ATP Los Angeles 09 - 1R - L.Mayer def J.Ouanna 6-2 6-3 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

ATP Los Angeles 09 - 1R - L.Mayer def J.Ouanna 6-2 6-3

HattonWBA
07-29-2009, 08:57 AM
This Mayer is very impressive, he is great to watch and has the big shots, he also moves very well round the court, he also has a game that should be effective on all surfaces so im expecting big things of him. Awesome player and good solid win over Ouanna who has done nothing of note since his good Roland Garros run. Keep it going Leo :worship:

Audacity
07-29-2009, 09:01 AM
Ouanna you beast...

betowiec
07-29-2009, 09:03 AM
Leo is going to win this tournament

CooCooCachoo
07-29-2009, 12:59 PM
It took a while for Leonardo to develop, considering the potential he was claimed to have when he was still a junior, but he's made great strides this season. He's very enjoyable to watch, so I hope he does well this week :yeah:

philosophicalarf
07-29-2009, 01:05 PM
Good stuff - he showed some nice form on the grass too.

Ouanna sucks away from the clay though.

CooCooCachoo
07-29-2009, 02:17 PM
Good stuff - he showed some nice form on the grass too.

Ouanna sucks away from the clay though.

That's not true at all. While you may only know Ouanna from his RG results this year, his game is much better suited to fast surfaces. He reached the AO final as a junior, and many of his best results in Challengers are at indoor events.

Sapeod
07-29-2009, 02:18 PM
Good win Leo :yeah:

Keep it up.

philosophicalarf
07-29-2009, 02:47 PM
That's not true at all. While you may only know Ouanna from his RG results this year, his game is much better suited to fast surfaces. He reached the AO final as a junior, and many of his best results in Challengers are at indoor events.

Yes, I meant outdoors hard, oops. Pre-coffee, late night :-)

He's one of those strange player types who only performs indoors and on clay, but on midspeed surfaces his results are far worse (there are about 10-12 of this type in the top200). Lots of challenger losses to the likes of Pospisil and co. Even lost in AO qualis to Sweeting last time round.

Actually saw him play in Lyon last year against Lapentti, the round after he announced himself by beating Ljubo.

rocketassist
07-29-2009, 05:35 PM
Ouanna is a mug.

Smoke944
07-29-2009, 06:06 PM
Yes, I meant outdoors hard, oops. Pre-coffee, late night :-)

He's one of those strange player types who only performs indoors and on clay, but on midspeed surfaces his results are far worse (there are about 10-12 of this type in the top200). Lots of challenger losses to the likes of Pospisil and co. Even lost in AO qualis to Sweeting last time round.

Actually saw him play in Lyon last year against Lapentti, the round after he announced himself by beating Ljubo.

:scratch:
Sweeting is 15 months younger and only ranked a few spots lower. That's not an upset in any sense of the word.

roberthenman
07-29-2009, 11:44 PM
Come On Leo :rocker2:
this is the the oportunity for win the first Atp..........:drink:

philosophicalarf
07-29-2009, 11:55 PM
:scratch:
Sweeting is 15 months younger and only ranked a few spots lower. That's not an upset in any sense of the word.

Like I said, relative to his indoors and clay results, where he performs far better. For example, beating Granollers/Cuevas/Safin/Gil on clay, or Ljubo/Stakhovsky/Muller/Tipsarevic indoors. Some pretty creditable results there.

By comparison, on outdoors hard he's absolutely nowhere - his best ever results are beating de Chaunac this week, or Siriani last year in London. See how easily Leo Mayer beat him last match in LA, even at 41% first serve it was a cakewalk.

CooCooCachoo
07-30-2009, 07:13 AM
Like I said, relative to his indoors and clay results, where he performs far better. For example, beating Granollers/Cuevas/Safin/Gil on clay, or Ljubo/Stakhovsky/Muller/Tipsarevic indoors. Some pretty creditable results there.

By comparison, on outdoors hard he's absolutely nowhere - his best ever results are beating de Chaunac this week, or Siriani last year in London. See how easily Leo Mayer beat him last match in LA, even at 41% first serve it was a cakewalk.

That's not entirely true. Like I said, he is the AO Junior champ, so clearly he has some track record on the surface. While it is definitely the surface he has done worst on, if one disregards grass, he also beat Kevin Kim (112) this year. And you have to bear in mind that he only played a couple of events on the surface, so naturally the number of wins will be lower.

But in general, I agree with you; just trying to nuance it a little bit.

philosophicalarf
07-30-2009, 12:32 PM
That's not entirely true. Like I said, he is the AO Junior champ, so clearly he has some track record on the surface.

I tend to think surfaces as a junior don't really tell us much about how a player will develop, eg Cilic winning Roland Garros, but his game has developed since with a principle focus for really fast courts. You'd have to ask development coaches why it works like that - I always guessed it was in juniors, advantages in physical development were more important.

While it is definitely the surface he has done worst on, if one disregards grass, he also beat Kevin Kim (112) this year.

Fair enuff. Should have specified: I was using a constantly updated form database, which was more impressed with the Siriani/deChaunuc wins at the time than KK. Not much difference though.

And you have to bear in mind that he only played a couple of events on the surface, so naturally the number of wins will be lower.

True - although he's played just as few indoors, and still had some stonking good results there.