Who is better: Tommy Haas or David Nalbandian ? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who is better: Tommy Haas or David Nalbandian ?

Forehander
07-16-2009, 12:51 PM
They can both play some pretty decent all court tennis once in a while and are considered by many a little bit under-achieved. Also have had some very impressive results in non-mickey mouse tournaments. I personally like Nalbandian better.

Black Adam
07-16-2009, 01:00 PM
Bandian. Only because he won TMC, made a slam final, compared to Haas winning nothing and never being in a Slam final although you could argue weather robbed him of a final at AO 2002 in the semis vs Safin. However, Haas reached number 2 compared to Bandy's number 3 although you could certainly argue for Tommy, that he was lucky to be in a transitional period between Sampras and Nadal.

BlueSwan
07-16-2009, 01:03 PM
Definitely Nalbandian. When he's on he beats everybody, proved for instance by his run in late 2007. Too bad he never committed enough to the game.

tennishero
07-16-2009, 01:33 PM
their H2H record is surprising, 3 - 0 to Haas.

2007 Australian Open R16 Hard
4-6, 6-3, 6-2, 6-3

2005 ATP Masters Series Paris R32 Carpet
6-4, 6-3

2002 Munich R32 Clay
7-5, 4-6, 6-1

I think Haas is more consistent than David, but Nalby at his best is way better, his results are also much more impressive than Haas.

leng jai
07-16-2009, 02:08 PM
Fat Dave has far better stats. Hard to compare when one guy has been injured every 2 seconds compared to a guy who just can't be bothered half the time.

Crazy Girl
07-16-2009, 02:10 PM
I like these men.

Both good tennis players.

:):):):)

Kolya
07-16-2009, 03:03 PM
David.

stebs
07-16-2009, 03:17 PM
Nalbandian is a stronger player and has proved it with more wins over top players. At his best Nalbandian can challenge for slams and whilst Haas has got to the latter stages himself a few times I think he has always been more of a dark horse in thos positions even though he had the higher ranking at a stage.

They are both players who I think we will look back at some of their better performances and say how on earth did they not end up winning more. As Haas spokesman lenj jai says, with Haas it is injury related. With Nalbandian there are other issues to be looked at.

I hope we still have more to see from both of these two though before they call it a day. Certainly two of the most aesthetically pleasing players to watch of the last decade.

GlennMirnyi
07-16-2009, 03:25 PM
Haasi, easily.

If it weren't for those two fluke TMS wins, Fat Dave wouldn't have any real titles.

ps: don't get me started on that "TMC".

tennishero
07-16-2009, 03:54 PM
Haasi, easily.

If it weren't for those two fluke TMS wins, Fat Dave wouldn't have any real titles.

rofl please explain, i want to hear more of ur awful logic.

Beat
07-16-2009, 04:09 PM
They can both play some pretty decent all court tennis once in a while and are considered by many a little bit under-achieved.

"a little" is a little understated.

Forehander
07-16-2009, 04:22 PM
Let me express my point about the TMC final in 2005. To be honest I thought that's the best I've ever seen David Nalbandian play. Sure, he played great in 2007 both Paris and Madrid, but compared to 2005 TMC final where he was just in the zone for pretty much the whole match was non-comparable. All my tennis mates and I simply jaw dropped at the sheer quality shots he was able to pull off non-stop. He was making ridiculous super flat cross court angles on the run consistently forehand and backhand. Down the line backhand CLOSE OR OPEN STANCE OR WHATEVER JUST NAME IT it looked as if he wasn't ever going to miss a shot.

With that said though, Federer was injured during that tournament. He rolled his ankle and had to be on crutches for 4 weeks before going straight into the 2005 TMC. With lack of practice, he clearly lost his usual mobility during that match especially after the first 2 sets, which were of pretty high quality. As the match progressed Nalbandian saw it and kept on using great drop shots to his advantage. His serves also deserted him due to his jelly legs. It was a great effort from him at the end winning 5 games in a row serving for the match but the winner was never in doubt.

2005 was super Federer year. He was at his absolute climax, footwork better than ever before. Nalbandian was in super form, but I felt he still would have lost that match if Fed was fit for that tournament.

Forehander
07-16-2009, 04:31 PM
Fat Dave has far better stats. Hard to compare when one guy has been injured every 2 seconds compared to a guy who just can't be bothered half the time.

But Leng Haas's been coming back strong. I get a feeling he's been working pretty hard lately and I'm pretty pleased to see that he still has that firey on court attitude. I actually enjoy looking at his on court attitude more than his game to be honest. He's got some real funny body language and emotions (especially after he wins big long points) :lol:

But really I feel his forehand is back to his peak this year. The way he spanked the ball during Wimbledon and French Open was much better than he did in Australian Open where he played Nadal.

Apemant
07-16-2009, 04:31 PM

:devil: Nailed it.

Dini
07-16-2009, 04:37 PM
Nalbandian.

And :spit: at GM calling his TMS wins fluke.

Forehander
07-16-2009, 04:41 PM
"a little" is a little understated.

I don't know. With Fed and Nadal up on top it's hard to say that they're huge under achievers. They might reach a few more rounds but maybe not win more big tournaments. I'd call my one and only love Sebastien Grosjean THE BIGGEST UNDER-ACHIEVER OF ALL TIME though.

Apemant
07-16-2009, 04:43 PM
His serves also deserted him due to his jelly legs. It was a great effort from him at the end winning 5 games in a row serving for the match but the winner was never in doubt.

Never in doubt... hmm don't you think it's a bit exaggerating? :devil:

I mean, Federer serving for the match at 30-0, and it was still never in doubt? I-I-I don't think so. ;)

Geo
07-16-2009, 04:47 PM
Both have great games but Nalbandian is more accomplished, as he reached a slam final and won more MS. Nalbandian also has a better record against top players than Haas, so Nalby gets my vote :shrug:

Goldenoldie
07-16-2009, 04:58 PM
I like Haas better, but have to admit that at his best Nalbandian is far superior.

Ichiban1920
07-16-2009, 05:14 PM
Haasi, easily.

How the fuck were they flukes? Cuz Federer was tired?

Forehander
07-16-2009, 05:52 PM

David played excellent tennis, but in a way you can say that. Federer had no practice for 4 weeks prior to that tournament and was on crutches due to a rolled ankle during practice. But maybe Glenn meant he didn't really face any good players.

Never in doubt... hmm don't you think it's a bit exaggerating? :devil:

I mean, Federer serving for the match at 30-0, and it was still never in doubt? I-I-I don't think so. ;)

And maybe I did. I was really hoping Federer would win so the situation there was pretty nervous. But seriously even up to that point you could see it from fat Dave's eyes and body language that he wasn't ready to give up. With Federer no longer able to control the ball on first serve due to jelly legs, few killer return of serves which he was doing on the regular basis on that night would do the job of breaking back. I guess what I really meant was I never felt relieved even when Federer was up 30-0 at that point.

Burrow
07-16-2009, 06:12 PM
Nalbandian is a stronger player and has proved it with more wins over top players. At his best Nalbandian can challenge for slams and whilst Haas has got to the latter stages himself a few times I think he has always been more of a dark horse in thos positions even though he had the higher ranking at a stage.

They are both players who I think we will look back at some of their better performances and say how on earth did they not end up winning more. As Haas spokesman lenj jai says, with Haas it is injury related. With Nalbandian there are other issues to be looked at.

I hope we still have more to see from both of these two though before they call it a day. Certainly two of the most aesthetically pleasing players to watch of the last decade.

Nah.

DJ Soup
07-16-2009, 06:58 PM

Without a doubt

GlennMirnyi
07-16-2009, 07:12 PM

Nalbandian.

And :spit: at GM calling his TMS wins fluke.

Absolute flukes. Has never played like that since and never will. That's the definition of fluke.

nab_94
07-16-2009, 07:21 PM
Definitely David :bigclap:

habibko
07-17-2009, 01:16 AM
Nalby easily :yeah:

MIMIC
07-17-2009, 01:19 AM
Nalbandian by a country mile.

leng jai
07-17-2009, 01:47 AM
But Leng Haas's been coming back strong. I get a feeling he's been working pretty hard lately and I'm pretty pleased to see that he still has that firey on court attitude. I actually enjoy looking at his on court attitude more than his game to be honest. He's got some real funny body language and emotions (especially after he wins big long points) :lol:

But really I feel his forehand is back to his peak this year. The way he spanked the ball during Wimbledon and French Open was much better than he did in Australian Open where he played Nadal.

I'm glad you noticed that. I was shocked at that powder puff forehand he was hitting in the Nadull match. It was no wonder he was pulverized after the first set.

FairWeatherFan
07-17-2009, 01:52 AM
Nalbandian takes this comfortably on results, and from a subjective perspective, he has always been a threat at the biggest torunaments, whilst Haas has not. Even though Haas has had a higher ranking, and got to the latter stages of a slam several times, he has never been a genuine threat to win a slam IMO.

Burrow
07-17-2009, 02:01 AM
Nalbandian takes this comfortably on results, and from a subjective perspective, he has always been a threat at the biggest torunaments, whilst Haas has not. Even though Haas has had a higher ranking, and got to the latter stages of a slam several times, he has never been a genuine threat to win a slam IMO.

Well he was in the 2002 Australian Open, if he was ever going to win a slam, it was there and then.

GlennMirnyi
07-17-2009, 02:35 AM

Threat at the bigger tournaments?

:lol:

AO 09 - R64 loss to Lu
USO 08 - R32 loss to Monfils
Wimbledon 08 - R128 loss to Dancevic
RG 08 - R64 loss to Chardy
AO 08 - R32 loss to Ferrero
USO 07 - R32 loss to Ferrer
Wimbledon 07 - R32 loss to Baghdatis
RG 07 - R16 loss to Davydenko
AO 07 - R16 loss to Haasi
USO 06 - R64 loss to Safin
Wimbledon 06 - R32 loss to Verdasco

What a threat.

Bargearse
07-17-2009, 02:56 AM
I prefer Haas' style of tennis to Nalbandian, but Nalbandian is a stronger player mentally.

Ilovetheblues_86
07-17-2009, 02:56 AM
Haas in his peak is better than Nalbandian at his peak.
I never saw Nalbandian as a GS champ profile while Haas was since 1997 a top player which never fulfilled his potential.
The problem is that NALBANDIAN had more peaks than HAAS that had something like one or two peaks at his career and that creates the illusion he is better,

MTF opinion surprises me.

tennishero
07-17-2009, 03:10 AM
Nalbandian has also been finished in the top 10 for almost 7 years.

leng jai
07-17-2009, 03:18 AM
Threat at the bigger tournaments?

:lol:

AO 09 - R64 loss to Lu
USO 08 - R32 loss to Monfils
Wimbledon 08 - R128 loss to Dancevic
RG 08 - R64 loss to Chardy
AO 08 - R32 loss to Ferrero
USO 07 - R32 loss to Ferrer
Wimbledon 07 - R32 loss to Baghdatis
RG 07 - R16 loss to Davydenko
AO 07 - R16 loss to Haasi
USO 06 - R64 loss to Safin
Wimbledon 06 - R32 loss to Verdasco

What a threat.

For Haasi:

Wimbledon 09 - SF loss to Fedmug
RG 09 - R16 loss to Fedmug
AO 09 - R32 loss to Nadull
USO 08 - R32 loss to Muller
Wimbledon 08 - R32 loss to Mugray
USO 07 - QF loss to Davydenko
Wimbledon 07 - R16 Retired
AO 07 - SF loss to Gonzalez
USO 06 - QF loss to Davydenko
Wimbledon 06 - R32 loss to Berdych
AO 2006 - R16 loss to Fedmug

Roddickominator
07-17-2009, 03:32 AM
Nalbandian is a better player when on his game....but has underachieved because he doesn't have heart and desire.

