New GOAT list... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

New GOAT list...

FedFan_2007
07-20-2009, 04:37 AM
Pre-Open Era: Bill Tilden
Transitional: Rod Laver
Open Era: Federer

But I don't think you can say which of these 3 are "better" since we have no objective measuring stick to compare across disparate eras like this. Safe to say, I'm satisfied with those 3.

GlennMirnyi
07-20-2009, 04:38 AM
Yes we can.

Laver won the GS twice, in the open era and in the amateur era.

Close this thread, mods.

FedFan_2007
07-20-2009, 04:41 AM
Uh no, it doesn't have to be closed just because GlennMugTroll says so....

Laver won his 1962 amateur slam when Rosewall had turned pro already...

GlennMirnyi
07-20-2009, 04:43 AM
So what?

Nobody counts that Frauderer couldn't beat Nadull to win RG. Well, we do, but in the future people won't care as much.

FedFan_2007
07-20-2009, 04:44 AM
I can see GlennMugTroll is trying to have it both ways. Sorry, but just as Roy Emerson is discounted for playing his entire career as amateur, Laver's amateur career will be discounted and all we're left with his a halfway-to-legend status from 1968-1976.

GlennMirnyi
07-20-2009, 04:47 AM
We should discount all slams Fed didn't beat Nadull too.

mark73
07-20-2009, 04:58 AM
Laver and tilden, even if they grew up with todays technology would be completly wipped by todays superior athletes such as federer. That being said the best way to look at a player is how they did against there contemporaries. If yoo count pro slams i believe rosewalt and laver come out first but the depth of competion was far less than todays.

Matt01
07-20-2009, 11:31 AM
Yes we can.

For once I have to agree with you.

ORGASMATRON
07-20-2009, 11:36 AM
Yes we can.

Close this thread, mods.

Laver played in a mug era, means nothing. Fed would have won the GS every year had he played then.

Har-Tru
07-20-2009, 12:02 PM
Laver played in a mug era, means nothing. Fed would have won the GS every year had he played then.

You are the worst poster ever in any forum.

Tilden is a step behind the other two.

thrust
07-20-2009, 12:43 PM
Laver and tilden, even if they grew up with todays technology would be completly wipped by todays superior athletes such as federer. That being said the best way to look at a player is how they did against there contemporaries. If yoo count pro slams i believe rosewalt and laver come out first but the depth of competion was far less than todays.

There is more overall depth today, but the top 10 was much tougher in the Rosewall-Laver, Sampras-Agassi, Connors-McEnroe eras.

MacTheKnife
07-20-2009, 12:46 PM

As opposed to what ? This one..:haha:

Certinfy
07-20-2009, 12:48 PM
Some of you people should be comedians...

oranges
07-20-2009, 01:00 PM
Fascinating. Once the thread count on the GOAT issue reaches a thousand mark, it will all become clear.

This is Sparta
07-20-2009, 01:16 PM
LOL Laver weak era...yeah right, this era is pretty strong, there are competent grassand clay courters everywhere :rolleyes: ...all the Federer fans are gloryhunters and only care for the trophies I see, someday they will learn that there are things beyond all the tournaments and trophies, and because of that Fedchoker can't be put ahead of Sampras,Laver and Borg...

superslam77
07-20-2009, 01:20 PM
LOL Laver weak era...yeah right, this era is pretty strong, there are competent grassand clay courters everywhere :rolleyes: ...all the Federer fans are gloryhunters and only care for the trophies I see, someday they will learn that there are things beyond all the tournaments and trophies, and because of that Fedchoker can't be put ahead of Sampras,Laver and Borg...

Because of that :rolleyes:

Good explanation, because of bias and hype from evil Rafatards Fed isn't GOAT :confused:

bokehlicious
07-20-2009, 01:29 PM
For once I have to agree with you.

:confused: I guess you must agree with him most of the time recently, since he seems to hate on Fed more than Nadal (well, only since Fed owns Sampras' butt in any possible GOAT debate :angel:) :D :p

This is Sparta
07-20-2009, 01:30 PM

Good explanation, because of bias and hype from evil Rafatards Fed isn't GOAT :confused:

I didn't mention rafatards... I just said that Fedchoker's era is WEAK, therefore he can't be the GOAT. But of course, he will be the goat at the eyes of his gloryhunters/fans because, oh, he has a lot of trophies.

and to the OP (who is the greatest gloryhunter in this forum) watch some tennis, instead of statistics...then you can discuss the whole GOAT thing

ORGASMATRON
07-20-2009, 09:17 PM
You are the worst poster ever in any forum.

Tilden is a step behind the other two.

Lolz

As opposed to what ? This one..:haha:

Your joking right?

Spot on.

Hey superslam, lets do some roasting my friend! Good to see you :D

:confused: I guess you must agree with him most of the time recently, since he seems to hate on Fed more than Nadal (well, only since Fed owns Sampras' butt in any possible GOAT debate :angel:) :D :p

Ive been loving your posts while i was banned P. Antonius. Thanks for doing my work for me :hug:

I didn't mention rafatards... I just said that Fedchoker's era is WEAK, therefore he can't be the GOAT. But of course, he will be the goat at the eyes of his gloryhunters/fans because, oh, he has a lot of trophies.

and to the OP (who is the greatest gloryhunter in this forum) watch some tennis, instead of statistics...then you can discuss the whole GOAT thing

I will hand it to you that the OP is a supreme gloryhunter, but you cant just say all Fedfans are gloryhunters just cos they are his fans. I think you are just bitter cos Rafa turned out to be such a little faker.

Burrow
07-20-2009, 09:22 PM
federer wouldnt have all of these wimbledons in sampras era either so you cant compare that either...

ORGASMATRON
07-20-2009, 09:46 PM
federer wouldnt have all of these wimbledons in sampras era either so you cant compare that either...

yes but he would have had 5 FO.

Black Adam
07-20-2009, 10:01 PM
Pre-Open Era: Bill Tilden
Transitional: Rod Laver
Open Era: Federer

But I don't think you can say which of these 3 are "better" since we have no objective measuring stick to compare across disparate eras like this. Safe to say, I'm satisfied with those 3.
Sorry to bust your "hard" work. How can each one of those be Greatest Of ALL TIME when you also contradict yourself by saying "for each era."
GOAT leaves us to assume they are the geatest of ALL eras. Which isn't the case. Fact: There is no such thing as a GOAT.

Black Adam
07-20-2009, 10:03 PM
Lolz

Your joking right?

Spot on.

Hey superslam, lets do some roasting my friend! Good to see you :D

Ive been loving your posts while i was banned P. Antonius. Thanks for doing my work for me :hug:

I will hand it to you that the OP is a supreme gloryhunter, but you cant just say all Fedfans are gloryhunters just cos they are his fans. I think you are just bitter cos Rafa turned out to be such a little faker.
Theoretically speaking, should someone like Dimitrov beat all of Federer's records by 2016, will you stick around to preach hard the Federer gospel or would you simply deprive us of your presence?

Burrow
07-20-2009, 10:09 PM

:rolls:

MatchFederer
07-20-2009, 10:57 PM

Perhaps 2 by the same point in his career as now.

ORGASMATRON
07-21-2009, 12:08 AM
Theoretically speaking, should someone like Dimitrov beat all of Federer's records by 2016, will you stick around to preach hard the Federer gospel or would you simply deprive us of your presence?

Dimitrov will never do that. Imagine Dimitrov making 21+ GS semis lol. I cant answer your question cos itll never happen. Its besides the point anyway, I like the Fed as a person or i wouldnt have a blog about him.

ORGASMATRON
07-21-2009, 12:10 AM
Perhaps 2 by the same point in his career as now.

At the very least two. Who would have beaten him on clay. And dont tell me gugamug.