goooooooooooooooooooooooo Andy:banana::scared:K.is good

:secret: nice title;) :p :hug:

Getta
06-19-2009, 02:04 PM
Andy's quarter:

Andy Murray GBR (3) v Robert Kendrick USA
Riccardo Ghedin ITA v Ernests Gulbis LAT
Taylor Dent USA v Daniel Gimeno-Traver ESP
Brian Dabul ARG v Viktor Troicki SRB (30)

Stanislas Wawrinka SUI (19) v Eduardo Schwank ARG
Pablo Andujar ESP v Martin Vassallo Arguello ARG
Christophe Rochus BEL v Pablo Cuevas URU
Jesse Levine USA v Marat Safin RUS (14)

Fernando Gonzalez CHI (10) v Teimuraz Gabashvili RUS
Oscar Hernandez ESP v Leonardo Mayer ARG
Juan Carlos Ferrero ESP v Mikhail Youzhny RUS
Fabrice Santoro FRA v Nicolas Kiefer GER (33)

Victor Hanescu ROU (31) v Ivan Navarro ESP
Nicolas Devilder FRA v Nicolas Lapentti ECU
Thiago Alves BRA v Andrei Pavel ROU
Bobby Reynolds USA v Gilles Simon FRA (8)

-------------------------------------------------------

He has Juan Martin Del Potro as a semi final opponent.

Clydey
06-19-2009, 05:48 PM
Since no one seems to take any notice of the video clip thread, I'll post the compilation I made in here. :(

hvsX37XQE7c

Andi-M
06-19-2009, 08:22 PM
Good luck Murray, Wimbledon 2009 is your time to shine :kiss:

Betty
06-20-2009, 12:18 PM
james :kiss: thk but i cant see it now

btw also u:eek::sad:where is the Sco flag:ras:;

rachel hope u'll be here for muzza match:p so i could read abt his play when i'll be ard

amdany
06-20-2009, 05:43 PM
thanks for the vid!
and good luck Andy!!

MsTree
06-20-2009, 07:53 PM
No one seems to go in the video thread :sad:

I'm watching old videos of Andy at Wimbledon 2006 to get me in the mood :)
It's working nicely :D Cmon Andy this title is yours for the taking :)

cath777
06-21-2009, 01:01 AM
I wonder how often the BBC will repeat clips of the Murray Gasquet match from last year during their coverage this year ;)

Good luck to Andy. I'm expecting/hoping him to make it to the finals :yeah:

Andi-M
06-21-2009, 10:41 PM
GM is making me vomit with all this fed, murray talk....Im not looking past Kendrick R1.
Good luck Muzzah!!!!!

hcfoo
06-21-2009, 10:53 PM
Good luck Andy! I think Murray-mania will continue to live at Wimbledon for the next 2 weeks.

By the way, anyone interested to win a tennis ball signed by Andy for Malaria No More UK can go to: http://tinyurl.com/ktszbg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Qg6J04XZhR4/Sj5vougst5I/AAAAAAAAHoc/zvlPr15_Etc/s400/Tennis+Ball+signed+by+Andy+Murray+2.jpg

Getta
06-22-2009, 08:46 PM
Tuesday OoP

CENTRE COURT

Match Start at 13:00
Venus Williams (USA)[3] v. Stefanie Voegele (SUI)

followed by
Jeremy Chardy (FRA) v. Andy Roddick (USA)[6]

followed by
Andy Murray (GBR)[3] v. Robert Kendrick (USA)

Turquoise
06-23-2009, 08:20 AM
Good luck Andy!

Andi-M
06-23-2009, 03:48 PM
Hurry up Roddick!

Andi-M
06-23-2009, 04:06 PM
Andy looks so handsome :)

Andi-M
06-23-2009, 04:19 PM
Andy leads 2-1 in 1st with a break.

amdany
06-23-2009, 07:37 PM
He won in 4 sets but it was a tough one...
"It was a tough match and I expected a difficult match. He played very agressive and I didn't return as well as I'd have liked but I was happy to return as well as I did. He doesn't give you a whole lot of rhythm. I didn't hit my ground strokes the way I'd have liked in the first couple of sets but it got better. It's good to have tough matches early in the tournament."

Corey Feldman
06-23-2009, 08:40 PM
1 down ;)

Betty
06-23-2009, 09:15 PM
well done:banana:

:scared:

decrepitude
06-23-2009, 11:05 PM
Not his best tennis, but he can save that for later matches. . .;)

I thought it was a very entertaining match and Kendrick played out of his skin - yet I never felt as though Andy was going to lose.

Getta
06-24-2009, 07:01 PM
Thursday OoP

CENTRE COURT

Juan Martin Del Potro (ARG)[5] v. Lleyton Hewitt (AUS)

followed by
Caroline Wozniacki (DEN)[9] v. Maria Kirilenko (RUS)

followed by
Andy Murray (GBR)[3] v. Ernests Gulbis (LAT)

Betty
06-24-2009, 08:20 PM
gulbis:scared:

Andi-M
06-24-2009, 08:23 PM
gulbis:scared:

After Queens i would have been confident against Gulbis, but after yesterday I too am a little :scared:

Goldenoldie
06-25-2009, 10:21 AM
Could be a tough one today, but I hope not. Top gear, please Andy

scoobs
06-25-2009, 04:48 PM
2-2 first set.

Murray not looking bqd out here so far.

scoobs
06-25-2009, 04:51 PM
Murray breaks for *3-2 :)

loose game from Gulbis really

scoobs
06-25-2009, 04:54 PM
muzza kicking some ass here

scoobs
06-25-2009, 04:57 PM
Murray *5-2 and he's playing with a lot of variety, but Gulbis is flattering him a bit,.

scoobs
06-25-2009, 04:59 PM
Muzza on fire.

6-2

scoobs
06-25-2009, 05:11 PM
6-2 1-2 and things are looking good so far.

amdany
06-25-2009, 06:08 PM
he really played well today :dance:

scoobs
06-25-2009, 06:34 PM
Excellent match from Andy, especially behind his serve.

Betty
06-25-2009, 08:05 PM
good to know:D

Andi-M
06-26-2009, 12:04 AM
Really really good so pleased with Andy :D
....Troiki next shouldnt pose too many problems I hope. Cant wait for Saturday.

Turquoise
06-26-2009, 04:25 AM
Stellar performance by Andy :worship: Stress-free for me as a fan, and I'm not sure if the crowd knew how much Andymonium they should raise, kind of like: Andy, we're here! :wavey: If you need some moral support, or a hug, or anything, just give us a shout, we'll be happy to oblige... :lol:

Joking aside, he'll be drawing more on that vital crowd support from now on. Amused that Andy did not take one of his famous naps mid-match this time; really nice to see him focused on each point, each game, each match. Good luck Andy!

Getta
06-26-2009, 01:17 PM
http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/interviews/2009-06-25/200906251245955585109.html

A Murray - 25 June 2009

Q. How many marks out of 10 would you give that one?

ANDY MURRAY: Well, it was very good. I don't want to give myself marks. I thought I played well. Served really good for the whole match. Apart from the very first game where he had a couple of chances on my serve, you know, I didn't give him another breakpoint.

You know, I used my variety very well. Yeah, it was much, much better than the first match.

Q. Anything at all that you came off the court wishing you had done any better? It seemed almost perfect.

ANDY MURRAY: No, I mean, you can always do things better. But, you know, it's tough against a guy like him. He's got a huge serve. You know, and he went through a patch in the second set where he made like nine, ten first serves in a row. It can be tough to break someone like that.

But I stayed focused on my own serve. Didn't give him any opportunities. Yeah, it was very solid.

Q. Have you ever made less than five unforced errors in a three‑set match?

ANDY MURRAY: No idea. I don't really look at the stats that much.

Q. Quite impressive, isn't it? Shows how together you were.

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, well, you know, I didn't make ‑‑ yeah, I didn't make many mistakes from the ground. You know, when I did get myself into a point on his service game I made him work very hard for, you know, the points. You know, hit some good passing shots.

And, uhm, yeah, finished points when I was inside the court. I finished points off really well. Didn't make any basic errors, so it was very good.

Q. How much of a surprise was it to get a letter from the queen?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, it's surprising. I mean, you don't get that every day. So, yeah. Yeah, it was surprising. I don't know how surprising it was, but it was surprising.

Q. What did it say?

ANDY MURRAY: Just well done for winning at Queen's and good luck here was the gist of it.

Q. Have you had any other interesting letters from people that you didn't expect?

ANDY MURRAY: No. I mean, I don't read that much of the stuff during Wimbledon. But that one, someone from the All England Club came and gave it to me at the end of one of my practices. So obviously I was going to open it. He told me who it was from, and then I...

Q. I don't know if you heard, but had you a proposal of marriage at some stage during that match. Are you comfortable with receiving that sort of attention?

