Istanbul R2: Fischer defeats [wc] Dimitrov 6-4 7-6(4) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Istanbul R2: Fischer defeats [wc] Dimitrov 6-4 7-6(4)

Gaudio2004
08-13-2009, 10:59 PM
Really disappointing loss for Dimitrov, there are signs that he appears to be very, very overrated. I don't think he's going to make it into the top 20 for at least 4 or 5 years.

Certinfy
08-13-2009, 11:04 PM
Oh dear...

straitup
08-13-2009, 11:06 PM
He's way too inconsistent...let's look at some of his losses this year

Stefano Ianni
Nikola Ciric
Jesse Witten
Then he beats Berdych and loses to Nadal in 3 sets, Simon in 3 sets, Istomin in 3
Then more losses to Udomchoke, Van Der Merwe, Darcis, and Amritraj before losing in a challenger F to Becker
Loses to Bozoljac, a tight loss to Simon in 2, and then he retires against Kunitsyn at Wimbledon
Then he's lost to Canas and Nikola Mektic (who is that?), and then makes a challenger F and loses to Granollers

Just a strange season

ClaudiuS
08-13-2009, 11:06 PM
The Future GOAT isn't? :lol:

I believe that with enough luck he could reach the Top 10.

Gaudio2004
08-13-2009, 11:07 PM
He isn't even the GOAT of challengers or anything like that, nothing special about this kid.

ClaudiuS
08-13-2009, 11:16 PM
Grigor Dimitrov being labeled as a future GOAT was just one of the funniest stuffs that have appeared recently in this forum. 3 Futures titles at the age of 18.

Okay....If this forum would have existed at the end of the 80s it would have crash massively for 2 months, because of one German legend named BORIS BECKER. ;)

Rishar
08-13-2009, 11:17 PM
Guys, you want from it too much. It still the young player and shortly I think will declare myself and at it the big prospects. Sometimes there is no stability, but it will come in due course. Federer too not at once began to win all! In general it was pleasant in Segovia. The good serve, confident game of a volley, not bad holds a ball on a back line.

CooCooCachoo
08-13-2009, 11:36 PM

Stefano Ianni
Nikola Ciric
Jesse Witten
Then he beats Berdych and loses to Nadal in 3 sets, Simon in 3 sets, Istomin in 3
Then more losses to Udomchoke, Van Der Merwe, Darcis, and Amritraj before losing in a challenger F to Becker
Loses to Bozoljac, a tight loss to Simon in 2, and then he retires against Kunitsyn at Wimbledon
Then he's lost to Canas and Nikola Mektic (who is that?), and then makes a challenger F and loses to Granollers

Just a strange season

There's a trend in his losses: Grigor struggles against pushers and players with unconventional game styles. I haven't seen Ciric or Mektic play, but Ianni, Witten and especially Fischer are counterpunchers or pushers who don't do that much with the ball (though Ianni can quite easily self-destruct even with the counterpuncher game plan) and let Grigor make the mistakes. I would sort of put Udomchoke and Darcis in that category too; they are also not great shot makers. Van der Merwe and Amritraj have a serve-and-volleying game style that might unsettle him too.

straitup
08-13-2009, 11:40 PM
There's a trend in his losses: Grigor struggles against pushers and players with unconventional game styles. I haven't seen Ciric or Mektic play, but Ianni, Witten and especially Fischer are counterpunchers or pushers who don't do that much with the ball (though Ianni can quite easily self-destruct even with the counterpuncher game plan) and let Grigor make the mistakes. I would sort of put Udomchoke and Darcis in that category too; they are also not great shot makers. Van der Merwe and Amritraj have a serve-and-volleying game style that might unsettle him too.

I still find it weird that he was able to take Nadal to 3 sets, but can struggle mightily with the ultimate counterpuncher in Ianni. :eek: Even though I'm not really familiar with him a whole lot, he's had bizarre results this year

rocketassist
08-14-2009, 12:14 AM
Give him time, although he's overhyped-Gasquet style (cause his backhand is sexy doesn't mean he will be a grand slam contender)

Quadruple Tree
08-14-2009, 12:30 AM
It's not just fanboys that were hyping him. Peter Lundgren, who is the coach that made Federer into the player he is today, said that Dmitrov had more talent than Roger at the same age, so it's disappointing to see he hasn't really made a break through. By the time the top players of the last 10 years were 18, they were already in the top 100 or just outside. Grigor is no where near that level right now.

Burrow
08-14-2009, 12:34 AM
He's only just 18 for god's sake, who really cares anyway? He's a dick.

DekuTheEvilClown
08-14-2009, 12:35 AM

Stefano Ianni
Nikola Ciric
Jesse Witten

Just a strange season

The Granollers and Becker matches were both QF's. He's never got beyond the QF's of a Challenger event.

straitup
08-14-2009, 12:36 AM
The Granollers and Becker matches were both QF's. He's never got beyond the QF's of a Challenger event.

Oops my bad...well of course that helps my point

HattonWBA
08-14-2009, 07:04 AM
He's still Young, hopefully he can fulfill his potential as opposed to being the next donald young or even Gulbis for that matter

delpiero7
08-14-2009, 09:37 AM
The guy does have a bit of time left before the GOAT talk will start to seem massively premature. Murray was ranked 375 when he turned 18, and Dimitrov was ranked 372 on his 18th birthday. Not that Murray is considered a future GOAT candidate (other than by his fangirls).

He'll need to make big strides in the next few months though. The current top 6 were all ranked comfortably inside the top 100 on their 19th birthdays. Infact, Djokovic at 63 was the only player outside the top 50. So I reckon top 100 by next birthday should be the minimum target for Dimitrov.

Bilbo
08-14-2009, 09:57 AM
the 2nd berdych

never in doubt though

Forehander
08-14-2009, 10:00 AM
Shut up. He's the future GOAT.

Ad Wim
08-14-2009, 10:01 AM
Harrison, Del Bonis and Cervantes are just as big talents, but you don't see a thread about them on GM about every match they play...

fast_clay
08-14-2009, 10:10 AM
Harrison, Del Bonis and Cervantes are just as big talents, but you don't see a thread about them on GM about every match they play...

that is the burden tomic and dimitrov will be saddled with... should be character building if they dont cave... i mean, it wouldnt be the first time highly touted juniors crumble in the pros... but, tbh, greg has enough solid matches at tour level to prove to himself that he belongs...

FedererBulgaria
08-14-2009, 10:13 AM
Look at his result at the start of the season PLS....look now....look next year....when he will be just 19!

Ad Wim
08-14-2009, 10:38 AM
Look at Cervantes. Only half a year older, higher in rankings, already won a challenger and has done it all on his own strength, without getting lots of WCs to ATP-tournaments...

fast_clay
08-14-2009, 10:42 AM
Look at Cervantes. Only half a year older, higher in rankings, already won a challenger and has done it all on his own strength, without getting lots of WCs to ATP-tournaments...

the long road... is better... as in... not hollow...

CooCooCachoo
08-14-2009, 10:57 AM

Dimitrov > Cervantes, without a doubt. Have you seen Iñigo play? He's your typical Spanish claycourter without much hope for the future. I like watching him play, and he has done well to get his ranking up, but I don't see much potential. Dimitrov on the other hand is very rough around the edges, but should be Top 50 at the very least.

Ad Wim
08-14-2009, 11:04 AM
Yeah, but we had and still have a lot of guys with massive potential but which never comes to surface. Then I'd prefer a guy like Cervantes, who delivers...

feuselino
08-14-2009, 11:29 AM
Nice for Fischer. He used to tear through the U10, U12 etc. tournaments in my region when I played U14 etc. Nice to see he's climbing up the ranks, and now a win against future GOAT Dimitrov...

CooCooCachoo
08-14-2009, 11:35 AM
Yeah, but we had and still have a lot of guys with massive potential but which never comes to surface. Then I'd prefer a guy like Cervantes, who delivers...

It depends on what you define as delivering. He hasn't really beaten anyone that impressive, I think.

W - Belyaev (2), Fufygin, Kudryavtsev, G. Jones, Marchenko, Elgin, Dasnières de Véigy, Stebe, Ritschard, Raditschnigg, Rexach Itoiz, J. Sousa (2), Palacios, E. Rodriguez, Clar-Rossello, Chadaj, Genaro-Martinez (2), Couillard, Paire, Bennani, Dolgopolov Jr., Kallias, Steinberger, G. Granollers-Pujol (2), Rodriguez-Mayoralas, Cuenca, Martin-Adalia, Idmbarek, Erramy, J. Pospisil, Saber, Jakupovic, Dellacqua

L - Brown, Marchenko, Kukushkin, Ramos-Vinolas (2), Reister, Migani, Perevoshchikov, Jaziri, Kretschmer, Meffert, Crivoi, Bautista-Agut, Cermak, F. Piccari, Menendez (2), Villagran, Dutra da Silva

So the biggest names he has beaten are Kudryavtsev and a, then still waaay out of form, Dolgopolov Jr. Iñigo has done well to get himself up from Futures to Challengers, and even win one of the weakest Challengers around, but someone with his ability should be glad to crack the Top 200. You cannot possibly compare him to Dimitrov, I think.

Audacity
08-14-2009, 03:39 PM
More than likely he won't live up to his expectations.

Burrow
08-14-2009, 03:49 PM
Guy's nothing.

Big man Marat Safin was beating legends of the game in defending champion Gustavo Kuerten and Andre Agassi at Roland Garros in 98'

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :woohoo:

Audacity
08-14-2009, 03:53 PM
At the age of 19 Hewitt had won a title on all 3 major surfaces... a year later became world number 1 and won a grand slam.

Bilbo
08-14-2009, 04:18 PM
At the age of 19 Hewitt had won a title on all 3 major surfaces... a year later became world number 1 and won a grand slam.

that's why he's a living legend

Gaudio2004
08-14-2009, 04:20 PM

Dimitrov is a different player to Cervantes and he certainly seems more naturally talented and actually more able to play different styles - while Cervantes is just your usual Spanish c-courter.

Comparing Dimitrov to Lleyton Hewitt? Already wrong there, unless Dimitrov is inside the top 20, don't even compare them. He is no where near the level that Hewitt was at 18 or 19.

fast_clay
08-14-2009, 04:46 PM
that's why he's a living legend

Lleyton Hewitt >>> or = Micheal Jackson

probably >>> cos he is still breathing...