Nadal Humbled After RG: Not Worried About Losing No. 1 Ranking..... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Nadal Humbled After RG: Not Worried About Losing No. 1 Ranking.....

The Oracle
06-14-2009, 06:21 PM
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article6455384.ece?token=null&offset=0&page=1
“I have achieved all my dreams. My desire to win and the passion is still there, so too is my wish to keep practising and improving. But I am aware that once you get to No 1 in the world, the only way is down. Whether it is tomorrow, next year or in five years’ time, it will happen.
“But that is something that doesn’t worry me, because that is the nature of sport. If you are not prepared to lose and accept defeat, then you shouldn’t be playing. I know that I’ve been very fortunate, and if it all ends now, I’ve had a fantastic career and the privilege to live a life that most people never have the chance to experience. I will get my rod and go fishing.”

Copyright 2009 Times Newspapers Ltd.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think it is clear..............I personally think that he is conceding that his no. 1 ranking will soon be taken out of his hand.......I think very soon.

Very interesting interview though..........still........his drive and passion are what amaze me..that's why I luv him:worship::worship:

You are still no. 1 right now Nadal.......so savor it:)...........

kaylee
06-14-2009, 06:31 PM
well Roger lost it ater 5 years and so on of course it is inevitable that he will lose it however I don't see any time soon. After Wimbledon there are not too many points to defend and Roger has a lot also there is Murray looming in the wings. This is going to be an interesting summer!

trixtah
06-14-2009, 06:35 PM
how does this imply that he has conceded that he'll lose the spot soon?

tennizen
06-14-2009, 06:37 PM
The last time Nadal conceded he will lose the # 2 spot, we know what happened.

decrepitude
06-14-2009, 06:40 PM
The last time Nadal conceded he will lose the # 2 spot, we know what happened.

True - he lost #2 by going up to #1, but this time he can't go higher than #1, can he?

Mechlan
06-14-2009, 06:41 PM
Article title:

Rafael Nadal puts success down to home comforts and a quiet life

The Oracle's translation:

Nadal Has Conceded He Will Lose No. 1 Soon.

Seriously, is your reading comprehension that bad or are you just trolling?

tennizen
06-14-2009, 06:42 PM
True - he lost #2 by going up to #1, but this time he can't go higher than #1, can he?

They will create a super 1 spot for him:lol:

The Oracle
06-14-2009, 06:42 PM
how does this imply that he has conceded that he'll lose the spot soon?
What do you the question from the reporter would be...........

I would assume the following....

Q: You are now going into Wimbledon as the defending Champion. However, Roger Federer has just won French Open and looks to be the favourite to win Wimbledon again given his past records on grass. Are you worried that you will lose your no. 1 ranking soon.

A: My drive and passion are still there.........so on so on.....

Har-Tru
06-14-2009, 06:44 PM
awful thread title

The Oracle
06-14-2009, 06:44 PM
Article title:

Rafael Nadal puts success down to home comforts and a quiet life

The Oracle's translation:

Nadal Has Conceded He Will Lose No. 1 Soon.

Seriously, is your reading comprehension that bad or are you just trolling?
YOU ARE THE ONE THAT'S TROLLING:rolleyes:

I simply said that he has conceded that he may have to give up no. 1 ranking soon from the way he says it...........dont you get it?......he said that he does not "worry about it"....worry about what?.....my goodness........you must be blind....otherwise why cant you read...

habibko
06-14-2009, 06:47 PM
he didn't say he will lose it soon, he said of course he is going to lose it sooner or later, this thread is a waste of time.

Snoo Foo
06-14-2009, 06:48 PM
:scratch: compare: "I might clean my apartment tomorrow, next year or in five years' time." Does that sound like soon?

The Oracle
06-14-2009, 06:49 PM
he didn't say he will lose it soon, he said of course he is going to lose it sooner or later, this thread is a waste of time.
I disagree.........only if there is a possibility of him losing it will this ever be an issue.

Have you see Federer saying that in 2006 or 2007 after winning Wimbledon "I realize I'm ranked No. 1 in the world, however, I also realize that the only way is down, so losing the top ranking does not worry me". Of course not.

The reporter obviously asked him something similar to "are you worried you will lose it soon" for him to respond accordingly.

Mechlan

Q: You are now going into Wimbledon as the defending Champion. However, Roger Federer has just won French Open and looks to be the favourite to win Wimbledon again given his past records on grass. Are you worried that you will lose your no. 1 ranking soon.

Couldn't it also be:

Q: You've won Wimbledon, the Australian Open, and are now ranked #1 in the world. Where do you go from here?

True, he should just have mentioned his goal to get that super #1 spot, but the guy's just that humble. :shrug:

duong
He identifies the principal threat to his Wimbledon crown as Britain’s Andy Murray

No single word about Federer.

don't think that these words are innocent ;)

The British media are crazy and the Nadals know it ;)

The Oracle
06-14-2009, 06:51 PM
No single word about Federer.

don't think that these words are innocent ;)

The British media are crazy and the Nadals know it ;)
Well........I didnt want to bring that up cuz I know how hyped people are already saying Murray has been:angel:

However, we all know now that Murray is now ahead of Nadal as the favourite to win, so I am uncertain of that statement's relevance;).

duong
06-14-2009, 06:55 PM
Well........I didnt want to bring that up cuz I know how hyped people are already saying Murray has been:angel:

However, we all know now that Murray is now ahead of Nadal as the favourite to win, so I am uncertain of that statement's relevance;).

Nadal tries his best to let this hype grow ;)

Rafattack
06-14-2009, 06:59 PM

No, but that's maths mate and not the point! The point tennizen is making is that the last time Nadal's ranking position was in any kind of jeopardy he retained a formidable stronghold on it and moved up to where he is now. So too is the case he is arguing could happen with his current stronghold as the World No.1!

trixtah
06-14-2009, 07:04 PM

No covering your tracks here, the original link you had doesn't have any of that in it. Also, he never stated anything about losing the rank soon, that was in the question.

cobalt60
06-14-2009, 07:08 PM
[QUOTE=The Oracle;8719937]http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article6455384.ece?token=null&offset=0&page=1
“I have achieved all my dreams. My desire to win and the passion is still there, so too is my wish to keep practising and improving. But I am aware that once you get to No 1 in the world, the only way is down. Whether it is tomorrow, next year or in five years’ time, it will happen.
“But that is something that doesn’t worry me, because that is the nature of sport. If you are not prepared to lose and accept defeat, then you shouldn’t be playing. I know that I’ve been very fortunate, and if it all ends now, I’ve had a fantastic career and the privilege to live a life that most people never have the chance to experience. I will get my rod and go fishing.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- QUOTE]

Sounds like a very mature, realistic young man to me. Amazes me that with all the egos in the tennis world, this young man is so down to earth. And he certainly does not need to be does he;)

The Oracle
06-14-2009, 07:10 PM
No covering your tracks here, the original link you had doesn't have any of that in it. Also, he never stated anything about losing the rank soon, that was in the question.
"Losing the ranking soon" or otherwise........the issue here is that what he is answering is the question of him worrying about losing his no. 1 ranking........I think it is very clear. What kind of other questions would he answer when he says....oh........ya....I'm no. 1 today, but I dont worry about losing that ranking.........unless being asked "how long do you expecting holding onto no. 1 with Federer holding it for 237 weeks", or "how would you feel if Federer take no. 1 ranking back from you.".

You are right, these questions were never explicitly cited in the article, but I think his attitudes towards his no.1 ranking are clearly shown here.

cobalt60
06-14-2009, 07:12 PM
"Losing the ranking soon" or otherwise........the issue here is that what he is answering is the question of him worrying about losing his no. 1 ranking........I think it is very clear. What kind of other questions would he answer when he says....oh........ya....I'm no. 1 today, but I dont worry about losing that ranking.........unless being asked "how long do you expecting holding onto no. 1 with Federer holding it for 237 weeks", or "how would you feel if Federer take no. 1 ranking back from you.".

You are right, these questions were never explicitly cited in the article, but I think his attitudes towards his no.1 ranking are clearly shown here.

It is all perception though.

ballbasher101
06-14-2009, 07:13 PM
Nadal can't take the heat :o.

luie
06-14-2009, 07:21 PM
Who's fedmug anyway.

FedFan_2007
06-14-2009, 08:51 PM
Nadal is simply stating facts - he has a lot of points to defend the next 2 months and it will be very difficult to keep the #1 ranking. Especially since 800 points for gold medal simply vanish.

MrChopin
06-14-2009, 08:58 PM
I liked the quote from Neil Harman about Nadal:

(a) Having 3-4 years until his peak.
(b) Already being in the Top 5 tennis players of all time.

Good stuff.

Jaz
06-14-2009, 09:36 PM
Some clever game playing by Nadal here, a small injury being hyped, and feeding the media like he is going to lose...

l_mac
06-14-2009, 09:50 PM
tennizen was talking about when he said it was "logical" that he would lose the #2 ranking to Nole last spring.
I liked the quote from Neil Harman about Nadal:

(a) Having 3-4 years until his peak.
(b) Already being in the Top 5 tennis players of all time.

Good stuff.
:lol:

Neil Harman, it has to be said, absolutely adrores Nadal, and I can't imagine there is another English language tennis writer that has a better relationship with him. :worship:

I am disappointed that you would lump the point about not peaking yet in with the Top 5 of all time :spit: :haha: I assume you are one of the haters experts who know Nadal has already peaked?
Some clever game playing by Nadal here, a small injury being hyped, and feeding the media like he is going to lose...

Yes, Nadal is a media genius. He combines this, brilliantly, with being very, very stupid. Sort of like how he combines ball bashing and pushing :worship:

edit: I read this on Friday and deemed it not worthy of a GM thread.

I think we should decide as a collective that I am the final authority on what interviews are GM worthy, no? (Apart from :zzz: crap about retired players, Georgie can keep doing them)

The Oracle
06-14-2009, 09:58 PM
edit: I read this on Friday and deemed it not worthy of a GM thread.
Interview was published on Friday......:)

Either way........I guess it's not worth mentioning....Nadal has peaked and I think he is having a burnt out too.

optimism
06-14-2009, 10:10 PM
The Nadal off court is really down to earth, which I like and respect.

(Have to point out that Nadal drives a Kia because he's paid to do so, not because he doesn't like fancy cars;))

Certinfy
06-14-2009, 10:11 PM
bye bye Rafa

michellej
06-14-2009, 10:39 PM
[QUOTE=optimism;8720861]The Nadal off court is really down to earth, which I like and respect.

(Have to point out that Nadal drives a Kia because he's paid to do so, not because he doesn't like fancy cars;))[/QUOTE

Nadal said from Day 1 of being #1 that he didn't expect to be #1 for a long time and he found being #2 just fine.

Nadal traded in his Kia Sorrento for an Aston Martin DBS When they see that car in Manicore, they know who's driving it!

NADAL'S CAR

http://l.images.easyautosales.com/2009-Aston-Martin-DBS-5763367-535.jpg

miura
06-14-2009, 10:50 PM
He bought a DBS? I'll guess we'll have another accident after Wimbledon then :lol:

l_mac
06-14-2009, 10:51 PM
Why? He's had the car since last year. :confused:

Acer
06-14-2009, 10:56 PM
well Roger lost it ater 5 years and so on of course it is inevitable that he will lose it however I don't see any time soon. After Wimbledon there are not too many points to defend and Roger has a lot also there is Murray looming in the wings. This is going to be an interesting summer!

Roger has a lot to defend but also R2 and R3 to improve on in Canada and Cincinnati.

michellej
06-14-2009, 10:59 PM
So Ok he bought the car in 08 and got rid of the Kia then, I don't follow cars the way you guys do.

Cost of an 09 DBS $269,993 USD

miura
06-14-2009, 11:01 PM
Why? He's had the car since last year. :confused:
If I'm not mistaken, he drove of the road after Wimbledon 2006 on Mallorca. The DBS is a beast of a car and surely if you're a bit agressive on those bends things can get nasty. Especially for a casual driver like Nadal. I reckon he is mostly driven around and only does a bit of driving when he's at home.

TennisGrandSlam
06-14-2009, 11:01 PM
I can only say :

Stress is not in Roger's side.

l_mac
06-14-2009, 11:02 PM
So Ok he bought the car in 08 and got rid of the Kia then, I don't follow cars the way you guys do.

Cost of an 09 DBS $269,993 USD

He didn't get rid of the KIA. He still drives it.

:confused:

TMJordan
06-14-2009, 11:02 PM
Rafa has a KIA? :D

miura
06-14-2009, 11:03 PM
Haha, it must be agonising to drive around in a KIA when you've got as much money as Nadal :lol:

l_mac
06-14-2009, 11:03 PM
If I'm not mistaken, he drove of the road after Wimbledon 2006 on Mallorca. The DBS is a beast of a car and surely if you're a bit agressive on those bends things can get nasty. Especially for a casual driver like Nadal. I reckon he is mostly driven around and only does a bit of driving when he's at home.

I just wonder why you think he will have an accident after Wimbledon, when he's (allegedly) been driving it around for about 7/8 months now.

I see now you were making a hilarious "joke".

miura
06-14-2009, 11:04 PM
I think he is sponsored by KIA. They probably give him cars now and then and offer a driver service in various locations he is playing tournaments.

l_mac
06-14-2009, 11:04 PM

:)

miura
06-14-2009, 11:06 PM
I just wonder why you think he will have an accident after Wimbledon, when he's (allegedly) been driving it around for about 7/8 months now.

I see now you were making a hilarious "joke".
I'm not joking. I imagine he hasn't done all that much of driving seeing as he is a very busy guy, so driving a DBS on tight spanish roads can turn ugly if you're not careful!

l_mac
06-14-2009, 11:08 PM
I'm not joking. I imagine he hasn't done all that much of driving seeing as he is a very busy guy, so driving a DBS on tight spanish roads can turn ugly if you're not careful!

But he's already been driving it for months.

I hope you weren't wishing him hurt.

miura
06-14-2009, 11:14 PM
But he's already been driving it for months.

I hope you weren't wishing him hurt.
Of course I wouldn't want him to get hurt. What kind of person do you think I am?

As long as he is careful and keeps the traction control on when he is driving on those bendy routes around his home everything will be fine. A lot of rich people including footballers who buy supercars tend to have accidents now and then because they think they're much better to drive than they actually are. Such cars requires the upmost respect.

I do have to compliment Rafa on that particular choice of car. It's a lovely vehicle, absolutely stunning. I've been so lucky to seen a couple and I can tell you the sound that V12 engine makes makes my spine rattle!

michellej
06-14-2009, 11:27 PM
He didn't get rid of the KIA. He still drives it.

:confused:

I told you I don't folow cars like you guys do. Kia's good on gas and has a 5/5 warranty. That's probably why he's kept it. Those Nadals are smart with money.

miura
06-14-2009, 11:31 PM
I told you I don't folow cars like you guys do. Kia's good on gas and has a 5/5 warranty. That's probably why he's kept it. Those Nadals are smart with money.
Haha, I don't think that's the reason he keeps the KIA. It's purely for sponsor reasons. The wheelarches on the DBS alone are worth more than any KIA :rolls:

theDreamer
06-14-2009, 11:55 PM
Couldn't it also be:

Q: You've won Wimbledon, the Australian Open, and are now ranked #1 in the world. Where do you go from here?

True, he should just have mentioned his goal to get that super #1 spot, but the guy's just that humble. :shrug:

:lol::lol:

michellej
06-14-2009, 11:56 PM
Haha, I don't think that's the reason he keeps the KIA. It's purely for sponsor reasons. The wheelarches on the DBS alone are worth more than any KIA :rolls:

The wheelarches. The WHAT? I had an Ausitn Healy Sprite with a tonneau cover. And an MGB/GT. I think that ranks right up there wish wheelarches, whatever they may be.

miura
06-15-2009, 12:01 AM
The wheelarches. The WHAT? I had an Ausitn Healy Sprite with a tonneau cover. And an MGB/GT. I think that ranks right up there wish wheelarches, whatever they may be.
Lightweight hand made alloys with high-performance run-flat Pirelli PZero tires made only for this particular car. Those don't come cheap. I reckon thy are worth in about £20,000. No I'm not kidding!

littleash
06-15-2009, 12:13 AM
then you should be polite to that cameraman after you lost your match at French Open. :lol:

Corey Feldman
06-15-2009, 12:14 AM
then you should be polite to that cameraman after you lost your match at French Open. :lol::lol::lol:

The Oracle
06-15-2009, 07:55 PM
then you should be polite to that cameraman after you lost your match at French Open. :lol:
:)....ah well...........you know what......i'm sure Nadal already forgot all of that........i dont know but he will lose all of his star quality once he concedes no. 1 ranking to Federer.

Certinfy
06-15-2009, 07:56 PM
What did Nadal do to the camera man?

FedFan_2007
06-15-2009, 07:57 PM
:)....ah well...........you know what......i'm sure Nadal already forgot all of that........i dont know but he will lose all of his star quality once he concedes no. 1 ranking to Federer.

Nonsense. Did Roger cease being a superstar when he fell to #2? :retard:

The Oracle
06-15-2009, 08:03 PM
Nonsense. Did Roger cease being a superstar when he fell to #2? :retard:
Until he won French Open......most people have been writing him off as former No. 1 player on the decline.............

But of course......different perspectives.........who do you mean by superstar?
In my opinion, Nadal has gotten most of the attention since he won gold and become no. 1 while Federer's slam win at US Open is significantly under-covered. Hyped or otherwise, Nadal's reign at no. 1 gave him the chance to outshine Federer.

FedFan_2007
06-15-2009, 08:06 PM
Until he won French Open......most people have been writing him off as former No. 1 player on the decline.............

But of course......different perspectives.........who do you mean by superstar?
In my opinion, Nadal has gotten most of the attention since he won gold and become no. 1 while Federer's slam win at US Open is significantly under-covered. Hyped or otherwise, Nadal's reign at no. 1 gave him the chance to outshine Federer.

Media-wise Roger was still getting PLENTY of attention after August 18th, then he won the US Open to get some of that star-mojo back. Even as #2, Roger still gives the longest interviews then anyone. Sure Rafa's endorsement have gone up, but not at Roger's expense. Remember we're also in a down economy.

The Oracle
06-20-2009, 04:53 PM
Media-wise Roger was still getting PLENTY of attention after August 18th, then he won the US Open to get some of that star-mojo back. Even as #2, Roger still gives the longest interviews then anyone. Sure Rafa's endorsement have gone up, but not at Roger's expense. Remember we're also in a down economy.
I have to say though that people have short memories, at least Nadal acknowledges that his "reign" would not be lasting. (just think Mark P.)

However, it would appear to me that he is conceding his no. 1 ranking shortly.

tangerine_dream
06-20-2009, 04:56 PM
He was just following in the footsteps of his hero after watching classy Roger diss a TV legend for an interview after losing his match at the 2006 French Open. :lol:

sawan66278
06-20-2009, 05:05 PM

Polite? The man wanted Rafa to sign the camera lens...AFTER the most disappointing loss of his career. The cameraman should have been fired right on the spot.:mad:

Fabilicious
06-20-2009, 05:22 PM
[QUOTE=The Oracle;8719937]http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/tennis/article6455384.ece?token=null&offset=0&page=1

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- QUOTE]

Sounds like a very mature, realistic young man to me. Amazes me that with all the egos in the tennis world, this young man is so down to earth. And he certainly does not need to be does he;)

Right Man, totally agree!!!

The Oracle
06-21-2009, 06:07 AM
[quote=cobalt60;8720131]

Right Man, totally agree!!!
:)

See.....I dont see any problem of supporting Nadal because I know he wants to win.

But I think his fans should realize the same thing that you cannot be no. 1 forever. You may have year for, say, four years, but you still gotta give it up someday.

While people are still refusing to believe it is a concession....but they will soon have to, just as well, concede.