Wild Cards (results in post #74) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Wild Cards (results in post #74)

smucav
07-21-2009, 04:34 PM
Main Draw
1 Britton, Devin USA (2009 NCAA champion)
2 Buchanan, Chase USA (2009 Kalamazoo champion)
3 Dent, Taylor USA
4 Evans, Brendan USA
5 Levine, Jesse USA
6 Sweeting, Ryan USA (replaces Ram)
7 Llodra, Michael FRA (FFT)
8 Guccione, Chris AUS (TA)

Qualifying
1 Domijan, Alexander USA
2 Harrison, Ryan USA
3 Lipman, Ryan USA (2009 Kalamazoo finalist)
4 Smyczek, Tim USA
5 Strode, Blake USA
6 Venus, Michael USA
7 Cox, Jordan USA (replaces Jenkins)
8 McClune, Michael USA (replaces Dimitrov)
9 Sandgren, Tennys USA (replaces Cook)

Doubles
1 GINEPRI, Robby USA/JENKINS, Scoville USA
2 MARTIN, David USA/YOUNG, Donald USA
3 HARRISON, Ryan USA/VAN’T HOF, Kaes USA
4 ODESNIK, Wayne USA/SHABAZ, Michael USA
5 LEVINE, Jesse USA/SWEETING, Ryan USA
6 EVANS, Brendan USA/KUZNETSOV, Alex USA
7 Nguyen, Daniel USA/Sundling, J.T. USA (2009 Kalamazoo champions)

DartMarcus
07-27-2009, 07:06 AM
WC for Dent and Levine for sure. Also some youngster (Harrison, Britton or Cox)
Other contenders: Ram, Spadea, Russel, Reynolds, Young, Yani, Warburg, Evans, Kuznetsov, Sweeting, Delic, Jenkins, Bogomolov, De Heart.
What expectations?

CooCooCachoo
07-28-2009, 08:16 AM
Rajeev should really be getting one, but might well sneak into the MD directly. Kuznetsov is a good contender considering his form. Many good players are vying for a spot this year though.

chowdahead25
07-28-2009, 08:20 AM
Yani prolly. Warburg isnt looking good:(

niezubayern1
07-29-2009, 05:47 AM
I agree, Rajeev has definitely played well enough to earn one of the wild cards. I'd be disapointed if they overlook him this year.

pasquale
07-29-2009, 05:48 PM
What's their approach on giving a WC for last year's Junior champion? In this case it is Grigor Dimitrov and there was some talk about him getting a WC for either the MD or the qualies, but I am not sure if there are any rules or established practices.

Hurley
07-29-2009, 11:32 PM
ITF RULE: Junior champ guaranteed qualifying wild card.

MD wild card is up to the discretion of the tournament.

SHB
07-30-2009, 06:31 AM
I expect Ram to get one if he doesn't make the cutoff. Britton, Harrison, Levine and the Kalamazoo champ (likely Domijan or Cox) will get wild cards. The other two (or one, depending on Ram) will be between Evans, Sweeting, Kuznetsov, and Dent. How they perform in the next couple weeks could decide it. I think Evans is the most likely of the four too get one.

Michael Bluth
07-31-2009, 03:30 PM
If I had to pick, I'd choose Ram, Levine, Harrison, Britton and either Sweeting or Dent(or both if Ram gets in the main draw).

As for the two foreign WCs, I imagine the French will pick Ouanna and the Australians either Guccione or Tomic.

10K Futures Qualifier
07-31-2009, 08:19 PM
Stephen Bass will get a qualifying wild card... I am going with him to the U.S. Open!

Chip_s_m
08-01-2009, 07:12 AM
Here's who I hope gets the remaining 5:

Levine
Evans
Sweeting
Kuznetsov
Harrison

Competition for a WC this year is extremely tight. At this point, I think the only guaranteed recipient is Levine. I also think Evans will probably get one because of his ranking. He's won two challengers this year, reached the final of another, got to the quarters of Newport, and is at his career high ranking of 130. He's steadily improved his ranking from last year. All of this is enough for a WC in my opinion. He always seems to be under the radar, though.

Sweeting has a really good shot in my opinion. He's at his career-high ranking of 155 (which will be better next week), has had good challenger results, and just played Querrey very closely in Indianapolis. He's still way too inconsistent but it looks like that's improved somewhat. I'd be bummed if he didn't get one.

I would also give one to Kuznetsov. He seems a lot like Sweeting since he's so inconsistent. His ranking is a little lower, but it's improved a lot in the past few months with a number of good challenger results. One more and I bet he's a lock. As of now I think it's a toss-up, although I hope he gets one.

I'd give the fifth one to Harrison, especially if he gets another good result soon. He's just got so much potential, has a couple wins in challengers, and dominated a futures tournament. You know he'll fight hard against whoever he draws.

I'm assuming Ram will get in directly. I love Dent and feel for him because of his tough history. However, he's been back for almost a year and still isn't ranked as highly as Levine, Evans, or Sweeting. I would be ok with him getting one instead of Harrison, especially if Ryan doesn't get any other good results this summer, but I prefer to give WCs to young players.

