What surface is played on the most? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

What surface is played on the most?

LEGENDOFTENNIS
07-17-2009, 08:58 PM
In the entire world, i.e. in proper events. NOT the ATP tour where its Hard im sure.

Seems like Clay is played alot in South America/Spain and Hard alot in the US

Arkulari
07-17-2009, 09:02 PM
there are a lot of clay/indoor hard events on Europe, HC outdoor in USA and clay in Latin America

Certinfy
07-17-2009, 09:02 PM
Very interesting question.

lessthanjake
07-17-2009, 09:04 PM
It's hard because its the cheapest to maintain

Har-Tru
07-17-2009, 09:08 PM
It's hard.

Clay is prevalent in most of continental Europe.

Certinfy
07-17-2009, 09:11 PM
Well hard would make more sense than clay and grass i guess.

Arkulari
07-17-2009, 09:17 PM
Grass is the least used nowadays, for example in Latin America, there's only one place in Argentina that has it, the rest is clay for most parts, very few HC as well, you also have to consider the altitude, there are cities with huge altitude, so HC would be almost suicidal because the ball would go too fast ;)

Spain is the kingdom of clay, there are a lot of clubs and courts with clay courts, one of the notable exceptions is the Casa de Campo, where the Madrid Masters used to be played at ;)

for what I've been able to see, USA and Canada don't have much clay courts, it's mainly HC outdoor :p

GlennMirnyi
07-17-2009, 09:22 PM
Mugland.

Action Jackson
07-17-2009, 09:22 PM
Depends on where you are.

Hardcourts would be in a lot of places, because they are cheap to maintain.

Then there the public access courts which are asphalt free and get some interesting bounces.

r2473
07-17-2009, 09:24 PM
What surface is played on the most?

King sized bed.

Caio_Brasil
07-17-2009, 09:25 PM
Depends on where you are.

Hardcourts would be in a lot of places, because they are cheap to maintain.

Then there the public access courts which are asphalt free and get some interesting bounces.

Wish we could have more of these on Brazil. São Paulo specifically.

Certinfy
07-17-2009, 09:28 PM
King sized bed.:haha: :haha: :haha:

Har-Tru
07-17-2009, 09:29 PM
Wish we could have more of these on Brazil. São Paulo specifically.

It's utter crap. Plus they retain incredible amounts of heat.

Clay courts are the common thing in all of Spain, but Madrid and surroundings have a lot of hard courts. No surprise players from there show a style more adapted to faster surfaces (Verdasco, LaLo).

Caio_Brasil
07-17-2009, 09:30 PM
It's utter crap. Plus they retain incredible amounts of heat.

Clay courts are the common thing in all of Spain, but Madrid and surroundings have a lot of hard courts. No surprise players from there show a style more adapted to faster surfaces (Verdasco, LaLo).

I meant I wish we had more public courts here ;)

lucho_coria
07-17-2009, 09:31 PM
Grass is the least used nowadays, for example in Latin America, there's only one place in Argentina that has it, the rest is clay for most parts, very few HC as well, you also have to consider the altitude, there are cities with huge altitude, so HC would be almost suicidal because the ball would go too fast ;)

Spain is the kingdom of clay, there are a lot of clubs and courts with clay courts, one of the notable exceptions is the Casa de Campo, where the Madrid Masters used to be played at ;)

for what I've been able to see, USA and Canada don't have much clay courts, it's mainly HC outdoor :p

Exactly , for example in my club there are 25 clay courts and 2 hard courts.

MacTheKnife
07-17-2009, 09:42 PM
Most of the private clubs in the US have Har-Tru, and some also have HCs. But if you include public parks, schools, hotels, and public clubs, I would guess it would be 4 or 5 to 1 HCs. There are a few indoor facilities around.
I was a member of one in Virginia that had 4 indoor courts, 10 out door clay, and 2 HCs that were outdoor in the summer and they put a bubble over them in the winter. It was a pretty sweet deal.

DJ Soup
07-17-2009, 10:06 PM

it's a shame I prefer HC by far

Go_Israel
07-17-2009, 10:13 PM
I think that the surfaces are highly affected by geographical and cultural factors. This may explain why in North Africa there's a lot of clay courts (affected by countries such as Spain, France and Italy), why clay is so common in South America, HC in North America and Asia etc.

Another example is the Netharlands with the Den Bosch tournamant that the closeness to the UK has a lot to do with.

philosophicalarf
07-17-2009, 10:24 PM
In the entire world, i.e. in proper events. NOT the ATP tour where its Hard im sure.

Surprisingly, ATP tour actually has about the same number of clay events as hard (at least if you distinguish indoors from outdoors hard, which you really should imo).

Har-Tru
07-18-2009, 12:18 AM
Surprisingly, ATP tour actually has about the same number of clay events as hard (at least if you distinguish indoors from outdoors hard, which you really should imo).

why surprisingly?

btw I always wanted to ask. are grass courts found in private clubs in the UK? What would be the HC-Grass rate approximately? and clay? I know there are some clay courts around nowadays.

Har-Tru
07-18-2009, 12:20 AM

wow. didn't think it would be like that. why do you think then so many Argies, especially lately, seem to have hard as their best surface?

lucho_coria
07-18-2009, 12:50 AM
wow. didn't think it would be like that. why do you think then so many Argies, especially lately, seem to have hard as their best surface?

Well , maybe because they could adapt their game to the hard. All the argies were raised on clay (except nalbandian) and generally , they have their best results on clay and on hard. But a few could obtain good results in indoor , on grass.

But i dont know why you say that so many argies have hard as their best surface. Nowadays only Del Potro and Nalbandian have as best surface hard. Then , for example , chela , canas , coria,gaudio,junqueira,gonzalez,arguello,acasuso,c alleri,schwank , monaco (and a lot more) have as best surface clay.

Har-Tru
07-18-2009, 01:00 AM
Well , maybe because they could adapt their game to the hard. All the argies were raised on clay (except nalbandian) and generally , they have their best results on clay and on hard. But a few could obtain good results in indoor , on grass.

But i dont know why you say that so many argies have hard as their best surface. Nowadays only Del Potro and Nalbandian have as best surface hard. Then , for example , chela , canas , coria,gaudio,junqueira,gonzalez,arguello,acasuso,c alleri,schwank , monaco (and a lot more) have as best surface clay.

Hmm maybe because they are the best? :) Thx. Why did Nalbandian learn to play on hard?

Arkulari
07-18-2009, 01:41 AM
I think it was because his grandfather build a HC court on his house and he learnt to play there? :scratch:

lucho_coria
07-18-2009, 01:42 AM
Hmm maybe because they are the best? :) Thx. Why did Nalbandian learn to play on hard?

Well , i am not a special fan of david , but i have understood that David started to play on hard courts because in his club only there were hard courts. But i am not sure about this , Maybe someone could explain to you this much better than me. ;)

out_here_grindin
07-18-2009, 02:32 AM
I've only seen Grass courts in Hilton Head,SC. They are rare as hell

Arkulari
07-18-2009, 02:38 AM
I've only seen grass courts in UK, Netherlands, USA, Germany and Argentina :shrug:
clay courts are quite rare in the Far East as well or am I mistaken? most of what I've seen is indoors HC :shrug:

fast_clay
07-18-2009, 03:19 AM
counting juniors, futures, challengers and atp... clay holds sway...

due to it prevelence in the futures and challenger level in europe and south america, it should come as no surprise that the majority of top 100 success in the last decade should hail from the euro/latin regions - such is the importance in developing at least part of your tennis on the surface...

green clay i understand was an extremely popular surface in the US... and indeed a great surface to develop on... who know what could have been had that direction not been much abandoned in favour of hard...

safinafan
07-18-2009, 03:54 AM
clays with sure

Har-Tru
07-18-2009, 02:41 PM
green clay i understand was an extremely popular surface in the US... and indeed a great surface to develop on... who know what could have been had that direction not been much abandoned in favour of hard...

I agree. :cool: Don't get me started...

BodyServe
07-18-2009, 02:55 PM
Sandpaper.

Goldenoldie
07-18-2009, 03:07 PM
I can't speak for the rest of the UK, but here in Eastbourne we have the pro facility which is grass, but the clubs and public parks are macadam, artificial grass or carpet.

Har-Tru
07-18-2009, 04:47 PM
I can't speak for the rest of the UK, but here in Eastbourne we have the pro facility which is grass, but the clubs and public parks are macadam, artificial grass or carpet.

Surely not carpet outdoor?

VolandriFan
07-18-2009, 04:57 PM
Why did Nalbandian learn to play on hard?

Less running.

Goldenoldie
07-18-2009, 05:57 PM
Surely not carpet outdoor?

Acrylic carpet obviously

Har-Tru
07-18-2009, 06:12 PM
Acrylic carpet obviously

That's hard then. :)

Action Jackson
07-18-2009, 06:17 PM

Clown surface, but better than hardcourts on the body.

Har-Tru
07-18-2009, 06:20 PM
Clown surface, but better than hardcourts on the body.

I will now proceed to create a million double accounts and badrep you to hell.

Goldenoldie
07-18-2009, 06:22 PM
That's hard then. :)

I learn something new every day.

Andre♥
07-18-2009, 06:23 PM
In terms of ATP & ITF competitions, it's clay.

In global terms, including people who play it as a hobby, it's hardcourt.