Australia’s Klein fined for racial abuse of opponent [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Australia’s Klein fined for racial abuse of opponent

dam0dred
06-19-2009, 05:22 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=AtPN0Sv63IANU_92r0BBCmc4v7YF?slug=reu-meneastbourneklein&prov=reuters&type=lgns

By Clare Fallon

EASTBOURNE, England, June 19 (Reuters) - Australian player Brydan Klein has been fined 10,000 euros ($13,920) and suspended by his national sports body for racially abusing South African opponent Raven Klaasan during a qualifying match at the Eastbourne International, tennis officials said on Friday.

Klein, 19, had been given the maximum penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct, the men’s ATP Tour said in a statement, adding that it was carrying out a fuller investigation which could result in an additional penalty for aggravated behaviour.

Tennis Australia said in a statement it had suspended Klein from the Australian Institute of Sport Pro Tour Program and could impose further sanctions after an investigation.

Media reports in Australia said Klein, the 2007 Australian Open junior champion, had called Klaasan a “kaffir” and spat at his coach and another player.

“The ATP has a zero tolerance policy against racism,” the body’s statement said.

Klein, the world number 184, beat Klaasan and made it as far as the second round of the Eastbourne main draw before being beaten by Serbian Janko Tipsarevic.

First Hewitt, now this. Very unfortunate.

GlennMirnyi
06-19-2009, 05:24 PM
Zero tolerance?

Shouldn't he be suspended for some time?

Action Jackson
06-19-2009, 05:24 PM
Klein up to shit again.

Goldenoldie
06-19-2009, 05:25 PM
I think I must be a racist - I just can't stand Australians.

Andre♥
06-19-2009, 05:26 PM
:mad:

Action Jackson
06-19-2009, 05:27 PM
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,25662949-3162,00.html

Brydan Klein embarrassed by his racial slur

Leo Schlink

June 20, 2009 12:00am

TEENAGE Australian tennis player Brydan Klein yesterday issued a public apology to Raven Klaasen after admitting he had racially vilified his black South African opponent.

Klein, 19, faces sanctions from both the ATP Tour and Tennis Australia for calling Klaasen a "kaffir" at Eastbourne this week.

The 2007 Australian Open junior champion and current Davis Cup representative said he deeply regretted a "serious error in judgement".

"I would like to clarify my position on an incident that occurred during my match against Raven Klaasen in the last round of qualifying for the AEGON International at Eastbourne on June 14," Klein said in a statement.

"During the second set, after losing a point, I audibly used a racial slur.

"It was not my intention to racially vilify my opponent or cause offence to anybody else and I am deeply embarrassed that I behaved in this manner.

"I deeply regret my serious error in judgment in using this word and I am very sorry for the offence this has caused.

"After the match I called my opponent Raven and apologised for what had happened and also apologised for any offence caused to his support team.

"This incident is now currently being investigated by the ATP and as such I have been advised not to make any further comment."

The International Tennis Federation will also probe Klein's racial slur.

The Perth youngster has been suspended from the Australian Institute of Sport Pro Tour pending the investigation.

TA said it was extremely disappointed in Klein's conduct and would not rule out the possibility of further penalties.

Klaasen, 26, told his coach Stefan de Kock he was devastated by Klein's comment.

Use of the term is illegal in South Africa.

De Kock said Klein also spat at a group of South African coaches and players -- an accusation Klein denies.

green25814
06-19-2009, 05:29 PM
Essentially Klein called him a ni**er. This bitch should be banned.

jonathancrane
06-19-2009, 05:36 PM
What a moron

Smoke944
06-19-2009, 05:40 PM
Zero tolerance?

Agreed.

Ilovetheblues_86
06-19-2009, 05:44 PM
Interesting that nigger comes from negro which menas in portuguese or spanish "black", like noir.
In a literal way it´s just refering to the color of some person.
Funny, because when I was a kid I never thought it would be very derogative but since it is, we must tend to avoid.

Zabaleta, el negro, Ibarra, el negro, are funny nicknames.

amierin
06-19-2009, 05:47 PM
Good.

mitalidas
06-19-2009, 05:47 PM
I like the way he emphasizes that he "audibly" used the slur. Like as though saying it under his breath without anyone's knowing would excuse the behavior somehow.

chowdahead25
06-19-2009, 05:48 PM
A word is illegal in a country? Thats kinda cool.

Anyway, Klein should be suspended for 2 years. Racist filth.

Glad Janko taught him a lesson.

shotgun
06-19-2009, 05:48 PM
Isn't "kaffir" an expression used only in South Africa? Surprises me that Klein actually knew it.

Also, isn't Klaasen mixed?

prima donna
06-19-2009, 05:49 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaffir_(ethnic_slur)
The word kaffir, sometimes spelt kaffer or kafir, is an offensive term for a black person (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_people), most common in South Africa (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Africa) and other African countries. Generally considered a racial or ethnic slur in modern usage, it was previously a neutral term for black southern African (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Africa) people.
In South Africa today, the term is used both as an insult, and by some, as a common word for a black person. In any case, the term is regarded by most as highly offensive (in a similar way to "nigger (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigger)" in other countries). Use of the word has been actionable in South African courts since at least 1976 under the offence of crimen injuria: "the unlawful, intentional and serious violation of the dignity of another".[3] (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaffir_(ethnic_slur)#cite_note-2)

mitalidas
06-19-2009, 05:50 PM
Not sure-- the bio information is very scant.

Raven Klaasen

http://www4.pictures.gi.zimbio.com/South+Africa+Tennis+Open+Day+One+C4Lr3Z1Q3UVl.jpg

Action Jackson
06-19-2009, 05:54 PM
Isn't "kaffir" an expression used only in South Africa? Surprises me that Klein actually knew it.

Klein is from Perth. There are heaps of South Africans living in Perth, many of them were racists fleeing, so no surprise Klein is familar with the word.

During a cricket match in Perth, there were some of these clowns racially abusing some of the South African players and calling the white ones kaffir-lovers.

Yes, Klassen is mixed.

mitalidas
06-19-2009, 05:54 PM
Klein was fined $1527 for audible abuse during his second-round Australian Open loss to Swiss Stanislas Wawrinka in January.
He was disciplined in 2007 for language and racquet abuse while also competing in Britain.

(from Australian news)

shotgun
06-19-2009, 05:55 PM
Yeah I had the impression he was mixed after seeing him in a livestream for the Joburg tournament earlier this year. But it doesn't matter anyway, it's racist either way.

I remember when Klein said something like "fuck off old man" to Philippoussis in an AO WC playoff match a couple of years ago. Kid definitely seems troublesome.

shotgun
06-19-2009, 05:57 PM
Klein is from Perth. There are heaps of South Africans living in Perth, many of them were racists fleeing, so no surprise Klein is familar with the word.

During a cricket match in Perth, there were some of these clowns racially abusing some of the South African players and calling the white ones kaffir-lovers.

Yes, Klassen is mixed.

Thanks for the info.

Tarvold
06-19-2009, 05:57 PM
Yeah, what can you expect from a country that produced Rafter, Woodforde, Woodbridge, Luczak and Guccione? Racist bastards all of them. :p

Hey, be careful with that common sense and logic. People don't take too kindly to that on here.

timafi
06-19-2009, 05:59 PM
maybe Hewitt is Klein's role model http://emoticons4u.com/mad/1435.gif

Action Jackson
06-19-2009, 06:02 PM
Thanks for the info.

http://www.news24.com/News24/Sport/Cricket/0,,2-9-839_1902182,00.html

In January. In the first Test in Perth in December, South Africa's Makhaya Ntini, Ashwell Prince, Garnett Kruger and Shaun Pollock said they were taunted in Afrikaans.

Afrikaans isn't the main 2nd language in Aussie schools.

Klein is a cockchimp and has been suspended before when he was a junior for his antics.

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/0,21985,22264194-11088,00.html

fast_clay
06-19-2009, 06:04 PM
Most Australian's have a superiority complex because we are sporting's master race.

It is not arrogance, Australian's are just are just a genetically more enhanced race.

The unfortunate compromise in the elite physical trade off is the the complete loss of tact, a tendancy for substance abuse and a significant loss of intelligence.

Certinfy
06-19-2009, 06:07 PM
Tomic next?

Davodus
06-19-2009, 06:10 PM
klein talking shit again

terrible attitude

Stensland
06-19-2009, 06:14 PM
excuse my ignorance, but what the heck is a "kaffir"?

fast_clay
06-19-2009, 06:16 PM
its a very general statement, but aussie sportsmen can be thrown in with the analogy of the Show Dog...

looks pretty good, but dumb as f***...

RogerTheFederer
06-19-2009, 06:32 PM
Yes, a racial slur is a sign that should precede some sort of punishment that's goal would be to educate, but the people who call for him to be banned are ridiculous. At the end of the day it's simply a word. You same people would be the ones who would make a word illegal, but it just makes the problem worse. We should just educate children to not be offended by meaningless words.

I won't use the famous saying that's now cliche, but desensitization to words like kaffir, nigger, and spic is the way to take away the user's power, not by making them taboo.

Chiakifug
06-19-2009, 06:32 PM
The idiot should be banned from playing, full stop.

Beat
06-19-2009, 06:41 PM
"It was not my intention to racially vilify my opponent or cause offence to anybody else and I am deeply embarrassed that I behaved in this manner.

how did you end up doing it if it was not your intention, you stupid little boy?

this is really bad, and i don't understand why he was allowed to continue the tournament.

Hurley
06-19-2009, 06:41 PM
excuse my ignorance, but what the heck is a "kaffir"?

Excuse your blindness, but did you read the thread? :speakles:

boughtmypoints
06-19-2009, 06:53 PM
The K word is just highly, highly offensive in present day South Africa.

Ironically, it's the wrong epithet to throw at Raven ... the appropriate insult is the "H" word, a shortened version of the noun "Hottentot", as Raven belongs to the so called Coloured community. "Mixed" in South Africa generally means your parents are from 2 different racial/social groupings. Until a few years ago, it usually meant one parent Afrikaans, the other English!

Now if you want to compliment Klein on his choice of friends you might to call him a "boere jode", but that's actually too polite a term to describe this particular low life.

Anyway, Raven is a nice guy and does not deserve this kak.

boughtmypoints
06-19-2009, 07:01 PM
Yeah, what can you expect from a country that produced Rafter ... Luczak ? Racist bastards all of them. :p

Förlĺt mig, bjurra!

I have known those 2 players personally and I never detected any racist tendencies on their part. In fact, they struck me as very open minded individuals. Could you fill me in on what I missed?

Tarvold
06-19-2009, 07:07 PM
I'm sorry but where did I say that?
Anyway, it's no secret that Australia is quite xenophobic.

Australia is the most multicultural country in the world. Fact. Every country has their share of idiots, and judging by Klein, Australia is no exception.

Action Jackson
06-19-2009, 07:10 PM
Förlĺt mig, bjurra!

I have known those 2 players personally and I never detected any racist tendencies on their part. In fact, they struck me as very open minded individuals. Could you fill me in on what I missed?

He was being facetious.

JolánGagó
06-19-2009, 07:11 PM
Australia is the most multicultural country in the world. Fact. Every country has their share of idiots, and judging by Klein, Australia is no exception.

multiculture doesn't exclude racism, generates it.

Sapeod
06-19-2009, 07:13 PM
What a wanker. Hope is is suspended for quite some time :o

Tarvold
06-19-2009, 07:15 PM

You think? I would’ve thought living, communicating and becoming friends with people from many different cultures would make one less likely to be racist.

JolánGagó
06-19-2009, 07:20 PM
You think? I would’ve thought living, communicating and becoming friends with people from many different cultures would make one less likely to be racist.

empirical data doesn't seem to back up that theory.

boughtmypoints
06-19-2009, 07:24 PM
He was being facetious.

Tack ska ni har!

shotgun
06-19-2009, 07:26 PM
Multi-ethnic countries - veiled racism
Homogeneously ethnic countries - open racism, at least between themselves

tangerine_dream
06-19-2009, 07:27 PM
This is surprisingly true.

malisha
06-19-2009, 07:29 PM
Multi-ethnic countries - veiled racism
Homogeneously ethnic countries - open racism, at least between themselves

makes sense

Melly Flew Us
06-19-2009, 07:30 PM
The K word is just highly, highly offensive in present day South Africa.

Ironically, it's the wrong epithet to throw at Raven ... the appropriate insult is the "H" word, a shortened version of the noun "Hottentot", as Raven belongs to the so called Coloured community. "Mixed" in South Africa generally means your parents are from 2 different racial/social groupings. Until a few years ago, it usually meant one parent Afrikaans, the other English!

Now if you want to compliment Klein on his choice of friends you might to call him a "boere jode", but that's actually too polite a term to describe this particular low life.

Anyway, Raven is a nice guy and does not deserve this kak.

gosh, i've only seend the word hottentot in historical fiction over here in the uk.

what does "boere jode" mean?

its.like.that
06-19-2009, 07:38 PM
:spit: Yeah, we're known as the nation of 99% white supremacists. Just a look at the soccer national team and one of the most liked players is illustration enough.

I remember at the AO last year, during the Karlovic-Sela match, some croatian fans using nazi salutes in the crowd.

:lol:

its.like.that
06-19-2009, 07:40 PM
Australia is the most multicultural country in the world.

According to what measure?

malisha
06-19-2009, 07:43 PM
I remember at the AO last year, during the Karlovic-Sela match, some croatian fans using nazi salutes in the crowd.

fact is that it often happens on sports events in Croatia and with our fans abroad

Tarvold
06-19-2009, 07:49 PM
According to what measure?

Highest percentage of population born overseas.

its.like.that
06-19-2009, 07:49 PM

Huh? What town do you live in? Racial tension is everywhere in Australia.

You're probably a racist also.

If you got to pick the ethnicity of the family that moved in next door to you, which ethnicity would you choose:

a) chinese
b) indian
c) aboriginal
d) jewish
e) polynesian
f) redneck australian
g) african
h) arab
i) american

Don't say that you don't care. And now think about why you would not want families of the other ethnicities to move in, and the racist stereotypes you automatically associate with them.

its.like.that
06-19-2009, 07:50 PM
Tack ska ni har!

Yvan eht nioj!

its.like.that
06-19-2009, 07:51 PM
fact is that it often happens on sports events in Croatia and with our fans abroad

I thought it was quite amusing. It added to what was otherwise a rather boring match.

its.like.that
06-19-2009, 07:52 PM
Highest percentage of population born overseas.

Where do you see evidence of this?

JolánGagó
06-19-2009, 07:52 PM
just ilustrating the discussion:

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/1454/18042964469da77ea919.jpg

Tarvold
06-19-2009, 07:57 PM
Where do you see evidence of this?

Australian Bureau of Statistics says 23.6% of Australia's population was born overseas. Which country tops that?

Huh? What town do you live in? Racial tension is everywhere in Australia.

You're probably a racist also.

If you got to pick the ethnicity of the family that moved in next door to you, which ethnicity would you choose:

a) chinese
b) indian
c) aboriginal
d) jewish
e) polynesian
f) redneck australian
g) african
h) arab
i) american

Don't say that you don't care. And now think about why you would not want families of the other ethnicities to move in, and the racist stereotypes you automatically associate with them.

I wouldn't care. BTW, calling me a racist purely because I'm from Australia is no better than the comment that started this thread.

malisha
06-19-2009, 07:57 PM
are this pics from Thompsons concerts JolánGagó ?:lol:

JolánGagó
06-19-2009, 08:00 PM

yep.

that said, similar pics can be found about almost any "white" country, not to mention multicultural ones. racism is pervasive even in those places where its public display is severely repressed.

its.like.that
06-19-2009, 08:01 PM
Australian Bureau of Statistics says 23.6% of Australia's population was born overseas. Which country tops that?

You could be right! But I'll get back to you.

I wouldn't care. BTW, calling me a racist purely because I'm from Australia is no better than the comment that started this thread.

Ahhh so you're just a liar then. You've already answered my question in your head, but you refuse to answer honestly in fear of showing that you're a racist.

(for what it's worth, i am not french, and i live in canberra)

JolánGagó
06-19-2009, 08:03 PM

any gulf country by a mile. switzerland pretty close if not above.

dude, i go to Australia pretty often, there is lot of racism there, stop hiding your head in the sand.

its.like.that
06-19-2009, 08:04 PM
yep.

that said, similar pics can be found about almost any "white" country, not to mention multicultural ones. racism is pervasive even in those places where its public display is severely repressed.

This is true.

malisha
06-19-2009, 08:04 PM
racism is pervasive even in those places where its public display is severely repressed.

true

Tommy_Vercetti
06-19-2009, 08:06 PM
Arthur Ashe was the only real outspoken racist on the ATP tour in the modern era.

oranges
06-19-2009, 08:13 PM

Highly representative sample :lol:

safin-rules-no.1
06-19-2009, 08:16 PM
racism is pervasive even in those places where its public display is severely repressed.

Good point, and here in the UK is a good example

its.like.that
06-19-2009, 08:16 PM
Arthur Ashe was the only real outspoken racist on the ATP tour in the modern era.

Hewitt doesn't like black guys.

Monfils/Gasquet/Simon don't like arabs or italians.

Cilic/Ancic/Karlovic/Ljubicic don't like jews or albanians or serbs. Haas and Schuettler also don't like jews.

Koellerer hates most people.

Those are the only ones I can think of for the moment.

zeleni
06-19-2009, 08:17 PM

What is funny about that? He is the most popular singer in Croatia... since he sings like shit, his nazi ideas are the reason for popularity in your country... shame on you.

Action Jackson
06-19-2009, 08:20 PM
Hewitt doesn't like black guys.

Monfils/Gasquet/Simon don't like arabs or italians.

Cilic/Ancic/Karlovic/Ljubicic don't like jews or albanians or serbs. Haas and Schuettler also don't like jews.

Koellerer hates most people.

Those are the only ones I can think of for the moment.

You forgot Pashanski but you covered most of them.

Tommy must be taking a break from Stormfront.

Tommy_Vercetti
06-19-2009, 08:22 PM
Right. Because only white people can be racist, everyone else is a civil rights activist when they promote racial identity and special treatment. Anyone opposing that, well they are like an Aztec/Nazi/Stalinist/Incan/Zulu whatever term you want to use.

its.like.that
06-19-2009, 08:24 PM
What is funny about that? He is the most popular singer in Croatia... since he sings like shit, his nazi ideas are the reason for popularity in your country... shame on you.

Nobody is telling you what music to listen to.

:rolleyes:

mitalidas
06-19-2009, 08:24 PM

What year is that number for? And where is the bulk of the "overseas" coming from?

its.like.that
06-19-2009, 08:25 PM
Right. Because only white people can be racist, everyone else is a civil rights activist when they promote racial identity and special treatment. Anyone opposing that, well they are like an Aztec/Nazi/Stalinist/Incan/Zulu whatever term you want to use.

You are a racist.

oranges
06-19-2009, 08:27 PM
You are a racist.

... and you're not by what you've posted so far? Talk about a man with prejudice issues taking issue with someone else's prejudice :worship: The logical conundrum need to pull it off must give you a headache

Tommy_Vercetti
06-19-2009, 08:28 PM
You are a racist.

Anyone with a mind of their own and an independent bone on their body would have to a be a racist under the broad definition of the term today.

its.like.that
06-19-2009, 08:28 PM
... and you're not by what you've posted so far? Talk about a man with prejudice issues taking issue with someone else's prejudice :worship: The logical conundrum need to pull it off must give you a headache

Of course I'm a racist.

But my hatred does shift around.

:D

its.like.that
06-19-2009, 08:29 PM
What year is that number for? And where is the bulk of the "overseas" coming from?

don't know what year.

india, china, vietnam, bangladesh, new zealand

its.like.that
06-19-2009, 08:31 PM
Anyone with a mind of their own and an independent bone on their body would have to a be a racist under the broad definition of the term today.

Nazi.

:o

mitalidas
06-19-2009, 08:31 PM
don't know what year.

Thanks --not the UK?

Australia's is high, but the honor for highest overseas born population is Luxembourg's (37%) and Liechenstein's (over 33% ) last year.

JolánGagó
06-19-2009, 08:34 PM
don't know what year.

nah, most living Aussies born abroad came from Europe, basically the British Islands. the Asian brigade are just the newest kids on the block.

Action Jackson
06-19-2009, 08:34 PM
Of course I'm a racist.

But my hatred does shift around.

:D

You are honest about it, but yes Tommy is a Stormfront neo type, and doesn't have the guts to admit it.

Action Jackson
06-19-2009, 08:35 PM
Thanks --not the UK?

Australia's is high, but the honor for highest overseas born population is Luxembourg's (37%) and Liechenstein's (over 33% ) last year.

Very few of that percentage are citizens.

This is getting quite off topic.

out_here_grindin
06-19-2009, 08:38 PM

are you referring to affirmative action?

its.like.that
Thanks --not the UK?

Yeah, I guess the UK would rank fairly highly as well.

JolánGagó
citizenship is irrelevant in racism discussion, sharing a common space is what matters.

mitalidas
06-19-2009, 08:39 PM

What about Monaco? Or the Vatican? Or San Marino?

Ah yes, I did forget all those <fill in religion> fundamentalists lining up to live in the Vatican...

... At any rate, I recall when the Ambassador from San Marino to Indonesia was a Sikh. A San Marino Sikh. Complete with turban, sword et al

its.like.that
06-19-2009, 08:39 PM
nah, most living Aussies born abroad came from Europe, basically the British Islands. the Asian brigade are just the newest kids on the block.

In terms of citizens not born here in recent years, then the asians take the cake.

Action Jackson
06-19-2009, 08:46 PM
citizenship is irrelevant in racism discussion, sharing a common space is what matters.

It depends when it's done in such a way to make it harder for people to integrate. Koreans living in Japan for 300 years and not having a citzenship, therefore sharing a common space and being exclusive.

Machiavelli
06-19-2009, 08:50 PM
JImbo I am croatian, but i grew up in a true melting pot in Switzerland, during the war back here, I remember in my elementary class, from 23 students, 8 kids were native swiss, 5 were swiss but from african or asian origin, 7 kids were from Ex-Yugoslavia, 4 were turkish; we all came along quite well, but I will never forget a tunisian kid calling me milk face after we had a fight playing football, our teacher whitnessed this incident and we had a parents meeting with a theme called ''racism in school''; they made a huge deal about it

Regarding this incident:

Klien could have called him idiot, imbecil, fucker or i don't know what, but if he had just an average IQ he could have known what would happen, there's no accident in this, he knew what he was saying and he was way out of line, in his own four walls he can say and do whatever he wants, noone gives a shit, but as a pro player he has to stick to the rules, simple as that......

Action Jackson
06-19-2009, 08:53 PM
Klein confirmed what a lot of people in Aussie tennis already know, he missed out in the brains department.

Chris Seahorse
06-19-2009, 08:58 PM
Zero tolerance?

OMG...I can't believe it. I actually agree with GlennMirnyi on something. :eek:

Snowwy
06-19-2009, 09:08 PM
Still an entertaining player.

Black Adam
06-19-2009, 09:57 PM
Tommy V will always be available for these kinds of debates and he'll be defending the indefensible. Racism is a way of life and it's ugly and unjustified most of the time. A chip on the shoulder, insecurities , missplafe anger or a sense of unfairness. It'll always exist in humanity but must always be punished in a tough reasonable way.

Etern
06-19-2009, 10:02 PM
So kaffir is a racist expression? I had no idea about that. I thought kaffir were those lime leaves you have in thai food (anyone know the right word for what I'm thinking about?). Anyway it's really stupid of him and he deserves all the punishments he gets.

Ilovetheblues_86
06-19-2009, 10:27 PM
Klein is probably one of those kids who grew into some kind of bullshit circle of friends saying a lot of idiot things like: 'You are ugly" or "you suck" etc and likes to collect racist words.

That being said, he must grow up and understand that he should manage his anger and energy to things that won´t get him in trouble like those suspensions. He must understand to silence his hate and animosity like other players on the circuit do, just for the good of the politically correct.
Because Klein is not different than other people, he just didn´t learned how to shut up yet. There are more silenced racists in this world we could imagine.

andylovesaustin
06-19-2009, 10:32 PM
Anger management and sensitivity classes might be in order!

Yikes!

Pea
06-19-2009, 11:48 PM
How ridiculous to behave like that in public.

mitalidas
06-19-2009, 11:52 PM
Well Australia has had its fair share of racism claims, given how it treats certain would-be immigrants.
It doesn't surprise anyone I guess that many of the native population's view on this stuff is not completely different from the people leading the country.

FairWeatherFan
06-20-2009, 12:22 AM
Klein is a jerk but still young. He deserves to be punished, and hopefully this will knock some sense into him and he will behave better in the future. He is quite an entertaining player to watch, and one of the more talented among the younger Aussies, so it would be sad to see this behaviour destroy his career.

Off-topic; Australia does have a history of racism but that is at least under mild improvement with Rudd. He had the decency to apologise to the Aborigines, which is more than can be said for Howard, along with his disgraceful treatment of asylum seekers. Imputing it to all Australians from Klein's behaviour is rather stupid, but the racist culture is still there.

Because Klein is not different than other people, he just didn´t learned how to shut up yet. There are more silenced racists in this world we could imagine.

Great observation.

RonE
06-20-2009, 12:44 AM

Not that I condone Klein's behaviour in any way, but who gives a shit what you can or cannot stand. :)

the graduate
06-20-2009, 12:47 AM
So kaffir is a racist expression? I had no idea about that. I thought kaffir were those lime leaves you have in thai food (anyone know the right word for what I'm thinking about?). Anyway it's really stupid of him and he deserves all the punishments he gets.
kaffir=nigger its an insult created by the Afrikaners to insult black south africans.
Afrikaans is a blend of Dutch and french languages.:eek:
He must have grownup with rabid boers

out_here_grindin
06-20-2009, 12:51 AM
Tommy V will always be available for these kinds of debates and he'll be defending the indefensible. Racism is a way of life and it's ugly and unjustified most of the time. A chip on the shoulder, insecurities , missplafe anger or a sense of unfairness. It'll always exist in humanity but must always be punished in a tough reasonable way.

Even so, I believe that racism isn't as widespread ans strong as it once was. It is getting weaker, which is great news.

Deboogle!.
06-20-2009, 01:03 AM
So kaffir is a racist expression? I had no idea about that. I thought kaffir were those lime leaves you have in thai food (anyone know the right word for what I'm thinking about?). Anyway it's really stupid of him and he deserves all the punishments he gets.I have nothing else to add to this discussion, but yes, you are right, there are kaffir limes, but I would say it is purely a coincidence that it shares the name with a South African racial slur

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaffir_lime: "The Oxford Companion to Food recommends avoiding the name kaffir lime and instead using makrud lime because kaffir (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaffir_%28ethnic_slur%29) is offensive in some cultures. (For this reason, some South Africans refer to the fruit as K-lime.) However, kaffir lime appears to be much more common."

jmf07
06-20-2009, 01:05 AM
Hopefully this will teach Klein to calm down on court. He always has been a problem on court as illustrated by his fines, self verbal abuse of himself and then hitiing balls at his best mate who is still his mate etc. I think it is dumb of Tennis Australia to suspend him though even though he has been warned before for his behaviour before. He is our most talented player after Tomic and clearly has an on court problem so what are they going to do, turn their backs on him. Anyway I don’t know if you could say the AIS is all that beneficial for his career. Look at what it has done for some other players.

And :rolleyes: at all those saying Australians are racist. Yes we do have certain people who are morons but Australians for the most part are not racist. Yes we once were but so were a number of other countries and we were ashamed of that hence why we said sorry.

RonE
06-20-2009, 01:18 AM
Even so, I believe that racism isn't as widespread ans strong as it once was. It is getting weaker, which is great news.

You are naive if you believe this is so. It is just these days it is considered "politically incorrect" but it is still very much there beneath the surface everywhere you go. The one thing that remains constant in life apart from taxes is human nature and that will not change. Whenever there are conditions that make the rationalization for racism acceptable, it always rears its ugly head time and time again even in what are considered to be the most civilized and enlightened societies.

case
06-20-2009, 01:27 AM
racism still exists-people have just covered it over with politeness.

america only yesterday issued a formal apology for slavery.

a famous story during this presidential election came from a pollster who called a house and asked who they were going to vote for. the woman was heard to say " honey who are we voting for", in the background could be heard someone saying "were voting for the n__" and then she said into the phone
" yeah were voting for the n___"

racists voting for an african american-its a start...

people are flawed and bad, but we can change and we can improve ourselves
and improve this planet in doing so

oranges
06-20-2009, 01:40 AM
You are naive if you believe this is so. It is just these days it is considered "politically incorrect" but it is still very much there beneath the surface everywhere you go. The one thing that remains constant in life apart from taxes is human nature and that will not change. Whenever there are conditions that make the rationalization for racism acceptable, it always rears its ugly head time and time again even in what are considered to be the most civilized and enlightened societies.

Why is it necessarily naive? No one is saying it disappeared, but you don't seriously believe it's the same level as say 50 or even 20 years ago. All kinds of prejudices spring mainly from upbringing and prevalent values (or lack of it in this case)in the society, not from "human nature". While some might just suppress the still present racist tendencies because it's not politically correct, some have also grown up with those genuine values. It's the same with gay rights, women's equality, you name it. It's hardly a land of utopia, but at the same time, you can't not see the difference compared to a decade or two ago.

Bargearse
06-20-2009, 02:30 AM
Who does this lowly ranked racist chump think he is anyway? Giving himself notoriety with his big, filthy mouth because his tennis ability can't get him any attention. I'm in Australia and can't stand Tomic or this clown - two nobodies who quite possibly will never amount to anything because they think they are better than they actually are.

out_here_grindin
06-20-2009, 02:34 AM
Why is it necessarily naive? No one is saying it disappeared, but you don't seriously believe it's the same level as say 50 or even 20 years ago. All kinds of prejudices spring mainly from upbringing and prevalent values (or lack of it in this case)in the society, not from "human nature". While some might just suppress the still present racist tendencies because it's not politically correct, some have also grown up with those genuine values. It's the same with gay rights, women's equality, you name it. It's hardly a land of utopia, but at the same time, you can't not see the difference compared to a decade or two ago.

Exactly. I never said that racism had dissapeared, but you can't tell me its at the same level now as it was in the 50's and 60's when black people couldn't even eat in the same building as whites. No one is born racist, its from society.

Also good point relating to homosexuals. They are becoming more accepted in recent years when decades ago it wasn't even talked about it was thought to be so heinous.

Experimentee
06-20-2009, 04:59 AM
Klein has been up to this shit for years. No surprises here. He is a first class arsehole and should be heavily punished.

Audacity
06-20-2009, 05:29 AM
Why did Klein resort to racialy discriminating his opponent? Did something tick him off, or did he just blow up for losing a point? Typically, childish Brydan. I know I've lost alot of respect for him now, and he should be punished accordingly.

Guy Haines
06-20-2009, 05:30 AM
Pathetic. Curious to see how his punishment stacks up next to Gasquet's in the world of tennis law.

