Serve and volley players [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Serve and volley players

KrisJB
07-20-2009, 10:02 AM
Just summing up, who plays serve&volley nowadays? I would include Taylor Dent, Rajeev Ram, Ivan Navarro, Nicolas Mahut, Radek Stepanek (most of the time). Who else?

orangehat
07-20-2009, 10:24 AM
Llodra a significant one you missed out.

samanosuke
07-20-2009, 11:08 AM
Dr. Ivo

Dini
07-20-2009, 11:22 AM
Lopez quite often. Ancic too.

oranges
07-20-2009, 11:36 AM
Zverev serve/volleys a lot too

ORGASMATRON
07-20-2009, 11:39 AM
Nadull

oranges
07-20-2009, 11:41 AM
Fish is no stranger to S/V also

adingh
07-20-2009, 11:53 AM
Prakash Armitraj
Fabrice Santoro

Juergen Melzer is a good serve&volleyer too.

leng jai
07-20-2009, 11:57 AM
Everyone else when they feel like tanking.

Har-Tru
07-20-2009, 11:58 AM
Navarro plays S&V? Sorry never seen him.

philosophicalarf
07-20-2009, 12:11 PM

Yeah - he can be interesting to watch when his game is on. He'll often try mix it up to ridiculous degrees - long slice, moonball, short slice, push to the corner, power to the other corner, moonball, net charge, retreat, knifed slice ....... and that's just one point. Really good accurate serve when it's working, but he's a bit stuffed when it's not.

ballbasher101
07-20-2009, 12:18 PM
The Gooch, aka Chris Guccione :rocker2:

Harmless
07-20-2009, 12:19 PM
Everyone else when they feel like tanking.

This.
:o

This is Sparta
07-20-2009, 01:11 PM
Max Mirnyi

Har-Tru
07-20-2009, 01:28 PM
Max Mirnyi

retired.

Caio_Brasil
07-20-2009, 02:29 PM

Even on clay matches.

dlk1992
07-20-2009, 02:41 PM
Haas.

ballbasher101
07-20-2009, 02:56 PM
Haas.

He did serve and volley a lot during Wimbledon but he normally plays from the baseline.

oranges
07-20-2009, 03:17 PM
He did serve and volley a lot during Wimbledon but he normally plays from the baseline.

I'd say he plays all-court, doesn't charge the net as often as in Wimbledon, but he does mix it in very often, not necessarily after serve. Same goes for Gasquet. The AO match with Gonzo was largely S/V, most of the time, it's more of a mix.

GlennMirnyi
07-20-2009, 03:59 PM
Fish is no stranger to S/V also

He's a stranger to winning points with S&Ving, though.

retired.

From singles.

illepingis
07-20-2009, 04:13 PM
Tsonga Santoro Darcis Kendrick Gulbis Muller Stakkhovsy

Roddickominator
07-20-2009, 04:14 PM
Oscar Hernandez, whenever he feels like trying.

kiwi10is
07-20-2009, 04:31 PM
Nicolas Kiefer

rocketassist
07-20-2009, 04:35 PM
Kiefer is more all-round type, as is Tsonga and Santoro.

Gulbis, Stakhovsky and Darcis? :haha:

I would add to the list Scoville Jenkins.

oranges
07-20-2009, 05:14 PM
He's a stranger to winning points with S&Ving, though.

As much as I enjoy a dig at the no-socks, he's still better off than waiting for that FH to be hammered :lol:

Picasso deserves a mention too.

MacTheKnife
07-20-2009, 05:22 PM
As much as I enjoy a dig at the no-socks, he's still better off than waiting for that FH to be hammered :lol:

Picasso deserves a mention too.

:haha: I always think that when I see Fish play, if only he could afford a complete pair of socks..

Burrow
07-20-2009, 05:27 PM
retired.

wrong

wlodar
07-20-2009, 05:37 PM
Mahut, Kendrick, Llodra, Muller, Felicano Lopez, Zverev, Niemeyer, Delic, Eaton, Navarro-Pastor, Ram, Van der Merwe, Guccione, Moodie, Dent, Oudsema, Wolmarans, and a lot of time: Dlouhy, Dancevic, Konig, King–Turner.

oranges
07-20-2009, 05:54 PM
:haha: I always think that when I see Fish play, if only he could afford a complete pair of socks..

I think he wants to show off the lady-like legs :lol:

Dougie
07-20-2009, 06:21 PM
Most of the players mentioned here are players who are capable of occasional s & v-tactic. But itīs something totally else to be a s & v- player, someone who comes to the net all the time, every time at every opportunity, and plays from the back only as long as he gets a chance to come to the net. Edberg was like this, so was Rafter and Mc Enroe. Llodra might be close to it, and Dent. But please, donīt mention names like Kiefer or Lopez as s & v-players.

