How many Slams will Fed win as a father? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

How many Slams will Fed win as a father?

L James
07-25-2009, 08:32 AM
It's often quoted how few fathers have been able to win Slams, this is the case probably due to a combination of reasons.

Here is the list since 1980:

(Reuters) - The following is a list of men who have won grand slam singles titles since 1980 after becoming fathers:

Player Majors won after becoming a father

Jimmy Connors (U.S.) Wimbledon (1982), U.S. Open (1982, 1983)

Pat Cash (Australia) Wimbledon (1987)

Andres Gomez (Ecuador) French Open (1990)

Boris Becker (Germany) Australian Open 1996

Petr Korda (Czech) Australian Open 1998

Yevgeny Kafelnikov (Russia) Australian Open 1999

Albert Costa (Spain) French Open 2002

Andre Agassi (U.S.) Australian Open 2003

Can Fed join the list? How many will he win?

L James
07-25-2009, 08:37 AM
Article about the topic prior to the birth of the twins:

If Roger Federer thinks becoming a father will have little impact on his goal of equalling and then breaking Pete Sampras's record of 14 grand slam titles he might be in for a rude awakening.

Federer excitedly announced his news last month, declaring: "It's not going to really disturb my mindset on tennis a whole lot", but any parent who has had to deal with sleepless nights may think the Swiss is deluding himself.

While Federer and his girlfriend Mirka Vavrinec eagerly await the arrival of their first child, his fellow professional Ivan Ljubicic had a word of warning.

"I'm sure it's going to be a shock for him. There's no question about that," said the Croatian, who is still trying to come to grips with the demands of his five-month-old son.

"It's just that your life changes completely. Priorities are different. You're not the one in the family who's the most important. You kind of lose your wife for a while."

In case Federer thinks grand slam champions like him can easily buck the trend, he would do well to flick through the record books.

The last time a mother won a singles grand slam crown was in 1980 when Australian Evonne Goolagong triumphed at Wimbledon. Since then, only eight men have captured a major after embracing the joys of fatherhood.

While four - Pat Cash, Andres Gomez, Petr Korda and Albert Costa - were one-slam wonders, multiple champions Boris Becker, Yevgeny Kafelnikov and Andre Agassi managed to add just one further slam to their haul after becoming parents.

Title drought

Jimmy Connors was the only singles player to successfully combine family life with playing on the tour in that time, winning three of his eight majors after the birth of his son Brett in August 1979.

For the likes of John McEnroe, Ivan Lendl and Stefan Edberg, the titles dried up as soon as they gingerly cradled the new additions to their families.

Tennis fathers have won only 10 of the last 115 grand slam titles.

"(Fatherhood) changes (your) life dramatically," explained Becker, who won the 1996 Australian Open after the birth of his first son Noah.

"It would be more difficult to focus on one thing alone because your main focus is for your child and your wife, and tennis becomes secondary. That's a fact."

If the tennis annals are to be believed, the arrival of Federer junior could end the world number two's chances of adding to his collection of 13 grand slam titles.

The Swiss has remained cagey about exactly when his baby is due, with his only comment being: "The baby is due in summer. I'm not going to say any more."

His reluctance to be more specific has sparked theories that the arrival of baby Federer could coincide with any of the three remaining majors - the French Open in May, Wimbledon in June or the US Open, where he is the defending champion, in August.

Extra motivation

While Federer is ready to embrace the next stage of his life, it is hard to imagine the 27-year-old swapping his racket for regular nappy-changing duties.

"I always had the dream that once I became number one in the world that if I have a child I hope I have it early enough so he can see me playing," said Federer. "So this is very exciting."

Apart from the Sampras record, Federer still yearns to get his hands on an elusive title at the French Open, where his great rival Rafael Nadal has ruled since 2005.

Already struggling to find a way to beat players such as world number one Nadal and Andy Murray - against whom he has 6-13 and 2-6 losing records respectively - the prospect of turning up bleary eyed for a major final could cost him dearly.

With his record of achievement and his strong mental outlook, Federer could perhaps succeed where many of his predecessors failed.

"Roger always handles the pressure and I'm sure he's going to do the same with this," said Ljubicic.

"He enjoys this sport so much that he doesn't really need to be focused 24 hours a day to play well."

Federer, who has already committed himself to play on until at least the 2012 London Olympics, added: "If it does something to me, I think it's going to motivate me to play for a long time."

HKz
07-25-2009, 09:52 AM
Honestly, with Mirka, his parents, other family members, and a lot of money, I don't think his kids will be a HUGE hassle for him the first few years. Because I know for a fact that it is quite a simple, but taxing, routine early on with just changing diapers, washing the baby, and tucking him into sleep until their brain develops to realize that they can actually grow up and become a tennis player. So for the first 1-3 years, it won't be that bad. Theoretically, I think he still has around 3-5 very solid Grand Slams ahead of him, as in like a routine 7 wins. After that, he could probably pull off a few barely out of his ass, but I wouldn't count on it. I gave my vote as 4.

HattonWBA
07-25-2009, 12:34 PM
Cant really see it affecting him at all in regards to slams although the tournements he plays other than slams and masters series events will be even more limited than it is now. Maybe he will win three or four more.

Rafa = Fed Killa
07-25-2009, 04:37 PM
***Fedtard Insane Mode On***
over 9!!!

***Sane Mode On***
1 lucky one if he faces a weakling like Soderling in a GS final

Corey Feldman
07-25-2009, 04:37 PM
Darth Fed will start kicking Nadal's ass again

"i am your father, Rafael"

+5 i'd say

Fiberlight1
07-25-2009, 04:46 PM
The answer your looking for is 1.

Sunset of Age
07-25-2009, 04:48 PM
Article about the topic prior to the birth of the twins:

Funny, that article was obviously written before RG, as it speaks of Fed's becoming a father having a negative impact on his goal to break Sampy's record... :p

As for it having any influence on his further career, many seem to have forgotten that Feds has become a dad on a rather young age, quite incomparable to a lot of the names mentioned in that list.

I see no reason why he wouldn't be able rack up some more biggies, and if he doesn't, that would rather be due to a 'natural decline' of his game (which I think has been going on for a while already btw) than to him becoming a dad.

Arkulari
07-25-2009, 05:13 PM
Karin, I can't goodrep you again, but you make too much sense for GM :worship: :yeah:

Burrow
07-25-2009, 05:21 PM
over 9!!!

***Sane Mode On***

that weakling put out rafael nadal :spit:

BigJohn
07-25-2009, 05:45 PM
***Sane Mode On***

Very, very sane. I wish for 2 a year until 2012 London Games.

But to think of it... if you lose to Soderling, you would be weaker than a weakling.

And if you pull out of a GS even if allegedly the docs cleared you to play, then that would have to be weaker than the Djokovic of a few months ago at his peak... He at least began to try to defend.

FedEXpress91
07-25-2009, 06:21 PM
Very, very sane. I wish for 2 a year until 2012 London Games.

But to think of it... if you lose to Soderling, you would be weaker than a weakling.

And if you pull out of a GS even if allegedly the docs cleared you to play, then that would have to be weaker than the Djokovic of a few months ago at his peak... He at least began to try to defend.

haha u just owned that fool

MatchFederer
07-25-2009, 06:33 PM
Federer will probably win about 14 more slams to end with 29.

:lol:

No. Maybe 3 - 7 more.. but it could just as easily be no more. It isn't like he is old yet so he should be able to maintain a very high standard of tennis for 2 or 3 more years and this would probably be good enough for a few more majors.

To make a statement now then, i'll predict that he ends up with 19.

Everko
07-25-2009, 07:18 PM
0 - if the world gets lucky

Agassi'sMullet
07-25-2009, 07:30 PM
Depends on who he's facing in the finals. If it's Nadal then 0.

I voted 9+, seems like a few people did as well, lol

doublebackhand
07-25-2009, 07:42 PM
the new babies may be distracting his focus especially now that his goals of winning the French and breaking Sampras' record have been accomplished. the desire to win may just not be as strong any more. if thats the case, i see him winning 1 or maybe 2 more only.

of course that is only pure speculation. we will find out after the USO.

ballbasher101
07-25-2009, 09:30 PM
I hope his kids inspire him to more major wins. Having kids does change a lot of things but I don'k think it will change Federer's love of the game so I expect him to win 3 more majors.

Andi-M
07-25-2009, 09:54 PM
Depends on Murray. :p

BigJohn
07-25-2009, 09:58 PM
Depends on Murray. :p

On Murray???

JediFed
07-25-2009, 11:08 PM
Connors is the only one comparable. Married at 26, with a kiddo at 28, and he won 3.

Can't see why he won't break Connor's record.

Sapeod
07-25-2009, 11:21 PM
Being serious = 2. I can't see him winning any more than that for some reason.

Art&Soul
07-26-2009, 05:36 AM
i hope its 5 :devil: so that make a cool 20 total

federersforehand
07-26-2009, 06:07 AM
I find it scary how many more he can possibly win, my vote was for 6:

2009 US
2010 Aus
2010 Wimble
2011 Wimble
2011 US
2012 Aus

This is also realistic :S

If i was to go mad, i'd say by the time he was 32, he would have 25 slams, but thats just the fedtard in me

L James
07-26-2009, 08:21 AM
I think 5: 3 Wimbledons and 2 others.

Diphil
07-26-2009, 12:55 PM
I think 3.

AsGoodAsNew
07-26-2009, 05:33 PM
I went for 6, though I really think 6+ as I think he could go on forseveralmore years yet. He and Mirka seem to have life sussed and I think fatherhood will spur him on not detract him. He said Mirka wants his children to see him win slams so it seems as if, unlike some wives who want thier husbands to settle down and stay at home when children come along, she really is behind him to wim more and more all the way! Plus she seems very happy to travel with im to wherever he needs to go whenever he needs to go. A couple truly wedded to the same ideals.

chenx15
07-26-2009, 05:35 PM
I say 4, one more US open, 1 Aus open, 1 Wimbledon and , if Nadal can't hold up i see federer winning one or a few more Roland Garros.

Sapeod
07-26-2009, 05:38 PM
On Murray???
Yep. With Nadal injured Murray is his biggest threat. When Nadal gets better it will depend on Nadal and Murray.

BigJohn
07-26-2009, 10:22 PM
Yep. With Nadal injured Murray is his biggest threat.

Technically yeah because next in ranking, but we are talking about Slams, right?

ORGASMATRON
07-26-2009, 10:40 PM
over 9!!!

***Sane Mode On***

That weakling who beat thhat clown Nadull on clay and then got schooled in the final by Papa Fed? I can see the hard knocks you suffered of late has left you with brain damage.

0 - if the world gets lucky

If you get lucky you mean, which is not gonna happen of course :lol:

Depends on who he's facing in the finals. If it's Nadal then 0.

I voted 9+, seems like a few people did as well, lol

Like in the Madrid final :haha: I see the clowns have taken GM over again since i wasnt here to keep the order.

Sapeod
07-26-2009, 11:48 PM
Technically yeah because next in ranking, but we are talking about Slams, right?
Yeah, and yeah...Murray

Sapeod
07-26-2009, 11:49 PM
That weakling who beat thhat clown Nadull on clay and then got schooled in the final by Papa Fed? I can see the hard knocks you suffered of late has left you with brain damage.

If you get lucky you mean, which is not gonna happen of course :lol:

Like in the Madrid final :haha: I see the clowns have taken GM over again since i wasnt here to keep the order.
Maybe we should return to our Troll/Tard busting jobs :angel:

ORGASMATRON
07-26-2009, 11:59 PM
Maybe we should return to our Troll/Tard busting jobs :angel:

Henceforth we shall be known as The Tardbusters :haha:

Sapeod
07-27-2009, 12:34 AM
Henceforth we shall be known as The Tardbusters :haha:
:yeah: But only tards that are also retards. Tards that aren't retards are fine.

BigJohn
07-27-2009, 01:23 AM
Yeah, and yeah...Murray

Radical thinking...

ORGASMATRON
07-27-2009, 01:12 PM
:yeah: But only tards that are also retards. Tards that aren't retards are fine.

All tards are retards, they just lack the re in fornt of tards, which makes them only slightly less retarded :angel:

peribsen
07-27-2009, 05:00 PM
Surely more than as a mother?

Rafa = Fed Killa
07-29-2009, 04:43 PM
that weakling put out rafael nadal :spit:

Post below applies to multiple Fedtard posts above and the scottish guys who kiss their ass.

Soderclown was legendary in beating a injured Rafael Nadal who couldnt even defend his Wimbledon crown due to injury.

Soderclown sure is a legend :rolleyes:

Fedtard idiocy at its best.

Federer can not beat Rafa in a GS final anymore (couldnt since 07) and needs his servants like Soderling to do the job for him.

Federer is not man enough simply put (just like he wasnt man enough to father a son)

BigJohn
07-29-2009, 05:29 PM
Soderclown was legendary in beating a injured Rafael Nadal who couldnt even defend his Wimbledon crown due to injury.

OK so he was injured at RG? Even Rafa did not bring that up as an excuse after the French defeat.

Soderclown sure is a legend :rolleyes:

For beating Nadal at the French? He'll be mentioned as the guy who beat Nadal but lost to Federer. Not a legend, a footnote as it stands.

Fedtard idiocy at its best.

Federer can not beat Rafa in a GS final anymore (couldnt since 07) and needs his servants like Soderling to do the job for him.

Coming from the co-#1 Rafatard...

I would not be so affirmative. The last two ones were dawn close and could have gone either way. The next ones will be interesting. New and improved extra confident GOATdaddyFed vs shaky beatable Nadaldoubtinghisknees. New factors to take into consideration...

But in order for that to happen, the two of them must make the final. Edge Federer: he is a lot better at doing that than Nadal.

Federer is not man enough simply put (just like he wasnt man enough to father a son)

This crap is slightly crappier than the usual crap you post, but more pathetic.

roberthenman
07-30-2009, 12:45 AM
0- Andy Murray will win the nexts GS

L James
08-15-2009, 12:43 AM
Did the fatherhood factor kick in today? :eek: ;)