Cincinnati v Indianapolis [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Cincinnati v Indianapolis

Panic23
07-22-2009, 12:10 AM
Never realized how much difference two weeks make in tennis Strongest Playing Field in Cincinnati Tennis History Announced (http://www.cincytennis.com/Global/News/2009/07/Strongest_Playing_Field_in_Cincinnati_Tennis_Histo ry_Announce.aspx)

"Only 44 men and 45 women are given direct acceptance into each singles draw, and the last man on the preliminary list is ranked No. 44 while the last woman is ranked No. 49. '

and

"The women kick off play first, and 18 of the top 20 are in the field, led by world No. 1 Dinara Safina as well as Serena Williams ... They will be joined by former world No. 1 Kim Clijsters who is making her return to the Sony Ericsson WTA Tour in Cincinnati.

The men’s tournament is equally stacked, with French Open and Wimbledon champion and newly re-seated world No. 1 Roger Federer looking to add a third Cincinnati title. No. 2 Rafael Nadal... Andy Roddick ... No. 3 Andy Murray .. Novak Djokovic , and fan favorite James Blake (who are these fans and why is he a favorite?)

That's a US Open field.

It also has a better TV schedule:

8/10 - 8/16Western & Southern Financial Group Women's OpenThurs 8/13 5:00 - 9:00 pm Tennis Channel

Fri 8/14 5:00 - 7:00 pm ESPN2
9:00 pm - 1:00 am Tennis Channel

Sat 8/15 1:00 - 3:00 pm ESPN2
11:00 pm - 1:00 am Tennis Channel

Sun 8/16 4:00 - 6:00 pm ESPN2
8:00 - 9:30 pm Tennis Channel

Chip_s_m
07-22-2009, 12:43 AM
Players are required to play Cincinnati and not Indianapolis. Cincinnati also awards 4 times as many ranking points and probably at least a similar ratio of prize money.

Panic23
07-22-2009, 01:30 AM
Players are required to play Cincinnati and not Indianapolis. Cincinnati also awards 4 times as many ranking points and probably at least a similar ratio of prize money.

Thanks Chip. What other events are they required to play in?

FedEXpress91
07-22-2009, 01:31 AM

yup since cinci is a master 1000 event all the top players want to play it, also indy is in july a time period in which again most of the top players are vacationing and resting up after a brutal clay court and grass season whereas cinci is basically the warmup for the USO and players want to workout all the kinks before they head for the final slam of the year.

Panic23
07-22-2009, 01:33 AM
yup since cinci is a master 1000 event all the top players want to play it, also cinci is in july a time period in which again most of the top players are vacationing and resting up after a brutal clay court and grass season.

Just getting back into the ATP, thanks for the info. I figured they needed a bit of rest - the Davis Cup schedule is stupid.

Indy is in July, Cincy is in August.

FedEXpress91
07-22-2009, 01:44 AM
Thanks Chip. What other events are they required to play in?

Just getting back into the ATP, thanks for the info. I figured they needed a bit of rest - the Davis Cup schedule is stupid.

Indy is in July, Cincy is in August.

yup my bad i fixed it, as to your first question i believe the top players are required to play the 4 grand slams the 10 masters 1000 tournaments and also 4 other optional atp 500 or 250 tournaments, i know that some players don't play there 4 optionals a year an example being fed and i think they get a zero point penalty in the rankings.

dam0dred
07-22-2009, 02:12 AM
The top players receive significant financial penalties if they don't come to all the 1000 Series events.

Indy comes just on the eve of two of these mandatory events (Canada and Cincy), it's not a surprise no one wants to play there.

Panic23
07-22-2009, 03:29 AM
Thanks guys.

Has to suck to be a tennis fan in Indy then. Way back when (1978 or so) my friends were ball boys for a tournament in New Orleans, Borg, McEnroe, Gerulaitis, and I think Connors. Pretty cool stuff.

niezubayern1
07-22-2009, 03:59 AM
yeah, the ATP really set the Indy tournament up for failure when they moved it from August to July a few years ago. Indy went from being played two weeks before the open when all the top players from around the world were already in the states, to now being played two weeks after wimbledon and one week after davis cup. Pretty much an impossible situation, really a shame.