Wimby QR3 - Gonzalez def Bemelman 6-3 6-3 7-6(8) [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Wimby QR3 - Gonzalez def Bemelman 6-3 6-3 7-6(8)

Collective
06-18-2009, 05:14 PM
Santiago González that is.

Can't remember the last time a Mexican appeared in the Wimbledon singles main draw. Well done Santiago!

Andre♥
06-18-2009, 05:16 PM
Santiago González that is.

Can't remember the last time a Mexican appeared in the Wimbledon singles main draw. Well done Santiago!

Alejandro Hernandez in 1999, if I'm not wrong.

JMG
06-18-2009, 05:32 PM
Bemelmin :cuckoo:

out_here_grindin
06-18-2009, 06:07 PM
http://www.hope.ac.uk/images/stories/international/flags/mexico_flag.jpg

Goldenoldie
06-18-2009, 06:33 PM

Where did you find the answer so quickly? It took me about 20 minutes hunting, to come up with the same answer.

Collective
06-18-2009, 06:48 PM

You're right. And he got his butt kicked back to Mexico by Kucera. Tough luck.

Jimnik
06-18-2009, 07:01 PM
I saw this match.

Quite impressed by Gonzalez, he really has a decent grass court game. Big serve, slice BH, charging the net and decent volleys.

Even more surprising is that he wasn't the only Latino serve-volleying today.

jguisa8
06-18-2009, 07:22 PM
Santiago Gonzales can be very very fun to watch, and i think has more than decent game on grass: good serve, great volleys, really good return of serve (especially on the backhand side), and great hands & imagination to improvise wich is really helpfull in grass.

The improvisation in his game can be a weapon and sa weakness because he tends to exagerate it, recently in a match against another mexican (Garza) in the Cancun challenger, they must had hit 60 drop´s between both, Santiago won but got trashed in his next match against Kevin Kim.

He lacks consistence but can be streaky in a tournament, and now he seems to be on a roll because he also qualified for the main doubles draw. He is a very talented player who by the way was a doubles junior finalist some years ago teaming with Echagaray when they both finished their junior carreers as the number 1 team in the world.

Drikke
06-18-2009, 07:38 PM
I saw this match.

Quite impressed by Gonzalez, he really has a decent grass court game. Big serve, slice BH, charging the net and decent volleys.

Gonzalez has great game, but Bemelmans played very bad today. And this court is a shame for wimbledon

Andre♥
06-18-2009, 07:43 PM
Where did you find the answer so quickly? It took me about 20 minutes hunting, to come up with the same answer.

Knowledge! :p

Well, I remember Hernandez playing Wimbledon and I just had to check the year.

Smoke944
06-18-2009, 07:43 PM
Awesome stuff from Santiago :yeah: :worship:
Qualified for the doubles draw too :cool:
Hopefully he gets a good draw, and Echagaray should stay and watch :yippee:

JMG
06-18-2009, 07:51 PM
I saw this match.

Bemelmans' game is totally suited for grass imo. It's a shame he lost like that.

GustavoM_Fan
06-18-2009, 07:55 PM
I saw this match.

FallA?

Jimnik
06-18-2009, 08:50 PM
Gonzalez has great game, but Bemelmans played very bad today. And this court is a shame for wimbledon
He struggled to return Gonzalez's serve and when he did it was often a high looping return. In fact I don't think he earned a single BP in the entire match.

Bemelmans' game is totally suited for grass imo. It's a shame he lost like that.
He has a good fast court game but he struggled with the windy conditions today. More of an indoor player IMO.

FallA?
Cuevas, believe it or not. I didn't see Falla.

Collective
06-18-2009, 09:11 PM
Thanks a lot for the insight guys. I don't get to see a lot from the Mexican guys living in Charlotte. I appreciate it.

I remember he won a juniors top 16 tournament in grass a long time ago right before Wimbledon. He was #17 but got in because some other guy got injured and won the whole thing. He was a promise that never made it big, too bad.

Hopefully he'll have to face a decent player somewhere in the tournament and get TV coverage

GustavoM_Fan
06-19-2009, 02:21 AM
He struggled to return Gonzalez's serve and when he did it was often a high looping return. In fact I don't think he earned a single BP in the entire match.

He has a good fast court game but he struggled with the windy conditions today. More of an indoor player IMO.

Cuevas, believe it or not. I didn't see Falla.

yes cuevin has good volleys and a acceptable service. but of course that mostly he plays from baseline (specially on clay)

remember he has a decent ranking in doubles ;)

Smoke944
06-19-2009, 06:35 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF2SoC6Krl4&feature=channel_page

Video today that shows Santi qualifying and some other stuff. There is a Mexican tennis channel to subscribe to on youtube now, which is cool :)