What happened to Ferrero 2000-2003? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

What happened to Ferrero 2000-2003?

watchman
06-18-2009, 07:18 PM
I watched his match with Murray and he was totally outplayed. His serve was pretty awful. I don't think he made a double fault, but it seemed like he got hardly any 1st serves in play. Apart from that, his all-round game seemed so weak. It got me thinking about how good a player he used to be. Why does he seem so mediocre now. A lot of people will say it's because the game has moved on from 2003, but I can't accept that as the full answer.

Has anyone seen Ferrero's forehand from his days at the top. It was brilliant, maybe the best in the world at that time. Pretty good backhand too. These days he doesn't seem to have the conviction to go for his shots. Also, maybe all the injuries have robbed him of most of his speed and movement, which were always two of his strenghts. Or maybe it's just confidence. However, even during his best days, he never struck me as a very confident player. The most disappointing thing is that these days he is getting blown off the court by people with better groundstrokes.

Burrow
06-18-2009, 07:28 PM
Uh, he has had plenty of injury problems. Doesn't that explain it?

Black Adam
06-18-2009, 07:51 PM
Mainly the game has moved on a lot and the fact that winning a slam isn't enough to get to number 1(i.e.Moya) just goes to show how good you have to be these days.

Burrow
06-18-2009, 07:56 PM
game has moved on :haha:

wrong, difference is, we have Federer and Nadal.

Jimnik
06-18-2009, 08:18 PM
He's not 23 years old anymore. That's what happened.

This has been discussed several times in several threads. Can't be arsed to find them but I know they're there.

octatennis
06-18-2009, 08:38 PM
he won a lot in his prime, i think he just lost the motivation, anyway he already won a tournament in the season and has had some good runs like wimbly a couple years ago and his final in toronto.

Burrow
06-18-2009, 08:43 PM
It was in Cincinatti, Roddick was playing pretty well then and took a set off Federer at the US Open.

octatennis
06-18-2009, 08:49 PM
It was in Cincinatti, Roddick was playing pretty well then and took a set off Federer at the US Open.

yeah, i remenber mosquito beat rafa in that tournament.

roddick had a key moment in the us final, i think he had like 3 bp opportunities in the third set that would have given him a 3-1 lead.

roddick always choked against federer.

Arkulari
06-18-2009, 08:58 PM
Roger emerged and started owning everyone, then Rafa emerged and the duopoly was born :o
no one stood a chance against them :shrug:

philosophicalarf
06-18-2009, 09:43 PM
A lot of people will say it's because the game has moved on from 2003....

That's what Ferrero himself says.

Jimnik
06-18-2009, 10:24 PM
It's the quickest answer to a question he's been asked a hundred times.

Burrow
06-18-2009, 10:53 PM
That's what Ferrero himself says.

So players like Robredo are better than a peak Ferrero.

mdjenders
06-19-2009, 04:43 AM
whatever the reason, his groundstrokes, esp the forehand, lost a lot of steam during 2004 season, never got that back. injuries, chicken pox, ill advised racquet switches, lack of confidence, facing more big hitters.... many reasons possible.

watch peak jcf, the racquet looks light as a feather in his hand as he hits whipping forehands heavy and with tons of pace. nowadays, the racquet looks heavy in his hands, and lots of his forehands are paceless short balls; lots of times these are not forced by huge opposition shots, just his fh is worse. from time to time, he clubs a few like old times, but never consistently anymore.

if jcf was healthy all year, he would be a consistent top 25 player like robredo, but too many injuries now.