If Nadal Falls to World No. 3 After 200+ Weeks of Federer-Nadal Rivalry....... [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

If Nadal Falls to World No. 3 After 200+ Weeks of Federer-Nadal Rivalry.......

The Oracle
06-14-2009, 07:12 AM
(Nadal replaced Roddick as no. 2 in 2005) and Federer about to turn thirty..........does this mean that we will have to look for a new rivalry?.........

Are you guys sad or are you guys excited?

What is the next rivalry?..........it now looks like Nadal vs. Murray rivalry coming up.....I dont know......but I kinda miss the Federer-Nadal rivalry......

duong
06-14-2009, 08:01 AM
First Nadal is number 1 in the Race by far and he can become number 2 in the short term, but to become number 3, you will have to wait more, maybe far more.

Personally I'm more sad that I get old myself :sad:

But you should not really be sad of getting old : that's a natural process of life :shrug:, the feeling is more complicated.

Anyway, I don't think you should really be sad of getting old.

It's rather sad that you get injured (Nadal)

or that you realize that you missed by little an important achievement for you (the calendar slam -twice- for Federer).

Generally speaking, I mean you cannot be sad that a 2-player rivalry may become a 4 (and soon 5) player-rivalry.

But you can be sad that you realize that two of these players might not be at their top anymore except for short periods.

So far, in the Race, Nadal is number 1 by far, Federer is number 2 by far.

And the others are chasing : their hope is that the first two may not be at their top anymore (at least for Federer it's certain).

And that they get better themselves of course.

For the answer, I think Murray or Djokovic will be number 1 before next year.

But anyway, the future between these 5 (add Del Potro) is more difficult to predict than the past.

Goldenoldie
06-14-2009, 08:04 AM
This is looking too far ahead. It may never happen.

vamosinator
06-14-2009, 08:21 AM
I think Del Potro and Murray have the best chance of replacing Federer at number 2, but neither are particularly consistent in the slams so they won't rival Nadal. I think Federer will keep meeting Nadal in slam Finals even if Federer drops out of the top 2, but I wouldn't call him a 'rival' for Nadal, its too one-sided. Let's just call Federer 'Nadal's favorite opponent':o

duong
06-14-2009, 08:30 AM
I think Del Potro and Murray have the best chance of replacing Federer at number 2, but neither are particularly consistent in the slams so they won't rival Nadal. I think Federer will keep meeting Nadal in slam Finals even if Federer drops out of the top 2, but I wouldn't call him a 'rival' for Nadal, its too one-sided. Let's just call Federer 'Nadal's favorite opponent':o

yes Söderling, Del Potro and Monfils are Nadal's rival :devil:

Del Potro may not be at the top yet, but he's consistent, including in the slams.

vamosinator
06-14-2009, 08:33 AM
yes Söderling, Del Potro and Monfils are Nadal's rival :devil:

Del Potro may not be at the top yet, but he's consistent, including in the slams.

I guess I consider consistent meaning you make the semi in every slam, whereas Del Potro has only ever made one semi, so thats the opposite of consistent. Whoever is Nadal's next rival (or FIRST rival if we never counted Federer as a rival) would have to be someone who regularly at least makes GS semis:o

duong
06-14-2009, 08:38 AM
I guess I consider consistent meaning you make the semi in every slam, whereas Del Potro has only ever made one semi, so thats the opposite of consistent. Whoever is Nadal's next rival (or FIRST rival if we never counted Federer as a rival) would have to be someone who regularly at least makes GS semis:o

in that prospect Nadal only became Federer's rival in 2007 :devil:

That leaves the possibility for JMDP for winning several grand slams and beating Nadal numerous times even before becoming a rival ;)

Anyway, we will see but I don't think that Nadal will be happy to meet Del Potro in the future, and I think that's one important definition of rivalry ;)

vamosinator
06-14-2009, 08:52 AM
Well you "don't think that Nadal will be happy to meet Del Potro in the future" but that has nothing to do with Nadal's actual view on Del Potro. It is clear from their head2head that Nadal's style of play works well against Del Potro. And while Del Potro continues to not make GS Finals and only so far one semi there is little chance of them meeting in grand slams anyway:o

duong
06-14-2009, 09:03 AM
It is clear from their head2head that Nadal's style of play works well against Del Potro.