Rosa Luxembourg
06-20-2009, 07:22 AM
this to me is worth than match fixing. 2 year ban - that's zero tolerance not some stinky $10,000.

happy to have this bustard on my shit list

Goldenoldie
06-20-2009, 08:36 AM
If Klein had any sense he would have claimed he didn't say the word Kaffir at all. He said Gaffer, meaning boss, manager, person in charge, i.e. he was complimenting his opponent!;)

Allez
06-20-2009, 08:59 AM
Everyone should be free to believe what they want to believe to like and dislike as they choose so long ay they do not abuse others because of their beliefs. It is my belief that racists are very small minded people but I would never seek to impose that belief on them. This Klein character is racist and full of shit (I don't like him at all), but that is no reason to ban him for donkeys years or whatever. It's his choice. If he gets banned for calling someone an apparently offensive word, then players should be banned for swearing at opponents/ umpires as well. Let there be consistency.

Now I would not be offended one bit if someone used a racial slur against me. It's their opinion and it has zero to do with me. If I'm not the one thinking the thoughts or saying the words how can I be affected by it? If they spit on me or hit me then they there may be an equal but opposite reaction but that is just a law of physics.

Etern
06-20-2009, 08:59 AM
kaffir=nigger its an insult created by the Afrikaners to insult black south africans.
Afrikaans is a blend of Dutch and french languages.:eek:
He must have grownup with rabid boers

I have nothing else to add to this discussion, but yes, you are right, there are kaffir limes, but I would say it is purely a coincidence that it shares the name with a South African racial slur

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaffir_lime: "The Oxford Companion to Food recommends avoiding the name kaffir lime and instead using makrud lime because kaffir (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kaffir_%28ethnic_slur%29) is offensive in some cultures. (For this reason, some South Africans refer to the fruit as K-lime.) However, kaffir lime appears to be much more common."

Thanks, now I have learned something new. :)

Experimentee
06-20-2009, 09:25 AM
Klein must be someone who goes around collecting racist insults as I would say most Australians wouldn't know that the word kaffir is a racial insult. I must admit that I did not know, I thought it was a leaf that was commonly used in Thai cooking.

boughtmypoints
06-20-2009, 09:39 AM
The 2 largest components of the very mixed so called "white" Afrikaner population are Dutch and French (Huguenots) with 9% of Afrikaner genes NON WHITE. Similarly with the Afrikaans language, there are many loan words from non European languages, most famously "piesang", Malay/Bihasa for banana.

However, besides some loan words, the Afrikaans language has very little French influence. It is essentially a simplified Germanic language which has "moved" closer and closer to English.

"My hand is in water" is actually Afrikaans, but pronunced more like "May 'and es en watter".

Afrikaans for smoking is "Rok" which is closer to the Swedish "Roka" than the German "Rauchen".

To save a slot :

"Boere jode" used to mean an Afrikaans speaking Jew who traveled the country selling to the farmers. Not that the K word is Afrikaans but it is most certainly a loan word used in both Afrikaans and English.

The word Hottentot is used these days to describe a mountain range outside of Cape Town called the Hottentots Holland mountains. The original Hottentot population is submerged within the much broader so called "coloured" community.

aussie_fan
06-20-2009, 12:16 PM
Racism happens everywhere, :rolleyes: at the morons having a go at Australia because of Klein.

He should be banned for some time, maybe 6 months, any longer you are going above some drug bans and this isn't worse than cheating.

Action Jackson
06-21-2009, 12:13 PM
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/sport/wa-tennis-star-fined-14000-for-racial-slur-20090620-crqs.html

And despite issuing a public apology, the ATP handed down a $ A14,000 fine to Klein, saying further penalties could arise out of a full investigation.

South African tennis bosses were outraged by Klein's alleged behaviour, and lodged formal complaints with the international and Australian tennis federations.

Tennis Australia said in a statement it had suspended Klein from the Australian Institute of Sport Pro Tour Program and could impose further sanctions after an investigation.

Klein, 19, was given the maximum penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct, the men's ATP Tour said in a statement, adding that it was also carrying out a fuller investigation which could result in an additional penalty.

Sunset of Age
06-21-2009, 12:35 PM
That Klein fellow comes across as a very immature, badly raised, non-educated spoilt kid imho.

L James
06-21-2009, 01:04 PM
I only knew Klein had a big mouth from these previous antics:

A FOUR-LETTER insult from fiery Australian Open junior champion Brydan Klein last night prompted an unprecedented outburst from Mark Philippoussis, who challenged the 17-year-old to repeat the words and accused him of a lack of respect.

Klein was heard to tell the former world No. 8 and dual grand slam finalist to "f--- off" after Philippoussis had broken his serve with a fine drop volley for 4-2 in the first set. The usually unflappable Philippoussis reacted furiously, telling Klein, among other things, that "you're not playing juniors any more".

Philippoussis described the incident as "nothing" after the 6-3, 7-5 win on the opening night of the Australian Open wildcard play-off, insisting that "it was fun to be out there".

When pressed on whether he had been upset by Klein's comment, he said: "I'm just really happy to be back on the court."

Although the pair shared a handshake at the net afterwards, perhaps the best barometer of Philippoussis' mood came in his reaction to match point, when he raised his arms and turned to his chilly entourage to bellow what sounded suspiciously like "the old man won".

Klein had joked after the draw the previous day about Philippoussis' recent loss to 48-year-old John McEnroe in a seniors match, and suggested that he had nothing to lose against a player he suggested did not deserve a wildcard ahead of the younger generation if he did not earn it via the play-off.

Action Jackson
06-21-2009, 01:06 PM
Klein has form, suspended when on the juniors as well.

tennis2tennis
06-21-2009, 02:35 PM
really feel sorry for the australians have little pricks like him to deal with!

Snoo Foo
06-21-2009, 02:46 PM
australians have little pricks

good to know

Corey Feldman
06-21-2009, 02:49 PM
That Klein fellow comes across as a very immature, badly raised, non-educated spoilt kid imho.maybe he's related to Roddick :confused:

Xavier7
06-21-2009, 03:33 PM
Am I the only one who just finds player outbursts entertaining, and thinks they should just be allowed to carry on like that if they want.
McCenroe and Connors probably brought in more publicity and spectators to the sport with their outbursts and aggressive on court attitude.
Maybe fine the guy but don't ban him.
Most black people wouldn't know what you were on about if you said kaffer to them anyway.

tennis2tennis
06-21-2009, 03:40 PM
good to know

boom boom!;), I was trying to sneak that in without anyone noticing!

Action Jackson
06-21-2009, 03:41 PM
Am I the only one who just finds player outbursts entertaining, and thinks they should just be allowed to carry on like that if they want.
McCenroe and Connors probably brought in more publicity and spectators to the sport with their outbursts and aggressive on court attitude.
Maybe fine the guy but don't ban him.
Most black people wouldn't know what you were on about if you said kaffer to them anyway.

Good to see you are taking the piss.

Klein could have abused him and not need to bring his race into it, but he did. Considering the term he used is the equivalent of calling him a nigger.

BNP must be proud to have your vote.

fast_clay
06-21-2009, 04:05 PM
good to know

it is a very sweeping general statement... but rings very true for the most part...

i myself am not well endowed, its laughable... but it has only allowed me to engineer and develop other parts of my game... i am what you would call, the complete product...

Rafa = Fed Killa
06-21-2009, 04:26 PM

Canada is the most multicultural country in the world.

We are known for our tolerance unlike Australia
What the hell is wrong with Englands prisoner dumping ground.
Klein should be banned, he is as bad as the MTF crew who called Nadal a pig because he is latino. Sick of all the racists everywhere.

PS Prove me wrong

fast_clay
06-21-2009, 04:30 PM

What the hell is wrong with Englands prisoner dumping ground. Klein should be banned, he is as bad as the MTF crew who called Nadal a pig because he is latino. Sick of all the racists everywhere.

PS Prove me wrong

we are racist to everyone... we have no predjudice... we do not discriminate...

it is better this way... everyone deserves equality... we are born this way...

Rafa = Fed Killa
06-21-2009, 04:40 PM
we are racist to everyone... we have no predjudice... we do not discriminate...

it is better this way... everyone deserves equality... we are born this way...

Good to know. Australia must be full of Fedtards who like calling non white people pigs or monkeys.

fast_clay
06-21-2009, 04:48 PM
Good to know. Australia must be full of Fedtards who like calling non white people pigs or monkeys.

yes, you would quite like it there...

but you would probably assimilate better in new zealand, because there are many fedtards there and they also suffer from neighbourhood inferiority complex in the same manner as canadians...

Rafa = Fed Killa
06-21-2009, 05:10 PM
yes, you would quite like it there...

but you would probably assimilate better in new zealand, because there are many fedtards there and they also suffer from neighbourhood inferiority complex in the same manner as canadians...

Canada has been voted the best country to live in before. Dont know about Australia or USA. So no there is no inferiority complex here. Try again.

dam0dred
06-21-2009, 05:37 PM
Canada has been voted the best country to live in before.

Yeah and one of the main reasons we've been slipping down that UN list is because of the massive human rights issues with regards to the living conditions and treatment of native Canadians. Every country has issues with racism, including us.

fast_clay
06-21-2009, 05:43 PM
Canada has been voted the best country to live in before. Dont know about Australia or USA. So no there is no inferiority complex here. Try again.

no... its just that i have heard the response 'no no... what..? no... i am from Canada' in equal measure to the phrase 'no no... what...? no... i am from New Zealand'.

you could find peace in New Zealand... i can feel it in your words...

Xavier7
06-21-2009, 06:56 PM
Klein could have abused him and not need to bring his race into it, but he did. Considering the term he used is the equivalent of calling him a nigger.

Its not the same as calling him a nigger because thats a word everyone thinks of as offensive.
I'd never heard of the word kaffer til reading this thread, so I wouldn't really think of it as bad.

Action Jackson
06-21-2009, 07:09 PM
Its not the same as calling him a nigger because thats a word everyone thinks of as offensive.
I'd never heard of the word kaffer til reading this thread, so I wouldn't really think of it as bad.

Stop being a clown. The term kaffir and how it is used in relation to South Africans has been explained by myself, Prima Donna, boughtmypoints.

Klaasen is a South African, therefore Klein knowing this and he grew up in an area where there are many white South Africans. Considering Afrikaans is Klassen's first language and Klein used that term, to make sure he understood it.

Yes, it is the equivalent to calling a black or mixed race South African a nigger. The link below, Nel an Afrikaaner getting called a "nigger lover", so don't talk about shit, you don't have a clue about.

http://www.news24.com/News24/Sport/Cricket/0,,2-9-839_1858406,00.html

Andre Nel was again targeted for racist remarks at the SCG where the third and final Test is being played.

Just before tea he was labelled a "kaffir lover" by a group of spectators. Nel immediately went to the captain, Graeme Smith, and informed him of the slur.

prima donna
06-21-2009, 07:43 PM
Racism is racism.

This sort of deplorable language should be reserved for environments which are receptive to such grotesque debasement of human beings (e.g., European football stadiums, college campuses, trailer parks, construction sites).

Rumour
06-21-2009, 10:18 PM

What the hell is wrong with Englands prisoner dumping ground.
Klein should be banned, he is as bad as the MTF crew who called Nadal a pig because he is latino. Sick of all the racists everywhere.

PS Prove me wrong

Five years of living in Canada showed me just how overrated and sometimes phony its so-called racial tolerance and embrace of cultural diversity is. Yes, people tend to be more 'polite' about it - that's actually one stereotype I found true ;) - but the country has its own history of discrimination against minority groups like native/aboriginal, African and Japanese Canadians that it tends to downplay or ignore entirely while turning up its nose at the US' record of racial injustice. I personally went through a highly unpleasant experience that proved just how seriously even the legal system takes repeated and highly offensive racial abuse i.e. not at all, in my case anyway.

Yeah and one of the main reasons we've been slipping down that UN list is because of the massive human rights issues with regards to the living conditions and treatment of native Canadians. Every country has issues with racism, including us.

Exactly. In fact, I not only observed but encountered multicultural conflict - particularly the English/French divide - and its impact a lot more in Canada than I did during a similar amount of time spent in the States. That's not to say that Canadians are more racist than Americans, just that they are not as innocent of blame as many would like to believe.

Back to the original topic: I particularly detest it when people use words that they clearly know at the time are derogatory to the intended target and then have the gall to claim afterwards that no offence was meant. Klein's use of a term specific to his opponent's country, rather than a more 'generic' slur, IMO disproves his later statement about not meaning to "racially vilify my opponent or cause offence to anybody else" and prevents me from accepting his apology as truly contrite and genuine.

the graduate
06-21-2009, 11:48 PM
A lot of apatheid sympathizers left South Africa for Australia,New Zealand and Canada.Some Rhodesians also add to the number so its not surprising that Australia has lately been having race problems and Klein is a product of that environment same with Hewitt.:devil:

yonexforever
06-22-2009, 01:11 AM
I didnt realize that was a slur!
Kaffir Boy was an autobiography written by my college room mate Mark Mathabane. Maybe during the time he wrote the book the term was in its neutral use phase.

star
06-22-2009, 01:14 AM
Really, that's very interesting. I'm familiar with that book. But I think the title was a comment on how he was discriminated against.

From Wikipedia:
Mark Mathabane describes his life growing up in South Africa, just outside of Johannesburg. He lives in a township of Alexandra with his mother, father, brother and five sisters. It takes place during the time of industrial colonialism. He is very poor growing up, often enveloped in starvation and brutality from the Peri-Urban (an Apartheid police force in South Africa). He learns, though, that prejudice is not justified, even by the oppressed. Mathabane begins to take his education to new heights, searching for admittance to American universities. His abilities as a tennis player grow more impressive as he progresses from black competitions to the more prestigious white state competitions. He's soon banned by the black tennis congregation, due to this participation in white tournaments. He ultimately leaves with a scholarship to an American college thanks to a well-known American tennis player and other privileged white benefactors.

Wkipedia has this definition for Kaffir: Kaffir (racial term): a term formerly used to refer to any of several southern African peoples, now an offensive word for a black person in the region.

switz
06-22-2009, 03:08 AM

and small minded people like you who say they can't stand a whole country based on their dealings with a few people are so much better :o

klein is an idiot. and an average tennis player.

FedFan_2007
06-22-2009, 03:13 AM
Racist haters should be banned from tennis. :o

tangerine_dream
06-22-2009, 04:11 AM
MTF is great. I learn new, interesting racial terms every day. I've lived a sheltered life. I didn't know what "golliwog" was before until polite MTFers informed me that it was a very bad word and now I know what a "kaffir" is.

Nothing like keeping racism alive by keeping us all up to date on various racial epithets.

Guy Haines
06-22-2009, 04:33 AM
MTF is great. I learn new, interesting racial terms every day. I've lived a sheltered life. I didn't know what "golliwog" was before until polite MTFers informed me that it was a very bad word and now I know what a "kaffir" is.

Nothing like keeping racism alive by keeping us all up to date on various racial epithets.

I see the irony but you can probably thank Klein more than anyone here. And tennis can be just as racially backward as a construction site, most likely regardless of what country you're in. It's written into the history, via "elite" clubs that wouldn't allow blacks or Jews to join.

Matchu
06-22-2009, 08:00 AM
If you consider Australian as its own race (which there are fors and againsts for both sides) then a lot of people outside of Australia have racially abused Australians on this thread by saying comments like "no suprise that an Australian said that" that in its self is stereotyping.

I'm not defending Kleins actions at all but almost every South African I know that has moved to where I live (the Gold Coast) are very racist. Australia being such multicultral country it happens that one of these racist South Africans attend an Australian school where they come into contact with a black person. Whether this person be polynesian, african, aboriginal etc. it happens and I've seen it happen and suddenly someone like me hears terms that I have not heard before ie. kaffir and think its ok to use. It's all about what we are being exposed to.

Quite a few of the baby boomers that live in Australia ie. my parents and their friends aren't aware that nigger and negro and such are terms that are actually offensive. Australians have a very racist history from the very beginning, when the British first landed in Tasmania they killed every aboriginal there and it culminated with the white only policy, where only white people were allowed entry to our shores. I am 18 years old so I have not grown up this way, I have just graduated from school and will say that schools in Australia, well at least private schools, make students very aware of racism and make sure they know that it is wrong.

The Australian Government is trying very hard to make up for these racist acts of our history by having a sorry day where our Prime Minister (who is white) publicly apologised to the aboriginal community of Australia for what our Ancestors did to theirs. So say all you want about Australia but it is what it is but I don't think there is an Australian out there (actually born raised and parents are born and raised in Australia) that was not proud of Cathy Freeman (aboriginal) when she won the Gold Medal at the Sydney 2000 Olympics.

the graduate
06-22-2009, 10:17 AM

Five years of living in Canada showed me just how overrated and sometimes phony its so-called racial tolerance and embrace of cultural diversity is. Yes, people tend to be more 'polite' about it - that's actually one stereotype I found true ;) - but the country has its own history of discrimination against minority groups like native/aboriginal, African and Japanese Canadians that it tends to downplay or ignore entirely while turning up its nose at the US' record of racial injustice. I personally went through a highly unpleasant experience that proved just how seriously even the legal system takes repeated and highly offensive racial abuse i.e. not at all, in my case anyway.

Exactly. In fact, I not only observed but encountered multicultural conflict - particularly the English/French divide - and its impact a lot more in Canada than I did during a similar amount of time spent in the States. That's not to say that Canadians are more racist than Americans, just that they are not as innocent of blame as many would like to believe.

Back to the original topic: I particularly detest it when people use words that they clearly know at the time are derogatory to the intended target and then have the gall to claim afterwards that no offence was meant. Klein's use of a term specific to his opponent's country, rather than a more 'generic' slur, IMO disproves his later statement about not meaning to "racially vilify my opponent or cause offence to anybody else" and prevents me from accepting his apology as truly contrite and genuine.
I lived in Canada too and found out that for the most canadians are polite they hold the door for the next person,they are nice but racism is there especially for job opportunities for non-white immigrants whether you are from Asia,Africa,Caribean ,south america and eastern Europeans are discrimated against because they dont speak english well you are all in one basket,they give an excuse of saying canadian experience first...yes there is racism in Canada but its very subtle unlike the brash Americans who are in your face with their racism.

Snowwy
06-22-2009, 10:55 AM
If you dont speak English how do you expect to get a job in Canada...thats not racism, that smart to not give them the job as they are not qualified.

Lee
06-22-2009, 01:17 PM
I lived in Canada too and found out that for the most canadians are polite they hold the door for the next person,they are nice but racism is there especially for job opportunities for non-white immigrants whether you are from Asia,Africa,Caribean ,south america and eastern Europeans are discrimated against because they dont speak english well you are all in one basket,they give an excuse of saying canadian experience first...yes there is racism in Canada but its very subtle unlike the brash Americans who are in your face with their racism.

As Snowwy said, how do you expect an employer give you a job when you can't even speak one of the official languages of the country?

the graduate
06-23-2009, 03:13 AM
If you dont speak English how do you expect to get a job in Canada...thats not racism, that smart to not give them the job as they are not qualified.even if you speak english well they will never give you the job.Most engineers from middle east,india,pakistan,eastern europe are driving taxis its really sad.They are assured of jobs before they get to Canada .:sad: