WTT incident involving Paes and Johnny Mac. *with video!* [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

WTT incident involving Paes and Johnny Mac. *with video!*

chowdahead25
07-19-2009, 07:14 AM
This happened a few nights ago.

In a match between the Washington Kastles and New York Sportimes, Paes hit a smash that nailed Robby Kendrick. The Sportimes coach then ran and got into Paes' face, as did Johnny Mac. Kendrick then hit a serve right at Paes, that nailed him. Then it got all snippy and what not.

Story from ESPN.com

NEW YORK -- World TeamTennis has suspended and fined New York Sportimes coach Chuck Adams after his team -- which features John McEnroe -- and the Washington Kastles got into heated arguments over players getting hit by shots.

The league barred Adams from leading New York against visiting Kansas City on Friday night for "violating the World TeamTennis Coaches' Code of Conduct."

Adams went onto Washington's side of the court to confront a Kastles player Thursday.

The league called this "the first punishment" for what happened between New York and Washington on Thursday. WTT said it "continues to investigate the incident to determine if there will be any additional punishments issued."

http://www.comcastsportsnet.tv/common/global_flash/player/spe.swf?flv=vidcast_11025&sid=102&d=www.comcastsportsnet.tv

:haha:

Goldenoldie
07-19-2009, 07:39 AM
Sounds like fun! I'm not familiar with WTT - do the players really take it that seriously?

jmf07
07-19-2009, 07:44 AM
:lol: a shame that Kendrick only hit one serve at him. I don't think what Paes did warranted the reaction but Paes is an idiot and it wouldn't surprise me if he did something leading up to it :o.

chowdahead25
07-19-2009, 07:45 AM
WTT is a pretty chill atmosphere, atleast here in Sacramento, fans are involved, laid back etc., but the players do take it pretty seriously on court, and things can get snippy at times. Paes is a jerk though. Wish Kendrick hit it harder:D

Dougie
07-19-2009, 07:49 AM
What Paes did was not cool, but what Kendrick did was totally unprofessional and idiotic. It´s not uncommon that someone gets hit by a smash or a volley, it happens, purposely or unpurposely. But when you serve at someone who is not even prepared, it´s just stupid and dangerous, even.

JMG
07-19-2009, 08:20 AM
Kendrick is the only one to blame, that was sick.

bjurra
07-19-2009, 08:21 AM
Nothing wrong with Paes shot, I think Robby got upset that Paes celebrated instead of offering an insincere apology. I have the feeling Robby didnt like Paes anyway.

Sapeod
07-19-2009, 08:31 AM
What the hell were the coach and John thinking :rolleyes: That's only gonna make it worse. Kendrick didn't help things either. It is those three's fault :o

samanosuke
07-19-2009, 08:32 AM
good old Mac

Mechlan
07-19-2009, 09:42 AM
Paes is generally an idiot, but it sounds like Kendrick was the one to blame here.

fast_clay
07-19-2009, 01:03 PM
Nothing wrong with Paes shot, I think Robby got upset that Paes celebrated instead of offering an insincere apology. I have the feeling Robby didnt like Paes anyway.

i agree... not adhering to that 'unwritten rule' of putting your hand up in apology looks like it got the desired response... heh heh... a fist pump after you brand your opposition is the height of tennis cool...

paes :yeah:

Caio_Brasil
07-19-2009, 01:19 PM
WTF this Kendrick asshole. Can't believe someone actually even thinks on doing that.

TMJordan
07-19-2009, 01:30 PM
Kendrick is the obvious clown here.

dam0dred
07-19-2009, 01:33 PM
Wow, it takes a special performance to be a bigger asshole than Paes. Well done, Kendrick.

What a clown.

Snoo Foo
07-19-2009, 01:34 PM
Another version (http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/blog/ten_experts/post/You-can-t-be-serious-McEnroe-involved-in-mid-ma;_ylt=AvNp3CEy8vMp1OqrnBK2hPo4v7YF?urn=ten,17723 2)

Kastlers player Leander Paes (a five-time Grand Slam doubles winner) came to net and hit an overhead slam that struck Kendrick in the chin. It looked to be a routine incident. But Kendrick took offense and yelled stuff like, "what, no apology?" as Paes walked away. On the very next serve, Kendrick intentionally nailed Paes. Immediately, the Sportime's coach (Chuck Adams) rose from the bench and started saying "it's just part of the game." Adams and McEnroe then crossed the net to the other side of the court to exchange words with Paes. It should be noted that, of the people on the court, McEnroe seemed to be the one playing peacemaker.

During this, Kastles player Olga Puchkova (who was once engaged to Alex Ovechkin, maybe) said something in the direction of Kendrick. He replied by calling her a word that rhymes with "witch". Puchkova got off the bench in reaction and was assessed a warning. To protest this, Puchkova's double's partner Rennae Stubbs tried to explain what provoked Puchkova, but as she approached the umpire, she was assessed with a point penalty for abuse of officials. That gave the Sportimes a 1-0 lead in the subsequent tiebreak. McEnroe didn't want to take the point and offered to start at 0-0, but they kept the penalty.

Kastles coach Murphy Jensen was furious with the official, claiming that he had lost control of the match. It wasn't said, but it seemed like he was suggesting that perhaps the official was intimidated by McEnroe's presence.

Burrow
07-19-2009, 01:37 PM
what a clown, kendrick.

Pea
07-19-2009, 02:04 PM
Ugh at the umpire, kendrick, their coach. What a way to lose control of a match.

Serenidad
07-19-2009, 02:22 PM
Why didn't Kendrick just dive? :spit:

out_here_grindin
07-19-2009, 03:25 PM
I'd be pissed as hell if i was Paes.

Deathless Mortal
07-19-2009, 03:33 PM
Like you guys don't know Paes, he did this on purpose, and of course Kendrick got pissed off. He got hit, and didn't receive an apology. Kendrick is also not a calm, nice guy, so this doesn't surprise me, but I can't blame him either.

shotgun
07-19-2009, 03:43 PM
:haha:

Paes seems to have purposely nailed Kendrick with a volley. If he hadn't done it purposely, he would have apologized. Kendrick is a naturally agressive person so he reacted the way you would expect him to. Anyway, ridiculous to point fingers only at Kendrick, when Paes was the one that started the whole incident.

Kendrick showing his middle finger during celebration. :lol:

Action Jackson
07-19-2009, 03:47 PM
Bringing people back to the game.

MacTheKnife
07-19-2009, 04:11 PM
Exactly. I just wish these matches were televised live. I enjoy watching, and yes, the players do take this very seriously.
WTT has been around 30+ years and in the old days, guys actually missed slams to play WTT. A lot of participation now, imo, is out of respect for BJK. Just about every player interviewed brings that up when asked why they play. But predominately, they play for the team atmosphere.

jonathancrane
07-19-2009, 04:16 PM
Kendrick :lol:

Chip_s_m
07-19-2009, 05:33 PM
It takes two to tango.

joshabner5
07-19-2009, 06:04 PM
Video is on YouTube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMr_RzCGWOw

GlennMirnyi
07-19-2009, 07:38 PM
Paes is a huge idiot and I loved watching that. That said, Kendrick shouldn't have proceeded this way.

Kournikovaism
07-19-2009, 08:02 PM
I hate when people make an issue out of being hit by the ball. :rolleyes:

When I did Badminton I would be told in mixed doubles to smash it back at the girl at the net.

KoOlMaNsEaN
07-19-2009, 08:10 PM
that was ugly it was obvious both were going after eachother hard

martinatreue
07-19-2009, 08:57 PM
I really hate Paes and don't exactly love Kendrick. Creeps!

Kournikovaism
07-19-2009, 10:17 PM
I love Puchkova at the end of that clip :lol:

Har-Tru
07-19-2009, 10:27 PM
nice aim Kendrick

Pea
07-19-2009, 10:27 PM
Olga :lol: Tell that coach!

Corey Feldman
07-19-2009, 10:46 PM
bunch of over macho f'en idiots these yanks, so typical of them .. no one should be surprised by Kendrick.. he's cut from the same cloth as Roddick - spoilt yank brat with no idea of good conduct

i believe that Chuck Adams is the bf of Ashley Harkleroad.. good to see him getting bitch slapped by the girl haha

Henry Chinaski
07-19-2009, 11:06 PM
great stuff. tennis needs more of this.

legitimate tactic from paes, bitch move from kendrick but fun to see all the same.

Mechlan
07-19-2009, 11:19 PM
Out of curiosity, who should be awarded that point where Kendrick hit Paes?

L James
07-19-2009, 11:31 PM
Kendrick shouldn't have done what he did, but I can understand the desire to do so, given what a ****ish character Paes is.

federersforehand
07-19-2009, 11:32 PM
I demand a video :)

Smoke944
07-19-2009, 11:33 PM
bunch of over macho f'en idiots these yanks, so typical of them .. no one should be surprised by Kendrick.. he's cut from the same cloth as Roddick - spoilt yank brat with no idea of good conduct

i believe that Chuck Adams is the bf of Ashley Harkleroad.. good to see him getting bitch slapped by the girl haha

:lol:

Burrow
07-20-2009, 12:08 AM
I demand a video :)

:help: :o

Kournikovaism
07-20-2009, 01:14 AM
Why was McEnroe being such an asshole about it. :rolleyes:

I think Olga could take all those guys and teach them a lesson :lol:

shotgun
07-20-2009, 02:05 AM
Out of curiosity, who should be awarded that point where Kendrick hit Paes?

Kendrick/McEnroe get the point. So, in a way, Kendrick nailing Paes with a serve was as legitimate as Paes nailing Kendrick with an overhead.

faboozadoo15
07-20-2009, 04:23 AM

:rolleyes:

Since Paes and all the non-American players are such gentlemen all the time. Get real...

faboozadoo15
07-20-2009, 04:24 AM
Kendrick/McEnroe get the point. So, in a way, Kendrick nailing Paes with a serve was as legitimate as Paes nailing Kendrick with an overhead.

And 10X as awesome, given the immediate retaliation.

LOVES it :hearts:

Paes sucks balls.
Who takes a big swipe at a swinging volley, smacks someone in the face and doesn't even apologize?

Corey Feldman
07-20-2009, 04:25 AM
:rolleyes:

Since Paes and all the non-American players are such gentlemen all the time. Get real...shut up yank

CooCooCachoo
07-20-2009, 10:35 AM
No surprise, it is Kendrick we are talking about after all.

Collective
07-20-2009, 02:09 PM
What and idiot this Kenprick.

Kournikovaism
07-20-2009, 03:35 PM
Who takes a big swipe at a swinging volley, smacks someone in the face and doesn't even apologize?

A lot of players, it is hardly a big deal, like it is a regular occurance in doubles.
Tons of players use it when at the net. They might put their hand in the air, but they obviously aren't sorry since they won the point.:rolleyes:

r2473
07-20-2009, 04:03 PM
To paraphrase Serena:

"Clearly, WTT tennis is better than ATP tennis. There's no comparison. I mean, I'm on the tour. We have great personalities like Paes, Kendrick, and McEnroe on the tour. I mean, it's way cattier, so it's way more exciting to watch."

Corey Feldman
07-20-2009, 06:51 PM
Mardy Fish is another one, he and Blake threw a tantrum when Zimonjic hit him in the Wimbledon semi final a few weeks ago

they dont make true class gentlemanly yanks like 59 year old Tom Watson anymore

today they are all offspring products of brats from the late 70's/80's

Kournikovaism
07-20-2009, 08:59 PM
Mardy Fish is another one, he and Blake threw a tantrum when Zimonjic hit him in the Wimbledon semi final a few weeks ago

Fish and Blake were way out of line too, can't these Americans take a ball to the body:rolleyes:

Raquel
07-20-2009, 10:15 PM
I don't know what's more tragic - Kendrick aiming that serve at Paes, McEnroe and Adams getting in Paes face, Kendrick cupping his ear to the other team's area after winning, the victory dance of the team or the fact it's all happening in WTT :lol:

smucav
07-21-2009, 02:38 PM
Everyone interviewed here seems to agree that the point penalty (for Stubbs's actions) was completely uncalled for:

John McEnroe Loses Temper at Kastles Match:
http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2009/07/john_mcenroe_loses_temper_at_k.html

One of the comments suggests that Kendrick hit a ball toward Paes/Oudsema (after the point was over) the point before Paes hit Kendrick w. the return & that was the catalyst.

shotgun
07-21-2009, 07:20 PM
^^^
I read that. And allegedly, after this happened Paes said out loud, "somebody is gonna get hurt here", and proceeded to hit Kendrick with the overhead shot in the following point.

Burrow
07-21-2009, 07:25 PM
I remember at Wimbledon, within half an hour of me arriving, I went into a shop and here comes Kendrick walking along beside me, didn't think it was him at the start because I thought he was taller but it was and he was absolutely racing towards this section of the shop, to pick up toilet roll.

Must have been having toiletry problems and needed it fast.

Ozone
07-22-2009, 02:49 AM
Of course Kendrick is going to retaliate if some idiot comes flying in and takes a HUGE cut at his face. Paes should know not to mess with the damn guy. It had to be intional. Everyone knows how tempered Kendo is and it's a shame on Paes to start everything.

And the whole idea of suspending Adams is dumb. If you want to suspend him, suspend Kendrick, McEnroe and Paes while you are at it. Not very fair. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usrD6Q-ces8 - Great video:lol:

Chiseller
07-22-2009, 03:02 AM
What Paes did was not cool, but what Kendrick did was totally unprofessional and idiotic. It´s not uncommon that someone gets hit by a smash or a volley, it happens, purposely or unpurposely. But when you serve at someone who is not even prepared, it´s just stupid and dangerous, even.

Oh c'mon. The volley as well as the serve were intentional. Therefore, both actions should be judged in the same way. Just because Kendrick did it more apparent doesn't make it more idiotic.

Ozone
07-22-2009, 03:12 AM
I love this kind of intensity in WTT!!! Bring some more!! C'mon someone stir up JohnnyMac and Kendrick. Kendrick is better than a stand-up comedian when he is in one of these little quarrels:lol: The ear-cup after winning and serving at the other guy:rolls:

Allez-Alejo
07-22-2009, 03:13 AM

Watson is a massive choke artist...had to be consoled by the Bear...what a puss

Allez-Alejo
07-22-2009, 03:16 AM
The taunting and celebrating afterwards is great...this is what makes tennis better than the NFL. Players should use these tactics more often...in tour events.

Ozone
07-22-2009, 03:18 AM
The taunting and celebrating afterwards is great...this is what makes tennis better than the NFL. Players should use these tactics more often...in tour events.
We can only dream of that:angel: That would be amazing. Ratings would go way up for tennis on tv as well.

smucav
07-23-2009, 07:56 PM
http://www.tennisweek.com/news/fullstory.sps?inewsid=6636708Tennis Week
WTT Fines Sportimes, Kastle For Clash
By Tennis Week
7/23/2009 4:33:00 PM

Owners' wallets will be a little lighter when the Washington Kastles host the New York Sportimes in Friday night's World TeamTennis Eastern Conference final in DC.

WTT officials today announced additional reprimands for the on-court incidents involving members of the Washington Kastles and the New York Sportimes during a match on July 16 in Washington, D.C.

Following a League investigation, including review of the video and the umpire’s report, the League issued fines to the Kastles and Sportimes for the unprofessional conduct of several players — Leander Paes, Rennae Stubbs and Olga Puchkova from the Kastles; and John McEnroe, Robert Kendrick and coach Chuck Adams for the Sportimes. In addition, Puchkova and Kendrick received individual fines for their actions. Puchkova was fined for leaving the bench to come onto the opponents’ side of the court and verbally confronting another player. Kendrick received a fine for his unsportsmanlike conduct when he hit a serve at the Kastles’ Leander Paes as he stood at the net while Paes’ partner was set to receive serve.

Previously the League had fined and suspended Sportimes coach Adams for one match for violating the Coaches’ Code of Conduct.

© 2007 Tennis Week

Corey Feldman
07-24-2009, 06:23 PM
J.Mac in his prime

fd90m3xKfl8&feature=related

the graduate
07-24-2009, 10:06 PM
johnny mac is a drumstick