Nadal to play Hurlingham? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nadal to play Hurlingham?

Frooty_Bazooty
06-15-2009, 08:26 PM
from his official website

World No.1 Rafael Nadal could play at the Hurlingham Cub, this Friday 19 June, as part of his preparations to defend his Wimbledon title. Rafa is expected to make a decision later this week.

Rafa Nadal has played at this pre-Wimbledon event, which takes place at the renowned Hurlingham Club, South West London, twice before in 2006 and 2007. Rafael would be scheduled to play against World No.19, Stanislas Wawrinka, who won a gold medal with fellow countryman Roger Federer at the 2008 Olympic Games and recently defeated him at the Monte Carlo Masters.

Looking to retain his 2008 Wimbledon crown, after playing a five-set epic final against Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal plans to travel to London tomorrow.

"I have kindly been invited to play the traditional exhibition at the Hurlingham Club on Friday, June 19. I have played at that Club for several years now. It would be a good test for me to play there on Friday to see how the knee is doing and it would provide the perfect setting to get some practice before Wimbledon. If I feel the recuperation is going well I will be more than happy to be there again. I hope that's the case," said Nadal.

Things must be going well if he's even considering playing an exhibition match

And glad to see that Wawrinka is starting to take the grass court season a bit more seriously after his clay court challenger last week :rolleyes:

The Oracle
06-15-2009, 08:27 PM
http://www.rafaelnadal.com/nadal/en/news

JUNE 15 | 2009
RAFA CONSIDERING TO PLAY AT THE HURLINGHAM CLUB (http://www.rafaelnadal.com/nadal/en/news/article/rafa-considering-to-play-at-the-hurlingham-club)

World No.1 Rafael Nadal could play at the Hurlingham Cub, this Friday 19 June, as part of his preparations to defend his Wimbledon title. Rafa is expected to make a decision later this week.

Rafa Nadal has played at this pre-Wimbledon event, which takes place at the renowned Hurlingham Club, South West London, twice before in 2006 and 2007. Rafael would be scheduled to play against World No.19, Stanislas Wawrinka, who won a gold medal with fellow countryman Roger Federer at the 2008 Olympic Games and recently defeated him at the Monte Carlo Masters.

Looking to retain his 2008 Wimbledon crown, after playing a five-set epic final against Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal plans to travel to London tomorrow.

"I have kindly been invited to play the traditional exhibition at the Hurlingham Club on Friday, June 19. I have played at that Club for several years now. It would be a good test for me to play there on Friday to see how the knee is doing and it would provide the perfect setting to get some practice before Wimbledon. If I feel the recuperation is going well I will be more than happy to be there again. I hope that's the case," said Nadal.

The Oracle
06-15-2009, 08:28 PM
I dont know......but I hope he gets better and everything.........just playing an exhibition match and decide to pull out.....i dont know....that just does not sound reasonable.

Johnny Groove
06-15-2009, 08:29 PM
Not a bad decision to get some practice in against a top 20 player.

Let the MTF stupidity begin.

kaylee
06-15-2009, 08:29 PM
He hasn't said he is going to play YET!

oz_boz
06-15-2009, 08:30 PM
Any more people who read "Hurtingham" in the thread title?

Certinfy
06-15-2009, 08:30 PM
Wawrinka should own this shitty Nadal

kaylee
06-15-2009, 08:31 PM
on grass? I don't think so!

The Oracle
06-15-2009, 08:32 PM
Wawrinka should own this shitty Nadal
lol.......:)......

I dont know......but if Wawrinka beats Nadal and get revenge for his boyfriend....that'll be kinda sad.......

If Nadal wins though........he will have to play Wimbledon........cuz if he pulls out after the exhibition match......i dont know........it would not be too reasonable would it...

The Oracle
06-15-2009, 08:36 PM
He hasn't said he is going to play YET!
I know........I just hope he wont hurt his knees......i hope the invitation is worth the pain on his knees.

Mint Chip
06-15-2009, 08:36 PM
Stan the man to win in two tiebreakers then Nadal will pull out of Wimby citing the reason he lost was because of his knee.

Commander Data
06-15-2009, 08:39 PM
this expo won't be career deciding.

The Oracle
06-15-2009, 08:39 PM
Stan the man to win in two tiebreakers then Nadal will pull out of Wimby citing the reason he lost was because of his knee.

Well........this is after all an exhibition.......maybe Nadal will decide he can only last one set and retire.......

At least I say that's the most graceful exit.......but I still wanna see Stan avenging for his boyfriend by beating Nadal...

mitalidas
06-15-2009, 08:40 PM
Any more people who read "Hurtingham" in the thread title?

Some undoubtedly stopped at "hurling" and smiled in relief!

kaylee
06-15-2009, 08:42 PM
well on one hand it will be a good guage on how his knees are and second he is damned if he does and damned if he doesn't - there will be speculators if he wins or loses so he might as well go ahead.

dam0dred
06-15-2009, 08:45 PM
He has tendinitis, not a broken leg. This is all just typical Uncle Toni/Rafa "I'm hurt" PR spin. And, judging by MTF's response, it's working.

miura
06-15-2009, 08:53 PM
It's not like he has to run up every ball at a flamin' exho anyway.

Frooty_Bazooty
06-15-2009, 09:00 PM
at the same time though, it would be difficult for him to play wimbledon if he hadnt played a single match on grass so maybe its an all or nothing situation

oz_boz
06-15-2009, 09:02 PM
Some undoubtedly stopped at "hurling" and smiled in relief!

Good idea, he'd be pretty good at it, no?

star
06-15-2009, 09:26 PM
It's a problem for Rafa. On the one hand he's been cautioned to rehab his knee, but on the other hand, he's a guy who likes to play a lot of matches and spend a lot of time on the practice court preparing. So, I guess this is a way to test the knee's progress while getting some kind of limited match play.

Har-Tru
06-15-2009, 09:38 PM
it's on grass? I don't see what's wrong with that. I'm sure he runs more in a practice session.

peribsen
06-15-2009, 09:38 PM
Since when is an exhibition a "match"? Rafa has a chronic knee problem, true, but if he is going to play Wimby he obviously needs some training. Other years, he went to Queens (up to 5 serious matches). This year it was probably smart of him to skip it. A half-hearted dress rehearsal on grass may do him more good than bad. No big deal about this news.

Mats68
06-16-2009, 12:32 AM
Rafa played a USD$ 1M private exhibition match in Switzerland a few days before RG, right after his defeat in Madrid. Stupid decisions like these (or playing Barcelona), just to add 1 more million dollars to his bank account, are costing him his career.
This grass exho however, could be a good easy practice, handsomely paid, testing his knee and lack of matches. So not so stupid this time.