ANDY MURRAY: Uhm, well, I mean, I guess each time you play on Centre Court, I mean, everyone ‑‑ a lot of people shout out different things to, I guess, I don't know, make the crowd laugh. I don't know what it's for.

But, uhm, just try and block it out when you're playing. I mean, yeah, I don't really know what to say. I mean, it's happened a couple of times at Wimbledon, but haven't accepted any yet.

Q. You said at the end of last year you had two ambitions. One was to win Wimbledon and the other was to pass your driving test. Have you had any time to having any driving lessons, and have you taken your test yet?

ANDY MURRAY: No. I'm going to try to do it after Wimbledon. Obviously I've been very busy this year. You know, it's a relatively stressful thing to do at the end of a long training day, to take driving lessons, especially with the traffic and stuff in London.

So I haven't had time to do it yet, but maybe after Wimbledon.

Q. The day before yesterday you talked about the roof. Did you notice the roof again? Did it trouble you at all?

ANDY MURRAY: I mean, it was better today because of the clouds. You don't see it quite as much. You know, when I came off court, you know, my first match, uhm, the guys that were sitting in my box were saying it was really, really tough for them to see. The sun was ‑‑ I mean, the sun's always bright, but it seemed ‑‑ they said it was really difficult for them to see. There was a glare.

You know, today was better because of the clouds. But it just comes over a different angle, you know, the shadow on the court. But it was better today.

Q. Can you tell us a little bit about the forfeits you've been handing down to members of your coaching team?

ANDY MURRAY: No, I don't hand them down to anyone. We play football, and whoever loses the game has to do whatever the forfeit is. But one of the parts of the forfeit is that when you lose, you know ‑‑ my fitness trainer was walking around with a cricket helmet on yesterday.

If someone asked you what it's for, you're not allowed to tell them that you've lost a bet. You just have to say that you like it and whatnot.

Yeah, I mean, we play for different stuff every week. But the locker room attendant has given us some cricket pads and cricket helmet, cricket bat, so it's kind of Ashes‑themed forfeits.

Q. Do you have any thoughts about the next round?

ANDY MURRAY: I've never played Gimeno before, but we ‑‑ I used to see him a lot in the Spanish futures when I was training over in Spain. I think he practiced in Barcelona when I was over there. So I know him relatively well. We never played on the tour before.

And Troicki, you know, both guys play from the baseline. Troicki's got a better serve than Gimeno. Yeah, I mean, I don't know how well either of them play on grass because I haven't seen them the last couple years here or at Queen's.

Q. Just you left now representing us. Poor nation. It was bound to be most possibly you in the end anyway going the farthest. Does that sadden you in a way?

ANDY MURRAY: I mean, I'm a fan of tennis, so I'd obviously love it if, you know, we were better in this country. You know, it's a tough thing to sort of answer to because, you know, we've kind of been in the same situation for quite a long time.

You know, the women are definitely doing better in terms of their ranking and whatnot. But, you know, I think it's important that everyone kind of understands that this is sort of where we're at. You know, we can't sort of just, you know, go along sort of accepting the results that we've had.

It needs to ‑‑ you know, people who are in charge and are running things need to come out and I think say, you know, This isn't acceptable. It's not good enough, and this is what we're trying to do to get better.

But, yeah, like I said, I'd rather there was more British players still left in the tournament.

Q. How important are the forfeits and things like that in a big pressure tournament to have a bit of relief?

ANDY MURRAY: No, the thing that's important at these tournaments is to do what you do every other week of the year, not to just change things because it's Wimbledon. You know, the pressures and whatnot are a little bit different.

So, you know, you just try and act like you do every other week. We do that when I'm playing in Doha or, you know, whenever. That's just something we do. We play football to warm up. Going to do the same thing here. You know, we'll do forfeits, you know, and joke around and have fun like we always do.

'Cause I think when you start changing things is when, you know, you start to worry about everything that's sort of going on around you. If you just act normal, I think you deal with things better.

Q. The third match of the day seems to be your regular slot now. Are you happy with that? It does mean that you can never be quite sure what time you're going on?

ANDY MURRAY: I'm not really bothered. I mean, I quite like playing late in the day. You know, it's always gonna be good crowds the later you play. Yeah, doesn't bother me at all. I don't mind.

Q. What was the atmosphere like out there with the crowd?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, it was very good. I mean, I think, you know, when the big points and, you know, the big ‑‑ well, the big stages of the match, like the end of the second set the crowd got right behind me.

When I had breakpoints, you know, they got noisier. A lot of my service games were quite comfortable and a lot of very short points. So, you know, I guess it would have been tough, you know, to get really, really into the match. There wasn't that many long rallies.

But, you know, when I needed the support, it was always there.

Q. There may not be many other British tennis players for you to have a camaraderie with here. Lleyton Hewitt has been talking about how the Australian sportsmen talk to one another. Do you have communication with other British sports players?

ANDY MURRAY: Tennis players or just sport in general?

Q. Sport in general.

ANDY MURRAY: Not really. I mean, the thing that I guess is tough with tennis, you know, for me when I have a lot of my off time, I go over to the States. You know, I follow, you know, British sport a lot.

But we do so much traveling, I find that quite tough to sort of keep in touch, regardless of whether it's sports people or not, but even friends from back home.

You know, when Tim and Greg were around, you know, I'd go out for dinner with Tim a lot when we were at the same tournaments and practice together. But, yeah, that's why I like having a few guys to travel with me each week because, you know, tennis can get a little bit lonely sometimes.

Q. For the consistency of the performance throughout, have you ever played a better match here, do you think?

ANDY MURRAY: Uhm, I mean, you never know. I mean, because there wasn't that many moments in the match where, you know, I was under a lot of pressure. You know, it's easy to see that, you know, I played great and whatnot, which I felt like I did.

But, you know, there's times like when I played Stepanek the first year I played here, I won in three straight sets. You know, that was a great match. You know, last year I played, you know, some tough matches, as well, where I felt like I dealt with the tight situations well.

Uhm, I don't know. It was a different match to a lot of the ones that I played. You know, he had very few chances, so there wasn't that much sort of nerves and huge points.

Q. Just on the forfeits, they're very funny. But who chooses them? Because you never seem to lose. Is it you who sort of says you have to do this or whatever?

ANDY MURRAY: No. Before the start of each game, we decide what the forfeit's gonna be. And then, yeah, I'm better than them, so I don't lose as much (smiling).

Q. They haven't thought about maybe changing the game?

ANDY MURRAY: Well, we played me and Miles get four lives; Miles and Jez get six lives. Me and Miles are better than them. We have less lives to try to even it up.

When we play for small forfeits I lose the games more, because they don't concentrate as much. It doesn't bother me like when we play for push‑ups and you have to kiss the other guy's toes. Like I'll lose them.

But if it's stuff like a cricket bat or you have to get lunch for everyone and stuff, I concentrate a bit harder.

Andi-M
06-26-2009, 08:13 PM
Prime time slot again tommorow, good luck Andy xxxx

Getta
06-26-2009, 08:37 PM
Saturday OoP

CENTRE COURT

Venus Williams (USA)[3] v. Carla Suarez Navarro (ESP)

followed by
Jurgen Melzer (AUT)[26] v. Andy Roddick (USA)[6]

followed by
Andy Murray (GBR)[3] v. Viktor Troicki (SRB)[30]

amdany
06-27-2009, 06:28 PM
so far, so good :dance:

edit: :banana: he won, what a great match again , he had it under control from the beginning to the end :yeah:

Andi-M
06-27-2009, 07:02 PM
Beautiful tennis from andy. He is looking superb.

Betty
06-27-2009, 08:41 PM
pity i cant watch hiim but glad of his performance:D

Drusilla
06-27-2009, 09:25 PM
So far so good.

That match was fairly flawless...save the dreaded second serve...nice spin but still too slow.

He is still playing better than Djoko tho and on a par with Fed.

The whole key is that first serve %

Getta
06-27-2009, 10:00 PM
http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/interviews/2009-06-27/200906271246134060843.html

A Murray - 27 June 2009

Q. How polished a performance do you think that was?

ANDY MURRAY: It was good. I didn't hit the ball that clean at the start. It was pretty windy. The court was a little bit damp. Then I started to serve better. It was very different conditions than the first couple of matches. It was a lot slower.

And, you know, once I got into the match I felt much more comfortable. I think he maybe had one breakpoint in the match on my serve, so it was very solid.

Q. Stanislas Wawrinka told us you're quite good friends. Can you talk a little bit about your relationship with him.

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, we get on well. I practice with him a lot, you know, before tournaments. I speak to him in the locker room quite a lot.

I mean, we don't go out for dinner with each other and stuff. But, no, I get on well with him. He's a very nice guy.

Q. How would you sum up your first week here? Has it gone even better than you might have expected?

ANDY MURRAY: Well, I mean, all I wanted to do is win the matches. I didn't care how badly or how well I played. You know, I was very happy I won the three matches. You know, wish or hope that I can keep it going next week 'cause, you know, my performances were pretty solid.

