Rafa at Montreal: The Loser Ass we all love to pieces is back again:woohoo: [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Rafa at Montreal: The Loser Ass we all love to pieces is back again:woohoo:

tennizen
08-06-2009, 09:05 PM
Rafito is back:woohoo: Here's hoping he wins at least a couple of matches:awww:

tennizen
08-06-2009, 09:12 PM
Airport video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv0OmT_hBUY

Minn
08-06-2009, 09:36 PM
I hope his knees are good. I also hope Metis is around for MIT.

Getta
08-06-2009, 11:37 PM
quarter-finals

acionescu
08-07-2009, 09:47 AM
I'm waiting for the draw :scared: :unsure:

Foxy
08-07-2009, 01:31 PM
Rock and Roll, baby.
Put me down for the big fat win!

shawshank
08-07-2009, 05:00 PM
Sad news :( Just read this article from Montreal Gazette.

MONTREAL — Rafael Nadal arrived at Dorval airport just as Wednesday night turned into Thursday morning, and was testing out the stadium court at the Rogers Cup around dinnertime Thursday.

As for his great rival, Roger Federer, there still was no definite word as of late Thursday, even though tournament director Eugene Lapierre was checking his Blackberry like clockwork.

After watching Nadal practice for nearly two hours Thursday one thing's for sure: the Rafa fans will see this week could be a shadow of the Rafa they're used to.

Hopefully a lot of it was jet lag, general stiffness after a long flight from his hometown of Manacor, Mallorca.

He didn't look very good and he wasn't pushing it.

Nadal's coach and uncle, Toni Nadal, isn't with him. He used surrogate coach Francisco Roig as a hitting partner.

For the first hour and half, it was mostly forehands, a few backhands. Even after an hour, Nadal was still spraying the ball all over the place.

If he asked Roig once, he asked him a hundred times: Was it out?

Most often, it was.

Or it was in the net.

He was getting pretty aggravated about it, too, although there were no racquets tossed in anger.

Nadal did not test his battered knees Thursday, which were not taped. He moved more than two steps to hit a ball maybe two dozen times in all. When he did, he looked awkward - particularly when he was practicing returning serves on the deuce side of the court, moving towards his right to hit a backhand.

A couple of times, he grabbed those sore knees.

Until last week, there was doubt that Nadal would show up for this tournament - his first since a surprising loss to Swede Robin Soderling at the French Open more than two months ago.

He didn't grant any interviews Thursday. But in an interview on Spanish television last week, he waffled about whether he would be here; clearly, even though he was only practicing with Uncle Toni, it wasn't going too well.

Three days ago, Toni Nadal said on Spanish radio that Nadal would show, but warned not to expect much. "It's another thing to know what standard he will be at. I imagine he won't be in very good condition." he said. "He has been training but without really pushing it very much. To see what form he's in we'll have to see how he copes in a proper match."

On his website Thursday, Nadal said that he was basically starting from scratch, and that the tournaments in Canada and the U.S. would be "very complicated."

He also said that for nearly two months, he had been undergoing five hours of treatment every day.

All that doesn't sound too promising, does it?

But the main thing is that he's here. You know the competitor in him won't allow anything less than full effort.

It will be a challenge, because as a Masters 1000 event, the level at the Rogers Cup is extremely high. Nadal could get someone like Lleyton Hewitt, or rising American Sam Querrey, or the hot Tommy Haas, or the huge-serving Ivo Karlovic in his very first match.

The radio silence from Federer, meanwhile, is a little curious.

He's been cagey all season about what tournaments he would miss because of the birth of what turned out to be twin girls.

Most of that was because he didn't want to reveal the due date; and, as it turned out, the girls came early.

He surely has to know by now whether he's going to jump on a plane to Montreal this weekend. It's not exactly a decision you make on short notice - especially because he's due in Cincinnati the following week for another tournament; it's not just a quick hop and then back home to the wife and babies.

Federer has until this afternoon to officially pull out; the draw is set for 3 p.m. But his agent told Lapierre he would let him know Thursday.

Meanwhile, defending Montreal champion Novak Djokovic was out practicing Thursday - twice. Several of the other top players were also on the practice courts, including Frenchmen Gilles Simon and Gael Monfils, and Croatia's Marin Cilic

We'll see how Nadal looks Friday, when he hits the practice courts again.

tennizen
08-07-2009, 05:08 PM
I predict Final

tennizen
08-07-2009, 05:11 PM
^^ Reg. that article Nadal's official website says his practice went fine. He is bound to be a bit out of touch anyways.

Metis
08-07-2009, 05:34 PM
It's been so long :sobbing:

I hope Rafa doesn't lose his first match. The FAIL photos have accumulated and need to be used. :armed:

How far will Rafa go in Montreal? :scared: :unsure: (1000 points)

1st - Bye
2nd - DERO, MariaV, Metis, wildegirl05
3rd - Bibberz
QF - acionescu, coonster14, Getta, Minn, Mixo, nashty, SnooFoo
SF - star
F - tennizen
W - Foxy, LinkMage, wilmar

I hope his knees are good. I also hope Metis is around for MIT.

I am always around for MIT. :armed: It is my top priority. :D

Metis
08-07-2009, 05:43 PM
So the draw will be out in less than 3 hours? :scared: :unsure:

acionescu
08-07-2009, 06:02 PM
This bye guy sounds dangerous :scared: :unsure:

Those poor knees :bigcry: :bigcry:

Mixo
08-07-2009, 08:19 PM
I say QF

Castafiore
08-07-2009, 09:15 PM
Draw (http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2009/421/mds.pdf)

Rafa's first opponent is the winner of the Troicki vs Ferrer match.

tennizen
08-07-2009, 09:17 PM
He's likely to meet Soderking again:scared:

Getta
08-07-2009, 09:23 PM

Hmmm, Delpo most likely.

safinafan
08-07-2009, 09:42 PM
good luck rafito :hug:I know that in a few months he will be our old and good Rafa again

LinkMage
08-08-2009, 12:20 AM
MIT prediction: WIN :zzz:

Minn
08-08-2009, 04:09 AM
I am always around for MIT. :armed: It is my top priority. :D Glad to hear it. I'm going with a conservative QF for now but I'm tempted to take it up a notch.

acionescu
08-08-2009, 08:51 AM
QF :bigcry: :bigcry:

playing Ferrer in the 2nd round, poor knees :awww: :hug:

Turquoise
08-08-2009, 01:20 PM
Welcome back Nadal :hug: I've missed you. Take little steps, you'll hit your stride eventually. Good luck!

nashty
08-08-2009, 02:18 PM
QF please.

Rafan
08-08-2009, 02:58 PM
I'm just grateful that he is back:D

wildegirl05
08-08-2009, 05:35 PM
i'm going with round 2 :sad: prove me wrong, rafito :hug:

Metis
08-08-2009, 05:41 PM
i'm going with round 2 :sad: prove me wrong, rafito :hug:

same for me :sad:

star
08-08-2009, 05:47 PM
Semi.

dorkino
08-08-2009, 09:09 PM
Rafito is back:woohoo: Here's hoping he wins at least a couple of matches:awww:

Ditto

Sad news :( Just read this article from Montreal Gazette.

After watching Nadal practice for nearly two hours Thursday one thing's for sure: the Rafa fans will see this week could be a shadow of the Rafa they're used to.

Expected. Hope Rafa can recover again. I miss competitive tennis and happy ending matches. :sad: . And something is telling me, it's still a bad decision to play Montreal . Apparently Rafa hasn't fully recovered and to make an early return on hard courts is surely not the best decision. :shrug: :smash:

One of the worst opponents to meet under such circumstances.

Metis, I'm in for 2nd round.

Foxy
08-08-2009, 09:16 PM
Any news, pics or videos on Rafa's friday and/or saturday practice sessions?
Thanks.

hilluis
08-09-2009, 08:03 AM
Rafa is playing doubles with stand-in coach Francisco Roig ( age 41). Their first opponents are Djokovic/Demic.....!!!http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2009/421/mdd.pdf

Bibberz
08-09-2009, 05:05 PM
3rd Round.

safinafan
08-09-2009, 06:17 PM
8wQjqF92iGo&feature

star
08-09-2009, 06:29 PM
:hatoff:

Thanks, Safinafan.

DERO
08-10-2009, 12:15 AM
:sad:i'm going with round 2 :sad: prove me wrong, rafito :hug:

me tooo:sad:

Mixo
08-10-2009, 12:20 AM
When is he playing? Tuesday? Wednesday?

wilmar
08-10-2009, 02:04 AM
I predict a WIN.

coonster14
08-10-2009, 03:46 AM
if rafa wanted some testing matches, he sure has it.
lets see how his draw would go:
2nd round: Ferrer
3rd round: Robredo or Querrey[who has been on a great run]
QF: Del Potro [beat Rafa last time in Miami...]
SF: Roddick or Djoker [both are Rafa's whipping boys, but might beat him this time around]
F: Federer or Murray

best of luck to Rafa, but sadly I see him losing in the QF, hope Rafa proves me wrong and is able to defend his title.

Snoo Foo
08-10-2009, 08:35 AM
Qf

MariaV
08-10-2009, 08:41 AM
OK my prediction is.... 2nd round. :sad: Prove me wrong Rafa! :D

Eden
08-10-2009, 05:27 PM
Interview with Rafa from Montreal :)

http://www.tennistv.com/page/TennisTV/TournamentInterviews/Montreal/0,,11444~1748795,00.html

MariaV
08-10-2009, 08:39 PM
Thanks Doris.

LOL, Safinafan's video is from Eurosport with the Russian text.

kaylee
08-11-2009, 04:02 PM
We can't expect him to win the whole thing but be happy he is back playing matches. I believe his goal for the rest of the year is the US Open. He might get to QF or semis but if he meets Ferrer first round it is going to be a real test.

Metis
08-11-2009, 04:29 PM
8wQjqF92iGo&feature

the last 10 seconds of this video... :drool: :devil:

:rolls:

rafa_maniac
08-11-2009, 07:24 PM
2nd round. Don't care, just so glad he's back :bigcry: It's been refreshing having a few months not obsessing over tennis though :lol:

tennizen
08-12-2009, 02:36 AM
Rafa plays at 7 pm EST tomorrow against David Ferrer

Invisible
08-12-2009, 06:44 AM
I'll be happy if I'm wrong, but I'm going with 2nd round :o

shawshank
08-12-2009, 08:19 AM
I'm so happy to see Rafa again in order of play ;) I don't expect from him to much. I will go with quarterfinal. I think that Delpo will be to strong right now for Rafito.
Vamos Champion!

MariaV
08-12-2009, 08:29 AM
2nd round. Don't care, just so glad he's back :bigcry: It's been refreshing having a few months not obsessing over tennis though :lol:

:wavey: Yeah, the break was really welcome tbh. :lol:

Metis
08-12-2009, 04:44 PM
Rafa plays at 7 pm EST tomorrow against David Ferrer

:(

Looks like I'll have to wait for Cincinnati to watch a Nadal match... :sad:

Update:

1st - Bye
2nd - DERO, dorkino, Invisible, MariaV, Metis, rafa maniac, wildegirl05
3rd - Bibberz
QF - acionescu, coonster14, Getta, Minn, Mixo, nashty, shawshank, SnooFoo
SF - star
F - tennizen

dorkino
08-12-2009, 08:21 PM
:(

Looks like I'll have to wait for Cincinnati to watch a Nadal match... :sad:

Update:

I was in for second round. Don't see my name in the list ... :confused: :bigcry:

Metis
08-12-2009, 11:06 PM
I was in for second round. Don't see my name in the list ... :confused: :bigcry:

Sorry! I'm rusty after a 2 month break. :awww:

l_mac
08-13-2009, 12:01 AM
R3

tennizen
08-13-2009, 01:03 AM
Rafa played horribly in the seven games. Weak serve, horrible bh, lot of errors. Forehand seemed to be ok. Probably just rusty. Ferrer's retirement was a lucky break.

Foxy
08-13-2009, 07:18 AM
Can someone provide me with W/UE ratio for both players. And someone please who watched the match write a quick summary how he played. That sort of answers "Rafa played horribly" don't give me any information. Thanks.

Castafiore
08-13-2009, 07:54 AM
Transcript from the tournament website:

Wednesday, August 12, Rafael Nadal Interview

August 12, 2009

R. NADAL/D. Ferrer

4-3 (Ret.)

An interview with:

RAFAEL NADAL

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Little shorter than you might have liked today?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, I never expect this, this bad thing for David, so I just ?? I can say sorry to him and just wish him the very fast recovery to be ready for Cincinnati.

So, yeah, I know itís tough to have to go out and have to go out of court, so yeah, just sorry for him. And for me, it was nice have a victory like this, and I say before I here to improve every day, to enjoy every game, every point. Just like this, I going to have chances to be ready as fast as possible.

Q. How did you feel playing the match after such a long time?
RAFAEL NADAL: Sure, a little bit strange, no? The first movements is tough and hard to move well and to feel confident when you are touching the ball.

But, you know, thatís the normal thing. I have to ?? I must be happy, because I didnít play terrible. And the next round, I have another chance tomorrow to continuing to improve. Every match, every game is important to feel better for me.

Q. How are your knees?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, was okay. Need more days to have real test, but it was okay.

Q. Did you find the doubles matches helped you?

RAFAEL NADAL: Sure, the doubles is important or the two matches of doubles was important matches for me to start, to compete, no? Always these matches help me.

Q. Youíre saying that you like to learn more and more every day and youíre always trying to improve. Itís something to watch you on the court because we see if youíre practicing, learning a new skill like, for example, last year your serve on grass or your backhand changing maybe a little bit. The coach was telling me he saw a difference at the Australian Open. For the different surfaces youíre always improving a lot on the court, but I feel like the challenges youíve gone through in the last couple months are all challenges off the court. Do you see that as just another part of tennis, another element that you have to learn to prepare for dealing with injury, dealing with setbacks that youíre not used to facing?

RAFAEL NADAL: (Through translation.)

No, you know, the calendar is tough, and you donít have a lot of choices, no? For me, you can learn because the career always every year is an experience and you can learn about everything, but I think when you play, if not the one or the second who play more matches the last five years, itís normal to have some problems.

Q. What Iím saying is you see injury as just another part of tennis the same way a forehand is. Do you see setbacks off the court? Tennis is a very all?encompassing game.

THE MODERATOR: What is the question?

Q. Do you see injury, coming back from injury, as just another part of the game, just likeÖ

RAFAEL NADAL: Everybody, when you injury, you have to come back. What I can say? Is a normal thing of sports, so thatís it.

Q. Andy Roddick said the courts are very slow and the ball was moving slow. You felt that?

RAFAEL NADAL: The court was very slow?

Q. Yeah, the court was very slow.

RAFAEL NADAL: No, I didnít think so, no, no.

No, I donít know. Heís coming from Washington, no? So the feeling for the players always depends. If the week before you play in a faster place and next week you play in a little bit of slower place, you feel like itís very slow. And if youíre playing in a slow place and the next week you play in a little bit faster, you feel like itís very fast. So itís always depends on the last feeling you had.

I think the court is not very fast and not very slow. I think itís between.

Q. What was the feeling of walking out on a court for a real match again after all that time?

RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, itís always a pleasure to come back, and the feeling ?? well, only happen one month and a half; itís not three years outside of tennis. Thatís the true, no?

Sure, itís happy to come back here and playing another time. But the feeling is normal, like always. I feel well when I go on court all the time, and today wasnít an exception.

Sure, when you have a few time outside of competition, when you come back itís a little bit more exciting.

Q. Can you give an example of how hardcourts are tougher on your body than maybe clay courts or grass courts?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, letís talk about the same, no? I say 200,000 times, yeah, the hardcourt is tougher for the body than the grass and clay. No doubt of that. I think nobody have a doubt of that. Thatís it.

Q. Were you trying to be a little careful today, or were you going all the way on your body?

RAFAEL NADAL: I tried. I tried everything, put my 100%, but when you come back from an injury, itís difficult to move well the first match. You have more matches to get the confidence of the movements, on the feeling of the ball, so I need more time.

Q. Is it a positive first match? Is it a positive first test?

RAFAEL NADAL: Anything gonna be ?? everything gonna be positive. Only bad thing can be is if I have another time problems with the knees, but the rest of the things, everything is positive, no? Every match, every point. Because everything is helping me to be ready as soon as possible when I return to my level.

Right now Iím probably not at my best level, but everything is important. If I lose tomorrow and if I have a match, is it going to be interesting for me to have more hours on court?

Q. You struggled with your first serve. Are you a little bit disappointed about that?

RAFAEL NADAL: No, itís ?? itís normal. The feeling, itís different now because I practice during the afternoon and the ball was faster than right now, the night. The ball was bigger.

No, I didnít ?? I was serving really well, all the day, practicing. The first day, first match, a little bit nervous. At the same time, David is a big returner.

At the same time, I want to push a little bit more than usual. After, when I had the 3?All, the match from 3?2 to 3?3, I have some serves slow. I was serving 190, 195, 200, and in this game, I had some serve, 175, so thatís give me more confidence, no?

Q. Can you just talk about your next opponent.

RAFAEL NADAL: Heís a very aggressive player, no? Very good serve, very good forehand.

Today he had very good win against Robredo. Yeah, sure, every match going to be very difficult for me.

http://www.rogerscup.com/men/english/interview/2009/R.Nadal_08.12.09.doc

Metis
08-13-2009, 08:12 AM
Nadal-Ferrer 4-3 ret. :(

1st - Bye
3rd - Bibberz, l_mac
SF - star
F - tennizen

DERO, dorkino, Invisible, MariaV, Metis, rafa maniac, wildegirl05: Oh well, we didn't know Ferru was injured. :shrug: This is a fluke FAIL :ras: but that doesn't mean we can't have our FAIL pic :D

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/fail-owned-penguin-photographer-fail.jpg?w=500&h=334

MariaV
08-13-2009, 08:25 AM
Excellent fail photo Metis! :hatoff: That was a fluke fail indeed! :bigcry: :tears: I need to get back in shape. :o :o

RAFAEL NADAL: He’s a very aggressive player, no? Very good serve, very good forehand.

/.../ Yeah, sure, every match going to be very difficult for me.

NID Rafa! He hasn't lost his touch off court. :D :worship: :bowdown: :worship: :bowdown: :worship: :bowdown:

Rafan
08-13-2009, 09:32 AM
Rafa always takes 1 set to get going. He was just getting into the swing of things. Hopefully tonight we will see how his knees are. Win or lose he is still looking great!

dorkino
08-13-2009, 01:54 PM
Missed the playing. I woke up about 40 minutes late of the original match time and all i saw was Rafaito gathering his bags. But he looked happy. :)

Posted by Maria V
NID Rafa! He hasn't lost his touch off court. :D :worship: :bowdown: :worship: :bowdown: :worship: :bowdown:

Ofcourse.

Originally posted by Metis
DERO, dorkino, Invisible, MariaV, Metis, rafa maniac, wildegirl05: Oh well, we didn't know Ferru was injured. :shrug: This is a fluke FAIL :ras: but that doesn't mean we can't have our FAIL pic :D

:lol: Lovely pic , Metis . You can get rusty , but you surely haven't lost your touch. :hug:

Originally posted By Tennizen
Rafa played horribly in the seven games. Weak serve, horrible bh, lot of errors. Forehand seemed to be ok. Probably just rusty. Ferrer's retirement was a lucky break.

Expected. :shrug:

tennizen
08-13-2009, 03:15 PM
Looks like he's a bit rusty with interviews too:lol:

Metis
08-13-2009, 07:27 PM
The interview :silly:

Excellent fail photo Metis! :hatoff: That was a fluke fail indeed! :bigcry: :tears: I need to get back in shape. :o :o

:lol: Lovely pic , Metis . You can get rusty , but you surely haven't lost your touch. :hug:

Metis
08-13-2009, 10:27 PM
Nadal-Petzschner 6-3 6-2 :yeah:

1st - Bye
3rd - Bibberz, l_mac
SF - star
F - tennizen

And here are Bibberz and l_mac, understandably looking not so happy with themselves :D

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/fail-owned-living-living-fossils-fail.jpg?w=500&h=375

shawshank
08-14-2009, 12:42 AM
R. NADAL/P. Petzschner

6 3, 6 2

An interview with:

RAFAEL NADAL

Q. Getting better every day?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, a little bit better, yeah. Well, he played very aggressive, having some good shots but a lot of mistakes. And I was there, no?
I think I say before the tournament my goal here is only try to improve every day, and I think I am doing. Anyway, I know tomorrow going to be a yeah. I am not the favorite for sure for the match of tomorrow, but the match sure going to it going to give me another rhythm. Anyway, the result, gonna be good experience with me to continuing improving in my level.

Q. How's the knee?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, very good, yeah.

Q. Did you feel that your footwork today was better, the footwork?
RAFAEL NADAL: A little bit better, I think, no? The movements was a little bit better. You know, I need more matches to get the rhythm, you know, the physical rhythm and tennis rhythm, because I move a little bit better but at the same time sometimes the position wasn't perfect, no? I need to adjust a little bit more the legs, the foots to play some shots, no?
So I think I am very happy because I am in quarterfinals. It's more than what I expected when I came here. So with one match and a half I have right now, and yeah, I expect to be ready for tomorrow, have a competition.

Q. What can you say about your opponent for tomorrow?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, he's playing well, no? Anyway, he's No. 5 in the world?

Q. 4. 6.
RAFAEL NADAL: 6? Del Potro is No. 6?
He's coming well, no? He won in Washington very good final, and he won today a very tough match. So he's coming with big confidence.
Yeah, good serve, good shots from the baseline. So, you know, I know he's a very tough opponent for me right now.

Q. The decision to enter the doubles competition with your coach, Francisco Roig, was that more of a strategic move for him to be able to look at your game closer side by side, or was it because you had nobody else like to play with because it was late entering?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, no, no. The first thing, no.
And the second thing was I decide to play doubles a few days before, few days before the competition, and I tried at the last moment to find a player but everybody was with everybody, no?

Q. Did you enjoy it, that experience?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, I think we played really well. Yeah, it was a nice experience. It was fun.
Well, for me, the goal of the doubles was only have one or two matches before the singles, no? So I just can say thank you very much to the organization to give me the wildcard. Wasn't a strategy or nothing. Only was to play a little bit more matches.

Q. What's the main difference between your footwork on the clay and on the hardcourt?
RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know, no? I think when you are in normal conditions it is a little bit different because on the hardcourt you play a little bit more inside court, inside the court. You play a little bit more aggressive.
Anyway, when I play well on clay, I did too. I played aggressive. So in the end, every surface is similar, no? If you have the control of the point, you have more chances to win the point.

Q. Are you trying to slide on hardcourts? You never try that?
RAFAEL NADAL: I slide a lot of times. Not like Monfils, but a lot of times.

Q. (In Spanish.)
RAFAEL NADAL: Well, better. I think the feeling is better that what I thought when I was on the plane coming to Montreal.
Yeah, sure. I am very happy, very happy to be here and to be in quarterfinals, very good for me.

Q. Do you feel confident having a chance to beat
Del Potro?
RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know if going to be to much right now, but you know, I love the competition and I gonna try my best to be ready to play the match tomorrow, no? Anyway, if I was if I don't at 100% I gonna try my best to be competitive.

Q. Do you worry about your ranking at all now?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, I worry about be well physically and later, when I am sure in that, my next goal is try to find my best performance in tennis, no? The ranking in the end I was for the last five years No. 1, No. 2 a lot of times; No. 2 especially. (Laughter.)
Then the ranking is very important, but be No. 1 doesn't make me more happy than when I am No. 2, no? Sure, this was a goal. I did. And would I love to come back to No. 1, but

Q. You wouldn't be upset if you dropped down to No. 3?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, doesn't matter, no, I think. In the end, the important thing is play well. The thing what makes me happy is be competitive to win important tournaments, no?

Q. The white shorts today, were they the ones you were supposed to wear at Wimbledon?
RAFAEL NADAL: No. No, it was different.

Q. Completely different?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah.

Q. (In Spanish.)
RAFAEL NADAL: No.

Q. Did Toni watch your match on TV?
RAFAEL NADAL: I hope so, yeah.

Q. Did you talk to him?
RAFAEL NADAL: No.

Q. Your father didn't play tennis very much, I don't think. But how much of your fight, your trying so hard, your competition part, how much comes from your father?
RAFAEL NADAL: I don't know. It's impossible to say that, no?
My father didn't is the only member of the family who never practice the sport, no? I think he did important things in different well, he's businessman and he did well, so I think he start from zero, and now he's a good businessman. I admire him for that.

Q. But when he watches you, he's very intense.
RAFAEL NADAL: He love to work. Yeah, he likes to win. But I think I prefer I like more than him.

Q. Besides playing tennis, what did you do in Montreal the last few days?
RAFAEL NADAL: I was having dinner in very good restaurants every day.

FastScripts by ASAP Sports

Getta
08-14-2009, 04:09 AM
Q. Do you worry about your ranking at all now?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, I worry about be well physically and later, when I am sure in that, my next goal is try to find my best performance in tennis, no? The ranking in the end I was for the last five years No. 1, No. 2 a lot of times; No. 2 especially. (Laughter.)
Then the ranking is very important, but be No. 1 doesn't make me more happy than when I am No. 2, no? Sure, this was a goal. I did. And would I love to come back to No. 1, but

Q. You wouldn't be upset if you dropped down to No. 3?
RAFAEL NADAL: No, doesn't matter, no, I think. In the end, the important thing is play well. The thing what makes me happy is be competitive to win important tournaments, no?

Rafa :yeah:

Only complete idiots are obsessed with rankings.

Minn
08-14-2009, 05:25 AM
And here are Bibberz and l_mac, understandably looking not so happy with themselves :D

http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/fail-owned-living-living-fossils-fail.jpg?w=500&h=375 :lol: Yep, that's just how I pictured them. ;)

Clara Bow
08-14-2009, 06:01 AM
Getta- I liked his comments about rankings as well. I don't think he needs to focus on his numbers- just needs to refind his form.

Rafan
08-14-2009, 09:47 AM
Rafa played well. it was the kind of match he needed to help build his confidence. Tonight he will step up a little. Fingers and toes all crossed :-)

Metis
08-15-2009, 04:15 AM
Nadal-Del Potro 6-7 1-6 :(

1st - Bye
3rd - Bibberz, l_mac
SF - star
F - tennizen

star, tennizen, Foxy, LinkMage, wilmar:

http://images.cheezburger.com/completestore/2009/6/5/128887058645943325.jpg

acionescu, coonster14, Getta, Minn, Mixo, nashty, shawshank, SnooFoo: well done :cool:

http://s3.amazonaws.com/bzzagent-bzzscapes-prod/bulletin-board-win---fail-blog--pictures-and-video-lrg.png

:D

Mimi
08-15-2009, 04:45 AM
he should have won the first set :mad:, oh well, oh well, he at least won 7 games :p

MariaV
08-15-2009, 09:56 AM
Uhhhhh, how unfortunate this TB. Rafa was up a mini-break and then a double mini-break at 5-2 and serving. :( :( :mad: Del Potro was hitting great but had Rafa won the TB things could've got a different turn. Plus I missed my sleep because of that. :(

Foxy
08-15-2009, 10:04 AM
I feel pretty optimistic about US Open. Rafa is on the right track. There are 2 more weeks to fix his strokes.
You may laugh but I want Rafa to draw his pigeon rog for the US Open semis if he is seeded number 3. :)

shawshank
08-15-2009, 12:18 PM
The first set with Delpo is the only thing I regret about Montreal. He shouldn't have wasted 5/2 lead. He played really good point for 6/2, but Delpo's lob was perfect.
Everything else was really good. Good practice matches, knees are ok, Xisca looked veeery nice, he even won a doubles match pairing with a Roig who looked like his grandfather :D I think we can stay positive about next weeks guys ;)
And I would also like Rafa to be in the half of draw with Federer at US.

tennizen
08-15-2009, 03:58 PM
Rafatitio's interview. Well at least he's happy:lol:

August 14, 2009

J. DEL POTRO/R. Nadal

7‑6, 6‑1

An interview with:

RAFAEL NADAL

Q. You had a good first set. After that you went a little bit down.
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah. Normal, no? I very happy with my first set, no? My best level after the injury, and I was playing very good, I think. So very happy about the matchup today, no?
It was a little bit normal after almost two months outside of competition. Was tough for me play at this level. I needed more concentration than usual.
Physically, too, mentally at the same time, was tough to be focused during all the match. I had big chance in the 5‑2. I played a great point for 6‑2, but he hit a good lob shot, no?
No, I'm very happy and everything was very positive today.

Q. The knees are fine?
RAFAEL NADAL: Yeah, the knees are very good, so that's very good. Yeah, I must be very happy about this tournament, yeah.

Q. So it's better than expected?
RAFAEL NADAL: The level of today, for sure. Yes, no? I played against Del Potro. Del Potro is coming after winning Washington. He's playing at very good level.
And I was at the same level as him in the first set, no? And I had big chance to win the first. So that's a very positive thing for me. I'm very happy about that.
I thought, you know, maybe if I won the first set I can relax a little bit in the second and try another time in the third, no? But, yeah, was tough to be concentrate all the time. You need a little bit more, more hours.

Q. Do you think that you can be somewhere near your best at the US Open? Do you think you have enough time to be playing your best tennis then?
RAFAEL NADAL: We will see in two weeks. Two weeks, we will see. Well, better in three.

Q. It was good to see you playing in the tournament.
RAFAEL NADAL: Thank you.

Q. It's a different question. Do you like or support an idea or a thought of a tennis All‑Star game like North American sporting of baseball, basketball, NHL All‑Star game? Same selection, same procedure by Internet voting, by the fan and journalist? Do you like or support or absolutely refuse this idea?
RAFAEL NADAL: Our All‑Star I think is the Masters Cup. I think that you can do a lot of things. It's an idea. I don't know. You can propose to the ATP.

star
08-15-2009, 05:43 PM
Q. It's a different question. Do you like or support an idea or a thought of a tennis All‑Star game like North American sporting of baseball, basketball, NHL All‑Star game? Same selection, same procedure by Internet voting, by the fan and journalist? Do you like or support or absolutely refuse this idea?
RAFAEL NADAL: Our All‑Star I think is the Masters Cup. I think that you can do a lot of things. It's an idea. I don't know. You can propose to the ATP.

Great response. :lol: :lol:

dorkino
08-15-2009, 10:14 PM
It won't be that easy facing Fed on the semis either. But all in all as Rafa said the ranking is not the priority now.

star
08-15-2009, 10:21 PM
I think most of the top players know that playing well is the goal. Rafa is looking toward playing better. Even if he hadn't had the injury layoff, the N.Am. hardcourts present a challenge for him.

dorkino
08-15-2009, 10:29 PM
I think most of the top players know that playing well is the goal. Rafa is looking toward playing better. Even if he hadn't had the injury layoff, the N.Am. hardcourts present a challenge for him.

That's True.