To whom the top 5 have lost in 2009 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

To whom the top 5 have lost in 2009

pogotheorist
06-17-2009, 03:57 AM
A remark on another thread (saying Andy and Nole were losing to a lot of lower-ranked players this year, compared to JMDP - true of Nole, not of Andy) prompted me to check this out.

Losses in 2009 (to Top 5 + other) H2H vs Top 5

Rafa 5 (3+2) 8-3 Murray JMDP Fed Monfils Soderling
Roger 6 (5+1) 4-5 Murrayx2 Nolex2 Nadal Wawrinka
Andy 6 (3+3) 5-3 Nadalx2 JMDP Verdasco Monaco Gonzalez
Nole 13 (5+8) 3-5 Nadalx4 Murray Haas Kohli Roddickx2 Ferrer Tsonga Nieminen Gulbis
JMDP 9 (6+3) 2-6 Fedx3 Murray Nadal Nole Fish Stepanek Ljubicic

So:

Both Rafa and Andy have wins against all the others; JMDP only one with losses against all.
Roger has owned JMDP - but Rafa has gone one better, and actually pigeonized Nole within a half-year.
is the market right to make Roger the Wimbledon favorite? One win and five losses against the other Top 4 this year... Nole, 0-4 against Rafa and 2-0 against Roger, presumably wants to be in Roger's half - and I would bet that's Andy's preference too.
on the whole, it's a picture of a competitive crowd at the top. A lot more interesting than the era of dominance. Fascinating storylines, clashing ambitions, uncertainty and heartbreak - that's entertainment!

DJ Soup
06-17-2009, 04:43 AM
spot on

Dini
06-17-2009, 07:43 AM
When did JMDP lose to Fish?

Nice thread btw. ;)

feuselino
06-17-2009, 07:52 AM
Nice info. But you forgot Davis Cup, I think.

Dini
06-17-2009, 07:55 AM
Nice info. But you forgot Davis Cup, I think.

I think not. :scratch:

Nadal has beaten Nole in DC, MC, Rome and Madrid. That's 4, no?

MrChopin
06-17-2009, 08:04 AM
Nice post! I didn't realize how many losses Djokovic already had this year.

is the market right to make Roger the Wimbledon favorite? One win and five losses against the other Top 4 this year... Nole, 0-4 against Rafa and 2-0 against Roger, presumably wants to be in Roger's half - and I would bet that's Andy's preference too.

I think the market is right. Fed's serve had been relatively poor for most of the year. Fed recently commented on the adjustments he made, and his serve was noticeably improved at Madrid and RG, so that's a big boost for grass.

Fed has lost to nobody but Nadal in a slam since Djokovic at AO '08. On the other hand, both Murray and Djokovic lost to him as recently as USO '08. We know Fed is a different creature at the slams, so I think the 0-4 against them this year doesn't put them above him should they meet.

Djokovic has struggled on grass, Murray is unproven, and both are prone to early exits, so Fed may not even have to face them. 0-4 might not even be a factor to consider.

If Fed is serving like he did at RG, Rafa would have problems beating him on grass. He won't get into Fed's service games as easily as he has in the past year, which was a huge contrast in the fifth at Wimbledon last year: Fed was fighting to hold most of the time, whereas Rafa held comfortably throughout almost the entire final set.

FedFan_2007
06-17-2009, 08:49 AM
Fed turns into a monster at slams, so Nole/Murray will have their hands full.

feuselino
06-17-2009, 11:10 AM
I think not. :scratch:

Nadal has beaten Nole in DC, MC, Rome and Madrid. That's 4, no?

Yeah, that's right. But the OP wrote that Andy was the only one with wins against all the others, but the same is acutally true for Nadal. So I thought he forgot Nadal's Davis Cup win against Djokovic.

Of course I forgot that Nadal beat Djokovic outside of DC a hundred time already, so maybe I should get some more sleep before I post again... ;)

Vida
06-17-2009, 11:47 AM
roger will win wimbledon guys. you're safe and sound.

Goldenoldie
06-17-2009, 12:02 PM
Nice thread. Just shows how flaky Djokovic has been this year.

Ouragan
06-17-2009, 12:09 PM
I see Murray enjoys losing to Latin guys...what's their secret? :)

Frooty_Bazooty
06-17-2009, 02:16 PM
nice stats OP

just in defence of Nole, all 4 of those losses to Rafa came on clay

DJ Soup
06-17-2009, 03:29 PM

they are fighters

Sapeod
06-17-2009, 03:50 PM
Dope.

green25814
06-17-2009, 04:27 PM
Djoker is the biggest djoke on tour. Cloesly followed by Ponyman. Total mugs the pair of them.

pogotheorist
06-18-2009, 02:56 AM
When did JMDP lose to Fish?San Jose

OP wrote that Andy was the only one with wins against all the others, but the same is acutally true for Nadal.
Oh yeah... fixed.