Cincinnati or Montreal [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Cincinnati or Montreal

mandeep
07-16-2009, 05:16 PM
I don't know if this is the best place for this thread.

I am looking to attend either the Cincinnati or Montreal Tournament this summer. It seems that the ticket prices for Cincinnati are a lot cheaper than Montreal (even with the currency rates). Also, I believe staying in Cincinnati will generally be less expensive than in Montreal. The only advantage one has over the other I can think of is that Montreal is about a 4-5 hours drive and Cincinnati is about 7-8 hours drive.

Can anybody who has attended either of these two provide some feedback on what they would consider to be the better tournament.

1) Which one has the deeper field?
2) Which one is Roger Federer likely to play? (Would like to watch him live once in my life time, before his decline)
3) Anything else???

I have already been to Montreal never been to Cincinnati. I could always attend the Rogers cup next year when its in Toronto.

Smoke944
07-16-2009, 05:20 PM
I don't know if this is the best place for this thread.

I am looking to attend either the Cincinnati or Montreal Tournament this summer. It seems that the ticket prices for Cincinnati are a lot cheaper than Montreal (even with the currency rates). Also, I believe staying in Cincinnati will generally be less expensive than in Montreal. The only advantage one has over the other I can think of is that Montreal is about a 4-5 hours drive and Cincinnati is about 7-8 hours drive.

Can anybody who has attended either of these two provide some feedback on what they would consider to be the better tournament.

1) Which one has the deeper field?
2) Which one is Roger Federer likely to play? (Would like to watch him live once in my life time, before his decline)
3) Anything else???

I have already been to Montreal never been to Cincinnati. I could always attend the Rogers cup next year when its in Toronto.

1)Field will be almost the same.
2)Federer would usually play both but that's in doubt this year with his baby on the way. He's still a good bet to play one or both of them, though.
3)I go to Cincinnati every year and highly recommend it. It's an awesome tournament to go to, very fan-friendly and accessible.

crazillo
07-16-2009, 05:36 PM
I can recommand Montreal in terms of the venue which is great, really. Had a lot of fun there. I think the fields will be alike so just calculate your expected costs in total (don't forget to add gas etc. to your liste) and then go for the cheaper one.

BlueSwan
07-16-2009, 05:50 PM
Federer will probably play both, but will almost definitely play Cincy. If he's skipping any of them, it is likely to be Montreal, since that is played right after his baby is due. I'd opt for Cincy if I were you.

bluefork
07-16-2009, 05:53 PM
I've been to the Montreal tournament once (2003) and I've been to Cincinnati the last five years (but I'm not going this year).

The field should be pretty much the same. But I would guess it's slightly more likely that Federer will go to Cincinnati than Montreal. I don't know for sure, though.

Montreal is a much nicer city than Cincinnati (or actually Mason, Ohio). There's really nothing to do in Mason outside of the tennis. But if you're driving, it's probably more convenient because you can drive from your hotel and park at the venue fairly easily (I had to take the metro in Montreal because I didn't have car). It's also really miserably hot and humid in Ohio in the middle of August. It probably isn't quite as bad in Montreal.

I haven't been to Montreal in six years, so maybe things have changed, but I recall it being a bit more relaxed there. They let me bring some fruit into the complex and the ushers didn't make me show my ticket every time I went into the stadium. Cincy seems to be a lot stricter about bringing food in and sitting in your assigned section.

Hope that helps. :)

mandeep
07-16-2009, 05:57 PM
Thanks! Great feedback so far. Another question I have is how long before the tournament do I need to get the tickets?

kaylee
07-16-2009, 06:00 PM
I agree if you are a Roger fan. Players can wait up until 48 hours to withdraw from a tournament. However yes take into consideration the exchange rate and all the other costs and see which is the better bet. I have also been to Montreal and had an excellent time and the venue is really accessible by public transport.

The tickets for Montreal are on sale now so I would buy them as soon as you can, not sure about Cincy!

sierra91
07-16-2009, 06:07 PM
They're both great tournaments, but Cincy is less expensive. We got a series pair for Cincy in 2005 and have renewed them each year because we got great seats at an incredibly reasonable price, much less than any other Masters. I've been to Montreal once and liked the tournament a lot, but prefer Cincy. It feels much more intimate; the players seem more accessible; the ushers and volunteers are more relaxed and helpful; the food on site is better; and the alcohol is much cheaper. It might be a nice change of pace for you. It can get oppressively hot and humid during the day.

As far as seeing Roger, I wouldn't count on him playing either Montreal or Cincy with the baby due right around then. IMHO, I don't see why he'd play either after his great results at the French and Wimbledon and wouldn't blame him if he wanted to take some extra downtime at home with Mirka and the baby, and wait until the Open to show up on this side of the pond.

Whichever tourney you end up going to, hope you have a great time. Cheers!

R.Federer
07-16-2009, 06:28 PM
I opened this because I thought it was one more of the Which is Better themes..... "Which is Better: Montreal or Cincinnati"

Burrow
07-16-2009, 06:30 PM
Cincinnati is crap.

Hope this helps.

dam0dred
07-16-2009, 06:34 PM
Montreal is one of the greatest cities in the world. If you are planning on doing anything non-tennis related during your trip, then it's really a no brainer.

If your main priority is to see Federer, go to Cincy, as I doubt he'll be coming to Canada this year.

smitty8
07-17-2009, 02:26 AM
Oh, come on, Cincy has Kings Island right down the road! Water park, rollercoasters, loads of fun, especially if you have kids.
Haven't been to Montreal, but Cincy once and I am going again this year. Prices are cheeper and if you have a car, easy to get around. You can get a cheep hotel room one or two exits down the interstate. Very fan friendly. I like it better than Washington, where I've been going off and on for 15 years.
As for what Fed does, I don't think anyone knows. Depends on when the baby comes and what he wants to do. I wouldn't blame him for staying home until US Open, if that's what he wants.

Certinfy
07-17-2009, 06:39 AM
Well i've been to Montreal (for F1 and tennis) and it's a very very nice place, and i would think it would be worth the extra money... Tho i guess Cincinatti could be very nice aswell.

orangehat
07-17-2009, 06:45 AM
Canada :rocker2:

I've heard great things about Montreal.

Goldenoldie
07-17-2009, 07:39 AM
If it were me, I would go to Montreal, simply because it comes first.

Otherwise I could be watching some great tennis on television and thinking, "Dammit I could have seen this live". Once I'd had my live visit, it wouldn't be so bad watching the second tournament on TV.

Depends on your personality, I think.

Myrre
07-17-2009, 08:17 AM
I also wanted to watch Federer live at least once in my life. Guess which match I travelled to see? Rome 2008 where Federer lost to Volandri! Just sat there waiting for the real Federer to appear. He never did. Italian crowd were happy though.

HKz
07-17-2009, 08:49 AM
Honestly, on the question of which tournament will Federer enter, I don't think he'll pass up even one of them. He had poor results last year, so I would think he would want to capitalize on his chances this year to further the gap between the top two spots so that incase he didn't do as well as the USO, he could continue to keep his number one ranking. Plus since 2002, he has done the Montreal/Cinci double except for 2005 where he skipped Montreal for a break. But also, since he is having a kid and since he doesn't have points to defend, it can also make him feel like he doesn't need to worry about the points till the USO, so he could take his time off and skip the whole summer season entirely (except USO of course).

HKz
07-17-2009, 08:51 AM
I also wanted to watch Federer live at least once in my life. Guess which match I travelled to see? Rome 2008 where Federer lost to Volandri! Just sat there waiting for the real Federer to appear. He never did. Italian crowd were happy though.

Ahem, Rome 2007 you mean? 2008 = Stepanek loss

HattonWBA
07-17-2009, 09:35 AM
I would go to Montreal mate, i just think its a better tournrement and roger will definetley be playing also, whereas if he wins it or picks up an injury he may not go to Cinci

mandeep
07-17-2009, 12:47 PM
Oh I forgot to mention. Another option I have is to stay home in Toronto and attend the WTA Rogers cup.

dam0dred
07-17-2009, 01:04 PM
Oh, come on, Cincy has Kings Island right down the road! Water park, rollercoasters, loads of fun, especially if you have kids.
Haven't been to Montreal, but Cincy once and I am going again this year. Prices are cheeper and if you have a car, easy to get around. You can get a cheep hotel room one or two exits down the interstate. Very fan friendly. I like it better than Washington, where I've been going off and on for 15 years.
As for what Fed does, I don't think anyone knows. Depends on when the baby comes and what he wants to do. I wouldn't blame him for staying home until US Open, if that's what he wants.

Oh, you're right. Who needs the culture, history, and architecture that Montreal has to offer when you can go to a... water park!! With rollercoasters!! God bless America.

:spit:

Action Jackson
07-17-2009, 01:08 PM
Simple, if you want tennis and tennis only go to Cincy (Mason). If you actually want to do something besides then go to Montreal.

As for the WTA, don't waste your money, there are other charitable causes that deserve the money.

JolánGagó
07-17-2009, 01:24 PM
Montreal is one of the greatest cities in the world.

As per what criteria? :scratch:

kaylee
07-17-2009, 02:02 PM
well looks as though Roger is skipping Montreal so that just leaves Cincy!

bjurra
07-17-2009, 03:44 PM
Go to Cincy. Only there you might run into Robby Ginepri in the Waffle House.

Apart from that, Mason is boring and humid. I would pick Montreal any day.

W!MBLEDON
07-17-2009, 03:54 PM
go to cincy

i saw federer once, aus open 2008 when he beat santoro 6-1 6-2 6-0 ;)

bluefork
07-17-2009, 04:02 PM

Is that confirmed?

SERVivor
07-17-2009, 05:15 PM
I went to Cincinatti in 2007. True, the tournament is in Mason, which is about 30 miles nort of downtown Cincinatti. While its true there is probably less to do and see in downtown Cincinatti than Montreal, when I was there I went to a bar which had a huge friday happy hour where a bunch of hot women were partying. Their reason for being in town - a national sex toy sales convention. Maybe that will occur at the same time as the Cincy tennis tournament this year. P.S. I did not get lucky.

chenx15
07-17-2009, 05:19 PM
Montreal is the best! i believe Federer pulled out of the Rogers cup.

smitty8
07-18-2009, 12:37 AM
Oh, you're right. Who needs the culture, history, and architecture that Montreal has to offer when you can go to a... water park!! With rollercoasters!! God bless America.

If I want history and architecture, I go to Washington DC, 2 hour drive from my house. I go to Cincy for the tennis. When I was a kid, we went there for King's Island and I think it's a lot of fun. Of course, I grew up in the middle of nowhere, so that was a huge trip for us.

CyBorg
07-18-2009, 01:29 AM
Is that confirmed?

No, no one knows. No one knows exactly when Mirka will give birth either, so it's all speculation at this point.

cath777
07-18-2009, 01:54 AM

What's your source on this?

I've been to both tournaments, but only for a day each. If all you want to do is watch tennis, then price up gas, tickets and hotels, and go to the cheapest. If you want to do more than tennis, then go to whichever appeals more for your interests outside tennis.

the graduate
07-18-2009, 03:15 AM
Montreal is a european city in north america with Parisian vibe,the nightlife is fabulous and the people are super friendly

Bobby
07-18-2009, 07:02 AM

I spent some time in Montreal a couple of weeks ago. It was my summer holiday. The city was absolutely beautiful, one of the best cities I've ever been to. I've never been to Cincinnati, but Montreal is a great place to visit, no question about that. People were friendly, lots of nice restaurants and bars and a lot of culture and history as well.

sierra91
07-18-2009, 05:43 PM
Simple, if you want tennis and tennis only go to Cincy (Mason). If you actually want to do something besides then go to Montreal.:yeah: Plus, Cosmos are only $6.00 at Cincy...much less than at other tourneys. If, however, you want to do other stuff besides watching tennis and going to the amusement park, Mason, Ohio isn't the place, unless you love going to box stores and strip malls.

As for the WTA, don't waste your money, there are other charitable causes that deserve the money. :lol:

dusan1610
07-18-2009, 05:45 PM
Montreal!

MisterQ
07-18-2009, 05:53 PM
Cincinnati used to be a more important city. If you're intrigued by local/national history, there are some interesting aspects to it. That said, its best days seem to be behind it, unfortunately.

Mason is surprisingly far from Cincinnati proper.

I saw my first pro match in Cincinnati. Unfortunately it was Sampras beating up on his opponent. :lol:

Montreal is a fascinating place, as you already know.