As of now, I feel that there are better candidates than Britton and especially Cox. If they can put together a nice run in a challenger or win an ATP match then sure, but neither has had particularly impressive pro results yet. I think they'll be fine, but there's a lot of quality WC candidates this year and they'll get plenty of appropriate-level competition in qualies. Britton isn't guaranteed one because he was NCAA champion (this is a misconception, including by him). I'm all for it if he gets a good win or two in the next few weeks, though. Same goes for Domijan if he can do well in Washington.

Don't count Young out either if he gets out of his megaslump with some solid wins soon (like beating Hewitt in DC). He's still young and we know from two years ago that he can play well, so I'm not giving up on him (but he needs to grow up). However, if he doesn't do anything impressive soon I'd be really disappointed if he gets one. There are so many people playing better right now, not to mention being a lot less snotty.

SHB
08-01-2009, 08:08 PM
Chip, I disagree about Britton. He's a stone-cold lock. NCAA champ, Junior U.S. Open runner-up, Wimbledon semifinalist, Roehampton champ, respectable performances against Ram and Bogomolov ... he's in. The fact that he just served as a Davis Cup practice partner also bodes well for him. You can carve it in stone. And I don't think he's misinformed about whether the NCAA winner automatically gets a wild card. He just knows that it makes him a virtual lock.

Giving a wild card to Young would be almost indefensible at this point. If he wins a few ATP matches between now and the Open, it's possible, but that would be a minor miracle.

Chip_s_m
08-01-2009, 09:26 PM
Giving a wild card to Young would be almost indefensible at this point. If he wins a few ATP matches between now and the Open, it's possible, but that would be a minor miracle.

Agreed. My point is that if he can pull off some good wins then he's back in the running.

Chip, I disagree about Britton. He's a stone-cold lock. NCAA champ, Junior U.S. Open runner-up, Wimbledon semifinalist, Roehampton champ, respectable performances against Ram and Bogomolov ... he's in. The fact that he just served as a Davis Cup practice partner also bodes well for him. You can carve it in stone. And I don't think he's misinformed about whether the NCAA winner automatically gets a wild card. He just knows that it makes him a virtual lock.

You're probably right that he will get one. I wasn't arguing with that, just stating that at this point there are, in my opinion, better candidates who have performed better at the pro level. I think he's great and hope that he lives up to his potential. However, I think Levine, Evans, Sweeting, and even Kuznetsov are more deserving based on their pro results. The competition in qualies is more appropriate for his level right now.

Here's who I think will get one (as supposed to who I think should get one in my other post):

Levine
Evans
Sweeting
Harrison
Britton

As for NCAA champs getting a lock, well we don't have much to go off of recently since an American hasn't actually won it since 2003 (Delic, who did get a WC). Non-American champions haven't received one, but that's not much of a surprise. The other top American college players who are straight out of college who have received WCs had already put up good pro results. In 2007, Isner reached the Washington final and Levine had won two MD matches at Delray. Both received WCs. Sweeting received one in 2006, but he had won an ATP-level match and a futures tournament. Britton hasn't won either an ATP or Challenger level match, and has only ever won 2 matches at the futures level. I also don't think the competition for WCs was as strong in these years as it was this year. I don't think the NCAA title by itself would get him one based on his results so far. Combined with his junior results, however, I think you're right that he will get one.

On a side note, Harrison has withdrawn from Kalamzoo and injury wasn't cited as the reason. Perhaps he is anticipating a MD WC or has already been told by the USTA that he'll get one. Of course, he could just not be very interested in playing much junior tennis.

SHB
08-01-2009, 09:46 PM
Agreed. My point is that if he can pull off some good wins then he's back in the running.

You're probably right that he will get one. I wasn't arguing with that, just stating that at this point there are, in my opinion, better candidates who have performed better at the pro level. I think he's great and hope that he lives up to his potential. However, I think Levine, Evans, Sweeting, and even Kuznetsov are more deserving based on their pro results. The competition in qualies is more appropriate for his level right now.

Here's who I think will get one (as supposed to who I think should get one in my other post):

Levine
Evans
Sweeting
Harrison
Britton

As for NCAA champs getting a lock, well we don't have much to go off of recently since an American hasn't actually won it since 2003 (Delic, who did get a WC). Non-American champions haven't received one, but that's not much of a surprise. The other top American college players who are straight out of college who have received WCs had already put up good pro results. In 2007, Isner reached the Washington final and Levine had won two MD matches at Delray. Both received WCs. Sweeting received one in 2006, but he had won an ATP-level match and a futures tournament. Britton hasn't won either an ATP or Challenger level match, and has only ever won 2 matches at the futures level. I also don't think the competition for WCs was as strong in these years as it was this year. I don't think the NCAA title by itself would get him one based on his results so far. Combined with his junior results, however, I think you're right that he will get one.

On a side note, Harrison has withdrawn from Kalamzoo and injury wasn't cited as the reason. Perhaps he is anticipating a MD WC or has already been told by the USTA that he'll get one. Of course, he could just not be very interested in playing much junior tennis.

I inferred from your comment that Levine was the only guaranteed recepient that you didn't think Britton was a lock. I think he's more of a lock than Levine. Other guys would probably be more competitive than Britton, but his youth will outweigh that consideration, and I think it should.

I don't think winning the NCAAs necessarily assures you a wild card, but if you're 18 and have even just couple other impressive results (and you're an American), you're in.

As for Harrison, it likely has been conveyed to him that he'll be given a wild card. Even if he hasn't been given any assurances, it's only a small gamble. The chances of him not getting one are slim.

You mentioned Domijan in your previous post. I agree that he could conceivably steal someone's wild card if he wins this week's Futures and backs it up with a win or two in Washington. That could result in him withdrawing from or missing Kalamazoo, thus assuring a wild card for a junior not named Britton, Harrison, or Domijan. Then potentially you're looking at four of the six American wild cards going to juniors. I don't expect Domijan to pull it off, but it's not beyond the realm of possibility.

Michael Bluth
08-02-2009, 03:32 PM
I don't think Domijan is likely for a MD WC unless he wins Kalamazoo(and with Harrison out he is now the main favorite to do that IMO). However if he wins a match in DC this week he could be a contender for one.

SHB
08-02-2009, 09:55 PM
Domijan retired up 7-6, 5-5 in the final of the Godfrey Futures. Bummer. It could have been his first title. Now we'll have to see if he's able to play Washington and/or Kalamazoo.

smucav
08-04-2009, 03:54 PM
Kalamazoo (USTA Boys' 18 & 16 National Tennis Championships) draws: August 7-16, 2009
http://ustaboys.com/draws.html

http://www.playerdevelopment.usta.com/content/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=110787&itype=7419USTA Hard Court National Championships: Wild Card Awarded

Boys’ 18’s Singles Champion: Singles Main Draw US Open & Singles Main Draw US Open Juniors*

Boys’ 18’s Doubles Champions: Doubles Main Draw US Open & Doubles Main Draw US Open Juniors*

Boys’ 18’s Singles Finalist: Singles Qualifying US Open

Boys’ 16’s Singles Champion: Singles Main Draw US Open Juniors

Players must play with the same doubles partner to receive the doubles Wild Cards. Players are expected to play the US Open Juniors if they receive a Wild Card into the US Open.

* Players must be age eligible by ITF Rules to receive the Wild Card allocated to this event.

Foosimoo
08-05-2009, 08:07 AM
I used to play at the same club as Wesley Barrett who is in the 18's and we played last year in high school tennis (he beat me 6-4 6-2). Kinda cool :p

duong
08-06-2009, 12:16 PM
Is it impossible for a non-American (and apart from the players who come from countries with another slam) to get a WC here ?

As Baghdatis is not in the direct entry-list.

Moreover some say that he has asked a WC for New Haven, which would mean he could not take part in the USO qualies.

I know Britton and Harrison are greatly promising players (in many years :lol: ), but yet, does Marcos have any chance ?

smucav
08-06-2009, 03:49 PM
Is it impossible for a non-American (and apart from the players who come from countries with another slam) to get a WC here ?Kim Clijsters was awarded a wild card several months ago.

chowdahead25
08-09-2009, 07:51 AM
What do you guys think are Baggys chances at a WC?

smucav
08-09-2009, 03:25 PM
Patrick McEnroe (in Washington):

Marcos Baghdatis: no chance
Ryan Harrison: qualifying wild card
Blake Strode: consideration for qualifying wild card
remaining wild cards: most are decided, only significant results in the next few weeks would change his mind

Darren Cahill (in Washington):

TA wild card will likely go to Carsten Ball; only other player under consideration by TA is Chris Guccione

Smoke944
08-10-2009, 12:30 AM
Patrick McEnroe (in Washington):

Marcos Baghdatis: no chance
Ryan Harrison: qualifying wild card
Blake Strode: consideration for qualifying wild card
remaining wild cards: most are decided, only significant results in the next few weeks would change his mind

Darren Cahill (in Washington):

TA wild card will likely go to Carsten Ball; only other player under consideration by TA is Chris Guccione

Is that McEnroe's opinions or what has been decided on?

chowdahead25
08-10-2009, 12:34 AM
Hopefully just his opinion..

Marcos :sad:

smucav
08-10-2009, 02:48 AM
Is that McEnroe's opinions or what has been decided on?One & the same

GlennMirnyi
08-10-2009, 04:54 PM
Why should Fatdatis get a WC? He's never done anything decent at the USO. He's a clown, as well.

Ad Wim
08-11-2009, 11:45 AM
So no Main Draw WC for Harrison :sad:

Wrong decision imo, you should always give real youth priority over a guy like Sweeting or Kuznetsov.

duong
08-11-2009, 03:22 PM

Wrong decision imo, you should always give real youth priority over a guy like Sweeting or Kuznetsov.

I guess such a young player learns better in qualifyings

Snowwy
08-11-2009, 10:33 PM

Sweeting deserves it 1000 times more at this point, have you ever watched or followed him at all?

Smoke944
08-11-2009, 11:10 PM
Sweeting deserves it 1000 times more at this point, have you ever watched or followed him at all?

QWC for Ryan seems like a very logical and solid choice at this point. The only really young American that I think could get one is Britton. He is an American that won the NCAA title (this used to make it an automatic), had solid scorelines against good players, and is also strong physically at this point. Sweeting for sure will get one, he still has puzzling losses and can be terrible mentally at times, but he's definitely got substantial talent. I don't feel like pondering who will get the rest right now :p
The only thing I wonder about is if Ryan thought he had a MD WC for sure, and because of this skipped Kalamazoo.

