Gille Simon STILL ranked higher than Tsonga or Monfis? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Gille Simon STILL ranked higher than Tsonga or Monfis?

DorianGray7
06-17-2009, 01:03 PM
After Gille Simon's pitiful run at RG, I'm surprised he is still the top ranked Frog.

Monfis is only 14 in the world seems very odd as he played way better than either of the 2 frogs ahead of him.

Apart from this, what do you guy's think of Simon's chances of proving himself on grass. Will he be a real contender unlike Gasquet ?

finishingmove
06-17-2009, 01:09 PM
he's in a slump, but even if he weren't, i doubt he can match gasquet's success on grass.

philosophicalarf
06-17-2009, 01:22 PM
Simon has about 4k, of which more than half he defends very soon....

Madrid (now Shanghai) 700
Canada 450
TMC 400
Bucharest 350
Indi 350

All in the next 6 months - only recent haul was 360 at the Aus Open. If he doesn't wake up soon he won't even be in the TMC, so not even the chance to defend those. Not like he has anything much in the non-countables to replace em with either, only 100/90 points type results.

Wouldn't be surprising to see him ranked 16-20 at the end of the year.

bjurra
06-17-2009, 01:47 PM
I doubt Simon will be in the TMC even if he improves. Too many points to defend.

rocketassist
06-17-2009, 02:59 PM
Simon qualifying for two TMCs in a row would be the death of tennis.

Sapeod
06-17-2009, 03:01 PM
Simon qualifying for two TMCs in a row would be the death of tennis.
Exactly.

leng jai
06-17-2009, 03:06 PM
I doubt Simon will be in the TMC even if he improves. Too many points to defend.

What has this got to do with TMC?

Fumus
06-17-2009, 03:13 PM
Why does MTF hate Simon so much? Tsonga and Monfils aren't the most consistent players in the world. Once hard court season comes back around expect an upswing from Simon.

Horatio Caine
06-17-2009, 04:06 PM
After Gille Simon's pitiful run at RG, I'm surprised he is still the top ranked Frog.

Monfis is only 14 in the world seems very odd as he played way better than either of the 2 frogs ahead of him.

Apart from this, what do you guy's think of Simon's chances of proving himself on grass. Will he be a real contender unlike Gasquet ?

He's the top-ranked Frenchman because his late-season points have yet to fall off.

Sure, his form is terrible at the moment, but people are almost forgetting that he had a good start to the year, which is why Monfils and Tsonga aren't streets ahead of him, points-wise (on 2009 results).

Simon does seem to be more comfortable on the quicker surfaces, but he is also particularly vulnerable to the powerful aggressors, and the Wimbledon draw will be full of them. He isn't a contender for Wimbledon, but as long as he doesn't get a horror draw, he should win a match or two.

Ciarán.
06-17-2009, 04:34 PM
His French No.1 status wont last much longer :spit:

bjurra
06-17-2009, 06:08 PM
What has this got to do with TMC?

Are you serious?

MsTree
06-17-2009, 06:26 PM
MTF hates Gillou as his subtlety goes way over most people's heads. If you don't bash a ball then you must be a mug. :rolleyes:

And he's ranked higher than Gael and Jo because the ATP fortunately take results into the equation and not the whining of MTF posters.

Hope this helps :)

Julio
06-17-2009, 06:29 PM
Simon has about 4k, of which more than half he defends very soon....

Madrid (now Shanghai) 700
Canada 450
TMC 400
Bucharest 350
Indi 350

All in the next 6 months - only recent haul was 360 at the Aus Open. If he doesn't wake up soon he won't even be in the TMC, so not even the chance to defend those. Not like he has anything much in the non-countables to replace em with either, only 100/90 points type results.

Wouldn't be surprising to see him ranked 16-20 at the end of the year.

He is not the same player than last year. The most difficult year is this one when you have to confirm your performance. Simon has simply not the balls to do it.

Chiseller
06-17-2009, 06:31 PM
Why does MTF hate Simon so much?

ugly tennis

rtgy
06-17-2009, 07:08 PM
ugly tennis

to be honest the only thing really ugly here is your ava ;)

Dini
06-17-2009, 07:10 PM
MTF hates Gillou as his subtlety goes way over most people's heads. If you don't bash a ball then you must be a mug. :rolleyes:

And he's ranked higher than Gael and Jo because the ATP fortunately take results into the equation and not the whining of MTF posters.

Hope this helps :)

What results? :scratch: Here was me thinking Jo won two titles this year and Monfils a final. :confused:

Certinfy
06-17-2009, 07:11 PM
I just hope he finds the form he found the end of last year.

MacTheKnife
06-17-2009, 07:20 PM
Scroll down and see if you can find him in Oct.

Lee
06-17-2009, 07:26 PM
Scroll down and see if you can find him in Oct.

Probably wait until the rankings comes out in 2010. Gilles had tons of points that will drop in October and TMC in November.

rocketassist
06-17-2009, 07:31 PM
Simon is a pusher with little game and doesn't belong in the top 10 with that game, that's why he's not a popular player on MTF.

Tutu
06-17-2009, 07:38 PM
Exactly.
Yeah, coz murray totally isn't a pusher...

oranges
06-17-2009, 07:47 PM

In Murray's case, you're obliged to call it intelligent tennis ;) You can doz off, though, without any sanctions

sammy01
06-17-2009, 08:18 PM
lmao at this thread, do people not know the rankings are based on the last 52 WEEKS, and in those 52 weeks simon has earned more points than any other french player, so i kid you not it makes him the top ranked frenchman

Dini
06-17-2009, 08:24 PM
But not the most deserved based on this year. :shrug:

MsTree
06-17-2009, 08:28 PM
What results? :scratch: Here was me thinking Jo won two titles this year and Monfils a final. :confused:

Why are you confused :confused: Do you not know the rankings are based on a rolling year? :rolleyes:
At the tail end of last year Gillou won 2 titles (Bucharest and Indianapolis) and made the final of the Masters in Madrid. He also made the semis of the TMC in Shanghai and Toronto. This year he's been struggling but still made the QF of the Australian Open and the semis in Dubai and Marseille.

Most satisfying though is his H2H versus the proclaimed GOAT, do you think Federer will ever beat Gillou? :lol:

rocketassist
06-17-2009, 08:29 PM

Find an example where Simon could hit anywhere near 65 clean winners (not including aces) in a GS match, then come back.

Anyway there's worse players than him in your sig.. all the MMTA players.

Dini
06-17-2009, 08:31 PM
No I do know how the ranking works, but there have been no earth shattering results (except AO and maybe Dubai/Marsellie) this year, that's what I was referring to. Not his ranking.

Action Jackson
06-17-2009, 08:32 PM
Not hard to work out Simon has nothing to defend, but that will change soon.

Lee
06-17-2009, 08:33 PM
No I do know how the ranking works, but there have been no earth shattering results (except AO and maybe Dubai/Marsellie) this year, that's what I was referring to. Not his ranking.

But this thread talks about why his ranking is higher than Tsonga and Monfils.

Sapeod
06-17-2009, 08:34 PM
:haha: You don't know how many posters say that :retard: Murray has intelligent tennis and attacks, mixes up shots, changes pace and such. Simug just pushes. So without further due, STFU ASAP :)

MsTree
06-17-2009, 08:36 PM
Find an example where Simon could hit anywhere near 65 clean winners (not including aces) in a GS match, then come back.

Why? Are they changing the way the rankings are worked out again? :rolleyes:

Sapeod
06-17-2009, 08:38 PM
Why? Are they changing the way the rankings are worked out again? :rolleyes:
No. Just to see who is the biggest pusher. The answer is pretty clear to be honest.

Dini
06-17-2009, 08:39 PM
Probably wait until the rankings comes out in 2010. Gilles had tons of points that will drop in October and TMC in November.

take results into the equation and not the whining of MTF posters.

I was initially referring to this statement. ^ rankings do take results into account but there haven't been many fantastic results this year. He's basically there because of last year and the fact that he's had so little to defend.

So maybe the poster I've quoted should have said "they take the results of a whole year so this year he's still ranked higher as he's not had much to defend".

MsTree
06-17-2009, 08:39 PM
:haha: You don't know how many posters say that :retard: Murray has intelligent tennis and attacks, mixes up shots, changes pace and such. Simug just pushes. So without further due, STFU ASAP :)

So you can see clever defensive tennis in Murray's game but you can't see it in Gillou's? That makes me think you've never watched him play, maybe you're the one who should STFU rather than jump on the MTF hate bandwagon. Or maybe you are really 13 :p

rocketassist
06-17-2009, 08:40 PM
So you can see clever defensive tennis in Murray's game but you can't see it in Gillou's? That makes me think you've never watched him play, maybe you're the one who should STFU rather than jump on the MTF hate bandwagon. Or maybe you are really 13 :p

There's a reason his nickname is Simple, because his game is simple to do for a pro.

MsTree
06-17-2009, 08:46 PM
There's a reason his nickname is Simple, because his game is simple to do for a pro.

He plays the same game as Murray only Murray has more weapons. If it's so simple why aren't we all earning millions hanging about in the top ten? :rolleyes:

Sapeod
06-17-2009, 08:48 PM
I ain't on any bandwagon except...for Soderling's :p If it sounded as if I was saying Simug never played good defensive tennis that's not what I mean. I said Murray attacks, mixes up shot etc. I said Simug just pushes. I never said he had a bad defensive game. He must have a good one if he's number 7 in the world. I'm saying that he has a very boring game to watch and that he hardly ever really goes for anything - so he is a pusher. That's what i'm saying. O.K?

BTW I am actaully 13 so don't even bother making any accusations or start say anything like "You're only 13. What do you know?" and bullshit like that :o Got it? :)

rubbERR
06-17-2009, 08:49 PM
No. Just to see who is the biggest pusher. The answer is pretty clear to be honest.

Murray is the biggest pusher =)

Chiseller
06-17-2009, 08:49 PM
to be honest the only thing really ugly here is your ava ;)

Thanks for stating the obvious. Anyway, it wasn't my intention to offend you. :baby:

Cloudygirl
06-17-2009, 08:50 PM
(dons flame proof vest) I like Gilles and don't think he is a mug, but his form in the last 3 months at least has been terrible, he has clearly lost confidence and at this moment in time I'm sure he would acknowledge that he isn't the best french player, even though in a 52 week rolling ranking system he is.

However whatever you say about his game it clearly does work for him because even if he doesn't defend last years great results he is still coming in at 16 in the race this year (only one place below Monfils).

MsTree
06-17-2009, 08:55 PM
BTW I am actaully 13 so don't even bother making any accusations or start say anything like "You're only 13. What do you know?" and bullshit like that :o Got it? :)

:lol:

sammy01
06-17-2009, 09:10 PM
But not the most deserved based on this year. :shrug:

rankings are based on the last 52 weeks, its not hard to grasp. this year is included in the rankings as is the weeks from wimbledon on last year and simon has better results over that time than any other frenchman, end of conversation.

Dini
06-17-2009, 09:13 PM
rankings are based on the last 52 weeks, its not hard to grasp. this year is included in the rankings as is the weeks from wimbledon on last year and simon has better results over that time than any other frenchman, end of conversation.

Yeah I know that bit, but if we're talking about results this year Monfils and Tsonga have out done him hence why I said that.

Anyway, he might come good at the end of the year like he did in 2008. Just wish he'd deliver more, he's just completely lost confidence- early round exists left and right.

sammy01
06-17-2009, 09:39 PM
Yeah I know that bit, but if we're talking about results this year Monfils and Tsonga have out done him hence why I said that.

Anyway, he might come good at the end of the year like he did in 2008. Just wish he'd deliver more, he's just completely lost confidence- early round exists left and right.

well that was what the race ranking was for, so you could judge people on this years performance.

the thread starter alluded to monfils and tsonga should be ranked above simon, when its not true as rankings are based on the last 52 weeks, hence the thread being pointless. if the thread starter had asked whos having a better year out of the 3, then a debate could be had, but you cant deny simon has the best results over the last 52 weeks and deserves to be the top ranked frenchman.

Ouragan
06-17-2009, 10:22 PM

Anyway there's worse players than him in your sig.. all the MMTA players.

Roland Garros R1. Plenty of winners, big serve. What's not to like?
Source: http://www.rolandgarros.com/en_FR/scores/stats/day6/1032ms.html

Match Summary
Odesnik (USA) Simon (FRA)

1st Serve % 110 of 150 = 73 % 77 of 145 = 53 %
Aces 7 14
Double Faults 0 2
Unforced Errors 58 59
Winning % on 1st Serve 70 of 110 = 64 % 55 of 77 = 71 %
Winning % on 2nd Serve 24 of 40 = 60 % 42 of 68 = 62 %
Winners (Including Service) 41 58
Receiving Points Won 48 of 145 = 33 % 55 of 150 = 37 %
Break Point Conversions 3 of 13 = 23 % 5 of 14 = 36 %