Q. Is it special having a guy like Chris Hoy in the Royal Box watching you?

ANDY MURRAY: I met him afterwards. You know, which was nice. Yeah, I mean, there's a lot of great sportsmen and women, you know, watching today. You know, to get the chance to sort of play in front of them is always nice.

Yeah, got the chance to meet him afterwards. And, you know, obviously a fellow Scot. He's a very, very successful guy. I didn't really know whether to call him sir and stuff. I didn't know how that works. I think I called him Chris, but anyway.

Q. Was he complimentary afterwards?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, no, just congratulated me on my win. I said, Thanks for the support. Asked him what he was up to. You know, that was it. I was in a bit of a rush to sort of get, you know, warmed down and whatnot. I didn't speak to him for that long.

But, yeah, just congratulated me on the way I played and wished me luck for the rest of the tournament.

Q. There was a suggestion that your mum left halfway through the game after a disagreement with somebody in the crowd. Have you spoken to her? Can you shed any light on that?

ANDY MURRAY: I would have thought if my mum left she probably went to watch my brother. I can't imagine she would have left for any other reason. Typical, people trying to make stories out of stuff. She went to watch my brother to show that, you know, it's not just about me, I guess. So would have been nothing to do with her arguing with anyone. My mum doesn't do that.

Q. It goes up a whole level obviously next week. Do you feel you've been stretched and tested to the right extent?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, well, I mean, the first match was tough. I had some difficult moments and managed to come through them. But, yeah, the matches get tougher. You know, I've served very well so far. You know, against tougher opposition, that's going to be even more important.

No, I think that, you know, I'm able to raise my game to the quality of the opponent and the sort of situation. You know, I'll try and do that as best as I can on Monday.

Q. Were you worried it was starting to rain at the end?

ANDY MURRAY: I obviously wanted to finish the match as quickly as possible. It would have been a nice bit of history, I guess, the first match to play under the roof. You know, I wasn't that worried by it. I enjoy playing indoors.

But, yeah, when it's sort of right at the end of the match, once it started to come down, you know, a little bit heavier, it was sort of 5‑3 in the third set. So, you know, obviously wanted to finish it before the rain came.

Q. We expected you to go second on court. You were on third. Did you want third?

ANDY MURRAY: I was not really bothered. It doesn't make a huge difference. You know, the shadow on the court, you know, if the sun's out, you know, is difficult around 4:00, 5:00. Whether you're playing second or third, it's going to be difficult.

But doesn't bother me what time I play.

Q. I think there were 24 Olympic champions there today. Is that a humbling experience, and did you get to meet any of the others afterwards?

ANDY MURRAY: No, just Chris Hoy. No, I saw at the end, you know, there was ‑‑ I saw Kelly Holmes, Matthew Pinsent, and Jonathan Edwards there.

No, like I said earlier, it was great to get the chance to sort of play in front of ‑‑ well, that's pretty much the greatest athletes that the UK have had over the sort of last 15, 20 years. So, yeah, it was nice to get that opportunity.

Q. Can you talk about Stan's game on Monday, what you're going to be looking out for.

ANDY MURRAY: Well, he's very solid all‑court player. You know, he's got a solid serve. He moves well, is good off the baseline. He doesn't come to the net too much. But when he does, I mean, he won the Olympic gold doubles, so he can obviously volley reasonably well.

He does everything good. He doesn't have one shot in particular that's, you know, a huge weakness. I'm going to have to play a tough match to beat him.

Q. You're playing so well. There's going to be a huge ramping up of expectations next week. Do you have a strategy for dealing with that, you and your team?

ANDY MURRAY: No, 'cause, I mean, the expectation for me is I'm gonna try my best to win the tournament. But it's the people that sort of are in the media, are in the press, and the people that read it are the ones that, you know, see the expectation getting bigger or greater or, you know, how my performances have been going, whatnot.

You know, I spend time with, you know, my team to get me ready for all of the matches, and I try and do the same routine that I do for, you know, every match, and don't, just because it's Wimbledon, try and do anything differently or whatever.

It's just, you know, one of those things you have to get used to dealing with. Hasn't troubled me this week. I'd be very surprised if it did next week.

Q. Do you feel different this year in terms of how the first week has gone?

ANDY MURRAY: Uhm, well, I mean, I was slightly more comfortable this year than last year. But, you know, I think I only dropped one set in the first week last year, as well. I mean, I don't mind whether ‑‑ you know, at the US Open I came through some very difficult matches early in the tournament, and I managed to get to the final there.

It's just about winning the matches. I don't feel any different to how I did, you know, at this stage last year. You just try and win a match every couple of days, and that's, you know, really the goal. I don't think anything different.

Q. You've been responsible for the most addictive game during Wimbledon 2009, matching players with different foods. You've had Lleyton Chewit, Vania King Size Mars Bar, but has anyone come up with a name for you this year?

ANDY MURRAY: Well, it's sort of snacks, so it's quite difficult. I guess there's some pretty obvious ones, which I don't really need to share. It's pretty obvious what they are.

No, there's not really been any good ones or ones that have sort of passed.

Q. What's your favorite one?

ANDY MURRAY: It wasn't really one of the best ones, but just made me laugh. It was Juan Martin Del Potro Popcorn. It doesn't really work that well, but I just liked that one.

Q. What's your favorite one for your name?

ANDY MURRAY: We haven't really had any. I mean, there's none that have really passed, like I said. I mean, Murray Mints was the only one that could kind of work, but it's so old.

Q. Your game sometimes involves covering a lot of the court. How different do you find that on grass compared with clay or hard? And do you like it better?

ANDY MURRAY: Well, the thing is, the points are shorter on the grass, so it doesn't really matter that much. I guess on the clay it takes a little bit more out of you physically. But on the grass, you know, you can play one really long point and you can be three aces in a row; whereas on clay, you can play one really long point followed by two or three more.

On the grass, it's not really ‑‑ doesn't really make a huge, huge difference 'cause there's not really sort of three, four, five long points in a row.

Q. You state really clearly this year you want to win the tournament. Is this also kind of a strategy? You could also keep the ball low and say, I don't want to make the pressure bigger by stating that you want to win the tournament. You're making the pressure even bigger. This is also a strategy?

ANDY MURRAY: No. I said at every tournament I play I go in with the mentality that I'm gonna win the tournament. I think if you don't, then when you get into a winning position, you know, you get nervous or you're not sort of expecting it. You know, sometimes that can, I don't know, get to you mentally.

I think if you go into every match believing you can win and giving it your best shot, then, you know, you're not gonna be totally shocked if you get to that position where you're serving for the match or whatever.

But I don't feel like I put any extra pressure on myself for this tournament than any other one.

Q. You obviously do play up to the last ball. Is there any point at which you know you've won or lost a match?

ANDY MURRAY: If you're serving and you got, you know, three match points, especially on sort of a grass court, you feel very confident you're going to close out of match.

But when you go a couple of sets and a break up, you can think to yourself maybe you're gonna sort of try some things out. You know, but you never ‑‑ I saw a little bit of Federer's match yesterday. You know, he's two sets to love up and 4‑Love up, if you try a few things or lose your concentration or think you finished the match, the guys are so good now, you try not to let them back in. So you just try and stay as focused as possible.

Q. Do you know yet how you'll be spending tomorrow?

ANDY MURRAY: Same as every other day off. I'll come and practice around 12:00, 12:30 for an hour, hour and a half, and then see my physio, have an ice bath, and just get some food down me, recover as best as possible to get ready for Monday.

Q. You said you watched some of Roger's match yesterday. How closely do you pay attention to the others in the draw, your rivals in this kind of championship?

ANDY MURRAY: I don't follow it that closely, you know what's going on in the draw, you know, who's playing who. But you just try and focus on your own matches. If I'm watching the TV, you know, and Federer's playing or Hewitt or whoever it is, you know, I'll watch the match, like pretty much every other player in the locker room does.

But, you know, you try and stay as focused on your own game as possible.

Q. You told us before the tournament started that you got a few DVDs in to sort of relax in front of. Can you give us a clue of what you've been watching in your off time?

ANDY MURRAY: I haven't watched any DVDs. I've been watching a little bit of Big Brother, sadly, but kind of losing interest in that by the day.

But because ‑‑ I mean, I'm not going to be back ‑‑ it's 9:00. I'm not going to be back until 10:15, 10:30. I'll watch a little bit of the tennis highlights and then go on to bed. So I'll be finishing late, unfortunately.

Q. Are you a rugby fan? Will you be watching a rerun of the Lions at all?

ANDY MURRAY: I watched a little bit in the locker room. I'm not a huge rugby fan. I don't really understand the rules that well. But I saw, was watching it in the locker room beforehand. Tim was actually in there. James Blake and Mardy Fish were in there telling us that American football was a much better version.

But, yeah, it was a bit disappointing the way it ended.

Q. Was that Tim Henman you're talking about?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah.

Q. Did you invite him in, or what was he doing there?

ANDY MURRAY: He's allowed in on his own right into the locker room. And, no, he was just there. He was doing my match. So it was just before, 45 minutes, an hour or so before I went on. He knows a lot of guys from when he played. I guess it's just normal that he went in to probably say hi to a few of them and watch the rugby on the TV.

Q. Tim said on the Jonathan Ross show that it's definitely still Henman Hill. Is that something you'd agree with?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah. I'm not really that fussed with what it's called. Tim obviously did great here for seven, eight years in a row. So, yeah, it deserves to be called Henman Hill. I'm sure it will be that for a long time.

Q. When you practice with someone regularly, as you do with Stan, does it change your approach to a match? Does it make it easier or harder because you're so familiar with each other's game?

ANDY MURRAY: It doesn't change anything for me. I try ‑‑ I think when you go on the court you're there to compete, regardless of whether you're friends or not. Doesn't change really the way you go into the match.

You kind of know each other's games a little bit better than, you know, you might know some of the others that you don't hit with and you don't see around that much.

But won't make a difference on Monday, I don't think.

Q. With everybody else talking about it, do you ever at any moment find yourself drifting towards thinking about Federer versus Murray next Sunday?

ANDY MURRAY: No. I mean, I'd obviously love to get to the final. But, you know, still a lot of tennis to be played. Like I say, you think about it more three, four months before the tournament starts. When it comes, it's not what I'm thinking about. I'll be concentrating on Stan and, you know, trying to get through the next match.

Getta
06-28-2009, 01:16 PM
Monday OoP

CENTRE COURT

Robin Soderling (SWE)[13] v. Roger Federer (SUI)[2]

followed by
Dinara Safina (RUS)[1] v. Amelie Mauresmo (FRA)[17]

followed by
Andy Murray (GBR)[3] v. Stanislas Wawrinka (SUI)[19]

cath777
06-28-2009, 02:28 PM
Andy was in very impressive form yesterday. Hoping to see it continue for another week :yeah:

Andi-M
06-28-2009, 11:15 PM
Good luck Vs Stan Andy xxx

scoobs
06-29-2009, 10:48 AM
Stan is the toughest test so far but on a fast court, one Andy should be able to navigate.

Wyna
06-29-2009, 11:01 AM
Good luck to Andy. I hope he can continue his good performance!

Andi-M
06-29-2009, 06:14 PM
Murray really struggling 1-5 down in 1st set

Andi-M
06-29-2009, 06:52 PM
passive passive passive

scoobs
06-29-2009, 07:13 PM
Horror story first set but he got his groove back in the second.

1 set all.

Andi-M
06-29-2009, 07:51 PM
Doing well, amazing will from Murray. Serve still questionnable though. Wawa definately dropped level though

Andi-M
06-29-2009, 07:56 PM
Cmoonnn Muzza

Andi-M
06-29-2009, 08:57 PM
Into a 5th :scared:

Wyna
06-29-2009, 08:57 PM
5th set :scared: this match is killing me...

scoobs
06-29-2009, 09:59 PM
Looks like it nearly killed Andy too...

He won through 26 63 63 57 63

I'm not entirely sure how.

Corey Feldman
06-29-2009, 10:00 PM
Fed at RG and that match here is slowly killing me

MurrayMo
06-29-2009, 10:23 PM
Well I don't think I have any fingernails left after that! :lol:
Seriously,my nerves were completely on edge towards the end.I don't know how Andy managed to hold himself together,but I'm so glad he did! :worship:

The Murray marches on.

Good luck to him for wednesday against Ferrero.

Corey Feldman
06-29-2009, 10:25 PM
cant believe only Ferrero, Hewitt or Roddick stand between a British Wimbledon finalist :lol: .. our Andy

MurrayMo
06-29-2009, 10:33 PM
Hopefully the fact Andy beat Ferrero on grass at Queens only just 3 weeks ago will help him,it was quite convincing then... 6-2 6-4.

Even though this will be best of 5 I still think Andy will have enough in him to do it.Maybe in 4 sets? :)

scoobs
06-29-2009, 10:50 PM
cant believe only Ferrero, Hewitt or Roddick stand between a British Wimbledon finalist :lol: .. our Andy
Yeah well Stan wasn't supposed to be a big deal and look at how that turned out.

No complacency for me.

Andi-M
06-29-2009, 11:07 PM
Andy :inlove: Couldnt eat my dinner cos i was soo nervous!!
Well done a W is a W, and he played well on the big points in the 5th that is what matters. Rest up tommorow andy, although some serving pracitice woudnt go a miss....

06-30-2009, 05:29 AM
Well Andy doesn't need any more Matches like that one :tape: :ignore: :scared:

Getta
06-30-2009, 06:43 AM
http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/interviews/2009-06-29/200906291246236445305.html

A Murray - 29 June 2009

Q. What are your emotions right now?

ANDY MURRAY: Uhm, well, obviously great to come through. Haven't thought about the match a whole lot. We made sure, you know, I warmed down properly, saw the physio and got as much food in me as possible.
And then, you know, organizing what I'm going to do tomorrow to, you know, make sure I recover as best as I can before the next round.

Q. Must give you a lot of confidence to have won such a match. Can you actually win Wimbledon? Does that actually come into your mind after winning a match like that?

ANDY MURRAY: No, I mean, I believe I can win Wimbledon. That's not changed since the first match. But, like I said, I'm gonna have to play great tennis to do it. Had to play some great tennis tonight, you know, to come back, because Stan was playing some unbelievable tennis at the start.
You know, the conditions with the roof are very different to, you know, playing with it open.

Q. In what way are they different?

ANDY MURRAY: It's very, very heavy and very humid. Sweating so much. I know it was hot outside today, but sweating a lot. And like from the start I noticed it very early.
Both of us were trying to get, well, white towels from the locker room because, you know, your hands were drenched. When I finished, it was like, you know, I'd been in a bath. It was very, very, very humid.
So it kind of slowed it down a lot, and I struggled to serve because it wasn't coming off the strings that quickly.

Q. Did the court play differently?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, because of that, you know, it's heavier. There was a lot more rallies in that match. I got very few free points from my serve when it did go in. Uhm, you know, can you really swing very hard at the ball and it can, you know, go in the net or it doesn't really go anywhere. It's very different.

Q. Were you surprised that you started the match under the roof, or did they consult with you?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, I was surprised because we'd asked, When are you gonna let us know if we're gonna play under the roof or not? They said they would let us know as soon as the match was finished. And then, you know, it's quite tough as well to judge.

It takes, I think, like 30 minutes to close the roof sorry, to open the roof, 20, 30 minutes to open it. To get the warmups and stuff right beforehand, you know, it was dry. We were warming up outside. It was dry. Was expecting to play without the roof, and then obviously it came.
I had never played, obviously, a grass court match, you know, indoors before, and it made a difference.

Q. Did you have a problem with the lights when the sunlight was still there as well?

ANDY MURRAY: No, I was asking the umpire, because I thought that they turned the lights up like from when we were warming up. The first couple of points, it seemed very bright in my first service game. I just asked them if they had. He said they hadn't changed the lighting.

Yeah, it did seem pretty bright at the start. You know, obviously I was very happy to have finished.

Q. Is it fair to say then you would much rather play without the roof than with it closed?

ANDY MURRAY: Uhm, I like playing indoors. But it's just when you haven't practiced or ever played a match under a roof on grass, you don't know what to expect. So now going in the next match, you know, I'll know what to expect if the roof comes on.

But I still thought that for, you know, two and a half sets of the match I played great tennis. It's just it took me a little while to get used to it.

Q. Did you think overall the conditions helped your game or hindered it?

ANDY MURRAY: Like I say, I don't know. It's just it took a while to get used to. Like I say, I played some great stuff tonight, and Stan played some great tennis as well. The only thing that I felt that was harder was to serve. I didn't think that it was coming off the strings that quickly on the serve because of the humidity and it slowed the ball down.

Q. How long was it actually before the start of the match that you were actually told definitely you would be playing under the roof?

ANDY MURRAY: Well, we were told, and then we left to go on the court straightaway. It was like, you know, the match before us finished, and then they said, you know, You're on now.

So it's just tough as a player when you're kind of warming up, getting ready for the match outside and it's dry, and then obviously you get told you're playing under the roof.

I think the decision, in my opinion, should be made sort of before that match is finished so they can let the players know in a decent amount of time what conditions they're going to be playing under.

Because I think in very few sports would coaches and teams be particularly happy if they were told you know, they don't know exactly what time they're going to kick off, what time they're going to start, or what the conditions are going to be like when they go out there.

Q. Would you put your performance in that first set down to the conditions?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, I didn't start off particularly well, and he hit the ball great. You know, he hit some huge winners, made very few mistakes, and he served a lot better than me.

Yeah, I knew I had to change something in the second set, and I started to play more aggressive. I came to the net more as the match went on. Played closer up to the baseline. Whereas at the start, I was letting him dictate all of the points.

Q. What's the game plan for tomorrow?

ANDY MURRAY: I'll sleep late. I'll practice around 2:00. Go have an ice bath, massage, see the physio, you know, for an hour and a half, make sure I eat three or four very big meals, get as much food in me as possible, and that should be enough.

Q. Can it be an advantage for you in the next rounds that you will have played under the roof and your opponents with not have?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, I think so. Because, like I said, for me, when you haven't experienced something before, it's tough to kind of just walk out there and, you know, know how the court's gonna play and stuff.
Now I know how I'll have to change my game if I do play under the roof, and I'll, you know, know the way that the court plays. In my opinion, there's quite a big difference.

Q. How concerned were you to receive the letter talking about ball boys being sent home because of flu like symptoms?

ANDY MURRAY: Ball boys?

Q. Ball boys and ball girls.

ANDY MURRAY: I didn't get a letter. They normally post the letter into your lockers. I haven't checked.

Q. Did you feel something of the character of the tournament changed a little bit tonight in terms of the atmosphere? It's a departure, the fact we're playing 20 till 11:00 at night. But the atmosphere was more boisterous maybe than it has been before because of the roof and the lights.

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, playing indoors always makes a difference to the atmosphere, obviously to the way the court plays. And when there is noise, it doesn't get lost anywhere.

At the end, that was probably the noisiest crowd I played in front of. You know, maybe in my match last year against Gasquet, if the roof were on it would have been similar. But it definitely sounds and feels much louder with the roof.

Q. It seemed deafening for us watching it. Was it a help or hindrance, all that extra noise?

ANDY MURRAY: Support is great. If it's loud, then it's better. It means the people are more behind you. It definitely didn't hinder my performance in any way at all.

Q. You seemed to be encouraging the crowd.

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah. I think that's something that I've always done when I played on big courts. You know, especially, well, at Wimbledon and Davis Cup, when the whole crowd's four for you, you can get them going.

When the big points come, especially in long matches when you need a lift sometimes, you need to get the crowd into it. I managed to do that well.

Q. Would you like to see night sessions here one day in the future?

ANDY MURRAY: No. When I spoke to Ian Ritchie, we discussed and thought that Wimbledon, you know, is a daytime tournament. You know, it's very good to have the roof so that I could finish the match this evening and I'm not having to come back tomorrow and play, but you can't really do it, I don't think, for the outside courts and stuff. They can't play because of the dew, and they don't have floodlights.

No, I quite like it being a day event. The advantage of having a roof is if there is one match that is behind schedule, you can finish them.

Q. How would you assess the quarterfinal challenge you have? Will the Queen's result have any bearing on it?

ANDY MURRAY: Well, I played very well at Queen's. The courts here are a little bit different. Ferrero is a very tough player. He plays well on any surface. Former world No. 1.

Every match, regardless of who you're playing against, especially in an individual sport, anything can happen on the day. Like I say, I played great at Queen's. If I play poorly, there's a good chance I'll lose against him.
But I'll try my best to play well. If I do that, I've got a chance of winning.

Q. Can it be an advantage to have a five setter at this stage, or is it a hindrance in terms of sapping your energy?

ANDY MURRAY: It just depends on how you recover. If you recover fine, it's a good thing to play a long match and know that you've got four hours of tennis in you.

On grass, you very rarely play matches that are that long. So if I recover fine, then it's a positive.

Betty
06-30-2009, 08:34 AM
yesssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

:D:

scoobs
06-30-2009, 12:42 PM
the big question will be just how well he can shake that match off and recharge the batteries for Ferrero.

He didn't do so well at that last year vs Rafa, but he did that pretty well at the US Open following the 5 setter vs Melzer.

Fingers crossed.

Wyna
06-30-2009, 01:46 PM
Wow, just happy he got through in the end :D
Let's hope he can recover well and show a good match (with a win) against Ferrero...

Getta
06-30-2009, 05:47 PM
Wednesday OoP

CENTRE COURT

Ivo Karlovic (CRO)[22] v. Roger Federer (SUI)[2]

followed by
Andy Murray (GBR)[3] v. Juan Carlos Ferrero (ESP)

Andi-M
06-30-2009, 09:47 PM
Good Luck Vs Juanqui Muzza :kiss: xxxxx

MurrayMo
06-30-2009, 09:52 PM
Yes,good luck Andy! :)
Hopefully it won't be quite so draining....for him or for us! ;)

Turquoise
07-01-2009, 11:22 AM
I'm happy for Ferrero that he's having such an inspirational run on grass this year. But for me, it's now all about Andy and I hope that he can go at least one better. That match against Wawrinka kept me up until almost 2am, and it was worth every agonizing, every exhilarating second and the resulting zombie eyes at work on Tuesday. I hope today's match will be kinder on my nerves, but as long as he wins the match, I'll be happy. Good luck Andy, you can do it!

scoobs
07-01-2009, 02:18 PM
Good first service game from Andy.

1-0

Betty
07-01-2009, 02:19 PM
gooooooo andy:scared:

scoobs
07-01-2009, 05:19 PM
Andy looked a bit tired and mentally drained today but he still produced a superb set and a half from being a break down in that second set.

Grats Muzza on the semi - keep it going!

amdany
07-01-2009, 05:49 PM
couldn't watch the match today but congrats

Betty
07-01-2009, 06:22 PM
well done :yeah:

omg sf:scared:

Corey Feldman
07-01-2009, 06:31 PM
Semi Final!

last 7 british semi finals have all lost (Taylor 3 times in 70's and Henman's famous 4) :o:scared:

Betty
07-01-2009, 06:36 PM
so..time for one win for the first time:o

MurrayMo
07-01-2009, 08:05 PM
8th time lucky is the expression right?
(OK it isn't but we'll go with that.... :lol: )

Congrats to Andy!
I'm so glad that it was a shorter match for him,gives him longer to rest for the Roddick test.
He's got a decent record against him,though,so I'm optimistic..... :scared:

Getta
07-01-2009, 11:41 PM
http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/interviews/2009-07-01/200907011246450530000.html

A Murray - 01 July 2009

Q. What was your verdict on that performance?

ANDY MURRAY: I thought the second and third sets were very good. The first set I served very well, but made quite a lot of mistakes from the back. Hit the ball pretty short.

Yeah, obviously very happy to win in straight sets because, you know, the first set was tough. But I settled down after that.

Q. Physically you were happy?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, I felt fine. I slipped once on the court, but apart from that I was not stiff at all from the match before. You know, the court today was playing very quick, so not that many long rallies, which was nice.

Q. Little bit of an adjustment Monday night being indoors to being in the breeze and sun?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, the court played, like I said, very quickly today. You know, so I got a lot of free points on my serve. You know, his shots were kind of shooting through the court a little bit lower than the other night.

Yeah, maybe it took me a few games to get used to that. But once I did, I hit the ball well.

Q. You have a winning career record against Roger Federer, but today he reached the semifinals for the 21st straight time. He's tied with Pete Sampras for the majors record. When you think of Roger Federer's accomplishments, what has made him the player he is? What stands out most for you?

ANDY MURRAY: Well, the consistency, right there, in the big tournaments is ridiculous. You know, no one will ever match that, I don't think. You know, that's it. The consistency is the one thing. I mean, I don't think it's been surprising that once he won a few slams, everyone was saying that he could be the best ever.

But, you know, just to have no slip‑ups, to have no injuries ‑ maybe he has, but covered that well ‑ to not be really sick or to miss one event, one slam through injury, it's pretty incredible.

Q. You seem to be dealing well with the hype and pressure surrounding you. That's building as we get towards the semifinal. How are you doing that? Do you feel you're handling it better than in previous years?

ANDY MURRAY: It doesn't make any difference the way you perform, the hype. If you spend the whole time ‑‑ if you work in the media and spend a lot of time reading the papers, watching everything on the TV, getting said ‑‑ all the things that are getting said on the radio, then you get caught up in it.

If you ignore it you don't realize it's happening. You don't take anything that's being said about you. You know, I don't read it because 90% of the stuff's gonna be pretty much untrue anyway.

So, you know, I just stay away from it (smiling). No, it's been fine.

Q. Having come through that, having won comfortably today, do you feel unstoppable now? Do you feel this is the best tennis of your life?

ANDY MURRAY: No, I understand that I can lose the next match if I don't play my best. That's been one of the things that I've learned, and it's made a huge difference to me over the last year or so.

I realize that if I don't bring my best game then I'm gonna lose to guys like Hewitt or Roddick. I feel confident because I've won a lot of matches on the grass. But every day when I get up to play the matches, I know that I'm gonna have to perform very well, and that gets the nerves and the adrenaline going and makes me play better.

Q. Is this the best consistency you've had in your career?

ANDY MURRAY: Since Wimbledon last year, my consistency has been very, very good. Bar one very poor match at the Olympics, I've not really lost any early matches, not lost to too many guys that I should have won against, and, you know, performed well in the slams.

Q. You're the youngest one in the final four. You're the only one whose age is under 25. Apparently you have two generations here. How do you assess the players of your age's performance compared to the older ones in this tournament?

ANDY MURRAY: Uhm, well, I mean, Djokovic obviously had a good tournament, making the quarters. I have had a very good tournament so far. I think the guys that are around my age, you can't just look at it, you know, at this tournament. There's a very young group of guys at the top.

You know, Roger has to managed play through both sort of both eras, and then you've got guys like Hewitt and Roddick and Roger that have been around for a long time. I think it's a very good time for tennis.

Q. Did you know that Miss Scotland was coming down to watch you?

ANDY MURRAY: No, I didn't.

Q. Are you pleased she made the effort to come and see you?

ANDY MURRAY: Well, she came to watch at Queen's. Yeah, I mean, any time any of my friends or people ‑‑ one of my best friends from school came to watch me the other night against Troicki, it's nice.

So regardless of whether it's a Miss Scotland, which I know is the angle you'll be going for, I'm happy that one of my school friends came to watch (smiling).

Q. Have you ever played tennis with her at all?

ANDY MURRAY: No. My mum used to coach her a bit, but I never played with her.

Q. Were you aware that Kate Winslet was there? Are you pleased she was cheering you on?

ANDY MURRAY: Like I say, I didn't know who was in the crowd or who was watching except the guys that came with me. But, yeah, any time you get ‑‑ I think it's good for tennis any time you get, you know, big stars or celebrities coming to watch. It makes it, I guess, cooler for kids and stuff, which is important in this country.

Q. Following from your messages from the Queen and Sean Connery, have you had any other notable messages this week?

ANDY MURRAY: I got a handwritten note from Cliff Richard this morning. Apart from that, no other ones.

Q. The weather forecast for Friday isn't great. Do you have any fears of playing under the roof again?

ANDY MURRAY: No, not at all. I mean, I was a bit disappointed. I think it was kind of made out I was complaining about the roof. I wasn't at all. I guess it was the first match ever to play under the roof, and I was asked how the conditions were. I gave an honest and pretty fair assessment of how it played. It does play slower, which is not a complaint. It's more humid.

It doesn't make a difference to how I'm going to approach the match. Just you have to alter your game style slightly because it's a slower court. But I don't mind if it's indoors or outdoors.

Q. Do you hope you get a bit more warning this time, though?

ANDY MURRAY: Well, that's the one thing that I think is important, is that if you are going to play under the roof, that you know half an hour in advance. That's all that I would ask for, which I don't think is unreasonable.

Q. What was your recovery like yesterday after the match on Monday?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, I woke up around 10:00, had a big breakfast, and came over here and practiced perhaps for about an hour. Nothing too stressful. Went over to Roehampton to the national center there to have some massage and to go in the ice bath there, and then went home and spent some time, you know, playing with the dog, and went to bed.

Q. Were you surprised at all that the court was a third empty when you came on?

ANDY MURRAY: No. I mean, it was roasting outside, so I'm not surprised after Federer's match, that, you know, we were out pretty quickly after that match finished, that people would have gone inside to stay away from the heat.

I wouldn't recommend anyone sitting in that heat for five hours in a row, so didn't bother me.

Q. Do you think in any of your matches yet that your game has peaked, or do you think there's still another level you can reach?

ANDY MURRAY: Oh, we'll have to wait and see. You don't know until you get to that stage. If you have to raise your level or if you're way behind in a match or really tight situations, you never know.

But I served well in all of the matches, bar the Wawrinka one, where I've needed to. If I can keep serving like that I've got a good chance against anyone.

Q. I wanted to ask you about your serve today. You hit your fastest serve of the tournament today. Did you feel that was a platform for your success?

ANDY MURRAY: Well, it does make a big difference when you can get free points on your serve, because it's much easier to put pressure on your opponent, on his service games, if you're making a lot of returns and you're kind of cruising through your service games quickly.

Yeah, especially on grass, if you serve great, it makes a big difference to your confidence going, you know, throughout the match.

So, yeah, I thought the serve was a big part of my win.

Q. Ferrero just said the match very much turned in the 10 minutes of the second set when you broke him twice. He felt you raised the aggressivity of your game in returning to his serve. Was that a conscious decision, or did it just happen?

ANDY MURRAY: No. Well, I lost I think one point from 3‑1 and deuce in that set. Yeah, I started to serve better. I was hitting my returns a lot harder and was starting to read his serve.

Then, yeah, it happened very, very quickly from there in. I had a chance right at the start of the third set that I didn't quite take. But that was, yeah, a big point of the match there, because if he'd broken me again to go 4‑1, there's a good chance it would have been a set all.

Q. You mentioned your Ashes‑themed forfeits last week. Can I just ask how much of a fan of cricket are you, and who are you going to be supporting next week?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, let's go to the next one.

Q. How do you feel about Jamie going through today after the year he's had?

ANDY MURRAY: It's important for him to have a good run here. He looks confident on the court, from what I've seen of the last few matches, which is good. But, yeah, he struggled this year. I think the opponents that he would have had in the quarterfinals have withdrawn, so he's going to get a bye through to the semis.

He's a couple of matches away from winning Wimbledon again, which regardless of the year he's had, I'm sure he'd be ‑‑ you know, if he's lost six, seven, whatever, first rounds in a row in the doubles, I'm sure he'd be very happy with his year if he won another Wimbledon title.

Q. You spoke a moment ago about what strikes you most about Roger Federer. How about the Williams sisters? What goes through your mind when you consider their dominance?

ANDY MURRAY: Uhm, I guess it's a bit different with them because, I mean, I don't think they've had the consistency that Federer's had.

But I think with them, when they are on their game and they're playing their best, you expect them ‑‑ you do expect them to win, like Roger. You know, that's the one thing that's tough. I mean, they hit the ball harder. They serve harder than any of the other girls. I think they move the best. Their athleticism is very, very good.

You know, if they turn up in their best physical shape, then there's a good chance they're going to win the tournament.

Q. Given that Roddick and Hewitt are 4‑All in the third, would you talk about the challenge that each of those would pose for you.

ANDY MURRAY: Well, very different players. Obviously Roddick, along with Karlovic, is one of the best servers in the game. Hewitt is one of the best returners. So, you know, against Roddick I'll obviously need to return very well. Against Hewitt, more important that I serve well against him.

But both are obviously very tough matches. You know, Hewitt's won here. Roddick's made two finals. Both have been No. 1 in the world and are Grand Slam champions. Both are going to be tough.

Q. Looks like their match is going to be a tight one. Is it going to help you the fact you wrapped it up in three sets today?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, ideally going into the semis, if I had another five‑setter, you know, it's tough to recover from back‑to‑back five‑set matches. But I was only on for about an hour and a half, an hour and 45 today, so it's not going to take anything out of me physically, and I should be a hundred percent for the next match.

Q. Are you going to meet up and discuss your respective matches with Jamie, take some time to relax together?

ANDY MURRAY: No, I don't think so. You know, I'm going to get out of here pretty much as soon as I'm done. He'll go back to his flat and I'll go back to mine. We'll speak to each other if we see each other. But, no, I'm not gonna discuss the matches with him.

07-02-2009, 12:29 AM
Thanks for posting the interview :D And I'm glad Andy's Match went much better today
;) Now to have roasted Duck--Rodduck :p Actually I don't feel bad about saying that because even Roddick's fans call him Duck! Some times I wonder about that "other" Andy's fans :tape: :ignore:

Turquoise
07-02-2009, 04:22 AM
Well done Andy! First Wimbledon semi-final, fantastic achievement in itself :hatoff: Good luck against the other Andy - the crowd will have to shout Muzza, as Roddick will pretend they're supporting him when he hears Andy :lol:

Getta
07-02-2009, 04:22 PM
Friday OoP

CENTRE COURT

Tommy Haas (GER)[24] v. Roger Federer (SUI)[2]

followed by
Andy Roddick (USA)[6] v. Andy Murray (GBR)[3]

Corey Feldman
07-02-2009, 04:43 PM
i am getting nervous

Andi-M
07-02-2009, 07:08 PM
:woohoo:

Andi-M
07-02-2009, 07:10 PM
Come on!!!!!

Betty
07-02-2009, 07:11 PM

aceman:scared:

Andi-M
07-02-2009, 07:11 PM
Andy is in semifinals whatever happens its a good result,

but im confident Queen Elizabeth will be coming to town on Sunday.....

07-02-2009, 11:44 PM
"Our" Andy is much more talented than the "other" Andy, but I'm worried about the Match anyway :scared: I guess may be that is because I know how much pressure "our" Andy is under to win Wimbledon.

rocketassist
07-02-2009, 11:51 PM
It's so freaking nervous. The pressure here is all on him, I know he doesn't seem to care about it but there is a lot of expectation tomorrow.

Roddick's been there done that in a Wimbledon semi and knows what it takes.

Just hope he serves well. Duck has this strange capability despite his game to carve out break points, so no lapses in concentration or Rawdick will punish him.

Do Britain proud tomorrow lad.

Betty
07-03-2009, 11:37 AM
yes make the britan,the sco and all yr fan pround of u..i'm also with this sf:)

Andi-M
07-03-2009, 02:28 PM
Murray looking gorgeous in his interview :inlove: GL Andy!!!!!!

Corey Feldman
07-03-2009, 02:29 PM
Cmon Andy!!

Andi-M
07-03-2009, 02:45 PM
1 all 1st set, cmon Andy Muz!!!

Andi-M
07-03-2009, 02:49 PM
2 all cmon break now!!

Andi-M
07-03-2009, 03:17 PM
Sh!t set down. Roddick got tactics spot on.....:sad:

Cmon Murray

Andi-M
07-03-2009, 03:20 PM
Murray breaks!! Well done now plz hold

Andi-M
07-03-2009, 03:23 PM
2-0 cmonnn

Corey Feldman
07-03-2009, 03:24 PM
took playing like a twat in that 1st set to get his act together, but losing that set can still come back to haunt him later

Corey Feldman
07-03-2009, 03:59 PM
just dont believe this

he's won the 2nd set and has now reverted back to pushing in the 3rd

Corey Feldman
07-03-2009, 05:08 PM
2-1 sets Roddick and Andy is looking tired and uninspired, crowd starting to deflate too

i think he's losing this

rtgy
07-03-2009, 06:10 PM
:sad::sad::sad::sad::sad:

sorry Andy:hug:

decrepitude
07-03-2009, 06:19 PM
I'm bitterly disappointed, not that Andy lost but that he did not play his best. Roddick was playing at a much higher level than I have seen him play for years, while right from the start our Andy looked nervous. He says all the pressure the media put on him here does not get to him, but I think it must have an effect. I still think he can win Wimbledon one day but it would be a lot easier on him if he can win USO or AO first, to get the monkey off his back.

Considering grass is not his best surface, he still has done really well. The four years he has played he has got to 3rd round, 4th round, quarters and now semis. Moving in the right direction.

Corey Feldman
07-03-2009, 06:24 PM
decrep, Muzza gave him the ground, gave him everything and allowed himself to be dictated... just woeful mindset and cant be surprised he lost

said that, he had his SP in third (and played a crap passive point, what else? ) and then on BP at 4-4 in fourth set, again a 2nd serve and he didnt step into it

i might be harsh but thats the difference between him winning a GS and not those 2 points, and it will just show up again in other big matches in the future

he was too cowardly today "give me the error Roddick"

scoobs
07-03-2009, 06:28 PM
harsh mikey but there's some truth to that,

he really didn't impose himself at key moments, he allowed Roddick to do so and Roddick was not in the mood to miss today

Andi-M
07-03-2009, 06:35 PM
:yeah: Congrats on a good Wimbledon.

If after USO 2010 he has zero GS, I might start to believe he is too cowardly to win one, but until then I dont buy it and even if thats the case i'll still support him.

scoobs
07-03-2009, 07:02 PM
i think he needs one of the next 2 really...i'll support him regardless because i like his game but he needs to take the lessons from today.

Betty
07-03-2009, 07:17 PM
i think he needs one of the next 2 really...i'll support him regardless because i like his game but he needs to take the lessons from today.

agree:sad: glad he made the SF ,,but pity..pity :sad::sad:

Andi-M
07-03-2009, 07:21 PM
The frustrating thing is once he's cracked it and wins a GS I think he'll win a few he seems like the sort of person that once he learns how to do something he keeps doing it....except beat Roddiclk :lol: But to be fair he's never faced anything like this Stefanki induced Roddick in those 8 meetings.

So far this year he has improved his performance at every single GS, as fans thats all you can ask for that he improves. Hardcorts are his home, lets see how he does i dont know wha to except tbh, i think guys like Del Potro, this Roddick, Soderling, Tsonga, maybe Nole and obviously Federer and Nadal could/can beat Murray on hard, defending his points is not gonna be easy, but I believe he'll do well. USO is his favorite slam, favorite surface, without the ridiculous hype.

Getta
07-03-2009, 07:51 PM
http://www.wimbledon.org/en_GB/news/interviews/2009-07-03/200907031246619281046.html

A Murray - 03 July 2009

Q. You seem to have run into the Roddick of 2003. Were you expecting that?

ANDY MURRAY: You always expect your opponents to play well, especially at this stage of the tournament. And he served great. Served really, really well in the tiebreaks. I think he maybe missed two first serves.

The second one wasn't until 6‑4 in the tiebreak. He was serving really well at the start. And I had a few chances, you know, in the first tiebreak. I had chances early in the third set. I didn't take them.

Q. How do you rate your own performance?

ANDY MURRAY: I thought I played well. I mean, you know, if you look at the stats, I hit more winners, less unforced errors, more aces. I'm sure the points that we won were very, very similar. It just came down to a few points here or there on his serve.

And he served really, really well. You know, very close to the lines. Hitting at that pace, at such a high percentage, I think he was high 70s for a lot of the match. You know, sometimes there's not a whole lot you can do with that. But definitely didn't play a bad match.

Q. Do you think you were playing too passive or he was playing too great?

ANDY MURRAY: I mean, I don't think I played that passive. I think I hit a lot of winners. You know, my game style against him is not always to sort of go on the court and try and blast winners, you know, all the time. Because he has such a big serve that you need to try and, you know, get into points and make returns.

I used my slice well. I didn't passes as well as I normally do. But he came up with some good volleys and big serves, and that is what happened. Like I say, it wasn't through being too passive or me playing a poor match.

Q. Were you surprised with the sheer quality of his play at the net?

ANDY MURRAY: No. I mean, he came up with some good volleys. You know, the one when I had the set point in the third set, well, he apologized. He completely miss‑hit the volley. He was trying to hit it to the other side and it dropped very short and I couldn't get it.

I mean, he makes volleys. He doesn't normally miss a lot. You just have to make the passes, and I didn't make as many as I needed to. But I wasn't surprised by anything that he did. I expected him to play very well.

Q. Did you have a knee problem during the match?

ANDY MURRAY: No, it had nothing to do with the outcome of the match. I think you're always going to be a little bit stiff and sore when you get to the end of these sort of tournaments.

But it wasn't anything that sort of hampered my movement or anything.

Q. Could you talk about Andy's return? And secondly give us an assessment about the final. Does he have a good chance against Roger?

ANDY MURRAY: His return of serve?

Q. Yes.

ANDY MURRAY: I mean, I think a lot of people think that necessarily he doesn't return that well. But he has a decent return. It's not the best and it's definitely not the worst. But, you know, he makes quite a lot. He doesn't miss that many returns on second serves.

Because he serves so well, it makes it even more important for you to serve well. If you don't do that, then he's going to create chances. Because he came to the net a lot today.

I think if he serves like that he's got a chance against anyone, 'cause it comes down to, like I say, a few points in each set. So regardless of whether it's Roger or, you know, me or anybody else, if he serves high 70s with the pace he's got on his serve, he's got a good chance.

Q. Despite his record against Roger?

ANDY MURRAY: I had a pretty good record against him as well going into today. Like I say, if someone serves 130 miles an hour consistently throughout the match, and above, you know, in the high like 75s to 80%, it's very tough to break them, especially on a court like this that's quick.

Q. Overall, how would you assess this tournament?

ANDY MURRAY: I think it's been very good. I did better than I ever had before. I had some very good matches. And, you know, I thought I played good tennis.

I thought I dealt with everything that was sort of put in front of me well. You know, I'll come back next year and try and do better.

But it was a good tournament. Wasn't bad at all.

Q. On that point, you went a round further than last year; you're 22 years old. You'll leave here more convinced that you can win Wimbledon now?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, I think I have a chance. And I think the way that I played this year, you know, it was very, very close to getting to the final. If I give myself those sort of opportunities and keep playing well, and my consistency in the Grand Slams the last year or so has been much, much better, you know, a final, a semi and a quarter, I'm going to give myself opportunities to do it.

I believe I can win a Grand Slam, whether it's Wimbledon or US Open or Australia or whatever, I'm going to give myself chances.

Q. Did you say something to the crowd at the end? What would you say to the fans about coming back stronger next year?

ANDY MURRAY: No, I wasn't saying anything to them. I was just trying to get ‑‑ you know, obviously when it gets to the big points, the important sort of moments in the match, it's great to have the support.

They were excellent the whole tournament with me. You know, hopefully I'll have the same support again next year.

Q. Will you be able to move on from this, or do you think, you know, I lost to a better guy on the day?

ANDY MURRAY: No, I'll move on very, very quickly and go and work on my game and improve and come back stronger. That's a pathetic attitude to have, if you lose one match and you go away and, you know, let it ruin your year.