Michael Bluth
08-12-2009, 11:29 PM
Only a couple more withdrawals now stand between Ram and the main draw, if he gets in I think the list should be:

Britton
Levine
Evans
Sweeting
Kuznetsov or Dent.

Heners
08-13-2009, 10:46 AM
Peter Luczak

CooCooCachoo
08-13-2009, 02:34 PM
Only a couple more withdrawals now stand between Ram and the main draw, if he gets in I think the list should be:

Britton
Levine
Evans
Sweeting
Kuznetsov or Dent.

What have Evans and Sweeting done this year to deserve it over Kuznetsov?

duong
08-13-2009, 02:40 PM

Since the beginning of the year, Evans got 347 points (number 102 in the Race, partly because he won a challenger in Noumea in january), Sweeting 244, Kuznetsov 204.

I guess they are not far from each other :shrug: , not far in age too.

Kuznetsov may be more talented, but apart from that :shrug:

I'm rather surprised about Britton who has done nothing on the mens's tour :lol:

Harrison would be better (he just qualified in Binghamton challenger and has been quite regular since he came back from injury), but I guess they're prisoners of an internal rule :shrug:

CooCooCachoo
08-13-2009, 03:48 PM
Since the beginning of the year, Evans got 347 points (number 102 in the Race, partly because he won a challenger in Noumea in january), Sweeting 244, Kuznetsov 204.

I guess they are not far from each other :shrug: , not far in age too.

Kuznetsov may be more talented, but apart from that :shrug:

I'm rather surprised about Britton who has done nothing on the mens's tour :lol:

Harrison would be better (he just qualified in Binghamton challenger and has been quite regular since he came back from injury), but I guess they're prisoners of an internal rule :shrug:

Evans has had a very disappointing season after a good start though. He is very, very inconsistent and has had some WCs already. I think the USTA should sort of let him try on his own; he's been given sufficient help as it is. I like him, but he belongs in qualies this year.

Alex has had a horrible start to the year, but he has really turned it around quite well. Reached the final in Lexington and Savannah, won in Winnetka.

Ryan's progress hasn't been as rapid as I thought it would have been. Out of the three, I think he has the most potential, but that doesn't mean that much. But at the same time, I think he has a good record when he has been given WCs.

Ozone
08-14-2009, 12:05 AM
NCAA champ Britton will definitely get one. I'd say Levine, Sweeting, Russel, Dent, and if Ram doesn't get a D.E. then Spadea/Young. Those are the other top contenders.

Ozone
08-14-2009, 12:08 AM
I don't think Evans will get one, unless they just look down the rankings list. But Sweeting has showed well in a few ATP events. Has Kuznetsov done that?? I don't think so. Just good challengers for Kuz.

Chip_s_m
08-14-2009, 01:37 AM
Evans made the quarters of Newport beating a top 50 player (Becker) and Ginepri. Both those guys have won titles this year. He's won two challengers this year and made the final of another. His ranking is just as high as anyone else in contention (Levine and he have been trading spots recently). Yes, he is inconsistent from day-to-day, but he has steadily improved his ranking 45 spots since the start of the year (173 to 128). Fish, Blake, Ginepri, and any number of top 100 players are inconsistent from day-to-day, too. If he doesn't deserve a WC despite all of his successes then what does he need to do? If he had any more accomplishments he would've been ranked high enough to get in directly.

I would be shocked (and unhappy) if Russell gets one. He's a good guy and has been playing well lately, but he's just too old at this point. Ditto Dent but to a lesser extent, and he's not even ranked as high. Too many strong young candidates this year to give these guys WC's this year.

Chip_s_m
08-14-2009, 02:17 AM
Interestingly, Dent has a WC into New Haven, suggesting that he's probably not planning to play USO qualies. Either he knows he's getting a WC or isn't going to play the open.

SHB
08-16-2009, 09:39 PM
Chase Buchanan won Kalamazoo to clinch a wild card.

SHB
08-16-2009, 09:40 PM
NCAA champ Britton will definitely get one. I'd say Levine, Sweeting, Russel, Dent, and if Ram doesn't get a D.E. then Spadea/Young. Those are the other top contenders.

You can scratch Russell and Spadea off that list. I doubt they're considered for even a second.

smucav
08-16-2009, 10:25 PM
http://www.playerdevelopment.usta.com/content/fullstory.sps?iNewsid=110787&itype=7419

Main Draw: Chase Buchanan (Kalamazoo champion)
Qualifying: Ryan Lipman (Kalamazoo finalist)
Doubles: Daniel Nguyen/J.T. Sundling (Kalamazoo champions)

duong
08-17-2009, 05:48 PM
Evans has had a very disappointing season after a good start though. He is very, very inconsistent and has had some WCs already. I think the USTA should sort of let him try on his own; he's been given sufficient help as it is. I like him, but he belongs in qualies this year.

As Chip_s_m said, Evans has much improved his best ranking this year (and he's very close to top-100 in the Race), I wonder why you say it's very disappointing :confused:

it's true he's been disappointing last two months, but before ...

