Who plays better at the top of there games: Safin or Nalbandian? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who plays better at the top of there games: Safin or Nalbandian?

Pfloyd
07-30-2009, 03:21 PM
Similar to the idea of the "biggest waste of talent", I'd like to know who you think is a better player when playing well, Nalbandian or Safin?

Both are great player with Safin being the harder hitter and Nalbanidan being more precise in shot making.

I think Nalbandian is a bit better when on.

What do you think?

Certinfy
07-30-2009, 03:25 PM
Nalbandian came into my head 1st... But im not really sure.

Burrow
07-30-2009, 03:27 PM
Oh god, another "Nalbandian is god" thread.

Pfloyd
07-30-2009, 03:27 PM
Oh god, another "Nalbandian is god" thread.

Where did I say that?

Don't put words in my mouth. If you can't keep it shut, don't talk crap.

Go tard' somewhere else.

Burrow
07-30-2009, 03:30 PM
coming from you?

it's obvious safin plays better when he's at the top of his game, I'll have to upload the Madrid final to watch Nalbandian being demoralized.

jonathancrane
07-30-2009, 03:32 PM
Nalbandian

Pfloyd
07-30-2009, 03:34 PM
coming from you?

it's obvious safin plays better when he's at the top of his game, I'll have to upload the Madrid final to watch Nalbandian being demoralized.

OK.

jayjay
07-30-2009, 03:34 PM
coming from you?

Was Nalbandian at the top of his game in that match? You might want to upload the DC Final in Russia and watch Safin being demoralized and positively ***** by Nalbandian.

BTW, I'd say the answer to the thread question is probably Safin, it's just that your logic is so fucking retarded that there is liable to be a big mess here, a big mess.

Burrow
07-30-2009, 03:38 PM
and what logic is ever used when talking about Nalbandian?

according to MTF since late 07, he can walk on water

jayjay
07-30-2009, 03:40 PM
and what logic is ever used when talking about Nalbandian?

according to MTF since late 07, he can walk on water

I'll tear down these trees, GIMME YOUR ADDRESS.

stebs
07-30-2009, 03:44 PM
Safin, definately. They both have stunning strokes but Safin's are heavier plus Safin has a better serve by a way.

Dini
07-30-2009, 03:47 PM
I think it's Safin because when he's on a roll he doesn't take anything off his shots and produces some amazing winners, especially off the backhand side. Having said that, I can't remember the last time Safin was at the peak of his game. :o Maybe the Wimbledon match against Djokovic? :shrug:

Nalbandian even on a Godly day has a few problems with his serve. Hence why Safin gets my vote.

ballbasher101
07-30-2009, 03:57 PM
I have always thought that Safin was and is overrated. Nalbandian has more talent in his little finger than Safin has in his whole body.

Burrow
07-30-2009, 04:00 PM
I think it's Safin because when he's on a roll he doesn't take anything off his shots and produces some amazing winners, especially off the backhand side. Having said that, I can't remember the last time Safin was at the peak of his game. :o Maybe the Wimbledon match against Djokovic? :shrug:

Nalbandian even on a Godly day has a few problems with his serve. Hence why Safin gets my vote.

Safin at the peak of his game in a match last year? :o

Last time I seen him play really great was against Alberto Martin in Hamburg in 05, beating him 0 and 1.

Burrow
07-30-2009, 04:01 PM
I have always thought that Safin was and is overrated. Nalbandian has more talent in his little finger than Safin has in his whole body.

When did you start watching tennis? :o

jayjay
07-30-2009, 04:10 PM

You cry like bitch.

ballbasher101
07-30-2009, 04:10 PM

Let me guess you are one of those Safanites who use injury as the reason for his downfall. Nadal has had a lot of serious injuries and yet he is still a a great champion.

Burrow
07-30-2009, 04:15 PM
A lot of serious injuries? Are you kidding? Can't be that serious if he is running around like that without surgery.

You didn't even watch tennis 5 years ago and you don't even know the correct term "Safinette" or whatever it is.

Of course the injury was his downfall, he was ranked number 3 in the US Hardcourt season of 05. His movement was clearly far more sluggish than before when he came back in DC in 06 vs Gasquet and it has only got worse, are you saying that has made no difference? :lol:

BodyServe
07-30-2009, 04:21 PM
Let me guess you are one of those Safanites who use injury as the reason for his downfall. Nadal has had a lot of serious injuries and yet he is still a a great champion.

In case you didn't know, tendonitis are not injuries, they are conditioning problem.

ballbasher101
07-30-2009, 04:24 PM
A lot of serious injuries? Are you kidding? Can't be that serious if he is running around like that without surgery.

You didn't even watch tennis 5 years ago and you don't even know the correct term "Safinette" or whatever it is.

Of course the injury was his downfall, he was ranked number 3 in the US Hardcourt season of 05. His movement was clearly far more sluggish than before when he came back in DC in 06 vs Gasquet and it has only got worse, are you saying that has made no difference? :lol:

For your information I started watching tennis 7 years ago. There is a reason why Safin fell from grace, he is :cuckoo:. Safin has always been a mindless ballbasher, face it. The guy lost to Johannson for crying out loud.

jcempire
07-30-2009, 04:25 PM
Nalbandian 5-set match Against Fed in 06 Master cup (that's most exciting match in my memory)

But Safin did it little more than him does

ballbasher101
07-30-2009, 04:27 PM
In case you didn't know, tendonitis are not injuries, they are conditioning problem.

A few years ago Nadal had a serious foot injury as I recall. I think he missed the Oz open because of that.

UsD.AnDreS
07-30-2009, 04:28 PM
hmm..how hard to choose..heh..
Safin without doubt.

Burrow
07-30-2009, 04:31 PM
A few years ago Nadal had a serious foot injury as I recall. I think he missed the Oz open because of that.

ha! and you think that is as serious an injury as Safin sustained, you must be joking.

Ichiban1920
07-30-2009, 04:32 PM
I have always thought that Safin was and is overrated.

Thankfully you know nothing about tennis therefore its excuseable for yourself to make such retarded comments.

Ichiban1920
07-30-2009, 04:35 PM
For your information I started watching tennis 7 years ago. There is a reason why Safin fell from grace, he is :cuckoo:. Safin has always been a mindless ballbasher, face it. The guy lost to Johannson for crying out loud.

Safin is hardly a mindless ballbasher. Go watch some actual safin matches before you go spouting off moronic statements.

Burrow
07-30-2009, 04:42 PM

Are you kidding me, mate?

Safin has always been crazy, even more so when he was very successful, so that obviously doesn't explain anything :retard:

habibko
07-30-2009, 04:46 PM
very hard to say for sure, alot of bias involved, I'd say Nalbandian but that's only because I like the guy more, there is no definitive answer here, they both played unbelievable tennis at the top of their game, too bad it didn't last for long.

ballbasher101
07-30-2009, 04:52 PM
Are you kidding me, mate?

Safin has always been crazy, even more so when he was very successful, so that obviously doesn't explain anything :retard:

Wilander said that Safin got very angry at himself over the years due to the fact that he had lost his touch. He was always crazy but now he is even crazier. The fact remains that Nalbandin is the better all round player.

oranges
07-30-2009, 04:55 PM
I can't remember the last time Safin was at the peak of his game. :o Maybe the Wimbledon match against Djokovic? :shrug:
Not even close, that was just solid

Now, you'll really wound up us "Safanites" :lol: Need some trolling 101 lessons if that's your ambition. Free tip from me, choose a more sensitive group for starters.

Safin, definately. They both have stunning strokes but Safin's are heavier plus Safin has a better serve by a way.

I'd co-sign this and add that Nalbandian gets an edge on the return

ad-out
07-30-2009, 04:58 PM
Safin, hands down. Hence the 2 slams. Even without them, though, Marat is just more naturally gifted. I like David though and wish he would do well after his hip heals.

GlennMirnyi
07-30-2009, 05:38 PM
:lol:

Who'd be stupid enough to compare Nalbandian with Safin...

Safin is a muuuuch better player.

Collective
07-30-2009, 05:39 PM
The folk who has actually won Grand Slams

rocketassist
07-30-2009, 05:39 PM
Power vs technique...Safin had both, Nalbandian has one. Safin.

TMJordan
07-30-2009, 05:41 PM
Safin by a mile.

MacTheKnife
07-30-2009, 06:01 PM
Safin, no contest.

guga2120
07-30-2009, 06:21 PM
Safin, easily.

abraxas21
07-30-2009, 07:40 PM
Difficult question to answer but I'd say Nalbandián. When he's on he's easily the best returner of serve that I've ever seen in my life. And when standing on the baseline he's got all the shots.

And lol at the people saying Safin purely because he's won Grand Slams...

ORGASMATRON
07-30-2009, 07:53 PM
It would be interesting to see Nalby against Mugrat at his best when Nalby was an that great run in the indoor season when he beat Fed and Rafa and the like. Having said that i think Safin takes this one by a small margin.

Macbrother
07-30-2009, 07:55 PM
Safin's strokes are just a little bit bigger, but he has a much better serve and, at his peak, was a much better mover. They are both "headcases" if you will, but there's a reason Safin accomplished so much more. I would take Nalbandian indoors or on clay, though.

Burrow
07-30-2009, 09:15 PM
Safin's strokes are just a little bit bigger, but he has a much better serve and, at his peak, was a much better mover. They are both "headcases" if you will, but there's a reason Safin accomplished so much more. I would take Nalbandian indoors or on clay, though.

Why Nalbandian indoors?

Sapeod
07-30-2009, 09:25 PM
Safin. He won 2 GS, although David isn't far behind.

tennishero
07-30-2009, 09:46 PM
Nalbandian of late 2007 would have wiped the floor with Safin.

ORGASMATRON
07-30-2009, 09:48 PM
Lol at the people who say no contest.

tennishero
07-30-2009, 09:51 PM
H2H against Federer:

Safin : 2 - 10
Nalbandian 8 - 10

/thread

Collective
07-30-2009, 09:55 PM
What does a h2h vs Federer have to do with any of this?

If you want to make the comparison about head to head, I have a more conclusive one for you

Safin 6-3 Nalbandian with a 2-1 in Grand Slams.

/thread?

ChinoRios4Ever
07-30-2009, 10:13 PM
Safin hands down.

Macbrother
07-30-2009, 10:21 PM
Why Nalbandian indoors?

Just because that's his best surface and it's so well suited to his type of shotmaking. Not to say Safin is a slouch indoors either, both did some pretty good damage on the surface in their careers, Nalbandian's '05 TMC run puts him over the top for me though.

FlavorNuts
07-30-2009, 10:50 PM
I have always thought that Safin was and is overrated. Nalbandian has more talent in his little finger than Safin has in his whole body.This.
Safin is a predictable ball basher whose game can be contained by intelligent players. He plays the same regardless of the opponent.

rocketassist
07-30-2009, 10:59 PM
This.
Safin is a predictable ball basher whose game can be contained by intelligent players. He plays the same regardless of the opponent.

Safin has nice touch and proper ballbashers don't win Slams or be No 1 in the world.. yes he has power but he also had dead eye accuracy on the backhand. Just cause he hits it hard doesn't mean he's ballbashing, he's dictating the points.

Burrow
07-30-2009, 11:04 PM
Just because that's his best surface and it's so well suited to his type of shotmaking. Not to say Safin is a slouch indoors either, both did some pretty good damage on the surface in their careers, Nalbandian's '05 TMC run puts him over the top for me though.

Fair enough, I don't rate the TMC win as high as others because Safin, Agassi, Roddick, Hewitt and Nadal pulled out. All players capable of beating Nalbandian.

Nalbandian has losing head to head records over Safin, Agassi, Roddick and Hewitt.

Plus Federer was a little injured in the final. Very fortunate to even be there.

federersforehand
Safin, easily too. One of the most 'rawly talented' players of his generation, pity he couldnt capitalise on his amazing abilities more. Although 2 slams is good going, you could feel he could have got anywhere between 5 and 10 if he just stuck to his guns and didnt become a head case. Safin is streets ahead of Nalbandian on the top of his game, there is no question one way or another.

leng jai
Safin was one of the first guys of his size and physique to be able to move well and have a good defensive game. His backhand and serve are elite. Beat Fedclown at the AO. Pulverized Sampras with ease in his first slam final.

Yep what an overrated clown.

Ichiban1920
07-30-2009, 11:05 PM
This.

Safin a predictable ball basher? Are you another delusional Nadulltard? Intelligent players? You mean like mindless moonballers/grinders with no game? You don't win two grand slams mindlessly ballbashing. Safin is easily among the most talented players the game has produced and its quite obvious you don't watch nor know anything about tennis.

The amount of idiocy on this board astounds me.

Roddickominator
07-31-2009, 02:19 AM
At their peaks....Nalbandian's game is better to watch....Safin's is more effective.

Safin's big serve is what sways it.

GlennMirnyi
07-31-2009, 02:25 AM
Nalbandian has a shit forehand, can't serve, can't volley.

Nothing more to say.

trixtah
07-31-2009, 02:31 AM

If you think his mental game is what took him from the top of the game, you're mistaken--the consensus is the injuries that brought him down every time he rose back to the top. It's not easy going down in the rankings because of your injuries and then having to work your way up only to get another.

Serenidad
07-31-2009, 02:31 AM
Safin is better at the top of his game. Brutal finishing power, bigger serve, better at net, great mover.

Nalbandian will always return better and maybe use a bit more of the court, but to a certain extent you can still deal with Nalbandian if he is playing well moreso than Safin.

trixtah
07-31-2009, 02:34 AM
H2H against Federer:

Safin : 2 - 10
Nalbandian 8 - 10

/thread

worst. argument. ever.

Burrow
07-31-2009, 02:43 AM
Nalbandian of late 2007 would have wiped the floor with Safin.

With Safin of 2002/04/05/ or 2000?

GlennMirnyi
07-31-2009, 03:04 AM
Only an idiot can think Nalbandian is better than Safin.

Safin's serve is a monster shot in itself. Huge backhand, decent forehand and pretty good net coverage.

Burrow
07-31-2009, 03:18 AM
I think some people forget how good his forehand was before, it's a terrible shot now, one of the worst shots in the top 100, but far from that during his better years.

leng jai
07-31-2009, 03:23 AM
Safin's forehand was awesome when he was "on", but not so great when hes in the clown phase. Always the first thing to fall apart.

tennishero
07-31-2009, 03:33 AM
With Safin of 2002/04/05/ or 2000?

any :)

abraxas21
07-31-2009, 05:46 AM
Fair enough, I don't rate the TMC win as high as others because Safin, Agassi, Roddick, Hewitt and Nadal pulled out. All players capable of beating Nalbandian.

2005-end Agassi wouldn't have been capable of beating Nalbandián at his top.
Roddick beating an all form Nalbandián? No way...
Nadal? No way that he would have beaten an all form Nalbandián. History shows that even when Nalbandian doesn't play at his top he can cause big troubles to Nadal.

Nalbandian has losing head to head records over Safin, Agassi, Roddick and Hewitt.

Errr.. there's a reason why this thread has 'at his top' in the title.

Plus Federer was a little injured in the final. Very fortunate to even be there.

It's hard to say how much his injury really affected him but it should be noted that he managed to beat all of his rivals before including a double bagel against Gastón Gaudio in the semis.

GlennMirnyi
07-31-2009, 06:04 AM
:lol:

Nalbandian's top form doesn't exist. It's a legend. It's pure overhype.

Look at his TMS titles - huge flukes. He almost lost to a paralytic Federer at the TMC final.

Puschkin
07-31-2009, 06:40 AM
Safin, hands down. Hence the 2 slams. Even without them, though, Marat is just more naturally gifted. I like David though and wish he would do well after his hip heals.
:yeah: Nothing to add.

Forehander
07-31-2009, 10:14 AM
It's not about what the outcome would be when they play against each other. In terms of match-up Safin have the upper edge against Nalbandian because he has the game to neutralize Nalbandian's strength. Safin hits it with constant flat pace hard and deep therefore not always giving Nalbandian alot of angles to work with, which is obviously what he's best at. I still remember in year 2002 when Safin absolutely demolished Nalbandian, it was simply a case of bad match up.

thrust
07-31-2009, 02:34 PM

NONSENSE! To me, Nalbandian is the most overrated player on this board like Mary Pierce is on the women's GM Board.

Burrow
07-31-2009, 02:46 PM
2005-end Agassi wouldn't have been capable of beating Nalbandián at his top.
Roddick beating an all form Nalbandián? No way...
Nadal? No way that he would have beaten an all form Nalbandián. History shows that even when Nalbandian doesn't play at his top he can cause big troubles to Nadal.

Errr.. there's a reason why this thread has 'at his top' in the title.

It's hard to say how much his injury really affected him but it should be noted that he managed to beat all of his rivals before including a double bagel against Gastón Gaudio in the semis.

I don't think an "in form" Nalbandian would have been able to beat any of those guys comfortably if they were playing decent tennis.

He wasn't even in form coming into the TMC, beating a few clowns in Madrid and going out early in Paris.

Burrow
07-31-2009, 02:47 PM
It's not about what the outcome would be when they play against each other. In terms of match-up Safin have the upper edge against Nalbandian because he has the game to neutralize Nalbandian's strength. Safin hits it with constant flat pace hard and deep therefore not always giving Nalbandian alot of angles to work with, which is obviously what he's best at. I still remember in year 2002 when Safin absolutely demolished Nalbandian, it was simply a case of bad match up.

or maybe the case of being beaten by a better player.

Burrow
07-31-2009, 02:49 PM
any :)

So why didn't he win the US Open?

tennishero
07-31-2009, 02:55 PM
NONSENSE! To me, Nalbandian is the most overrated player on this board like Mary Pierce is on the women's GM Board.

I would say that about Marat. He got his slams, achieved some success now he's just overrated.

tennishero
07-31-2009, 02:56 PM
So why didn't he win the US Open?

not at his best.

Burrow
07-31-2009, 03:05 PM
So how couldn't Nalbandian beat Safin all of those other times they met before 2005?

Not at his best?

I think you're the one overrating a guy based on the form of a few weeks. :lol:

Serenidad
07-31-2009, 04:18 PM

Peak Pierce. :inlove:

Nalbandian doesn't deserve to be mentioned with her.

bokehlicious
07-31-2009, 04:48 PM
have to go with the fat one here

Byrd
08-01-2009, 01:38 AM
Oaf wins this, everything goes in his favour with the exception of Nalbandian's ROS and angles he can create when he's on.

guga2120
08-01-2009, 02:03 AM
I can not believe that almost 30 people think Fat Dave, is better than a prime Safin.:confused:

out_here_grindin
08-01-2009, 02:40 AM
Sagin. 2 slams is better than 0. Nalbandian's one final he got thrashed.

MacTheKnife
08-01-2009, 02:42 AM
I can not believe that almost 30 people think Fat Dave, is better than a prime Safin.:confused:

It must be all the 30 Nalbandy fans on MTF.. ;)

jayjay
08-01-2009, 02:51 AM
Sagin. 2 slams is better than 0. Nalbandian's one final he got thrashed.

Who won the most Slams wasn't the question.

Or are we saying now that Thomas Johansson is a better player at his best than Nalbandian? :confused:

You have to give Safin the edge for the greater sting on his shots and a much better all round server. The serve is probably the biggest edge, cos if Nalbandian could serve like Safin has for a majority of his career, he would surely have won the Slam or two that many expected of him from the outset.

Burrow
08-01-2009, 03:45 AM
Who won the most Slams wasn't the question.

Or are we saying now that Thomas Johansson is a better player at his best than Nalbandian? :confused:

You have to give Safin the edge for the greater sting on his shots and a much better all round server. The serve is probably the biggest edge, cos if Nalbandian could serve like Safin has for a majority of his career, he would surely have won the Slam or two that many expected of him from the outset.

Well even at his best, Nalbandian wasn't able to win slams.

Oh, I forgot, he wasn't at his best in any slam, he was at his best for two weeks in 2007. :rolleyes:

Also, why not vote in the poll?

ballbasher101
08-01-2009, 04:15 AM
have to go with the fat one here

And the fat one it is :wavey:

Burrow
08-01-2009, 04:22 AM
And the fat one it is :wavey:

...that's losing the poll. :o

MatchFederer
08-01-2009, 04:28 AM
Come ON guys. The answer IS Safin.

But in actuality I have no idea and it would probably be very close, seeing as any top pros absolute peak play would probably result in a very tight match if the two players then played each other.

ballbasher101
08-01-2009, 04:37 AM
...that's losing the poll. :o

Well a lot of tennis fans these days view ball bashing as the best form of tennis, I guess you are one of those.

jayjay
08-01-2009, 04:46 AM
Well even at his best, Nalbandian wasn't able to win slams.

Oh, I forgot, he wasn't at his best in any slam, he was at his best for two weeks in 2007. :rolleyes:

Who said that?

Being at your best in one slam and not winning it, may well have been good enough to win others. Not that I particularly care to debate it, either way.

Winning Slams doesn't mean you played your best tennis, it's only important if it was winning tennis. You could hardly say Federer played his best tennis at the French Open, but he didn't need to.

Safin and Nalbandian have most likely played their best tennis outside of Slams, even though Safin won two, it doesn't mean his best performances came in those events - although his win over Sampras at USO for example was a crushing display that has to be up there with one of his best ever played.

Nalbandian's best tennis consistently has come in DC, rather than Slams, and yes, also when he won Madrid and Paris he played some exceptional tennis against the very best at the time.

I'll give another example, Coria losing to Nadal in the Rome Final 2005. Coria's performance was better than a whole bunch of clay court title winners throughout that year (Nadal aside), he wasn't able to win that day cos he came up against someone who was marginally better - the thinnest of margins. That performance by Coria against any other player on clay at that time, would have won him the match.

That was the greatest Coria ever played on clay, but he lost. Whereas he won plenty of titles on clay playing at a level nowhere near that. In the context of the thread question, it's for each person to decide at what moment were each respective player at their best - it might have been for a match, a week, or a year. That's up to each person to decide, I would have thought.

Also, why not vote in the poll?

I couldn't really give a shit for the poll, any MTF poll, for that matter. The comments in the thread may be of interest, but the poll itself, not at all. If it will help you sleep better to know that if I had to vote, it would be in Safin's favour, then do so. I understand that for people such as yourself the result of the poll may be quite significant as to how MTF views a player you like in relation to a topic/debate etc and I respect your right to take things like that to heart. I don't.

kooties
08-01-2009, 04:58 AM
Safin is a bigger headcase, yet still has a lot to show more for it 2 slams, winning h2h against Nalbandian, Also beating Federer at a slam semi is way more impressive than beating Fed and Nadal during the indoor events.

Safin, not even close.

Sapeod
08-01-2009, 05:07 AM
Who the fuck is saying Nalbandian? Holy shit, are you guys that stupid. What does Nalbandian have to show? Semis at all slam including a final at Wimbledon. Very good but Marat has 2 slams, semis at all escept RG, winning h2h against David and a lot of MS titles. It's stupid that Nalbandian has over 20% of the votes.

leng jai
08-01-2009, 05:38 AM
But results don't have that much to do with how good a player is at their peak.

Sapeod
08-01-2009, 05:39 AM
Well, still Safin. peak Safin vs. peak Nalbandian would be a win for Marat.

kooties
08-01-2009, 05:57 AM
Who the fuck is saying Nalbandian? Holy shit, are you guys that stupid. What does Nalbandian have to show? Semis at all slam including a final at Wimbledon. Very good but Marat has 2 slams, semis at all escept RG, winning h2h against David and a lot of MS titles. It's stupid that Nalbandian has over 20% of the votes.

Actually Safin reached the RG semis in 2002.

Whole-heartedly agree though.

Sapeod
08-01-2009, 06:13 AM
Actually Safin reached the RG semis in 2002.

Whole-heartedly agree though.
Oh, so 4 semis at every slam. That makes it even better for Safin.

stzenit
08-01-2009, 06:37 AM
Safin at his best is better, come on Nalbandian rarely even showed his best Safin at least showed his top game more then once or twice hence why he won two grand slams.

tennishero
08-01-2009, 01:50 PM
Safin at his best is better, come on Nalbandian rarely even showed his best Safin at least showed his top game more then once or twice hence why he won two grand slams.

Well, still Safin. peak Safin vs. peak Nalbandian would be a win for Marat.

ur wrong. people are voting based on GS results.
Safin was more consistent, thats true, hence why he was able to win a slam. Nalbandian's form varies though, he got injured a couple of times in semi's when he was winning.

Safin beat the top 3 players in a row once, Nalbandian did it twice, if you compare Nalbandian of late 2007 with any form of Safin, Nalbandian would win - he demolished Federer, Safin barely beat him in the AO semis of 2005.
Look at the H2H aswell:
Safin 2-10
Nalbandian 8-10

If Safin is so good why has he lost to Federer 3x times as much.

oranges
08-01-2009, 02:06 PM

Because, unlike Nalby, he played him mostly in slams and among a few when not, the majority were again best-of-five. What exactly is the point of the H2H as an argument or in other words, if Nalbandian is better, how come he's lost twice as much to Safin as he won against him, not to mention that before 2006, he was down to just one win.

Burrow
08-01-2009, 04:20 PM
But results don't have that much to do with how good a player is at their peak.

Well it actually does, unless you are saying Nalbandian didn't play his best in any slam, which, if he never, is absolutely pathetic. I don't think I've seen Nalbandian play much better than he did at the Australian Open in 2006, he didn't win though. He's just not good enough to win a slam.

kooties
08-01-2009, 04:21 PM
Safin was more consistent, thats true, hence why he was able to win a slam. Nalbandian's form varies though, he got injured a couple of times in semi's when he was winning.

Safin beat the top 3 players in a row once, Nalbandian did it twice, if you compare Nalbandian of late 2007 with any form of Safin, Nalbandian would win - he demolished Federer, Safin barely beat him in the AO semis of 2005.
Look at the H2H aswell:
Safin 2-10
Nalbandian 8-10

could it be.... tennis is dependent on the matchups??? :confused:

GugaF1
08-01-2009, 04:28 PM
Safin is a Nalbandian 2.0 V. Same style basically, good movers all around courters with a great backhand. The main difference is that Safin is more powerfull at his peak. While Nalbandian has a better ball placement and angles.

Burrow
08-01-2009, 04:33 PM
Who said that?

Being at your best in one slam and not winning it, may well have been good enough to win others. Not that I particularly care to debate it, either way.

Winning Slams doesn't mean you played your best tennis, it's only important if it was winning tennis. You could hardly say Federer played his best tennis at the French Open, but he didn't need to.

Safin and Nalbandian have most likely played their best tennis outside of Slams, even though Safin won two, it doesn't mean his best performances came in those events - although his win over Sampras at USO for example was a crushing display that has to be up there with one of his best ever played.

Nalbandian's best tennis consistently has come in DC, rather than Slams, and yes, also when he won Madrid and Paris he played some exceptional tennis against the very best at the time.

I'll give another example, Coria losing to Nadal in the Rome Final 2005. Coria's performance was better than a whole bunch of clay court title winners throughout that year (Nadal aside), he wasn't able to win that day cos he came up against someone who was marginally better - the thinnest of margins. That performance by Coria against any other player on clay at that time, would have won him the match.

That was the greatest Coria ever played on clay, but he lost. Whereas he won plenty of titles on clay playing at a level nowhere near that. In the context of the thread question, it's for each person to decide at what moment were each respective player at their best - it might have been for a match, a week, or a year. That's up to each person to decide, I would have thought.

I couldn't really give a shit for the poll, any MTF poll, for that matter. The comments in the thread may be of interest, but the poll itself, not at all. If it will help you sleep better to know that if I had to vote, it would be in Safin's favour, then do so. I understand that for people such as yourself the result of the poll may be quite significant as to how MTF views a player you like in relation to a topic/debate etc and I respect your right to take things like that to heart. I don't.

:spit:

And you don't want to vote in the poll because it's public and you've stated Safin plays better at the top his game.You don't want to vote for him. :lol:

Well then let's have a look at Calleri, unstoppable playing his best, but his best has came in IS. Therefore he plays better at the top of his game than Nalbandian, but it doesn't come in slams and it has happened less than 5 times in his career, so who cares?

If you can't produce your best tennis on the biggest of stages, then you're simply not as good as the guys who can, for whatever reason. Winning slams is what it's all about and Nalbandian has never been able to win a slam. (:lol:)

If Nalbandian was so good and a better player at his peak than Safin was at his peak then he'd have won slams. Anybody can have a good match or two in Davis Cup or IS.

Burrow
08-01-2009, 04:36 PM
Safin is a Nalbandian 2.0 V. Same style basically, good movers all around courters with a great backhand. The main difference is that Safin is more powerfull at his peak. While Nalbandian has a better ball placement and angles.

They don't have the same style at all, Safin has a far bigger serve, plays way more attacking and comes forward far more regularly.

Nalbandian has better shot placement? oh lawd...

GugaF1
08-01-2009, 04:49 PM
They don't have the same style at all, Safin has a far bigger serve, plays way more attacking and comes forward far more regularly.

Nalbandian has better shot placement? oh lawd...

Sorry, I didn`t place Safin sky high enough for you fanboy ?

You make it sound like they are in a different league of players. While they are quite similar. Both are great baseliners, movers and have some of the best two handed backhand the circuit has seen in years. The differences are Safin is more powerful, I agreed on that. But he also has a higher tendency to be a ballasher even on his peak days, when things don`t go well just try and hit the ball harder and harder. Lost many matches like that.

Nalbandian is less powerful, so he can suffer with lesser players without the pure power to blown opponets away. But he can relly on better touch and ball placement, which are one of the best of the ciruit. So similar foundation, but one with more power and other more touch. At net they are almost identical.

jayjay
08-01-2009, 05:11 PM
:spit:

And you don't want to vote in the poll because it's public and you've stated Safin plays better at the top his game.You don't want to vote for him. :lol:

What?

I don't want to vote in the poll because it's public? What?

I have NO INTEREST IN THE POLL.

I've said Safin is better because I think he is, do I have to vote in the poll, too, or will you kill yourself if I don't?

I actually quite like Safin, always have. It's a little bit annoying having to debate with one of his fanboys who no doubt gets upset whenever Safin doesn't win a poll on MTF, but I couldn't have expected more from the conversation.

Just try, if you can, to understand that some people on MTF couldn't give a fuck about voting in a poll. If one was created today asking whether Burrow is a ****, I wouldn't vote, 'yes', even though I suspect that you are.

Well then let's have a look at Calleri, unstoppable playing his best, but his best has came in IS. Therefore he plays better at the top of his game than Nalbandian, but it doesn't come in slams and it has happened less than 5 times in his career, so who cares?

If that's your opinion, that's fine. I don't really care. :shrug:

If you can't produce your best tennis on the biggest of stages, then you're simply not as good as the guys who can, for whatever reason. Winning slams is what it's all about and Nalbandian has never been able to win a slam. (:lol:)

You've obviously got a bit of a hard on for getting down on Nalbandian as well as being a Safin fanboy extraordinaire, and that's fine. There are some outstanding players in the history of tennis who never won GS's, that's just the way it is. However, if it's that simple for you, then sure Gaston Gaudio was a better player than Marcelo Rios - sure! :yeah:

If Nalbandian was so good and a better player at his peak than Safin was at his peak then he'd have won slams. Anybody can have a good match or two in Davis Cup or IS.

Jesus Christ, you really are just so pro-Safin that you don't even pay attention to the question the thread starter posed at all. Once you understand the question asked, then you might begin to understand why there are more than a few people who went for Nalbandian rather than Safin.

It's a matter of opinion, this question, not a matter of fact. Safin won more Slams, that's a matter of fact. Who was better at their peak, that's a matter of opinion.

Now of course, it was always going to be the case, cos it's MTF, that there would be posters like you in it - completely blind and oblivious to any point of view that isn't your own.

Enjoy the rest of the thread. :wavey:

GlennMirnyi
08-01-2009, 05:21 PM

Look at the H2H aswell:
Safin 2-10
Nalbandian 8-10

When did Nalbandian demolish Federer in a GS in 2007?

That never happened.

Get real, Nalbandian doesn't have what it takes to win slams. And he barely beat a crippled Frauderer in the TMC.

GlennMirnyi
08-01-2009, 05:25 PM
Sorry, I didn`t place Safin sky high enough for you fanboy ?

You make it sound like they are in a different league of players. While they are quite similar. Both are great baseliners, movers and have some of the best two handed backhand the circuit has seen in years. The differences are Safin is more powerful, I agreed on that. But he also has a higher tendency to be a ballasher even on his peak days, when things don`t go well just try and hit the ball harder and harder. Lost many matches like that.

Nalbandian is less powerful, so he can suffer with lesser players without the pure power to blown opponets away. But he can relly on better touch and ball placement, which are one of the best of the ciruit. So similar foundation, but one with more power and other more touch. At net they are almost identical.

Wow, look at who's calling him a fanboy. :haha:

Of course Safin is in a different league. That's pretty clear. There's a league of players without any GS wins, there's a league of players with one slam and above that there's a league for double slam winners. Then there's a league for doubles slam winners who won their first slam beating Sampras. Safin is waaaay above Fat Dave.

rocketassist
08-01-2009, 05:37 PM
Safin's forehand broke down less, served better and was better at the net.

Both had world class backhands but Safin's power just edges that department in his favour.

Add to that 2 Grand Slams >> 0 Grand Slams and the world no 1 ranking.

Safin >>>>>>> Nalbandian.

Burrow
08-01-2009, 09:00 PM
What?

I don't want to vote in the poll because it's public? What?

I have NO INTEREST IN THE POLL.

I've said Safin is better because I think he is, do I have to vote in the poll, too, or will you kill yourself if I don't?

I actually quite like Safin, always have. It's a little bit annoying having to debate with one of his fanboys who no doubt gets upset whenever Safin doesn't win a poll on MTF, but I couldn't have expected more from the conversation.

Just try, if you can, to understand that some people on MTF couldn't give a fuck about voting in a poll. If one was created today asking whether Burrow is a ****, I wouldn't vote, 'yes', even though I suspect that you are.

If that's your opinion, that's fine. I don't really care. :shrug:

You've obviously got a bit of a hard on for getting down on Nalbandian as well as being a Safin fanboy extraordinaire, and that's fine. There are some outstanding players in the history of tennis who never won GS's, that's just the way it is. However, if it's that simple for you, then sure Gaston Gaudio was a better player than Marcelo Rios - sure! :yeah:

Jesus Christ, you really are just so pro-Safin that you don't even pay attention to the question the thread starter posed at all. Once you understand the question asked, then you might begin to understand why there are more than a few people who went for Nalbandian rather than Safin.

It's a matter of opinion, this question, not a matter of fact. Safin won more Slams, that's a matter of fact. Who was better at their peak, that's a matter of opinion.

Now of course, it was always going to be the case, cos it's MTF, that there would be posters like you in it - completely blind and oblivious to any point of view that isn't your own.

Enjoy the rest of the thread. :wavey:

Well in MY opinion, you should go wank over your previous avatars you used to sport. You're also a hypocrite, shown in your rep to me :lol:

This isn't the same thing as Gaudio Rios.

Let's look at this :lol:

Rios was number 1, Gaudio I think 6.
Rios won around 20 titles, Gaudio less than 10.
Rios was other big titles, 5 masters series, grand slam cup, Gaudio only has RG.
Clear that Rios had the better overall career.

Safin has 2 slams and 2 finals, Nalbandian has 1 final.
Safin has won 15 titles, Nalbandian doesn't match this either.
Safin more Masters series.
Safin was number 1, Nalbandian 3.
All before the age of 25.

I don't see how you can make this comparison, you deluded "I big up all Argentinian players" Fanboy. Whatever way you look at it, everything indicates Safin played better when on the top of his game.

jayjay
08-01-2009, 09:33 PM
Well in MY opinion, you should go wank over your previous avatars you used to sport.

Gladly.

You're also a hypocrite, shown in your rep to me :lol:

No, I'm not. Before when I was taking the piss out you, it was an inside joke. Now, it's because it is warranted.

I don't see how you can make this comparison, you deluded "I big up all Argentinian players" Fanboy.

Of course I do. Always loved Chela. :yeah:

Sapeod
08-01-2009, 09:35 PM
An arguement between two clowns. Always good entertainment.

jayjay
08-01-2009, 09:37 PM

Who the fuck are you? And learn how to spell, before Burrow teaches you a lesson.

ORGASMATRON
08-01-2009, 09:38 PM

Yup, great minds think alike :lol:

Sapeod
08-01-2009, 09:38 PM
Who the fuck are you? And learn how to spell, before Burrow teaches you a lesson.
Your mother.

jayjay
08-01-2009, 09:39 PM
Your mother.

:eek:

Sapeod
08-01-2009, 09:43 PM
:eek:
Yeah, so shoo. Keep to your arguement.

jayjay
08-01-2009, 09:44 PM
I'm Sapeod. Can't you read?

Oh yeah, I think I heard about you the other day, aren't you the new ACC blood?

ps. You edited and then deleted too late. Glad to see you spotted your mistake.

Sapeod
08-01-2009, 09:46 PM
Oh yeah, I think I heard about you the other day, aren't you the new ACC blood?

ps. You edited and then deleted too late. Glad to see you spotted your mistake.
ACC blood? Ha! Nope. You are though.

jayjay
08-01-2009, 09:48 PM
You've heard of me. I'm flattered. ACC blood? Maybe, but just for fun ;)

I know I edited it. I thought you wouldn't be able to take it :tears: But I've changed it back now, just for you :hatoff:

lol, good luck in ACC, by all accounts you should give Gu a real fight for it this year, although personally I've never seen your work.

Sapeod
08-01-2009, 09:52 PM
lol, good luck in ACC, by all accounts you should give Gu a real fight for it this year, although personally I've never seen your work.
Well stick around. You might do well too :yeah: You've got the talent to go far.

jayjay
08-01-2009, 09:55 PM
Well stick around. You might do well too :yeah: You've got the talent to go far.

Stick around? I've been here for three years, thanks.

Sapeod
08-01-2009, 09:57 PM
Stick around? I've been here for three years, thanks.
Did I say you haven't?

GugaF1
08-01-2009, 09:58 PM
Wow, look at who's calling him a fanboy. :haha:

Of course Safin is in a different league. That's pretty clear. There's a league of players without any GS wins, there's a league of players with one slam and above that there's a league for double slam winners. Then there's a league for doubles slam winners who won their first slam beating Sampras. Safin is waaaay above Fat Dave.

wow, congrats you were able to make a post without gratious bashing. On the results sense, Safin is clearly ahead of Nalbandian, although both are considered top level Players. I never said Nalbandian is a better palyer than Safin. But I think they are both top level players and at the peak of their game is quite an interesting match up.

Now do you hold Nadal with the same standard, that you are talking about ? I think not. You hold different standards to the players you like. Over emphasizing Safin`s cold results because you like him. While a player that you don`t like, their cold results are to be disregarded, don`t matter how great they are, am I wrong ?

jayjay
08-01-2009, 10:00 PM
Did I say you haven't?

To be honest, what you say, and my interest in it, is well past its end. As you were.

Burrow
08-01-2009, 10:00 PM
Gladly.

No, I'm not. Before when I was taking the piss out you, it was an inside joke. Now, it's because it is warranted.

Of course I do. Always loved Chela. :yeah:

Taking the piss with useless information, your ignorance is hilarious.

And orgasmatron, you're a complete and utter clown. You wouldn't even bother attempting to get into a discussion, you can shhhh.

Sapeod, or whatever, you're a little sap, you're just out of nappies, enough said.

jayjay
08-01-2009, 10:01 PM
Taking the piss with useless information, your ignorance is hilarious.

The joke was well received and executed almost to perfection, you just happened to be the pre-selected dummy run.

Burrow
08-01-2009, 10:02 PM
wow, congrats you were able to make a post without gratious bashing. On the results sense, Safin is clearly ahead of Nalbandian, although both are considered top level Players. I never said Nalbandian is a better palyer than Safin. But I think they are both top level players and at the peak of their game is quite an interesting match up.

Now do you hold Nadal with the same standard, that you are talking about ? I think not. You hold different standards to the players you like. Over emphasizing Safin`s cold results because you like him. While a player that you don`t like, their cold results are to be disregarded, don`t matter how great they are, am I wrong ?

"Cold results" :lol:

And I don't think glennmirnyi actually likes Safin, he's bashed him before quite a lot of times.

Burrow
08-01-2009, 10:03 PM
The joke was well received and executed almost to perfection, you just happened to be the pre-selected dummy run.

I wasn't actually talking about this sad, little, "inside joke".

Sapeod
08-01-2009, 10:12 PM
To be honest, what you say, and my interest in it, is well past its end. As you were.
Oh no. jayjay is not interested in me anymore :tears: What ever am I gonna do.

Sapeod
08-01-2009, 10:16 PM
Sapeod, or whatever, you're a little sap, you're just out of nappies, enough said.
Get a clue Safinette. You don't have to talk shit all the time.

Burrow
08-01-2009, 10:43 PM
Safinette is a tag for FEMALE Safin fans :haha:

Something Muggay will never have :spit:

ORGASMATRON
08-01-2009, 10:47 PM

Why do you always have to be insulting others? Miura is one of the nicest guys on this forum yet you just had to diss him in your sig.

GugaF1
08-01-2009, 10:47 PM
The thread has becomed kids playground.

Sapeod
08-01-2009, 10:57 PM

That's exactly why I called you that.

Murray will have way more title, more GS and more money at the end of his career than Safin, so you can't say anything.

Burrow
08-01-2009, 10:59 PM
Why do you always have to be insulting others? Miura is one of the nicest guys on this forum yet you just had to diss him in your sig.

You're going on ignore.

Burrow
08-01-2009, 10:59 PM
Well of course he will have more titles and more money. Safin's best days were done at 25. What do you expect? :lol:

Safin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Muggay

ORGASMATRON
08-01-2009, 11:05 PM
The thread has becomed kids playground.

This coming from a guga fan.

That's exactly why I called you that.

Murray will have way more title, more GS and more money at the end of his career than Safin, so you can't say anything.

Of course he will.

You're going on ignore.

Awesome.

Well of course he will have more titles and more money. Safin's best days were done at 25. What do you expect? :lol:

Safin >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Muggay

:silly:

Sapeod
08-01-2009, 11:06 PM
Keep thinking that, Burrow. I don't care :shrug: Whatever you say Murray will be a much more succesful player than Safin ever could be.

Murray>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Safin in many ways.
You're going on ignore.

Because he thinks Martin is a nice guy?

Prick :nerner:

tennishero
08-02-2009, 01:58 AM

Yeah, so shoo. Keep to your arguement.

learn to spell argument :)

tennishero
08-02-2009, 02:00 AM
Keep thinking that, Burrow. I don't care :shrug: Whatever you say Murray will be a much more succesful player than Safin ever could be.

Murray>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Safin in many ways.

Because he thinks Martin is a nice guy?

Prick :nerner:

lol murray is a mug compared to safin

Sapeod
08-02-2009, 02:03 AM
learn to spell argument :)
Why do you care if I spell things wrong? Tell me. Do you get a hard on from it. You knew exactly what I meant, even if I spelt it wrong :retard:

Sapeod
08-02-2009, 02:07 AM
lol murray is a mug compared to safin
Murray is a way better player than Safin.

tennishero
08-02-2009, 02:11 AM
Why do you care if I spell things wrong? Tell me. Do you get a hard on from it. You knew exactly what I meant, even if I spelt it wrong :retard:

i dont care, just pointing out u fail at spelling

Sapeod
08-02-2009, 02:14 AM
:haha: I fail at spelling because of one word? :haha: :retard: :retard:

MacTheKnife
08-02-2009, 02:16 AM
:haha: I fail at spelling because of one word? :haha: :retard: :retard:

Sapeod, now i hav tod u meny tims 2 smell chit korrectly.

abraxas21
08-02-2009, 02:17 AM
This thread shows the true discussing level of MTF...

MacTheKnife
08-02-2009, 02:18 AM

You ain't seen nothing yet. Just hang around for a while.

Sapeod
08-02-2009, 02:18 AM
Sapeod, now i hav tod u meny tims 2 smell chit korrectly.
Sapeod, I have told you many times to spell shit correctly? Is that what you meant? :p

MacTheKnife
08-02-2009, 02:19 AM
Sapeod, I have told you many times to spell shit correctly? Is that what you meant? :p

Much better... :worship:

Sapeod
08-02-2009, 02:21 AM
Much better... :worship:
Yes. Way better :p

chammer44
08-02-2009, 03:59 AM
DEstroying Sampras in straight sets in a slam is tough to beat.

What comparable exploit has Nalbandian ever accomplished?

Madrid?:haha:

I like Nalbandian a lot. But please.

Safin was a world beater in his prime, fleeting though it was.

ChinoRios4Ever
08-02-2009, 05:48 AM

Welcome to the jungle. :wavey:

Albop
08-02-2009, 05:52 AM
31% of MTF it's completely insane.

Not surprising though.

NyGeL
08-02-2009, 06:27 AM
I think Safin is better. But you can see his best tennis once every two years.

Anyway, there isn't a big difference.

GlennMirnyi
08-02-2009, 07:01 AM

I don't like Safin. I'm just saying something obvious. Safin is way better than Fat Dave.

I don't hold different standards. Nadull has no tennis ability, he's just a moonballer. That's clearly not Safin's case.

"Cold results" :lol:

And I don't think glennmirnyi actually likes Safin, he's bashed him before quite a lot of times.

Unfortunately, Safin's diva-like attitude and some of his fans' fangirlism is enough to dislike Safin, despite the brilliant matches he's played.

GlennMirnyi
08-02-2009, 07:02 AM

You mean ruanz and yourself?

jayjay
08-02-2009, 04:39 PM

:lol: Vamos Gu.

ORGASMATRON
08-02-2009, 05:16 PM

We dont argue, in case you havnt noticed :silly:

GlennMirnyi
08-02-2009, 05:19 PM
We dont argue, in case you havnt noticed :silly:

I forgot you two are in a relationship.

Sorry.

ORGASMATRON
08-02-2009, 05:23 PM
I forgot you two are in a relationship.

Sorry.

Actually if we were in a relationship we would argue. Give it up Glenn, you are making less sense with every post.

GlennMirnyi
08-02-2009, 05:28 PM
Actually if we were in a relationship we would argue. Give it up Glenn, you are making less sense with every post.

You like it rough then, sugar?

ORGASMATRON
08-02-2009, 05:30 PM
You like it rough then, sugar?

I rest my case.

sheva07
08-02-2009, 05:31 PM

LMAO at this mug.

Corey Feldman
08-02-2009, 05:35 PM
Marat may have the slams but he's average talent compared to Nalbandian at his best

at least Nalb has the balls to give Fed and Nadal tough matches unlike Marat the flake who faded away and smashed racquets like Kevin the teenager

Nalb more natural talent in his little finger than Safin IMHO

and Marat was lucky to win his slams as well, Grosjean and Federer totally outplayed him in both, even Burrow admitted so

Burrow
08-02-2009, 05:39 PM
Nope.

:lol: Safin was really at his best when he played Nadal.

It'll be all different though if one of your favourites has an injury that fucks up their career :lol:

Corey Feldman
08-02-2009, 05:57 PM
Safin at his best when he played Nadal

:haha: you are a good comedian

Burrow
08-02-2009, 06:01 PM
Did I say he was at his best? Sarcasm, anyone?

Wow, you really are deluded.

Action Jackson
09-24-2009, 02:37 AM
Sorry to bump it, but the search seems to be broken.

n8
09-24-2009, 05:27 AM

So it's not OK for him to spell argument wrong, but it's OK for you to use bad punctuation?

I don't care, just pointing out you fail at spelling.

I couldn't help pointing out the irony sorry. :D

Based on what I've seen, Nalbandian plays better at the top of his game.

09-24-2009, 07:03 AM
Sorry to bump it, but the search seems to be broken.

GM has been very quiet the last few days. Most topics are re hashes of one or the other.

born_on_clay
09-24-2009, 10:05 AM
Nalby for sure

Ivanatis
09-24-2009, 10:06 AM
Nalbandian with ease

09-24-2009, 11:14 AM
See this is where the topics are different, I would vote Safin on this thread yet Nalbandian in the other I started today.

Safin at the top of his game won 2 grand slam titles; reached the 2004 AO final, reached 2 AO finals back to back, reached the semis of RG, reached the semis of Wimbledon and won the US open. Also won the AO beating the GOAT on the way.

Nalbandian reached a grand slam final and lost, reached 2 famous GS semis where he tanked after leading 2 sets to love, including being a break up against Baghdatis in AO 2006 3rd set.

Unless Nalbandian never reached his top form in a slam (you could argue the same for Safin), how was Safin not better at his top form?

Safin also beat Nalbandian at a grand slam.

Jōris
09-24-2009, 11:33 AM
Nalbandian.

Where did the other thread go, it hasn't been merged with this one (yet).

Jimnik
09-24-2009, 11:36 AM
Both gods at the top of their game. Fed, Sampras and Borg would be lucky to take sets.

FlavorNuts
09-24-2009, 11:51 AM
Nalbandian is in a different class to Safin. But factors such as limited motivation and training stopped him from achieving what he should have.
Apart from the serve, Nalbandian does everything a hell of a lot better than Safin. The only reason we're comparing Safin to a player of Nalbandian's quality is thanks to his height and athleticism.
Safin made his career hitting huge serves and mindlessly bashing backhands. No finesse, no court sense, no point construction.

oranges
09-24-2009, 12:20 PM
Nalbandian is in a different class to Safin. But factors such as limited motivation and training stopped him from achieving what he should have.
Apart from the serve, Nalbandian does everything a hell of a lot better than Safin. The only reason we're comparing Safin to a player of Nalbandian's quality is thanks to his height and athleticism.
Safin made his career hitting huge serves and mindlessly bashing backhands. No finesse, no court sense, no point construction.

It was not a question about Tursunov, mindlessly bashing :lol: I'll post my favorite among those mindless bashing BHs when I have time, have to work now

Safin_Lova
09-24-2009, 12:33 PM
This thread has become very interesting. I picked not sure because although I do love Safin, Nalbandian is a very good player, but Marat has the better career with 2 slams and five masters series. Although I have to say that Marat has been nothing but a complete joke the last few years which is the reason that Nalbandian has beaten him. At their all time best if they were playing eachother I am not sure who would win but maybe marat would marginally. I really respect Davids game he is a fantastic payer whom I think has underacheived.

Venle
09-24-2009, 01:11 PM
I'll go with Marat. Slam winnaa :hearts:

ad-out
09-24-2009, 10:09 PM
David has only beaten Marat 3 times out of 9 and Marat won the only final that they played.. Both of these players struggled at times with lack of motivation and injuries but at the top of their games Marat was better. It will be interesting to see how Nalby does next season..

Ichiban1920
09-24-2009, 11:48 PM
As much as I love Nalbandian, you'd have to be an absolute idiot with no clue about tennis to vote for Nalbandian. Go watch Safin in 2004/2005 then before voting for Nalbandian.

Ichiban1920
09-24-2009, 11:51 PM

:lol::lol:

Are you absolutely fucking retarded? Huge serves? As opposed to Nalbandian's WTA serve? Yeah, terrible. Mindless bashing backhands? Yeah, only the best backhand in the game during his prime. Nalbandian can hit better angles with his backhand but Safin had more power, it's a tossup. Safin blasted Nalbandian off the court in 75 percent of the matches he's played, not to mention he beat Frauderer in 2005 during his prime when it mattered in a slam. Yeah, the 2005 SF match Safin did nothing other than bash the ball endless of the court against Federer, no point construction at all.

Oh, and don't even compare forehands because it's not even close.

You, sir, are a fucking moron.

Clydey
09-25-2009, 03:31 AM
Nalbandian. Practically peerless when he plays his best.