The most talentless player to make it to the top 10 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The most talentless player to make it to the top 10

abraxas21
07-28-2009, 04:27 AM
Nicolás Massu as far as I am aware. In any case, I've got to give my appreciation to him for his unique will power which not only allowed him to get to the top 10 but also to win the Olyimpic gold medal in singles and doubles in awesome five setters.

What do you think?

FlavorNuts
07-28-2009, 04:32 AM
Can't just pick one.
Ancic, Massu, Roddick, Robredo, Ferrer, Puerta.

leng jai
07-28-2009, 04:33 AM
Massu is a fine choice.

R.Federer
07-28-2009, 04:39 AM
In simple words, most talentless is just least talented :)

BigJohn
07-28-2009, 04:39 AM
Can't just pick one.
Ancic, Massu, Roddick, Robredo, Ferrer, Puerta.

Yeah right... top 10 since 02, #1 03, current top 5. He clearly belongs with the other players on that list.

BigJohn
07-28-2009, 04:42 AM

How about biggest mug?

jcreback
07-28-2009, 04:44 AM
Gaudio.

ClaudiuS
07-28-2009, 04:46 AM
Massú is the choice. But the guy is just a true fighter. RESPECT!

Bargearse
07-28-2009, 04:51 AM
I'm going to be controversial here....

If the definition of the word talent is as follows:

a. Natural endowment or ability of a superior quality.

Then I've got to go with Nadal here.

Natural talent is something I don't think Nadal has in abundance. He more than makes up for that with being a great athlete. He moves well, has great instincts and is mentally very strong. But his style of tennis lacks in the talent department. It's more manufactured and unorthodox. That's not to say he isn't a great player.:)

TMJordan
07-28-2009, 04:52 AM

Natural talent is something I don't think Nadal has in abundance. He more than makes up for that with being a great athlete. He moves well, has great instincts and is mentally very strong. But his style of tennis lacks in the talent department. It's more manufactured and unorthodox. That's not to say he isn't a great player.:)

:cuckoo:

straitup
07-28-2009, 04:55 AM

I definitely agree somewhat...I think Nadal has plenty of talent but he surely isn't the most talented. His game does come from the very physical aspects of tennis like running and being strong.

Anyway, just a note, I'd rather be the least talented top tenner than a player with immense talent who doesn't utilize it fully. So in a way it's not completely bad to make it on a lists like this

And half those players do not belong on the poll...I would probably go with Massu, but like everyone has said, he is a fighter

abraxas21
07-28-2009, 04:57 AM

Just added a pool without seeing the replies that this thread had already received. It's strange how several of the options i put have already been considered by some members...

Ok, that said, I actually thought about adding Nadal. I don't think he's very talented at all compared to many other guys on the tour right now but considering that this is about the most talentless players to ever make it to the top 10, I thought that it wasn't appropriate to include him.

TMJordan
07-28-2009, 04:58 AM
This thread is about the least talented player, not the "not most talented" Sure Rafa is not the most talented but thats not what this is about. It's not even close how much more talent Rafa has than Massu. This is Massu's thread. Give the dude some time in the limelight.

abraxas21
07-28-2009, 05:00 AM

oh... yes.. that's better

niezubayern1
07-28-2009, 05:12 AM
I'm sorry, but you can't be considered one of the least talented players ever in the top 10 if you've won 6 major titles. To win grand slams on all surfaces you have to have a lot of natural talent. Clearly, he doesn't have the most natural talent out there, but you have to be crazy to lump Nadal into a group of least talented top ten players ever.

kooties
07-28-2009, 06:29 AM
All slam winners are IMO exempt from the poll.

Action Jackson
07-28-2009, 06:47 AM
Another clown poll.

Sampras and Fedclown.

CooCooCachoo
07-28-2009, 07:04 AM
:retard:

HattonWBA
07-28-2009, 07:17 AM
Out of the options Massu

Bargearse
07-28-2009, 07:21 AM
I'm sorry, but you can't be considered one of the least talented players ever in the top 10 if you've won 6 major titles. To win grand slams on all surfaces you have to have a lot of natural talent. Clearly, he doesn't have the most natural talent out there, but you have to be crazy to lump Nadal into a group of least talented top ten players ever.

Ok, so he's talented at retrieving balls and keeping them in play by hitting topspin. Ok. So he is talented in some aspects of the game like mental toughness and guts out there. Fair enough I indicated as much. But geez, I never hear, 'Nadal has the best serve. Nadal has the best backhand. Nadal has the best drive volley....' never heard he was the best or was exceptional at anything traditionally tennis except intensity and mental toughness. Even guys like Robredo get compliments for their forehand. Roddick for his serve. Federer for every shot played in tennis.... even Davydenko's game is more pleasant to watch.

I knew I'd ruffle some feathers with this. It's just how I feel about talent. Talent doesn't always equate to success, just ask Gasquet. If he had an ounce of Nadal's fighting spirit and mental toughness, the sky would be the limit for him.

trixtah
07-28-2009, 07:38 AM

Nadal has some beastly angles that you just can't teach and his movement is way above par--he's definitely very talented.

leng jai
07-28-2009, 07:41 AM
Ok, so he's talented at retrieving balls and keeping them in play by hitting topspin. Ok. So he is talented in some aspects of the game like mental toughness and guts out there. Fair enough I indicated as much. But geez, I never hear, 'Nadal has the best serve. Nadal has the best backhand. Nadal has the best drive volley....' never heard he was the best or was exceptional at anything traditionally tennis except intensity and mental toughness. Even guys like Robredo get compliments for their forehand. Roddick for his serve. Federer for every shot played in tennis.... even Davydenko's game is more pleasant to watch.

I knew I'd ruffle some feathers with this. It's just how I feel about talent. Talent doesn't always equate to success, just ask Gasquet. If he had an ounce of Nadal's fighting spirit and mental toughness, the sky would be the limit for him.

There are people saying Nadull has the GOAT double handed backhand mate.

mr_burns
07-28-2009, 07:55 AM
kiefer does not deserve to be there, he really has talent...with more brain he would achieved more
another German deserves more to be on that list...guess who?

jonathancrane
07-28-2009, 07:59 AM
kiefer does not deserve to be there, he really has talent...with more brain he would achieved more

Tommug Haas?

Bargearse
07-28-2009, 08:00 AM
There are people saying Nadull has the GOAT double handed backhand mate.

I've just never heard that about his backhand. At least in none of the matches I've seen has that been said. I hear that more about guys like Murray and Nole. Not saying it's not true...

However, I've heard that Nadal is always improving because obviously he is a hard worker. His athleticism is undisputed. He plays every ball on it's merits because he has guts, passion, fighting spirit. Again, undisputed. I'm sure those aspects of his game are key to his success.

You know, in spite of lack of enthusiasm for Nadal's game, I've never called him dull or 'Nadull'. Moonball play may be nap worthy, but for some reason, his energy on the court keeps me watching.

Ivanatis
07-28-2009, 08:19 AM
Puerta

Goldenoldie
07-28-2009, 08:35 AM
Where is the space for "Other"? Out of the options I've gone for Puerta

Tabledott
07-28-2009, 08:45 AM
Simple Simon

mr_burns
07-28-2009, 09:03 AM
Tommug Haas?

:devil:no, in fact hass is one of the most talentest...

what about schuttler..

buzz
07-28-2009, 09:43 AM

Rainer Schuettler

Diphil
07-28-2009, 09:56 AM
Massu

rtgy
07-28-2009, 10:03 AM
Tommug Haas?

:rolls:

stebs
07-28-2009, 10:16 AM

Nadal excels in many of the games traditional elements. If you say Robredo has a forehand worth compliment what do you say about Nadal who has a FH ten times better? What do you say about his passing shots which are up their with the greatest of all time? If you look at other guys who made it pretty far with some game and a lot of heart like Simon and Massu then compare them to Nadal I don't think you can say the Spainard fights a lot harder, he is just a far superior player. It is tennis ability to be able to make what he makes from defensive situations, granted it takes fantastic movement to get to the balls he gets to but once there it isn't his heart that can whip the ball with great pace when totally out of court and get back into the point, it is skill.

As for games being more pleasant to watch:

1 - that is subjective and only takes your own opinion into account
2 - how aesthetically pleasing a particular players game is doesn't directly correlate with talent

jonathancrane
07-28-2009, 10:35 AM
:devil:no, in fact hass is one of the most talentest...

what about schuttler..

Bingo

FairWeatherFan
07-28-2009, 10:49 AM
Massu out of the options, but including Roddick, Kiefer, Philippoussis and Costa in this poll is laughable

Matt01
07-28-2009, 11:11 AM
Sampras and Fedclown.

:lol: I agree.

m9m9m9m9m9
07-28-2009, 11:15 AM
wtf with the poll options?
including Philipoussis, Kiefer, Roddick in the poll is just :retard:

ORGASMATRON
07-28-2009, 11:17 AM
Boredo. I was gonna say Ferrer but then i saw the poll. Lol!

ORGASMATRON
07-28-2009, 11:19 AM
:lol: I agree.

You would.

Matt01
07-28-2009, 11:31 AM
You would.

You wouldn't.

Bargearse
07-28-2009, 11:32 AM
Nadal excels in many of the games traditional elements. If you say Robredo has a forehand worth compliment what do you say about Nadal who has a FH ten times better? What do you say about his passing shots which are up their with the greatest of all time? If you look at other guys who made it pretty far with some game and a lot of heart like Simon and Massu then compare them to Nadal I don't think you can say the Spainard fights a lot harder, he is just a far superior player. It is tennis ability to be able to make what he makes from defensive situations, granted it takes fantastic movement to get to the balls he gets to but once there it isn't his heart that can whip the ball with great pace when totally out of court and get back into the point, it is skill.

2 - how aesthetically pleasing a particular players game is doesn't directly correlate with talent

Yep, you nailed it on the head. It's my opinion... There are those who have so much natural talent that they don't need coaching or to change anything about their game and others who have to work like a m0the$fu&ker to improve their game. Nadal I believe falls into the latter category.

Simon and Massu are great players, but I don't think their opponents have to hit 10 winners in a rally to beat them. This tenacity and athleticism from Nadal is what I think is so incredible about his game.

Sapeod
07-28-2009, 11:38 AM
You wouldn't.
Why would he :haha: :haha:

stebs
07-28-2009, 11:51 AM
Yep, you nailed it on the head. It's my opinion... There are those who have so much natural talent that they don't need coaching or to change anything about their game and others who have to work like a m0the$fu&ker to improve their game. Nadal I believe falls into the latter category.
No, every player needs to work very hard to make something big out of themselves. Nobody gets by on talent alone.

Simon and Massu are great players, but I don't think their opponents have to hit 10 winners in a rally to beat them. This tenacity and athleticism from Nadal is what I think is so incredible about his game.
Nadal has great anticipation and is very quick but he is not streets ahead of the field in terms of speed and yet does more with the ball when he reaches it. That is the difference and that is not only about tenacity and athleticism. It is about skill.

GlennMirnyi
07-28-2009, 12:46 PM

Wow, I'm sure passing shots are the true factor one should account when talent is in discussion. :lol:

Fantastic movement isn't a tennis ability. That's just training and physical conditioning.

It's the junior rackets and huge headsizes that whip the ball. Give him a wooden racket and let's see if he can do that.

Didn't know you became a Nadull fanboy. :rolleyes:

severus
07-28-2009, 02:32 PM
Rodduck has a very little natural talent.

ORGASMATRON
07-28-2009, 02:35 PM
Why would he :haha: :haha:

:haha: What a clown this Matt guy!

