Simon is underrated [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Simon is underrated

green25814
06-19-2009, 05:34 PM
I've said some things about Simon, and a few are true. Yes he's a pusher, and his flat shots are mostly useless. He's also in a really bad run of form. However.

I can see why he's got where he is. Above all, he plays INTELLIGENT tennis, which is a severely underrated aspect in today's game. He actually outthinks people, relying on tactics, similarly to Murray. When on form, Simon is a really good player imo.

I dont expect much out of him at wimbledon, but i dont think he should be dismissed. You never know, he could string a few performances togethor and gain some form.

This is a sensible thread btw, no clowns.

MsTree
06-19-2009, 05:34 PM
This is a sensible thread btw, no clowns.

Good luck with that :)

finishingmove
06-19-2009, 05:35 PM
hardcourts are his domain

green25814
06-19-2009, 05:38 PM
Good luck with that :)

Yeah well. I just kinda realised that 'simug' is just an easy target people pick on because they dont like his style. These people are probably ignorant of the game, and are only capable of understanding winner = point. Tennis is more than that, though i do also enjoy watching attacking tennis.

If Murray can do well on grass, simug can too imo.

Action Jackson
06-19-2009, 05:44 PM
Simple Simon, lets see him defend the points from last season.

Simon just loves when players ballbash so he can use their pace of shot against them. Hanescu showed his weaknesses at RG and Boredo plays him very well, don't give him the pace and get the ball up shoulder high, he isn't generating pace.

green25814
06-19-2009, 05:47 PM
He's an intelligent guy, he'll work around it. I'm certain he will have a semi-successful career bar injuries.

Action Jackson
06-19-2009, 05:49 PM
He has made a QF of a Slam, that is success.

Goldenoldie
06-19-2009, 05:49 PM
Sorry, a few good results at the back end of last year and he's in the top 8. If he is still in the top 8 by November I will personally buy a ticket for TMC and give it to anybody who wants it so they can cheer him on.

green25814
06-19-2009, 05:53 PM
Sorry, a few good results at the back end of last year and he's in the top 8. If he is still in the top 8 by November I will personally buy a ticket for TMC and give it to anybody who wants it so they can cheer him on.

Seriously?

Ouragan
06-19-2009, 05:57 PM
Underrated or 'underrented' ? :)
Can't blame the haters right now, dude is #7 but losing to all sorts of guys outside the top50. He should get back in form after the grass season though.

GlennMirnyi
06-19-2009, 05:57 PM
Yeah, you need Gauss' IQ to retrieve shots.

Maybe for a simpleton, other simpletons look intelligent.

Lee
06-19-2009, 05:58 PM

It's WTF, not TMC now. :lol:

green25814
06-19-2009, 06:03 PM
Yeah, you need Gauss' IQ to retrieve shots.

Maybe for a simpleton, other simpletons look intelligent.

He doesnt just retrieve though, he retrieves and places them akwardly, and differently with each opponent. I know theres not much else in his game, but that is intelligent.

Goldenoldie
06-19-2009, 06:07 PM
It's WTF, not TMC now. :lol:

Sorry I thought WTF stood for What the F**k. I'll know better next time

GlennMirnyi
06-19-2009, 06:10 PM
He doesnt just retrieve though, he retrieves and places them akwardly, and differently with each opponent. I know theres not much else in his game, but that is intelligent.

That's not intelligent.

Scrambling isn't intelligent.

Goldenoldie
06-19-2009, 06:16 PM
Seriously?

Seriously, I expect him to drop to around #12 or #13 by the end of the year. I expect Verdasco, Tsonga, Davydenko, Cilic and Soderling to pass him, and perhaps Gonzalez.

Mint Chip
06-19-2009, 06:16 PM
Yes Simon is having a bad year and its due from him not wanting to just be a pusher. Simon's losses this year is because he's trying to be more aggressive and consistent and its not working. Only a few of his matches this year was he just pushing the ball back into play. Simon isn't going to hit the ball as hard as Del Potro or a Tsonga but it is true he needs a little more variety in his game

green25814
06-19-2009, 06:24 PM
Seriously, I expect him to drop to around #12 or #13 by the end of the year. I expect Verdasco, Tsonga, Davydenko, Cilic and Soderling to pass him, and perhaps Gonzalez.

I meant would you give away a tmc ticket if he did? Because i'd take you up on that offer. :p

Goldenoldie
06-19-2009, 06:28 PM
I meant would you give away a tmc ticket if he did? Because i'd take you up on that offer. :p

Yes, if I had a ticket and Simon qualified, I'd give it to you.

Burrow
06-19-2009, 06:40 PM
It's not opinion whether you think he is a very good player on form. It's factual information that the rankings prove.

green25814
06-19-2009, 06:41 PM
:woohoo:

Shadow Knows
06-19-2009, 06:52 PM
It's not opinion whether you think he is a very good player on form. It's factual information that the rankings prove.

Reward-based rankings are entirely arbitrary and have no validity. You'd think the decision to change the point schema from one year to the next should have amply demonstrated this principle.

oranges
06-19-2009, 07:09 PM
He's an intelligent guy, he'll work around it. I'm certain he will have a semi-successful career bar injuries.

So why didn't he come up with an intelligent plan whenever someone gives him trouble with the exact same strategy? Match with Ljubicic rings any bells. Seriously, this defensive-means-intelligent mantra is slowly becoming a staple here almost as much as mug. Intelligent by definition means dealing well with new and unpredictable circumstances. For a good example, see how Haas dismantled Chardy's game in RG, rather than a myriad of examples of players who simply play their own game no matter what most of the time.

green25814
06-24-2009, 06:08 AM
Simon is looking good, as i predicted. Dark horse for the quarters imo.

Forehander
06-24-2009, 06:20 AM
Sry but Simon is a huge disgrace to tennis. I'd rather watch the WTA than watching his ugly strokes.

Guy Haines
06-24-2009, 07:28 AM
Sry but Simon is a huge disgrace to tennis. I'd rather watch the WTA than watching his ugly strokes.

Are you sore because he beat Federer? I can understand how people here call Gilles a pusher, and not like his style of play, but there are tons of players on tour with uglier strokes. His form is quite clean.

Oranges, if you read an interview or two with Gilles you'll see he's more intelligent or articulate than a lot of the players on tour. Whether that translates to on court intelligence or a brilliant approach to tennis is another thing. (Ljubicic is also very smart, and usually seems more mature than a lot of the tour.) Gilles seems like he has a tendency to see both sides of a lot of situations, and be very analytical of his form from match to match, and that kind of perspective can make things overly complicated.

I felt like Gilles was seriously underrated last year. This year he's having a hard time delivering. He's not as woeful as people think -- reading MTF you'd think he's headed outta the top 50. But he's been top 10-20 this year, and not that inspired.

Cloudygirl
06-24-2009, 07:53 AM
He was really good yesterday. He had plenty of pace on his shots and variety. Not a muggy performance at all.

leng jai
06-24-2009, 07:58 AM
I believe the term you are looking for is underrented.

HeretiC
06-24-2009, 08:47 AM
There have been plenty of discussions about Simon's game in the past and recently, no need for a repetition, unless it is for trolling purposes. :shrug:
He has very kind draw, lets see if he can live up his seeding and reach the QF.

Mĺnu
06-24-2009, 08:54 AM
There have been plenty of discussions about Simon's game in the past and recently, no need for a repetition, unless it is for trolling purposes. :shrug:
He has very kind draw, lets see if he can live up his seeding and reach the QF.

He should reach 4th round IMO, then Fernando Gonzalez should be tough to beat... but he had knee problems so it'll depend on his fitness as well

Langers
06-24-2009, 09:01 AM
Simon is EASILY my favourite of all the French players on tour.

The OP is dead on, he plays an intelligent game and tries to out-think his opponents. I like him a lot. :yeah:

I have no idea why he's so hated on this board. :o

whattheheck
06-24-2009, 09:35 AM
I hope he makes the quarters

reggie1
06-24-2009, 11:12 AM
Well BBC2 couldn't even get his picture right. On their "seeds" board they put a picture of Gasquet under Simon' name and then a picture of Ancic under Verdasco's. Gasquet and Ancic aren't even playing this year!!! They're so focused on Muzza atm, everybody else is an "also-ran", we don't even seem to be getting the endless Fed-God love like usual :lol:

Ouragan
06-24-2009, 11:12 AM
1/4s might be stretching it, he's not on top form, has a bad knee and no record on grass.

reggie1
06-24-2009, 11:16 AM
Simon is EASILY my favourite of all the French players on tour.

The OP is dead on, he plays an intelligent game and tries to out-think his opponents. I like him a lot. :yeah:

I have no idea why he's so hated on this board. :oMe neither, I really like Gilles too. He goes against the tennis stereotype, that you have to be well over 6 foot, built like Robocop and played spectacularly since the age of 3! I find him quite inspirational and he thinks about his shots rather than just bashing the ball so hard that his opponenet is obliterated off the court. His matches are entertaining and unpredictable, plus he FIGHTS and I love a little bloke that can fight his corner against the big old boys.

rtgy
06-24-2009, 03:19 PM
I have no idea why he's so hated on this board. :o

because he kick Fed-God' ass twice...............that's why!!! they are a lot of idiots with their own BIG complexes around, that's why!!! ;)

Me neither, I really like Gilles too. He goes against the tennis stereotype, that you have to be well over 6 foot, built like Robocop and played spectacularly since the age of 3!

:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

you deserve a BIG good rep. for that!!!;)

green25814
06-24-2009, 03:27 PM
He's hated because the average mtfer loves to follow trends, whether thats bandwagoning a player or hating them. A few people called Simon the ultimate pusher after he beat fed, and so a bunch of people decided to follow the hate trend.

He is a pusher, but so what? That doesnt deserve 'hate' :lol:

sheva07
06-24-2009, 03:37 PM
Simon underrated?:eek: It's the opposite!

FlameOn
06-24-2009, 03:43 PM
He is a pusher, but so what? That doesnt deserve 'hate'

:lol: Says the countryman of Caroline Wozniacki. A little biased aren't you?

McAlistar
06-24-2009, 05:34 PM
I dont think his flat forehands are two bad, for a skinny guy he can really belt it at times. Just he doesnt open up that often :o

rtgy
06-24-2009, 05:50 PM
Simon underrated?:eek: It's the opposite!

now that's a good sense of humour;) :worship::worship::worship:

:lol:

luxsword
06-24-2009, 06:31 PM
Did you know the name Gilles is French form of GILES
From the Late Latin name Aegidius, which is derived from Greek αιγιδιον (aigidion) meaning "young goat". Saint Giles was an 8th-century miracle worker from Greece who is regarded as the patron saint of the crippled. In Old French the name Aegidius became Gidie and then Gilles, at which point it was imported to England.
? :devil:

Certinfy
06-24-2009, 06:32 PM
Simon is easily my 3rd/4th fave player :hug:

fred perry
06-24-2009, 08:12 PM
Simon is the typical french player. Very classy on occassion but won't ever win a slam like the English will.

marquez
06-24-2009, 10:02 PM
overrated imo

Arkulari
06-24-2009, 10:04 PM
I just don't like him :shrug:

MsTree
06-24-2009, 10:10 PM
Could Gillou's H2H with Fed be the reason the Fedtards don't like him :lol:

And someone with Fognini in their sig calling Gillou overrated :haha::haha:

sammy01
06-24-2009, 10:13 PM
hes a very good player, but hes not flashy so people don't respect him. it always makes me laugh when people gush over players that can hit the odd great winner and call them uber talented, but totally dismiss a player like simon who can actually defeat the very best players.

Action Jackson
06-24-2009, 10:15 PM
Fognini isn't rated, so can he be overrated.

MsTree
06-24-2009, 10:20 PM
People in glass houses shouldn't throw stones :lol:

Doggy
06-25-2009, 06:49 AM
Underrated or 'underrented' ? :)
Can't blame the haters right now, dude is #7 but losing to all sorts of guys outside the top50. He should get back in form after the grass season though.

I would purchase him for sure. :lick:

Arkulari
06-25-2009, 07:22 AM

in my case, I don't mind positive h2h against Roger, otherwise I wouldn't like Rafa ;)

Simon doesn't really have weapons, all he does is push and he had a good run last year but lacks a lot of consistency, specially on Slams :shrug:

IMO, Simon is totally overrated like almost all French players (with the exception of Tsonga whom at least have a GS final and a Masters 1000 on his career ;) )

green25814
06-25-2009, 04:33 PM
Simug still underrented.

He's the dark horse creeping through the draw.

VolandriFan
06-25-2009, 04:43 PM

While I agree Gilles is far from overrated, Fabio hardly receives any attention whatsoever - bar the odd eyebrow comment.

samanosuke
06-25-2009, 04:57 PM
simon is overrated not underrated