North American tournaments where no one wants to play... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

North American tournaments where no one wants to play...

wifey99999999
07-26-2009, 06:37 AM
LA and Indy.... !

Agree? The fields for both tournaments have been horrible in recent years. No top player wants any piece of either tournaments.

Also, ATP should swap the dates between Indy and LA. Starting from LA, and then moving East, ... this way, players and ATP can save traveling costs.

JMG
07-26-2009, 08:53 AM
Good European players would have to stay in America for 6+ weeks if they played Indy, La and all this. I doubt a lot of players like this idea.

Andre♥
07-26-2009, 09:26 AM
Basically the same thing for Americans not playing Monte Carlo. Nobody wants to be 7/8 weeks thousands of km's from home.

batavlada
07-26-2009, 10:56 AM
North America tour again. Association: Isner, Amer Delic, Ginepri and rest of ex university pricks.

mr_burns
07-26-2009, 10:57 AM
I doubt that the distance is the problem...most of the top players don't play any other tournament before the masters series events ( simon and Verdasco were the only one I think)..

Maybe players really need the rest, then there are clay court tournaments in europe with more price money like last week in Hamburg

In my opinion the summer clay season should be banned, maybe one week more in june would be fine, which means the two slams have to move a week...then the hard court season isn't effected that much

out_here_grindin
07-26-2009, 12:52 PM
I would think that playing in Indy or LA would be more benefiting for the masters and the US Open than playing in Gstaad or Umag. But I guess they don't want to be away from home for that long.

timafi
07-26-2009, 01:25 PM
Europeans unlike Americans don't need a lifetime to get adjusted to the hard courts like Americans and the clay courts.Takes 'em just a few days to adjust to the heat,footwork and off the go;that's the bottom line:shrug:

Ozone
07-26-2009, 01:30 PM
LA and Indy.... !

Agree? The fields for both tournaments have been horrible in recent years. No top player wants any piece of either tournaments.

Also, ATP should swap the dates between Indy and LA. Starting from LA, and then moving East, ... this way, players and ATP can save traveling costs.
Oh and Umag and Gstaad are better?

The reason why none of the big stars play these is so they don't get fatigued from playing Washington, Montreal and Cincinnati! SO LA and Indy make the big guys want to play more in the other USO Series tournaments.

Ozone
07-26-2009, 01:34 PM
Europeans unlike Americans don't need a lifetime to get adjusted to the hard courts like Americans and the clay courts.Takes 'em just a few days to adjust to the heat,footwork and off the go;that's the bottom line:shrug:
Hard courts are very simple to get used to and in Europe there are tons of hard courts anyways. Americans rarely see red clay in the juniors. Also, if Americans did play on clay all the time instead of hard, it would be just as easy for them to get used to hard. Nature of the courts

Everko
07-26-2009, 04:01 PM
Hard courts are very simple to get used to and in Europe there are tons of hard courts anyways. Americans rarely see red clay in the juniors. Also, if Americans did play on clay all the time instead of hard, it would be just as easy for them to get used to hard. Nature of the courts

weak excuse

MacTheKnife
07-26-2009, 04:33 PM
Two slams within 30 days and the top guys just rest up AND train. Everybody else plays as close to home as they can get.

NYCtennisfan
07-26-2009, 04:36 PM
Even though they're a little down this year, the fields in LA and Indy have been pretty good recently considering they're both played before the two TMS/ATP 1000 events.

DrJules
07-26-2009, 07:41 PM
This is the down side of the master series impact.

Effectively the top players play the grand slams and master series so the other tournaments have week draws as top players can physically only handle a limited number of events a year.

TMJordan
07-26-2009, 07:42 PM
Did you just call Tommy Haas a no one?

Sapeod
07-26-2009, 08:39 PM
weak excuse
weak reply.

Capriati Rules
07-27-2009, 12:32 AM
North America tour again. Association: Isner, Amer Delic, Ginepri and rest of ex university pricks.

Ginepri didn't got to college...and since when is it a bad thing for guys or girls to go to college and get an education as a back up plan in case they don't make it? Looks like you're the only idiot based on this post...

Regardless, next week LA has a higher cutoff than the other two cut offs and just as many top 40 players, not too mention three major names in Haas, Safin, and Baghdatis.

Everyone bashes the Americans for not coming over for the clay season right away. The euros do the same thing post Wimbledon...and in past years post French sticking to the clay. Personally I don't care let them do what they feel most comfortable. If they feel that's their best prep, or don't care about preparing for the Open that's on them.

wifey99999999
07-27-2009, 01:59 AM
Even though they're a little down this year, the fields in LA and Indy have been pretty good recently considering they're both played before the two TMS/ATP 1000 events.

Ok, then please explain to me why Washington usually has much better draw than LA and Indy....

Take Washington's entry list, and compare to LA and Indy's draw sheet, you would think LA and Indy Tournaments are at Challenger's level.

~*BGT*~
07-27-2009, 02:08 AM
Ok, then please explain to me why Washington usually has much better draw than LA and Indy....

Take Washington's entry list, and compare to LA and Indy's draw sheet, you would think LA and Indy Tournaments are at Challenger's level.

Washington is a 500 and has a larger field. It's SUPPOSED to have a better entry list. :lol:

dam0dred
07-27-2009, 02:20 AM
You know what, there is more to tennis than watching the top 5 play. Instead of whining about how there were no big names playing at Indy or Gstaad, maybe you could have actually watched some it and you would have seen some great tennis being played.

Federer and Nadal can't play every week. If you only follow tennis for the celebrity factor, then just check in 4 times a year at the slams. Meanwhile, the rest of us real tennis fans will enjoy watching Haas, Safin, Baghdatis and other so called 'nobodys' play in LA.

niezubayern1
07-27-2009, 03:21 AM
I agree dam0dred. I was at the Indy tourney all week and loved it. Can't tell you how nice it was to see guys from Querrey and Tursunov to Edwardo Schwank, Marcos Daniel, Rajeev Ram and Frank Dancevic. All of these guys put out a great effort and that made it fun to watch. If you don't enjoy watching those players, then don't, but you'll be missing out.

wifey99999999
07-27-2009, 03:27 AM
Washington is a 500 and has a larger field. It's SUPPOSED to have a better entry list. :lol:

Legg Mason used to be as same status as LA. But Legg Mason is now higher status than LA... Why?

Let me guess, hmm... because big names don't want to come to LA, but they want to go to Washington DC?

MacTheKnife
07-27-2009, 03:29 AM
I agree too guys. If tennis is being played, I'm watching it. I love seeing all the guys play, top to bottom.

wifey99999999
07-27-2009, 03:30 AM
I agree dam0dred. I was at the Indy tourney all week and loved it. Can't tell you how nice it was to see guys from Querrey and Tursunov to Edwardo Schwank, Marcos Daniel, Rajeev Ram and Frank Dancevic. All of these guys put out a great effort and that made it fun to watch. If you don't enjoy watching those players, then don't, but you'll be missing out.

I will still watch the tournament. Don't get me wrong. But LA used to draw big names like Sampras / Agassi / Chang every year.

But now this tournament is like left-over tournament.

wifey99999999
07-27-2009, 03:33 AM
I would think that playing in Indy or LA would be more benefiting for the masters and the US Open than playing in Gstaad or Umag. But I guess they don't want to be away from home for that long.

I can understand why Europeans don't want to come to USA too early because of the traveling issues.

But LA / Indy tournaments, you don't see any AMERICAN top players in the field. Americans don't have to travel too far to play in America?

Ok, Roddick is injured. But Blake could get some W in these 2 tournaments to help him get out of slump.

Chip_s_m
07-27-2009, 04:02 AM
So is your question really just why Blake isn't playing Indy or LA?

