Who was the last player to win 3 GS in a row in a calander season? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who was the last player to win 3 GS in a row in a calander season?

07-21-2009, 04:55 AM
Federer has won 3 GS in a row a couple of times (Wimbledon 05, US open 05, Aus open o6), (Wimbleton 06, US open 06, Aus Open 07), but always falling short at RG he has never won 3 in a row in one season.

He has the chance to achieve another epic streak this year. His first chance to do this.

Who was the last player to do it?
Has it ever been done outside the famous calander year GS?

lessthanjake
07-21-2009, 05:18 AM
No one has ever done it outside of Laver because the only people to have won RG and Wimbledon in the same season are Federer, Nadal, Borg, and Laver. Nadal didn't win three in a row, and Borg never did either, as he never won a hard court slam. Federer has a chance to be the first since Laver.

It's kinda irrelevant though, as winning three in a row is the same however you do it IMO.

vamosinator
07-21-2009, 07:03 AM
Agassi made a good fist of it RG99 WimbledonFinal99 US99 AO2000.

luvly1
07-21-2009, 07:26 AM
Agassi made a good fist of it RG99 WimbledonFinal99 US99 AO2000.

agassi played in the wimbledon final but he didn't win it so his is the same as fed's and rafa's holding three slams at one time but no consecutive

vamosinator
07-21-2009, 07:42 AM
agassi played in the wimbledon final but he didn't win it so his is the same as fed's and rafa's holding three slams at one time but no consecutive

Yeah I know, thats why I said "he made a good fist of it" and that Wimbledon final was vs GOAT Sampras. Plus then Agassi beat Sampras in 2000 Australian Open semi. Definitely the greatest all-surface player ever Agassi, and his career was in the toughest claycourt era of all-time from the 90, 91 RG Finals he made to the 99 RG in which he beat Moya early on. Also a very tough grasscourt era obviously with Rafter, Goran, Sampras, Becker, Krajicek, Henman....

luvly1
07-21-2009, 08:05 AM
Yeah I know, thats why I said "he made a good fist of it" and that Wimbledon final was vs GOAT Sampras. Plus then Agassi beat Sampras in 2000 Australian Open semi. Definitely the greatest all-surface player ever Agassi, and his career was in the toughest claycourt era of all-time from the 90, 91 RG Finals he made to the 99 RG in which he beat Moya early on. Also a very tough grasscourt era obviously with Rafter, Goran, Sampras, Becker, Krajicek, Henman....

yeah but i dont understand why you would mention it because it does not answer the question....

vamosinator
07-21-2009, 08:15 AM
yeah but i dont understand why you would mention it because it does not answer the question....

Thats not up to you, unless you want to go around to every thread and warn others about what they should be posting. A lot of these threads can be answered with one post but go on for 5 pages, and far less relevant banter than my post. Plus Agassi was one match away from achieving 3 straight slams in one year, so it is highly relevant to the question in terms of the closest someone has come :wavey: