Better question: Coria or Nalbandian [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Better question: Coria or Nalbandian

Leo
06-15-2009, 08:56 PM
As an aside to the Safin/Nalby debate, who is the bigger underachiever of these two Argentinian former Top 5ers?

Each has one failed GS final, although Coria was much much closer to taking the prize. He had championship point(s), whereas Nalby was helplessly crushed by Hewitt in his sole championship match. Both have been let down by their serves, but obviously Coria's service downfall has been much more dramatic and tragic.

My guess is that most people will say Nalbandian, as he was probably the better player overall and certainly the better fast-court player. But Coria was the King of Clay for a year, and was unbelievably crafty, resourceful, and tough in his prime. Anyone remember how he dismantled Moya in that RG '04 QF? That was scary good clay court tennis.

They are definitely close in "talent" level.

tennishero
06-15-2009, 09:16 PM
not really, nalbandian is still in the top 20. nalbandian > coria > safin.
next.

Dini
06-15-2009, 09:19 PM
No matter how you phrase the question or spin the topic Nalby will always be the biggest underachiever. :sobbing:

Leo
06-15-2009, 09:20 PM
not really, nalbandian is still in the top 20. nalbandian > coria > safin.
next.

I'd place Safin > Nalby > Coria.

tennishero
06-15-2009, 09:25 PM
I'd place Safin > Nalby > Coria.

lol do u know what underachiever means? u know, the opposite of achieving...

shotgun
06-15-2009, 09:31 PM
Nalbandian.

Coria should have won RG in 2004 if not for choking, but what else? Then came Nadal and it's very likely Coria wouldn't have won any more RGs, even if he remained at his peak for a few more years. Besides, considering his style of game he would have probably burned out by now (at 27). His serve and mentality issues aside, I doubt he would still be a factor in mens tennis these days.

alfonsojose
06-16-2009, 03:57 AM
Fat Dave > The weasel

green25814
06-16-2009, 04:05 AM
I prefer Coria by quite a distance.

CmonAussie
06-16-2009, 05:54 AM
Safin is not really an underachiever [only if you consider him relative to Federer]..
Safin was no more talented than say Philippoussis, so if you compare those 2 its obvious that Mark.P is a big undachiever!

Nalbandian is the biggest underachiever because for 6-7 ears [2002--08] he could have won any of the 4 slams: since he`s a great allround player, thus he`s wasted almost 30 chances to win slams [my opinion]..

Coria on the other hand only had a chance to win FO,, and his time frame was also much narrower [2003--05], so he only wasted 3 realistic chances to win slams..

If you look at it that way 30 chances NALBY vs. 3 chances CORIA:: its obvious who underachieved more!!

Godprint
06-16-2009, 05:56 AM
i like nalbandian as a player more.

he did manage to beat all top 3 in the world remember? with superb returns and backhands.

leng jai
06-16-2009, 06:18 AM
Safin is not really an underachiever [only if you consider him relative to Federer]..
Safin was no more talented than say Philippoussis, so if you compare those 2 its obvious that Mark.P is a big undachiever!

Nalbandian is the biggest underachiever because for 6-7 ears [2002--08] he could have won any of the 4 slams: since he`s a great allround player, thus he`s wasted almost 30 chances to win slams [my opinion]..

Coria on the other hand only had a chance to win FO,, and his time frame was also much narrower [2003--05], so he only wasted 3 realistic chances to win slams..

If you look at it that way 30 chances NALBY vs. 3 chances CORIA:: its obvious who underachieved more!!

Fat dave 30 "chances" to win slams :haha::haha::haha:

HeretiC
06-16-2009, 06:54 AM
As an aside to the Safin/Nalby debate, who is the bigger underachiever of these two Argentinian former Top 5ers?

Each has one failed GS final, although Coria was much much closer to taking the prize. He had championship point(s), whereas Nalby was helplessly crushed by Hewitt in his sole championship match. Both have been let down by their serves, but obviously Coria's service downfall has been much more dramatic and tragic.

My guess is that most people will say Nalbandian, as he was probably the better player overall and certainly the better fast-court player. But Coria was the King of Clay for a year, and was unbelievably crafty, resourceful, and tough in his prime. Anyone remember how he dismantled Moya in that RG '04 QF? That was scary good clay court tennis.

They are definitely close in "talent" level.

IMO, in Wimby 2002 Hewitt was too big bite for Nalbandian, but USO 2003 was the big chance for him, he was up 2:0 in the SF against Roddick with a MP. And Ferrero wouldn't have been much of a problem in the finals (he crashed him 6-3 6-1 the same year later on hard).

Forehander
06-16-2009, 07:59 AM

It's not like I'm not the fat man's fan but this post..... ROFLMAO~!!!!!! :haha: :haha: :haha: