Best Forehand of the Open Era? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Best Forehand of the Open Era?

rocketassist
07-26-2009, 06:10 PM
I know Federer is going to win this poll by about 3000000 votes, but it's worth looking at this to see which forehands the tennis lovers prefer, it might be something like Gonzo just ripping it rather than Fed's aesthetic shot.

Sapeod
07-26-2009, 06:11 PM
No poll?

I say Federer or Gonzalez.

Action Jackson
07-26-2009, 06:24 PM
There is a poll and yes Federer will win this.

MacTheKnife
07-26-2009, 06:29 PM
Gonzo. Really depends on what day you ask me, but today I'm in a Gonzo mood. (no other factors included, FH only)

ballbasher101
07-26-2009, 06:33 PM
Federer will win this at a canter. His forehand is maybe the most versatile I have ever seen.

LEGENDOFTENNIS
07-26-2009, 06:37 PM
Federer, that forehand is just so effective, closely followed by Gonzo though.

Burrow
07-26-2009, 07:31 PM
Closely followed by Gonzalez? ha

DrJules
07-26-2009, 08:03 PM
There is a poll and yes Federer will win this.

He would also win it among a poll of tennis journalists, players or commentators.

DrJules
07-26-2009, 08:05 PM
Gonzo. Really depends on what day you ask me, but today I'm in a Gonzo mood. (no other factors included, FH only)

Gonzo makes too many unforced errors to win.

Har-Tru
07-26-2009, 08:10 PM
Federer clearly.

Gonzo isn't in the top 5 even now.

ballbasher101
07-26-2009, 08:14 PM
Some people are picking Gonzo over Sampras, shocking just shocking. Gonzo has a flashy forehand but it is not nearly as effective as the Sampras forehand.

Action Jackson
07-26-2009, 08:15 PM
Berasategui on the clay was a lethal weapon, but that was the only surface it was truly effective on.

Evan1225
07-26-2009, 08:17 PM
Federer, no contest. Nadal's is up there, but Federer's all-court greatness allows him to blast forehands from anywhere around the court.

MacTheKnife
07-26-2009, 08:24 PM
Federer, no contest. Nadal's is up there, but Federer's all-court greatness allows him to blast forehands from anywhere around the court.

Exactly, and that's why most of these polls all turn out the same. It's hard to isolate and evaluate one stroke. It turns into a complete game evaluation.

Action Jackson
07-26-2009, 08:27 PM
Exactly, and that's why most of these polls all turn out the same. It's hard to isolate and evaluate one stroke. It turns into a complete game evaluation.

It's really not that hard to isolate a particular shot, but that skills seems to be lost on many people.

In this case though Federer's forehand definitely has a good show at the best forehand of the open era.

MacTheKnife
07-26-2009, 08:29 PM
It's really not that hard to isolate a particular shot, but that skills seems to be lost on many people.

In this case though Federer's forehand definitely has a good show at the best forehand of the open era.

Exactly my point. Most of these turn into a who can beat who, or who won the most slam threads, instead of simply evaluating that one stroke.
I just said Gonzo to stir some people up and see that it worked. I almost said Blake.. :haha:

Leo
07-26-2009, 08:44 PM
:lol: @ Gonzo.

Federer first, then Sampras second.

MatchFederer
07-26-2009, 08:44 PM
Roger Federer.

NYCtennisfan
07-26-2009, 09:57 PM
Berasategui on the clay was a lethal weapon, but that was the only surface it was truly effective on.

It was fun to see him when he got on a roll with winners rolling off of his racket left and right.

Gonzo might have the best inside-out FH, especially when hitting it from the doubles alley. Pete's running FH CC was amazing. Overall, though, it has to be Federer.

duong
07-26-2009, 10:09 PM
Lendl or Gonzo or Federer

Macbrother
07-27-2009, 12:18 AM
Definitely an aspect of Federer's game that is in no way overrated. He can literally do anything from any part of the court; you're going to be hard pressed to find someone with that combination of versatility, power, and consistency off any wing in the open era. The shot could also absorb and redirect pace like no other.

Sampras and probably Lendl also make up the top 5, can't decide on which other two belong there.

Dini
07-27-2009, 12:21 AM
Federer clearly.

Gonzo isn't in the top 5 even now.

Who's in your top 5? I forgot. :lol: :p

Sapeod
07-27-2009, 12:25 AM
Federer running away with the poll as expected :cool:

ChinoRios4Ever
07-27-2009, 12:53 AM
:lol: @ KGONzalez in the poll, come on guys!!!!

No vote for me, impossible to compare Borg and Laver with Federer and Nadal.

Berasategui should be in the poll too... :wavey:

lessthanjake
07-27-2009, 01:24 AM
Federer SHOULD be running away with this one IMO. He clearly has the best one.

Sampras and Lendl had great forehands as well. I think Nadal and either Courier or Gonzalez round out my top 5.

FairWeatherFan
07-27-2009, 01:28 AM
Lendl IMO with Federer a close second

Har-Tru
07-27-2009, 02:11 AM
Who's in your top 5? I forgot. :lol: :p

Never told ya. :cool: Today:

Federererer
Nadal
Lendl
Laver
Sampras

Har-Tru
07-27-2009, 02:12 AM

you almost got me there. :ras:

MacTheKnife
07-27-2009, 02:16 AM
you almost got me there. :ras:

A guy's got to have a little fun.. :D

Serenidad
07-27-2009, 02:58 AM
McEnroe or Ginepri for sure.

MacTheKnife
07-27-2009, 03:14 AM
McEnroe or Ginepri for sure.

At last, the correct answer. :cool:

Forehander
07-27-2009, 03:58 AM
Sebastien Grosjean. You won't ever find such a forehand again.

leng jai
07-27-2009, 06:32 AM
Well if Fedclown's backhand is in contention, his forehand must be the GOAT by a country mile.

HattonWBA
07-27-2009, 07:58 AM
Federer

Haelfix
07-27-2009, 07:59 AM
Federer by a long shot. Arguably the most dominant shot in tennis history.

Way up there in pace, way up there in topspin, he can hit it early, he can hit it late. He can use it defensively, he can use it offensively.

In his prime he rarely missed with it, and the accuracy and angles he produced are rivaled only by a few.

Any one aspect of his forehand, you can find someone else who did it better. Agassi takes it earlier, Gonzo hits it harder, Nadal has more topspin, Nalby has more angles, Sampras had a better runner. But no one combined them all into the same versatile and lethal package as Fed. So yea, its his by a mile.

GrosjeantheGreat
07-27-2009, 04:05 PM
Santoro.

Crazy Girl
07-27-2009, 04:57 PM
Federer.:worship::worship::worship:

The Best and the Beautiful.:worship::worship::worship:

Have you seen the perfection of the gesture, when he's preparing for that, with his feetwork.....
and the movement of his racket that ends just in the middle of his back...:eek::eek::eek:

His forehand is like a quick liquid that slip the air in two!!:worship::worship::worship:

habibko
07-27-2009, 05:08 PM
Federer.:worship::worship::worship:

Have you seen the perfection of the gesture, when he's preparing for that, with his feetwork.....
and the movement of his racket that ends just in the middle of his back...:eek::eek::eek:

His forehand is like a quick liquid that slip the air in two!!:worship::worship::worship:

:worship:

feuselino
07-27-2009, 05:15 PM
Edber... no, wait. Federer! ;)

Crazy Girl
07-27-2009, 05:23 PM
Thanks my delicious friend!

But, I had to say: a quick liquid lash....
(that cut the air in two...)

But, the word is rested in my pen...

Yes, habib....
Federer's fh is a beautiful quick liquid lash

and every time is getting me k.o.:eek::eek:

Roddickominator
07-27-2009, 05:59 PM
Federer by a long shot. Arguably the most dominant shot in tennis history.

Way up there in pace, way up there in topspin, he can hit it early, he can hit it late. He can use it defensively, he can use it offensively.

In his prime he rarely missed with it, and the accuracy and angles he produced are rivaled only by a few.

Any one aspect of his forehand, you can find someone else who did it better. Agassi takes it earlier, Gonzo hits it harder, Nadal has more topspin, Nalby has more angles, Sampras had a better runner. But no one combined them all into the same versatile and lethal package as Fed. So yea, its his by a mile.

Best post in the thread, and dead on. I'd also say that his forehand return isn't even impressive....but he doesn't really try to use it aggressively. Much like his backhand return, he just uses it to get into the rally on equal footing.

RGK
07-27-2009, 10:09 PM
Igor Andreev In Top 3 For Me.

ballbasher101
07-27-2009, 10:14 PM
Sebastien Grosjean. You won't ever find such a forehand again.

He had a good inside-out forehand but his forehand is far from being the greatest ever.

ballbasher101
07-27-2009, 10:18 PM

Andreev's forehand is effective but wow what an ugly forehand it is :devil:.

oranges
07-27-2009, 10:23 PM

Nah, ask Haas how to completely neutralize it :p

rocketassist
07-27-2009, 10:24 PM
I know it's only footage on youtube but Laver's looks a work of art.

ORGASMATRON
07-27-2009, 10:35 PM
Lol Fed is pwning this poll. I think Monfils should be up there. He can certainly hit the fh harder then anyone in history. I saw him at a future a few years back and the heat he put on the ball was just sick.

habibko
07-27-2009, 10:43 PM

if we are gonna bring up Andreev we might as well bring Soderling, Berdych and Ferrer as well, many players have great forehands, this thread is about the best.

Burrow
07-27-2009, 11:26 PM
Lol Fed is pwning this poll. I think Monfils should be up there. He can certainly hit the fh harder then anyone in history. I saw him at a future a few years back and the heat he put on the ball was just sick.

Hit a forehand harder than anybody? In like 1 per cent of his matches he might take a crack but most of the time he just rolls it.

MacTheKnife
07-27-2009, 11:29 PM
I know it's only footage on youtube but Laver's looks a work of art.

It was. Just to long ago to get much credit here.

ORGASMATRON
07-27-2009, 11:33 PM
Hit a forehand harder than anybody? In like 1 per cent of his matches he might take a crack but most of the time he just rolls it.

Well thats true, im just saying when he decides to crank it up he can hit the cover off the ball. I think his changes of pace are effective, i just wish he would do it more.

Burrow
07-27-2009, 11:47 PM
BEST forehand of all time, not most powerful. His athleticism wins him points, not his forehand.

ORGASMATRON
07-27-2009, 11:54 PM
Fair enough. Lets just say he can hit it harder then anyone ive seen then :)

Burrow
07-27-2009, 11:55 PM
:spit:

rhinooooo
07-27-2009, 11:55 PM
He hit a huge forehand once at the Aussie Open. That was it.

And you want it in a poll about the greatest forehand of all time. Not even the Top 10 or 20 currently.

MacTheKnife
07-27-2009, 11:58 PM
Actually I think Gonzo his the hardest FH consistently, but I believe that Monfils has the fastest on record. Could be wrong about that, but think I saw it somewhere..

Dini
07-27-2009, 11:59 PM
This?

Fx2NReqIqQ4&feature=related

120 mph.

rhinooooo
07-28-2009, 12:00 AM
Yep, Gael hit it at 120 mph. Huge. I remember Novak hitting one close to that this year against Tsonga in Marseille.

The point is, anyone can hit a huge one every once in a while, but no doubt Gonzo hits it the hardest consistently.

Burrow
07-28-2009, 12:01 AM
The speed of the Gonzalez forehand is overrated, it's not as powerful as it was before Stepanki began coaching him.

straitup
07-28-2009, 12:10 AM
The speed of the Gonzalez forehand is overrated, it's not as powerful as it was before Stepanki began coaching him.

It's not just the speed...he certainly hits it harder than most players, but he puts a tremendous amount of spin on it too.

Haelfix
07-28-2009, 12:17 AM
Anyone who has the racquet head speed to break a forehand mph record is automatically going to put topspin on it. The ball would sail out of the court if it was perfectly flat unless you are at the baseline or further back.

Gonzo's shots are flatter than Nadal or Federer, but still more action than an average ATP player.

ORGASMATRON
07-28-2009, 12:17 AM
This?

Fx2NReqIqQ4&feature=related

120 mph.

:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship: Thats not such a nice angle though, is there a better one?

ORGASMATRON
07-28-2009, 12:32 AM
CjFfuXMG0Rg&feature=related Here we go, much better ;) 190kph

Dini
07-28-2009, 12:35 AM
CjFfuXMG0Rg Here we go, much better ;)

Fixed, but it's the same. :confused:

ORGASMATRON
07-28-2009, 12:40 AM
Fixed, but it's the same. :confused:

No its not, watch the video.

straitup
07-28-2009, 12:41 AM
No its not, watch the video.

The commentary is different, and in one video the court looks skinnier. But they're the same angle

Burrow
07-28-2009, 12:44 AM
are you an idiot? it's not the same

MacTheKnife
07-28-2009, 12:49 AM
The commentary is different, and in one video the court looks skinnier. But they're the same angle

I think he means the camera angle is better. It was hard to see the shot on that first video, the last one also shows it from the "other" side of the court too.

straitup
07-28-2009, 12:51 AM
I think he means the camera angle is better. It was hard to see the shot on that first video, the last one also shows it from the "other" side of the court.

:lol: Alright

ORGASMATRON
07-28-2009, 12:55 AM
Heres what Fed does to the Rafa fh...

ZgtbqJ44DL4&NR=1

Dini
07-28-2009, 12:56 AM
are you an idiot? it's not the same

I meant the same shot. Orgasmatron was on about wanting to see a different angle and then comes back with a vid of the same shot just different commentary and quality.

Unless you were referring to him. :p

straitup
07-28-2009, 12:58 AM

ZgtbqJ44DL4&NR=1

That Rafa FH landed on the service line

ORGASMATRON
07-28-2009, 12:58 AM
I meant the same shot. Orgasmatron was on about wanting to see a different angle and then comes back with a vid of the same one just different commentary and quality.

:wavey:

:haha: You still dont get it.

ORGASMATRON
07-28-2009, 01:00 AM
That Rafa FH landed on the service line

That Federer bh landed on the sideline.

straitup
07-28-2009, 01:06 AM
That Federer bh landed on the sideline.

So what's the point of including the video in the best forehand thread? It was a poor forehand approach, and he got punished for it.

Dini
07-28-2009, 01:09 AM
So what's the point of including the video in the best forehand thread? It was a poor forehand approach, and he got punished for it.

Exactly. :scratch:

ORGASMATRON
07-28-2009, 01:10 AM

Nope.

straitup
07-28-2009, 01:13 AM
Nope.

It landed on the damn service line...yes he hits with a lot of spin and it's a good strategy to approach to the Federer backhand, but this is a fast indoor HC instead of clay.

ORGASMATRON
07-28-2009, 01:18 AM
It landed on the damn service line...yes he hits with a lot of spin and it's a good strategy to approach to the Federer backhand, but this is a fast indoor HC instead of clay.

Fact is it took an incredible passing shot from Fed to win the point so it was deinitely not bad.

straitup
07-28-2009, 04:49 AM
Fact is it took an incredible passing shot from Fed to win the point so it was deinitely not bad.

I would hardly call that an incredible passing shot...it was definitely great, but that was one of the weakest forehand approaches I have seen him hit.

I just think that if you were trying to prove something about how good Nadal's FH is with that video, then you need a better video. And if you weren't, then you surely must either be saying that Nadal's FH isn't that good (in which there are better videos to prove that isn't the case) or that Federer's BH is great (and this is the FH thread). Not trying to be picky, I just don't find that shot a good example of what Nadal is capable of with the FH.

Back to the thread, Federer's is definitely the most versatile I've seen...Sampras still has the best running forehand. Gonzalez and Nadal have some of the heaviest forehands I've seen, Gonzalez because of the motion and racquet head speed, and Nadal because of the grip.

Har-Tru
07-28-2009, 01:17 PM

ZgtbqJ44DL4&NR=1

what the fuck are you trying to prove with that video?

bokehlicious
07-28-2009, 01:33 PM
Well if Fedclown's backhand is in contention, his forehand must be the GOAT by a country mile.

Something tells me deep down inside you believe Hassi's forehand is up there with Fed's... :o :angel: :lol: :haha:

duong
07-28-2009, 01:40 PM
Anyone who has the racquet head speed to break a forehand mph record is automatically going to put topspin on it. The ball would sail out of the court if it was perfectly flat unless you are at the baseline or further back.

Gonzo's shots are flatter than Nadal or Federer, but still more action than an average ATP player.

Gonzo can also spin it more, he does it less often but he's not so bad at that.

As for Sampras, from what you say, he had to spin it as well, did he ?

And did he hit very spinned forehands sometimes ?

duong
07-28-2009, 01:48 PM
Actually I think Gonzo his the hardest FH consistently, but I believe that Monfils has the fastest on record. Could be wrong about that, but think I saw it somewhere..

Yes, also Söderling can hit faster forehands than Gonzalez,
but with consistency yes Gonzo is far better than these.

I'm amazed by the confidence he has in this shot and how he can play it very hard from multiple positions.

And with not so many mistakes on that shot, imo.

Haelfix
07-28-2009, 01:51 PM
Sampras actually hit the ball with a lot of topspin. I think I remember seeing a statistic once about the rpm that the top pros hit on their forehands in the 90s. Bruguera and Muster had the most, but Sampras was in like 5th or 6th position, with surprisingly (at least to me) Agassi well behind.

There can be a bit of an optical illusion based on the trajectory that people hit sometimes. Just b/c you moonball a shot doesn't mean it has more or less topspin necessarily.

But yea, Sampras is still a flatter shot, relatively speaking, than what we see from the pros nowdays. Part of that is racquet tech, the rest is gamestyle changes (the follow through in particular) and the control aspect of modern tennis.

leng jai
07-28-2009, 01:59 PM
Something tells me deep down inside you believe Hassi's forehand is up there with Fed's... :o :angel: :lol: :haha:

How does an ass smacked by Mirka taste like mate?

bokehlicious
07-28-2009, 02:05 PM
How does an ass smacked by Mirka taste like mate?

:drool: way better than if it were smacked by Hassi's :shrug: :hug:

ORGASMATRON
07-28-2009, 02:42 PM
what the fuck are you trying to prove with that video?

That Nadulls fh is overrated and that Rogers bh is underrated.

Oh and lets not forget that you are a whiny little girl.

Roddickominator
07-28-2009, 02:56 PM
I can't believe you guys still buy the "Monfils hit a 120 mph forehand!" drivel. The vast majority of pros have trouble getting above 100-102 mph. I remember Nadal hit one like 106. To say that Monfils cranked one up 14 mph faster(which is a HUGE difference), is ridiculous. The radar gun read the serve, not Monfils' forehand.

opeth84
07-28-2009, 02:57 PM

That didn't prove either of them. Nadal played an extremely poor approach that landed on the service line and Roger made the pass. Ive seen Roger hit much better passes on his backhand when he's actually under some pressure.

ORGASMATRON
07-28-2009, 03:31 PM
I can't believe you guys still buy the "Monfils hit a 120 mph forehand!" drivel. The vast majority of pros have trouble getting above 100-102 mph. I remember Nadal hit one like 106. To say that Monfils cranked one up 14 mph faster(which is a HUGE difference), is ridiculous. The radar gun read the serve, not Monfils' forehand.

Actually it was 190kph. If a serve can be hit at 250 then a fh can be hit at 190 easily.

That didn't prove either of them. Nadal played an extremely poor approach that landed on the service line and Roger made the pass. Ive seen Roger hit much better passes on his backhand when he's actually under some pressure.

Ok whatever :lol:

Roddickominator
07-28-2009, 03:51 PM
Actually it was 190kph. If a serve can be hit at 250 then a fh can be hit at 190 easily.

Not by a human. They're completely different shots. It's like saying just because you can hit a serve that fast...that you could hit a between the legs shot the same speed. Different angles of motion allow different speeds....serves obviously allow more than other shots due to the angle toward the court and the added power from lift from the legs and the over the shoulder arm rotation.

If lots of players were hitting 115 mph forehands, then it wouldn't be so out of the question that Monfils could hit 120. Seeing as how NOBODY else hits even close to that, it's safe to say that it was just a radar/dumb human error.

straitup
07-28-2009, 04:42 PM

Like match point for Nadal last year in the Wimbledon final.

That Monfils forehand is really fast, but I would agree that it can't be 120 mph...I think that camera angle plus the fact that he looped 2 forehands before might give the illusion that the forehand was that hard.

Burrow
07-28-2009, 04:43 PM
I've seen forehands that look as if they have been hit harder than that.

Burrow
07-28-2009, 04:45 PM
I meant the same shot. Orgasmatron was on about wanting to see a different angle and then comes back with a vid of the same shot just different commentary and quality.

Unless you were referring to him. :p

Sorry, but on my screen, it is a different video, it has 2 angles whereas the original had 1.

stebs
07-28-2009, 04:55 PM
Sorry, but on my screen, it is a different video, it has 2 angles whereas the original had 1.

You're right. The people who didn't realise obviously just watched the first view of the second vid, realised it was the same and didn't bother watching the rest which showed a different angle.

Burrow
07-28-2009, 05:00 PM
:lol: That's what I was thinking.

straitup
07-28-2009, 05:08 PM
You're right. The people who didn't realise obviously just watched the first view of the second vid, realised it was the same and didn't bother watching the rest which showed a different angle.

:lol: I did that sadly...

Har-Tru
07-28-2009, 05:54 PM

Actually I'm a fat unemployed middle-aged woman.

That Nadal forehand was terrible. My pet parrot would make a winner out of it.

Dini
07-28-2009, 06:03 PM
I thought orgasmatron was on about wanting to see a forehand with a different angle and not the same forehand with a different camera angle. That's where the confusion came in. It happens.

ORGASMATRON
07-28-2009, 08:41 PM
Actually I'm a fat unemployed middle-aged woman.

That Nadal forehand was terrible. My pet parrot would make a winner out of it.

NID

I thought orgasmatron was on about wanting to see a forehand with a different angle and not the same forehand with a different camera angle. That's where the confusion came in. It happens.

Youre still not making any sense :lol:

Har-Tru
07-28-2009, 08:57 PM

damnit, there's no more space in my sig...

ORGASMATRON
07-28-2009, 10:06 PM
damnit, there's no more space in my sig...

You just keep going to new lows with every post of yours i see. One of these days youll find yourself in hell.

Burrow
07-28-2009, 10:13 PM
NID

yes, he is.

ORGASMATRON
07-28-2009, 10:18 PM
yes, he is.

You would think that.

Burrow
07-28-2009, 10:21 PM
Anybody would, with half a brain. Why do you think they don't make sense?

They thought you meant seeing a different, physically struck forehand. Not the one he hit in Australia at that very moment.

What doesn't make sense?

Fiberlight1
07-28-2009, 10:24 PM

They thought you meant seeing a different, physically struck forehand. Not the one he hit in Australia at that very moment.

What doesn't make sense?

It doesn't make sense to him because it's practical.

ORGASMATRON
07-28-2009, 10:31 PM

What doesn't make sense?

You :haha:

Burrow
07-28-2009, 10:33 PM
Refusing to tell me what error she made in her post, hmmm, seems like you've been owned yet again.

How many Slams will Fed... 07-26-2009 10:28 PM ORGASMATRON just loving the way u own the tards, keep it up

Just like the other thread, just following your orders.

ORGASMATRON
07-28-2009, 10:38 PM
Refusing to tell me what error she made in her post, hmmm, seems like you've been owned yet again.

How many Slams will Fed... 07-26-2009 10:28 PM ORGASMATRON just loving the way u own the tards, keep it up

Just like the other thread, just following your orders.

:lol:

alfonsojose
07-29-2009, 03:29 AM
Moya's on clay was :drool:

Crazy Girl
08-05-2009, 10:36 PM
I mean, something like this!:devil::devil:

http://img170.imageshack.us/img170/1091/90jz4.pngFederer.:worship::worship::worship:

His forehand is like a quick liquid that slip the air in two!!:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

carlos pera
08-05-2009, 10:37 PM
Ferreroo

ORGASMATRON
08-05-2009, 10:39 PM
Frauderer pwning this thread.

Forehander
08-06-2009, 02:18 AM
So does Gael Monfils have the best forehand because he can crank it up to 190km/h?

straitup
08-06-2009, 04:24 AM
Moya's on clay was :drool:

So effective :worship: I always thought that his forehand was just a bit ordinary, just because it didn't look explosive to me...and then I actually watched a whole match of his and realized how consistent he hit it, with depth and spin.

Of course that backhand was a bit ugly :eek: