Who have better backhand? Djokovic or Murray? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who have better backhand? Djokovic or Murray?

Pages : [1] 2

dusan1610
07-22-2009, 10:38 PM
hmm...who have better backhand? what you think i think DJOKOVIC

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uJpmtCm70Vc&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uJpmtCm70Vc&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YsMLBAKn9MU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YsMLBAKn9MU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

jonathancrane
07-22-2009, 10:42 PM
Both are good, but Murray

LEGENDOFTENNIS
07-22-2009, 10:55 PM
Murray

Clydey
07-22-2009, 11:41 PM
Both great backhands, but Murray can do more with his. That includes with two hands and one hand on the racquet.

Diphil
07-22-2009, 11:42 PM
I think Djokovic.

ORGASMATRON
07-22-2009, 11:47 PM
Decent poll for a change. Tough one. A tie? :confused:

ballbasher101
07-23-2009, 12:24 AM
The Djoker can't slice to save his life so Murray for me.

ORGASMATRON
07-23-2009, 12:26 AM
The Djoker can't slice to save his life so Murray for me.

Fair enough, but Djoker have that incredible defensive bh which Murray dont have.

ballbasher101
07-23-2009, 12:30 AM
Fair enough, but Djoker have that incredible defensive bh which Murray dont have.

You do have a point but I prefer the versatility of Murray's Backhand.

ORGASMATRON
07-23-2009, 12:33 AM
You do have a point but I prefer the versatility of Murray's Backhand.

Yeah Murray has better variation, while the Djoker has more power and solidity i feel.

ballbasher101
07-23-2009, 12:42 AM
Yeah Murray has better variation, while the Djoker has more power and solidity i feel.

I think the surface plays a role in this as well. On grass I think Murray's backhand is better because of his slice and he gets more from the surface in terms of power. On hard courts the Djoker does have the edge I feel only slightly.

Deivid23
07-23-2009, 01:04 AM
Murray´s bh is currently unparalleled overall. Hope this helps

straitup
07-23-2009, 01:09 AM
Djokovic definitely for power (at least the Djokovic in 07 and 08), but Murray has the variety and can also flatten it out well. So Murray

Cloudygirl
07-23-2009, 01:21 AM
Murray has lots of variety and can hit winners from nowhere on that wing, so Andy wins for me.

chenx15
07-23-2009, 01:23 AM
i just want this to guys to go head to head on a GS and see who's better

JacobDancer
07-23-2009, 01:23 AM
Djokovic has very clean forehand, and can hit a lot more winner when at his best

Forehander
07-23-2009, 04:23 AM
BY FAR Murray. And he's not even using it to the best of it's potential yet.

MrChopin
07-23-2009, 04:31 AM
Murray´s bh is currently unparalleled overall. Hope this helps

Doesn't help. Djokovic ftw when playing '07-08. Murray has him only in ros and drop shot. Djokovic owns dtl and can hit cc power as consistent as anyone.

Safin and Nablbandian own both. Hope this helps.

Deivid23
07-23-2009, 09:24 AM
Doesn't help. Djokovic ftw when playing '07-08. Murray has him only in ros and drop shot. Djokovic owns dtl and can hit cc power as consistent as anyone.

Safin and Nablbandian own both. Hope this helps.

lol

Haelfix
07-23-2009, 09:50 AM
Excellent question, very close. I think maybe Djoker slightly (when he's playing well), b/c he has slightly more power with it. Still, Murray has the consistency and the slice so that evens it out.

I'd still take Nalbandians though. Its ridiculous how good that shot is! Anyone who can actually go stroke for stroke with Nadal's forehand and actually come out a winner half the time in a neutral rally gets my vote.

Langers
07-23-2009, 09:53 AM
Djokovic has the best backhand in the game so I guess that makes the winner clear...

HattonWBA
07-23-2009, 11:51 AM
Murray can do more with his so i will lean towards him. Novaks is awesome though

Certinfy
07-23-2009, 01:21 PM
I think Murray.

lazybear
07-23-2009, 02:30 PM
lol

Why are you laughing out loud, in what world Nalbandian's backhand worse than those two's? David has them both when it comes to angles, and winners. Not to mention, he's much more agressive with it. Why do you think it's the only backhand in the business that can consistently hurt maybe the greatest defensive player this sport ever seen?

Certinfy
07-23-2009, 02:41 PM
I think he might of been laughing out loud because u said Safin... And well Safin's BH is shit now.

lazybear
07-23-2009, 04:01 PM
I think he might of been laughing out loud because u said Safin... And well Safin's BH is shit now.

No i didn't, and if he lol'd particularly because of Safin, he would've mentioned it, wouldn't he?

Okonsky
07-23-2009, 05:11 PM
Both are better.

Noleta
07-23-2009, 06:21 PM
Djokovic dtl BH 07/08 simply:inlove:

Deivid23
07-23-2009, 07:01 PM
Why are you laughing out loud, in what world Nalbandian's backhand worse than those two's? David has them both when it comes to angles, and winners. Not to mention, he's much more agressive with it. Why do you think it's the only backhand in the business that can consistently hurt maybe the greatest defensive player this sport ever seen?

Bc it´s a laughable post. Murray´s bh overall is unparalleled as I said. He can do absolutely everything with it with maximum precision, hitting dtl, cc with the power he wants, returning, slicing, lobbing, sliced lobbing, and every kind of shot imaginable on that wing. Now find another guy in tour that can hit every kind of shot on his bh no worse than on a 9/10 rate. Only Nalbandian´s bh comes close but doesn´t reach the array of variety Murray does

oranges
07-23-2009, 07:17 PM
We'll have to take your word for it that he can use it offensively as well as Nalbandian because we sure don't get to see it. Anyone remember the last time he hit it on the rise? As for Joker/Murray, I'd kind of combine them and its difficult to really compare for the same reason. Djokovic for dictating play in a rally and aggression, Murray for slice, passings and above all lobs.

lazybear
07-23-2009, 08:28 PM
Bc it´s a laughable post. Murray´s bh overall is unparalleled as I said. He can do absolutely everything with it with maximum precision, hitting dtl, cc with the power he wants, returning, slicing, lobbing, sliced lobbing, and every kind of shot imaginable on that wing. Now find another guy in tour that can hit every kind of shot on his bh no worse than on a 9/10 rate. Only Nalbandian´s bh comes close but doesn´t reach the array of variety Murray does

If we're talking about versatility, yes, you're right, but for me, versatility isn't everything. Nalbandian has the best backhand when it comes to offensive tennis. Murray has he most versatile backhand, there is no competition, but Nalbandian can generate such angles with his backhand, that no one else seems to be able to do with a double handed backhand. I guess we're not gonna agree on this.

DrJules
07-23-2009, 09:20 PM

In another thread Action Jackson, wrongly in my view, does not consider the Murray backhand deserves a voting slot of its own.

Ichiban1920
07-23-2009, 09:26 PM

Safin and Nalbandians bh > Murray's.

Murraylicious
07-23-2009, 10:22 PM
When Murray is going to hit double-handed backhand, opponent doesn't know where he hit the ball, left or right

so it's Murray

Har-Tru
07-23-2009, 10:27 PM
Murray.

thegreendestiny
07-23-2009, 10:37 PM
Murray definitely. Looking at the videos, their footing shows their difference in approach. Djokovic's feet are firmly planted on the ground adding power to his swing while Murray sort of like suspends himself on air giving him both power and versatility.

RogerFan82
07-24-2009, 04:17 AM
David Nalbandian

DrJules
11-25-2010, 10:19 PM
Murray still leading the better backhand thread vs. Djokovic.

Murray would probably also win movement, defense, 1st serve and volley.

Djokovic would probably win power hitting, mental toughnes, 2nd serve and forehand.

Clydey
11-25-2010, 10:23 PM

Bit late with this one, but you're seriously saying that Djokovic has a better slice?

Topspindoctor
11-26-2010, 12:22 AM
Djokovic. Mugray's BH is good, but Nole's is better.

rocketassist
11-26-2010, 01:15 AM
Murray definitely takes this one. Nole's backhand is fine, but he actually is more penetrative on his FH side, whereas Murray can boss anyone with the two hander.

luie
11-26-2010, 01:40 AM
Murray easily, nadull's top spin forehand is useless against Murray 2hand backhand on HC.Not often a player can break down nadull's forehand.consistently.

coonster14
11-26-2010, 03:12 AM
It's too close to call really, in terms of the two hander, these two, along with Nalbandian IMO, have the best double-handers in the men's game.

Now in terms of their slice backhands, Murray has a much better slice backhand, Nole's slice backhand is mediocre at best.

madmax
11-26-2010, 03:21 AM
Murray easily, nadull's top spin forehand is useless against Murray 2hand backhand on HC.Not often a player can break down nadull's forehand.consistently.

:worship:This...and that's why Murray owns Nadull on hardcourts - his bread and butter tactics of going to opponents BH simply doesn't work.

Filo V.
11-26-2010, 07:21 AM
Murray. Murray has probably the second best backhand in the game at his best, because he can literally do everything with it consistently, and what especially makes his backhand DTL so great is how hard it is to read when he does it, and how he lulls players to sleep before doing it. Nole has a great backhand in his own right, but Murray's backhand is his money shot.

Forehander
11-26-2010, 07:59 AM
It's definitely Murray. Djokovic's backhand is a shot that works with pace, but in general it's a loop deep shot. It's good at changing directions and all, but it is a shot that is highly dependent on opponents play. Rather than 'hitting the sweet spot" it's usually "scraping the sweet spot" hence making it very reliable on the defensive. But Murray's backhand has alot of weight and hence the versatility. It is sometimes an unpredictable shot that can throw opponent off guard from anywhere on the court. Another example we can use is punch a sand bag with your fist. If you use your dominant arm, you'll find that you're less likely to get injured and get much more power simply because you can efficient push your whole body weight into the blow. Whereas for your less dominant arm you will find it much harder to put your body weight into the blow. Murray, Nalbandian and Safin the only three who can perfectly transfer body weights into their backhands. Nobody else

Mohammad
11-26-2010, 08:30 AM
Pretty much equal, to be more precise, I think Murray has a better slice and Nole's topspin/flat backhand is a bit more powerful than Andy's.

HarryMan
11-26-2010, 08:48 AM
Murray IMO. He has a great lob, effective slice, good DTL and cross court backhand. Djokovic's backhand is great as well but purely from a variety perspective, I will go with Murray's backhand.

Synesthetic
11-26-2010, 09:52 AM
I think they're about equal. They excel in different ways. If pushed I'd say Murray - adequate power and good accuracy coupled with a better slice, which helps immensely both tactically and defensively.

I think of the following qualities when I think of their respective backhands:

ND: topspin, depth of shot, consistency, changing directions, passing shot (though who has the better one is definitely debatable), *sliding* defensive topspin BH, handling balls above shoulder height, aggressive return of serve, capacity to hit cold winners

AM: weight of shot, accuracy, variety/changing pace (inc. a superior slice), overall return of serve (inc. slice/blocked return), touch/feel (dropshot, lob, etc.), defensive slice out wide / slice moving forward, approach shot, adaptability (by this I mean a greater ability to handle varying pace, height and spin from the opponent)

Allez
11-26-2010, 10:03 AM
Neither is in the same class as Safin or even Nalbandian, but of the two I'd have to go with Murray. Sweet backhand.

ImmzB
11-26-2010, 11:19 AM
A.Murray.

born_on_clay
11-26-2010, 02:46 PM
Djokovic without any doubt :yeah:

Sapeod
11-26-2010, 02:55 PM
Djokovic without any doubt :yeah:
No, there is a lot of doubt there.

Murray's is better. Much more consistent, powerful, great slice, great return of serve, more reliable, can go cross court and down the line with ease and is great at controlling high and low balls.

Djokovic's, while good, pales in comparison by some margin.

didadida
11-26-2010, 03:58 PM
Muzza

Nole Rules
06-15-2011, 09:27 PM

Djokovic would probably win power hitting, mental toughnes, 2nd serve and forehand.

LOL

Nole Rules
06-15-2011, 09:28 PM
Nole has the better backhand. In 2011, his backhand has reached a new level.

Saberq
06-15-2011, 10:19 PM
Djokovic's BH is best on tour no question

yesh222
06-15-2011, 10:57 PM
Nole's been using it better this year. Murray's definitely could be better if he used it as well as he can though.

abraxas21
06-15-2011, 11:04 PM
murray

ImmzB
06-15-2011, 11:07 PM
Murray

guga2120
06-15-2011, 11:13 PM
Nole's backhand is the best single shot in tennis right now. Murray's is more versatile, and has a better slice, but Novak is better at changing direction. He hits it a bit harder too.

Sapeod
06-15-2011, 11:16 PM
Still Murray.

Pirata.
06-15-2011, 11:19 PM
Murkovic

Ibracadabra
06-15-2011, 11:19 PM
LMAO this thread.

Nole by some distance.

Sapeod
06-15-2011, 11:22 PM
It doesn't really matter anyway, we all know Nalbandian's backhand is by far better.

Lol, just kidding.

Ibracadabra
06-15-2011, 11:26 PM
Of course it is, but thats not the question at hand.

Topspindoctor
06-16-2011, 05:43 AM
The only reason Murray is winning is because Muzzatard voted with his alt accounts.

tests
06-16-2011, 05:52 AM
Djokovic as of now... but murray still has potential from that backhand wing.

FerrerAndNadal
06-16-2011, 06:02 AM
Murray

imjimmy
06-16-2011, 10:21 AM
Murray.

GOAT = Fed
06-16-2011, 12:12 PM
Both are great backhands and Djokovic's has been on fire this season but I just feel that Murray can do better slices and his power and precision is really up there with the Djoker. So I reckon Murray.

Forehander
06-16-2011, 12:19 PM
Based on 2011 I change my vote from Murray to Djokovic.

Nole fan
06-16-2011, 12:53 PM
Nole's backhand is the best single shot in tennis right now. Murray's is more versatile, and has a better slice, but Novak is better at changing direction. He hits it a bit harder too.

This. It's a work of art. One of the best backhands EVER.

Time Violation
06-16-2011, 12:56 PM
The only reason Murray is winning is because Muzzatard voted with his alt accounts.

This

Certinfy
06-16-2011, 01:01 PM
Murray's backhand cross court and slice are better I feel, might also have a better backhand passing shot?

Forehander
06-16-2011, 01:13 PM
This. It's a work of art. One of the best backhands EVER.

Care to explain how it's one of the best backhands EVER?

Forehander
06-16-2011, 01:16 PM
Murray's backhand cross court and slice are better I feel, might also have a better backhand passing shot?

No doubt his technique is better when it comes to the backhand. But Djokovic's athleticism is far superior to Murray's and hence he's always more in position for the backhand strike.

MaxPower
06-16-2011, 01:46 PM
Let me think about this.

reaction when Djokovic sends a stunning BH winner DTL: "again?! This guy is a beast"
reaction when Murray does it. "wow Murray can do that?"

reaction when Djokovic returns a 100mph BH bomb: "don't setup his BH fool, that was a suicide shot!"
reaction when Murray tries to hit a 100mph BH bomb: "omg Murray tries to play with power. sky is falling"

SO yeah technique and all I'm sure they both got. Hell every top10 player got good backhands. But if you factor in the "usage" Djokovic wins a landslide victory for better backhand

careergrandslam
06-16-2011, 02:01 PM
did some fool say djokovic's backhand is the greatest shot ever?

:haha:

federer's forehand is the greatest shot ever, and i dont even like the guy.

zlaja777
06-16-2011, 02:13 PM
Djokovic has the best backhand on tour without a question.

This is my upload of his BH winners at Madrid Open:

L0qrV6XyeTI

nestingus
06-16-2011, 02:13 PM
Murray, just. Good poll.

Orka_n
06-16-2011, 02:40 PM
This. It's a work of art. One of the best backhands EVER.Yes yes and his streak is the best in history and he will win 10 slams etc etc :bowdown:

OT, I think it's about even. Djokovic's BH is a little more aggressive usually so personally I'd go with his but it's a matter of taste.

nole_no1
06-16-2011, 02:52 PM
Djokovic's long line BH :worship:

Clay Death
06-16-2011, 02:59 PM
the great serbian slayer has the greatest backhand the world has ever seen.

GOAT = Fed
06-16-2011, 03:02 PM
Woooow. Nole has a great backhand but to say it is the greatest backhand ever is a bit over the top imo. You can't compare these strokes as for each player it is a different way of playing it. I am a big fed nut but even I'll say it is a bold claim to make that he has the greatest Forhand ever. It's definately a beautiful forehand but every player has different styles and you can't claim one players stroke is the best ever.

Saberq
06-16-2011, 03:05 PM
I also would not say it is the greatest of all time but top 5 for sure and best today

stebs
06-16-2011, 03:12 PM
Murray's is more versatile and I find it more aesthetically pleasing, these factors would previously have caused me to attribute it the status of the better double hander. However, the quality and consistency of Djokovic's backhand this year is ahead of anything we have seen from Murray. It is possible that the Scot will, at some stage, up his level to the point where I call them even. Until that has happened, I have to give the nod to Djokovic.

Clay Death
06-16-2011, 03:48 PM
safin, nalFATian, murray, borg, connors, mecir, and company all had great backhands.

nole`s backhand is better because of the 3 simple reasons:

1. it is just as consistent if not more

2. it has devastating finishing power which the other backhands lacked. safin would be the only exception.

3. he is able to return off that wing better than anybody ever has.

now safin definitely had that deadly finishing power but he lacked the consistency nole`s backhand has.

Forehander
06-16-2011, 04:05 PM
safin, nalFATian, murray, borg, connors, mecir, and company all had great backhands.

2. it has devastating finishing power which the other backhands lacked. safin would be the only exception.

now safin definitely had that deadly finishing power but he lacked the consistency nole`s backhand has.

Disagree. Only thing Djokovic is above Nalbandian with regards to his backhand is when his athleticism comes into play. Nalbandian can routinely fire backhands much more powerful than Djokovic's thanks to his flawless technique. Djokovic's backhand technique consist of a bent elbow which gives you great balance, but less body weight transfer. Whereas Nalbandian can miraculously extend himself into almost every shot. Nalbandian easily have the fastest and most explosive racquet head speed when it comes to the two handed backhand.

hiperborejac
06-16-2011, 04:07 PM

L0qrV6XyeTI

Great highlights - so many fantastic BH of all sorts, u did great job :yeah: Maybe his best BH show in his career - example for kids in tennis academies... Also great choice of background music - really suits Nole :yeah:

velikikomsa@gmai
06-16-2011, 04:53 PM

Better movement for Murray :superlol:

velikikomsa@gmai
06-16-2011, 05:02 PM

L0qrV6XyeTI

Good work man...full 5 minutes of backhand winners on one tournament.:worship:
Who's that guy anyway....no way he is Novak, must be Murray, he can slice better.

Gonzalez88
06-16-2011, 05:04 PM
Nole

SerialKillerToBe
06-16-2011, 05:22 PM
Nole doesn't need the slice. He has a better down the line and currently better cross court. Plus that drop shot.

Start da Game
06-16-2011, 06:26 PM
Disagree. Only thing Djokovic is above Nalbandian with regards to his backhand is when his athleticism comes into play. Nalbandian can routinely fire backhands much more powerful than Djokovic's thanks to his flawless technique. Djokovic's backhand technique consist of a bent elbow which gives you great balance, but less body weight transfer. Whereas Nalbandian can miraculously extend himself into almost every shot. Nalbandian easily have the fastest and most explosive racquet head speed when it comes to the two handed backhand.

it's easy for king david with his shorter arms to get his body weight into the shot and fake directions, while djokovic with his longer arms might sometimes struggle to get the body coordination right to transfer the weight into the shot to fake directions......

nalby can execute some fine backhands staying close to the ball where as djokovic needs to be a little away from the ball to not jam himself......

i think i will take king david's backhand too even though djokovic's is one of the best in the game......the best thing about djokovic's backhand is his consistency, the best thing about nalby's backhand is his ability to wrong foot the opponent......

Start da Game
06-16-2011, 06:27 PM
muzza's backhand is good but not as good as djokovic's for many reasons.......

tribalfusion
06-16-2011, 07:03 PM
the best thing about nalby's backhand is his ability to wrong foot the opponent......

This is so true. Simply beautiful to watch...

Clydey
06-16-2011, 07:06 PM

I disagree on the return. I think Murray has a better backhand return, while Djokovic has a better forehand return. That is particularly true when it comes to returning first serves.

Clay Death
06-16-2011, 09:42 PM

nalFATian and murray are right up there fo sho.

Clay Death
06-16-2011, 09:43 PM
I disagree on the return. I think Murray has a better backhand return, while Djokovic has a better forehand return. That is particularly true when it comes to returning first serves.

i hear ya mate.

i still take nole`s backhand.

Sapeod
06-16-2011, 09:47 PM
I don't have any alt accounts. I'm surprised Murray is winning this, although his backhand is better.

Certinfy
06-16-2011, 09:58 PM
Yeah I agree with this. Nole's forehand return is stunning, so is Andy's backhand return. :worship:

tennishero
06-16-2011, 11:33 PM
murrays backhand looks better, novaks works better. nalbandian owns them both :)

Rodre Fegassi
10-14-2011, 07:25 PM
They are both backhand - dominated players, but whereas Djokovic has a much stronger forehand than Murray has, Djokovic's backhand is also frequently mentioned as being the best in the world.

What are the difference in the mechanics of their swing?

Who hits with more spin, and how? What grips do they both use and why is Djokovic's backhand so much more powerful and accurate, and better against high balls?

Djokovic's backhand always seemed quite limited in range of motion to me, as he seemingly keeps both elbows bent at contact. Yet, despite this (or maybe because of it) - it is an obviously devastating shot.

Ibracadabra
10-14-2011, 07:25 PM
Noles of course.

Roadmap
10-14-2011, 07:26 PM
Murrays backhand>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Fakers backhand.

Rodre Fegassi
10-14-2011, 07:27 PM
Noles of course.

No-one is going to disagree that Djokovic has the far superior backhand - but the OP asks 'why?' does he have a superior backhand - and what is the difference in mechanics...

Roadmap
10-14-2011, 07:29 PM
Far superior backhand? Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha. How about NO. You drink far superior rum though.

Roadmap
10-14-2011, 07:30 PM
The difference is the forehand and confidence that Djokovic has.

Nole_1990
10-14-2011, 07:45 PM
They are both backhand - dominated players, but whereas Djokovic has a much stronger forehand than Murray has, Djokovic's backhand is also frequently mentioned as being the best in the world.

What are the difference in the mechanics of their swing?

Who hits with more spin, and how? What grips do they both use and why is Djokovic's backhand so much more powerful and accurate, and better against high balls?

Djokovic's backhand always seemed quite limited in range of motion to me, as he seemingly keeps both elbows bent at contact. Yet, despite this (or maybe because of it) - it is an obviously devastating shot.

I think Djokovic has a better wrist action than Murray on the backhand, having said that he gets more power and control on his shot, i think murray uses more spin than Djokovic but Djokovic's backhand is better technique wise as it is a rock solid shot, if you would like to compare the two Backhands :

Power : Djokovic
consistency : djokovic
DTL: Djokovic
Angles : Murray

Johnny Groove
10-14-2011, 07:49 PM
Djokovic w/o a shadow of a doubt.

This Murray bandwagoning is getting out of control. Just cause he won some events in Asia no one gives a shit about.

Sapeod
10-14-2011, 08:00 PM
Djokovic's backhand better than Murray's?? Lolwut? Murray's backhand is superior. He can create better angles, hit it harder, hit it deeper and do far more with it than Djokovic can. It's also almost impossible to break down unless he's playing badly to begin with. Hell, in both of his slam victories over Nadal, he broke Nadal's forehand down easily with it.

Power: Murray
Angles: Murray
Depth: Murray
Overall: Murray

rocketassist
10-14-2011, 08:00 PM
Their backhands are still near equal. The gulf comes in other aspects of their games.

Ibracadabra
10-14-2011, 08:06 PM
Djokovic's backhand better than Murray's?? Lolwut? Murray's backhand is superior. He can create better angles, hit it harder, hit it deeper and do far more with it than Djokovic can. It's also almost impossible to break down unless he's playing badly to begin with. Hell, in both of his slam victories over Nadal, he broke Nadal's forehand down easily with it.

Donald young and alex boggo broke down murrays backhand. This answers everything.

Nole_1990
10-14-2011, 08:10 PM

i think you are wrong here, anybody who watches tennis knows that novak backhand is far more powerfull and deeper than Murray's i might agree with angles because Novak doesn't bother to use them since he has the power o dictate with his backhand

Roadmap
10-14-2011, 08:11 PM
Fakers backhand is an ugly looking shot. Murrays is a gorgeous shot with superb timing. It sounds good when he hits it.

Roadmap
10-14-2011, 08:12 PM
Murrays backhand>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Fakers backhand.

Roadmap
10-14-2011, 08:13 PM
If anything Djokovic's forehand is UNDERRATED and his backhand significantly OVERRATED.

abraxas21
10-14-2011, 08:15 PM
murray probly has the best or second best two handed backhand in the circuit.

better than fako's, imo

Nole_1990
10-14-2011, 08:17 PM
If anything Djokovic's forehand is UNDERRATED and his backhand significantly OVERRATED.

Djokovic Forehand an extremely underrated shot but the success that Novak achieved in 2011 is waht made people notice that his forehand is agreat shot.

Time Violation
10-14-2011, 08:31 PM

Doesn't really matter in the end; it's what he does with is what counts - there is still no kata in tennis :)

Sham Kay
10-14-2011, 08:32 PM
Tintin, it doesn't matter. Nothing matters.

Rodre Fegassi
10-14-2011, 08:46 PM
Djokovic w/o a shadow of a doubt.

This Murray bandwagoning is getting out of control. Just cause he won some events in Asia no one gives a shit about.

Calm down mate, the OP specifically mentions several times that Djokovic's backhand is better without a shadow of a doubt anyway.

NikolaBGD
10-14-2011, 08:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nbmevsrpJc

Next...

alter ego
10-14-2011, 08:48 PM
Djokovic has a better DTL BH, Murray has the better cross court. Slice is about equal but I give the edge to Murray.

Rodre Fegassi
10-14-2011, 08:50 PM
Refer to the questions in the original post.

This thread isn't asking 'who has the better backhand?' because we all know that is Nole anyway.

NikolaBGD
10-14-2011, 08:59 PM
Refer to the questions in the original post.

This thread isn't asking 'who has the better backhand?' because we all know that is Nole anyway.

Better in clutch momments, never fails against Nadal topspins, most reliable shot in Novak's game and reason why is so dominant this year.

Muzza's backhand is excellent shot, but Novak is better, nevermind a forehand.

Saberq
10-14-2011, 09:17 PM
murray probly has the best or second best two handed backhand in the circuit.

better than fako's, imo

quiet mug

Henry Chinaski
10-14-2011, 09:19 PM
The thread just shows how fucking retarded this forum is.

The OP tried to start a serious discussion about the mechanics of the respective backhands and look what happened. JUST LOOK. Not once did he ask which backhand was better.

I notice he has less than 100 posts. I guess he'll soon learn that he'd have a more enlightening technical discussion with his pet goldfish.

n8
10-14-2011, 11:15 PM
Murray

YsMLBAKn9MU

Djokovic

-k40zmz1uvA

A key difference from my view is the difference in top spin. Murray's is flatter. I think this is because his straighter left arm, more open racquet face, and his take back is more behind the ball than below the ball.

This means Murray can generate power more easily but Djokovic's has more margin and is more effective on clay.

n8
10-14-2011, 11:32 PM
The relative flatness of Murray's backhand has some other consequences.

1 - It's great for returning fast serves. Murray is one of the very best returners of 1st serves. Due to the racquet face being open and the racquet itself coming from behind the ball, timing is less of an issue and hence he connects cleaning more often on very fast serves.

2 - So called 'pushers' usually have flatter shots (see Simon). This is because they need to take pace off the ball to keep it in play in rally shots. But it also means they can generate easy power.

Roadmap
10-14-2011, 11:44 PM
The difference is the way they move their bodies into the shot. Murray does not give his opponents any clue as to where he is going to hit the ball. In my opinion he does not unload on that side often enough. Murray's backhand is one of the most devastating shots in tennis. Some turnips like to claim he has no weapons. Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha.

Alex999
10-14-2011, 11:58 PM
Murrays backhand>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Fakers backhand.
You are wrong. I love both players. I think they both have beautiful BH but Novak is better. His BH is so deadly, it's crazy. Watch some highlights on you tube. I just can't stand when guys on this board are not being objective. I realize you love Murray but please.

Roadmap
10-15-2011, 12:01 AM
I am being objective. It is not as if I have claimed Murray has a better forehand. I am convinced he has the superior backhand.

leng jai
10-15-2011, 12:14 AM
Faker's topspin backhand is:

- better DTL.
- better defensively
- more consistent
- more consistently powerful
- better depth

Murray's topspin backhand is:

- better cross court.
- better at angled shots.
- flatter

Roadmap
10-15-2011, 12:15 AM
wtf is wrong with you? this is a tennis board. Guess what, that Serbian guy called Novak Djokovic is #1 in the world. He has worked his freaking a$$ to get where he is right now. You are just a bloody idiot. I couldn't give a sh!t how many Serbs live in Britain. What does that have to do with tennis. Mods, how can you tolerate this? Wtf is wrong with this board? This is so sad.

I was only responding to Saberq's constant anti British digs towards me. Are Serbs the only people allowed to defend themselves?

paseo
10-15-2011, 12:17 AM
We all know that Federer has a better BH than Djokovic and Murray combined.

http://www.reactionface.info/sites/default/files/images/epic_trollface.jpg

Roadmap
10-15-2011, 12:21 AM
Too funny that. Not. Don't quit the day job job EliSter.

cocrcici
10-15-2011, 12:28 AM
:inlove: :inlove: :inlove:

teacherling
10-15-2011, 12:44 AM
Far superior backhand? Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha. How about NO. You drink far superior rum though.

I beg to disagree. From what I've seen Novak's BH is superior to Andy's because it is much faster and although rather linear seems hard to defend. Andy's way slower --- thus the difference. I may be wrong though as my eyesight is failing.

teacherling
10-15-2011, 12:47 AM
Fakers backhand is an ugly looking shot. Murrays is a gorgeous shot with superb timing. It sounds good when he hits it.

I you were into the string theory of the universe you would be tempted, I guess, to talk about the music of the spheres going hand in hand with Andy's BH. Nice. I have nothing against that idea.

Roadmap
10-15-2011, 12:57 AM
By saying that I believe Murray has the better backhand does not mean I am insulting Djokovic's backhand. I am not.

Saberq
10-15-2011, 12:57 AM
I am being objective. It is not as if I have claimed Murray has a better forehand. I am convinced he has the superior backhand.

and every tennis expert says that Djokovic has the best backhand in the world as did Fed and Nadal given that they kick Murray's ass in every important match

Saberq
10-15-2011, 12:58 AM
By saying that I believe Murray has the better backhand does not mean I am insulting Djokovic's backhand. I am not.

of course not you are only saying that Djokovic has a great BH but Murray has a better one thus saying that Murray's BH is elite......look at Novaks matches against Nadal and what his BH does to him and than watch Murray's piss poor BH against Nadal.....

Haelfix
10-15-2011, 01:00 AM
Djokovic can hit his bh a little harder. I prefer his dtl, but I prefer Murray's crosscourt.

Both return off that wing impeccably. Murray has a little more variety (a decent slice) and accuracy. Novak meanwhile can just bludgeon you to death, without ever missing. Murray's is also pretty consistent.

You aren't going to go wrong either way.

Roadmap
10-15-2011, 01:03 AM
of course not you are only saying that Djokovic has a great BH but Murray has a better one thus saying that Murray's BH is elite......look at Novaks matches against Nadal and what his BH does to him and than watch Murray's piss poor BH against Nadal.....

There is nothing wrong with Murrays backhand against Nadal. The problem is the inability/unwillingness to hit the forehand down the line which allows the Spaniard to camp on his deuce side.

Saberq
10-15-2011, 01:05 AM
There is nothing wrong with Murrays backhand against Nadal. The problem is the inability/unwillingness to hit the forehand down the line which allows the Spaniard to camp on his deuce side.

true Murray's lack of FH DTL is killing him against Nadal completely ....If he doesnt fix that he will never beat him over 5 sets

alter ego
10-15-2011, 01:07 AM
true Murray's lack of FH DTL is killing him against Nadal completely ....If he doesnt fix that he will never beat him over 5 sets

He has beaten him twice in the best of 5. :rolleyes:

Saberq
10-15-2011, 01:12 AM
He has beaten him twice in the best of 5. :rolleyes:

second time Nadal was at 60% and I rooted for Murray that day.....Now Nadal is better than him in a Slam

alter ego
10-15-2011, 01:22 AM
Ridiculous claim. Nadull was playing his best tennis in the first two sets. Murray was just better. In the 3rd set Nadull faked an injury and retired.

Saberq
10-15-2011, 01:31 AM
Ridiculous claim. Nadull was playing his best tennis in the first two sets. Murray was just better. In the 3rd set Nadull faked an injury and retired.

Nadal played like shit for 6 months at that point ......I am not a fan of him but he was fucked up

alter ego
10-15-2011, 01:41 AM
If you can't remember the match then watch the bloody highlights.

IxV8GG4DF3c

Murray was clutch that day and played very well on important points.

Topspindoctor
10-15-2011, 01:46 AM
Mugray's BH is overrated IMO.

Sapeod
10-15-2011, 01:50 AM
Look man I am sorry about my comments to you but you got to much hate for my boy ........I understand you love Murray and all but to say that Murray has a better BH than Novak is like me saying Novak has a better touch than Murray you know....
But Murray's backhand IS better.

Topspindoctor
10-15-2011, 01:51 AM
But Murray's backhand IS better.

:superlol:

Synesthetic
10-15-2011, 03:01 AM
The main difference for me is how effectively Djokovic can hit his topspin BH while sliding in defensive positions. Murray like most players typically hits a defensive slice when forced out wide. So as has been said I think Djokovic has a better defensive topspin backhand.

In terms of the mechanics though, if you look closely at their stroke production you can see that Djokovic has a more pronounced wrist drop (therefore racquet head further below ball, therefore more topspin) and importantly, rotates his torso and hips more, thus he derives power on his BH more from rotational force. Murray hits a flatter topspin BH because his swingpath is much more linear - he doesn't 'brush up' the back of the ball as much. This is really obvious if you watch the slow-mo clips StatRacket posted earlier in this thread. Flatter also means more easy power - Murray can really hammer his backhand crosscourt. Meanwhile, going DTL with a flatter shot is more risky, as you're going over the high part of the net.

These are probably some of the underlying reasons in terms of why Djokovic hits with more topspin and has a better BH DTL, while Murray hits flatter and can generate easy power with his CC BH.

MuzzahLovah
10-15-2011, 03:39 AM
The main difference for me is how effectively Djokovic can hit his topspin BH while sliding in defensive positions. Murray like most players typically hits a defensive slice when forced out wide. So as has been said I think Djokovic has a better defensive topspin backhand.

In terms of the mechanics though, if you look closely at their stroke production you can see that Djokovic has a more pronounced wrist drop (therefore racquet head further below ball, therefore more topspin) and importantly, rotates his torso and hips more, thus he derives power on his BH more from rotational force. Murray hits a flatter topspin BH because his swingpath is much more linear - he doesn't 'brush up' the back of the ball as much. This is really obvious if you watch the slow-mo clips StatRacket posted earlier in this thread. Flatter also means more easy power - Murray can really hammer his backhand crosscourt. Meanwhile, going DTL with a flatter shot is more risky, as you're going over the high part of the net.

These are probably some of the underlying reasons in terms of why Djokovic hits with more topspin and has a better BH DTL, while Murray hits flatter and can generate easy power with his CC BH.

That is actually an intelligent analysis- Where am I? I can't be still on MTF?!?

Clydey
10-15-2011, 06:23 AM
Djokovic has a better DTL BH, Murray has the better cross court. Slice is about equal but I give the edge to Murray.

Come again?

xdrewitdajx
10-15-2011, 08:09 AM
they both pale in comparison to John Isner

Mechlan
10-15-2011, 09:27 AM

Great post in an otherwise useless thread.

Forehander
10-15-2011, 09:31 AM
Equal. But Technically Murray on top due to his smooth weight transfer to form an extended arm so potentially can do more and have much room for improvement. It's like comparing forehand techniques - bent elbow or extended arm.

Vida
10-15-2011, 01:02 PM

yeah but which is better?

:)

Start da Game
10-15-2011, 02:38 PM
whatever murray does with his backhand, djokovic does better......

oomph
10-15-2011, 03:20 PM
People should stop sucking DJokovic's nuts, he doesn't have a superior BH.

ballbasher101
10-15-2011, 03:39 PM
Their backhands are equal. Murray's backhand does certain things better than Djokovic's backhand and vice versa. Murray slices better. Djokovic is able to take the ball earlier on the backhand thus enabling him to deal well with Nadal's moon balls. Defensively Djokovic defends better from the backhand side. Murry mixes things up a lot more on the backhand. As most have said Murray hits a little flatter. When it comes to going down the line and cross court they are equal in my view. Djokovic does not rely on his backhand as much as Murray does especially this season because his forehand is so much better.

ballbasher101
10-15-2011, 03:43 PM
But Novak DOES have better touch than Murray. One of the most overrated things about Murray is his supposed 'touch' at the net. Djokovic trumps him in this area - look at some of his volleying against Nadal.

Murray is naturally better at volleying but Djokovic has improved so much in that area. They are all but equal when it comes to volleying.

Alex999
10-15-2011, 03:59 PM
People should stop sucking DJokovic's nuts, he doesn't have a superior BH.
no you do, lol

Start da Game
10-15-2011, 04:02 PM
where do people get the idea that murray's slice and volley are better than djokovic's? djokovic's volleys are far better and the slices are pretty much equal......

Nole_1990
10-15-2011, 04:11 PM
where do people get the idea that murray's slice and volley are better than djokovic's? djokovic's volleys are far better and the slices are pretty much equal......

+1
in the AO final djokovic oversliced murray in a couple of time he used the short slice to get andy closer to the net the fires a down the line forehand.
people should watch the wimbledon final to see how effective was novak at the net against Nadal.

LawrenceOfTennis
10-15-2011, 04:12 PM
+1
in the AO final djokovic oversliced murray in a couple of time he used the short slice to get andy closer to the net the fires a down the line forehand.
people should watch the wimbledon final to see how effective was novak at the net against Nadal.

:facepalm: epic fail
djokovic is one of the worst volleyers in the top 10.

DrJules
10-15-2011, 04:15 PM

I hope you are joking.

Murray certainly has a better volley and his slice has the edge.

The Djokovic volley is like the Federer or Nadal backhand a good shot, but weaker when compared against the best exponents in the game.

Orka_n
10-15-2011, 04:16 PM
Noletards will say Novak.
Muzzatards will say Andy.
Neutraltards will say about equal.

:shrug:

Alex999
10-15-2011, 04:16 PM
no, he is not. I could post some videos but I don't rally care.

DrJules
10-15-2011, 04:20 PM
Noletards will say Novak.
Muzzatards will say Andy.
Neutraltards will say about equal.

:shrug:

Overall most would say the Djokovic backhand has the edge, but there are elements where Murray is better particularly in relation to slice, touch and variety.

DrJules
10-15-2011, 04:24 PM

Can only think of 4/5 in the top 10 who are certainly better; Federer, Murray, Tsonga and Fish and possibly Nadal

Orka_n
10-15-2011, 04:24 PM
Overall most would say the Djokovic backhand has the edge, but there are elements where Murray is better particularly in relation to slice, touch and variety.That's why I said about equal. Didn't want my personal opinion to show. :p (I think Murray perhaps has the better CC BH but Nole's is better DTL and that might be the deciding factor.) But anyway there's not a huge difference imo.

Sapeod
10-15-2011, 04:25 PM
whatever murray does with his backhand, djokovic does better......
Wrong. Murray's backhand is superior to Djokovic's.
Oh dear. Murray's volleys/touch/slice >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Djokovic's. Have a nice day.
+1
Seriously? In the Australian Open Murray was playing terribly and wasn't able to do anything right. Hardly good evidence you have there. Djokovic did better than Murray who was playing terrible. Great proof there :superlol:
no, he is not. I could post some videos but I don't rally care.
Of course not :rolleyes: Post some proof that Djokovic's volleys are better than Murray's. I dare you :wavey:

DrJules
10-15-2011, 04:26 PM
That's why I said about equal. Didn't want my personal opinion to show. :p (I think Murray perhaps has the better CC BH but Nole's is better DTL and that might be the real defining factor.) :)

I think that is where the advantage lies.

MuzzahLovah
10-15-2011, 06:10 PM
Because of Novak's spindliness and flexibility he makes so great stab volleys, but Nole only comes to net when he has to, because volleys are not his strength. Murray will work his way to net or serve and volley, and can make volleys without looking at the ball.

AawIuXrRU48

Yolita
10-15-2011, 06:17 PM
Whys is Djokovic's backhand better than Murray's? I don't know exactly why, but it's deadly and a joy to watch. :worship: Enjoy. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0qrV6XyeTI&feature=youtu.be

Sapeod
10-15-2011, 06:20 PM
Because of Novak's spindliness and flexibility he makes so great stab volleys, but Nole only comes to net when he has to, because volleys are not his strength. Murray will work his way to net or serve and volley, and can make volleys without looking at the ball.

AawIuXrRU48
I'd love to see Djokovic try and do that.

Saberq
10-15-2011, 06:53 PM
I'd love to see Djokovic try and do that.

he is busy dominating the tour and winning Grand Slams

tektonac
10-15-2011, 07:10 PM
both bhs are top notch but novak wins this race. he can hit top spin and flat (not murray only) as well. Novak's bh is battle proven -> 4 GSs (something murray trolls don't like).

xdrewitdajx
10-15-2011, 07:34 PM
there's not enough "peak" talk in here. There should be more talk about "peak".

MuzzahLovah
10-15-2011, 07:39 PM
there's not enough "peak" talk in here. There should be more talk about "peak".

I'm surprised their aren't more comments about how Federer and Nadal have better backhands because they have more slams. :rolls:

Mechlan
10-15-2011, 07:53 PM
I think that is where the advantage lies.

That + Djokovic's defensive/stretch BH is world class, which gives him the edge. In today's retrieving game, that is crucial.

rocketassist
10-15-2011, 09:11 PM

Djokovic's volleys better? :facepalm:

Orka_n
10-15-2011, 09:46 PM
That + Djokovic's defensive/stretch BH is world class, which gives him the edge. In today's retrieving game, that is crucial.Yes, you're right.

murex
10-15-2011, 11:55 PM
Only for muzzatards eyes :cool:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nbmevsrpJc

leng jai
10-16-2011, 12:48 AM
Faker's balance on the backhand is GOAT status. When 95% of players have to resort to a floating slice, Faker will hit the two hander and stay neutral.

Naudio Spanlatine
10-16-2011, 01:10 AM
I'm surprised their aren't more comments about how Federer and Nadal have better backhands because they have more slams. :rolls:

Fed has NEVER had a great BH:rolleyes:

Rafa use to have a AMAZING BH:angel: but he started focusing on his FH more for the past 2-3 years;)

paseo
10-16-2011, 04:25 AM

Me, me... I said it.

Naudio Spanlatine
10-16-2011, 04:33 AM

DA F$#% IS YOU SMOKING???????

:haha::haha::banghead::rolls::rolls::rolls::sobbin g::sobbing::superlol::superlol:

Thats like saying Jelena Jankovic has a better forehand than Ana Ivanovic

Naudio Spanlatine
10-16-2011, 04:36 AM
Nole has a more consistant BH and redirects the BH far better than Murray

to be honest Both players miss terribly at their volleys TERRIBLY........which makes me................*DEAD* :superlol: :superlol: :rolls: :rolls:

Halba
02-02-2012, 11:11 AM
although novak the vastly superior player, with a full arsenal of strokes and no weaker wing, in terms of BH, it is a very close contest. whose is better?

andy actually has a slice backhand whereas novak doesn't

they both have incredible down the line BH and can change it at will

defensively both can handle heat very well and move around the court excellent

cross court, both can let it rip flat, with little net clearance, and at full array of angle.

in terms of power, not much difference. i think novak might be more consistent.

EddieNero
02-02-2012, 12:05 PM
Nole's bh is probably more consistent and he finds a greater depth in those shots, yet Murray can sometimes generate an enormous acceleration on this side and hit a winner basically from nowhere.
However, I suppose Novak's backhand is sort of more immune for Nadal crosscourt forehand. Murray seems to struggle with that shot a little bit.

Jimnik
02-03-2012, 06:41 AM
Close call but Murray's has the edge.

Djoker's confidence has made his BH look better than it is. Technically it's a great shot but not the best.

Hypnotize
02-03-2012, 12:09 PM
Novak has always had the better backhand, but these days it isn't even a close contest.

leng jai
02-03-2012, 12:42 PM
Murray doesn't have the edge anywhere besides the slice. Nole's balance on the shot is so good he doesn't even need to rely on slicing most of the time.

Vida
02-03-2012, 01:04 PM
even slice is questionable

(we should grab everything while its hot).

Marc23
02-03-2012, 01:09 PM
Spin and flat-Djokovic(a bit stronger)

Slice-Murray for sure!(no need to say why)

Marc23
02-03-2012, 01:10 PM
even slice is questionable

Murray has natural slice...Djokovic does the job while his slice looks a bit art-official...

Captain Piranha
02-03-2012, 01:13 PM
If both players were level on slams, & achievements weren't in the way when judging, I'd say Murray. Nole better (slightly or loads more ) on lots of facets of the game but backhand IMHO isn't one.

Sound2k10
02-03-2012, 01:33 PM
I think Murray. He gets really low on the ball and essentially can pick whether he wants it flat or with lots of spin, while Djokovic's is more one dimensional. Andy Murray also hits a way better crosscourt ball. Djokovic defends better off the backhand, but that has more to do with the fact he is more flexible and has supreme core strength.

Vida
02-03-2012, 01:47 PM
I love how murray fans constantly try to extricate any physical property of a particular shot or technical aspect.

its the famous mental trapeze a particularly closeted murray fangirl has patented long ago, and which of course works only in his twisted mind.

Hian-GOAT
02-03-2012, 01:58 PM
Nole, and it's not even close.

Clay Death
02-03-2012, 03:23 PM
nole has the best backhand ever seen in the sport.

Clydey
02-03-2012, 03:28 PM
Oh, fuck me. What else we got, folks? Best movement ever, best return ever, best backhand ever.

Let's expand the list, shall we? His volleys are really coming along. We'll put those down as a 'maybe'.

asmazif
02-03-2012, 03:36 PM
Murray has natural slice...Djokovic does the job while his slice looks a bit art-official...

it's official - nole's bh slice is art.

Clay Death
02-03-2012, 03:39 PM
negative. his slice sucks.

Clay Death
02-03-2012, 03:40 PM
Oh, fuck me. What else we got, folks? Best movement ever, best return ever, best backhand ever.

Let's expand the list, shall we? His volleys are really coming along. We'll put those down as a 'maybe'.

too good Clydey.

asmazif
02-03-2012, 03:49 PM
negative. his slice sucks.

read the post i was quoting

ballbasher101
02-03-2012, 04:23 PM
The Djokovic backhand is on par with Murray's in my view. People overestimate the Djokovic backhand whilst underestimating the Djokovic forehand. Murray and Djokovic are relatively even but Djokovic has a much better forehand and second serve. You need a great forehand if you want to win a major. Very few if any players have won majors over the last 15 years without having a great forehand.

Shinoj
02-03-2012, 04:34 PM
Djokovic has a way way better backhand than Murray. He uses it to change direction of the rally,enforce the pace, hit it for a winner. he uses it in so many ways.

Murray for some reason uses it rarely as an attacking weapon, often at the end of the point or when he is pushed to the limit. He should use it as an attacking weapon more often.

Clay Death
02-03-2012, 04:38 PM
murray`s backahand is amazing but it crumbles under extreme pressure. it also lacks the consistent terminal potency.

but the great serbian slayer`s backand is from another planet. it has massive finishing power. call it deadly, lethal, and terminal finishing power.

another translation: he can destroy you with it. either when returning serve with it or in a rally off the ground.

2nd translation: if he wants you dead with it, you are dead.

end of story. somebody start another thread on some other topic.

Mateya
02-03-2012, 05:32 PM
Murray for me.
Just technicly perfect two-handed backhand, can also play a sharper slice. The problem is using it. You know...it's like you have a great tool, but you don't know how to use it. ;)

Nole leading the poll :facepalm:

MurrayMagic1
02-03-2012, 05:42 PM
obviously Murray. His BH has well more variety and power than Nole.

madmax
02-03-2012, 06:31 PM
Scott has a better BH, serbian has much better FH, mental strenght and competitive edge. Conclusion - serbian is a considerably superior player

Marc23
02-03-2012, 06:40 PM
His BH has well more power than Nole.

:stupid:

tektonac
02-03-2012, 07:09 PM
would love to see consistency of murray's bh against nadal's fh. then you'll know who has a better bh.

finishingmove
02-03-2012, 07:58 PM
does djokovic win their matches by running around his backhand? no

because he has the better one.

MatchFederer
02-03-2012, 08:33 PM
For what reason did Saberq get banned?

rocketassist
02-03-2012, 10:18 PM
would love to see consistency of murray's bh against nadal's fh. then you'll know who has a better bh.

It's hurt Nadal's FH plenty of times.

Djoker's DTL backhand is better, but I prefer Muzza's CC jackhammer.

Djoker's greater success stems from their respective forehands than their backhands.

Singularity
02-03-2012, 10:44 PM
does djokovic win their matches by running around his backhand? no

because he has the better one.
I think Djokovic runs round his backhand more than Murray, because he has the better inside-out forehand.

stewietennis
02-04-2012, 02:08 AM
In a stationary rally without any running, Murray's is better.

On the run, Djokovic's is better – looks more stable.

leng jai
02-04-2012, 02:16 AM
Running around the backhand doesn't give any indication on who has the better one. Any player with a half decent forehand will run around the backhand if they have time and it doesn't put the out of position. The fact is that getting power and hitting putaways on the forehand is far easier (not to mentions safer).

out_grinder
02-04-2012, 11:47 AM
Djokovic has several slams, Murray has none.

Therefore Djokovic has a much better backhand, and probably every facet of his game is better than the equivalent of Murray's.

Clydey
02-04-2012, 01:13 PM

Therefore Djokovic has a much better backhand...

Your conclusion may very well be correct. But how you arrived at that conclusion is a prime example of MTF's retarded logic.

EddieNero
02-04-2012, 01:17 PM
Federer has 16 slams, Djokovic has 5.
Therefore Federer has a much better backhand.

tripwires
02-04-2012, 02:29 PM

This. :worship:

out_grinder
02-04-2012, 02:57 PM

The gap between a player with 16 slams versus a player with even one slam is much smaller than the gap between a player with 1 slam versus a player with no slams.

And Federer probably does have a better backhand than Djokovic.

Federer's backhand has one specific weakness, that's all, and Nadal's sole purpose for being on this planet is to exploit it.

Djokovic's backhand, for example, is inferior to Federer's on extremely low balls, which is why Federer's slice gives Djokovic's backhand trouble.

ossie
02-04-2012, 02:57 PM
murray has a better backhand, djoker has a better return.

out_grinder
02-04-2012, 02:59 PM
Come off it people, I can't believe we're comparing any shot of Djokovic's to any shot of Murray's, Djokovic is just several leagues above Murray and results have proven that.

Don't insult the Serb.

Clay Death
02-04-2012, 03:01 PM
affirmative.

the great serbian slayer is from another planet.

EddieNero
02-04-2012, 03:05 PM
Come off it people, I can't believe we're comparing any shot of Djokovic's to any shot of Murray's, Djokovic is just several leagues above Murray and results have proven that.

Don't insult the Serb.

If any of this was true, Murray's game wouldn't bother Nole so much. Murray definitely has the edge over Djokovic in two categories: volley and slice while the backhand side seems comparable.
But yes, Novak proved to be a better player in overall.

zcess81
02-04-2012, 03:13 PM

Therefore Djokovic has a much better backhand, and probably every facet of his game is better than the equivalent of Murray's.

No, no, no, no :facepalm: No! You cannot conclude that Nole has better backhand simply because he has won slams and Murray hasn't. Are you saying that Federer's backhand is better than Murray's (or Nole's) simply because he has 16 slams and Murray has none? On a technical level they are very comparable imho. Both have similar movement (I give a slight edge to Nole here actually), backhand, speed, returns, defense etc. Nole has better, more aggressive forehand and better 2nd serve, while Murray has better slices and perhaps volley/net game, but that's about it...the reason why Nole won slams and Murray hasn't has everything to do with the mind and belief (or lack of it in case of Murray against the very best players).

Clay Death
02-04-2012, 03:15 PM
nole does just about everything better than murray. his "movement of death" is off the charts and out of this world.

it is what it is folks. you just have to live with the reality on the ground.

nole is an all time great. murray will eventually get his 1 hard court slam but not until nadal`s and nole`s levels drop significantly.

out_grinder
02-04-2012, 03:24 PM
nole does just about everything better than murray. his "movement of death" is off the charts and out of this world.

it is what it is folks. you just have to live with the reality on the ground.

nole is an all time great. murray will eventually get his 1 hard court slam but not until nadal`s and nole`s levels drop significantly.

Yeh, this 'mental belief' thing is way over-played, imo.

It's about talent, and Murray simply hasn't got near the talent that the Big Three have got.

This AO proved it, Murray didn't come close to beating a very sub-par Djokovic.

Until all three of those players are either dead or retired, Murray doesn't stand a hope in hell of reaching another Grand Slam FINAL. And we all know how he'd perform in a final, even if he made another one!!

BroTree123
02-04-2012, 03:28 PM
Nadal is better.

zcess81
02-04-2012, 03:28 PM

It's about talent, and Murray simply hasn't got near the talent that the Big Three have got.

Until all three of those players are either dead or retired, Murray doesn't stand a hope in hell of reaching another Grand Slam FINAL. And we all know how he'd perform in a final, even if he made another one!!

At the level these guys are at "this mental belief thing" is EVERYTHING. Absolutely everything...it's the difference between grand slam champions and good players. Many players have talent in abundance and have never won a slam (think Gasquet, Nalbandian, Tsonga, and more recently Murray, only to name a few).

Clay Death
02-04-2012, 03:30 PM

you may be right. murray certainly doesnt have the movement those 3 have. in modern tennis, ridiculous movement is a must.

Clydey
02-04-2012, 05:04 PM
you may be right. murray certainly doesnt have the movement those 3 have. in modern tennis, ridiculous movement is a must.

You can't be serious. Murray doesn't move as well as the top 3? Come on, CD.

Seriously, when did Murray's movement become a weakness? His game is generally based around his movement. His problems have been all mental up until this point. You don't do what he has done in the game if you lack talent.

In terms of consecutive slam semis, he is joint 4th all time. In terms of MS titles and the equivalent titles in other eras, he is amongst the most successful in any era, with more titles than the likes of Guga, Rios, Roddick, Chang, Vilas, Courier, Safin, etc. If you were to look at his results outside of the majors and guess how many slams he had won, logic dictates that you would guess at least 3 or 4.

His mind has simply let him down at the business end of slams far too often. He doesn't need any luck or any players to be out of the way. He simply needs to show the same mental toughness he showed in the semis of the AO this year.

Clydey
02-04-2012, 05:07 PM

Firstly, Djokovic was not 'sub-par'. Secondly, Murray didn't come close to beating him? He had two BPs that would have left him serving for the match.

And Murray has already beaten Nadal twice in majors.

You must be trolling.

Clay Death
02-04-2012, 05:32 PM
You can't be serious. Murray doesn't move as well as the top 3? Come on, CD.

Seriously, when did Murray's movement become a weakness? His game is generally based around his movement. His problems have been all mental up until this point. You don't do what he has done in the game if you lack talent.

In terms of consecutive slam semis, he is joint 4th all time. In terms of MS titles and the equivalent titles in other eras, he is amongst the most successful in any era, with more titles than the likes of Guga, Rios, Roddick, Chang, Vilas, Courier, Safin, etc. If you were to look at his results outside of the majors and guess how many slams he had won, logic dictates that you would guess at least 3 or 4.

His mind has simply let him down at the business end of slams far too often. He doesn't need any luck or any players to be out of the way. He simply needs to show the same mental toughness he showed in the semis of the AO this year.

dont get me wrong mate. murray is an amazing mover. there is no question about it.

fed, nole and nadal just happen to be on another level. nadal was a sick mover a few years back. fed was ridiculous too.

and now nole is beyond sick.

nobody has ever had nadal`s speed that he showed around 2005. he was being compared to the fastest cornerbacks in the NFL. but now that is the thing of the past. nole has surpassed both fed and nadal.

Clydey
02-04-2012, 05:38 PM
dont get me wrong mate. murray is an amazing mover. there is no question about it.

fed, nole and nadal just happen to be on another level. nadal was a sick mover a few years back. fed was ridiculous too.

and now nole is beyond sick.

nobody has ever had nadal`s speed that he showed around 2005. he was being compared to the fastest cornerbacks in the NFL. but now that is the thing of the past. nole has surpassed both fed and nadal.

I just can't agree with you on that. Murray's movement is certainly in the same league as Nole's and Nadal's. Federer is a great mover, but few people would say that he moves better than Murray. In a pure sprint, Nole and Rafa would doubtless beat Andy. Neither have his anticipation, though.

Clay Death
02-04-2012, 05:42 PM
I just can't agree with you on that. Murray's movement is certainly in the same league as Nole's and Nadal's. Federer is a great mover, but few people would say that he moves better than Murray. In a pure sprint, Nole and Rafa would doubtless beat Andy. Neither have his anticipation, though.

i hear ya old friend.

we will just keep watching them this year and see if we can arrive at a good conclusion.

murray is quite bright and he does anticipate well but his movement seems heavy at times.

nole and fed move like cats.

nadal is not the mover he used to be obviously.

out_grinder
02-04-2012, 05:57 PM

The only attribute Nole has worth mentioning amongst the general conditioning of tennis players athletically is good flexibility.

If Nole's body was wired for a pure sprint he'd look like an olympic sprinter - or at least more like Nadal. Have you ever seen an olympic sprinter? They're jacked. All that fast-twitch explosive muscle power. Nole looks positively manorexic by comparison. He's more built for a marathon.

Nadal is already MUCH less jacked than olympic sprinters, but I'd guess he'd burn Federer, Murray AND Djokovic in a pure sprint.

Nole and Murray probably about the same, in fact since people call Murray ThickLegs I might even give the edge to him. To run fast you need muscle.

Clydey
02-04-2012, 06:02 PM
The only attribute Nole has worth mentioning amongst the general conditioning of tennis players athletically is good flexibility.

If Nole's body was wired for a pure sprint he'd look like an olympic sprinter - or at least more like Nadal. Have you ever seen an olympic sprinter? They're jacked. All that fast-twitch explosive muscle power. Nole looks positively manorexic by comparison. He's more built for a marathon.

Nadal is already MUCH less jacked than olympic sprinters, but I'd guess he'd burn Federer, Murray AND Djokovic in a pure sprint.

Nole and Murray probably about the same, in fact since people call Murray ThickLegs I might even give the edge to him. To run fast you need muscle.

I didn't say they were Olympic level sprinters. I was comparing the top 4 in a sprint. Murray, in my opinion, is a slower runner than the likes of Rafa and Nole, but he has better anticipation. He's also a very explosive mover. He accelerates quickly, but certainly doesn't have Nadal's top speed.

out_grinder
02-04-2012, 06:21 PM
I didn't say they were Olympic level sprinters. I was comparing the top 4 in a sprint. Murray, in my opinion, is a slower runner than the likes of Rafa and Nole, but he has better anticipation. He's also a very explosive mover. He acclerates quickly, but certainly doesn't have Nadal's top speed.

Well that's not good for Murray, because Nadal and Djokovic can always learn to anticipate better but Murray can't learn to run faster!!

Clydey
02-04-2012, 06:24 PM
Well that's not good for Murray, because Nadal and Djokovic can always learn to anticipate better but Murray can't learn to run faster!!

Actually, it's pretty much the other way around. Anticipation is innate. You don't learn to anticipate better when you're 25/26.