The Tardbusters strikes again!

stebs
07-28-2009, 02:35 PM
Wow, I'm sure passing shots are the true factor one should account when talent is in discussion. :lol:

Fantastic movement isn't a tennis ability. That's just training and physical conditioning.

It's the junior rackets and huge headsizes that whip the ball. Give him a wooden racket and let's see if he can do that.

Didn't know you became a Nadull fanboy. :rolleyes:

:wavey: 6 months later and you still aren't bored but you are still boring.

tennizen
07-28-2009, 03:12 PM

:lol:

Michael Bluth
07-28-2009, 03:33 PM
WTF is Roddick doing on this list?

World no.1, year end no.1, grand slam champion, multiple grand slam finalist, 4 masters shields, 27 titles and six years ended in the top 10 consecutively.

Lololita
07-28-2009, 04:04 PM

I've heard he's got a tiny penis too

abraxas21
07-28-2009, 05:23 PM
Where is the space for "Other"? Out of the options I've gone for Puerta

Yes, I should have added an option for "other" (i didn't think about doing it at the time) but please don't pay much attention to the pool. The results of the pool shouldn't be an indication of anything of real value or objectivity as the options are very limited and are entirely based on my own preconceptions of what talent is as well as my very own lousy memory of the huge number of players who have ever been in the top 10.

For future comments, i'd appreciatte if users would especify the name of the player if the options on the pool don't reflect what you think (which should be the case for most people).

abraxas21
07-28-2009, 05:24 PM
Tommug Haas?

Haas is one of the most talented players on the tour right now, imo.

Andre'sNo1Fan
07-28-2009, 05:26 PM

So you clown are saying you think Nadal is less talented than Massu for example. I know you hate him I can easily see that....but then again you don't have to be so blind into thinking that Nadal maybe the 'most talentless player to make it to top 10' cos anyone with an ounze of intelligence would realise he's far from that.

Pleasant to watch :rolleyes: isn't that subjective. Some people find Roddick's game extremely boring others find it exciting so whats the difference?

Get a life and stop hating and have a more objective view.

abraxas21
07-28-2009, 05:32 PM
wtf with the poll options?
including Philipoussis, Kiefer, Roddick in the poll is just :retard:

Yes, on the second thought, Philippousis shouldn't be there. My bad...

Roddick wouldn't have gone anywhere near the top 10 without his serve. I reckon that his baseline game has improved a bit in the recent years but it's still not that great when compared to other top players.

As for Kiefer, hmmm... I just never really liked his playing style.

abraxas21
07-28-2009, 05:34 PM
So you clown are saying you think Nadal is less talented than Massu for example. I know you hate him I can easily see that....but then again you don't have to be so blind into thinking that Nadal maybe the 'most talentless player to make it to top 10' cos anyone with an ounze of intelligence would realise he's far from that.

Pleasant to watch :rolleyes: isn't that subjective. Some people find Roddick's game extremely boring others find it exciting so whats the difference?

Get a life and stop hating and have a more objective view.

If there was a pool for least talented player to make it to the number one I'd probably go for Roddick, Nadal or Hewitt...

Ichiban1920
07-28-2009, 05:38 PM
WTF is Roddick doing on this list?

World no.1, year end no.1, grand slam champion, multiple grand slam finalist, 4 masters shields, 27 titles and six years ended in the top 10 consecutively.

Roddick is simply a one trick pony. AT least in 2003 he had a monster forehand, but now he can't even hit a flat forehand if his life depended on it. Crappy backhand, crappy volleys, awkward movement, loopy/pushy forehand, crappy slice, no touch or feel, yeah he's pretty untalented.

Ichiban1920
07-28-2009, 05:40 PM
Nadull is easily the most untalented player to win multiple slams.

abraxas21
07-28-2009, 05:41 PM
No, every player needs to work very hard to make something big out of themselves. Nobody gets by on talent alone.