Ryan's progress hasn't been as rapid as I thought it would have been. Out of the three, I think he has the most potential, but that doesn't mean that much. But at the same time, I think he has a good record when he has been given WCs.

From what I heard, Harrison has been injured since the end of last year until the middle of this year.

And he's won 52 ranking points since the beginning of the year whereas Britton (who is one year older) has won ... 0 :o (lost his 4 matches in the men's tour :lol: )

Smoke944
08-17-2009, 10:34 PM
And he's won 52 ranking points since the beginning of the year whereas Britton (who is one year older) has won ... 0 :o (lost his 4 matches in the men's tour :lol: )

Ryan Sweeting, not Harrison ;)

Timbo
08-18-2009, 04:04 AM
Guccione has been given the TA wildcard. Bad luck for Ball.

US Open wildcards for Rogowska and Guccione

Wildcards into the main draw of the US Open were today awarded to Victorians Olivia Rogowska and Chris Guccione.

Eighteen-year-old Olivia Rogowska, a member of the AIS Pro Tour program, has rocketed up the rankings this year, this month reaching a career high of 169, after finishing 2008 ranked world No.491.

In May, Rogowska made the most of her wildcard into the maindraw of the French Open with a stunning 6-4 6-4 win over former world No.18, Maria Kirilenko, before losing in the second round to Kateryna Bondarenko in three sets.

Rogowska won two tough three-set matches at Wimbledon qualifying before falling in the final round.

Since January Rogowska has been working with AIS Pro Tour coach Chris Johnstone. After the US Open she will return to Australia to compete on the Pro Tour.

Optus Australian Davis Cup player Chris Guccione has been steadily working his way back towards the top 100, completing a clean sweep at the Comerica Bank Challenger tournament in California in July, winning his fourth career Challenger title.

Seeded No.7, Guccione registered wins over South African world No.106 Wayne Odesnik and Indian Somdev Devvarman on his march to the final, which he won 6-3 6-4 over fellow Australian Nick Lindahl.

In doubles he teamed with compatriot Carsten Ball to upset top seeds Sanchai and Sonchyat Ratiwatana 6-3 6-2 in the doubles final.

This week Guccione qualifed for the Cincinatti Masters, defeating No.5 seed Andrey Golubev (KAZ) and No.8 seed Robert Kendrick (USA). In the first round he meets world No.23 German Philipp Kohlschreiber. The pair has met just once before, with Kohlschrieber winning in Adelaide in 2006.

Optus Australian Davis Cup Captain, John Fitzgerald, and coach, Todd Woodbridge, will work with Guccione on his US Open preparation and during the tournament. “Gooch” will then head home to Melbourne for a training block with Woodbridge at Melbourne Park, with the pair then heading to events in Thailand and Japan.

As part of Woodbridge’s full time Davis Cup role, he will coach and mentor team members and work with them at selected major events and in training blocks during the year.

“Tennis Australia is delighted to award US Open wildcards to Olivia and Chris,” Tennis Australia’s Director of Tennis, Craig Tiley said today.

“Olivia has continued to improve this year, achieving some excellent results and successfully making the transition to the professional circuit.

“It has also been fantastic to see Chris back in form and winning important matches. We wish both Olivia and Chris all the very best in New York.”

The US Open takes place from August 31 to September 13 2009.

chowdahead25
08-18-2009, 04:11 AM
Dammit. Wish Ball got it.

How many ATP finals does Gooch have this year?

One less than Ball.

Foosimoo
08-18-2009, 07:19 AM
Ok I have to know you. Did he play at Cary Tennis Park? I am pretty sure I've seen Wesley play. If not, I have played in many tourneys he has played in for sure. Do you play tourneys at CTP?

He did indeed. I stopped playing USTA tournaments a couple of years ago. After playing like 30 a year for 4 years straight I was just burnt out.

duong
08-18-2009, 09:42 AM
Ryan Sweeting, not Harrison ;)

I don't know what you mean but it's Harrison who won 52 points on the men's tour this year (including futures of course), whereas Britton won 0 (he lost his only match in futures).

Sweeting won far more ATP points than that (244)

EDIT : I understand now :o , you mean Coocoocachoo was speaking about Sweeting, OK.

But I wanted to mention that about Harrison comparing to Britton.

Filipo
08-18-2009, 08:52 PM
WC to Grigor Dimitrov for qualifying

Smoke944
08-19-2009, 10:15 PM
Wild Cards announced:
Main Draw:
Devin Britton
Chase Buchanan
Taylor Dent
Brendan Evans
Jesse Levine
Rajeev Ram
Chris Guccione (trade with Australia)
TBD (trade with France)

Qualifying Draw
Lester Cook
Grigor Dimitrov
Alex Domijan
Ryan Harrison
Scoville Jenkins
Ryan Lipman
Tim Smyczek
Blake Strode
Michael Venus

Ram will in all likelihood still get in, so it will be interesting to see who that WC goes to.

No Sweeting or Kuznetsov, USTA cracks me up :help: :help: :silly:
I'd think Sweeting will probably Ram's when he gets in.

Ozone
08-19-2009, 10:23 PM
Yani didn't get one!:( And I guess Sweeting can get in directly since they didn't give him one??

Ozone
08-19-2009, 10:24 PM
Dammit. Wish Ball got it.

How many ATP finals does Gooch have this year?

One less than Ball.
Who cares Ball had 1 lucky tournament run?? You know how he followed that up? 2 1st round losses in challengers. I am glad the USO didn't give Ball one hence that he has lived in the States his whole life and is considered an Aussie.:p

TMJordan
08-19-2009, 10:51 PM
Sweeting is better than all of those American WC's except for Levine. What a joke for him not to get one. How stupid is the USTA? very.

Smoke944
08-19-2009, 11:00 PM
Sweeting is better than all of those American WC's except for Levine. What a joke for him not to get one. How stupid is the USTA? very.

I'll humor you ;)
Devin Britton- American that won the NCAA singles title as an early-enrolled freshman, all you need to know.
Chase Buchanan- Won Nats at the Zoo
Taylor Dent- Debatable, comeback has gone decently overall but he's not playing as well lately.
Brendan Evans- Also debatable, 23 is getting up there and he has so many puzzling losses. Progress has been steady, though.
Jesse Levine- Obvious
Rajeev Ram- Should get direct entry, as I said before this will likely go to Sweeting.

smucav
08-19-2009, 11:24 PM
http://www.usta.com/sitecore/content/USTA/Global/Pro_Tennis/Grand_Slams/US_Open/PressRelease/2009/2009_US_Open_mens_wild_card_recipients_named.aspxU STA
2009 US Open Men's Wild Card Recipients Named
Wednesday, August 19, 2009 9:05 PM

A talented group of Americans consisting of Devin Britton (Jackson, Miss.), Chase Buchanan (New Albany, Ohio), Taylor Dent (Newport Beach, Calif.), Brendan Evans (Key Biscayne, Fla.), Jesse Levine (Boca Raton, Fla.) and Rajeev Ram (Carmel, Ind.), along with two international players including Australian Chris Guccione and Frenchman Michael Llodra, have been awarded men’s singles main draw wild card entries into the 2009 US Open Tennis Championships. The 2009 US Open will be played August 31 – September 13 at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Flushing, N.Y.

Both the men’s and women’s US Open singles champions will earn $1.6 million with the ability to earn an additional $1 million in bonus prize money (for a total potential payout of $2.6 million) based on their performance in the 2009 Olympus US Open Series. In addition, both US Open singles champions will receive a new 2010 Lexus IS Convertible.

Britton, 18, of Jackson, Miss., burst onto the tennis scene by reaching the 2008 US Open boys’ final as a qualifier. After winning the doubles title at the Dunlop Orange Bowl in December, he enrolled at the University of Mississippi, where in May he became the youngest man ever to win the NCAA Division I singles title. Britton then returned to junior competition this summer, sweeping the singles and doubles titles at Roehampton, a Wimbledon warm-up, and then advancing to the semifinals of the Wimbledon juniors. He is currently No. 14 in the ITF World Junior Rankings.

Buchanan, 18, of New Albany, Ohio, earned his wild card into the 2009 US Open main draw by winning the USTA Boys’ 18s National Championships on Sunday. Last year, he won the Easter Bowl singles title and the USTA Boys’ 18s doubles title (earning a wild card into the 2008 US Open men’s doubles main draw with partner Ryan Harrison), and peaked at No. 6 in the ITF World Junior Rankings after reaching the singles quarterfinals and the doubles final at the Dunlop Orange Bowl. Buchanan went 17-7 (11-4 in singles) to help lead the Ohio State Buckeyes to the 2009 NCAA team final as a freshman.

Dent, 28, of Newport Beach, Calif., returned to the ATP World Tour briefly in 2008 after three back surgeries that forced him to miss two years and nearly ended his career. This year, he played in the main draw at the 2009 Australian Open, advanced to the fourth round in Miami and qualified for Wimbledon. Dent finished in the year-end Top 35 every year from 2003-05 and climbed to a career-high No. 21 in 2005. He advanced to the bronze medal match at the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens, and was a member of the U.S. Davis Cup team and reached the round of 16 at the US Open in 2003.

Evans, 23, of Key Biscayne, Fla., is currently ranked a career-high No. 122. He recently reached the quarterfinals at the ATP World Tour event in Newport, R.I. Also this year, Evans has won Challengers in Noumea, New Caledonia, and Nottingham, England, and he reached the final at the $50,000 USTA Pro Circuit event in Dallas and qualified for the ATP World Tour event in Indian Wells. In 2004, Evans and fellow American Scott Oudsema teamed to win three of the four Grand Slam junior doubles titles, including the US Open.

Levine, 21, of Boca Raton, Fla., broke into the Top 100 earlier this year and is currently ranked No. 112. He had his best Grand Slam showing at Wimbledon this summer, upsetting 14th-seeded Marat Safin and reaching the third round as a qualifier. In 2008, Levine was a quarterfinalist at Pilot Pen in New Haven, Conn., an Olympus US Open Series event, and reached the second round at both the Australian Open and Wimbledon. He played one year of college tennis, going 24-1 as a freshman at the University of Florida in 2007

Ram, 25, of Carmel, Ind., is currently ranked No. 121. He won his first ATP World Tour title this summer at the Campbell’s Hall of Fame Tennis Championships, in Newport, R.I., after receiving a “lucky loser” spot into the main draw, defeating Sam Querrey in the final and also winning the doubles title. On the USTA Pro Circuit, he has won 20 doubles titles and two singles titles. Ram played one semester at the University of Illinois in 2003 and won the NCAA doubles title.