Well Indy didn't pay him a high enough appearance fee. He wanted one as large as Roddick's, which is expecting a lot in my opinion. Probably similar reasons for skipping LA. He probably was looking to get his mind off tennis since he isn't doing well and only would have budged if the appearance fee was to his liking.

niezubayern1
07-27-2009, 04:20 AM
Basically, the ATP decided which tournament they wanted to succeed. They moved Indy and LA to spots on the calender that are almost impossible to attract big names to and they made DC a 500 level event leading into the masters series events. I would like to see the ATP rotate Indy, LA, and DC each year to give each a chance to have the 500 spot leading into the Canadian masters.

njnetswill
07-27-2009, 04:24 AM
You can't expect players like Roddick to play Indianapolis, LA, Washington, Cincy, and New Haven just because the tournaments are in America. That would be the worst scheduling ever. Roddick stays away for the same reason why the other top players do, to play the big tournaments that count the most.

njnetswill
07-27-2009, 04:32 AM
weak excuse

I'ts not an excuse. It's the exact reason why Europeans play well on hardcourts and Americans suck on clay.

Lee
07-27-2009, 04:49 AM
I will still watch the tournament. Don't get me wrong. But LA used to draw big names like Sampras / Agassi / Chang every year.

But now this tournament is like left-over tournament.

May be because during the Sampras/Agassi/Chang era, they didn't have to play all the 1000 events and certain numbers of the 500 events? :shrug:

whattheheck
07-27-2009, 05:00 AM
It's just scheduling. Most top players also don't want to stay in the States for too long.

~*BGT*~
07-27-2009, 05:29 AM
Legg Mason used to be as same status as LA. But Legg Mason is now higher status than LA... Why?

Let me guess, hmm... because big names don't want to come to LA, but they want to go to Washington DC?

Do you buy tickets to LA every year? ;)

I can understand why Europeans don't want to come to USA too early because of the traveling issues.

But LA / Indy tournaments, you don't see any AMERICAN top players in the field. Americans don't have to travel too far to play in America?

Ok, Roddick is injured. But Blake could get some W in these 2 tournaments to help him get out of slump.

Ummm... Blake's not in a slump. It's called, "the last years of his career." :lol: :p

wifey99999999
07-27-2009, 09:26 AM
Do you buy tickets to LA every year? ;)

Ummm... Blake's not in a slump. It's called, "the last years of his career." :lol: :p

Yea. I go there every year.

fast_clay
07-27-2009, 09:46 AM
both swings are valid... and valuable stepping stone to bigger things... the older tournaments still pull through the years without the need for the very top players, cos, they old... nothing changes... there should be few complaints about the draws for these tournaments....

always been this way...

except for when nadal plays stuttgart... then look what happened...

f*** sake, give someone else a go...

atp still trying to put the players in nappies... punishing them for not attending and various other lines of BS... when, we all know what runs the game... hahahah... bullsh!t... a good tour just lets anyone rock in and out and if someone wants a ranking - then, they play... simple...

this way, they get a better chance of celebrating more than a couple of champions etc etc...

out_here_grindin
07-27-2009, 01:18 PM
Basically, the ATP decided which tournament they wanted to succeed. They moved Indy and LA to spots on the calender that are almost impossible to attract big names to and they made DC a 500 level event leading into the masters series events. I would like to see the ATP rotate Indy, LA, and DC each year to give each a chance to have the 500 spot leading into the Canadian masters.

That's a good idea.

~*BGT*~
07-27-2009, 04:21 PM
Yea. I go there every year.

Now I know why you started this thread. :)

MacTheKnife
07-27-2009, 04:58 PM

That is a very good idea. They will never really fix this down time for the top players. It's like a mid year rest and they use it to relax mind and body, heal any nagging injuries, and train. And the guys that do play, play as close to home as possible. Can't blame them for that.
Two slams within 30 days is the real root of the issue and we know that won't change. Three slams loaded into the front half of the year makes it tough.

HattonWBA
07-27-2009, 05:20 PM
Mainly Indy but LA is not all that strong

Arkulari
07-27-2009, 06:48 PM
those tournaments show how weak American tennis is right now, all college boys who do nothing in the pro circuit and play gazillion MM tournaments at home to keep on the rankings :shrug:

Corey Feldman
07-27-2009, 07:22 PM
absolutely terrible for both those events, the big players dont support these tournaments like they did 10 years ago.. thats for sure

then again.. they need rest, but where are Del Potro and Gonzalez lately?

Smoke944
07-27-2009, 07:29 PM
those tournaments show how weak American tennis is right now, all college boys who do nothing in the pro circuit and play gazillion MM tournaments at home to keep on the rankings :shrug:

:lol:
Go looks at the draws, these "college boys" have for the most part not even been getting past the first round. How does that help their ranking exactly?

Albop
07-27-2009, 07:34 PM
absolutely terrible for both those events, the big players dont support these tournaments like they did 10 years ago.. thats for sure

Gonzo is kind of injured, but the truth is that he will play very few tournaments this year.

jcreback
07-27-2009, 07:41 PM
I think it is much ado about nothing. If the best American players play, then great, but I got free tickets to the DC Final last year, and had no problem going out and watching Del Potro and Troicki play. It was a decent match, pretty good atmosphere and the players played hard.

Give me a field with the Ginepris and Isners of the world playing hard over a higher ranked player like Kohlschreiber who essentially tanks a first round match.

jcempire
07-27-2009, 08:33 PM
because less money and less Ranking Point to make, Compare where in Euro

Chip_s_m
07-27-2009, 11:27 PM
I don't really see what the big deal is. There are weak tournaments throughout the season, and they appear in each "region". It's just part of the tour. Obviously some players are going to benefit from being able to rack up some easier ranking points. However, these tournaments are open to every player, so it's not like those are points only available to Americans. It just so happens that the draw is full of Americans because it's in the US and there are a decent number of Americans in or near the top 100, and they all happen to like playing on hard.

To be honest, though, I think you guys are giving LA and Indy a hard time. With the exception of Hamburg, which obviously benefits from being an ATP 500, none of the draws recently have been particularly strong. Are the draws at Gstaad or Umag really significantly better than LA? LA happens to have more top 30 players than any of the three. The lower seeds are ranked a little lower, but the cutoff is strongest at LA, although I acknowledge that this could be due to a 28-man draw. There are only 3 top 20 players in action this week (Wawrinka, Haas, and Davydenko) and each is at a different tournament. If Gonzalez hadn't bailed out then LA, based on rankings, probably would be the strongest tournament this week (right now I think it's a toss-up). Indy vs. Hamburg really isn't a fair comparison because Hamburg is a 500.

I just don't think that similar tournaments during this time period are significantly stronger, based on rankings, to call out Indy and LA as being weak links with easy ranking points up for grabs. Their weakness compared to previous years, in particular 5+ years ago, is obviously indicative of a decline in American tennis and it's certainly a valid point to bring up (although it's not news). If you go by rankings, however, their "weakness" compared to similar tournaments going on right now is minimal, if it even exists.

Chip_s_m
07-27-2009, 11:49 PM
Another point, I don't understand all the bashing of former college players (not all of whom are American btw) who are playing in Indy and LA and how that makes these tournaments jokes. Look at some of the lower-ranked players in Umag and Gstaad. Navarro, Cipolla, Hernych, Daniel, Minar, Capdeville, Gimeno-Traver, Dabul, Gruel, Maximo Gonzalez, Roitman, and Koellerer all got direct entry. Most of these guys haven't done anything significant with their careers. Can anyone really make a logical argument that these guys are really any less muggish than guys like Levine, Reynolds, Isner, Kendrick, Devvarman or some other low-ranked players in the LA draw such as Spadea, Istomin, Gicquel, or Leonardo Mayer? I'm admittedly bias, but I'd take the "mugs" in LA over a lot of the "mugs" playing in Europe right now.

As I said above, it's a valid question to ask why Indy and LA aren't as strong as they once were, but the fields this year really aren't that different from Gstaad or Umag. The bottom line is that most of the top players aren't playing at all this week, and had Hamburg not been a 500, might not have played last week either.

wifey99999999
07-28-2009, 10:02 AM

Why would Del Potro not even want to defend his title and points at LA????

.... goes to show how bad this tournament in LA has become.

oranges
07-28-2009, 10:30 AM
Why would Del Potro not even want to defend his title and points at LA????

.... goes to show how bad this tournament in LA has become.

Perhaps he would if they didn't come up with the grand 250/500 division. As it is, it is pretty much useless for him, as well as for a lot of guys from top 30. Practically everyone plays one of the grass ones, if they have a good result there and on one leading to AO, not much point playing 250 ones later on.

Corswandt
07-28-2009, 02:26 PM

:lol: