Wimby QR3: Michael "new age" Yani def Prakash Amritraj 3-6 7-5 6-3 6-4 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Wimby QR3: Michael "new age" Yani def Prakash Amritraj 3-6 7-5 6-3 6-4

Ilovetheblues_86
06-18-2009, 12:50 PM
Yani listens to Yani to relax?
Big win for him against indian grass god.

seljanin
06-18-2009, 12:54 PM
Damn :( Amritraj was a break down in the 4th set, starting from 0:1, managed to tie @ 4:4, and lost his serve immediately :banghead:

One serve&volley player less in the main draw. Have to hope now that Dent can finish the job vs Cuevas.

Ilovetheblues_86
06-18-2009, 12:55 PM
Doesn´t Yani has a big serve too? Adam was watching this match, maybe he could tell, what happened.

From Adam´s twitter:
"Nice stuff from Yani, it was a good match up, he passed Amritraj well. He's chuffed, and his mum is crying next to me lol"

Yani´s mom :)

jmf07
06-18-2009, 12:58 PM
Is Yani the first person born in Singapore to make the Wimbledon MD?

seljanin
06-18-2009, 12:59 PM
Doesn´t Yani has a big serve too? Adam was watching this match, maybe he could tell, what happened.

Yani doesn't have a big serve, as much as I've seen :scratch: But then again, I've seen him maybe some 2-3 times only. One thing I know for sure, Amritraj is a crap returner :)

Ilovetheblues_86
06-18-2009, 01:00 PM
Yani doesn't have a big serve, as much as I've seen :scratch: But then again, I've seen him maybe some 2-3 times only. One thing I know for sure, Amritraj is a crap returner :)

So he´s like a hard court pusher then. Well, good for him.

Ivo#1Fan
06-18-2009, 01:22 PM
So he´s like a hard court pusher then. Well, good for him.

Yani from college days at Duke was huge server, especially impressive coming from such a skinny rubber band guy ala Kuerten. He served and volleyed a lot too. Unfortunately I haven't been able to see him in pros since he's been hidden in the bush league for 7 years now, so I'm not sure how his game has changed. Huge achievement here for Yani. This will be his 1st grand slam. According to ATP site this is only the 2nd time he's even played a grand slam qualifier and 1st time he's won a match. He's been on a roll in the last couple of months, finally has his confidence up. I hope he gets a televised match out of this, and a win!

DartMarcus
06-18-2009, 02:07 PM
From wimbledon website:
Michael Yani has never been to Wimbledon but he is on his way now. Yani defeated the Indian Prakash Amritraj 3-6, 7-5, 6-3, 6-4 to deliver himself from the qualifying tournament in to the first round.

"There is nothing to describe how I feel," said Yani, who lived in Boca Raton, Florida, from the age of eight to 18 and now plays out of Duke University in Durham, North Carolina. "The closest I got to Wimbledon was when I drove past there the other day."

Yani overcame a huge gap in the rankings to win. He is 258th in the world compared to Amritraj at 155th, but he hung on in a close contest to keep the pressure on. Amritraj, who qualified for Wimbledon last year, fell short this time.

In the fourth set Yani had a 4-2 lead but was pulled back to 4-all. But he broke Amritraj in the next game to give him the chance to serve for the match. He earned three match points with an ace, then missed two match points before he won with a smash.

"I came out very nervous at the start but I settled dowm,"said 28-year-old Yani. "I had tried to qualify for the US Open and Australlia but to go for Wimbledon on grass was something different. I watched it on TV when I was a kid but now I would love to win a match there, it's a dream come true."

VolandriFan
06-18-2009, 02:21 PM
Prakash :awww:

Ozone
06-19-2009, 01:03 AM
Great stuff from Michael (whos my avatar)!! He is having a GREAT 2009!! I hope he makes some noise in the MD and raises some brows!! Great stuff!! GO MICHAEL!!!:woohoo:

adee-gee
06-19-2009, 01:30 AM
Yani's serve is decent, I wouldn't say it's huge. He played well though, Amritraj was net charging a lot and Yani passed him over and over again.

Nice gesture from Amritraj's corner, they came over and congratulated Yani at the end, saying the better player won. It was a pretty good match.

Experimentee
06-19-2009, 05:28 AM
Yani from college days at Duke was huge server, especially impressive coming from such a skinny rubber band guy ala Kuerten. He served and volleyed a lot too. Unfortunately I haven't been able to see him in pros since he's been hidden in the bush league for 7 years now, so I'm not sure how his game has changed. Huge achievement here for Yani. This will be his 1st grand slam. According to ATP site this is only the 2nd time he's even played a grand slam qualifier and 1st time he's won a match. He's been on a roll in the last couple of months, finally has his confidence up. I hope he gets a televised match out of this, and a win!

Well his game must have really changed as I saw him at the AO this year and his serve was not huge, and he never served and volleyed, actually he hardly ever came to net. He is just a typical baseliner, very flat hitter.

Burrow
06-19-2009, 03:06 PM
typical baseliner "very flat hitter"? that's not typical

Ilovetheblues_86
06-19-2009, 05:01 PM
typical baseliner "very flat hitter"? that's not typical

How come? Hewitt, Beck, Soderling, Hrbaty, to name a few

Ivo#1Fan
06-19-2009, 05:26 PM
Well his game must have really changed as I saw him at the AO this year and his serve was not huge, and he never served and volleyed, actually he hardly ever came to net. He is just a typical baseliner, very flat hitter.

I guess that's what pro tennis is today, the baseliners are just too strong. Maybe he had to adjust his game when he moved out of college and faced stronger comp. I think I overstated the serve a bit, it was huge for college, particularly for a little guy, I'm guess that just makes him a middle-of-the-road pro server.