Umag will change surface [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Umag will change surface

samanosuke
07-28-2009, 12:17 PM
It's not confirmed yet but from next year Umag will be hard court tournament , main reason for that is fact that Croatian players don't play Umag because all of them rather play in America on hard courts

dusan1610
07-28-2009, 12:21 PM
It's not confirmed yet but from next year Umag will be hard court tournament , main reason for that is fact that Croatian players don't play Umag because all of them rather play in America on hard courts

yes...Karlovic with his serve :rocker2:

Action Jackson
07-28-2009, 12:23 PM
They have 4 main players, Ljubo is playing, Ancic is sick, Ivo having a non tournament week and Cilic has already got the most points from the IS events as he can.

Har-Tru
07-28-2009, 12:27 PM
retarded

TheBoiledEgg
07-28-2009, 12:29 PM
plus its to honour the King of Umag
Carlos Moya !!!!!!!!!!!!

duong
07-28-2009, 12:30 PM
The best Croatians are better on hard courts, that's true.
It would be the first European ATP tournament on hard courts in that period, but there are several challengers, and why not just before going to the USA ? :shrug:

samanosuke
07-28-2009, 12:38 PM
They have 4 main players, Ljubo is playing, Ancic is sick, Ivo having a non tournament week and Cilic has already got the most points from the IS events as he can.

Ancic never played in Umag, Ljubo did not not play in Umag when he was at his best , Karlovic played only two times and last match he won in 2003 and Cilic when he become "someone" don't play in Umag. Even Ivanisevic in his hole career played only on first tournament. I think that these are enough reasons to change a surface.

Har-Tru
07-28-2009, 12:42 PM
Ancic never played in Umag, Ljubo did not not play in Umag when he was at his best , Karlovic played only two times and last match he won in 2003 and Cilic when he become "someone" don't play in Umag. Even Ivanisevic in his hole career played only on first tournament. I think that these are enough reasons to change a surface.

you know, an ATP tournament isn't a national championship.

Action Jackson
07-28-2009, 12:45 PM

I think the OP wants the surface changed, then again they have Zagreb already.

GlennMirnyi
07-28-2009, 12:50 PM
Scrap Umug and keep Zagreb. It makes a lot more sense - Croatians play much better indoors.

GlennMirnyi
07-28-2009, 12:53 PM
Who cares about Umug. It's a mug tournament.

duong
Anyway, from what the OP says, it's what the organizers wish.

You can criticize it if you want, but that's what they think :shrug:

They like the best Croatians to play here, whether you like it or not :shrug:

samanosuke

yes, but what is purpose of tournament if you can't pay for big stars and you can get native players , tournament is not profitable then ??? anyway Umag can be exception but everywhere players play home tournaments

Matt01
07-28-2009, 12:57 PM

Umug ;)

philosophicalarf
07-28-2009, 01:02 PM

Damnit, the instant I saw this thread I was going to make that very same joke.

Should I be worried to be so mentally close to Glenn?

GlennMirnyi
07-28-2009, 01:08 PM
Damnit, the instant I saw this thread I was going to make that very same joke.

Should I be worried to be so mentally close to Glenn?

Being close to genius isn't that bad.

Har-Tru
07-28-2009, 01:16 PM
Anyway, from what the OP says, it's what the organizers wish.

You can criticize it if you want, but that's what they think :shrug:

They like the best Croatians to play here, whether you like it or not :shrug:

what is that supposed to mean?

mr_burns
07-28-2009, 01:16 PM
Hamburg should consider this...

JolánGagó
07-28-2009, 01:18 PM
I think that these are enough reasons to change a surface.

or to change location. let Umag move to Wisconsin :rocker2:

Action Jackson
07-28-2009, 01:20 PM
or to change location. let Umag move to Wisconsin :rocker2:

Move it to Fairbanks, they won't need any lighting.

philosophicalarf
07-28-2009, 01:21 PM
You can understand why, but it's a bit of a shame really - I quite liked that the last week of the European clay court swing players had a choice between the slowest clay court on tour, and the very fastest (Gstaad's uniqueness is rather spoiled by the need for acclimatisation though, and it probably needs to be in some part of the season where it's back to back with Kitzbuhel, or maybe before Madrid).

You do get a bit of a silly compromise for many players though, with a lot of the guys who are only really comfortable on fast clay (eg Melzer and Troicki), choosing to play Umag where it's pretty clear they're going to struggle.

Ideally the ATP should move things around a bit though, kill the post-Wimbly clay events and go straight to hard. Then they could put a week between Canada and Cinci (back to back is absurd), and more would play the 500 at Washington as a result.

Action Jackson
07-28-2009, 01:24 PM
Gstaad in May, hahaha.

bokehlicious
07-28-2009, 01:31 PM
Gstaad in May, hahaha.

It could easily be held in May... :shrug:

...indoors that is :o :p

CooCooCachoo
07-28-2009, 01:41 PM
I actually think it makes sense. But what if Croatia has better claycourt players in a couple of years? :lol: But it would be a good thing to have a tournament on hard in Europe at this time of the year.

duong
07-28-2009, 02:52 PM
what is that supposed to mean?

As I exclude ( :confused: ) the fact that you didn't understand my English words, maybe I have to say here that I was surprised that many people criticized the OP ... who just gave an information about what the organizers think about.

Instead of just considering (and discussing) the information, it seemed that beating down the poster was more meaningful or interesting.

Quite often in these threads people mostly say what they wish, and then I can understand such reactions,

but here it seemed that the poster gave a real information.

I had the impression that according to the reactions, it was not clear that it was different :shrug:

For instance saying "an ATP tournament is not a national championship" sounded awkward to me, as anyway the organizers' main worry is that they get their money back. IF national players make the money come, I guess they don't consider "general principle arguments" like that.

I hope it's clearer :confused: :shrug:

Andre♥
07-28-2009, 03:07 PM
Unless they change the surface and move the tournament to the United States, the Croatian players won't play there anyway! :lol:

Ljuba Truba will play as always, but then Ancic will be injured again, Cilic has better things to do and Karlovic likes playing in Croatia as much as Hewitt likes to play in Argentina.

Har-Tru
07-28-2009, 05:05 PM
As I exclude ( :confused: ) the fact that you didn't understand my English words, maybe I have to say here that I was surprised that many people criticized the OP ... who just gave an information about what the organizers think about.

Instead of just considering (and discussing) the information, it seemed that beating down the poster was more meaningful or interesting.

Quite often in these threads people mostly say what they wish, and then I can understand such reactions,

but here it seemed that the poster gave a real information.

I had the impression that according to the reactions, it was not clear that it was different :shrug:

For instance saying "an ATP tournament is not a national championship" sounded awkward to me, as anyway the organizers' main worry is that they get their money back. IF national players make the money come, I guess they don't consider "general principle arguments" like that.

I hope it's clearer :confused: :shrug:

It is clearer. I just believe in that case you should either cancel the tournament or move it somewhere else. If you're going to play it on hard, move it to the USA.

And can I say, no offence, that I'm tired of people outside continental Europe wanting to murder the summer clay season.

fast_clay
07-28-2009, 05:25 PM
And can I say, no offence, that I'm tired of people outside continental Europe wanting to murder the summer clay season.

i f**ing hate that... if its not some c*nt outside of europe f**king with sh!t, then its some dumb piece of eurotrash making decisions on something he's got no idea on...

imo... Umug should be played next week as a 500 equal with washington... and make the post wimbledon clay swing a 4 week affair... instead of playing two euro tournaments off against each other in the same week... give the opportunity to play two 500's different continents like other parts of the year...

both should have 5 set finals... any tournament that wants a five set final should have one if they want to be honest...

sometimes in the ATP, half arsed management only gets worse with time and never better...

HattonWBA
07-28-2009, 05:35 PM
Defintley improves a croations chances of winning it for the future, strange decision though

MacTheKnife
07-28-2009, 05:38 PM
Smart move.

fast_clay
07-28-2009, 05:52 PM
having swings on two different surfaces at the same time less sterilises the tour, and more accomodates room for various styles to live and breathe...

yeah... ok... if we want to watch clones do battle... lets go with more hard...

hooray c*ckheads...

Sapeod
07-28-2009, 07:17 PM
They should also change their name to Umug.

JolánGagó
07-28-2009, 10:31 PM
as if the tour needed more HC tourneys, while on the contrary half of them should be transferred to grass and clay.

Lee
07-28-2009, 11:46 PM
Move it to Fairbanks, they won't need any lighting.

It's fun playing tennis at midnight without lighting. Just like midnight golf ;)

fast_clay
07-28-2009, 11:53 PM
as if the tour needed more HC tourneys, while on the contrary half of them should be transferred to grass and clay.

only when you apply common sense would the above happen...

it does not take an a degree in quantum physics to explain this... all the best contrasts and rivalries come from styles that work best on each of these two surfaces... hardcourt has a role, but, only as a meeting place between these two...

very, very simple...

Sapeod
07-29-2009, 12:01 AM
to grass. There's plenty clay court tournaments already. Transferring them to grass would make an almost equal number of grass, hard and clay court tournaments.

ORGASMATRON
07-29-2009, 12:12 AM
They should also change their name to Umug.

Lol i was just gonna say who cares about Umug. Great minds think alike as always :D

zethand
07-29-2009, 01:03 AM
Who cares... it will be the same mug parade

fast_clay
07-29-2009, 01:38 AM
Who cares... it will be the same mug parade

yep... for sure...

but, for some 17-year old mug-wannabe piece of eurotrash, a quarter final appearance will be the stepping stone to something bigger...

Serenidad
07-29-2009, 04:42 AM
Who cares about Umug.

Be nice, Gu. :crying2:

:haha:

Lol i was just gonna say who cares about Umug. Great minds think alike as always :D

So now you're sniffing GlennMirnyi. Classic.