Montreal: Tsonga def. Simon 6-3 6-3 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Montreal: Tsonga def. Simon 6-3 6-3

straitup
08-14-2009, 12:49 AM
Apparently we shouldn't have taken anything from Tsonga's match with Schuettler and Simon's match with Dancevic

rocketassist
08-14-2009, 12:50 AM
Correct.

Tennis >>> pushing.

The fire of all that is good about the game still flickers.

Tsonganator
08-14-2009, 12:51 AM
Do you live in an alternate universe?:confused:

Laba
08-14-2009, 12:51 AM
Good win, Jo.

Action Jackson
08-14-2009, 12:52 AM
Not a bad day when Simple Simon loses.

Guy Haines
Apparently we shouldn't have taken anything from Tsonga's match with Schuettler and Simon's match with Dancevic

I'd say.

Gilles continues to disappoint. Tsonga now is 2-1 against him.

Gilles' first serve was at 43% today and he was 0 for 7 on break points. :o

Destined for the top 20, and playing that way.

Now begins the chorus of all who "know" :lol: how tennis should be played. Aggressively or not at all. :yawn:

Henry Chinaski
I assume you mean Schuettler

Good result for tennis and unexpectedly easy. He'll have to play an unreal match to trouble Fed though. Simon would've been more likely to take out the Swiss clown there

Cloudygirl
that was actually a really high quality match. Jo is in good form and if he plays like that tomorrow will be a battle for whoever he plays.

simplet
08-14-2009, 12:53 AM
Tsonga was very impressive. Simon wasn't that bad either. Very entertaining match

Tess Gray
Entertaining match!:)

Henry Chinaski
Correct.

Tennis >>> pushing.

The fire of all that is good about the game still flickers.

haha very poetic

oranges
08-14-2009, 12:54 AM
Nice :D

straitup
08-14-2009, 12:55 AM

Good result for tennis and unexpectedly easy. He'll have to play an unreal match to trouble Fed though. Simon would've been more likely to take out the Swiss clown there

Woah haha, thanks for telling me that...I apparently was thinking of Tsonga's win over Benneteau at RG this year :eek:

I wish Simon would've done better, but there's not a whole lot of shame in losing to Tsonga I guess

rocketassist

If Fed plays as shaky as he has been the last few months, Jo has a shot. I mean Del Potro almost beat him and he matches up like shit against Fed (big hitters are usually cheap microwave food for Fed) but he needs a good day on serve as Fed's serve has been his main asset in that time.

Guy Haines
haha very poetic

Hallmark Card.

But I'm cranky.

If Jo actually plays decent against Federer it'll be worth it. He folded like a cheap tent the one time they played.

rubbERR
08-14-2009, 12:56 AM
Simon is mug form anyway so this is not big win.

ClaudiuS
08-14-2009, 12:58 AM
Simon is crap

lalaland
08-14-2009, 12:59 AM
But Jo really plays very well today. Good luck tomorrow against Fed.

shadows
Decent match, both guys played pretty well though Simon served poorly. Jo looked like a whole different player from the guy who played Schuettler, good signs there ^^

Corey Feldman
Tsonga and Murray looking best players so far this week

Henry Chinaski
08-14-2009, 01:00 AM
If Fed plays as shaky as he has been the last few months, Jo has a shot. I mean Del Potro almost beat him and he matches up like shit against Fed (big hitters are usually cheap microwave food for Fed) but he needs a good day on serve as Fed's serve has been his main asset in that time.

yeah hard to see how Tsonga can break all-serve Fed though. he's such a clown returner these days. seems like ages since he beat anyone with a decent serve.

Sunset of Age
08-14-2009, 01:01 AM
Well done, Jo-Willie. Glad to see you come through. :hatoff:

Burrow
08-14-2009, 01:02 AM
Tsonga still does that ridiculous thing after winning a match? It looks so put on and very cringe worthy to watch, even worse than his hair :o

Corey Feldman
08-14-2009, 01:03 AM
Tsonga still does that ridiculous thing after winning a match? It looks so put on and very cringe worthy to watch, even worse than his hair :oyou racist badtard

Tsonganator
08-14-2009, 01:04 AM
Very insightful opinions, bitter that a new persona has replaced Safin?

simplet
08-14-2009, 01:05 AM
Tsonga still does that ridiculous thing after winning a match? It looks so put on and very cringe worthy to watch, even worse than his hair :o

his hair is AWESOME

Gretchen.
08-14-2009, 01:06 AM
Jo played a very aggressive game and made some lovely volleys :inlove:

Should give Fed a real battle!

ballbasher101
08-14-2009, 01:06 AM
There is no need to say it again but I will say it just for the sake of it, Tsonga is just a better player. I expected a close match but Tsonga had other ideas.

Henry Chinaski
08-14-2009, 01:08 AM
his hair is AWESOME

damn straight

habibko
08-14-2009, 01:13 AM
one more Simon, you just had to go one more :(

on a less grudge-filled note, always great to prove once again that
attacking tennis >>>>> pushing tennis, could be a dangerous one for Fed this one :unsure:

rtgy
08-14-2009, 01:19 AM
one more Simon, you just had to go one more :(

:lol: I love Fed fans....he still owns him;) is he?:lol:

Burrow
08-14-2009, 01:21 AM
you racist badtard

Love how obsessed you've become with me.

Makes me feel good.

Swiss Mountain
08-14-2009, 01:27 AM
Jo played a very aggressive game and made some lovely volleys :inlove:

Should give Fed a real battle!

Hope better than in madrid last year, Roger was so bored

Arkulari
08-14-2009, 01:31 AM
Great match for Tsonga :D
Simon wasn't that bad, is it just that Tsonga was the better player, that's all :shrug:
He has one hell of a chance against Roger now, who's not looking exactly solid :unsure:

the graduate
08-14-2009, 01:46 AM
:devil:you have no shame moron....you must be an old fat dude:p

habibko
08-14-2009, 01:48 AM
:lol: I love Fed fans....he still owns him;) is he?:lol:

he kinda does, that's the whole point :(

Burrow
08-14-2009, 01:49 AM
I clicked this thread expecting my name is quotes and yes, I was correct.

Yes, really old, 5'10'' and 300lbs.

GlennMirnyi
08-14-2009, 01:51 AM
Great stuff.

whattheheck
08-14-2009, 01:51 AM
I think both were impressive.

betowiec
08-14-2009, 01:53 AM
lets see what's JO can do vs Fed

Mint Chip
08-14-2009, 01:55 AM
The ballbasher won :o No surprises here. Wish he would of read the serves that were mostly going to the backhand side. Federer is so going to beat Tsonga :) Federer isn't going to lose to this dipstick

Corey Feldman
08-14-2009, 02:09 AM
Tsonga = pusher Killa

scarecrows
08-14-2009, 05:41 AM
he's back

HattonWBA
08-14-2009, 07:07 AM
Good win for Tsonga

Chiakifug
08-14-2009, 12:16 PM
Very entertaining game, both were playing well and it was great to see the two styles clashing.

Chiakifug
08-14-2009, 12:18 PM
The ballbasher won :o No surprises here. Wish he would of read the serves that were mostly going to the backhand side. Federer is so going to beat Tsonga :) Federer isn't going to lose to this dipstick

Ballbasher? :spit:

What is it with MTF that any player who plays offensively is labelled a ballbasher and defensive players are pushers? :scratch: Its so repetitive.

Mint Chip
08-14-2009, 05:02 PM
Ballbasher? :spit:

What is it with MTF that any player who plays offensively is labelled a ballbasher and defensive players are pushers? :scratch: Its so repetitive.

Not all offensive players are ballbashers and Tsonga is a ballbasher at its finest. Every shot that he hits is either hard and harder. He goes for shots that he shouldn't even go for. If thats not ballbashing then what is :confused:

oranges
08-14-2009, 05:20 PM
Not all offensive players are ballbashers and Tsonga is a ballbasher at its finest. Every shot that he hits is either hard and harder. He goes for shots that he shouldn't even go for. If thats not ballbashing then what is :confused:

If you aren't blind, I'm not sure where the problem is :confused:

Ichiban1920
08-14-2009, 05:47 PM

You're a moron. In your mind Nadull is an "offensive player". 90 percent of players in this current mug era are one-dimensional baseline pushers, grinders and moonballers and the few real tennis players with game in your mind are just simply ballbashers? Stop posting about tennis because you know nothing about it. Moron.

Mint Chip
08-14-2009, 06:03 PM
You're a moron. In your mind Nadull is an "offensive player". 90 percent of players in this current mug era are one-dimensional baseline pushers, grinders and moonballers and the few real tennis players with game in your mind are just simply ballbashers? Stop posting about tennis because you know nothing about it. Moron.

Nadal isn't even an offensive player and I never said he was. Players that actually plays tennis don't try to hit the fuss off of the ball. They mix the pace up not by pushing the ball back deep. I've watched enough tennis to know that a player in this era only knows how to do one thing and thats hit the ball hard. They can't even slice. You are obvious a fan of players that just hits hard with no variety.

Truc
08-14-2009, 06:35 PM
Hitting the crap out of the ball is a basic fature of Tsonga's game, he says that often enough himself. When he was asked about his gameplan for the Haas match in Halle, he answered: "Hit the ball hard."
I'm not exactly interested in discussing the MTF concepts of ballbasher, pusher, etc. but I don't know why everybody seems so shocked by Mint Chip's post.

MacArthur
08-14-2009, 06:44 PM
Hit the ball hard is a basic feature of modern tennis. It has nothing to do with Jo, nor Gilles if it matters.

Ballbasher isn't about hitting hard, it is about hitting only hard and harder, and harder,... Someone who chips and charge, volleys, changes the pace with his dropshots (...) like Jo was doing yesterday against Gilles, doesn't deserve the term ballbasher.

Hit the ball hard doesn't make you a ballbasher.

Though if you absolutely want to call him like that, do as you please. I am just answering to your question, Truc.

simplet
08-14-2009, 06:45 PM
Hitting the crap out of the ball is a basic fature of Tsonga's game, he says that often enough himself. When he was asked about his gameplan for the Haas match in Halle, he answered: "Hit the ball hard."
I'm not exactly interested in discussing the MTF concepts of ballbasher, pusher, etc. but I don't know why everybody seems so shocked by Mint Chip's post.

Because it's a gross oversimplification of Tsonga's style of play? He just said right here that Tsonga couldn't slice, which is absolutely false : how many time in this very match did he play a short angled backhand slice to draw Simon to the net?

I mean Tsonga hits the ball hard, they're no denying that, what we're saying is that he's far fffffffffaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrr from doing only that. Andreev is a ballbasher for example, Tsonga is not. He can slice, he has awesome volleys and dropshots, etc. He is actually a very complete player, just an agressive one.

Truc
08-14-2009, 06:56 PM
Of course it's an oversimplification, but just like all those terms used on GM. No player is just pushing either. We see way worse generalizations on MTF all day long, so I have no idea why everybody jumped on Mint for saying that and said (s)he must be blind. I think even Jo wouldn't deny that he often just tries to hit the ball as hard as he can.

simplet
08-14-2009, 07:06 PM
Hmm if you want to divide neatly all the tennis players into two camps, pushers and ballbashers, I guess you can. It's just that people use those terms as insults, to say that players are one-dimensional and can't play or never play any other way. There are players that cannot or will not do anything else than smack the ball, "ballbashers" in the strict sense of the word, like Tursunov or Blake sometimes. Tsonga is not one of them.

oranges
08-14-2009, 07:27 PM

In my case, because of the response to Chiakifug asking about the tendency to oversimplify. If you want to that, than he'll be the ballbasher in that division. Mintchip obviously doesn't think it's an oversimplification, but an accurate description of his game, which is pretty ridiculous, if for no other reason, than because he plays a truly allcourt game for the most part. Perhaps he's hitting volleys as hard as he can too all the time, because after all there's no strategy and variation involved :silly:

Ichiban1920
08-14-2009, 07:40 PM
If offensive/aggressive tennis is considered "ballbashing" these days, I'll gladly take that anyday over one-dimensional back of the court "pushing".

Corey Feldman
08-14-2009, 08:07 PM
thesedays you are either a ballbasher or a pusher

Nidhogg
08-14-2009, 10:08 PM
I've heard Söderling being called a ballbasher on numerous ocassions, and I agree with what was earlier stated here. A ballbasher just hits harder, over the top-shots, every time the ball comes back over the net. Söderling looks to impose himself and his game on his opponents right from the start in rallies with his serve and return (the latter being quite underrated) and follow it up with heavy hitting to dominate and take charge. Lately he has been working on coming forward which has helped him a great deal. He hits hard and flat, but it's not out of control. He's capable of playing in a high tempo.

My apologies for going way off topic. ;)