Is the crowd at Queens [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Is the crowd at Queens

green25814
06-14-2009, 02:09 PM
entirely made up of members of the British Royal family?

There has to be some reason why they are the stiffest, poshest looking people i've ever seen in my life. Its like watching a tournament in the 17th century.

Kore
06-14-2009, 02:11 PM
I have no idea! I dont think they let any other brits in. only the snobbiest, poshest ones.

delpiero7
06-14-2009, 02:30 PM
I have no idea! I dont think they let any other brits in. only the snobbiest, poshest ones.

I turned up in a full Nike tracksuit, large gold chain around my neck and a cigarette behind my ear. Barstewards wouldn't let me in :(

norwegian_wood
06-14-2009, 02:37 PM
No. All your absolute average Brit off the street. :p

green25814
06-14-2009, 02:39 PM
No. All your absolute average Brit off the street. :p

Really? :retard: They dont look like my British friends :lol:

Certinfy
06-14-2009, 02:41 PM
No, my American and Polish friends went.

rhinooooo
06-14-2009, 02:46 PM
Scumbag crowd in general.

Goldenoldie
06-14-2009, 02:47 PM
entirely made up of members of the British Royal family?

There has to be some reason why they are the stiffest, poshest looking people i've ever seen in my life. Its like watching a tournament in the 17th century.

Why else would it be called Queens?:D

Kore
06-14-2009, 02:56 PM
The Queen should be there to present the trophy since its called after her. Not the Duchess of nobodyknowsville

Action Jackson
06-14-2009, 03:01 PM
Scumbag crowd in general.

You mean yuppie scum.

Andi-M
06-14-2009, 03:03 PM
Bunch of Chavs. :p

timafi
06-14-2009, 03:05 PM
was nice to hear them boo a little:devil: :lol:

tennishero
06-14-2009, 03:48 PM
its hardly surprising considering the amount they charge for centre court and court 1, let alone the rest of the courts. unfortunately this tournament is cattered to the wealthy upper class.

cherry@cupcake
06-14-2009, 03:48 PM
Years ago I joined the mailing list for the (then) Stella Artois tournament.

You know when you have to put in your title, and there's normally a little drop down box with Mr/Mrs/Miss/Ms? Well, at Queen's club, the little drop down box includes the following options: King, Queen, Princess, Prince, Duke, Duchess...etc. Not sure if it's still the same now that Aegon have taken over the championships, but it sure was the case a few years ago.

As to the club itself: I was there yesterday, so they do let normal people in. Trouble is, you're far outnumbered by the society crowd who are there to be seen. The minute the Murray match finished yesterday they were deserting the courts to go the (private) buffet. Watch the coverage closely: it looks like they were standing up to applaud his win, but trust me, they weren't. They didn't even bother with the post-match interview.

The atmosphere at Wimbledon is nowhere near as bad. Queen's Club represents everything that's rotten in British tennis and explains a great deal about why we don't have more professional players. :(

PiggyGotRoasted
06-14-2009, 04:00 PM
Why is queens club so snobby?

Its an upper class tennis club in the middle of london

Thats why

decrepitude
06-14-2009, 04:07 PM
Not helped by the fact that BBC interviews were carried out in the Members' stand. You have to be rich or titled (preferably both)to be a member there. If they had done their interviews in the opposite stand I'm willing to bet the accents would be a lot less posh!

norwegian_wood
06-14-2009, 04:14 PM
It's also a privately owned club now; hence the joining fee being £13,000 or there abouts. :lol: :rolleyes:

prima donna
06-14-2009, 04:15 PM
So what ?

rocketassist
Our tournaments need to be Parisized with hostile ****s.

miura
It's better than in Paris anyway.

reece
06-14-2009, 04:24 PM
well I was just there, and I'm not snobby.

MacTheKnife
06-14-2009, 04:47 PM
To subdued for my liking.

exoneuk
06-14-2009, 04:51 PM
I sat here thinking "isn't that a horrifically stereotypical view of British tennis?"

But then I see the point you're making. The televised crowd appeared to be the upper classes but that was the only bit of the crowd we saw. It was nothing like that at Nottingham over the last ten years. There was a real mix of people there (which is why I am still monumentally pissed off that they moved it down to Eastbourne, God's waiting room...) and it was nice and relaxed. There's a part of me that doesn't want to make the trip down to Queen's to watch it. I just don't think it would be the same.

At least there's a crowd - wait til Wimby starts when you have a massive gap for corporate twats that remains empty for the duration of the tournament (until the men's final when they suddenly appear out of nowhere)

miura
06-14-2009, 04:54 PM
What's wrong about the upper class audience? They're not booing, yelling, wearing stupid hats or causing riots. They are simply enjoying a nice match of tennis. Nothing wrong about that at all.

Ilovetheblues_86
06-14-2009, 04:59 PM
The best crowd ever. This lads know what is CLASS, bitches!

Cloudygirl
06-14-2009, 05:00 PM
They interviewed a load of annoying toffs thats why. I think they were busier drinking pimms than cheering our Andy.

fast_clay
06-14-2009, 05:02 PM
it is better this way believe me... the atmosphere is more pleasant in london and south of... nottingham lost its tournament because females from other countries were being repeatedly groped in the stands, while local commoners could be seen chucking browneyes at visitors on the tournament site... the further north you go, the worse it gets...

scotland should never be allowed to host a professional tennis event...

MurrayFan1
06-14-2009, 05:03 PM
John Inverdale's interviews with the three, fat, prissy twits as Ross Geller would say were SO funny!

This represents the stereotypical view of tennis as a snobby, upper class gents game.

The actual tennis is always good to watch though.

GlennMirnyi
06-14-2009, 05:07 PM
If you don't like it, you can do one (or all) of the following:

a) shove it;
b) go watch football.

prima donna
06-14-2009, 05:35 PM
If you don't like it, you can do one (or all) of the following:

a) shove it;
b) go watch football.
Exactly. I was reminded last year during the Wimbledon final as loud cheers rang out from the stands of the great extent to which tennis has descended into crass, low-brow entertainment. I'd prefer a crowd of well-behaved, effete snobs who applaud each point in a nonchalant fashion as opposed to inebriated children.

rhinooooo
06-14-2009, 06:20 PM
;)

http://www.aegonchampionships.com/3/tickets/tickets.asp For Queens. Been a couple of times.

Also went yesterday. I'd try for Wimbledon if I were you. Even groundpasses in the first round, you'll get to see alot of players, nicer experience too.

For one ticket to Queens Centre Court early round you could have got two tickets for the French Open showcourts in the early rounds.

It's not even the money that's the problem, it's the shithouse excuse for people that go. The crowd and people there are incredibly snotty, no atmosphere, just rubs me the wrong way. If you want to see old no-clue mugs sipping champagne while trying to pronounce some foreigners name, or some annoying teenagers loud conversations consisting of 'like, like, like' after every second word, and annoying kids getting a signature on their shirt and face from anyone with a racket bag, whilst shouting 'I'm on fire'... then head down to Queens.