Haas is simply a very solid player, who has had to battle through injuries and mental issues. I don't think Haas has underachieved nearly to the level that Nalbandian has. I respect Haas more because he works hard and has battled through things.

Forehander
07-17-2009, 04:26 AM
So how exactly under-achieved is David Nalbandian? That's a question I want to also raise. He's had his chances but never took it. In 2003 he had match points against Roddick, but screwed up big-time, simply just broke down. 2006 was the closest in my opinion he was ever going to get from winning a grandslam despite only reaching the Semi-finals. He defeated Federer in the TMC coming into that Open, he clearly looked fit and trained hard too. He had the motivation to win and brought his winning form into that tournament, was absolutely kicking butt too when two sets to luv up against Marcos Bigdaddy hitting side to side didn't look like he was going to miss. Then suddenly he breaks down and screws it up. He was motivated too during the beginning of 2008 after the Paris and Madrid wins. But he cudn't live up to it. Maybe you can say he's been under-achieved in the Master Series, but certainly not Grand Slams.

mr_burns
07-17-2009, 05:04 AM
the gS record of the last 3 years says the opposite of what I voted...

Haas really lost to more quality player (ok muller...9, while nalbandian totally sucked in every way

but honestly I had the feeling nalbadian could win a slam many times, and federer himself mentiones him a lot

AndiMD
07-17-2009, 07:20 AM
Maybe it would be more interesting to ask who was the best german after Becker: Kiefer, Haas or Schüttler...

Here and only going on results, it's Nalbandian. But I like Haas' style of playing more when both play at their best.

Tennis-Engineer
07-17-2009, 07:48 AM
Absolute flukes. Has never played like that since and never will. That's the definition of fluke.

is reaching semi-final in all 4 GS and beating Federer 8 times also definition of fluke ? :rolleyes:

You don't like Nalbandian because he beat Kuerten in Roland Garros :devil:

HattonWBA
07-17-2009, 10:48 AM
Nalbandian

Mint Chip
07-17-2009, 01:05 PM
Both have beautiful backhands and they are both meatally not there sometimes and shouldn't lose when playing better than the opponent. Nalby makes better angles than Haas and Haas has a better serve. Haas has had bad luck with injures and bad draws while Nalby should have won the U.S. open in '03. Haas is the better player since Nalby lost points with me when he lost to Nadull(still haven't gotten over that) :(

GlennMirnyi
07-17-2009, 05:55 PM
is reaching semi-final in all 4 GS and beating Federer 8 times also definition of fluke ? :rolleyes:

You don't like Nalbandian because he beat Kuerten in Roland Garros :devil:

Couldn't care less. Who'd be idiotic to dislike a player because of that?

Nalbandian is an absolute mug that, if not for 3 flukes, would have never won a decent tournament.

safinafan
07-18-2009, 04:18 AM
David is unbeatable when he wants ;)

shotgun
07-18-2009, 04:28 AM
Both guys are very talented. I consider Nalbandian to be the better player overall, but only because of his strong on-court mentality that allowed him to become a "big match player".

Haas has a more watchable game for sure. He has developed well in all fundamentals of the game, whereas Nalbandian's mediocre serve has been a liability for most of his career, and only became a weapon when he improved its placement (around fall 2007), and yet, still not a world class serve by any means.

Action Jackson
12-01-2009, 07:58 AM
Massive lead for Nalbandian here. This place is very funny when it comes to him. I mean when he takes out Federer and Nadal, we have the massive love fest that goes on for sometime, then when he has a shocker, then the stuff that comes out is as over the top as the love he gets.

It's even greater than usual.

