The "You can't be a TB king if you lose every single important TB" HC Thread [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

The "You can't be a TB king if you lose every single important TB" HC Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Deboogle!.
07-17-2009, 03:52 AM
the Indianapolis draw comes out tomorrow (Friday). The next highest-ranked player after Andy is like, barely in the top 30. So hopefully he wins this as he should to get the season off to a good start :D

Vamos Andy :bounce:

Andy only needs a couple wins to get his 500th :D

oh and please, be more creative than i am and think up a better thread title :p

Black Adam
07-17-2009, 10:26 AM
Chilling on the Home Decoturf?

Golfnduck
07-17-2009, 01:08 PM
How about Beatin' the Heat and Movin' Up on the US Hardcouts!

Merseykmight
07-17-2009, 01:51 PM
Come on,Andy!! Keep your state!!!~
Fight for US Open!!

tsurupettan
07-17-2009, 02:35 PM
Go, go Andy! :D

kaylee
07-17-2009, 02:40 PM
How about Beatin' the Heat and Movin' Up on the US Hardcouts!

Hahahaha good one!

Selby
07-17-2009, 03:36 PM
http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=145541
OUT Roddick, Andy USA 6

It's a mistake, right?

Edit: I've got user and pass for ATP PlayerZone, it says he withdrew...

Deboogle!.
07-17-2009, 04:05 PM
:retard: :retard: :retard: WHY :retard:

Raina
07-17-2009, 04:07 PM
maybe his hip has not 100% recovered?:confused:

Selby
07-17-2009, 04:11 PM
It's not such bad news if he did withdraw, maybe he wants to make sure that hip is 100% which is more important than the potential 250 points but from the tournament's point of view it's really really bad.

Deboogle!.
07-17-2009, 04:13 PM
i really doubt it :tape: he's been going to concerts and playing golf and stuff...I bet my life his hip's fine and he just hasn't played tennis much so he's not ready to play a tournament.

Maybe he'll ask for a WC in LA, the field is no better

tangerine_dream
07-17-2009, 04:31 PM
I'm disappointed Andy won't be playing Indy but he wouldn't pull out if the doc told him he could play. He knows all those people who bought tickets especially to see him would be disappointed.

The hip might be feeling better but it probably still isn't good enough to start playing on the hardcourts yet.

Better to be safe than sorry.

kaylee
07-17-2009, 05:34 PM
He is still listed on their website - man I bet they will be angry after all the hype on the other hand we don't want Andy risking his hip.

Deboogle!.
07-17-2009, 05:44 PM
Sorry, i don't buy his hip is still a problem, that'd be incredibly irresponsible if he went out and played golf and stuff with a bad hip

Raina
07-17-2009, 05:53 PM
maybe he re-injured his hip while he was playing golf? :retard: :p

Heather1229
07-17-2009, 07:08 PM
This is from the Indy website:

ANDY RODDICK WITHDRAWS DUE TO RIGHT HIP FLEXOR INJURY
INDIANAPOLIS… Wimbledon runner-up and two-time Indianapolis Tennis Championship presented by Lilly champion Andy Roddick, 26, has announced his withdrawal from this year’s tournament. Roddick’s coach Larry Stefanki made the call late today citing a right hip flexor injury that also kept him out of the US Davis Cup match against Croatia.
“We are obviously very disappointed that Andy will not be able to return to Indianapolis, but we support his decision 100 percent to put his health first. We know that some fans have planned their vacations and a night out with friends around Andy’s Tuesday night play and potential to earn his third title on finals weekend, so we can only imagine how disappointed they are also,” said Indianapolis Tennis Championships Tournament Director Kevin Martin.
“On a positive note, however, fans will still be able to see great tennis at the tournament this year and enjoy numerous fan friendly events throughout the week. In addition we are working to secure one additional player into the main draw. Robby Ginepri’s acceptance into our main draw freed up his wildcard. The # 17 player in the world and the second highest ranked American James Blake is our leading candidate.
“This is one of those instances where our tournament must support the decision by Andy and his medical team to do what’s best for Andy and American tennis versus what’s best for Indianapolis. We will look forward to seeing Andy back on the hardcourts very soon and performing at the high level we saw him during Wimbeldon. We wish him a speedy recovery for this hip injury, and of course we hope to see him headlining for us at next year’s Indianapolis Tennis Championships.”
The Indianapolis Tennis Championships, the first tournament in the hardcourt season, will feature several ATP tour veterans, including 2007 Champion Dmitry Tursunov, 2005 Champion Robby Ginepri, Sam Querrey, Taylor Dent, Marcos Baghdatis and many others. This year’s Indianapolis Tennis Championships will be held July 18-26 at the Indianapolis Tennis Center on the campus of IUPUI. Tickets for the Championships can be purchased online at tennisindy.com or by calling 800-622-LOVE.
The Indianapolis Tennis Championships Presented by Lilly is a world-class ATP Tour event held annually in Indianapolis and is a part of the Olympus US Open Series. The event traces its roots back to 1921 and has hosted such notable players as Pete Sampras, Arthur Ashe, Jimmy Connors, and Andre Agassi. For more information, please visit www.tennisindy.com.

Deboogle!.
07-17-2009, 07:30 PM
maybe he re-injured his hip while he was playing golf? :retard: :pyeah, maybe :o :lol:

kaylee
07-17-2009, 07:49 PM
oh pooh I was lookinf forward to seeing him next week too never mind - health first.

tangerine_dream
07-17-2009, 07:56 PM
TWEET:

andyroddick really upset that i won't be able to play in indy this year. i love the tournament up there, but i am not properly prepared at this point

andyroddick my focus will as always, will be to be 100 percent ready to go before i step out on court.....

tsurupettan
07-17-2009, 07:57 PM
:tape: Whyyy... oh well. I hope his hip gets up to par soon enough.

Deboogle!.
07-17-2009, 08:33 PM
TWEET:

andyroddick really upset that i won't be able to play in indy this year. i love the tournament up there, but i am not properly prepared at this point

andyroddick my focus will as always, will be to be 100 percent ready to go before i step out on court.....Exactly, he's fine, he just hasn't been practicing. That's ok, he deserves it.

arodfanpe666o
07-17-2009, 08:37 PM
Now, I think, we will probably see him in Washington. If he plays both Washington and L.A. and the two masters events, that means 4 consecutive tournaments before USO. I think this is high risk to injure himself again...

Deboogle!.
07-17-2009, 08:40 PM
Yeah, probably not too smart.. just a shame b/c indy and LA's fields are so incredibly weak, either should be an easy title win for him

arodfanpe666o
07-17-2009, 08:44 PM
You are right. A title would be so good for his confidence, and mood in general, after That final.

tangerine_dream
07-17-2009, 08:58 PM
On the other hand, weak challenger-like fields hold no interest for elite players so even if it means an easy title win for Andy what he really needs (and works best for him) is to face good players, not waste his time beating down the likes of Kunitsyn and Berrer and then re-injure the hip.

I hope he skips Washington too, he should focus on the masters before USO. It's time for the other Americans to step up in these small events (hint to Sammy and Johnny). Andy shouldn't have to carry the entire summer series by himself.

*edit*

Andy's in the new Indy Tennis magazine, click here to see it (http://issuu.com/indianapolis_tennis_magazine/docs/indianapolis_tennis_magazine_vol4-issue1).

Deboogle!.
07-17-2009, 09:05 PM
I'm 100% sure andy's hip is fine. he had the same thing after the 2004 final and ended up having an excellent summer after that. He shouldn't have to carry the tourneys in terms of ticket sales and stuff, but I don't think winning a tournament is ever a bad idea for him, and he's a confidence player so getting on a good roll can't possibly hurt.

arodfanpe666o
07-17-2009, 09:05 PM
I think one tournament - L.A or Washington would be fine. Just not to go cold into the masters events.

tennis lover
07-17-2009, 10:52 PM
:awww: I hope he starts playing again soon. I don't blame him for maybe taking a bit of a break after the final though! :hug:

knight_ley
07-18-2009, 12:26 AM
I hope he skips Washington too, he should focus on the masters before USO. It's time for the other Americans to step up in these small events (hint to Sammy and Johnny). Andy shouldn't have to carry the entire summer series by himself.

I respectfully disagree cuz I'm going to Legg Mason! :lol:

Winston's Human
07-18-2009, 01:13 AM
Hey Tangy:

I love your signature photographs on how to take a loss.

andymo
07-18-2009, 02:31 PM
Andy always plays Washington, not Los Angeles.:wavey:

Deboogle!.
07-18-2009, 02:52 PM
Andy played LA in 2006, and again last year. I forget which year it was that he took a late WC. Last year he made the final, though. I doubt he'll take an LA WC this year, but he's done stranger things. And now that Ken and him broke off from SFX or whatever that agency is called now, his allegiance to DC might not be the same as it once was. But he's entered there, so I'm assuming he will play.

Deboogle!.
07-18-2009, 05:36 PM
http://twitter.com/indytennis is tweeting Andy's conference call right now

Ambro from IndyStar asked how much Andy tried, or whether he was hurting during play, how many times did he try to practice?

AR: It got banged up a little bit. The biggest thing I'm concerned about is I had to give it sufficient rest after Wimbledon.

AR: Will try to be back for Washington. Was really looking forward to getting back to Indy. I was looking forward to being back there.

AR: I just don't feel like I was 100 percent ready

AR on Wimbly: Not going to lie, it was a hard night that night, but I've never been a part of something where I had so much outward support.

AR: I'll just get back to work, and hopefully my time will come.

AR: Open Series is great b/c it puts it all under one roof and makes it cohesive...It is one of the parts of the year I look forward to most.

AR on age: I feel better physically now than I did 2 or 3 yrs. ago...I have no reason to believe that the end is anywhere close for me.

AR: (Since Wimbly) I've gotten a ton of emails and text messages, everyone was really supportive, moreso than any time in my career.

AR: (on wimbly) I'm getting to balls better, in better shape. I've made improvements, but it's a matter of getting everything to click.

AR: "I hope to come back to Indy in the future. it's a place I really enjoy playing. Have a lot of good memories from that tournament."

AR: On Indy "I'm disappointed I can't be a part of that this year."

AR: That 's what we play for (the fans), and especially a place like Indy .. the fans that are there are so passionate about tennis.

AR: "It's always my intention to play as many of the US hardcourt events evey year, and I have no doubt I'll be back to indy some time."

AR: (On US Open) It's the only Slam left, so that is the goal for the rest of the year.

arodfanpe666o
07-18-2009, 07:48 PM
He is talking about rest, not a treatment, that is a good thing. But he is not confident in playing even Washington...

Anyway, I hope he recovers at 100% soon.

Deboogle!.
07-18-2009, 08:16 PM
He's smart, he knows not to make promises in press conferences...

Winston's Human
07-18-2009, 10:58 PM
Better to play Washington (500 points) versus Los Angeles (250 points).

Deboogle!.
07-19-2009, 02:24 AM
indeed, especially since 4 are required. it'd only be good if he were gonna play both b/c LA should be a pretty easy title (like Indy), but that's probably not the best idea for him.

tangerine_dream
07-19-2009, 07:50 PM
I think one tournament - L.A or Washington would be fine. Just not to go cold into the masters events.

I respectfully disagree cuz I'm going to Legg Mason! :lol:
Ok you guys have convinced me Andy should play Washington. ;)

Hey Tangy:

I love your signature photographs on how to take a loss.
Thanks. :) Andy's classy way of handling that really puts into perspective how pathetic Roger's blubbering at AO was.

I read somewhere that James is not playing Indy because they wouldn't pay him the same appearance fee as Andy. This is disappointing to hear. I think James needs to re-evaluate himself; he needs to win a title more than he needs the extra dough. :tape:

http://www.wthr.com/Global/story.asp?S=10749689&nav=9Tai
Fans turn out for tennis tourney despite Roddick withdrawal
July 18, 2009

Indianapolis - Tennis fans in Indianapolis are reacting to star Andy Roddick's withdrawal from this week's tournament downtown.

Tournament promoters banked their image on Roddick's, but a hip injury forced him to back out. Roddick told reporters by phone he hasn't recouped enough from his championship loss at Wimbledon and that he regrets that he'll forego play in Indianapolis for the second year.

"It's definitely a disappointment," said fan Andrew Marchesani.

Qualifying for the tournament began Saturday and fans were already filling the seats to see the pros. the tournament director expects they'll be there throughout the week to cheer on other soon-to-be household names.

But no doubt, the big draw was Roddick. After his success at Wimbledon, ticket sales to the Indianapolis event increased 115 percent.

For some, it was what they looked forward to all week.

"Seeing Andy Roddick," said fan Judy Tyler. "I'm an Andy Roddick fan."

Tyler didn't know until Saturday that the star had withdrawn.

"Roddick is not going to be here?" she asked. "Wow."

"It's like any professional sport. Sometimes players get injured and they have to fall out," said an event official.

Tourney organizers insist the crowds will be just as wowed with other players and they've made sure to offer other family-friendly events.

"I guess it's still going to be good tennis," Marchesani said.

"I would have bought tickets whether Andy was coming or not, but he is so my favorite. I love him," Tyler said.

Organizers hope to confirm Roddick for next year's tournament. Championship play gets underway Sunday.

----------------

http://betting.betfair.com/tennis/players-under-the-microscope/us-open-betting-the-ressurgence-of-roddick-180709.html

US Open Betting: The ressurgence of Roddick
18 July 2009
by Simon Mundie

Federer was the man to walk away with the 2009 Wimbledon title but Simon Mundie believes Andy Roddick was the real star of the tournament. Here's the lowdown on the big-serving, swimsuit model marrying, all-round good guy who looks like he's back to his best.

"He’s been criticised for appearing one-dimensional, with poor volleys, sluggish movement and a toothless baseline game; but over the course of two weeks he reignited the belief that he may not end his career as a ‘One-Slam wonder’"

While it was Roger Federer who stood victorious after a sun blessed two weeks at Wimbledon, thus confirming himself as the most successful Grand Slam Champion of all time, the real star of the fortnight was Andy Roddick.

The popular Nebraskan was involved in three consecutive titanic tussles from the quarter finals onwards, and was but a whisker away from adding the men's singles crown to his lone Major trophy success to date, with one missed backhand volley in the second set tiebreak of the final (to take the second set) likely to haunt him for a long time yet. Had he converted that volley, it would have been a long way back for Federer, but it was not to be.

Roddick's sole major win at the US Open in 2003 was widely expected to be the first of many, but the American has failed to capitalise on that success, with any further Grand Slam successes looking less and less likely as the years have gone by. He's been criticised for appearing one-dimensional, with poor volleys, sluggish movement and a toothless baseline game; but over the course of two weeks he reignited the belief that he may not end his career as a 'One-Slam wonder'.

The clues that Roddick could have a good Wimbledon campaign were there as far back as the end of 2008, when he hired Larry Stefanki as his new coach. Stefanki had proven pedigree, taking Marcelo Rios and Yevgeny Kafelnikov to the number one ranking under his tutelage, as well as having a positive impact on the games of players like Fernando Gonzalez and Tim Henman, amongst others. To Roddick's credit, he said he was willing to do whatever Stefanki suggested to get him back competing with the best in the game, and he quickly realised that his and Stefanki's vision were not immediately one and the same.

One of the first conversations between the pair started with Stefanki asking what Roddick weighed, as he was sure his protégé needed to shed some weight to improve his mobility round the court. Roddick had beefed up since being world number one in 2003, partly because he believed the game was first and foremost about power.

Stefanki did not share that view, saying it was more about transitioning from defence to offence, and looking to finish the points in the forecourt. To be successful at that, Roddick had to slim down and come off what Stefanki referred to as the "Boris Becker diet", which was the reason behind the German's lack of mobility towards the end of his career.

True to his word, Roddick adopted Stefanki's way of thinking and got his weight down, and was repaid when the results quickly followed. At the start of 2009 Roddick reached the semi-finals of the Australian Open, taking out defending champion Novak Djokovic en route. He was solid throughout the American hardcourt season, and posted a career-best result at The French Open in reaching the fourth round. Just prior to Wimbledon, he had to pull out of his semi-final match at Queen's club with James Blake after twisting his ankle, which could have been a blessing in disguise in hindsight as it kept the magnifying glass of expectation off him.

Roddick's resurgence is certainly great for the game. He is one of the most popular players on tour, and is probably the world's best when it comes to providing journalists with amusing and insightful quotes in post match press conferences.

In America, he is one of their most celebrated athletes, being featured in publications such as Rolling Stone and Vogue, as well as being voted 'sexiest athlete' in People Magazine in 2003. His relationship history has kept him firmly in the gossip pages too, starting when he dated the actress and singer Mandy Moore and continuing to the present day with his recent marriage to Brooklyn Decker. Incidentally, he met his future wife after spotting her in the Sports Illustrated swimwear issue and asked his agent to arrange a date. The rest, as they say, is history!

The question now is how will Roddick recover from such a heartbreaking loss in the Wimbledon final? He realises that may well be the best opportunity he will ever have to be crowned men's singles champion at SW19, and that is a bitter pill to swallow. History suggests Roddick will bounce back; he prides himself on his ability to pick himself up after setbacks, and he has a chance to re-establish himself with the very best on tour. Ahead of him lies the American summer hardcourt season that leads up to the US Open, where Roddick can currently be backed at 17.0 to win a second title. It won't be easy, but he is definitely a contender once more, and there wouldn't be a more popular Champion than the nearly man of SW19.

Deboogle!.
07-19-2009, 07:55 PM
I read somewhere that James is not playing Indy because they wouldn't pay him the same appearance fee as Andy. This is disappointing to hear. I think James needs to re-evaluate himself; he needs to win a title more than he needs the extra dough. :tape:It's from the Indy paper, quoting the tourney director.... :tape: http://www.indystar.com/article/20090718/SPORTS/907180436/1287/SPORTS/Indy+loses+top+draw+Roddick+to+injury

tangerine_dream
07-19-2009, 08:04 PM
It's from the Indy paper, quoting the tourney director.... :tape: http://www.indystar.com/article/20090718/SPORTS/907180436/1287/SPORTS/Indy+loses+top+draw+Roddick+to+injury
He tried to practice last week but would wake up in pain? This sounds worse than what we originally thought. :sad:

Deboogle!.
07-19-2009, 08:08 PM
Well, just b/c Ken said it doesn't mean it's true :p :lol: I'll be pretty surprised (and concerned) if he's not ready to go for DC though

arodfanpe666o
07-19-2009, 08:25 PM
Let's hope things are not THAT serious, because if they are, it's not a good thing. Playing in MS event coming back from injury is not good for his chances. He needs to be warm and in-form, to play big there.

knight_ley
07-19-2009, 08:30 PM
James :(
Can we please not post things like that about him so I can live in my James-love bubble??! :lol:

Deboogle!.
07-19-2009, 08:33 PM
Let's hope things are not THAT serious, because if they are, it's not a good thing. Playing in MS event coming back from injury is not good for his chances. He needs to be warm and in-form, to play big there.Not that I think you're wrong (because I do think you're right) but remember back in 2006 when he was out for a few weeks, pulled out of Toronto/Montreal, and almost lost in the first round of Cincy?

arodfanpe666o
07-20-2009, 04:14 AM
Not that I think you're wrong (because I do think you're right) but remember back in 2006 when he was out for a few weeks, pulled out of Toronto/Montreal, and almost lost in the first round of Cincy?

Of course I remember. But that happens one time. Yes, he can win even a title coming back, but for me it is precedent, it won't think every time. Maybe I'm wrong. Just think that if he is in-form, with a few matches under his belt, he will do better. :)

Deboogle!.
07-20-2009, 04:24 AM
Yes, like I said, I generally agree... but he surprises us so often (good and bad) it's almost impossible to predict what's best for him at this point :sobbing:

arodfanpe666o
07-20-2009, 05:06 AM
If there is something that is something that is always good - being healthy. :)

tsurupettan
07-20-2009, 08:03 PM
:haha: Andy's latest tweets.

And :o at James. :tape:

Deboogle!.
07-20-2009, 09:09 PM
seriously he was on a roll this morning :lol: I guess that's good though that he's in good spirits and laughing about stuff :lol:

tangerine_dream
07-20-2009, 10:13 PM
Quick! Somebody be my 100th follower on Twitter. :bounce:

tennis lover
07-20-2009, 10:46 PM
Quick! Somebody be my 100th follower on Twitter. :bounce:
done! ;)

tangerine_dream
07-20-2009, 11:21 PM
done! ;)

Thank you. :kiss: You are magic number 100. :worship: I wanted a real person to be my 100th, not some spammer. :lol:

andymo
07-21-2009, 01:07 PM
Andy played LA in 2006, and again last year. I forget which year it was that he took a late WC. Last year he made the final, though. I doubt he'll take an LA WC this year, but he's done stranger things. And now that Ken and him broke off from SFX or whatever that agency is called now, his allegiance to DC might not be the same as it once was. But he's entered there, so I'm assuming he will play.

I am sorry I do not remember if Andy played Los Angeles last year. I really thought he only played in Washington. I think you know best. On Andy's website, it does not say anything about Andy playing Los Angeles. Tell me if I am wrong.

