Borg-McEnroe Wimbledon 80 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Borg-McEnroe Wimbledon 80

watchman
06-18-2009, 07:57 PM
I think this match is overrated. I understand why it is held in high regard, but the quality of the tennis is quite poor.

Set 1: McEnroe plays quite well, but Borg is terrible

Set 2: McEnroe is still playing well and Borg is still pretty awful apart from his serve which keeps him in the set.

Set 3: An awful set of tennis. Borg is still pretty bad, but McEnroe is worse.

Set 4: This set makes the match a classic. Suddenly both players are performing well, and probably everyone here knows about the tie-break.

Set 5: Borg plays OK. People make a big deal about him dropping so few points on serve, but McEnroe couldn't make a return to save himself. However, the final point is iconic.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh. Some people say that this match was 2 great players providing us with brilliant tennis for 5 sets, but it's a lie.

mitalidas
06-18-2009, 07:58 PM
Brave first post...! Welcome.

MacTheKnife
06-18-2009, 11:30 PM
:haha::haha::haha::haha::haha:

I love this place more and more..

miura
06-18-2009, 11:31 PM
You're certainly a hard man to please, eh?

Black Adam
06-18-2009, 11:38 PM
Can you do a similar description of last year's Wimbledon final aka the greatest match ever. I am pretty much looking forward to what you've got to say.

Black Adam
06-18-2009, 11:39 PM
Interesting to see you already red repped after 2 posts.

Burrow
06-18-2009, 11:49 PM
Can you do a similar description of last year's Wimbledon final aka the greatest match ever. I am pretty much looking forward to what you've got to say.

It's not close to being the greatest match ever, I can't tell whether you are being sarcastic or not.

Everko
06-19-2009, 12:19 AM
To be a classic every poimt must end in a winner, no?

GlennMirnyi
06-19-2009, 12:23 AM
It's not close to being the greatest match ever, I can't tell whether you are being sarcastic or not.

He's a Roddick fanboy, what do you expect?

pray-for-palestine-and-israel
06-19-2009, 12:45 AM
Man if you say it like that you could probably make any match seem boring

for example

Rome final 2006

Fed chokes away 5 match points

Australian SF 2005

Fed throws away 4th set and loses

AO 2009

Fed doesn't turn up in set 5

Wimby 2008

set 1- Rafa outplays a very poor fed who seems asleep through most of the set

set 2- fed wakes up only to fall back asleep, rafa takes second set

set 3- fed somehow hangs on with his finger tips, 15-40 in almost every service game- rafa still playing average tennis- fed takes tie break

set 4- fed still doesnt seem 100%, he manages to get to a tie break, where his game suddenly raises to 2006 form and he hits the most glorious BH in the history of tennis whilst facing match point- iconic

set 5- with darkness falling, nada outplays fed, both players raise their level in set 5- in another iconic moment- it isn't the fabled "weaker" BH that lets fed down on match point, it is actually his FH

Black Adam
06-19-2009, 01:08 AM
I was being sarcastic you muscle-flexing grouch.:o Like with the GOAT issue, there will never be a greatest match ever because there is so much criteria for what constitutes a great match.

06-19-2009, 01:43 AM
I was being sarcastic you muscle-flexing grouch.:o Like with the GOAT issue, there will never be a greatest match ever because there is so much criteria for what constitutes a great match.

No, but their will be a consensus. And if I were FED, a GOAT consensus would be good enough for me alongside all those hundreds of millions and trohpies.

The general consensus was that these 2 Wimbledon Finals were the greatest matches of the last 30 years or so.

Action Jackson
06-19-2009, 04:26 AM
Wonder which banned user this is?

rob88hock
06-19-2009, 09:27 AM
i kinda agree tho. but its hard to compare to todays tennis. The quality of tennis is lower and you cant compare it to now. Yes they may look not great to us. but at that time it was amazing. you just cant compare those styles to today. but nice post

Spirit_fire
06-19-2009, 09:45 AM
The most amazing match (not quality wise, but mentally exhausting) I watched was the 1990 Wimbledon final. I went through so many emotions. It was because I was such a huge Edberg fan...anyone know where I can find a copy of that match?

HKz
06-19-2009, 10:10 AM
I think this match is overrated. I understand why it is held in high regard, but the quality of the tennis is quite poor.

Set 1: McEnroe plays quite well, but Borg is terrible

Set 2: McEnroe is still playing well and Borg is still pretty awful apart from his serve which keeps him in the set.

Set 3: An awful set of tennis. Borg is still pretty bad, but McEnroe is worse.

Set 4: This set makes the match a classic. Suddenly both players are performing well, and probably everyone here knows about the tie-break.

Set 5: Borg plays OK. People make a big deal about him dropping so few points on serve, but McEnroe couldn't make a return to save himself. However, the final point is iconic.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh. Some people say that this match was 2 great players providing us with brilliant tennis for 5 sets, but it's a lie.

Okay, yes, in some ways you can say that the match is overrated. But again, you have to remember the circumstances. The grass is not the same as it is today. Players talked about the HORRIBLE bounces you got (if you thought it was bad enough when the ball hits the line today). It was to a point that they would almost never let lobs bounce to hit an overhead even if it was nearly impossible to time because they were that afraid that the ball would suddenly skid or jump away. On top of that, playing serve and volley, even at that time, it really all depended on the returner, unlike now where it is quite rare to find someone totally dominating on just returns. So in the past, no matter how good your serve was or how well you volley, if the return was good, most likely you have very little or no chance unlike these days where you can always work your way back into the point.

Yes, aside from the great fourth set, especially tie-break and the tad over mediocre fifth set, the match wasn't that significant. But the 4th and 5th set were enough to push the match, along with its historical value of Borg winning 5 in a row, to become one of the greatest matches. Honestly, I've never heard anyone considering this for the greatest match or saying that it was brilliant for 5 sets. But it definately is one of the better matches, or finals, in the Open Era also due to the fact that finals lack enormously huge 5 set thrillers. But by saying this about Borg and McEnroe's match, it would also be saying Federer and Nadal's match is overrated, which in my opinion is because many fans, critics, etc (apparently none of them watch tennis, or at least the match) claimed that both players were pressing each other like two galaxies colliding into each other, but in reality, the match was quite a roller coaster with Roger randomly coming in and out of his terrible play he had all year in the first two sets, while Nadal started blinking in the 3rd and 4th set. The real magic, coincidentally, was in the 4th set tiebreak. And then in the 5th set, it was mediocre as well, with another roller coaster from Chokerer and then Rafalafa just trying to stay in the points.

Again, with the lack of great finals, especially 5 setters, it concludes us tennis fans to continue to cherish the few at least decent finals that come our way, hence it gives the 1980 final, 2008 final and a few others a chance to be considered the greatest match. But honestly, there are many 4 setters and some straight set wins that have a more consistent high level of play than many of the 5 setters do, and a lot of them aren't even finals. But obviously as fans of tennis, we would want to imagine that the greatest final comes from a 5 set match at Wimbledon where the first four sets go to 40 point tiebreaks and the fifth set is so long that they have to play it over a period of 2 extra days finishing with a score of 30-28. Who knows, maybe Roger will have a boy and so will Rafalafa. Their sons will continue the rivalry.