Indy R1: Rajeev Ram d. Devin Britton 6-3 7-5 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Indy R1: Rajeev Ram d. Devin Britton 6-3 7-5

Caio_Brasil
07-19-2009, 07:31 PM
6th straight win for the recent Newport champion and great effort from the American junior.

I suppose the guy is a good player judging by his Slam results in the last two years. Can anyone who have ssen him playing give some thoughts about his game?

He saved 9 of the 12 break points he faced which is also an interesting number.

dam0dred
07-19-2009, 07:49 PM
Never seen him play but I read somewhere that agents were fighting to sign Britton at Wimbledon.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was the next Donald Young - handed a bunch of wildcards by overeager tournament directors before he is ready resulting in a string of losses that will destroy his confidence and mess up the progress he's making,

Panic23
07-19-2009, 08:58 PM
Didn't Britton win the NCAA championships as a freshman?

SHB
07-19-2009, 09:04 PM
Never seen him play but I read somewhere that agents were fighting to sign Britton at Wimbledon.

I wouldn't be surprised if he was the next Donald Young - handed a bunch of wildcards by overeager tournament directors before he is ready resulting in a string of losses that will destroy his confidence and mess up the progress he's making,

Young started getting wild cards at 14. Britton is 18. There is a huge difference. They're also vastly different players.

SHB
07-19-2009, 09:05 PM
Didn't Britton win the NCAA championships as a freshman?

Yes.

Panic23
07-19-2009, 09:22 PM
Young started getting wild cards at 14. Britton is 18. There is a huge difference. They're also vastly different players.

That is a huge difference, 4 years of physical and mental maturity.

Yes.

Thanks. My memory is still pretty good. :)

SHB
07-19-2009, 09:49 PM
Let me correct myself: Young actually played his first ATP match at 15. Still, three years makes a big difference. I would add that Young had a mountain of expectations on him, whereas Britton doesn't. I don't think there are even many people on this forum who know Devin Britton outside of reading is name once or twice.

Smoke944
07-19-2009, 11:25 PM

Spot on about Donald Young. Honestly though, Britton's situation is beyond different. Completely opposite, really.

niezubayern1
07-20-2009, 12:25 AM
I was at the match this afternoon. Ram attacked with his usual game of rushing to the net a lot and i think that bothered Britton. Both players served really well. Britton has some huge groundstrokes, he bullied Ram around a bit from the baseline. The major difference was at the net though. Ram looked incredibly comfortable up there while Britton kept charging the net but dumped a lot of volleys. Seemed like he just wasn't quite up to the speed of the pro game yet, but i doubt it will take him long to get there based on today's performance.

out_here_grindin
07-20-2009, 12:39 AM
I saw a few of Britton's matches when he was at Ole Miss. He is a very talented player, but it was weird that he was #2 on his NCAA team.

Panic23
07-20-2009, 12:39 AM
Nice report niezubayern (Bayern Munich fan I presume?)

niezubayern1
07-20-2009, 12:48 AM
No problem Panic23, I'll be there all week so i'll answer any questions i can. I'm anti-Bayern though. niezubayern is actually a lyric from a Die Toten Hosen song about how much they hate Bayern. Go FC Kaiserslautern!

dam0dred
07-20-2009, 12:59 AM
Spot on about Donald Young. Honestly though, Britton's situation is beyond different. Completely opposite, really.

I had no idea he was 18, I just assumed he was 16 or so.

I certainly wish him all the best, more top American players means more American interest in tennis which is good for the sport.

Panic23
07-20-2009, 01:44 AM
No problem Panic23, I'll be there all week so i'll answer any questions i can. I'm anti-Bayern though. niezubayern is actually a lyric from a Die Toten Hosen song about how much they hate Bayern. Go FC Kaiserslautern!

I have that song, but my German is quite limited.

Red Devils!! :devil:

I've got quite a few buddies who support them, but I'm an FC Köln fan myself.

As for tennis, great- keep the reports coming.

betowiec
07-20-2009, 02:05 AM
Ram on fire
us open 2nd week without a doubt

Caio_Brasil
07-20-2009, 02:46 AM
I was at the match this afternoon. Ram attacked with his usual game of rushing to the net a lot and i think that bothered Britton. Both players served really well. Britton has some huge groundstrokes, he bullied Ram around a bit from the baseline. The major difference was at the net though. Ram looked incredibly comfortable up there while Britton kept charging the net but dumped a lot of volleys. Seemed like he just wasn't quite up to the speed of the pro game yet, but i doubt it will take him long to get there based on today's performance.

Thanks for that :yeah:

HattonWBA
07-20-2009, 10:14 AM
Expected win for ram over the youngster britton, could be a rematch of the newport final next rd with sam querrey, hopefully big sam can get revenge, i like rajeev ram's game however, its smooth

CooCooCachoo
07-20-2009, 10:30 AM
Good job Rajeev :yeah:

Panic23
07-21-2009, 03:37 AM
Quick question- is there a thread for all the action at Indy or do we have a different thread for every match?

Sucks its not on the Tennis channel.