You know, I've had a very good year so far. I'm very close to, you know, the top of the game. The US Open I've always said is my best surface, my best chance to win a slam, and I'll give it my best shot there.

Q. Will you have a break before you go back to the court?

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, I've got five weeks before the next tournament. I'm not a hundred percent sure what I'll do next. But, yeah, I'll take a little bit of time off and then go over to train in America before the stretch over there.

Q. Are you aware of the level of support you've had back in Scotland? How much do you appreciate that?

ANDY MURRAY: Well, obviously I don't get a chance to go back there as much as I would like. But, you know, my friends and my family tell me the support's been great. So, you know, that's awesome.

Regardless of who's supporting you, it's always nice when you've got people behind you. I'm sure Scotland were rooting for me.

Q. You've talked for years about your feeling for the US Open. Has to be more than just the surface. What do you like about that tournament?

ANDY MURRAY: I've liked it ever since I went there as a junior. I played there the first time I think when I was 15 or 16. I love New York. It's one of my favorite cities to go to. The atmosphere on the courts is great. I love the center court there. You know, it's pretty incredible to play there when the crowd's full.

That's it. I really, really like the atmosphere there.

Q. I'm sure you'd like to clear up the code violation warning.

ANDY MURRAY: Yeah, I mean, that stuff just annoys me when you're totally rushed into it. You know, you can ask ‑‑ the amount of times that you get given a code violation when the line judge goes up to the umpire if you said something at the back of the court quietly, and the line judge goes up to the umpire and tells him, in a situation like that, if he gives me a code violation and I argue it, he could also just ask one of the line judges what I said.

And, you know, when you say like, Hit the pass, and you get a code violation for that, it's a bit disappointing. So I hope I get an apology.

Q. What is the overriding memory or lesson that you take from this slam to put into future matches?

ANDY MURRAY: I'm not sure. I mean, I need a bit more time to think about that. But, like I said, it's been a very good, productive tournament for me. I think, like I said, I played well. You know, unfortunately the last few slams that I've lost I've come up against some guys that have played great, great tennis.

You know, mentally for me, I've got much better at it, understanding that guys can do that against you. That's happened to me a few times now in slams. I need to keep making sure I bring my best game to the court in every match.

Q. Roddick said because all the pressure was on you he could swing more freely than you. Do you agree?

ANDY MURRAY: Well, I don't think ‑‑ I mean, I put obviously pressure on myself to play well. I don't think there was any sort of moments where I felt too tight to sort of go for shots.

I maybe made a couple of mistakes that I shouldn't have in the first tiebreak. But if you look at the amount of winners I hit compared to him, I don't think that I could say I wasn't swinging freely. I think I hit twice the number of winners as him.

Q. Which part of your game do you want to improve the most?

ANDY MURRAY: Maybe coming to the net is something that, you know, I have worked on a lot, but I haven't used it that much in the matches. The thing that is quite tough now, because of the way the rankings and stuff work, all of the tournaments become very, very important.

So it's tough to sort of go on the court and just work on things in matches. But that's something that I practice a lot and I'll try and get better at.

Q. Talk about the matchup and shots between Andy's serve and Federer's incredible return of serve. How do you think that might work out?

ANDY MURRAY: I think Federer has a good return. I don't think that it's incredible. He doesn't break serve as much as a lot of the guys. But he'll make Andy play. And Andy gives him enough chances, Roger's gonna take them. That's the one thing he needs to serve very well, especially at the start of all of the games to try and get ahead, not give Roger that chance to sort of swing freely at balls. If he can always sort of stay 15‑up, 15‑Love, 30‑Love up in games, it's gonna be tough.

But obviously Roger is the favorite. If he plays his best and passes well, then there's no reason why he can't win.

MurrayMo
07-03-2009, 08:23 PM
It was certainly disappointing,the way he played.At times there were brilliant shots,but when it came to the REALLY big points he did seem somewhat passive....even though he doesn't feel like he was (according to that interview).
He can be proud of the fact he got to the semi's this year,one round better than last.Maybe this time next year we'll be talking about him actually being in the final.... ;)

*starts the hype early*

Getta
07-03-2009, 09:15 PM
:yeah: Congrats on a good Wimbledon.

If after USO 2010 he has zero GS, I might start to believe he is too cowardly to win one, but until then I dont buy it and even if thats the case i'll still support him.

I'm afraid you lost me a bit.

What our support got to do with whether or not Andy wins a Grand Slam? :scratch:

Andi-M
07-03-2009, 09:40 PM

What our support got to do with whether or not Andy wins a Grand Slam? :scratch:

There are some people here that support Andy only because they beleive he will win GSs and if he dosent they will stop supporting him and go and bandwaggon someone else, shown by some "Murray" fans on GM calling him loser, pathetic etc.

Im just saying I think he definately will win a slam in the next year, but if he dosent, I'll still support him. I really like Andy Murray's game, personality, attitude and now looks too :drool: . It would take alot for me to stop supporting him.

Betty
07-03-2009, 09:47 PM
seem he see his mistakes..good
Rachel i'll continue to support andy too..but i reaally think he can wun a gs;)
btw i dont go vin gm tonight..already i'm in bad mood if i should go there probabily i d get a life ban:o

Andi-M
07-03-2009, 10:02 PM
btw i dont go vin gm tonight..already i'm in bad mood if i should go there probabily i d get a life ban:o

:lol: your safe here Betty, has anyone tried cheering u up?

07-03-2009, 10:06 PM
Well Betty I hope I can post after quoting you. This makes the 3rd time I have tried to post. MTF keeps telling me I'm not logged in, but I can see Welcome Mae at the top when I log in and also the skin color here at MTF changes to my choice of color. I agree to stay away from GM and I think Andy will win a GS also, but even if he didn't I would still be a fan ;) I had a much longer post about "our" Andy, but since MTF is acting up so badly I'll just say it was a bloody awful day in Tennis :sad:

Andi-M
07-03-2009, 10:14 PM
Well Betty I hope I can post after quoting you. This makes the 3rd time I have tried to post. MTF keeps telling me I'm not logged in, but I can see Welcome Mae at the top when I log in and also the skin color here at MTF changes to my choice of color. I agree to stay away from GM and I think Andy will win a GS also, but even if he didn't I would still be a fan ;) I had a much longer post about "our" Andy, but since MTF is acting up so badly I'll just say it was a bloody awful day in Tennis :sad:

Dont worry Mae USO final will be Haas V Murray. :angel:

Betty
07-03-2009, 10:18 PM
:has anyone tried cheering u up?

no:sad:
well u did i like yr optimism :hug:

yo Mae:wavey:

mtf sucks:(

decrepitude
07-04-2009, 12:51 PM
I have said for a while that Andy seems to be vulnerable against big hitters. In the past few years Roddick was an exception because the rest of his game was pretty clueless. . . Maybe our Andy underestimated him because of past experience, I could see improvement in Roddick but I didn't expect he would be able to follow Stefanki's plan all the time, I thought he would get a rush of blood to the head and let Murray in.

I hope when Andy is working on his game, how to deal with the big hitters is taken into account.

scoobs
07-04-2009, 07:21 PM

it doesn't have anything to do with it - i will support him regardless of whether he wins one slam, 10 slams or no slams.

I think in terms of "general expectation" people are going to start writing him off as a slam winner if he doesn't win one of the next 2, certainly if he doesn't win one of the next 5....

Betty
07-04-2009, 08:19 PM
....he'll win:p

Cloudygirl
07-04-2009, 08:21 PM
it doesn't have anything to do with it - i will support him regardless of whether he wins one slam, 10 slams or no slams.

I think in terms of "general expectation" people are going to start writing him off as a slam winner if he doesn't win one of the next 2, certainly if he doesn't win one of the next 5....

I think he will win one very soon but even if he doesn't I will continue to support him anyway.

Turquoise
07-06-2009, 04:20 AM
I admit I found the loss against Roddick hard to digest, but overall, I'm very pleased that he made it to the semi-finals in the first place. And no matter how much he denied it, the hype must have been overbearing; he's only human after all.

For me, the most positive thing about Andy is that he's on a progressive learning curve - there's much more depth and strength to add to his game. So much credit must be given to Team Murray; they're a positive influence on him and the work ethics are commendable.

A couple of years back, it took some time for him to grow on me, but once he lured me in with the wonderful nuances of his game, it's been a pleasure seeing him grow and mature practically in front of my eyes. He's going to have to defend a lot of points for the rest of the season, but barring injuries, I have a great feeling that next year will be his year. Hopefully, before then, he will have a shot to go one step further at the US Open this year; after all, he's improved his results in all the majors over the past year ;)

07-13-2009, 04:42 AM
Dont worry Mae USO final will be Haas V Murray. :angel:
:lol: I wish I could believe that one. Actually I do believe we will see Murray in a USO final at some point I'm just not sure when :unsure: I love it that Murray says the USO is his favorite Slam :inlove: Wouldn't it be great if that were his 1st Grand Slam win ;) :angel: