~~~~~~Andy's back on his turf in Montreal~~~~~~ [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

~~~~~~Andy's back on his turf in Montreal~~~~~~

Sapeod
08-03-2009, 04:59 AM
Andy's hardcourt season starts in a week in Montreal. Here's hoping he can make it 4 MS then :yeah:

Getta
08-04-2009, 12:08 PM
Andy's hardcourt season starts in a week in Montreal. Here's hoping he can make it 4 MS then :yeah:

Welcome on board. :D

Sapeod
08-05-2009, 11:46 AM
Welcome on board. :D
:yeah:

MsTree
08-05-2009, 08:35 PM
Good luck Andy! :D

scoobs
08-06-2009, 09:03 AM
roll on Monday and some real tennis again.

scoobs
08-06-2009, 08:42 PM
Andy's finishing his training block today ready to head on up to Canada.

scoobs
08-07-2009, 08:19 PM
Draw is out here: http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2009/421/mds.pdf

R2 - Lu or Chardy
R3 - Hewitt or Q or Safin or Monfils
QF - Gonzalez, Haas, Berdych, Davydenko
SF - Federer or Tsonga?
F - Djokovic or Nadal or ?

Sapeod
08-08-2009, 02:32 AM
Easy road to the trophy :)

amdany
08-08-2009, 04:47 PM
good luck Andy!!

Andi-M
08-09-2009, 10:53 AM
Andy looking very very fit and ready. im soo looking forward to this tournament.!!:woohoo:

I'd obviously love a victory this week and next week but I'd rather him sort his game out and work out how to get the right balance of attack and defence and if he loses in doing so, so be it. Its about getting it right at USO.

Goldenoldie
08-10-2009, 10:16 AM
I notice he's down to play doubles with Hutchins. Is this a pointer to the Davis Cup perhaps? Jamie is out of form and out of favour, so is Andy going to be expected to play 3 matches?

scoobs
08-10-2009, 10:28 AM
Plus Andy gets on really well with Ross, and I think Andy likes to help Ross get into some tournaments he might not be able to otherwise play.

And it gives Andy a bit of extra match practice after a lengthy layoff, so it's win all round.

Eden
08-10-2009, 04:31 PM
:wavey:

Interview with Andy from Montreal:

http://www.tennistv.com/page/TennisTV/TournamentInterviews/Montreal/0,,11444~1748789,00.html

scoobs
08-11-2009, 05:34 AM
Chardy d. Lu 67 63 64 and so it's Chardy who will play Andy for the first time today.

Match is not before 1pm local time - 6pm UK time.

I would rather have seen a little revenge for the Olympics last year but it will be interesting to see how the flashy Chardy's game matches up with Andy's.

Betty
08-11-2009, 09:47 AM
let go andyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

:D :scared:

MurrayFan1
08-11-2009, 01:32 PM
Haha, I had a feeling that was the guy who beat him at the Olympics. I remember watching that at work on my break completely stunned!

I love this tournament, it has a real grand slam feel about it, nice big stadiums, great line-up. I watched Monfils-Safin last night, great stuff.

amdany
08-11-2009, 06:47 PM
he won :banana:

scoobs
08-11-2009, 06:59 PM
64 62 the margin.

Good enough - and a bit more, without really finding close to top gear.

Sterner challenges will come.

Ferrero or Monfils is the R3 opponent, on Thursday.

scoobs
08-11-2009, 07:18 PM
How nice for you.

08-11-2009, 10:37 PM
I'm glad Andy is back playing tennis and certainly glad he won :D However, U.S. coverage of the Tournament doesn't start until the 13th so I hope at some point I will actually get to see Andy play ;)

scoobs
08-11-2009, 10:47 PM
I'm glad Andy is back playing tennis and certainly glad he won :D However, U.S. coverage of the Tournament doesn't start until the 13th so I hope at some point I will actually get to see Andy play ;)
Thursday? You should do - Andy won't play now until Thursday.

Andi-M
08-11-2009, 10:49 PM
Into R3 :yeah: keep rollin Andy

decrepitude
08-12-2009, 10:51 PM
Grrr. The last two evenings, while trying to check who was to play later, I found that they had already put up the next day's OOP. Tonight, when I want to see what time Andy plays tomorrow (I have to be out part of the evening) they are still showing today's!!

scoobs
08-12-2009, 10:58 PM
he's second on court 1 - nb 6pm UK time

Turquoise
08-13-2009, 05:14 AM
Just my luck that I won't see the televised live match, as they're shoving him on bn court. :mad: I hope I'll have the chance to catch a replay or highlights, even if I have to hang around until 2-3 am my time. As much as I like Ferrero, I'm praying that Andy gets through easily. Good luck, Andy!

Betty
08-13-2009, 09:48 AM
ok let go andy :banana:
gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo cmon!!!

scoobs
08-13-2009, 10:01 AM
It should be an interesting match. Juanqui has been playing very well this week. Hopefully Andy can raise his level from R2 and take this match without too much drama.

Getta
08-13-2009, 02:55 PM
From the tournament site:

August 11, 2009

A. MURRAY/J. Chardy

6-4, 6-2

An interview with:

ANDY MURRAY

THE MODERATOR: Questions, please.

Q. Ideal start for you?

ANDY MURRAY: It was good. I mean, he's a very good player. I mean, seeing the shots he hit, he has a big serve and, you know, plays very, very aggressively, so I knew going into the match I was going to have to play solid and make sure I took my opportunities, because once he gets on a roll on a serve he's tough to break down. Yeah, I started well and, you know, every time I was in a tough situation, I came up with some big serves and some big shots. That was the difference.

Q. Is that the sort of match you wanted as your first match back at the beginning of the long haul into the US Open?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, it wasn't there were a lot of tough moments. I saw 10, 11 break points. You know, that's always good when you come back. Normally that's the first thing that kind of you lose a little bit. You might hit the ball well, but when the big points come, since you haven't played a match, you might make some mistakes, might not make as many first serves as I did today. That was the thing I was most pleased with, was in the tight moments I came up with some big shots.

Q. Making big shots, is that...

ANDY MURRAY: Now I'm sure I feel better, now I've just got through the first one, because you just lose your rhythm a bit. I mean, I played a lot of tennis over the summer. You know, I didn't really have more than sort of six, seven days off, you know, without playing a match for it's been a long, long time. I've been doing well in most of the tournaments, and, yeah, it feels a bit different. Once you get into the match and you play the tight points, you get used to it quickly.

Q. How much was the character of the match determined by the fact that you made breaks at the start of both those two sets, how the whole thing shaped after that?

ANDY MURRAY: Well, it was obviously great to get off to a good start and break early in the sets. That always makes a difference. But, you know, the sets got tight. I mean, I had chances to break him early or to go up a double break in both sets, you know, and didn't take them and then he had his opportunities and wasn't able to take them. You know, those breaks were important at the start, because against a guy like him he's very streaky and plays well when he's ahead. It's good to get off to a good start.

Q. A lot of people think you're a clever player. Even Chardy says that about your tactics and that you are a smart player. Do you really think you are or is that naturally the way you play?

ANDY MURRAY: Um, yeah, I think that it's something that I kind of learned to do sort of over time when I was growing up. I watched a lot of tennis when I was younger to, I guess, just see weaknesses in opponents or see how I would play against them, you know, if I got to this sort of level. When I was in Barcelona, I trained a lot with guys that were much older than me and a lot stronger, and it wasn't like I could just, you know, overpower them. So I had to find different ways of winning points. My natural game is to mix the pace up and change it and slice and whatnot. That's the way that I play. You know, I just try and have tactics for every match, like I'm sure every other player does, but mine are a maybe a bit more effective because I have quite a lot of variety in my shots.

Q. Do you think some guys are more macho and think the only way you can win is play aggressively with lots of power and stuff?

ANDY MURRAY: Well, I mean, a lot of the guys the way that tennis has gone the last, I don't know, sort of eight, nine years, guys have started to hit the ball bigger and harder, and sort of the game was based on a big serve or a big forehand. Quite a few guys were coming to net, and that's just kind of how tennis went a little bit. You can still win playing different ways, that's for sure. I don't know if it's a natural way or not. I just think that's the way tennis has gone.

Q. Do you think that with Nadal having trouble with his knees and Federer having taken a break and changes in his family that this tournament and tournaments in the next few weeks are more wide open, are more there for someone other than those two to beat?

ANDY MURRAY: Well, I think that the way the tournaments have gone this year, you know, that would suggest that other guys can win the bigger tournaments even when Rafa and Roger were playing well. I mean, I think here because they've taken a break everyone is eager to play matches and play well. You know, Rafa with his personality and the way he is on court, I would expect him to be desperate to get back out there and want to play very well, and he's not going to be mentally tired. I don't think that the draw is that open. I mean, a lot of guys are a lot of guys are playing well, which has been the case for a lot of the year. It's not just been about Roger and Rafa. Other guys have had big wins, too.

Q. I'm sure you were disappointed not being in the final, but did you watch the Wimbledon final?

ANDY MURRAY: I saw I missed the first three and a half sets, and then I saw bits and pieces of the match. I didn't really watch it that closely. I just didn't fancy I don't know. I had played a lot of tennis and seen a lot tennis in the last few months. It was kind of nice to have three, four weeks away from it.

Q. When if you are watching the very end of it, are you actually cheering for one guy or the other, pulling for one guy or the other?

ANDY MURRAY: No. I mean, I think that it's tough, because I mean, a lot of people obviously wanted Federer to break the record. It wasn't like I was anti Federer breaking records, because I've said all along I think he's probably the greatest player ever. So that was never sort of a doubt in my mind. You know, sometimes it's nice, you know, when you have guys like Roddick who a lot of guys have sort of written off for, well, a number of years, you know, for no reason at all, just, you know, saying that he's not going to win another Slam, it would have been nice to have seen him, you know, win, as well, because he's been around in the top 10 for so many years now and been a great player for so long. It's just nice when you see guys having a chance. You know, I think he even said a few years ago he didn't necessarily know if he was going to get another opportunity and he came unbelievably close at Wimbledon. That was nice to see, and I wouldn't have minded seeing Andy win.

Q. Is No. 2 on your mind at all?

ANDY MURRAY: Well, no. I mean, I've been asked about it a lot, so it's impossible not to think about it a little bit, but when I'm playing my match, it's the furthest thing from my mind. The only thing I was thinking was winning and nothing to do with rankings or anything.

Andi-M
08-13-2009, 03:45 PM
I love what Murray said about Wimbledon final. My thoughts exactly.

Murray is such a sweetie. :hearts:
GL Vs JCF Muzza :kiss:

amdany
08-13-2009, 04:51 PM
good luck against Juanqui!!!

ps: Andi-M your avvy again:hearts: I love Usain Bolt!! I saw him last month, it was so great!!!

amdany
08-13-2009, 07:02 PM
he won :banana: next opponent, Kolya or Gonzo

Andi-M
08-13-2009, 07:03 PM
Awesome demolition of JCF by Andy :hearts:

:wavey: Amdany, Usain is great :worship: cant wait for athletics to start!

scoobs
08-13-2009, 07:07 PM
Murraculous!

Getta
08-13-2009, 10:00 PM

August 13, 2009

A. MURRAY/J. Ferrero

6-1, 6-3

An interview with:

ANDY MURRAY

Q. To be playing as well as that in your second match back is a pretty hopeful sign, isn't it?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, I mean, that's the thing with tennis is that tomorrow I could, you know, come out and play terrible, but you know, I'm very happy with the way I managed to play today. You know, it was a really tough start to the match. You know, those first three or four games lasted about half an hour, and then a lot of long points, long games. I managed to stay out in front and, you know, once I got the second break in the first set I started to feel a lot more comfortable, but I hit the ball very well. There was a lot of really good rallies and it was good to get into a rhythm like that.

Q. What was the key getting the early breaks again in both sets? Was that partly why you got on top?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah. I mean, each time you can start well in matches, it makes a big difference. You know, you feel like you can start to go for your shots a little bit earlier on than if it stays tight. You know, I got a good lead in this one. Like I say, I played better and better as the match went on, and you know, if you can get a good start in all your matches it's going to make a big difference to whether you win or lose.

Q. When you play a guy so recently but on a different surface, does it feel familiar when you're in the match? Does it feel like the same kind of match, or was it very different to your grass court meeting?

ANDY MURRAY: I mean, all of the matches feel different regardless if you've played someone, you know, four or five times. There's been huge breaks in between the matches, obviously, and you know, you can have different tactics depending on the surface and whatnot, but, you know, I knew it was going to be tough and that's why, you know, I came out with really good intensity and didn't let him into the match, really. You know, that was the main difference. But I don't really focus too much on what's happened on previous matches, because anything can happen on any given day.

Q. So are you surprised at how quickly everything clicked into place today?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah. Well, I returned very well from the start, and that kind of got - it got me ahead. I hit quite a lot of winners, my forehand return cross court, and I got into a rhythm on the return, and he - I think it was 1 and 3 in the four games that he won, and I think I had break points in three of them. I had a lot of chances to break serve and, you know, it's really tough - you know, it's happened to me before. Someone keeps getting your serve back, and you keep having to sort of fight off break points. It's tough mentally to keep going. That was one of the parts that I was most pleased with was the way I returned.

Q. It seemed pretty hot out there. You have had a training break. Presumably you're fresh and fit, but still, is it a factor to finish matches fairly soon to conserve energy or not?

ANDY MURRAY: No. I mean, you won't obviously get back into match fitness, so if they're long, then that's a good thing, as well. You really see where you're at. But I feel like, to start with, the first two matches I moved really, really well and, you know, that's not been a problem. Sometimes that can be when you come back. You know, I trust the training that I've done that if I do have to play three, four hours that I'll be fine. You know, that's why going into matches it's easier to get on a lot calmer, because there's no worries about those sort of things.

Q. With the heat in Montreal right now, you must be pleased that you train and practice in Miami? The heat is not a factor for you?

ANDY MURRAY: No. Well, I mean, it's hot, but I mean, Miami was - it's a different level to this. It wasn't - you know, it wasn't anything - that was some of the toughest conditions I've ever practiced in. It was brutal from like 11:00 to, you know, 5:00, and that was the hours that I was training, and you know, when you come here - I mean, you still feel it, you know, because of the matches and stuff. But there's a bit more pressure and you're kind of - in practice you can take breaks when you need to and whatnot, whereas in the matches you need to stay out there until the games are finished. That makes it tough, but it doesn't feel too bad. That's one of the reasons why I don't stay and train in the UK, because you can't come out here and expect to just adjust to the conditions in two or three days.

Turquoise
08-14-2009, 07:06 AM
From the little I saw of the match, I was enthralled by Andy’s dominant performance. He managed to ruffle Ferrero's impeccable feathers.

Davydenko’s in really good form, Andy needs to maintain this intensity but I have good feelings about this QF match. Good luck!

Betty
08-14-2009, 08:51 AM
C'monnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Andi-M
08-14-2009, 10:08 AM
You can do it Andy :yeah:

amdany
08-14-2009, 06:35 PM
he did it 6-2 6-4 :banana: on to the semis!!!!
and what about this "dance" at the end when he wins now :lol:

scoobs
08-14-2009, 07:56 PM
Not a brilliant performance from Andy but still plenty good enough - Davydenko was not great today though.

Getta
08-14-2009, 10:17 PM

August 14, 2009

A. MURRAY/N. Davydenko

6-2, 6-4

An interview with:

ANDY MURRAY

Q. How were the conditions out there today?

ANDY MURRAY: It was tough. I mean, it was obviously hot. But in terms of I played on the second court yesterday, and it felt quite a lot slower on the second court than the center felt very fast. Obviously with the heat, the balls were flying quite a lot, too. Middle of the second set got a little bit breezy, as well. It was tough and probably why there was quite a lot of mistakes early on in the match.

Q. So how would you rate your performance?

ANDY MURRAY: Well, I did what I had to do. Every time I've played against him, you never feel like you're playing your best tennis because he takes the ball so early. He rushes you. You know, pretty much every rally he plays really, really aggressive. I had my game plan, and I did it really, really well in terms of the way I struck the ball. I mean, it's tough to know, but I felt great against Ferrero yesterday, but today, just different match and was very happy with the way I executed my game plan.

Q. It was pretty important those last two games, wasn't it? If you allowed it to go to three, it could have been different, couldn't it? You played a good service game at 4 All.

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah. Of course it could have been different if it went to three sets. Yeah, I served well today when I needed to like I have done in most of the matches and maybe got three free points off my first serve in that game. Maybe that was one of the main differences. I was putting a lot of returns back in play. I was able to get more free points off my first serve. I think he was struggling a little bit with the sun on one of the ends and was kind of kicking his serve in. Like you say, that was a big game because he was starting to hit the ball better.

Q. You've done exceedingly well in the Masters events the last couple of season. What do you think you need to do with your game in order to translate that into perhaps winning a Grand Slam?

ANDY MURRAY: Well, I think I've done pretty well in the Slams the last couple of years, as well. You know, it's got a lot better. You know, obviously it's the first time I made the semis at Wimbledon, first time I made the quarterfinals at the French, obviously made the final of the US Open last year, and now I'm well, not a whole lot, really. I mean, I've lost to guys that I've played against them quite a few times, the guys I've lost to, and they've played incredible tennis to win against me, and I've lost a few close ones. I don't know that there's a whole lot that I need to do differently; just get a little bit better in a few areas, and with more experience, you know, I'm sure I'll do better.

Q. How much do you feel the training you did in Miami is that a huge part of how well prepared you are to play here?

ANDY MURRAY: Well, a lot of it is the rest, you know, to feel fresh coming in. You don't normally feel the effects of the training that you do until maybe a little bit later on. It takes I think a few weeks for that to kick in. I mean, just to get used to getting to the weather was the No. 1 thing that has helped me so far, because although it was hot out there, the humidity is not the same as in Miami. I felt pretty comfortable after most of the long rallies.

Q. How long were you in Miami?

ANDY MURRAY: Two weeks.

Q. Two weeks?

ANDY MURRAY: Yes.

Q. Would you rather play, in this time of year in North America, play in hot, humid weather just because you think you have an advantage?

ANDY MURRAY: Well, I do like these conditions. I think the hotter that it is you know, I do play quite a lot of long points. Like I said yesterday, I trust the training that I've done. I think I've worked really hard off the court to be in the best shape possible, and you know, if my opponent has done that work, as well, that's great. But I feel like I've worked hard enough to sort of go into these sort of long, tough matches in these conditions in better shape than my opponent.

Q. Is it hard for a guy from Scotland I know you were in Barcelona for a while to get used to a place like Miami?

ANDY MURRAY: Well, I mean, I'm sure it would be. It's just that I've done, well, traveling around the world since I was 12, 13 and got used to playing in this weather, these sort of conditions, quite young. I've played a lot in the States, and like you say, since sort of 15 I've played a lot of tournaments in Barcelona and in Spain and obviously trained there. You know, you just get used to it if you train enough in it and spend a lot of time in the heat. You know, the toughest conditions I think to get used to are, you know, the ones in Australia when it gets like, 42, 43 degrees. It's just brutal. The court is so hot. But the humidity I think I'm used to now.

Q. On a day like this, do you know how much weight you lose during a match?

ANDY MURRAY: I try and not lose any, you know, if you drink enough. Yeah, I mean, you're probably going to lose a bit because you don't want to sort of flood yourself with fluids at the change of ends. But if you drink probably and drink the right amount you shouldn't really lose that much weight. It should only really be fluid that you lose so you can put on, you know, 20 minutes after the match.

Q. If you play Roger, he's been talking a fair bit about, say, the January period almost to Rome when his back was bothering him and you played him a couple times in there. Do you think this will be a different Roger if you play him now than he was in those matches?

ANDY MURRAY: Well, I've played him a lot of times before that, as well. I mean, I don't know if his back was bad in the Masters Cup last year, or whenever it started, I don't know. But I've won against him quite a few times when I think he was in good shape, and I don't expect anything different, you know, the times when I played him before. I got good tactics against him and a good record. I'll take that into the match. That will give me confidence if I have to play him.

08-15-2009, 10:31 AM
Thanks for posting the interviews :D However, a funny thing happened in the QF so Andy won't be playing The Fed after all.
I couldn't believe Tsonga (did I spell that right?) came back and won :eek: I saw some of the 2nd Set and he looked down and completely out of the Match. He had the Trainer working on his arm, but it looked to me like he was having trouble moving in the 2nd Set :confused: And then came back and won the 3rd Set in a TB just like he had done in the 1st Set. Good Luck Andy :yeah:

Andi-M
08-15-2009, 11:57 AM
Good luck andy :kiss:

MsTree
08-15-2009, 05:10 PM
Andy will need to raise his game tonight :D
That was a totally mad match Jo had against Fed though :eek: He'll be tough to beat if he's firing on all cylinders!

MalwareDie
08-15-2009, 07:01 PM
Tsonga has no chance. Andy will take it in two sets.

amdany
08-15-2009, 09:02 PM
new world number 2!!!!

decrepitude
08-15-2009, 09:16 PM
Andy :woohoo: :worship:

He will need a better first serve % tomorrow, though. I can't see either Roddick or Delpo letting him get away with 42% first serves.

So come on, new #2, find your first serve and take another Masters Shield!

Corey Feldman
08-15-2009, 09:34 PM
dont really care about the ranking, just win the final Andy :D

Andi-M
08-15-2009, 09:55 PM
Well done on another MS final and no 2 spot. But plz raise your game and win final Andy!!!!!!!!

trickcy
08-16-2009, 03:40 AM
Congrats to Andy on reaching #2 :hatoff:

08-16-2009, 04:46 AM
Well our "Lad" is now #2 in the World :woohoo: However, I do wish someone would teach him how to serve :rolleyes: And the Final against Juan today has me really scared :scared:

Getta
08-16-2009, 08:45 AM

August 15, 2009

A. MURRAY/J. Tsonga

6-4, 7-6

An interview with:

ANDY MURRAY

Q. Very well done. Pretty intense finish, wasn't it?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah. I mean, it's always tough against him, because he dominates or he dictates what happens in the match because of the way that he plays. I just had to stay solid, and you know, made enough balls for him to make a few mistakes and came up with a few big returns. You know, but it was all around, you know, in terms of the way that I hit the ball, it was quite difficult, a bit like Davydenko, because they either hit winners or make mistakes. I kind of had to do quite a lot of scrambling, but you know, overall it was solid.

Q. As the match goes on and he gets sort of closer and gets into it, is there a risk that he becomes inspired if he gets into the match too much?

ANDY MURRAY: Well, I mean, he was in the match for a majority of it. When he broke back in the first set, you know, it was a big game that I managed a big forehand to get the break and that was important, because against someone like him, when he's in front, you know, he plays a lot of confidence. But at the same time, you know, when he's behind, then he's loose. He's going for broke on almost every shot, so it's just difficult to play against. You know, I'm just happy I managed to come through, because, you know, from my side, I didn't hit the ball unbelievably well, I didn't serve particularly well, but you know, managed to tough it out. That's the only important thing.

Q. What does it mean to get to No. 2 after all this work? You know, is it the best thing you've ever done so far?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, well, it's great. I mean, obviously in terms of rankings that's, you know, the biggest step that I've made so far. You know, I played consistently well this year, and you know, obviously Rafa had an injury, but it was really I mean, it was Wimbledon that he missed, you know. I also took quite a big break after Wimbledon, so bar winning a Slam, I've done enough to justify being 2, and you know, getting closer to hopefully one day becoming No. 1 is one of my goals. So it's great. I've put in a lot of hard work to get to this stage, and I keep working hard to go one step farther.

Q. Are you excited about it? I mean, does register with you that...

ANDY MURRAY: Obviously, I mean, five years it's been Rafa and Roger have been 1 and 2, and you know, it's been Novak had one, maybe two matches to get to No. 2. So it's such a tough thing to do because Roger and Rafa are I think the two best maybe of all time. So yeah, it's pretty special to get in between them.

Q. You've had some bad blood with Del Potro in the past. When situations like that occur, does that motivate you to play harder against an opponent in the event you do play Del Potro tomorrow?

ANDY MURRAY: I mean, it happened once. We played a lot in juniors growing up. We played maybe eight times overall, and you know, one problem I very rarely have problems with guys on the court. But you understand when it does happen that, you know, because it is a sport and you know everyone's quite tense, a lot of pressure out there, that sometimes things sort of boil over. I've never you know, if I've lost to someone, the next time I play them, it doesn't give me any extra motivation to play. I play hard in all of the matches. Whether I'm best friends with someone or I don't really like them, it doesn't make a whole lot of difference for the way that I play them.

Q. You seemed really frustrated during yesterday's match against Davydenko. You traded breaks in the first set. It seemed like you were trading errors back and forth a little bit. You say that Tsonga was dictating a lot of the points, but did you feel more comfortable today like there were a few more surprises for you?

ANDY MURRAY: No, I mean I mean, the match against Davydenko I think was it was an easier match, because I gave him very few chances in the scoreline. I mean, I got ahead early in the match, and you know, in the second set was ahead pretty much the whole way and didn't really give him any break points on my serve. So it's just they're different players, but they do the same sort of thing to you in terms of the way, you know, they apply a lot of pressure. But Tsonga, you know, comes to the net a lot. You know, he rushes you. You know, you just have to expect him to, you know, make some huge winners and deal with it. I didn't feel a lot more comfortable than the Davydenko match.

Q. If you end up playing Del Potro, what will you have to do to win?

ANDY MURRAY: Well, you need to serve well against him, and you know, make him move. He's very solid from the baseline. He's got a good serve, you know, and if you let him dictate the points he's very, very good. You know, if you can try and get him on the back foot a little bit and change the pace of the ball, give him some variety, that's really the best way to play him.

Q. What about Roddick?

ANDY MURRAY: Similar sort of thing. I mean, Roddick, you know, has a better serve and is very difficult to break but doesn't have as big a shot from the back of the court and probably doesn't return as well as Del Potro. So, you know, it's important not to give him too many opportunities on your serve so he doesn't feel like he's, you know, able to break you, because, you know, when he gets ahead in matches he's very tough to beat because he's got such a tough serve to break.

Q. When you have a low percentage of first serves like today, is there anything conscious you can do to switch it around?

ANDY MURRAY: I mean, occasionally it happens where you just don't serve particularly well. I mean, I've served very well all week. I don't know how many service games I've played, but I dropped my serve twice in the tournament. So regardless of the percentage, it only matters, you know, if you're getting broken all the time and stuff you might change it and just try and get your first serve in. But bar the one poor game that I played at 5 3 in the first set, I didn't really give him a whole lot of chances.

Q. Looking forward to the US Open, if you go in as a No. 2 seed, does that change your expectations for the tournament?

ANDY MURRAY: No, not at all. I mean, I think when, you know, if you get to sort of 1, 2, 3, 4 in the world, you go into those tournaments believing that you can win. Maybe for, you know, everyone else, that makes a difference, but you know, for me personally, if I was ranked, you know, 1, 2, 3, or 4, whatever it is, I'd still go ahead believing I had a chance of winning.

scoobs
08-16-2009, 10:29 AM
Well done to Andy on beating Tsonga and elevating himself to #2!

Next up Del Potro for the title, a guy who I think will be one of Andy's fiercest rivals over the next couple of years.

amdany
08-16-2009, 08:38 PM
it was a really close and tough match for Andy , I 'm so glad for him, congrats :banana:

scoobs
08-16-2009, 08:51 PM
Andy wins the title 67 76 61 as Delpo ran out of gas before he could perhaps snatch the victory.

Well done Andy!!!!

Betty
08-16-2009, 09:07 PM
:banana:yessssssssssssssss

well done andy..congrats boy:D

08-16-2009, 11:03 PM
Well done to Andy on beating Tsonga and elevating himself to #2!

Next up Del Potro for the title, a guy who I think will be one of Andy's fiercest rivals over the next couple of years.
Congrats to Andy on another MS :D However, even being #2 in the World he still has a lot of work to do on his game. And scoobs I'm using your post before the Final because I agree completely with what you said. If Del Potro gets his conditioning and fitness up I'm afraid it is going to be look out world :ras: As you can tell I'm not a Del Potro fan :p

Getta
08-17-2009, 02:10 AM

August 16, 2009

A. MURRAY/J. Del Potro

6-7, 7-6, 6-1

An interview with:

ANDY MURRAY

Q. How do you compare the barrage of when he was at his best during that match with similar barrages you've had from other top players?

ANDY MURRAY: The thing that's tough with, I mean with him, because of his height, you know I mean, he's obviously got a big serve. You know, if he comes with a big serve, it's very tough to get the ball sort of away from him because he's got such a long reach. You know, he hits the ball so clean from the back of the court that he makes it very, very tough for you and you end up doing quite a lot of running. You know, he's well, he's a top player now. Obviously he wins a lot of matches. He very rarely loses to guys that he shouldn't lose to, and you know, he's going to be around obviously for a long time. He's got a very good all around game.

Q. When did you know you were physically the fresher of the two players?

ANDY MURRAY: Well, I mean, before the match. I mean, I felt like I was probably going to be physically stronger. You know, you can always you know, he's played a lot of matches. You can always sort of find your way into a match, and when you have sort of a big serve like him, that can always keep you in when you know, I felt like I was playing better than him from the back of the court for a lot of the match. But he was hitting he got a lot more free points off his first serve, the first two sets. The beginning of the second, I mean, he looked like he was tired, but then, you know, he starts swinging at shots, and then all of a sudden you're on the back foot and it's tough to play against someone when they look really relaxed, especially in a big match like that. It was probably the beginning of the second set I felt like physically he was struggling a bit.

Q. Were you still worried that you would run out of time in that second set, that he wouldn't falter enough?

ANDY MURRAY: No, I don't think it was through his faltering why I won the second set. And the tiebreak I you know, I hit maybe three aces, you know. I came up with one really good lob, sort of pickup at 4 3 to, you know, to well, to get the mini break back. I mean, he was just making it really tough because of the way that he was playing and serving, and you know, he was always giving himself a chance. I had to keep fighting and believing in myself, and that was enough in the end.

Q. What were your thoughts at the time of his medical timeout? You looked upset at that moment. Did you think he was milking it to be...

ANDY MURRAY: No, the thing that I was disappointed with I mean, it's not the best time to have an injury timeout, no question about that, but you know, if the guy is struggling or is injured, then obviously I don't have a problem with him taking the timeout. It was just the umpire didn't tell me that he was taking a medical timeout, especially at sort of that stage of the match. You know, the first I heard was when he announced it to the crowd, and normally he lets you know that the trainer has been called to the court. I didn't get told. I didn't see Juan asking for the trainer. So I just would have liked to have been told in a little bit more time, because it's quite an important period of the match.

Q. How much confidence does this win here give you towards the US Open?

ANDY MURRAY: Well, it's good. I mean, the thing is obviously I wanted to get matches this week, was important. Obviously to win the tournament is great. The US Open is still a couple weeks away, and you know, I'll focus on Cincinnati and try and play well again here. You know, I feel like I've got a good chance of doing well at the US Open, but each week is a different week, and you know, I'm not going to get too far ahead of myself. You know, I'll just focus on Cincinnati.

Q. Did the fact that you secured a spot, the No. 2 spot in the ranking yesterday, did that help a little bit or make you a bit looser?

ANDY MURRAY: I don't know if it helped. I mean, sometimes when this sort of I guess it's not like a distraction, but you know, where you're not totally focused on the match if something else like that has gone on beforehand, you know, sometimes you can lose a little bit of focus, but it didn't bother me too much. You know, I thought I played well today. I kind of put it to the back of my mind, and I'll enjoy that for the next couple of days.

Q. What will you remember more from this tournament? Getting to No. 2 in the world or actually winning the event?

ANDY MURRAY: Actually I got asked that yesterday. It's a tough one. I love winning tournaments. It's great. Every player will tell you the same thing. But it's just tough, because I've never been to No. 2 in the world before. It's something that I've never done. That's new to me. You know, I've won a couple of Masters Series now, so it still feels great, but the No. 2 is just maybe because it's something different that means maybe a little bit more, but I mean, winning a tournament here is still great.

Q. How much of your success here do you attribute to the fitness regime you've undertaken that built up preparation in Florida?

ANDY MURRAY: That's obviously important. The thing that's quite tough in the Masters, it's hot the last pretty much every day, and I played every match between 1:00 and 3:00 I was playing, so it was in the hot part of the day, and that makes a difference. I'm sure if I came over from the UK, you know, and training in cold weather or indoors sometimes, I don't think I would have been able to come out and play well here.

Q. What was it like playing in front of this crowd here in Montreal?

ANDY MURRAY: The crowd is the whole tournament. I thought they were unbelievable, like the attendance was great. You know, very few of the Masters Series get that, you know, attendance each day. So that was awesome. They obviously they enjoy their tennis. I think the atmosphere was very good in the match, and they were good all week.

Q. Can you talk about what Alex Corretja brings to your tennis?

ANDY MURRAY: It's not one thing in particular. The reason I've got Alex working with me is sometimes it's nice to have just fresh ideas for practice and for training. You know, Alex and Miles get on really, really well, so it's a good sort of combination. You know, it's not like I employed Alex to, you know, do something that Miles can't. It's just the season is very, very long. You play a lot of matches. In between the tournaments you've got to make sure you're motivated for the practice and for the training. Just sometimes having, you know, a different face, different input, maybe a few different views on things helps. There's not just one thing in particular.

Q. After the first two close sets, what worked for you in the third to win it?

ANDY MURRAY: Well, he obviously was tired, and I just made a lot of returns which I hadn't really been doing. His serve slowed down a little bit, and I made more returns. I served well at the beginning of the third set to make sure I stayed ahead, and that was really the only difference.

Q. When you're in London, do you still work a bit with Coach Louis Cayer, who is from here and worked a bit with you two years ago when you came back when you were injured?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, I haven't done any work with him for about a year and a half now, but I spent I spent quite a bit of time with Louis, did some work at the beginning of last year and towards the end of 2007 when I was coming back from my wrist injury, because, you know, it was a pretty tough time for me. Again, it was just nice to have sort of different input, you know, different things to work on in practice to keep you motivated, because I couldn't really play that well because my wrist was still hurting me when I came back. He's a very, very experienced coach.

Q. How satisfying is it to have this win after I guess a little bit of disappointment in the semifinal of Wimbledon?

ANDY MURRAY: Um, well, it's a perfect way to come back, I guess. I mean, I got asked that after Wimbledon, What you going to do? Obviously you're going to be a bit disappointed and stuff. You know, it goes one of two ways. Losing to Roddick, there's no shame in that to start with. You know, I'd rather go away and become a worse player and not work on anything or go and practice harder, train harder and become better so the same thing doesn't happen the next time around. You know, I was happy I won and worked out in Miami after that, and I think improved my game.

Q. Are you definitely going to Cincinnati? Will there be any thought of this being you sort of grabbed your hip a little bit near the umpire's chair after the match, after the presentation.

ANDY MURRAY: No, I'm stiff, I think. You know, I would hope that I would have been able to play for another couple of hours, but it's just, you know, as soon as it was a pretty intense match and first tournament back for well, first tournament on hardcourt for so long. The hardcourts are the most brutal on your body, I guess. I'm just a little bit stiff just now. No, I plan on going to Cincinnati tomorrow and try and defend my title.

Q. Was this a record for autograph signing this week, you think?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, maybe. Wimbledon can get pretty hectic, but yeah, I signed a lot of autographs this week.

Q. In Wimbledon you can get away from the crowd. Here the crowd is very...

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, they catch us kind of on your way back out. Yeah, it's a lot easier to sign autographs when you're winning.

Turquoise
08-17-2009, 05:31 AM
Congratulations to the new World Number 2, and the Rogers Cup Champion! :worship: :hatoff: :bigclap: :yippee: :bounce:

scoobs
08-17-2009, 08:03 AM
Congrats to Andy on another MS :D However, even being #2 in the World he still has a lot of work to do on his game. And scoobs I'm using your post before the Final because I agree completely with what you said. If Del Potro gets his conditioning and fitness up I'm afraid it is going to be look out world :ras: As you can tell I'm not a Del Potro fan :p
*nods*

My concerns is if he plays that way against a Del Potro with 10% more in the legs, he'll be in big trouble....and that's not out of the question in a QF or SF of the US Open, for example...

He has to serve better next time and he has to be more effective off the return.

But he did enough this time around and that's the good news :)

Wyna
08-17-2009, 09:00 AM
Congrats Andy, for winning another MS and getting to no. 2 :bounce:

Andi-M
08-17-2009, 09:07 AM
Congrats. :woohoo: My internet died yesterday after 1st game of 3rd set, but until then i thought he played OK, he played excellent in the 2ndTB. Judging by posts in Gm it seem he played really passive in the 3rd is that about right?
Even still I think its OK to take advantage of the situation when your oppenant is tired by getting lots of balls back. If his oppenants were to raise their level and start blowing him off court, I think he would get more agressive, he has done it in the past.

scoobs
08-17-2009, 09:21 AM
No he was quite aggressive in the final set but then Del Potro was running on empty so Andy was able to take complete charge.