Why has Soderling received less attention following his FO run? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Why has Soderling received less attention following his FO run?

FlameOn
06-17-2009, 12:58 PM
Seriously, after Verdasco made the semis of the Australian Open Simon Reed dubbed him "the future" (I hate him for this), suddenly everyone who liked him was a bandwagoner, and everytime he lost a match, no matter who to, everyone said that he was a fluke.

I understand that Soderling hasn't yet played a tournament since FO, but what he accomplished at the French Open was arguably even more reason for people to start dubbing him "the future" and all that, yet nobody's even said anything of the sort. I've seen very few if any people say that his run was a total fluke.

Action Jackson
06-17-2009, 01:02 PM
There are idiots calling it a fluke. Verdasco is a himbo and a pretty boy, whereas as the Toad isn't exactly media friendly.

Stensland
06-17-2009, 01:05 PM
i think that's mainly because a certain someone has been casting quite a shadow on roland garros this year. if it had been rafa beating him in the final, söderling probably would've gotten more attention.

FlameOn
06-17-2009, 01:09 PM
i think that's mainly because a certain someone has been casting quite a shadow on roland garros this year. if it had been rafa beating him in the final, söderling probably would've gotten more attention.
I guess that could be it. :)

It's still pretty unfair though.

MariaV
06-17-2009, 01:12 PM
He got a pretty big reception back in Sweden. :shrug:
Plus he's not a top 10 player like Verdasco. Not getting into looks, polite manners or media friendliness.

FlameOn
06-17-2009, 01:18 PM
Plus he's not a top 10 player like Verdasco. Not getting into looks, polite manners or media friendliness.
Well of course he did in Sweden. It's his homeland. :D

Verdasco only became a Top 10 player after AO. Nobody had really expected anything from him at AO, same with Soderling at FO. I don't see how it's different.

Action Jackson
06-17-2009, 01:20 PM
Why does it matter actually?

A_Skywalker
06-17-2009, 01:20 PM
He is ugly :p

DDrago2
06-17-2009, 01:21 PM
Because his FO run is seen as a fluke

FlameOn
06-17-2009, 01:22 PM
Why does it matter actually?
Well it's just double-standards. :shrug:

Action Jackson
06-17-2009, 01:27 PM
Well it's just double-standards. :shrug:

Is it?

One is more media friendlier than the other, who happens to look better than the other. So the one that has the better image is going to be hyped more, not rocket science.

pesto
06-17-2009, 01:29 PM
Because nothing interesting happens after AO for a while, so it gets chewed over to death, whereas now it's all about cranking up for Wimbledon. RG is already a distant memory.

MariaV
06-17-2009, 01:39 PM
Well of course he did in Sweden. It's his homeland. :D

Verdasco only became a Top 10 player after AO. Nobody had really expected anything from him at AO, same with Soderling at FO. I don't see how it's different.

See, Verdasco became a top 10 player, Söderling hasn't become top 10 player yet.

Not that any of it matters indeed. :shrug:

BackhandMissile
06-17-2009, 02:58 PM
Verdasco went out after an epic battle that lasted 5 sets and about 5 hours, if I remember correctly.

Soderling on the other hand lost a pretty one-sided affair without ever showing any signs of a threat.

Personally I think the Gonzalez encounter was emotionally draining and he seemed to have decided there and then that he had had an excellent tournament, best 2 weeks of his life etc.. etc..

He made the finals look like a formality. When you don't show the desire to win, people don't usually tip you as a future success.

timafi
06-17-2009, 03:01 PM
because Soderling has yet to step foot on a grass court but rest assure if he is healthy and has adjusted his game and is firing from all cylinders I don't think anyone wants to see him on the other side of the net,nobody

AsGoodAsNew
06-17-2009, 03:16 PM
There are idiots calling it a fluke. Verdasco is a himbo and a pretty boy, whereas as the Toad isn't exactly media friendly.

I think that's basically it! Except I can understand why the media aren't interetsed in him and why they are in Verdasco!

It probably was a fluke anyway! And I think you're jealous of Verdasco!:devil:

Action Jackson
06-17-2009, 03:18 PM
I think that's basically it! Except I can understand why the media aren't interetsed in him and why they are in Verdasco!

It probably was a fluke anyway! And I think you're jealous of Verdasco!:devil:

Rain is wet, does this mean I am jealous of dry places, just stated the facts.

pica_pica
06-17-2009, 03:25 PM
Soderling has to get himself a nice girlfriend from the WTA tour to grasp attention :lol: (just joking)
I think personality and off-court rumours can be some reason too if compared to Nando
.......besides, too many eyes turned onto Federer after RG.......

tangerine_dream
06-17-2009, 03:29 PM
Because he's a fluke and everybody knows it.

Snoo Foo
06-17-2009, 03:34 PM
:scratch: where has soderling been playing since RG?

DJ Soup
06-17-2009, 03:47 PM
Verdasco went out after an epic battle that lasted 5 sets and about 5 hours, if I remember correctly.

Soderling on the other hand lost a pretty one-sided affair without ever showing any signs of a threat.

this is the answer

tennizen
06-17-2009, 03:47 PM
Because once Federer won, people forgot about Soderling.

DJ Soup
06-17-2009, 03:55 PM
Now, answer me this because I frankly don't know:
How far did the media go with Baghdatis and Gonzalez after their AO runs?
Specially Baghdatis, who was as underdog as Soderling.

Bazooka
06-17-2009, 04:20 PM
Who is this Soderling again?

Burrow
06-17-2009, 04:26 PM
Who is this Soderling again?

Still bitter about Soderling screwing Nadal over I see... :)

octatennis
06-17-2009, 04:30 PM
are you kidding me, right? it is soderling nothing else needs to be said.

Bazooka
06-17-2009, 04:34 PM
Now, answer me this because I frankly don't know:
How far did the media go with Baghdatis and Gonzalez after their AO runs?
Specially Baghdatis, who was as underdog as Soderling.

You must be kidding, Baggy was much more obvious as "new great". ITF world champion in 2003, took a set off Federer in USO 2004, almost took down Fed in AO 2005 4R, reached the final in 2006 taking a set from Fed again, then a semis in Wimbledon.

The reason most people think Soderling's victory was a fluke is mostly that people tend to have eyes and a brain.

Soderling, well, played a good tournament and an excellent match, but honestly even Robin's mother knows that it was more a problem with Nadal. Robin played the match of his life, yet that would have been not enough to take a set if Nadal was at 80%. Remember Rome, Robin played a really good first set there and won one game, on conditions that suited his game even better. Now look at the final, where Robin kept his level and focus, yet Roger obviously weaker than in past years still routined him.

Shit, Nadal was even falling to the ground that day. Fell three times, one of them justified, the other two ridiculous. He had obvious issues, and yes I know that means nothing and Robin deserved the win, but makes that victory not very significative in regard of Robin attention from the public, which is the thread subject.

Bazooka
06-17-2009, 04:43 PM
Still bitter about Soderling screwing Nadal over I see... :)

To be honest, yeah, I like Nadal and dislike ballbashers.

However Soderling deserved to win that day, and Nadal was a marketing bitch and deserved to lose. While he was making cash, promos, exhos in switzerland and what not, all other 127 players in RG draw were thinking about ripping him a new asshole. Guess what, one of them did. Uncle Toni should watch Rocky I , this was almost taken from the script.

Now after a month I actually think it was a good thing to happen.

Action Jackson
06-17-2009, 04:51 PM
Söderling played better against Davydenko, but lets forget that. He was too good on the day, if Nadal was so injured then don't take the court.

Sunset of Age
06-17-2009, 04:54 PM
The reason most people think Soderling's victory was a fluke is mostly that people tend to have eyes and a brain.

Soderling, well, played a good tournament and an excellent match, but honestly even Robin's mother knows that it was more a problem with Nadal. Robin played the match of his life, yet that would have been not enough to take a set if Nadal was at 80%. Remember Rome, Robin played a really good first set there and won one game, on conditions that suited his game even better. Now look at the final, where Robin kept his level and focus, yet Roger obviously weaker than in past years still routined him.

I'm sorry mate, however much I agree with you on certain points, Söderling deserves a lot more credits than you give him. It wasn't 'just' Nadal who he beat. He also routinuously put away Ferrer and Davydenko, players regarded by the majority of tennis fans to be very good clay court players indeed.
And Federer surely didn't play well on the run towards the final, but surely did so when he got there. In fact, that was perhaps his best match since a very long time. I'd really like to see more players having 'fluke runs' like these in the near future.
Credits to whom deserves them. ;)

Sunset of Age
06-17-2009, 04:57 PM
Söderling played better against Davydenko, but lets forget that. He was too good on the day, if Nadal was so injured then don't take the court.

And that as well. Rafa wasn't even near to his best, but that happens to ALL players once in a while. If he could barely move like said poster suggests, than he shouldn't have even turned up for that match...

ad-out
06-17-2009, 05:25 PM

I thought he seemed quite media friendly during the FO...

MacTheKnife
06-17-2009, 05:30 PM
Because once Federer won, people forgot about Soderling.

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. Also, when he got the final, he just didn't put up much of a fight, and just looked happy to be there..

noctilux
06-17-2009, 05:31 PM
I think Verdasco has the flashier game - when he's on, he constantly hits winners from unlikely positions. Crowds and the media love that and call it "the future".

Burrow
06-17-2009, 05:33 PM
One guy called it the future, obviously won't be though because he's 26 soon.

Sunset of Age
06-17-2009, 05:39 PM
I think Verdasco has the flashier game - when he's on, he constantly hits winners from unlikely positions. Crowds and the media love that and call it "the future".

"The Future" has had pretty bad results in the past couple of tournaments he joined in (RG, Halle, Den Bosch) - perhaps his AO run was more of 'fluke' than Söderling's... Too early to tell yet, of course.

MalwareDie
06-17-2009, 05:42 PM
"The Future" has had pretty bad results in the past couple of tournaments he joined in (RG, Halle, Den Bosch) - perhaps his AO run was more of 'fluke' than Söderling's... Too early to tell yet, of course.

I think that Verdasco's run was infinitely more a a 'fluke' than Soderling's. I think Verdasco had 3 or maybe just 2 injured/ill opponents during his run at the AO this year

mitalidas
06-17-2009, 05:44 PM
These are the non Fe-dal-ovic Slam Finalists since 2005:
Murray, Tsonga, Baghdatis, Gonzo, Roddick, Soderling, Safin, Hewitt., Puerta, Agassi.

Puerta is gone. Agassi is gone. Safin is heading that way. Baghdatis, well he is at 81 now.

So, excluding Murray, who some already have holding the Wimbledon trophy, the punters have figured out that the non Fedalovices are typically flashes in the pan. They go deep, have the run of their life, maybe, but then fizzle out one tournament later. That includes Hewitt unfortunately as well. So, it's no surprise that they're not giving Soderling his due. Which is funny, since he has some good chances on grass.

Sunset of Age
06-17-2009, 05:48 PM
I think that Verdasco's run was infinitely more a a 'fluke' than Soderling's. I think Verdasco had 3 or maybe just 2 injured/ill opponents during his run at the AO this year

Well I don't really know about that - all I want to say is that it might well be justified by now to conclude that Verdasco's AO run was indeed a 'once in a lifetime'-affair (unless he proves all of us wrong next week of course! :)), while it's yet much too early to conclude the same for Söderling's.

So, it's no surprise that they're not giving Soderling his due. Which is funny, since he has some good chances on grass.

Yep, his game looks quite suited for the green stuff, and that's why I am indeed very interested to see how he'll be doing the coming week. I don't think any of the Top Four would like to see him in his quater as of yet. :)

cobalt60
06-17-2009, 11:18 PM
Well I don't really know about that - all I want to say is that it might well be justified by now to conclude that Verdasco's AO run was indeed a 'once in a lifetime'-affair (unless he proves all of us wrong next week of course! :)), while it's yet much too early to conclude the same for Söderling's.

Yep, his game looks quite suited for the green stuff, and that's why I am indeed very interested to see how he'll be doing the coming week. I don't think any of the Top Four would like to see him in his quater as of yet. :)

Hmmmm maybe with his serve but doesn't he take the balls early at a high point which you see on clay but not typically on grass?

FlameOn
06-18-2009, 01:00 AM
Well, his W/L record for the whole year has been very exceptional for his past standards. 27-11 with his latest loss is certainly a Top 10 record. Before his spot of bad form recently (a form slump was gonna happen sometime I guess), he also seemed to be finding ways to give the Top 4 fits, even if he never ended up coming away with a win. I think he's proven himself as a Top 10 player. Maybe not "the future" slam champ that everyone was hyping him up to be. I don't think he's totally done yet though.

GlennMirnyi
06-18-2009, 01:01 AM
Only one idiot called Verdasco "the future". That guy should've lost his job.

Soderking is underrated by the press because he's not the usual gel-wearing press asslicker.

Johnny Groove
06-18-2009, 01:05 AM
Because the press is too busy sucking Federer's dick and digging Rafa's grave to notice Soderling.

As well as Gu's point about him not being the stereotypical media darling.

Dini
06-18-2009, 01:07 AM
Because the press is too busy sucking Federer's dick and digging Rafa's grave to notice Soderling.

As well as Gu's point about him not being the stereotypical media darling.

:spit:

Sunset of Age
06-18-2009, 01:17 AM
Hmmmm maybe with his serve but doesn't he take the balls early at a high point which you see on clay but not typically on grass?

Could well be. I have yet to see how he'll do on grass, but in his RG-form, I still think he could do quite a bit of damage. We'll soon find out. :)

out_here_grindin
06-18-2009, 03:57 AM
Verdasco's game is more flashy. He is a lefty with a severely lefty spinned serve. Soderling's strokes aren't exactly beautiful.

chammer44
06-18-2009, 05:51 AM
I don't know what you guys are talking about. Soderling is hot.:)
http://www.tennischannel.com/TTC/Players/Soderling_04.jpg

Forehander
06-18-2009, 05:57 AM
Because he doesn't get along with WTA girls.

The Oracle
06-26-2009, 09:25 PM
If I am not mistaken, he has lost less sets than this grass king everyone is talking about:).

If he can beat Federer, he will be the favourite to win against Murray.

Nidhogg
06-26-2009, 09:42 PM
If I am not mistaken, he has lost less sets than this grass king everyone is talking about:).

You are mistaken. Anything else?

mcnasty
06-26-2009, 09:50 PM
Does anyone remember Manuel Puerta and Martin Verkerk?

TheBoiledEgg
06-26-2009, 10:02 PM
poor Verdasco, he wont be able to find any hair gel in Madrid cos Ronaldo will buy them all :tape:

sammy01
06-26-2009, 10:18 PM
i think hes done well to back up his french open somewhat in making a career best performance at wimbledon. i don't see him taking down fed, but he could do big damage over the hardcourt season if he stays confident and in form.

iSzavay.
06-27-2009, 02:14 AM
He's not as marketable as Nando and I think lots of people (like me) think it was fairly flukish. We'll see how he follows it up at Wimby though, although he got a pretty brutal draw.
Hey he beat Rafa at his tourney in the fourth round, what if he could beat Fed at his tourney in the fourth round?

martinatreue
06-27-2009, 02:17 AM
Verdasco's game is more flashy. He is a lefty with a severely lefty spinned serve. Soderling's strokes aren't exactly beautiful.

Soderling's groundstrokes are flatter and way more stunning. Verdasco relies on excessive topspin and his backhand look weird.

green25814
06-27-2009, 02:57 AM
Soderling is really unlucky to be playing Fed so early.

Btw, Toad hits winners but his shots arent nice to look at (and i'm a fan). His swings are effective, but not pretty. Hence why he's less marketable.

jcempire
06-27-2009, 06:48 AM
If he makes us another big surprise next match by send Roger home, that everything would change in a second

I think He have to do more and more. Yes He plays whole lot better today rather than where he was before. But he need to do more (that one Final maybe you can say that he was luck cause Nadal injuried and rest of guy not the good in his half)

Good luck

gulzhan
06-27-2009, 08:19 AM
Davai, Toad! Send Roger packing and you'll get all the attention the tennis world can give :lol:

Too bad, grass is slow this year :(

dorkino
06-27-2009, 08:36 AM
Because he lacks the charisma :shrug: is a big factor and because some people still believe it's not that much what he did in one tourney.

vamosinator
06-27-2009, 09:09 AM
Soderling dethroned the GOAT of clay, that will leave a mark on history far greater than other GS finalists (Tsonga for example) :D

Bargearse
06-27-2009, 09:46 AM
With Murray getting most of the hype and Federer getting the leftovers, there is little attention left for anyone else. I don't think Soderling's French Open campaign was a fluke at all. I've always thought he had a good, solid game.

Toad is the Lindsay Davenport or Kuznetsova of the men's game only without the slams AND, he's better looking. They won slams even and still got/get little or no attention in tournaments. I have heard and seen very little of Kuznetsova this Wimbledon, yet I saw both of Sharapova's matches.

whattheheck
06-27-2009, 11:24 AM
Because people haven't warmed up to him yet.

dorkino
06-27-2009, 12:19 PM
Soderling dethroned the GOAT of clay, that will leave a mark on history far greater than other GS finalists (Tsonga for example) :D

Very much untrue on the long run not to mention that this's not the answer to the thread title. :D

tennishero
06-27-2009, 01:11 PM
he had a lucky run at the FO. he has little talent, his playstyle is basic, he just hits the ball hard. thats why.