Rosmalen R1 : Oscar Hernandez vs. Daniel Koellerer, match of the season [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Rosmalen R1 : Oscar Hernandez vs. Daniel Koellerer, match of the season

Action Jackson
06-13-2009, 02:18 PM
Too bad this wasn't at Wimbledon, but for those who don't know, these guys aren't the best of friends.

The classic video.

Vfqp8QEsrds

zerocool_
06-13-2009, 02:33 PM
King :worship:

asmazif
06-13-2009, 02:54 PM
promises to be another classic encounter.

philosophicalarf
06-13-2009, 02:55 PM
I'm still shocked crazy Dani didn't dropkick him into the next court. Very surprising calm :-)

Burrow
06-13-2009, 03:12 PM
Seen the gif of that but not the video, bloody hell...:o

Andre♥
06-13-2009, 03:14 PM
"Que málo eres!" :worship:

GMOAT for sure.

prima donna
06-13-2009, 03:19 PM
Hahaha. Great commentary.

Everko
06-13-2009, 03:31 PM
what tournament was that? What tournament isd the one upcoming?

Renaud
06-13-2009, 03:33 PM
what tournament was that? What tournament isd the one upcoming?
The video comes from Santiago i think, for the upcoming tournament just look at the thread title.

Sapeod
06-13-2009, 03:43 PM
The King will beat the shit out of that twat.

norwegian_wood
06-13-2009, 03:47 PM
What the hell was all this about?!

Action Jackson
06-13-2009, 04:20 PM
Some classic Koellerer.

yxeDx8GL0N4

Iván
06-13-2009, 04:25 PM
these clips are making me crack up

priceless!

acionescu
06-13-2009, 04:28 PM
I hope someone has a camera on :rolls:

Iván
06-13-2009, 04:35 PM
when crazy dani says ''come here, ill tell you something''

hahahahahahahahah

Julio
06-13-2009, 04:36 PM
I'm pretty sure that "Crazy-Dani" is not the worst on tour. He simply shows all on a tennis court.

marcRD
06-13-2009, 04:37 PM
Oscar Hernandez giggles like a little girl. Priceless.

Iván
06-13-2009, 04:44 PM
i wish you tube had more tennis arguments between players

there must be more

just dont know which names to type in the search engine

Garson007
06-13-2009, 05:29 PM
Wow! What a laugh from the king! :worship:

nastoff
06-13-2009, 05:51 PM
I'm pretty sure that "Crazy-Dani" is not the worst on tour. He simply shows all on a tennis court.

If I were Koellerer I'd punch Hernandez in the face, so he was quite reserved imo. It doesn't matter how Dani reacts during the game, that response was uncalled for.

Nidhogg
06-13-2009, 05:54 PM
King Oscar. :haha: :worship:

Garson007
06-13-2009, 05:55 PM
If I were Koellerer I'd punch Hernandez in the face, so he was quite reserved imo. It doesn't matter how Dani reacts during the game, that response was uncalled for.
Blasphemy! One does not second guess the king! :worship:

nastoff
06-13-2009, 06:04 PM
lol, why?
The king, you mean the guy who's able to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory like nobody else?

In any case, I like Dani, I think he's a good player and has made efforts to restrain himself on court after his recent ban so I wouldn't expect fireworks like these any time soon. He's a reformed man, now ;)

TMJordan
06-13-2009, 06:05 PM
Match of the year.

fast_clay
06-13-2009, 06:09 PM
there was a party in my pants when i saw this thread...

shotgun
06-13-2009, 06:11 PM

I agree. This time I hope Koellerer beats him and mocks him in the end. :D

Action Jackson
06-13-2009, 06:25 PM

So being an arse clown during a match and get mocked for being an arse clown, you'd punch the guy in the face. Simple, if he doesn't act like a dickhead in the match, then less likely he is going to have the piss taken out of him.

Snoo Foo
06-13-2009, 06:26 PM
if there is a god, there will be a ls of this

its.like.that
06-13-2009, 06:30 PM
Some classic Koellerer.

yxeDx8GL0N4

What is this awful language the reporter is speaking in?

Sounds like a cat throwing up.

Action Jackson
06-13-2009, 06:38 PM

That would be Brazilian Portuguese. The guy after the Oscar incident who asked Dani the question in English is Brazilian.

One of the incidents was in Buenos Aires where Koellerer laughed at del Potro crying at cramping up.

Arkulari
06-13-2009, 06:39 PM

Portuguese :rolleyes:

Crazy Dani :worship:

I've seen the guy in challengers in south america and he's so unclassy it is funny, the guy is the major clown on tournaments, everybody makes fun of him :rolls:

and for the King: thou shall not question the Lord :o

Everko
06-13-2009, 06:43 PM
Koeller should be banned from the ATP.

DartMarcus
06-13-2009, 07:15 PM
Dani, you are so baaaaaaaaad.
The King should take it.

Andre♥
06-13-2009, 07:29 PM
I hope this is in central court, but they will be sent to a secondary court in favor of 352 years old Sluiter...

out_here_grindin
06-13-2009, 09:08 PM
I really wish this match was on TV

delpiero7
06-13-2009, 10:05 PM
If this isn't on the show court, one of our Dutch friends has to go and take a video camera to record this classic.

Please :D

KarlyM
06-13-2009, 10:28 PM
Now this is what you call a blockbuster match! :yeah:

**prays for a livestream** :p

Burrow
06-13-2009, 10:41 PM
I hope this is in central court, but they will be sent to a secondary court in favor of 352 years old Sluiter...

sluiter is same age as Hernandez...

PiggyGotRoasted
06-13-2009, 10:51 PM
sluiter is same age as Hernandez...

Hernandez doesnt age, he has eternal life.

KoOlMaNsEaN
06-13-2009, 11:18 PM
How is he allowed to play on the tour like this :p
If I was the umpire I'd default him but of course I'm no fun

octatennis
06-14-2009, 12:00 AM
'u fuckin idiot'

GlennMirnyi
06-14-2009, 01:33 AM
Portuguese :rolleyes:

Crazy Dani :worship:

I've seen the guy in challengers in south america and he's so unclassy it is funny, the guy is the major clown on tournaments, everybody makes fun of him :rolls:

and for the King: thou shall not question the Lord :o

:lol:

Why the rolleyes?

It's not like Spanish is any better.

malisha
06-14-2009, 01:59 AM
Danny you better win this one
and then beat his ass

malisha
06-14-2009, 02:01 AM
One of the incidents was in Buenos Aires where Koellerer laughed at del Potro crying at cramping up.

:haha:
i wolud pay to see this

10K Futures Qualifier
06-14-2009, 02:07 AM
Hernandez doesnt age, he has eternal life.

the King is immortal.

out_here_grindin
06-14-2009, 02:15 AM
The King is merciful though, it will interesting to see how he handles the match.

Audacity
06-14-2009, 09:22 AM
Should be an absolute cracker!

JolánGagó
06-14-2009, 04:30 PM
WTF finally happened in this match?

Action Jackson
06-14-2009, 04:38 PM
WTF finally happened in this match?

Hasn't been played yet.

out_here_grindin
06-14-2009, 11:53 PM
The match of the year is tommorrow, no?

prima donna
06-15-2009, 01:24 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/columns/story?columnist=tandon_kamakshi&id=4141101

Tumult in the time of Koellerer

Comment (http://myespn.go.com/conversation/story?id=4141101) Email (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/columns/story?columnist=tandon_kamakshi&id=4141101#) Print (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/print?id=4141101&type=story) Share (http://javascript<b></b>:void(0);)
http://a.espncdn.com/i/columnists/Tandon_Kamakshi_35.jpg (http://search.espn.go.com/kamakshi-tandon/) By Kamakshi Tandon
Special to ESPN.com
Archive (http://search.espn.go.com/kamakshi-tandon/)

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0505/tennis_g_dkoellererts_576.jpgAlfredo Estrella/AFP/Getty ImagesAdversity and acrimony typically accompany Daniel Koellerer on the court.
Scheduling an interview with a player on the fringe of the top 100 usually isn't anything to be nervous about, but there definitely was a little apprehension before this one. Daniel Koellerer (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/players/profile?playerId=1041) is no ordinary journeyman, after all, but according to ATP lore, he is the scourge of the challenger circuit, the maniac of the minor leagues.

It seems Koellerer is a little apprehensive, too. What does she want to talk about? he quizzes the ATP official. Later, he'll deny this, but so indignantly, it's probably true.
The setting is March's BNP Paribas Open at Indian Wells, and Koellerer has just played -- and won -- his first match at a Masters-level tournament. In conversation, at least, he turns out to be frank and frequently engaging, though restless and occasionally combative. "Dull" certainly isn't in his vocabulary.

It's obvious what the main topic of discussion will be. Stories about "Crazy Dani" have become legend on tour and on the Internet -- tales of taunting opponents, insulting chair umpires, bullying ball kids. The most dramatic is the account of a locker room punch-up with the late Federico Luzzi (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/players/profile?playerId=185), prompted by Koellerer's spitting into his palm before shaking hands after their match.
For his part, Koellerer maintains that his reputation is greatly exaggerated. "You know, it's like one says, 'He got a code violation,'" he says, beginning a lengthy explanation. "The next one says, 'He got a code violation because he threw the ball.' The next says, 'He got a code violation because he threw the ball out and told the chair umpire he's an a------.' The next one says, 'OK, he got a code violation because he threw the ball out, told the chair umpire he's an a------ and told his opponent he's a stupid idiot.'

"Everybody puts a little bit inside, and finally it's almost a war."

Dual personality

So why did he get the code violation in the first place? Koellerer is reluctant to discuss specifics. Press him to describe some of his misdeeds, and the Austrian prefers to confess to speeding at 210 kilometers per hour on a national highway rather than admit doing anything during a match. "I'm not talking about on the court," he said. "I'm not interested in this."

His fellow pros are equally averse to discussing him -- all who were approached for interviews for this story turned down the request point-blank. The ATP Tour declined to make any umpires available for comment, saying it was against officiating rules to talk about individual players.
Type "Koellerer" into the ATP World Tour Web site, and the following message comes up: "The name which you have entered matches more than one player." But on the list below, there is only one entry: Koellerer, Daniel. Even the official database seems to think the 25-year-old has a bit of a dual personality.

Still, the general consensus is that Koellerer has improved from the wild days of yore. A few years ago, there was so much friction that players on the South American challenger circuit took the unprecedented step of circulating a petition to have him thrown off the tour. It garnered several dozen signatures, but no official action was taken.

"I saw which guys are on my side and which are not because out of 80 players, 75 signed," Koellerer said. "There are too many guys coming and saying, 'Hey, how are you?' this and that, 'Good job last week,' and when you turn, they are on your back with a knife in the hand."

Although he is less combustible these days, the mutual distrust continues -- the Austrian tends to keep his own company at tournaments and is said to have trouble finding hitting partners. He insists his standing among his colleagues doesn't bother him. "I don't care because I know I already changed a lot and I will not change for any tennis player," he said flatly. "If I change, I change for myself, because I want it, and not because they want it."

Koellerer is still a long way from winning any sportsmanship awards. A day after this interview, he played Andy Roddick (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/players/profile?playerId=436) in a televised night match without much incident. But he was just a little too demonstrative, just used a little gamesmanship, such as calling the trainer during a strategic stage of the second set. And combined with Koellerer's reputation, it was enough to get under Roddick's skin.

"I had heard some stuff going into the match, but I hadn't really seen him play at all before," Roddick said after winning that encounter. "He certainly tries hard. He never quit, you know. I'm not really sure that all that other stuff is super necessary. It'll probably lose you as many matches as it wins."

Roots of conflict

Koellerer is more forthcoming when asked about the source of his behavior rather than the behavior itself. "I have so much energy inside me, like 'boom' -- totally confusing myself," he said. "Since I was a kid."

He describes his confrontational habits as the product of a childhood coach who saw winning ugly as not just acceptable but necessary. "What I do sometimes now on the tennis court is because I got taught it from my first [serious] tennis coach -- to provoke, to show opponent the first, to make s--- on the court," Koellerer said. "When I didn't do it, then he was pissed. I had to practice more; I had to go to the gym on the bicycle; I had to run one hour more."

In his early teens, when he was big for his age, he was teased by other students at the tennis club in Linz, Austria.

"The colleagues I practiced with, they were making jokes about me because I was a little bit bigger; I had a little bit more weight than they had, but I beat them in tennis. And [the coach] was always making fun as well," Koellerer said. "Normally, it should be if there are two players against me, he should be at least in the middle and not also on their side."

There came a day when Koellerer reached his boiling point. "I punched one of the guys, and then I said, 'OK, now it's finished.' … I changed coach."

The emotional baggage left over from this period might explain why Koellerer has been something of a late bloomer. "Mentally, it made me tough," he said. "But it also took me down, because I had this s--- all the time in my head.
[+] Enlargehttp://a.espncdn.com/photo/2009/0505/ten_g_dkoellerer2_200.jpg (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/tennis/columns/story?columnist=tandon_kamakshi&id=4141101#) Alfredo Estrella/AFP/Getty ImagesDaniel Koellerer carries a lot of emotional baggage with him on the tennis court.

"Now I'm in the best age. I don't think about it, because I'm happy how it's working out now. If I would say, 'Maybe it would be, if this and that' -- then I get crazy."

Triumph and tragedy

The past year has been by far the best of his career. Two weeks ago, Koellerer fulfilled his long-held goal of breaking into the top 100 and immediately followed up by winning a small challenger event in Rome six days later, lifting himself even further to No. 85.

Sadly, the moment turned agonizingly bittersweet when his mother succumbed to her ongoing struggle against cancer while Koellerer was in the middle of his title run in Rome.

Serving for the match against Andreas Vinciguerra in the final, he received a warning from the umpire. For once, it was not for acting up, but a time violation because he had become too overcome with emotion to continue. Afterward, he dedicated the victory to his mother.

His mind may be far away from tennis at the moment, but it seems inevitable that the tragedy -- and its timing -- will have some professional impact: the biggest milestone of his career and the biggest loss of his 25-year-old life, all in the space of a week.
At Indian Wells, Koellerer had cited his parents as a source of unconditional support in a frequently hostile world. "They would never push me, you know," he said of their influence on his early tennis career. "They always supported me and said, 'OK, as long as you are happy, we are happy, too.'"

He also has been eagerly anticipating his rise into the top 100. "Mentally, it changes something, yeah," he said. "You know you're going to be in the main draw at the French Open and not play few rounds of qualies -- you save much more energy in your life as a tennis pro because there are not so many qualies anymore."

Apart from continuing to work on his serve and forehand, he declared himself "pretty happy" with his game and aimed to end the year ranked No. 70. He identified the key reason for his recent rise as mental -- an improvement in concentration alluding to the improvement in behavior.

"I am working by myself very hard mentally. I put some bad things in my mind, what happened, and then I replay it again how to make it better -- how you react if the guy is lucky in an important point, if you're unlucky at important points, how you act if there is a bad call," he said.
Then he added ruefully, "The thing with the bad call, I'm not so good at the moment."

He continued, turning philosophical. "Mental things, they will never finish in your life. Today I make 10 mistakes, and tomorrow I will make not even one mistake which I made today, but I will make 10 other ones, you know? And it's like this because nobody's perfect. But for me, it's tough to handle them because I want to be perfect, or close, and if it's not working out, I'm getting nuts."

After the roller coaster of the past fortnight, that challenge takes on an even greater poignancy.

Kamakshi Tandon is a freelance tennis writer for ESPN.com.

Har-Tru
06-15-2009, 01:28 AM
:lol:

Why the rolleyes?

It's not like Spanish is any better.

yes it is.

And how is this the match of the season? It's clearly the match of the century.

miura
06-15-2009, 01:30 AM
Haha, this is going to be good!

Sheva
06-15-2009, 01:49 AM
Good thing I will be heading to Rosmalen tomorrow! :D:rolls:

JMG
06-15-2009, 09:45 AM
Oscar dropped to 1.15.

dijus
06-15-2009, 09:48 AM
Fishy match

Bilbo
06-15-2009, 10:01 AM
enjoy it while you can, george

you won't be around at the end of the week like always when the top players fighting for the title

Bilbo
06-15-2009, 10:03 AM
Fishy match

hardly surprising

hernandez is a known fixer. makes it even more surprising how he has any fans on this forum.

martine2
06-15-2009, 10:12 AM
If only I could have a livestream for this match :sobbing:

Action Jackson
06-15-2009, 10:30 AM
enjoy it while you can, george

you won't be around at the end of the week like always when the top players fighting for the title

Like your hero MJ, Beat it.

dijus
06-15-2009, 11:04 AM
http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/6062/moneybtz.jpg

Björki
06-15-2009, 11:20 AM
King Oscar is just to good :D

PiggyGotRoasted
06-13-2011, 12:35 AM
Bump :D

SVK
06-13-2011, 07:33 AM
Lol:spit:

Shame that this match finished already before it started:rolleyes:

And it wasn´t streamed:crying2:

Fat Camel
06-13-2011, 11:14 AM
He, when i first looked at this thread, i thought Koellerer can play tennis again :)