MacTheKnife
07-20-2009, 07:11 PM
Most of the players mentioned here are players who are capable of occasional s & v-tactic. But itīs something totally else to be a s & v- player, someone who comes to the net all the time, every time at every opportunity, and plays from the back only as long as he gets a chance to come to the net. Edberg was like this, so was Rafter and Mc Enroe. Llodra might be close to it, and Dent. But please, donīt mention names like Kiefer or Lopez as s & v-players.

Exactly. But I guess if a guys comes in behind a serve once a year, he now gets classified as a S&Ver.

ballbasher101
07-20-2009, 07:38 PM
I'd say he plays all-court, doesn't charge the net as often as in Wimbledon, but he does mix it in very often, not necessarily after serve. Same goes for Gasquet. The AO match with Gonzo was largely S/V, most of the time, it's more of a mix.

PURE serve and volleyers are truly extinct. You are right in that Haas does mix it up, he is one of the few all court players left on the tour.

Har-Tru
07-20-2009, 07:52 PM
wrong

Right.

Unless we're talking doubles, which would be ridiculous.

miura
07-20-2009, 08:03 PM
Right.

Unless we're talking doubles, which would be ridiculous.
http://www.forumammo.com/cpg/albums/Upload/go%20away/Go-Away-Dont_go_mad.jpg

GlennMirnyi
07-21-2009, 12:28 AM

Agreed.

Most players mentioned here aren't real S&V players.

Some who were, like Steps, have stopped S&Ving on second serves.

Har-Tru
07-21-2009, 12:40 AM
http://www.forumammo.com/cpg/albums/Upload/go%20away/Go-Away-Dont_go_mad.jpg

you just follow me around, quote my posts and picspam for no particular reason. :lol: :smooch:

Xavier7
07-21-2009, 01:09 PM
Dick Norman :)

Nidhogg
07-21-2009, 01:15 PM
Unless you're Ivo Karlovic it's impossible to be a pure Serve & Volleyer today, so I don't see the problem mentioning guys that likes to come forward on a fairly regular basis. I'm not saying Ivo does it, but he could make a living coming in behind every serve.

As I recall Henri Kontinen played S&V on as good as every point in his match against Dimitrov in the Wimby Juniors last year.

Bobby
07-21-2009, 01:24 PM
Unless you're Ivo Karlovic it's impossible to be a pure Serve & Volleyer today, so I don't see the problem mentioning guys that likes to come forward on a fairly regular basis.

Don't really agree with you there. Some of us are old enough to remember the time when Edberg, Becker, Rafter and even McEnroe played. They had serve and volley game. Therefore it's impossible to consider players like Kiefer of Lopez SV players just because they might attack every now and then just to mix up the game. The definition of S&V won't change, even though it's not really used anymore.

Nidhogg
07-21-2009, 01:31 PM
Don't really agree with you there. Some of us are old enough to remember the time when Edberg, Becker, Rafter and even McEnroe played. They had serve and volley game. Therefore it's impossible to consider players like Kiefer of Lopez SV players just because they might attack every now and then just to mix up the game. The definition of S&V won't change, even though it's not really used anymore.

The definition of a S&V-player won't change, I fully agree, but we might as well gather the today tiny bunch of players willing to come forward more than once a set, and then per discussion sort them in different groups. ;)

Echoes
07-21-2009, 02:11 PM
I surely would not mention Karlovic here. He, of course,does it sometimes but due to his powerful serves he would never be able to volley in good condition if he has to face a great return from his opponent. This return would surely come almost as fast as his serve, which won't give him time to reach the net. It's like saying Ivanisevic was an S&V. Of course he did but he rarely could volley in good condition when he had to face great return from Sampras for example. His volley was average.

I also agree there are many players on the list that shouldn't be mentioned. A guy like Ancic does S&V only on grass (and after first serve I think).

Dougie
07-21-2009, 04:19 PM
I surely would not mention Karlovic here. He, of course,does it sometimes but due to his powerful serves he would never be able to volley in good condition if he has to face a great return from his opponent. This return would surely come almost as fast as his serve, which won't give him time to reach the net. It's like saying Ivanisevic was an S&V. Of course he did but he rarely could volley in good condition when he had to face great return from Sampras for example. His volley was average.

I also agree there are many players on the list that shouldn't be mentioned. A guy like Ancic does S&V only on grass (and after first serve I think).

Good post. It is a common misconception that all you need in order to be a s&v-players is a Karlovic-type serve, and you just use the volley to finish off the job. If we think of Edberg, who was probably the ultimate s&v-type, he didnīt have a very fast serve. It was more about spin and placement. He could push his opponent to a difficult position with his kick-serve and make the return difficult, and it gave him time to move in to a good position at the net. This combined with fast movement and great volleys made him such a great serve and volleyer. Having a fast serve doesnīt make you a good serve and volleyer.

oranges
07-21-2009, 04:46 PM

Not just on grass and not just after 1st serve, but more consistently on grass in both cases. He grew up playing S/V and moved towards more of an all-court game because it's simply no longer a style you can play day in day out throughout the matches. You need to mix it up not to be too predictable.

I think players like Llodra are still full-blown S/Vers. Since they are truly an endangered species, players who play matches dominated by S/V often enough and use it regularly, if to a lesser extent in the rest, naturally get to be mentioned, since they are not all too numerous either.

Nidhogg
07-21-2009, 05:29 PM

Naturally the volleying isn't the main point if Karlovic would play S&V. I'm saying he could get away with rushing the net after every serve, cause even if he'll get the odd return here and there sizzling past him it won't outweigh the number of aces, unreturnable serves and returns easily put away.

In the meantime, let's savour some memories... ;)

5_9UhDhR1cc

Nidhogg
07-21-2009, 05:49 PM
Michael Berrer definetely deserves a mention here. He clearly wants to work his way up towards the net early in points.

r0fTjpAb1Rs

SKC2hqzITJA

Henry Chinaski
07-21-2009, 08:21 PM
ancic is almost exclusively a baseline grinder these days and zverev is mostly a mug pusher.

Dougie
07-21-2009, 08:37 PM
Michael Berrer definetely deserves a mention here. He clearly wants to work his way up towards the net early in points.

Thereīs nothing in those clips to suggest heīs a serve & volleyer. He seems to come in behind his serve when he feels itīs sufficiently strong.
The Edberg-McEnroe clip is a textbook-example of s&v. Great match, too! Both players display some unbelievable touch!

Nidhogg
07-21-2009, 09:16 PM
Thereīs nothing in those clips to suggest heīs a serve & volleyer. He seems to come in behind his serve when he feels itīs sufficiently strong.

I mentioned him because he strikes me as a player who in every point has the urge to work his way up to the net since that is the natural way for him to finish a point. Didn't we earlier state that there are no real S&V-ers left? Why do you think he doesn't work his way up towards the net all the time? He knows it just wont work.

mcnasty
07-21-2009, 09:20 PM
Unless you're Ivo Karlovic it's impossible to be a pure Serve & Volleyer today, so I don't see the problem mentioning guys that likes to come forward on a fairly regular basis. I'm not saying Ivo does it, but he could make a living coming in behind every serve.

Besides the obvious (because he doesn't have to) I think Ivo doesn't serve and volley because he isn't nimble enuff to serve and volley.

Nidhogg
07-21-2009, 09:45 PM
Right, so from displaying S&V anno late 80's we here have some from early 00's.

88VJbv3X6-4

CYyiIzJprVE

This, however, is about as awesome as it gets. Pure magic.

wHaN2h21ANs

Henry Chinaski
07-21-2009, 09:52 PM
I'm no svtard but that last vid is erotic and I don't just mean laver's hat

Har-Tru
07-21-2009, 10:36 PM
Someone watch that video and tell me with a straight face Lendl's backhand was better than Laver's.

Chiseller
07-22-2009, 02:27 AM
How's that even comparable.

brent-o
07-22-2009, 05:35 AM

Why would he do that and miss the chance to show off his girlish legs?;)

Echoes
07-22-2009, 12:38 PM
I can watch the Laver/Roche match on and on. Just love the sound of the ball hit by a wooden racket. The S&V by Tony Roche at 2.44 is just great.

The Laver/Ashe and Laver/Newcombe matches from Wimby '69 that we can find on Utube are also worth watching.

Dougie
07-22-2009, 03:47 PM
I mentioned him because he strikes me as a player who in every point has the urge to work his way up to the net since that is the natural way for him to finish a point. Didn't we earlier state that there are no real S&V-ers left? Why do you think he doesn't work his way up towards the net all the time? He knows it just wont work.

As long as the thread title is "serve and volley players", itīs useless to include merely attacking players. The concept of a serve & volley- player is someone who attacks practically every serve. It is not changed by the fact that those kind of players are rare nowadays.

And there is no reason s&v could not work nowadays. Someone with a proper serve (not just fast) and excellent volleys could still pull it off. As long as the balls and courts are slower than in the past it will not be a dominant style, like in the 90īs, but it could still be done with success.

yonexforever
07-22-2009, 06:19 PM
Tsonga

Caio_Brasil
08-15-2009, 08:51 PM
Australian Nima Roshan is serving-and-volleying all the way at a Brazilian future this week from what I read on a Brazilian forum.

madmax
08-15-2009, 09:06 PM
Tsonganator

This is Sparta
08-16-2009, 08:59 AM
Tsonga is not a S&V player.

GlennMirnyi
08-16-2009, 09:13 AM
He's definitely not.

He had been, though.

Laba
08-16-2009, 09:50 AM
Lopez should attack the net more, he'd do better there than staying behind the baseline.

This is Sparta
08-16-2009, 10:05 AM
Indeed, Lopez has some potential and his height would definitely help him, but he prefers to hit that pathetic backhand slices all the time and appear in magazines. He is just awful at the baseline and not focused in tennis at all.