Sophocles
12-01-2009, 11:07 AM
I think this whole Nalbandian can beat anybody when he's on thing is a bit exaggerated. He's proved he can beat anybody indoors when playing the best tennis of his life. That's not so different from what Davydenko's just done.

Mechlan
12-01-2009, 12:12 PM
I think this whole Nalbandian can beat anybody when he's on thing is a bit exaggerated. He's proved he can beat anybody indoors when playing the best tennis of his life. That's not so different from what Davydenko's just done.

For sure it's exaggerated, but Nalbandian has played and beaten a better Federer and Nadal than Davydenko just did. He has proved that he can play of all surfaces and also that he can play with the very best. There are few players that have done what he's done, i think it's fair to say that his peak level is pretty fantastic.

Puschkin
12-01-2009, 12:26 PM
Nalbandian, no further discussion needed.

Bernard Black
12-01-2009, 02:32 PM
I love Tommy's game and think he could have competed against the best in any era. Nalbandian has slightly better results but that's all for me really, Haas is the more talented player.

Byrd
12-01-2009, 03:16 PM
Bandian. Only because he won TMC, made a slam final, compared to Haas winning nothing and never being in a Slam final although you could argue weather robbed him of a final at AO 2002 in the semis vs Safin. However, Haas reached number 2 compared to Bandy's number 3 although you could certainly argue for Tommy, that he was lucky to be in a transitional period between Sampras and Nadal.

BA being a subtle tool, expected.

Iván
12-01-2009, 03:21 PM
nalbandian by far, he has something about his game which seems so effortless but skilled and classy

Lugburz
12-01-2009, 09:54 PM
Who's better?,H2H: - Tommy 3-0 Nalbandian

New Balls Please
12-02-2009, 01:12 AM
Based on individual results, Nalbandian has had a better career. The only results that Haas trumps Nalbandian is an olympic medal and a world no.2 ranking. Both are very talented players, although Nalbandian would probably win that category also.

gulzhan
12-02-2009, 01:39 AM
Haasi, easily.

Funny :lol: Nalba won TMC in Shanghai. And he played great at DC. What did Haas do other than swearing loudly in German, I don't even remember :shrug:

Roddickominator
12-02-2009, 05:48 AM
I'd take Nalbandian on clay, and Tommy everywhere else.

And if i'm betting my life on one of these guys to beat anyone other than Federer and Nadal, i'd pick Tommy.

FlavorNuts
12-02-2009, 06:42 AM
Haas has athleticism and a big serve to thank for his results while Nalbandian got where he is on coordination and intelligent play.

oranges
12-02-2009, 07:50 AM
Haas has athleticism and a big serve to thank for his results while Nalbandian got where he is on coordination and intelligent play.

Strange look at things given that the guy that was supposedly blessed spent more time off court than on it. Triple shoulder surgery must have helped immensely to have a good serve.

freeandlonely
12-02-2009, 02:14 PM
Who's better?,H2H: - Tommy 3-0 Nalbandian

Federer-Simon : 0-2

HattonWBA
12-02-2009, 02:28 PM
Nalbandian

MariaV
12-02-2009, 02:48 PM
Yep, gotta go with Nalbandian here.

Dougie
12-02-2009, 05:16 PM
The fact that Haas keeps coming back despite all those shoulder problems and can still make it into GS sf´s, whereas Dave just keeps wasting his talent and gaining weight year after year, is more than enough reason for me to vote Tommy.

Quakes
12-02-2009, 05:19 PM
Dave is the better looking one.

Start da Game
12-02-2009, 05:24 PM
nalbandian, easily.......

Serenidad
12-03-2009, 03:01 AM
Nalbandian, duh.

abraxas21
12-03-2009, 03:11 AM
Dave is the better looking one.

not that i care about this but it does surprise me given you're the first person i've heard saying that. most people seem to think that haas is extremely good looking while nalby is regarded a simply a regular guy. my sister even thinks nalby is ugly.

brent-o
12-03-2009, 06:30 AM
Nalbandian is easily one of the most talented tennis players I have seen. He's impressed me with top wins over the course of his career more so than Tommy. Haas is fun to watch, too, but I'm a little sick of people using his injuries (which admittedly were numerous) as excuses for why he hasn't achieved more. There were a few times that he was miraculously injury-free and reached the latter stages of tournaments only to fold and miss his chances.

Ad Wim
12-03-2009, 08:53 AM
I think Haas has, despite his major injuries, been more consistent.

samanosuke
12-03-2009, 03:12 PM
Nalbandian by far

Matt01
12-03-2009, 04:05 PM
Haas is the better tennis player.

Nalbandian is more accomplished.

tennisace
12-04-2009, 01:19 PM
Nalby of course...

SetSampras
12-05-2009, 11:48 PM
Haas is garbage. Hes a 90s era holdover. How he even came close to beating Fed at the French and beating Djoker at Queens and Wimbeldon is beyond me.

Of course, Slam wise Nalbandian has been trash too.

Equally worthless

justClaudia
12-05-2009, 11:50 PM
Both guys are very talented. I consider Nalbandian to be the better player overall, but only because of his strong on-court mentality that allowed him to become a "big match player".

Haas has a more watchable game for sure. He has developed well in all fundamentals of the game, whereas Nalbandian's mediocre serve has been a liability for most of his career, and only became a weapon when he improved its placement (around fall 2007), and yet, still not a world class serve by any means.

I love you ..

Massive lead for Nalbandian here. This place is very funny when it comes to him. I mean when he takes out Federer and Nadal, we have the massive love fest that goes on for sometime, then when he has a shocker, then the stuff that comes out is as over the top as the love he gets.

It's even greater than usual.

And you, too.

I haven't been around in a long time and it's lovely to see that there's still some sort of logic in this place. This is the only reason why I felt like bumping this moribund topic, so, may it rest in peace now.

Matt01
12-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Haas is garbage. Hes a 90s era holdover. How he even came close to beating Fed at the French and beating Djoker at Queens and Wimbeldon is beyond me.

Of course, Slam wise Nalbandian has been trash too.

Equally worthless

:retard:

arch_enemy
12-06-2009, 01:48 PM
David,never doubt it!

incube
06-25-2012, 09:32 PM
Not about only actually, the question is about all of his career until this moment.
They have very similar number of titles and other aspects like their best ranking (3º David, 2º Haas) and the general sensation that both could get better results than they have done.
Who is better tennis player?

Mountaindewslave
06-25-2012, 09:33 PM
Nalbandian overall in talent and his career but maybe Haas currently

Sofonda Cox
06-25-2012, 09:34 PM
Haas, he is HOTTTTTTTTTT.

Dougie
06-25-2012, 09:39 PM
Haas. He could have won so much more if it wasn´t for all his injuries and bad luck, whereas Dave has just been too lazy and unmotivated to make the best of his talent.

Looner
06-25-2012, 09:41 PM
Career it's Nalbandian by a huge margin. As for talent - it's hard to say - Haas has athleticism and beautiful shots, Nalby has timing on his BH like no other and an amazing return game but he's not tall enough.

Alex999
06-25-2012, 09:44 PM
Haas. He could have won so much more if it wasn´t for all his injuries and bad luck, whereas Dave has just been too lazy and unmotivated to make the best of his talent.
this pretty much. I love them both but Haas being a nut case and Nalbandian simply being lazy didn't help their respective careers at all.

Lugburz
06-25-2012, 09:46 PM
Both talented players. Obviously Tommy imo, and if I remember well Tommy beat him in all 3 matches(on different surfaces) they played so far...

born_on_clay
06-25-2012, 10:23 PM
David Nalbandian

Nole Rules
11-23-2012, 01:26 PM
Vote.

The Prince
11-23-2012, 01:35 PM
Nalbandian, but only slightly.

gulzhan
11-23-2012, 01:42 PM
Nalbandian, by a margin.

Puschkin
11-23-2012, 01:43 PM
Nalbandian, by a margin.
a large margin.

BroTree123
11-23-2012, 01:44 PM
Neither are skilled.

abraxas21
11-23-2012, 01:50 PM
Haas. No contest.

Sri
11-23-2012, 01:50 PM
The Separation between talent and skill is one of the greatest misunderstood concepts. Talent you have naturally. Skill is only developed by hours and hours and hours of beating on your craft. I don’t really view myself as particularly talented. Where I excel is ridiculous, sickening work ethic. While the other guys are sleeping, I am working. While the other guys are eating, I am working.

When you set out to build a wall, you don’t say – I am gonna build the biggest, baddest wall that’s ever been build. You don’t start there. You say – I’m gonna lay this brick as perfectly as a brick can be laid. And you do that every single day, and soon you have a wall.

-- Will Smith

Ballbasher
11-23-2012, 02:30 PM
Nalbandian.

Freak3yman84
11-23-2012, 02:30 PM
Mug thread. My threads are better, you can ask AJ.

GOATsol
11-23-2012, 02:33 PM
Nalbandian, obviously.

Noserer
11-23-2012, 02:37 PM
Fatbandian by far. At least he doesn't bend over for Federer every time they meet.

Burrow
11-23-2012, 03:53 PM

The Masters Cup of 2005 was a bit of a mess, though some good matches were played. The tournament was watered down by the withdrawals of Nadal, Safin, Roddick, Hewitt and the loss of Agassi after only one match.

Safin, Hewitt and a healthy Agassi would have been a great addition to the tournament with all players having excellent pedigree indoors and all three of these men would probably have been favoured against Nalbandian but it's difficult to include Agassi into this discussion as his back had been troublesome the entire year.

I think Nalbandian got lucky with the draw, as he had a losing record to all of these players barring Nadal, who he had yet to play against at that point, however, he won most of his matches convincingly and only lost to Federer, so credit to him for seizing the opportunity. There's nothing to say he wouldn't have gone on to win had all withdrawals been healthy but it would have been made much more difficult.

As for the topic, it's impossible to compare the men on their ability themselves as both have had problems, some more severe than others and both took different ways and paths to recovery. It's difficult to exclude the fact Haas was far more injury prone and during his prime at that. He's had something like 7 or 8 surgeries in total all over his body.

Here's a little break down of their games from my perspective:

Serve: Haas has the far superior serve. Much taller man and makes much more use of his legs than Nalbandian ever did. Ironically enough, Haas has always had an above average serve despite his chronic shoulder problems. Second serve of Nalbandian's is about 10 times as attackable and depth is generally nowhere near as good as the serve of Haas.

Volley: Haas has always had far superior volleying ability. Much bigger wing span and his flexibility and agility give him far greater potential on contact point. Nalbandian's volley's are quite good for today's standards but largely depend on his confidence levels.

Forehand: This is a tough one. Nalbandian excels in creating angles, but as for the rest, it generally depends on how they're feeling the rest of their game. I think Nalbandian has better ability to produce unexpected brilliance whilst Haas is more steady on low balls unlike Nalbandian who depends on balls from waist height or above to produce power.

Backhand: It really depends on the circumstance. Nalbandian has always been able to produce exceptional angles whilst the main strength of Haas has been to punch holes in opponents weak wing and drill it down the line or move forward given the chance. Nalbandian has never enjoyed absorbing power in either forehand or backhand exchanges. Haas has never had problems doing so. The slice of Haas is superior, mainly because of the choices it gives him. He can drop shot, slice deep and/or move in as well as occasionally chipping his return short which he has used against serve dominant players over the years.

Fitness: No content. Despite all of his surgeries Haas remains incredibly athletic in all departments; aerobically, agile, well balanced and speedy moving horizontally. I'd also correlate his ability to absorb power perhaps with his superior core strength levels.

Court sense: Over the years, I feel Nalbandian has probably used all of his attributes to the fullest potential whereas earlier in his career Haas did not come to the net nearly as much as he could have. Earlier in his career I'd choose Nalbandian but right now I'd choose Haas.

Mentality: Despite both being enigmas in this department, I'd choose Nalbandian over Haas easily. Haas, when he could have, never rose to the occasion like Nalbandian did, but I'd give him the benefit of the doubt in the way that he must have put far more pressure on himself than Nalbandian ever did, due to his injuries. He must have questioned time and time again whether he'd ever get another chance. Both players can be solid mentally and both can be weak mentally, but for different reasons. Whilst Nalbandian can be care free, I feel that over the years, in big matches, Haas showed little self belief when he just about had as much ability as anyone on tour.

I think they're both pretty equal, they're entertaining players who play the game in an entertaining way. As opposed to other Nick Bollettieri students, Haas never lost his own flair and style and didn't become another prototype. Something to be credited for and something that shouldn't go unnoticed.

We can conclude that Nalbandian has been considerably more successful, but like any comparison regarding talent, we'll never know. But uniquely in this case, we'll never know who truly maximized their potential more successfully because one's body didn't allow him the opportunity.

Freak3yman84
11-23-2012, 03:53 PM
^^ That's too long. Shorten it pl0x.

TWSS

GOATsol
11-23-2012, 03:56 PM
Fatbandian by far. At least he doesn't bend over for Federer every time they meet.
Haas beat him in Halle. :shrug:

RafaelNadalisGod
11-23-2012, 03:59 PM
Nalby no contest

Burrow
11-23-2012, 04:17 PM
^^ That's too long. Shorten it pl0x.

TWSS

You are incredibly tiresome. It would be more appropriate for you to join a children's Crèche forum or oganisation, as it's not good for any child to be raised by members of this forum.

Good day.

Freak3yman84
11-23-2012, 04:18 PM
You are incredibly tiresome. It would be more appropriate for you to join a children's Crèche forum or oganisation, as it's not good for any child to be raised by members of this forum.

Good day.

I don't know what a creche is, but I sure as hell love crepes.

BauerAlmeida
11-23-2012, 04:53 PM
Both are fantastic players who underachieved. Nalbandian still clearly had a better career though. You could argue who has a better peak game.

But then again, you watch this and can't argue anymore.

lJN2NKfY8eU

Freak3yman84
11-23-2012, 04:58 PM
Both are fantastic players who underachieved. Nalbandian still clearly had a better career though. You could argue who has a better peak game.

But then again, you watch this and can't argue anymore.

lJN2NKfY8eU

:spit: Haas lost the same amount of games to Frauderer at Halle as Nalbandian did here.

BauerAlmeida
11-23-2012, 05:10 PM
:spit: Haas lost the same amount of games to Frauderer at Halle as Nalbandian did here.

What's your point?

Freak3yman84
11-23-2012, 05:19 PM
What's your point?

Mah point being that, that proves nothing about Nalby > Haas.

BauerAlmeida
11-23-2012, 05:22 PM
Mah point being that, that proves nothing about Nalby > Haas.

I was talking about PEAK level. And besides that, if you think 2007 Federer is the same as 2012 Federer you do not have a clue.

Not to mention Nalbandian had a mini-choke at the end of the set when serving 5-4 and it had to go to a tie-break, if not it would have been 2 games less.

Freak3yman84
11-23-2012, 05:47 PM
I was talking about PEAK level. And besides that, if you think 2007 Federer is the same as 2012 Federer you do not have a clue.

Not to mention Nalbandian had a mini-choke at the end of the set when serving 5-4 and it had to go to a tie-break, if not it would have been 2 games less.

Well that was peak Nalby, and if you think 2012 Haas is as good as peak Haas then you do not have a clue :shrug:

Oh really? So had Coria not choked at the RG final he would've won it, so I'm just going to go ahead and say that he won and is a GS champion!