Winston's Human
07-21-2009, 01:58 PM
Andy played LA last year losing to Del Potro in the finals.

knight_ley
07-21-2009, 02:24 PM
I am sorry I do not remember if Andy played Los Angeles last year. I really thought he only played in Washington. I think you know best. On Andy's website, it does not say anything about Andy playing Los Angeles. Tell me if I am wrong.

Yea he def played last year cuz I watched it in my hotel in DC waiting for him to come to Legg Mason. :lol:

Deboogle!.
07-21-2009, 02:39 PM
Yeah, I saw him practice and play last year in person :lol:

tangerine_dream
07-21-2009, 05:37 PM
This has to be the best excuse I've read yet and of course the UK ragsheets report this story from his Twitter. :lol:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/tennis/article-1201198/Sweaty-Andy-Roddick-lost-Wimbledon-final-didnt-change-shirt-insists-postman.html

Sweaty Andy Roddick lost Wimbledon final because he didn't change shirt enough, insists his postman
By ALEX KAY
21st July 2009

http://www.menstennisforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=203023&stc=1&d=1248197834
Sweaty load: Roddick's mailman told the ace his wet shirts were weighing him down.

Ever since he was edged out so narrowly by Roger Federer in the Wimbledon final, Andy Roddick has been trying to find out why he lost, desperate for some closure, an end to the mental torture he has been suffering.

Was the Swiss mentally tougher than him, was it just a case of bad luck or were the Grand Slam gods conspiring against him?

Well, as the American found out yesterday, all he needed to do to find out the

Sweaty load: Roddick's mailman told the ace his wet shirts were weighing him down real reason for his defeat was ask the postman. Yes, the world No 5's mailman held the answer all along.

'The mailman just knocked on my door,' said Roddick on his Twitter. 'He informed me that the reason I lost the Wimbledon final was because I sweat a lot and don't change my shirt enough during the course of a match and it weighs me down. If I had only known.'

Wise words from the mailman indeed and great news for Roddick, who now knows what he will have to do to win the US Open for the second time in September.

Unless of course he chooses to doubt a man who opened with the line 'I don't know anything about sports or tennis but...'.

But why would he? Nothing else has worked. In fact, Roddick has already set to work on finding himself a new, lighter outfit for Flushing Meadows, which certainly hugs the skin a bit more and should prove the difference if he finds himself opposite Federer come men's final day again.

Although Roddick will no doubt be delighted with the mailman's revelation, his coach, Larry Stefanki, will surely be looking over his shoulder in the next few weeks.

If the change to lycra pays off, Roddick could be turning to his postman for advice in other areas of his game. Who knows, he could be posting new records in the near future with a string of first-class performances.

--------

*edit*

Adding some recent headlines.

Deboogle!.
07-21-2009, 07:39 PM
Andy just tweeted:

keep getting asked when my next tourney will be.... i will see all of u in washington in two weeks

tangerine_dream
07-21-2009, 10:00 PM
Let's see if there's another ticket sales spike. ;)

knight_ley
07-22-2009, 02:32 AM
Andy just tweeted:

keep getting asked when my next tourney will be.... i will see all of u in washington in two weeks

I saw that while at work and did a little jig.

tennisrocks123
07-22-2009, 05:44 AM
mary who is in your moving signature? a swimmer?

andymo
07-22-2009, 12:24 PM
Andy played LA last year losing to Del Potro in the finals.

Thanks for the info....

Deboogle!.
07-22-2009, 02:15 PM
mary who is in your moving signature? a swimmer?Yeah, it's Ryan Lochte :lol:

knight_ley
07-22-2009, 03:55 PM
Yeah, it's Ryan Lochte :lol:

Deb means, "Yeah, it's the most intelligent man in the world, Ryan Lochte, who also swims sometimes."

Deboogle!.
07-22-2009, 04:31 PM
mary:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

tangerine_dream
07-23-2009, 05:13 PM
"Federer, Nadal, Roddick head US Open men's field"
The Associated Press - ‎17 hours ago‎

This headline from Google looked strange to me and I figured out why. When was the last time Andy was mentioned in the same sentence as Roger and Rafa? Usually it's "Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic" (the Big Three) or "Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, and Murray" or some variation. They are the Big Four, after all. Andy was always on the outside looking in. A non-factor.

So now that he's sharing top billing space with the Fedal monopoly, does this mean he's part of the In crowd now? Does Andy's re-emergence make it The Big Five?

Or perhaps he's the Fifth Wheel? ;)

Jade Fox
07-23-2009, 07:08 PM
"Federer, Nadal, Roddick head US Open men's field"
The Associated Press - ‎17 hours ago‎

This headline from Google looked strange to me and I figured out why. When was the last time Andy was mentioned in the same sentence as Roger and Rafa? Usually it's "Federer, Nadal, and Djokovic" (the Big Three) or "Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, and Murray" or some variation. They are the Big Four, after all. Andy was always on the outside looking in. A non-factor.

So now that he's sharing top billing space with the Fedal monopoly, does this mean he's part of the In crowd now? Does Andy's re-emergence make it The Big Five?

Or perhaps he's the Fifth Wheel? ;)

Yeah it's been a while since RANDY has been in the conversation. And hey, nothing wrong with being a fifth wheel. For now, I'm fine with the fifth wheel. :cool:

tsurupettan
07-24-2009, 05:22 PM
Andy's tweet about Roger and Mirka's newborn girls. :awww: So cute!

Deboogle!.
07-28-2009, 11:29 PM
not quite andy-related, but I won tickets to the semifinals on saturday afternoon for the LA tourney. I have 3 tickets and 1 parking pass... if anyone is interested shoot me a PM :D

knight_ley
07-29-2009, 02:36 AM
Andy plays his first round match in Legg Mason on Tuesday night. I got an email from the tournament about it. :)

tsurupettan
07-29-2009, 01:43 PM
Andy getting some fun (and a little serve "practice"?) in. :p

Andy vs. Bobby Bones (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ua1zlLbaNtQ&fmt=18)

Raina
07-29-2009, 02:50 PM
Sampras also spared a thought for the devasted Roddick, who has now lost three Wimbledon finals to Federer.

"We all felt bad for Andy, he was distraught. He played so well and had his chances. But Roger was so stable and had more at the end. It was pretty cool for me - the future of sport is bright.

"Roger will win some more after 15. But Andy's performance was worthy of having his name (engraved) on that trophy.

:angel:

otowngurl86apa
07-29-2009, 03:43 PM
Andy plays his first round match in Legg Mason on Tuesday night. I got an email from the tournament about it. :)

They would announce that after I buy tickets to Wednesday too, just in case :lol: oh well more tennis for me! What days are you going Mary?

tangerine_dream
07-29-2009, 05:01 PM
:banana:
ESPN Classic will re-run great US Open matches

The US Open is still a month away, but you can relive the five-set classic 1980 final between top-seeded Bjorn Borg and second-seeded John McEnroe tonight.

Continuing its Countdown to the US Open, ESPN Classic will replay the 1980 final starting tonight at 9 p.m. Eastern time.

"He was the greatest rival of my entire career," said McEnroe. "It’s nice to feel like you’re in a small way part of tennis history. Of all the guys, there was this incredible magical connection between Bjorn and I that brings extra excitement to the events we play together."

The rest of ESPN Classic's Wednesday night schedule is as follows (each replay begins at 9 p.m. Eastern time):

August 5 — 2004 Women's Quarterfinals: Serena Williams vs Jennifer Capriati (the match that gave birth to Hawk Eye challenges :yeah: )

August 12 — 1989 Men's Quarterfinals: Jimmy Connors vs Andre Agassi (the "he's a punk you're a legend" match :rocker2:)

August 19 — 2001 Men's Quarterfinals: Pete Sampras vs Andre Agassi (watch this one, they showed Andy in the audience videotaping the match) :cool:

August 26 — 1981 Men's Final: John McEnroe vs Bjorn Borg (the match that ended Borg's career :sad: )

August 30 — 12 p.m.-12 a.m. Marathon

12 p.m. — 1979 Women's Final: Tracy Austin vs Chris Evert-Lloyd

2 p.m. — 1999 Women's Semifinal: Martina Hingis vs Venus Williams

4 p.m. — 1992 Men's Semifinal: Stefan Edberg vs Michael Chang

7 p.m. — 2003 Men's Semifinal: Andy Roddick vs David Nalbandian :D :banana: They are showing this match on Andy's birthday. :bdaycake:

10 p.m. — 1991 Men's Round of 16: Jimmy Connors vs Aaron Krickstein

tennis lover
07-29-2009, 06:46 PM
I've never seen that match. :awww: If only I could get that channel! :lol:

knight_ley
07-30-2009, 01:53 AM
They would announce that after I buy tickets to Wednesday too, just in case :lol: oh well more tennis for me! What days are you going Mary?

We have tickets for Monday - Wednesday. After Wed we always play it by ear.... We'll actually head down Sunday am so we're there for four days total for sure. After that we'll see!

otowngurl86apa
07-30-2009, 01:27 PM
We have tickets for Monday - Wednesday. After Wed we always play it by ear.... We'll actually head down Sunday am so we're there for four days total for sure. After that we'll see!

Awesome :) We'll be there Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday :) Where do you come from?

knight_ley
07-30-2009, 02:55 PM
Pa.

otowngurl86apa
07-30-2009, 02:57 PM
Cool beans! Maybe I'll see ya around..

tangerine_dream
07-30-2009, 08:45 PM
:wavey: Enjoy the matches you two. I'm debating taking a train to go see the final.

Here's a pic of Andy with his radio nerd buddy, Bobby Bones, taken on the 18th. Found it here:

http://www.atxgossip.com/2009/07/andy-roddick-and-bobby-bones.html

otowngurl86apa
07-30-2009, 08:48 PM
:wavey: Enjoy the matches you two. I'm debating taking a train to go see the final.

Here's a pic of Andy with his radio nerd buddy, Bobby Bones, taken on the 18th. Found it here:

http://www.atxgossip.com/2009/07/andy-roddick-and-bobby-bones.html

Finals day is a lot of fun! You should!

Deboogle!.
07-31-2009, 08:29 PM
Have fun, Andy :haha:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2009/418/mds.pdf

partygirl
07-31-2009, 08:43 PM
Here's a pic of Andy with his radio nerd buddy....

:eek::bolt:

Selby
07-31-2009, 09:25 PM
Have fun, Andy :haha:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2009/418/mds.pdf

That's not an easy draw coming back from a long break but it could be worse with such a quality field.

tangerine_dream
07-31-2009, 10:22 PM
That's an ideal draw for Andy, good players who can push him but not good enough to beat him, at least consistently. He's always better when he faces decent competition, he won't be allowed to sleepwalk or cruise. Washington's got a good field.

Deboogle!.
08-03-2009, 02:10 AM
Revitalized Roddick Returns
Top Seed Buoyed by Support in Wake of Wimbledon Final

By Liz Clarke
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, August 3, 2009

It has been four weeks since Andy Roddick played arguably the most brilliant match of his career yet lost, to Roger Federer, in a Wimbledon final settled by the longest fifth set in Grand Slam history.

And not a day has gone by that he hasn't thought about it.

"It has been a process," Roddick said in a telephone interview this week. "Every day, the way I look back on it might change a little bit. There are good days and bad. At least it wasn't one of those matches where I walked off and said, 'If I had played better.' "

And whenever Roddick has left his house since the heart-rending loss -- to run, go to the golf course or scoot out to dinner with his wife -- he has been bombarded by compliments on his effort and grit.

Even his mailman, conceding he didn't really know anything about tennis, had a thought to share. Roddick would have won the match, he told him when delivering a package one day, if he'd only changed his shirt more often during the four-hour plus marathon.

"God bless the guy! He meant well," Roddick said with a laugh. "I don't think that I've been part of something like that in my career, where I haven't gone five or 10 minutes since the final without somebody coming up and saying something nice. I don't know that I've ever had that much public support."

And it has played a big part, Roddick said, in helping him get back to the sport he loves.

Roddick returns to competitive tennis this week in Washington, choosing the Legg Mason Tennis Classic as his first tournament since Wimbledon. He'll open play Tuesday night.

When last seen on Wimbledon's lawn, Roddick was playing terrific tennis, with more variety in his strokes and more poise on court than he has ever shown. But given his month-long hiatus (partly to recovery from an injury to his right hip suffered in a nasty fall during the fourth set), Roddick is hardly predicting an immediate return to form.

"I think it would be presumptuous of me to come and expect to play as well as I have a month ago in my first match," said Roddick, 26, a three-time Legg Mason victor and the tournament's top seed. "I think if I can get past the first match or two, I'll be okay. Right now, I want to get through a match at a time. The goal is to find your form by the U.S. Open."

The Open, of course, is the only major Roddick has claimed in a decade as a pro. And his boyish face dissolved in tear-streaked disbelief when he won it, at 21, in 2003.

The achievement heralded the emergence of a new tennis star -- a golden-haired American with a booming serve and pulverizing forehand who would take up the mantle of Andre Agassi, Pete Sampras and John McEnroe.

But Federer derailed the narrative -- as he has the arc of so many careers -- by hitting every shot Roddick hit a bit better.

The two had met 20 times leading up to last month's Wimbledon championship, with Federer holding an 18-2 edge that included victories when it mattered most -- the 2004 and 2005 Wimbledon finals and the 2006 final of the U.S. Open.

And it had become increasingly difficult to watch Roddick flail away at the Swiss, always trying but never gaining ground. Roddick changed coaches. He tried different tactics. But once he'd fall behind, he'd revert to form -- blasting his serve, crushing his forehand and hoping for the best.

Still, Roddick reveled in success most professional athletes only dream about. He was ranked among the top eight in the world, with nearly $15 million in winnings, lucrative endorsements, fame, friends and a beautiful fiancť. But as he sized things up at the end of 2008, Roddick decided it wasn't enough.

"The way I looked at it, tennis in the grand scheme of what my life is going to end up being is going to be small number of years in which I actually got to play it," Roddick said. "I don't know that I'd be content playing at the level where I was playing at the end of last year. I didn't want to be on tour just to be on tour. I enjoyed competing and playing, but traveling six weeks in a row doesn't appeal to me that much. So I figured if I'm going to put in four or five more years, I may as well try to get the best of it."

He hired veteran coach Larry Stefanki, impressed by the fact that he'd found success with players of myriad styles and temperaments, whether right-handed or left-handed, baseline-hugging or attacking, subdued or ornery.

And from the outset, he cast himself as Stefanki's pupil rather than employer, vowing to follow orders and not give them.

Roddick showed up at Wimbledon 15 pounds lighter and boasting an arsenal of new shots and tactics -- an authoritative volley, an effective approach shot, a punishing down-the-line backhand -- and rock-solid emotional resolve.

The latter proved critical after Roddick squandered four set points that would have given him a two-sets-to-none lead.

Said Roddick: "I had a game plan and executed it pretty well. I was there mentally the whole time. Even after that second set, I stayed there. That was good sign for me -- something that before this year might have gotten to me and affected me more."

He attributes most of his new skills to "confidence things."

"It's easier to make a decision on what you're going to do if you have confidence in hitting the shot, just like it's easier to shoot a three-pointer when you don't think your range is [only] 16 feet and in," Roddick said. "Getting in good shape really helps mentally. You know you can stay the course. You don't need to rush shots or play a certain way before you get tired. I think I've gotten maybe a bit calmer during matches. Maybe a little more shortsighted, in the sense of, 'Okay, that point is done. Play the next one.' "

otowngurl86apa
08-03-2009, 12:27 PM
Andy's opening match for Legg Mason has been moved to Wednesday night. I'm heading up this afternoon :)

knight_ley
08-03-2009, 01:41 PM
Andy's opening match for Legg Mason has been moved to Wednesday night. I'm heading up this afternoon :)

I was hoping his tweets last night were wrong :lol: We have box seats for Tues so I guess we're gonna have to upgrade our Wed tickets now.

Plus I just found out the hotel doesn't provide a shuttle for fans anymore. :mad: Now I have to find out how to get there. I reallllllly don't want to drive. :(

otowngurl86apa
08-03-2009, 01:44 PM
We had really good tickets for Tuesday too :( Oh well!

Driving in really is so much easier than anything else! With the metro I find that you always have to leave early. I hate driving in the city, but it's sooooo much easier!!

Deboogle!.
08-03-2009, 02:12 PM
Blame Becker for making the LA doubles final for the match's move :lol: that's pretty silly for them to advertise it like that when it's subject to moving so easily :o

knight_ley
08-03-2009, 03:54 PM
Yayyy!!! Just found out whoever I talked to this am is a dumbass. The shuttle is still happening. :). I don't have to drive. :)

otowngurl86apa
08-03-2009, 03:59 PM
Yaay :)

jeahhh!
08-03-2009, 04:00 PM
This is good! :banana:

tangerine_dream
08-03-2009, 06:09 PM
Craig Stouffer from the Washington Examiner:

Andy Roddick witty, thoughtful, funny, direct when prodded. Asked how he'll deal with fact that he lost to Federer: "I'll keep you posted."

Lightest moment, though, was Roddick's retort on maturing, being married: "We like to cry ourselves to sleep at night with romance novels."

tangerine_dream
08-03-2009, 08:14 PM
Andy will be on Pardon the Interruption on ESPN tomorrow. They are taking questions for him on Twitter:

PTIShow We're interviewing Andy Roddick for tomorrow's show. Who's got a good question?

http://twitter.com/PTIShow

*EDIT*

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2009/aug/03/roddick-keeps-moving-forward/?feat=home_headlines

Roddick keeps 'moving forward'
by Tim Lemke
August 3, 2009

Andy Roddick wants you to know he's OK.

Really, he is.

A month after losing a memorable marathon final to Roger Federer at Wimbledon, the world's fifth-ranked player said he's more than ready to get back on the court and compete in preparation for the U.S. Open.

The banged-up body? Feeling good. The psyche? Don't worry. Because his appearance in Washington for the Legg Mason Classic this week is part of a big, largely positive journey that began in December when he decided to buckle down and reshape his game.

"One thing I've been very conscious of this year is that it's a continual process, and this is part of that process," said Roddick, who faces the winner of Benjamin Becker and American Robby Ginepri in his opening match Wednesday. "I'm having difficulty separating Wimbledon from the rest of the year. And I know everyone's focusing on that, but I feel like I've been doing a lot of the things I was doing at Wimbledon from January forward."

There is little doubt that Roddick is having one of his best seasons to date, and even he acknowledges that he is now a better player than when he won his only Grand Slam title at the U.S. Open in 2003. He is ligher, faster and more aggressive. His groundstrokes are more penetrating. And in terms of endurance, he has few equals.

The transformation came at the end of last year, when, after a lackluster finish to the season, he signed on with new coach Larry Stefanki. Together, the two constructed a game plan that focused on fitness and nutrition.

"You're either moving forward or you're moving backwards, and the last six months of last year, I felt like I was maybe moving the wrong way," Roddick said. "I dealt with some injuries, and then you start dealing with self-belief and you come back and you take it on the chin a couple times...but I'm going to be out here. I'm going to be playing tennis, so it was a matter of what avenues haven't I explored?"

The results were almost immediate. He reached the finals of a tournament in Doha, then outlasted third-ranked Novak Djokovic in 110 degree heat to reach the semifinals of the Australian Open. He won at Memphis, had a best-ever fourth-round result at the French Open and had solid results throughout the spring. Then came Wimbledon, where he took the mighty Federer to five sets before falling, 16-14. It was a loss that he admits stings to this day. But he is also aware that he was a part of something memorable.

"That part of it is never lost on me, even 10 second after the final I still realized it was a pretty special thing," he said. "Normally you don't get hurt by tennis losses. You're mad, you're angry, you're this or that. But yeah, that hurt. But at the same time, it's still a pretty good existence to be able to go out and play matches like that."

Selby
08-03-2009, 10:40 PM
Is there any transcript of the DC press conference? thanks

Deboogle!.
08-03-2009, 11:18 PM
Don't see one, but sometimes it takes 24 hours for them to be posted...

partygirl
08-04-2009, 12:11 AM
Practice pics on Flick'r :lol:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/geetarfreak102/with/3786224471/

Deboogle!.
08-04-2009, 12:59 AM
oyyyyyyyyyyy :lol:

snaillyyy
08-04-2009, 01:36 AM
:lol: such a goof.

Deboogle!.
08-04-2009, 02:30 AM
holy CRAP andy what a KERJ.

andyroddick sorry all... this is gonna take more then 140 to explain.. solved the ticket situation in DC
andyroddick there is gonna be a giveaway on wed morning at a yet-to-be determined place in georgetown.. first priority goes to twitter followers who
andyroddick can show a ticket stub from the would have been match on tuesday night... we are thinking around 11 in the morning and my buddy dillon will
andyroddick be the one giving out tickets.. leftovers go first come first serve in line at the location.. i have a place in mind and will have it
andyroddick confirmed by mid day tomorrow..... come get free tix!!!!!

tsurupettan
08-04-2009, 02:48 AM
ikr, what a big fat kerj of him for doing that. :o

I grinned so much when I read that... then it was spoiled by one guy being a douche because Andy did a long message broken up in tweets. :o

starr_00
08-04-2009, 04:39 AM
That is just unbelievably awesome. At 11pm over on the east coast no less he was on the phone with the tourney director on his own time trying to get his fans in there. This is so amazing, I feel like I need to post it in GM.

Deboogle!.
08-04-2009, 02:43 PM
I dare you to start a thread :rolls: just kidding. I can't imagine what people would say - probably that he has an ulterior motive or was getting paid or something :D

kaylee
08-04-2009, 03:01 PM
awwww gotta luv Andy!!!!!!

tangerine_dream
08-04-2009, 03:26 PM
Tweet tweet :)

ptbodo Goran Ivanisevic tells David Law of ATP Champions Tour: "Roddick can still win Wimbledon". Goran watched entire final and bled for Andy.

*EDIT*

The "It Must Be Love" promos are starting to appear around NYC. Here's one seen on a city bus. :)

starr_00
08-04-2009, 04:59 PM
I dare you to start a thread just kidding. I can't imagine what people would say - probably that he has an ulterior motive or was getting paid or something
Lol. Done and done. People have been surprisingly nice so far. It's the "coolest thing a pro has done for fans" thread.

ptbodo Goran Ivanisevic tells David Law of ATP Champions Tour: "Roddick can still win Wimbledon". Goran watched entire final and bled for Andy.
Aww. Sounds like one of us Andy fans. Everyone who likes Andy was bleeding for him at the end of that final. It was cruel.

Deboogle!.
08-04-2009, 05:50 PM
:haha: I love it, I'm shocked at the nice comments :haha:

tsurupettan
08-04-2009, 06:04 PM

:awww: :hug: That's so sweet of him.

starr_00
08-04-2009, 06:21 PM
Love the story you posted over there Deb - never heard that Houston '01 story before. He's such a kerj.

Andy just twittered that he's going on a tour of the white house... I wonder if Obama is around for a handshake? That would be pretty cool.

I knew I loved Goran (to be honest, he was my first bigtime tennis crush... before Pat Rafter).

Deboogle!.
08-04-2009, 06:26 PM
I can't believe he's tweeting from the white house :haha: If the dog's around i guess so's the prez? Today's obama's birthday :rolls:

starr_00
08-04-2009, 07:28 PM
I don't know why I'm finding this to be such an amusing Andy day.

I'm bored at work and surfing around on Twitter. Justin Gimelstob submitted a bunch of question for Andy on tonight's Pardon the Interruption, LOL:
PTIShow ask him how he finally figured out how to use his left hand on his bh? or why he owes all of his success to our friendship?

or ask him what his record for Yellowtail/Jalepeno consumption at Nobu is? or why he felt compelled to move by himself in NYC?

you can ask him why he decided against ironing his shirt for his wedding?or how is track workout was the morning after his wedding?

ask him about his freakish back mutation which is the reason for him being able to serve 150 MPH? good luck...

Ha! Will espn ask one of the celebrity tweets? We shall see, lol.

tangerine_dream
08-04-2009, 08:44 PM
http://www.tennis.com/features/general/features.aspx?id=181344

Andy Roddick: 4 More Things You Donít Know

In an upcoming issue of TENNIS magazine, Douglas Robson offers us five things we didnít know about Andy Roddick. Here are four more, for good measure, left over from that interview:

CHARITY WORK MEANS MORE TO HIM THAN WINNING AT TENNIS.
ďItís more lasting than any tennis match Iíll win. Iím pretty proud of what weíve been able to accomplish, but you donít get to do that stuff without winning on the court.Ē

HE COULD LIVE IN THE LAND DOWN UNDER.
ďI donít think Iíll ever leave Austin. I like London, but we go there when itís actually decent as far as weather goes, so maybe [I could live in] Australia.Ē

HE HAS SECRET DAVIS CUP STORIES.
ďThereís a lot you donít know and thereís a lot you will continue not to know.Ē

THERE'S A DOWN SIDE TO TOUR LIFE.
ďProbably just being away from friends. I love competing. Iím very aware of what I get to do for a living is pretty cool. But I miss being away from my friends and feeling out of the loop when I do get home."

tsurupettan
08-04-2009, 09:21 PM
I don't know why I'm finding this to be such an amusing Andy day.

Today has def. shaped up to be a totally amusing Andy day. :yeah: Andy's latest tweets... :lol:

andyroddick at a running shoe store and a guy just told the saleman the shoes he was trying on were too comfortable and had him take them away
andyroddick what a butthead
andyroddick and he was definitely wearing jorts

I have no idea why I find the last two tweets so hilarious, but I do. Especially the added-on "jorts" comment. :haha:

tangerine_dream
08-04-2009, 09:33 PM
Andy will be on Pardon the Interruption in a few minutes, watch it here (http://www.atdhe.net/7215/watch-espn).

If you miss it, the show will repeat in an hour on ESPN2.

starr_00
08-04-2009, 10:00 PM
LOL re: the story about tons of people coming up to Andy on the street and apologizing for him profusely after the Wimbledon loss.

partygirl
08-04-2009, 11:13 PM
HE HAS SECRET DAVIS CUP STORIES.
ďThereís a lot you donít know and thereís a lot you will continue not to know.Ē

:speakles::secret::aplot::aplot::banghead::baby:

Deboogle!.
08-05-2009, 01:13 AM
PTI's on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C7FiZyZ4qI

elodieee
08-05-2009, 07:55 AM
he will be on David letterman on 27/08!
http://tv.msn.com/tv/series-episodes/late-show-with-david-letterman/?ipp=15

weird,he's not playing US Open the same week??

MacTheKnife
08-05-2009, 12:21 PM

weird,he's not playing US Open the same week??

Good interview and perspective from A-rod. I heard it on my podcast this morning and came here to see if it was posted. To bad this would get blasted on GM for not belonging there. I think a lot of fans that didn't hear it would enjoy it.

kaylee
08-05-2009, 02:29 PM
I expect he isn't playing that night (umm can't think of another reason) must put on the pvr.

Deboogle!.
08-05-2009, 02:48 PM

weird,he's not playing US Open the same week??The US open doesn't start til Aug 31 this year..... and thanks for the heads up on that!

tangerine_dream
08-05-2009, 03:08 PM
Andy getting great press for once. http://i16.tinypic.com/48nxdet.jpg

tennis lover
08-05-2009, 04:30 PM
PTI's on youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_C7FiZyZ4qI
not available in my country! :o anything of particular interest that I'm missing out on? :p

Heather1229
08-05-2009, 05:20 PM
This might not belong here so apologies in advance! I am trying to get tickets for my mom and I to go to the first Sat of the Open, has anyone ever used tennistours.com to obtain tickets? Just looking for feedback! Thanks!:)

tsurupettan
08-05-2009, 05:47 PM
not available in my country! :o anything of particular interest that I'm missing out on? :p

Can you see the video here (http://video.aol.com/video-detail/pti-five-good-minutes-with-andy-roddick/4106164122) instead? It's on AOL instead of YT.

tangerine_dream
08-05-2009, 05:49 PM
The video's available on the front page of ESPN (http://espn.go.com/tennis/) maybe that will help?

Heather, tennistours is a legit company so go ahead and give them a call. :)

Heather1229
08-05-2009, 06:05 PM
thanks so much, Tangy! :)

tangerine_dream
08-05-2009, 10:20 PM
Is there no coverage at all of Andy's match tonight? No livestreams? No Tennis Channel? Not even a lame radio broadcast? :sad:

I hope somebody twitters from the match at least.

tennis lover
08-05-2009, 10:37 PM
The video's available on the front page of ESPN (http://espn.go.com/tennis/) maybe that will help?
that's great, thank you! :kiss:

I haven't actually watched tennis in forever (since that match :awww: ) and I've barely even had chance to check scores and stuff recently, this makes me sad. I am a bad tennis fan! :o hopefully Andy will stay in the tournament until saturday/sunday and then I might actually get chance to watch him play again! :banana:

Deboogle!.
08-05-2009, 10:56 PM
don't think so, tangy :awww: I know in LA They don't set up the cameras til Thursday, not sure if DC is the same

Deboogle!.
08-06-2009, 12:46 AM
great start andy, keep it up :yeah:

Golfnduck
08-06-2009, 01:19 AM
Good win, Sam's next. Hopefully he'll serve at a little higher percentage.

Deboogle!.
08-06-2009, 01:36 AM
:)

tangerine_dream
08-06-2009, 02:47 AM
Good win after four weeks off. :worship:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=203307&d=1249522207

What a smile. I'll bet the crowd went nuts for him when he entered the court. You can see how much the crowd's adulation means to him. Damn ESPN for not showing this match. :(

*edit*

Adding some pics.

partygirl
08-06-2009, 03:33 AM
nice shirt:)

Deboogle!.
08-06-2009, 04:36 AM
BTW, tonight was Andy's 499th career win............

----------------------------------------

Roddick Is Back in Business
After Layoff, Top Seed Makes Easy Work of Becker at Legg Mason Classic

By Liz Clarke
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, August 6, 2009

He was showered with applause before he even struck a ball.

Andy Roddick applauded in return, turning to all sides of the stadium court Wednesday night to salute the tennis fans who were saluting him as he strode out for his first match since the heart-rending loss to Roger Federer at Wimbledon last month.

Washingtonians will get another chance to cheer the top-ranked American, with Roddick sailing through his opening match at the Legg Mason Tennis Classic in 55 minutes -- less time than it took him to play that arduous fifth and final set at Wimbledon.

After a four-week layoff to heal body and spirit, Roddick didn't expect to launch pursuit of a fourth Legg Mason title this week in top form. But he pronounced his game "fine" after utterly overwhelming 47th-ranked Benjamin Becker, 6-3, 6-2, to advance to the tournament's third round and a meeting Thursday night with fellow American Sam Querrey.

Just 24 hours earlier, Becker (no relation to his more accomplished countryman, Boris) had looked so imposing in bouncing American Robby Ginepri in the tournament's first round.

But whatever magic Becker had conjured against Ginepri was absent against Roddick, who broke the German to open the first set and did so again to set the tone in the second set.

Without doing anything particularly fancy, Roddick reduced Becker to a journeyman, unleashing far more power, pace and precision than his opponent could handle.

"I wanted to get out there and make him play a lot of balls and get my feet under me and not overplay out of the gates," Roddick said. "I wanted to work way into the match, get some rallies going and try to do the basics well."