Exactly, but I wanted to make this thread based on talent alone. Of corse, there are many other factors aside of talent that would should be condidered when it comes to judge the greatness of a player. The will power, the mindset in tough times, the physical condition, etc.
For example, I think that Marcelo Ríos is one of the most talented players to have ever played the game but in spite of winnnig a few Master Series and being the first South American to get to the top position (all pretty remarkable), I think he could have achieved a lot more had he had the will power of a player like Massu.
Maybe I could make a similar case for Nalbandián who is another very talented player that hasn't lived up to his talent potential yet and probably never will.

the graduate
07-28-2009, 05:42 PM
robo rod

moon language
07-28-2009, 05:43 PM
Blake

Adri89
07-28-2009, 05:44 PM
Rainer Shüttler by far.

Arnaud Clement deserves too a mention here.

Andre'sNo1Fan
07-28-2009, 05:44 PM
Nadull is easily the most untalented player to win multiple slams.
and will win some more very soon....

Ivanatis
07-28-2009, 05:49 PM
I'm actually surprised it's not Puerta 63, everybody else 0 as he's the only one who cheated his way into a GS final (and thus into the Top10).

Julio
07-28-2009, 05:49 PM
Ferrer and Massu imo.

chowdahead25
07-28-2009, 05:53 PM
Anyone who says Roddick is simply an American tennis player hater. Try to even attempt validating that arguments. If you are that stupid, go get some help.

Gaudio or Massu.

Burrow
07-28-2009, 05:54 PM
I'm actually surprised it's not Puerta 63, everybody else 0 as he's the only one who cheated his way into a GS final (and thus into the Top10).

what

the graduate
07-28-2009, 05:56 PM
Roddick is a big time ballbasher period

habibko
07-28-2009, 06:08 PM
Kiefer in the poll? :retard:

the answer you are looking for is Boredo.

Ichiban1920
07-28-2009, 06:14 PM
Anyone who says Roddick is simply an American tennis player hater. Try to even attempt validating that arguments. If you are that stupid, go get some help.

Gaudio or Massu.

What else does he have other than his serve?

Burrow
07-28-2009, 06:20 PM

Gaudio or Massu.

Well you're a dumbarse if you think Gaudio, he's won a grand slam you dummy.

FeñaRuiz
07-28-2009, 06:38 PM
Guillermo Cañas

philosophicalarf
07-28-2009, 06:40 PM
Kiefer in the poll? :retard:

A little harsh.

He's probably a candidate for worst in the top 5 though (2000).

Ivanatis
07-28-2009, 06:49 PM
what

Votes.

ballbasher101
07-28-2009, 06:50 PM
I like Simon but it has to be him. I don't like Boredo but I think he is a little more talented that Simon.

safinalium
07-28-2009, 07:08 PM
how come Wawrinka isn't included as an option?

Matt01
07-28-2009, 07:17 PM
What else does he have other than his serve?

Not very much, that's for sure :o

how come Wawrinka isn't included as an option?

Because he has lots of talent?

:wavey:

ORGASMATRON
07-28-2009, 11:59 PM
Why is Kiefer and Costa on the poll? I hardly ever seen a poll here that makes sense!

GlennMirnyi
07-29-2009, 12:21 AM

When you have no arguments you resort to bullshit like this. Expected.

ORGASMATRON
07-29-2009, 12:23 AM

Actually he made an extremely intelligent post ;)

Har-Tru
07-29-2009, 12:25 AM
what an awful poll.

Federer.

Voo de Mar
07-29-2009, 12:27 AM
Berasategui, the guy without any knowledge how to play on grass and indoors, humiliated in Masters 1994 like a junior.

GlennMirnyi
07-29-2009, 12:28 AM
Actually he made an extremely intelligent post ;)

For someone with an IQ in the 20s like you, yeah.

Talk to my hand.

Sapeod
07-29-2009, 12:28 AM

Talk to my hand.

Oh, the irony :haha:

GlennMirnyi
07-29-2009, 12:34 AM

Ah there's the girlfriend.

