Federer wants to play in Davis Cup playoff [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Federer wants to play in Davis Cup playoff

r2473
07-29-2009, 05:29 PM
http://www.tennischannel.com/news/NewsDetails.aspx?newsid=5843

Federer wants to play in Davis Cup playoff

7/29/2009 9:02:00 AM

GENEVA (AP) -Roger Federer reportedly wants to play in Switzerland's Davis Cup playoff against Italy in September.

Severin Luethi, part of Federer's coaching team, said the top-ranked player told him in May and again at Wimbledon that he intended to play in Italy.

``Nothing is definite yet, but there's a good chance that our best players will be there,'' said Luethi in Wednesday's edition of Lausanne-based daily Le Matin. ``I have to talk with him at the end of the week.''

In March, Federer sat out Switzerland's 4-1 loss to the United States in the first round of the World Group because of a back injury.

The Swiss face Italy in a playoff at Genoa on Sept. 18-20 to stay in the elite 16-team group that has a chance to win the 2010 title.

Federer will be 29 when next year's final is played, with few chances left to fulfill his ambition of winning a first Davis Cup title for Switzerland.

``Even if we haven't been given an easy opponent, Federer was happy he didn't have to play at the other end of the world,'' said Luethi, the team captain.

Federer is taking a break after his wife Mirka gave birth to twin girls, Charlene Riva and Myla Rose, last week. He is scheduled to return at a tournament starting Aug. 10 in Montreal.

``If the twins are in good health, I don't see any problem,'' Luethi said of Federer playing against Italy.

The best-of-five series against Italy is to be played on outdoor clay courts. It begins five days after the men's singles final of the U.S. Open, where Federer is the five-time defending champion.

Federer would likely team up with the 24th-ranked Stanislas Wawrinka to play singles and doubles against the Italians.

HattonWBA
07-29-2009, 08:37 PM
Not suprising really, i think that he will put more emphasis on davis cup now he has won 14 slams and do his best to win it. Cheers for the news

Sapeod
07-30-2009, 01:09 AM
Italy is fucked.

iSzavay.
07-30-2009, 01:59 AM
He should start playing for sure then.

GlennMirnyi
07-30-2009, 02:05 AM
Federer forum.

Some people here must be dumb.

Wojtek
07-30-2009, 05:38 AM
Federer forum.

Some people here must be dumb.

just don't open threads you don't want to read. You will have less problems in your life because every thread is for you is a problem.

I'm surprise no word MUG in your post :eek::eek:

Goldenoldie
07-30-2009, 08:13 AM
Must be good news for the Swiss, as their #3 player is ranked 145.

tennis2tennis
07-30-2009, 08:34 AM
Must be good news for the Swiss, as their #3 player is ranked 145.

I just wish that other than Stan and Federer, the others start focusing on their game a bit more, they should be more more ambitious, the problem with Swiss tennis players is that their thinking is to much local, if you know what I mean, they measure their success by how they're doing on a national scale not an international one!

iriraz
07-30-2009, 09:17 AM
A lot will deppend on his Us Open run.If he gets to the finals again i doubt that he will be ready in a week time to play in Europe on clay.

bokehlicious
07-30-2009, 09:22 AM
I just wish that other than Stan and Federer, the others start focusing on their game a bit more, they should be more more ambitious, the problem with Swiss tennis players is that their thinking is to much local, if you know what I mean, they measure their success by how they're doing on a national scale not an international one!

Like Heuberger, he's making way more money now that he runs his business than by travelling the world to get challengers' of futures' peanuts... :shrug: :o

denibas77
07-30-2009, 10:03 AM
Like Heuberger, he's making way more money now that he runs his business than by travelling the world to get challengers' of futures' peanuts... :shrug: :o
Is he Hingis former boyfriend?

bokehlicious
07-30-2009, 10:15 AM
Is he Hingis former boyfriend?

Hingis has been with so many guys... :o I'd say probably :shrug:

Goldenoldie
07-30-2009, 10:37 AM

Just like Britain really!:D

Action Jackson
07-30-2009, 01:40 PM
SuperFed to save the day.

Sinerra
07-30-2009, 08:22 PM
I thought Federer always plays Davis Cup playoffs? He never plays in the first round but he always plays the play offs because he wants Switzerland to remain in the world group.

I thought I heard him saying that once in an interview

oliverbwfc
07-30-2009, 08:28 PM
SuperFed to save the day.

Yipeeeeeeeee

Pea
07-30-2009, 11:02 PM
Eh, US Open will be over, so I don't see why not.