Guccione, 24, of Australia, is ranked No. 124 and received his wild card through a reciprocal agreement with Tennis Australia, which will grant a men’s main draw wild card into the 2010 Australian Open to a player designated by the USTA. On this year’s USTA Pro Circuit, he swept the singles and doubles titles at the $75,000 Challenger event in Aptos, Calif.

An eighth player will also receive a main draw wild card through a reciprocal agreement with the French Tennis Federation, which granted a men’s draw wild card at the 2009 French Open to John Isner. (Isner was forced to withdraw due to illness.)

In addition to the eight US Open men’s singles main draw wild cards, the USTA also announced the nine men who have been awarded wild card entries into the US Open Qualifying Tournament, which will be held August 25-28 at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center.

Players receiving US Open qualifying wild cards are: Lester Cook (25, Sherman Oaks, Calif.), 2008 US Open boys’ singles champion Grigor Dimitrov (18, Bulgaria), Alexander Domijan (17, Wesley Chapel, Fla.), Ryan Harrison (17, Bradenton, Fla.), Scoville Jenkins (turns 23 on Sunday, Atlanta), 2009 USTA Boys’ 18s runner-up Ryan Lipman (18, Nashville, Tenn.), Tim Smyczek (21, Milwaukee, Wis.), Blake Strode (22, St. Louis) and Michael Venus (21, Orlando, Fla.). Strode and Venus are both members of the 2009 USTA Summer Collegiate Team.

The 2009 US Open will be held Monday, August 31 through Sunday, September 13. Tickets for the 2009 US Open can be purchased four ways: 1) at usopen.org; 2) by calling Ticketmaster at 1-866*OPEN-TIX; 3) at all Ticketmaster outlets; or 4) at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center box office. American Express is the Official Card of the US Open.

ImmzB
08-19-2009, 11:32 PM
What about the Doubles Wild-Cards?

Chip_s_m
08-19-2009, 11:59 PM
Who cares Ball had 1 lucky tournament run?? You know how he followed that up? 2 1st round losses in challengers. I am glad the USO didn't give Ball one hence that he has lived in the States his whole life and is considered an Aussie.:p

The Australian Tennis Federation determines which Aussie gets the WC, not the USO. Why does it bother you so much that Ball represents Australia and not the US?

Michael Bluth
08-20-2009, 04:25 AM
Ram is one withdrawal away from the main draw, will they reassign his wildcard if he gets in that way?

Chip_s_m
08-20-2009, 08:03 AM
Ram is one withdrawal away from the main draw, will they reassign his wildcard if he gets in that way?

Yes.

chowdahead25
08-20-2009, 03:06 PM
Any chance you guys think Baghdatis gets the reassigned WC? Still holdilng out hope :D

chavkev
08-20-2009, 11:42 PM
Am I missing something? Llodra seems an odd choice for the french to choose. A younger player would surely benefit more. Rufin or Jouan perhaps, or even Mannarino. Mind you wimbledon would still give Henman or Rusedski a MD Wild Card if they asked.

duong
08-21-2009, 09:36 AM
Am I missing something? Llodra seems an odd choice for the french to choose. A younger player would surely benefit more. Rufin or Jouan perhaps, or even Mannarino. Mind you wimbledon would still give Henman or Rusedski a MD Wild Card if they asked.

Llodra is not so old ... but well, I guess the decision is mainly because Llodra plays for the Davis Cup team and that's why he's important for the FFT.

Truc
08-21-2009, 10:09 AM
29 years old.
And he hasn't won 2 matches in a row since Marseille, not even in qualies.
But it's for the Davis Cup indeed, they said it very clearly.

Definitely not Jouan, chavkev, but Mannarino and Ouanna would have been the logical picks if the wild-card had been awarded according to the usual criteria (both quite young and better ranked than Llodra - #94 and #103).

chavkev
08-21-2009, 12:34 PM
Just seems a bit of a backwards move. The agreement that they have with the us and aussies offers great opportunities to develop French talent.

smucav
08-21-2009, 07:14 PM
Definitely not Jouan, chavkev, but Mannarino and Ouanna would have been the logical picks if the wild-card had been awarded according to the usual criteria (both quite young and better ranked than Llodra - #94 and #103).Mannarino & Ouanna may get in off the alternate list:
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=8869819&postcount=1

ESPN confirmed that Ryan Sweeting received the remaining main draw wild card (previously reserved for Ram).

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showpost.php?p=8869826&postcount=1

Ad Wim
08-21-2009, 07:32 PM
I'd rather go for Harrison instead of Britton, the rest are fine.

ImmzB
08-21-2009, 11:04 PM
Give Qureshi the Qualifying Wild-Card!

tennis fan474
08-21-2009, 11:47 PM
What about the Doubles Wild-Cards?

Qureshi/Hadad asked for one.
i don't know if they recived him.

ImmzB
08-21-2009, 11:57 PM
Qureshi/Hadad asked for one.
i don't know if they recived him.

Kool.

CooCooCachoo
08-24-2009, 02:08 PM
Wild Cards announced:
Main Draw:
Devin Britton
Chase Buchanan
Taylor Dent
Brendan Evans
Jesse Levine
Rajeev Ram
Chris Guccione (trade with Australia)
TBD (trade with France)

Qualifying Draw
Lester Cook
Grigor Dimitrov
Alex Domijan
Ryan Harrison
Scoville Jenkins
Ryan Lipman
Tim Smyczek
Blake Strode
Michael Venus

Ram will in all likelihood still get in, so it will be interesting to see who that WC goes to.

No Sweeting or Kuznetsov, USTA cracks me up :help: :help: :silly:
I'd think Sweeting will probably Ram's when he gets in.

No Kuznetsov :spit: :help:

Smoke944
08-24-2009, 11:22 PM
http://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/draws/qs/index.html?promo=leftnav
Gaudio is here, didn't realize he would be.
Final QWCs went to Cox, McClune, Sandgren. Fair choices.
Cox needs to start proving his Wimbledon wasn't a fluke, though.

smucav
08-24-2009, 11:29 PM
Cox Receives US Open Qualifying Spot:
http://www.tennisweek.com/news/fullstory.sps?inewsid=6638311

CooCooCachoo
08-25-2009, 03:51 PM
Expected QWC for Cox. Would have been a travesty if he hadn't been given one, really.

smucav
08-27-2009, 06:48 PM
Results of Wild Cards

Qualifying (3-9)

Domijan, Alexander USA
Q128: lost to GONZALEZ, Santiago MEX 67(4) 57

Harrison, Ryan USA
Q128: lost to ILHAN, Marsel TUR 46 60 57

Lipman, Ryan USA (2009 Kalamazoo finalist)
Q128: lost to MARCHENKO, Illya UKR 46 67(5)

Smyczek, Tim USA
Q128: d. [20] CLEMENT, Arnaud FRA 76(6) 76(4)
Q64: lost to KINDLMANN, Dieter GER 26 46

Strode, Blake USA
Q128: lost to [26] SIDORENKO, Alexandre FRA 36 16

Venus, Michael USA
Q128: d. FELDER, Marcel URU 76(5) 64
Q64: lost to LAPENTTI, Giovanni ECU 36 76(1) 36

Cox, Jordan USA (replaces Jenkins)
Q128: lost to [23] DE CHAUNAC, Sebastien FRA 16 26

McClune, Michael USA (replaces Dimitrov)
Q128: d. WIDOM, Todd USA 76(13) 26 64
Q64: lost to JENKINS, Scoville USA 36 46

Sandgren, Tennys USA (replaces Cook)
Q128: lost to BRZEZICKI, Juan Pablo ARG 46 36

Main Draw (3-8)

Britton, Devin USA (2009 NCAA champion)
R128: lost to [1] FEDERER, Roger SUI 16 36 57

Buchanan, Chase USA (2009 Kalamazoo champion)
R128: lost to [7] TSONGA, Jo-Wilfried FRA 06 26 16

Dent, Taylor USA
R128: d. LOPEZ, Feliciano ESP 46 76(6) 63 75
R64: d. NAVARRO, Ivan ESP 64 57 67(1) 75 76(9)
R32: lost to [2] MURRAY, Andy GBR 36 26 26

Evans, Brendan USA
R128: lost to ISTOMIN, Denis UZB 46 46 67(3)

Levine, Jesse USA
R128: d. GABASHVILI, Teimuraz RUS 75 61 62
R64: lost to [16] CILIC, Marin CRO 64 62 06 36 06

Sweeting, Ryan USA (replaces Ram)
R128: lost to [16] CILIC, Marin CRO 67(2) 46 67(4)

Llodra, Michael FRA (FFT)
R128: lost to KIEFER, Nicolas GER 36 46 46

Guccione, Chris AUS (TA)
R128: lost to CUEVAS, Pablo URU 46 67(4) 06

Doubles (2-7)

GINEPRI, Robby USA/JENKINS, Scoville USA
R64: lost to Oscar Hernandez ESP/Albert Montanes ESP 46 61 16

MARTIN, David USA/YOUNG, Donald USA
R64: lost to Michael Kohlmann GER/Rogier Wassen NED 67(3) 64 46

HARRISON, Ryan USA/VAN’T HOF, Kaes USA
R64: d. (6) Mariusz Fyrstenberg POL/Marcin Matkowski POL 63 67(10) 75
R32: lost to [ALT] Carsten Ball AUS/Chris Guccione AUS 76(5) 57 26

ODESNIK, Wayne USA/SHABAZ, Michael USA
R64: lost to John Isner USA/Sam Querrey USA 36 46

LEVINE, Jesse USA/SWEETING, Ryan USA
R64: d. Johan Brunstrom SWE/Jean-Julien Rojer AHO 64 75
R32: lost to (3) Mahesh BHUPATHI IND/Mark KNOWLES BAH 57 26

EVANS, Brendan USA/KUZNETSOV, Alex USA
R64: lost to Dusan Vemic SRB/Mischa Zverev GER 67(6) 57

Nguyen, Daniel USA/Sundling, J.T. USA (2009 Kalamazoo champions)
R64: lost to Maximo Gonzalez ARG/Juan Monaco ARG 63 26 16