:haha: we will see ;)

CmonAussie
06-14-2009, 09:06 AM
~~~
It will never happen,, as long as you and i are breathing on this planet Federer & Nadal will continue their duopoly of the universe! "I am power"<:)

vamosinator
06-14-2009, 09:06 AM
:haha: we will see ;)

I've already seen, Nadal leads 4-1:o

Del Potro's one win was 7-6 3rd set:o

duong
06-14-2009, 09:43 AM
I've already seen, Nadal leads 4-1:o

Del Potro's one win was 7-6 3rd set:o

JMDP is less than 21 years old and 1.98 m tall.

Becoming a great player with such a tallness is a very big challenge which needs a lot of work.

Anyway, I just say that I really think he will be a big challenge to Nadal especially. And to all the others of course.

I may also be wrong of course, especially as this "tallness challenge" is huge for his body.

Anyway, I think Nadal is more worried about his body than about his rivals.

And Federer is the same, I think.

born_on_clay
06-14-2009, 11:43 AM
It's far more possible that Federer will drop to number 3 or even 4 soon
:lol:

The Oracle
06-20-2009, 01:40 AM
I think you are joking...:D

Sunset of Age
06-21-2009, 01:03 AM
Keep it coming. :worship:
You make Simon Reed look like a sane person. :yeah:

tea
06-21-2009, 01:11 AM
(Nadal replaced Roddick as no. 2 in 2005) and Federer about to turn thirty..........does this mean that we will have to look for a new rivalry?.........

What is the next rivalry?..........it now looks like Nadal vs. Murray rivalry coming up.....I dont know......but I kinda miss the Federer-Nadal rivalry......

I am happy.:) Federer-Murray is the next rivalry.:worship:

guga2120
06-21-2009, 01:44 AM
He certainly could fall to #3. It just depends on how long he's gone. He would just start beating Roger in SF's instead of F's if that were to happen.

I am happy.:) Federer-Murray is the next rivalry.:worship:

Murray, has won the last 4, so Roger, better start beating him for this to be rivalry.

sawan66278
06-21-2009, 01:51 AM
First Nadal is number 1 in the Race by far and he can become number 2 in the short term, but to become number 3, you will have to wait more, maybe far more.

But you should not really be sad of getting old : that's a natural process of life :shrug:, the feeling is more complicated.

or that you realize that you missed by little an important achievement for you (the calendar slam -twice- for Federer).

Generally speaking, I mean you cannot be sad that a 2-player rivalry may become a 4 (and soon 5) player-rivalry.

But you can be sad that you realize that two of these players might not be at their top anymore except for short periods.

And the others are chasing : their hope is that the first two may not be at their top anymore (at least for Federer it's certain).

But anyway, the future between these 5 (add Del Potro) is more difficult to predict than the past.

So, is it the race ending that determines the final ranks?

FedFan_2007
06-21-2009, 01:58 AM
born_on_clay is upping the ante when it comes to the idea of being "born stupid".

MacTheKnife
06-21-2009, 02:05 AM
born_on_clay is upping the ante when it comes to the idea of being "born stupid".

Some just don't have to extend any effort at all to attain stupidity, just sit down at a computer, start typing, and out it comes. ;)

superslam77
06-21-2009, 06:11 AM

that's like saying nadaul is about to turn 26

Arkulari
06-21-2009, 09:35 AM
Roger is about to turn 28, and with his fitness level I think he can play about 6 more years, he has survived three generations of players and is going for his fourth ;)

Roger_Federer1
06-21-2009, 09:57 AM
Do you think Nadal and Federer is perhaps now the greatest rivalry in men's tennis? We have seen some fantastic encounters with Bjorg v McEnroe, Sampras v Agassi and Becker v Edberg but the dominance of these two is truely spell binding and setting new standards in tennis. The Wimbledon final of 2009 was perhaps the greatest game of all time and Federer is the undisputed greatest player of all time and yet he is now world number two in the rankings and Nadal looking increasingly dominant of the two.

What are your views?

Action Jackson
06-21-2009, 09:59 AM
An original thread.

Ivan Lendl and Brad Gilbert best rivalry ever.

Bagelicious
06-21-2009, 10:09 AM
An original thread.

Ivan Lendl and Brad Gilbert best rivalry ever.

:wavey:

Hey, I don't remember if you were the thread starter or not, but there was a great thread a while back with legendary tennis rivalries and it showed the h2h of famous rivalries.

I remember especially in the case of Chris Evert and Martina Navratilova, it's like one player would own the other and then things would switch back the other way around and the rivalries weren't nearly as even while they were happening as the final h2h showed.

Would appreciate it if you could bump that thread up again.

Boris Franz Ecker
06-21-2009, 10:25 AM
It's a little bit disappointing what happens now with Nadal. He just let's Federer pass with no fight.

The Oracle
08-11-2009, 05:59 AM
It's a little bit disappointing what happens now with Nadal. He just let's Federer pass with no fight.

You are very right.......but Federer is about 30 now and there is only one direction from here.

I dont think Federer's no. 1 will last either.

Sunset of Age
08-11-2009, 06:01 AM
You are very right.......but Federer is about 30 now and there is only one direction from here.

Okay. Nothing more needs to be said, despite some good points being brought foreward in this particular post. :help:

stzenit
08-11-2009, 06:03 AM

federer turned 28 a couple of days ago....:o

vamosinator
08-11-2009, 06:04 AM
Number one ranking doesn't actually matter until the Season Ending Master Series Championship, since Nadal didn't play it last year he will finish the year number one by winning it (and winning the US Open).

Sunset of Age
08-11-2009, 06:05 AM

:) - some TROLLS just can't wait till he turns 88 over here, you know.

MTF. :worship:

Sunset of Age
08-11-2009, 06:07 AM
Number one ranking doesn't actually matter until the Season Ending Master Series Championship, since Nadal didn't play it last year he will finish the year number one by winning it (and winning the US Open).

:retard: :retard: :retard:
Please, for F**K's sake, just GO AWAY.

Arkulari
08-11-2009, 06:09 AM
Karin: just breathe, just breathe :o

Sunset of Age
08-11-2009, 06:11 AM
Karin: just breathe, just breathe :o

Thank you, dear. :hug:
I was just about to post something likewise to which got Dani banned over here recently. :angel: :smoke:

leng jai
08-11-2009, 06:12 AM
Vamos KarEn.

Arkulari
08-11-2009, 06:13 AM
Adrian :lol:

Sunset of Age
08-11-2009, 06:14 AM
Adrian :lol:

+1 :lol:

lessthanjake
08-11-2009, 06:21 AM

Federer only got 200 points from it last year though, as he didnt get out of the round robin stage. He isn't defending much.

Basically, heres the deal. In order to end the year #1, Nadal will have to get 575 more points than Federer during the rest of the year. Upon first glance, that is not that tough. A win over Federer in the US Open finals would do it for him, for instance. The problem, though, is the fact that Federer is planning on playing in Tokyo and Basel, both 500 level events. Nadal is not playing any more optional tournaments the rest of the year. As such, Nadal will really have to do a lot better than Federer in the remaining tournaments that both are entering.

Gaudio2004
08-11-2009, 10:45 AM
Haha Stupid Dream, I would just relax and watch what stuff Rafawinsusopen09 says when Nadal doesn't win the US Open or the TMC. He has no life - his life is protecting Nadal on an internet forum, he doesn't even express his opinion.

HattonWBA
08-11-2009, 11:14 AM
Hope Murray gets to number 2 although the possibility of Federer and Nadal meeting in Semi finals would take something away from the events and the rivalry in my opinion.

River
08-11-2009, 03:21 PM
Nadal vs. Federer at the semis of a GS, to me, symbolizes a slow shift to another rivalry. It pretty much means that this rivalry is slowly edging away from main event status to the undercard, so to speak. That's not bad at all, but if and only if another rivalry is worthy enough to keep the world's interest in tennis as Rafa and FedEx did.

Has it really been 200+ weeks already? Man, time flies pretty quick.

I'm not fond of Murray getting the #2 spot, especially right now considering a lot of people are writing off Rafa. I think he'll be easily able to adapt to a much smarter tennis if his legs are as shot as people say it is.

Buuut a Murray and Del Potro battling for #1 and #2 spot not only sounds exciting, but terrifying since they hate each other so damn much. From a friendly rivalry to a bitter one?

...Hell yeah I'm up for it.

Har-Tru
08-11-2009, 03:22 PM
so if he falls to number 3, that means the rivalry is automatically over? awesome logic.

l_mac
08-11-2009, 03:36 PM
so if he falls to number 3, that means the rivalry is automatically over? awesome logic.

Um, yes, because a rivalry can only be between #1 and #2.

:retard:

kaylee
08-11-2009, 03:47 PM
sigh another useless thread rankings schmankings - who cares. I just want Nadal to return to being fit so that we see good tennis again. I also like tennis not too one-sided.

MrChopin
08-11-2009, 04:06 PM
...but Federer is about 30 now...

Are you using your cards to predict Fed losing the #1 in 2011, or are you from a future in which this has already happened?

Buuut a Murray and Del Potro battling for #1 and #2 spot not only sounds exciting, but terrifying since they hate each other so damn much. From a friendly rivalry to a bitter one?

...Hell yeah I'm up for it.

Wheeere are Federer and Nadal in this crystal ball?

Um, yes, because a rivalry can only be between #1 and #2.

:retard:

Your sig is huge.

l_mac
08-11-2009, 04:06 PM
Your sig is huge.

Yeah, well, so is my pain.

superslam77
08-11-2009, 04:49 PM

If Federer is about 30 then Nadal is about 26.

We all know what happens to dirtballers at 25+ :devil:

connectolove
08-11-2009, 05:47 PM
Anything is possible but he won't go without a fight... I doubt it, Rafael Nadal has lots of prizes to go.

The Oracle
08-15-2009, 10:08 PM
Wow....5 years.....what a great time of rivalry.

Today Nadal has to accept defeat.

Jimnik
08-15-2009, 10:12 PM
Glad it's finally over. Though it was only Nadal's injury that ended it.

Swiss Mountain
08-15-2009, 10:53 PM

Hey Raraaddict, I know you from "we love tennis" french site, go back there instead of saying stupid things here regarding Fed nadal. Ridicule.

jcempire
08-15-2009, 10:56 PM

cause He over used his energy as Pete Sampras expected

that's poor, he got to learn how to save his energy

Swiss Mountain
08-15-2009, 11:11 PM
Yeah, well, so is my pain.

Come on , no big a deal it is, your Nadal is only 23, he got plenty of time in front of him, but to fall to n°2 make you realize he is not in the 'Legends case' already.
He didn't even stay n°1 for a year, while Roger stay n°1 for 4 full years.

I know, but if you continue to compare nadal to fed, you always be sad and disapointed, just compare him to Agassi, Becker and Co, that's nice enough. And you will feel better.

You choose your player, deal with it.

Swiss Mountain
08-15-2009, 11:13 PM

Injury in the head, you forgot.

Nadal's mental is weak, he should have play Wimbly like Fed did when he was crushed last year at the french; Fed rebouce, that is his strenght, Nadal was a pussy to not honor wimbledon as a n°1. he was ashamed and scared; confidence was gone;

mentally, Nadal is nothing near Fed, compare the consistency, that is all; don't talk about the H
H between Nadal and fd, this is a joke, Fed is 28 and Nadal 23.
Ring a bell?

lessthanjake
08-16-2009, 12:38 AM
Nadal would be #2 right now if he had played Wimbledon. He might not have gotten very far, but he wouldnt have had to to still be #2.

andylovesaustin
08-16-2009, 01:19 AM
One thing I really like about Rafa is that his life isn't necessarily all about tennis.

I just think the guy has a little something to work toward now. But then again, he also seems satisfied with his accomplishments.

I mean, my goodness--he's a multi-millionaire. He has accomplished so much at such a young age.. I just think he's very "down-to-earth."

That's not to say he won't try to come-back. But at the same time, I think if doing his best to come back isn't good enough then.. well he seems to be the type of person to be satisfied with doing his best. That's really all he can do. And if works out for him.. great.. If it doesn't... well that's ok, too. I'm sure he'd be disappointed, but I do not think it's in him to be bitter...

So... I'm very pleased with his effort in Montreal. I think Rafa making it to the quarters is respectable--considering. Pony-boy just deserved the win.. But Rafa has nothing to be ashamed of either. He did pretty well considering...