Took you some time to come to the rescue.

mark73
07-29-2009, 12:35 AM
Talent refers basically to potential, Where hard work (both in terms of quantity and quality) determines how far you come to realizing your potential. If you watch a bunch of 8 year old boys playing..a good coach can tell you who has the most potential. If two players are equally talented the harder worker will be more succesfull and vise versa.

But since we dont know how hard a player has worked we cant determine how talented someone is. We just dont have enough information too make that decision. For all we know Massu worked very little as a junior but has immense talent so he managed to do as well as he did.

Id like to add a third factor..luck. Hass may be everything ( or not) but he certainly has not had much luck.

Sapeod
07-29-2009, 12:40 AM

I'm not his girlfriend, Glennmug :wavey: I'm a friend. You know what that is? Do you? You probably don't because you don't have any :p Anyway the ironic thing about you is you say people talk shit when they don't have an arguement but that's what you do :haha: In fact you talk shit even if there isn't an arguement :haha:

ORGASMATRON
07-29-2009, 12:41 AM

Talk to my hand.

His post made perfect sense and it hurt you badly.

Exactly.

No one here needs rescuing cept you.

GlennMirnyi
07-29-2009, 12:41 AM
I'm not his girlfriend, Glennmug :wavey: I'm a friend. You know what that is? Do you? You probably don't because you don't have any :p Anyway the ironic thing about you is you say people talk shit when they don't have an arguement but that's what you do :haha: In fact you talk shit even if there isn't an arguement :haha:

Definitely, I don't have any friends.

I'd prefer to be friends with Charles Manson than you.

And yeah, you're his girlfriend.

mark73
07-29-2009, 12:42 AM

True hes as bad as they get. But to be honest few people make any arguments, They just have an oppinion based on nothing.

ORGASMATRON
07-29-2009, 12:44 AM
Glenmug :silly: Just another clown getting owned :zzz:

Sapeod
07-29-2009, 12:53 AM
Definitely, I don't have any friends.
I'd prefer to be friends with Charles Manson than you.
I would rather be friends with Josef Fritz than you :p
And yeah, you're his girlfriend.
:zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: :zzz: Wake me up when you have something arguably sane or interesting to say.

GugaF1
07-29-2009, 01:35 AM
Lol, every time I read something that Glenmirny writes I brace myself to hear something really nasty and stupid. And It never ceases to surprise me, how everytime someone can be so out of touch, crude, thoughtless, extremelly reptitive and most of all oblivious to outside input.

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
07-29-2009, 03:00 AM
Seriously why has NO ONE ELSE mentioned Rusedski

not only the worst top 10er in history

the worst top 5 player in existence

yes he had a serve

but that was all

without his serve and if he could only rely on his AWFUL BH he wouldn't have made top 100 in the WTA

ChinoRios4Ever
07-29-2009, 04:29 AM
You missed many untalented players dear compatriot :wavey:

But the most talentless player who make the top 10 is Nicolas Massu BY FAR!

ORGASMATRON
07-29-2009, 10:00 AM
Lol, every time I read something that Glenmirny writes I brace myself to hear something really nasty and stupid. And It never ceases to surprise me, how everytime someone can be so out of touch, crude, thoughtless, extremelly reptitive and most of all oblivious to outside input.

:lol: Mirnyi getting owned as per usual.

Wojtek
07-30-2009, 05:54 AM

nothing new

DanaKz
07-30-2009, 05:56 AM
Simon.

TheWall
07-30-2009, 05:59 AM
Why is Philippoussis in this poll?
The guy had a lot of talent, he was just inconsistent and very unlucky with injuries (Wimbledon QF 99).

abraxas21
07-30-2009, 06:02 AM
You missed many untalented players dear compatriot :wavey:

But the most talentless player who make the top 10 is Nicolas Massu BY FAR!

yeah... probably a more decent pool should have inclunded Schuttler, Simon and Rusedski (i can't believe i missed Rudsedki) but anyhow, what's done is done :)