Roddick stopped well short of proclaiming himself in peak form. While he blasted eight aces and didn't double-fault once, he said he was disappointed in his first-service percentage (58 percent, when he'd like to see about 70 percent).

But the serve is one aspect of the game that rarely lets Roddick down, and it's a safe bet that he'll shake off any residual rust in the matches to come.

Better still is the fact that his right hip, which he injured in a nasty tumble during the fourth set of the Wimbledon final, felt great. Roddick moved well through the match, struck the ball cleanly and cleverly placed it where he intended.

While Roddick would count his stay in Washington a success if he ends up hoisting another Legg Mason trophy after Sunday's final, his sights are on a far bigger prize: the U.S. Open championship, to date the only major he has won.

Currently the world's fifth-ranked player, Roddick won't arrive in New York as a top seed, eclipsed in the standings these days by Federer, Rafael Nadal, Andy Murray and Novak Djokovic.

But he will no doubt be met by more support than he ever has, having won profound respect through his showing at Wimbledon for the way he has retooled a once two-dimensional game and refined a personality that had alternated between cocky and petulant.

Even members of the media, who duly noted Roddick's failure to evolve into a perennial Grand Slam contender after winning the 2003 U.S. Open at age 21, have taken note of his new fitness, his mental resolve and the strokes that have added an element of surprise to a game that had bordered on predictable.

"I do think people maybe early on in my career had an idea of what I was about," Roddick said. "But I certainly didn't do myself any favors at the time with the way I was on court. I don't think it's a stretch to say [that] any 26-year-old is probably more mature than they were when they were 19. I've just had an audience."

On Wednesday night, Roddick had an audience again. And this time, they were uniformly adoring -- fans of all ages who enveloped him in a swarm as he trudged toward the locker room following his post-match news conference. They shouted "Andy!" "Andy!" as flashbulbs popped around him. They thrust programs, Sharpies and giant tennis balls at him, begging for autographs. Two teenage girls wore custom-made pink T-shirts that read, "RODDICK-ULOUS!"

And Roddick did his best to accommodate them all, signing and smiling as he walked.

Earlier in the week, Roddick was asked whether he felt tennis fans had a good understanding of who he was -- and whether he felt his performance at Wimbledon had changed that.

"I've pretty much been portrayed as every single thing that you can," Roddick mused. "[I've been] the new eager guy. They tried to turn me into Zac Efron. Then you're the punk. Then you're the has-been. Then you're the guy who's just somewhere in the middle and blends in. Then you're -- after Wimbledon -- the Andy-every-guy who people are cheering for all the sudden. And all the meat and potatoes of who I am hasn't really changed much.

"But I'll take the good coverage when it's there," he added, "because I know it's fleeting."

In other action Wednesday, Querrey earned his third-round match against Roddick, who is 2-0 against him in his young career, with a 6-3, 6-4 victory over Igor Kunitsyn.

Also advancing were two former world No. 1s: Juan Carlos Ferrero of Spain, who vanquished countryman Tommy Robredo, 6-3-, 6-2, and Australia's Lleyton Hewitt, who dismissed Dudi Sela of Israel, 6-3, 2-6, 6-2.

Croatia's Ivo Karlovic blasted 18 aces en route to a 6-4, 7-5 victory over Rainer Schuettler to set up a third-round meeting with two-time NCAA singles champion Somdev Devvarman, a native of India and graduate of the University of Virginia.

Golfnduck
08-06-2009, 01:30 PM
Next match against Sam.....hopefully Andy can get win #500. That would be really amazing.

andymo
08-06-2009, 01:47 PM
Cannot access twitter, for an hour now.

kaylee
08-06-2009, 01:53 PM
oh I thought it was my computer and twitter - must be the servers or something - anyway good win for Andy and yes I liked the shirt too. We have coverage here online tomorrow but not sure what time it starts.

Deboogle!.
08-06-2009, 02:42 PM
yeah, it's down http://blogs.usatoday.com/technologylive/2009/08/twitter-investigating-site-outage.html

Selby
08-06-2009, 04:02 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TXeDM7msaQ
Only video from the match I found...

Deboogle!.
08-06-2009, 04:27 PM
thanks! :D

knight_ley
08-06-2009, 05:53 PM
FYI i'll have a ton of pix plus a video from Andy's match last night. I may have to go to the hospital this afternoon due to possibly having broken my foot, but by tonight I'll post them! :)

partygirl
08-06-2009, 06:09 PM
I may have to go to the hospital this afternoon due to possibly having broken my foot, but by tonight I'll post them! :)
We Love pics:)
:hug:Hope you don't have to wear the metal boot:awww:, had that a few times.:(:sobbing:

tangerine_dream
08-06-2009, 06:28 PM
Oh no Mary, how did you bust your foot? I hope it's not broken. :hug:

CBS Sports photos stinks now, they got rid of the HQ images. :ras:

Deboogle!.
08-06-2009, 06:40 PM
yikes mary, be careful :awww:

Deboogle!.
08-06-2009, 07:24 PM

tsurupettan
08-06-2009, 08:24 PM
Hmm... I dunno if I like the shirt or not. :scratch: Maybe I just need to see it a few more times and get really used to it.

OnyxRose
08-06-2009, 08:55 PM
I think my dad had a shirt like that.

tennis lover
08-06-2009, 11:14 PM
:banana: yay, a win! now for the big 500...:bounce:

knight_ley
08-07-2009, 02:21 AM
Time for some pix!

knight_ley
08-07-2009, 02:23 AM
mas!

Deboogle!.
08-07-2009, 02:24 AM
thanks mary!! :D

knight_ley
08-07-2009, 02:25 AM
the end... including my ~awesome pic of Andy walking to his car. My camera died so I had to quick search for my phone and get any pic I could on that. :haha:

knight_ley
08-07-2009, 02:26 AM
Oh, I have a little video of part of his speech, I just need to figure out where to upload it. So as soon as I figure that out, I'll post that.

Deboogle!.
08-07-2009, 02:29 AM
hmm..... can you upload to youtube?

knight_ley
08-07-2009, 02:36 AM
I tried embedding it but it was being dumb, so here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN6k0FugRSU

Deboogle!.
08-07-2009, 02:39 AM
Somehow Andy managed to get his 500th career win tonight.. but 6 DFs in 2 sets and more DFs than Aces is definitely not something he'll be happy with.. Karlovic in the QFs tomorrow, should be on espn2....

Thanks Mary! :D

Deboogle!.
08-07-2009, 03:16 AM

starr_00
08-07-2009, 05:43 AM
Are you guys reading the twitter fight that Andy and Serena are having? LOL forever.

tsurupettan
08-07-2009, 05:59 AM
That shit is priceless. :lol:

Selby
08-07-2009, 08:21 AM
OMG what happened to his serve? :lol:
But he still got the W :worship:

arodfanpe666o
08-07-2009, 09:45 AM
He will desperately need his serve against Karlovic.

tennis lover
08-07-2009, 12:56 PM
500 wins baby! :banana: it might not have been pretty but a win is a win...time to get better for the next match though! :bounce:

kaylee
08-07-2009, 01:36 PM
I agree and yes keep twittering Andy awesome!

tennismusiclover
08-07-2009, 02:54 PM
HEY EVERYBODY!!!! uhm...ok...im a major lurker around here, been an andy fan since he was 17...quick question for you guys (btw...you're hilarious!!!!!! :devil: )...is anyone broadcasting the quarter finals today? well, i really wanna watch one of andy's matches, even if it's gonna be a major snoozefest!
thanks!
Anca (tangerine, im actually following you on twitter...thanks for the updates and stuff...:D)

Deboogle!.
08-07-2009, 02:54 PM
Growing Into a Role Forced Upon Him Long Ago

By Mike Wise
Friday, August 7, 2009

Moments after his heirloom at Wimbledon last month against Roger Federer, where he displayed equal portions of grit and graciousness in defeat, Andy Roddick's agent sent him an e-mail.

"Andy, you lost a very tough match and I know you're discouraged," the message from Donald Dell read. "But you won a nation." :awww:

Dell related the anecdote standing in his box seats at the Legg Mason Tennis Classic on Wednesday night, where the ProServ founder who once represented Arthur Ashe and Jimmy Connors saw his latest client easily move on to the tournament's quarterfinals in Roddick's first match, post-All England club.

"I really believe that, that Andy has a different image now," Dell added. "He's thought of now as an experienced American hope as opposed to the young kid who last won the U.S. Open" in 2003.

"You know, I thought he would dominate tennis in America for seven or eight years after that."

Heck, didn't everyone?

You didn't have to be a tennis nut to be enraptured by the beady-eyed, hyper-intense 21-year-old who reared back and served bullets at the 2003 U.S. Open. And won the whole thing, portending what was supposed to be a litany of Grand Slams.

Roddick then was what The Post's Liz Clarke evocatively described as the "golden-haired American with a booming serve and pulverizing forehand who would take up the mantle of Andre Agassi, Pete Sampras and John McEnroe."

But then came Rafael Nadal and Federer and the kid's most formidable foe of all: Andy Roddick. He became his own critical parent after each lost point, mentally obsessing over something that happened in the first set while forgetting he was physically locked in a fourth-set tiebreak.

Until this past December, when Larry Stefanki helped fuse his mind and body, until they were in the same place at the same time, until Roddick's "inner belief" and "knowingness" was siphoned out by a renowned tennis coach.

And just like that, despite all our attempts to label him in his youth, Andy Roddick became the greatest American men's player post-Sampras-Agassi after all.

"Sometimes when you carry baggage along after a negative moment, it tends to eat you up inside," Stefanki said in a telephone interview Thursday afternoon. "That was Andy before he was ready to make that change, to let it go and move on to the next point.

"I hear people say, 'You should have been around for him at 19.' But they don't understand. He wasn't ready to listen. In those eight years, your emotions, body and responsibilities change. He's married now. He's calmer. He's open to information he might not have been then. Andy is just in a very, very good space right now."

He's also suddenly beloved beyond belief.

"Hey Andy," a young, ponytailed woman of maybe 20 called out Wednesday night after his match, "I played with you five years ago. You remember?"

Before Roddick could place the face, he was besieged by children in "Rod-iculous" T-shirts. And Moms holding Sharpies, shoving oversized tennis balls forward to be signed.

"AN-DEE! AN-DEE!" dozens of kids kept chanting outside center court Wednesday, refusing to go home until he came out.

"My day-to-day life, I don't know if I've ever had this much public support before," he had said earlier when he spoke to members of the media. "It's nice."

"I don't know, I do think people maybe early on in my career had an idea of what I was about. I certainly didn't do myself any favors at times with the way I was on the court."

Yeah, but in hindsight he wasn't the problem.

We were, all the fans and reporters and the game's analysts who labeled him too early.

We never let anyone grow up in sports, do we? Whether it's crucifying Tiger Woods when he was 20 for telling a crude joke or assuming Allen Iverson was always going to be a young knucklehead, we don't hand out youth handicaps to our athletic heroes the way we do for everyone else in life -- including ourselves.

We decided Roddick would forever be a young hothead, who was supposed to be incapable of ever enrapturing us in a Grand Slam final again because we thought he was either too busy obsessing over a lost point and beating himself up psychologically or he flat-out couldn't diversify his big-serve, blistering-forehand attack.

When his backhand began blazing down the line and he came to the net more comfortably -- when his added tools and touch combined to give him an all-around game -- it threw us for a loop, much the way a young, flaky Agassi threw us for a loop when he began maturing and playing his best tennis after the age of 27.

At the least, F. Scott Fitzgerald's line, "There are no second acts in American lives," doesn't apply to American tennis; Roddick is changing the way we feel about him as a player much the same way Agassi altered perception.

"I'm going to enjoy it while it lasts, because, you know, this stuff is fleeting," Roddick said, signing his name and parting the masses while he spoke.

It's interesting to think that, in our winning-is-everything society, Andy Roddick became Andy Rockstar only after he lost a pulsating, five-set Wimbledon final to Federer, a match in which he had one break point against him -- the point Federer won for the match and his record 15th Grand Slam.

"What people don't realize about that match at Wimbledon, when you're serving in the fifth set and there's no tiebreaker at Wimbledon, he's down 4-5, 5-6 -- he's 14 service games behind," said Dell, a former Davis Cup captain. "You miss your first serve you're thinking, 'If I lose this point, I'm down three match points.' He did that for 14 consecutive games! That's the pressure that nobody understands unless you have played. You're always behind in that deal."

He dealt with the pressure and performed, and when he lost he comported himself in defeat as if he had won. And his poise amazingly matched his passion, which none of us who judged him saw coming.

"I don't think it's a stretch to say any 26-year-old is more mature than when they were 19," Andy Roddick said. "I just had an audience."

Deboogle!.
08-07-2009, 02:55 PM
HEY EVERYBODY!!!! uhm...ok...im a major lurker around here, been an andy fan since he was 17...quick question for you guys (btw...you're hilarious!!!!!! :devil: )...is anyone broadcasting the quarter finals today? well, i really wanna watch one of andy's matches, even if it's gonna be a major snoozefest!
thanks!
Anca (tangerine, im actually following you on twitter...thanks for the updates and stuff...:D)Hi, welcome :) Yes, it'll be on espn2 live at 7pm Eastern US time. Should be some online streams available too:)

tennismusiclover
08-07-2009, 03:00 PM
sweeet! thanks!!! thanks for that article (and the other ones, and photos, videos etc)

Deboogle!.
08-07-2009, 03:02 PM
You're welcome! :) Glad you've decided to start posting :D

tangerine_dream
08-07-2009, 05:31 PM
Hi and welcome tennismusiclover. :wavey: Thanks for adding me on twitter. :cool:

Quote: "Until this past December, when Larry Stefanki helped fuse his mind and body, until they were in the same place at the same time, until Roddick's "inner belief" and "knowingness" was siphoned out by a renowned tennis coach." . . .

"And just like that, despite all our attempts to label him in his youth, Andy Roddick became the greatest American men's player post-Sampras-Agassi after all." . . .

"He's also suddenly beloved beyond belief."
--

This was a very good article that put into words the shifting of opinion that, I feel, began with the Hewitt QF match, crescendoed with the Murray semifinal, and then peaked in the final. Still now I can't explain it myself but it's almost like people were looking at him with new eyes, or re-discovering him. Or something. I don't know. But I'm glad all of these people finally saw in Andy what we've seen in him all along. I hope the honeymoon continues. :)

*edit*

USA Today suffers a Yahoo!-like sports headline moment:

http://www.menstennisforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=203443&stc=1&d=1249673226

*edit again*

Adding photos from the Samburger SF match.

Selby
08-07-2009, 08:24 PM
Canada masters:
http://www.atpworldtour.com/posting/2009/421/mds.pdf

Deboogle!.
08-07-2009, 08:39 PM
Couldn't ask for a better draw really, a bunch of out-of-form players before the QF and Novak in the QF. Step up Andy.

tennismusiclover
08-07-2009, 09:37 PM
Couldn't ask for a better draw really, a bunch of out-of-form players before the QF and Novak in the QF. Step up Andy.

have to agree on this one...he needs legg mason under his belt (it would mean more time on court before montreal), really...serve better, andy! pls! thanks! :(

tangerine, my name is Anca...4 letters are easier to type ;)

absolutely loved that article...but we know what happens usuallyt...one wrong step and everybody will leave the cheering group...:rolleyes:

OnyxRose
08-07-2009, 09:55 PM
Hi Anca...that's a pretty name. :)

That's a veerrry nice draw.

acoffeygirl
08-07-2009, 11:02 PM
Anyone have a link for the match online? I have things bookmarked at home, but shhhh I'm at work now. :)

Edit: Found it!

knight_ley
08-07-2009, 11:03 PM
I hate watching on tv when I was just there a day or so ago :bigcry:.

Golfnduck
08-08-2009, 12:54 AM
Good win, not great. Andy could still tweak his serve a little. Isner or Berdych next.....should be interesting.

tsurupettan
08-08-2009, 01:11 AM
:lol: I liked Andy in the ESPN studio afterwards, esp. near the end with all the tall player talk. :lol:

Deboogle!.
08-08-2009, 01:21 AM

Deboogle!.
08-08-2009, 02:01 AM

Winston's Human
08-08-2009, 03:48 AM
I am glad Andy won, but annoyed that my DVR screwed up taping this match. Somehow, it taped it at some choppy-fast forward pace. Grrr.

Deboogle!.
08-08-2009, 03:52 AM
interview:
http://www.tennistv.com/page/TennisTV/TournamentInterviews/Washington/0,,11444~1747358,00.html (http://www.tennistv.com/page/TennisTV/TournamentInterviews/Washington/0,,11444%7E1747358,00.html)
something just for you kate :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

isner it is, who almost mucked up his match tonight, he could be quite tired....

tsurupettan
08-08-2009, 11:10 AM
:lol: First Querrey, then Karlovic, now Isner, then possibly Del Potro (depending if both win their matches, of course ;) :p).

andymo
08-08-2009, 05:59 PM
:lol: First Querrey, then Karlovic, now Isner, then possibly Del Potro (depending if both win their matches, of course ;) :p).

And all much taller than Andy, the shortest remaining is Gonzalez.LOL...but Andy is the best.

Gretchen.
08-08-2009, 07:51 PM
:wavey: Hi I usually post over on the Frenchies forums, but I've always loved Andy and thought that instead of lurking here all the time :p :lol: I should also say hi and that you guys are pretty funny ;) and also I will be going to US Open this year so will be contributing pics when that time comes :)

Deboogle!.
08-08-2009, 07:53 PM
bonjour and welcome! :D glad you started posting :D

Gretchen.
08-08-2009, 07:57 PM

knight_ley
08-08-2009, 09:01 PM
Welcome! :wavey: Have fun with us! We're a good group! ;)

otowngurl86apa
08-08-2009, 09:19 PM
We're home now, but we had a great time! Saw Andy play his first match only! I got a bunch of pics from our sky high seats! Will post on Monday at work :)

Deboogle!.
08-08-2009, 09:20 PM
glad you made it home :) hope you had a good time!

so if andy wins tonight it'll be del potro in the final, well, del potro was hardly impressive today and looked exhausted by the end. Step the F up Andy :fiery:

knight_ley
08-08-2009, 09:22 PM

so if andy wins tonight it'll be del potro in the final, well, del potro was hardly impressive today and looked exhausted by the end. Step the F up Andy :fiery:

:yeah:

otowngurl86apa
08-08-2009, 09:24 PM

Thanks! It was great, we saw some awesome matches!

knight_ley
08-08-2009, 10:25 PM
Thanks! It was great, we saw some awesome matches!

I was pleased with the matches I saw as well, except for the end of Mardy's. :o

We didn't go to any matches in the stadium on Monday or Tuesday though, so kind of a waste that we paid the extra $ for the box seats, but oh well. Great matches on the outside courts tho those days!

otowngurl86apa
08-08-2009, 10:59 PM
I was pleased with the matches I saw as well, except for the end of Mardy's. :o

We didn't go to any matches in the stadium on Monday or Tuesday though, so kind of a waste that we paid the extra $ for the box seats, but oh well. Great matches on the outside courts tho those days!

Yeah, I'm with you on that! Really good outer court stuff!!

Deboogle!.
08-08-2009, 11:06 PM
that's why I never bother to buy good seats anymore for the stadium, wherever I go, b/c i always end up spending time watching practices and stuff on the outer courts:lol: it's so much more fun

knight_ley
08-08-2009, 11:20 PM
that's why I never bother to buy good seats anymore for the stadium, wherever I go, b/c i always end up spending time watching practices and stuff on the outer courts:lol: it's so much more fun

Yea this is the first year we got the box seats, and we only got them for Tuesday & Wednesday cuz we knew Andy would play one of those days. They're only like $25 more so we figured why not! :lol:

I'm the same way though for USO. We just get grounds passes cuz we go up the first week and there are never good matches in Arthur Ashe till week two, and nosebleed seats in Arthur Ashe are still a LOT more than grounds passes. It sucks cuz I never get to see Andy or James, but I def end up having more fun seeing the matches on all the other courts that are a lot more entertaining the first week. :shrug:

tennismusiclover
08-08-2009, 11:24 PM
hey!!! oh well...im jealous on you, guys! i wanted to go this year, but i couldnt afford a hotel and my friend who had a spare room was out of town...i will try to go next year...and us open is a must on my to do things next year...

so isner already had a break point? still wondering what's with the serve...also...does anyone know when andy is projected to play his first match in montreal? i have tons of things to do, but i wanna know whether i can find a stream in case im not home :p

Deboogle!.
08-08-2009, 11:26 PM
Hmmm he should play Tuesday or Wednesday...

tsurupettan
08-09-2009, 01:45 AM
:dance: "All-tall week" has come to its final stage for Andy against Del Potro tomorrow.

knight_ley
08-09-2009, 01:46 AM
Vamos! That was a very enjoyable match. :) Can't wait for the final! :woohoo:

TAToohsalmon
08-09-2009, 04:34 AM
Post match Interviews with both Andy and John :D

http://www.thedailyforehand.com/2009/8/8/982626/andy-roddick-defeats-john-isner-in

FlameOn
08-09-2009, 08:29 AM
Good luck in the final Andy! :woohoo:

I'm sure he'll win. :)

arodfanpe666o
08-09-2009, 08:29 AM
Maybe the problems with the serve are because he didn't play for a long time. But it is happening for 3 matches in row, and it is warring me also. Last match was a little bit better. With problems or not, he didn't got broken for 3 sets. :) Hope in Montreal everything will be fine.

He needs to win this title. Two finals lost in row won't be a good thing. A title always is good for the mood.

andymo
08-09-2009, 12:18 PM
Maybe the problems with the serve are because he didn't play for a long time. But it is happening for 3 matches in row, and it is warring me also. Last match was a little bit better. With problems or not, he didn't got broken for 3 sets. :) Hope in Montreal everything will be fine.

He needs to win this title. Two finals lost in row won't be a good thing. A title always is good for the mood.

What problem with the serve, he did not lose it once, look at the stats, 1st serve % is in the 80's. Not as many aces but 1st serve points, awesome.

http://www.tennistv.com/page/TennisTV/TournamentInterviews/Washington/0,,11444~1748299,00.html

Gretchen.
08-09-2009, 02:12 PM
Good Luck to Andy :woohoo:

I'm sure he can kick Del Pony's behind ;) :p

Deboogle!.
08-09-2009, 03:45 PM
pics from last night :D

Deboogle!.
08-09-2009, 03:58 PM
more

tennis lover
08-09-2009, 04:18 PM
:banana: I'm hoping to actually watch the match tonight. :dance: a nice trophy would be nice :D

tsurupettan
08-09-2009, 10:04 PM
Sucks he lost, though especially it sucks to see those old playing habits of his rear their ugly heads. I never expected them to be gone for good (too much wishful thinking there), but still -- never fun to see them make themselves known on the court, especially for extended periods of time.

Hopefully Rogers Cup goes over well for him. :)

knight_ley
08-09-2009, 10:10 PM
Your gif is how I feel about today :lol:

tsurupettan
08-09-2009, 10:17 PM
:lol: I know what you mean. I felt like I was doing a perpetual headgrab when I got back to the third set. :p

Deboogle!.
08-09-2009, 10:18 PM
it's just frustrating that he's played so well for most of the year and now it's 3 finals where he won the first set then lost the match, and in 2 of them it was particularly inexplicable and frustrating. when you think of all the hard work he's putting in and all the good results he's had, he actually has very little to show for it b/c he's blown a couple of really really winnable finals.

tangerine_dream
08-09-2009, 10:20 PM
Sorry Andy lost the final but he's had a great week after four weeks off. The goal here is to peak for USO and there's Canada and Cincy still to play. Hats off to Andy. :hatoff:

*edit*

Adding photos from the final and some headlines.

OnyxRose
08-09-2009, 10:28 PM
it's just frustrating that he's played so well for most of the year and now it's 3 finals where he won the first set then lost the match, and in 2 of them it was particularly inexplicable and frustrating. when you think of all the hard work he's putting in and all the good results he's had, he actually has very little to show for it b/c he's blown a couple of really really winnable finals.

He doesn't have much to show for his hard work. I'm passed the point where getting to finals is a good result; it would be nice if he could manage to win one as well.

Oh well. On to Canada.

Deboogle!.
08-09-2009, 10:31 PM
I think Andy would agree that getting to finals is not enough for him. he can't be happy that he's made what, 5 finals, and only won one of them? It's also quite unlike him, usually he steps up in the big moments and uses his experience, fitness, whatever. and sometimes it's just gonna happen but the two he's lost to step and today are the real :smash: ones because he not only could've won them both, he really should have.

knight_ley
08-09-2009, 11:32 PM
I think Andy would agree that getting to finals is not enough for him. he can't be happy that he's made what, 5 finals, and only won one of them? It's also quite unlike him, usually he steps up in the big moments and uses his experience, fitness, whatever. and sometimes it's just gonna happen but the two he's lost to step and today are the real :smash: ones because he not only could've won them both, he really should have.

This.

Deboogle!.
08-09-2009, 11:36 PM
i didn't see any quotes from andy yet (then again i didn't look that hard), but i hope he's pissed about this :(

Winston's Human
08-09-2009, 11:43 PM
Just finished watching on DVR and am a little gutted.

Oh well! On to Canada!

partygirl
08-09-2009, 11:45 PM
Canada will go perfectly.

partygirl
08-09-2009, 11:45 PM
:haha:

FlameOn
08-10-2009, 12:06 AM
This sucks. :(

Winston's Human
08-10-2009, 01:01 AM
Feeling much better after indulging in the healing powers of Reese's Peanut Butter Cup ice cream.

knight_ley
08-10-2009, 01:57 AM
Feeling much better after indulging in the healing powers of Reese's Peanut Butter Cup ice cream.

:lol: I had some mint chocolate chip!

mestiza91
08-10-2009, 12:06 PM
i hope he does well at the us open...im so excited about seeing him play at the brisbane international next yr

arodfanpe666o
08-10-2009, 04:03 PM
I have a question
It was a relatively slow hard court in Canada, right?

Sorry about the stupid question, but I always forget this tournament surface specificity.

Deboogle!.
08-10-2009, 04:27 PM
I think it's a bit slower than cincy or the USO but DC was playing pretty slow this year, soooo.....

Andy will play Andreev first up after Turusnov retired today.

arodfanpe666o
08-10-2009, 04:32 PM
Thanks a lot for the answer :)

This match could be tough. With Andreev I think, you never know what's going to happen. He can get Andy into trouble.

Deboogle!.
08-10-2009, 04:33 PM
Sure :)

Yeah, he can... then again his form hasn't been stellar lately, especially not compared to andy's. It's a good opener, in the sense that it could be tough but it's still a match he really should win.

arodfanpe666o
08-10-2009, 04:48 PM
He better win. These two masters events are great opportunities to gain points and confidence before USO. Also, he has not got a masters title since cincy 2006, and that's pretty long time. And in these 2 are, in my opinion, his best chance.

Selby
08-10-2009, 06:03 PM
Andreev matches up well against Andy but you know, the guy just lost to Levy...
It's going to be on Wednesday night, right?

I'm disappointed Andy didn't win the DC title but the goal is to peak for the USO like he peaked for Wimbledon and he's on the right way, apart from the serve I thought he played well in the final.
And the serve, you know, it's getting better every match he plays, and I thought he was serving really good in some periods of the match. The only problem was the inconsistency of the serve but it was a big problem that cost him 3 breaks and cost him the tie break and the whole match.
But I'm sure his serve will get back to be very reliable very soon, I think he needs one or two more matches.

Deboogle!.
08-10-2009, 07:03 PM
He better win. These two masters events are great opportunities to gain points and confidence before USO. Also, he has not got a masters title since cincy 2006, and that's pretty long time. And in these 2 are, in my opinion, his best chance.Yes, I would agree.

Andreev matches up well against Andy but you know, the guy just lost to Levy...
It's going to be on Wednesday night, right?Yeah, Andreev is NOT in good form right now. I imagine it'll be sometime Wednesday, but since Andreev is one of a few matches that happened today who knows.

But I'm sure his serve will get back to be very reliable very soon, I think he needs one or two more matches.Well, let's hope. It was really bad for much of what I saw.

tangerine_dream
08-10-2009, 07:55 PM
rotfl. :rolls: :haha:

andyroddick changed the pic only cause @serenajwilliams wanted to see her butt competition.... i have no chance

He used this one:

http://i39.tinypic.com/1079ufl.jpg

The idea of Andy googling his own ass is too funny. :lol:

blosson
08-10-2009, 07:55 PM
So Andy lost to big face man. :o
There is no easy route in a master event.

Selby
08-10-2009, 10:52 PM
So Andy's playing on Wednesday.

cobalt60
08-11-2009, 12:30 AM
rotfl. :rolls: :haha:

andyroddick changed the pic only cause @serenajwilliams wanted to see her butt competition.... i have no chance

He used this one:

http://i39.tinypic.com/1079ufl.jpg

The idea of Andy googling his own ass is too funny. :lol:

:rolls:

tsurupettan
08-11-2009, 01:54 AM
:lol: I'm lovin' Andy and Serena on Twitter together. :yeah: It's so amusing to see her cheer for him all enthusiastic and stuff -- and her response to his pic change ("...That's what I'm talking about!!! I know dats right!!!!!!!!" :lol:).

Now Andy just needs to start following her again (I remember he did in the beginning, but her Twitter wasn't as personal as it is now) and hope for even more priceless bits between them.

tangerine_dream
08-11-2009, 02:20 AM
I want Andy and Murray to follow one another again. It breaks my heart to see the two Andys broken up over Twitter. :awww:

tsurupettan
08-11-2009, 04:04 AM
:lol: I always wonder if there was any rhyme or reason to the people Murray is following... anyway, did Murray ever follow Andy back when Andy had first followed him? He [Murray] seems to do more regular/normal tweeting than replying or talking to others, which kind of sucks because I always like to see the players (and those in general) chatter back to other people and make conversation.

andymo
08-11-2009, 12:10 PM
Anybody knows if Andy has a day-match or an evening-match on Wednesday?

Deboogle!.
08-11-2009, 02:33 PM
We won't know til much later today when Wednesday's schedule comes out

andymo
08-11-2009, 03:00 PM
Thank you......

starr_00
08-11-2009, 05:40 PM
The twittering is hilarious. I always got the feeling that Serena had a little crush on Andy. Anyway, they are both awesome and I hope they team up for Arthur Ashe kids day and make us all laugh.

Also loved Venus's response when Andy told the story about someone leaving a "floater" (ew, lol) in Justin Gimelstob's bathroom in his Montreal hotel. Venus is all, "Maybe it was the maid... or maybe it was someone getting revenge for those missed returns in the '98 Wimby mixed doubles." BWAH!

Deboogle!.
08-11-2009, 06:01 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol:

tsurupettan
08-11-2009, 07:30 PM
Anyway, they are both awesome and I hope they team up for Arthur Ashe kids day and make us all laugh.

:hearts: Yeah!

Deboogle!.
08-11-2009, 09:43 PM
according to doug, it's tomorrow around 3pm for Andy :)

Selby
08-11-2009, 10:01 PM
Unless it's the US open I like day sessions better than night sessions, at least when Andy plays.

Deboogle!.
08-11-2009, 10:13 PM
Well considering the weather, it's better to be earlier just in case it rains and he gets delayed, he's got a better chance of finishing :lol:

tangerine_dream
08-12-2009, 02:37 PM
:haha: Andy changed his profile pic again, guess which classic photo he used this time? :spit:

http://twitter.com/account/profile_image/andyroddick?hreflang=en