Will Djokovic Become No. 1 In The World? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Will Djokovic Become No. 1 In The World?

The Oracle
06-13-2009, 07:42 PM
What do you think?

I personally think he is more talented than when Andy Roddick was no. 1.........and come.....everyone knows Andy Roddick:angel:

Do you believe that he will become no. 1 one day or has he peaked?

SheepleBuster
06-13-2009, 07:43 PM
No.

Chiakifug
06-13-2009, 07:44 PM
Never, unless Nadal, Federer and Murray all suddenly die in freak accidents this year.

out_here_grindin
06-13-2009, 08:16 PM
I remember about 2 years ago when Brad Gilbert wrote an article in tennis magazine called "3 reasons why Djokovic will become #1 before Nadal".

Murraylicious
06-13-2009, 08:17 PM
Ofcause he can

Garson007
06-13-2009, 08:20 PM
He has chances to win US Open and AUS Open and if Nadal again performs sub-par at RG, he has a good chance there as well. So, yes. He will.

zcess81
06-13-2009, 08:22 PM
Never, unless Nadal, Federer and Murray all suddenly die in freak accidents this year.

Um, I don't think the OP meant if he can become no.1 THIS year, but rather at some point in his career. To be honest the future, and by future I mean 2-3 years from now (and Fed will not be at the top 2-3 years from now) is Novak/Nadal/Murray and any of those guys can be no.1 2-3 years from now. 1 Year in tennis is a LONG TIME (2 years+ is impossible to predict), so we'll have to wait and see...but of course he can, as can Murray...or someone else.

General Suburbia
06-13-2009, 08:24 PM
He's regressing. Not so sure any more.

Radalek
06-13-2009, 08:24 PM
Look, I would like him to become #1 one day. Now...has he peaked? No, I don't think he is. He just turned 22, still inconsistent at times, need to work on his fitness even more, his slices, volleys (getting better but still a lot of work to be done), some decision making (cut using of those drop shots please...) . Need to learn to keep away from being passive cos it pisses me off lately. He is capable for much more, really don't know why does he retreats so much and plays defensively when he doesn't have to. I mean, it's great for him that he developed his defensive game and he can really get a lot of shots back, more than few years ago but that should be used when pressed only, and if he doesn't have choice. Lately he chose to play like that even when it's sooo freaking obvious that some attacking play would yield results (RG 09, wth was that?) . Does that have some relations with confidence? No idea, maybe does.
To be fair to him, regarding his poor form late last year, he had some serious family issues, he even admitted that both of his younger brothers were sick for months (they are fine now apparently), and his parents almost divorced. But that is all behind him now.Will he regain his old form and start playing that attacking tennis again that brought him AO slam? Hope so, if he doesn't he will remain solid top 5 player for years till some younger blood step on the scene. If he does it will be interesting what will happen then. Will he reach # 1 then? No idea, he might but there's so many variables, nothing is certain in life, same with tennis.
And please don't compare Roddick and his #1 status, different time, different people on scene.

zcess81
06-13-2009, 08:27 PM

I can GUARANTEE you that both Murray and Nadal will have lows in their careers...and both will find their form again. It's the nature of the sport, any sport. This year hasn't been best for Novak, but he's done pretty well, and I'm sure he'll be back to his very best soon.

sawan66278
06-13-2009, 08:27 PM
Too good to not eventually reach the top spot. He will, but look for a brief time there...a la Boris Becker. I don't see him being motivated enough to keep fighting once he reaches there...especially given his failing to defend a single title in his career. Defending his ranking? An even greater challenge.

MrChopin
06-13-2009, 08:31 PM
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/what-will-life-be-like-100-years-from-now-423462.html

Burrow
06-13-2009, 08:31 PM

Federer is 28 this year, so he will be pretty much done in a couple of years.

Lalalovesong
06-13-2009, 08:34 PM
He will very soon, it's destiny!

Bascule
06-13-2009, 08:44 PM
I agree with my Prince of Pettiness. Still not motivated enough.

Chiakifug
06-13-2009, 09:23 PM

Yeah but lets say hes done by the time hes 30, Djokovic will be what, 23, 24, same as Murray and Nadal. There wont be only competition from those, but also an entire new wave of younger players, it happens every year.

miura
06-13-2009, 09:26 PM
He needs to maintain a good level for a longer period of time. The conteders for the #1 ranking at the moment are very strong. The last thing he needs is continue to crash out early in the slams.

Lebeuf
06-13-2009, 09:38 PM
When Federer is gonna retire I hope Djokovic reach the number one spot , Nadal is kindda boring even if he's good.

Andi-M
06-13-2009, 09:43 PM
I think Murray/Nadal/Del Potro will be 1,2 and 3 when Fed statrs to decline 2010-2011 time, Djokovic will be there and there abouts but Im not sure about no 1. He dosent have that world no 1 air about him that Murray has, but Djokovic will probably win 1 or 2 more slams and be a top 5 player for years to come.

tea
06-13-2009, 09:46 PM
Will he? Ask Murray.:D When a post-Federer era to begin, of course.

Manon
06-13-2009, 09:48 PM

Agreed. But let's wait. In one moment he had more points (after IW 2008) than Roddick, Safin and Hewitt when they're on top spot. Murray now has more points from all those 3 ever (old system course). Circumstances, whatever.

But if he continues to play his A game only on clay (hope on hard surface too again) there's no chance.

Matt01
06-13-2009, 09:52 PM
Sooner or later, alligator.

I think Murray/Nadal/Del Potro will be 1,2 and 3 when Fed statrs to decline 2010-2011 time, Djokovic will be there and there abouts but Im not sure about no 1. He dosent have that world no 1 air about him that Murray has, but Djokovic will probably win 1 or 2 more slams and be a top 5 player for years to come.

:tape:

Andi-M
06-13-2009, 10:04 PM
^^^

Safina and Jankovic don't have that 'air' about them either yet thay got there, Im not saying he'll never get there im saying i dont think he'll be comfortable or stay there for long, he dosent like being hunted.

camnation
06-13-2009, 10:08 PM
I'm by no means an insider of this game, but I think Djokovic probably thought number one (or two) would be almost guaranteed for him, given the way he was rising as late as just a year ago. He stopped putting as much work into his game (or at least didn't give it that extra push) and it began to taper off. Then the frustration and confidence woes hit. Since falling to number four I hope he realizes the prolonged commitment it takes to be on top. The two biggest challenges I think he has are physical fitness (duh) and the never-say-die attitude. Although it's too early to say, I really hope Nole will improve soon and just his talents to his full extent.

Brick Top
06-13-2009, 10:45 PM
YES HE WILL....destiny calls

calvinhobbes
06-13-2009, 11:16 PM
If he learns how to breathe, he could have a shot at it. However, I doubt it. To breathe is the most difficult thing in tennis. .. . . .:devil::devil::devil:,

cocrcici
06-13-2009, 11:41 PM
Nole....peaked....:lol::lol::lol:

«Ivan»
06-13-2009, 11:46 PM
Nole....peaked....:lol::lol::lol:

clowns cocrcici(i have to know what that means)

rubbERR
06-13-2009, 11:50 PM
no he will not, his potential is this where he is now just like Murray's potential.

Halba
06-13-2009, 11:51 PM
yes he has a good chance at some point

because of all court game and good clay court skills...

also there isn't any younger generation of player out there good enough to compete at senior level for several yrs. these guys are IT

Bascule
06-13-2009, 11:52 PM
He dosent have that world no 1 air about him that Murray has, but Djokovic will probably win 1 or 2 more slams and be a top 5 player for years to come.

Just a moment...what "world no. 1 air" you're talking about? Muzza just had one GS final and a year passed since then and...still nothing. And why del Pony rather than Novak? They still haven't proved much. I don't claim Novak will have much better carrier than the other two guys, but you've gone too far.

thegreendestiny
06-13-2009, 11:58 PM
I guess not. There's always someone to stop him in different surfaces:
Clay-Rafa
Grass-Roger
Hard-Andy

Black Adam
06-14-2009, 12:09 AM
It will suck for him to get to number 1 considering Ferrero and Rios made it to number 1.

Garson007
06-14-2009, 12:48 AM
It will suck for him to get to number 1 considering Ferrero and Rios made it to number 1.
Of course. That's where the year end #1 comes in, then career slam, then calender slam, etc.

malisha
06-14-2009, 12:55 AM
his body will not allow it...and there are guys who want it more than him

Andi-M
06-14-2009, 01:03 AM
Just a moment...what "world no. 1 air" you're talking about? Muzza just had one GS final and a year passed since then and...still nothing. And why del Pony rather than Novak? They still haven't proved much. I don't claim Novak will have much better carrier than the other two guys, but you've gone too far.

Im stating my opinion, its not fact.

MacTheKnife
06-14-2009, 01:06 AM
Can be get to a point he can play consistently well in heat ? Not until then.

Arkulari
06-14-2009, 01:13 AM
I see Muzza with a better shot to be #1 when Roger/Rafa give up or retire :shrug:

cocrcici
06-14-2009, 01:17 AM
clowns cocrcici(i have to know what that means)

cocrcici=cocrčići=kind of small chicken,my first pet:eek:

FedFan_2007
06-14-2009, 01:29 AM

Well isn't that backtracking. Ya'll had Federer DONE as of 27. :rolleyes: Now it's 30. :haha:

juja_06
06-14-2009, 01:56 AM
no never

Macbrother
06-14-2009, 02:13 AM
Only he can answer that, really. It's clear he has the physical skills; but the dedication, desire, determination, the arrogant refusal to give in or lose, that's what he must develop.

Ultimately I would say yes, I could see him having a career like Courier at some point; multiple slams, some weeks at #1, it's just too difficult right now, the company he is playing in.

Forehander
06-14-2009, 05:39 AM
No he won't and I'm 200% positive. His game is already at peak and there's not much room left for improvement. While on the other hand, a player like Andy Murray still have HUGE potential remaining to him prove his game a whole lot. Sometimes it's sad... Djokovic right now does have the game to become the world number one if he's playing well, but unfortunately he will always be mentally inconsistent and when the time comes for him to fully mature it'll be too late.

Goldenoldie
06-14-2009, 07:30 AM
I think he's missed his opportunity. He plays one bad match occasionally against a lesser player, and that's a shed-load of points down the dream. At his best, he's proved he can beat anybody. Below his best (most of the time) there are dozens of players who can beat him.

Radalek
06-14-2009, 10:41 AM
No he won't and I'm 200% positive. His game is already at peak and there's not much room left for improvement. While on the other hand, a player like Andy Murray still have HUGE potential remaining to him prove his game a whole lot. Sometimes it's sad... Djokovic right now does have the game to become the world number one if he's playing well, but unfortunately he will always be mentally inconsistent and when the time comes for him to fully mature it'll be too late.

Can you elaborate this please?I really disagree so let me see why do you think so.

born_on_clay
06-14-2009, 10:46 AM
Yes he can in the near future

Vanjezi
06-14-2009, 11:18 AM
If he skip No.2 :D

Halba
06-14-2009, 11:18 AM
so many areas of improvement for the guy

1. mental - an improvement here in grand slam level against any opponent will help - especially in the crunch situation.

2. variety/tactics - especially when things go wrong against lesser opponents he can vary his game somewhat to be a more effective defender(like murray) and be more aggressive at same time. Needs to get more variation in his game rather than simply being the power player he is. His slice backhand currently is a weakness.

3. forehand - can leak errors off this wing. it is a powerful forehand and he can try to maximise winners AO 08 style rather than loop the ball in.

4. volleys- djokovic is not a natural volleyer. struggles at net. Can develop better touch and feel over time with experience. Needs to choose better times to come in. He will never be as good as federer or murray here though as he is not a natural talent.

5. Serve - currently is a bit one paced on the serve. Predictable at times. 2nd serve can improve. Can add some slices to the serve. Can even develop more power as he grows older. But he has a great service action. Very natural.

batavlada
06-14-2009, 11:52 AM
Crystal ball says... damn, too blur.

But I see new restaurant chain called Novak. Food so-so. Pricey.

Or Levy
06-14-2009, 12:11 PM
Early days. In 2 years when he's 24, it would be a dogwar between him and Murray.

Roger will probably be somewhat on the downslide at that stage, and as for Rafa, that depends on his knees.

Lets just say that his grass prospects do not look good at the moment.

Burrow
06-14-2009, 12:25 PM
I don't understand this grass talk, as if he is crap on it, he reached the semi final in 2007 and took a set off nadal while injured. He's currently in the final of Halle so I don't see what he is doing so wrong, it might not be his strongest surface but he isn't weak on it.

The Oracle
06-14-2009, 10:06 PM
I don't understand this grass talk, as if he is crap on it, he reached the semi final in 2007 and took a set off nadal while injured. He's currently in the final of Halle so I don't see what he is doing so wrong, it might not be his strongest surface but he isn't weak on it.

Certainly, IMO, his style of playing is more comprehensive than Nadal, that's why people win Australian Open........there you need to be an all courter and he is a better one than Federer....I definitely he has a chance if he is to take on Federer.

Though he did lose to Haas today, he will no doubt still be a favourite..

Rogieva
06-14-2009, 10:13 PM
No.

TennisGrandSlam
06-14-2009, 10:51 PM
Depending on :

if Djokovic is still One-Slam wonder.

BigJohn
06-14-2009, 10:53 PM
No. It would be bad for tennis to have the #1 being such a poor sportman.

Pfloyd
06-14-2009, 11:05 PM
At the moment there are 2 players that are better (Federer, Nadal) than him, albeit slightly and another (Andy Murray) who is passing through a better "patch".

But he is quite solid, so I don't see why he couldn't be no.1 for a while sometime in 2 or 3 years.

«Ivan»
06-15-2009, 01:00 AM
No. It would be bad for tennis to have the #1 being such a poor sportman.

who're you?

The Oracle
06-15-2009, 01:04 AM
Early days. In 2 years when he's 24, it would be a dogwar between him and Murray.

Roger will probably be somewhat on the downslide at that stage, and as for Rafa, that depends on his knees.

Lets just say that his grass prospects do not look good at the moment.

Absolutely............doesnt that remind us of Lleyton Hewitt - Pete Sampras rivalry.........Hewitt was no. 1 for a very long time before Roddick dethroned him.

Roddick IMO is still kinda cute:)

Anyways.....points taken.....once Federer hit 30.....he will become human again...

Forehander
06-15-2009, 02:58 AM
Absolutely............doesnt that remind us of Lleyton Hewitt - Pete Sampras rivalry.........Hewitt was no. 1 for a very long time before Roddick dethroned him.

Roddick IMO is still kinda cute:)

Anyways.....points taken.....once Federer hit 30.....he will become human again...

The fk....? Hewitt was never dethroned by Roddick. And Juan Carlos Ferrero became the world number one before him.

El Legenda
06-15-2009, 03:06 AM
Not bloody likely.

xargon
06-15-2009, 04:05 AM
Yes, eventually. He will make a push in 2010 and will get another GS.

antofalila
06-15-2009, 05:02 AM
I guess tehre wiill be a moment in their carrer, tahn he will be in his best level, and nadal will be i njured and murray ina not to good level, mmm and he can go #01 xD. I guess he will be number 1 someday. maybe a few weeks like rios or muster. but he will be number 1

Mimi
06-15-2009, 07:09 AM
yes, not many are closed to no.1 except murray and him :wavey:

bokehlicious
06-15-2009, 09:36 AM
Still not motivated enough.

Darn motivation :( if only he were a tad motivated he'd win anything in sight :( too bad he could care less :(

munZe konZa
06-15-2009, 11:27 AM
not now , he plays way too far in the back, before he used to control the game but now he has no confidence.

I think last year he took it for granted he will reach the top and he kind of lost the plot and what brought him there . He has the most talent but he needs to rebuild his game . In the future , this slump period may be good for him if he learns to come back again

McAlistar
06-15-2009, 11:43 AM
He will at some point, we saw glimpses of his old form in the TMS clay events in the last few months. He has fallen off the pace recently though.

HKz
06-15-2009, 12:01 PM
I remember about 2 years ago when Brad Gilbert wrote an article in tennis magazine called "3 reasons why Djokovic will become #1 before Nadal".

Brad Gilbert is a joke who sounds like a child rapist on air. He seriously thinks so full of himself just because he had a successful coaching career with Agassi. I mean this guy has said the same thing of Murray that he soon will be the new king, yet look what has happened to Pandy Purray at the slams :rolleyes:

I honestly do not think Djokovic will be a number one player, at least not for the next 4-6 years. In my opinion he is better than Nadal on hardcourts and he has given Nadal trouble on clay with his backhand and he has stirred trouble with the Federer camp, but he has lacked consistent play especially when he can't penetrate one area of his opponent's game even if it is something like his opponent's serve and neither player gets broken. I don't know if this is his lack of hunger since his Australian Open win and nearly becoming World Number 2 during the clay season, but it definately is a mental thing.

Commander Data
06-15-2009, 12:27 PM
Though to say. His form at AO 2008 and for example Madrid this year would be good enough to get to no. 1. But also the time must be right. when maybe Fed is past peak and Nadal struggles or so, there might be a window with less competition where a "new" player can break thru.

I'm not sure if Novak can deliver that form on a constent basis though. And thats what is needed. He has to deliver this form pretty much all year to get to the very top.

Florida
06-15-2009, 12:33 PM
Novak is talented to become #1! Will he? I don't think so, he is mentally very unstable and cannot cope with the preassure as well as overcome mental obstacles. It's a personality thing and that IMO cannot change. One of the young players will come along and prove to be a force, but thaat will not be Novak and it will not be Andy Murray! It will be a new kid on the block!

Commander Data
06-15-2009, 12:52 PM
Novak is talented to become #1! Will he? I don't think so, he is mentally very unstable and cannot cope with the preassure as well as overcome mental obstacles. It's a personality thing and that IMO cannot change. One of the young players will come along and prove to be a force, but thaat will not be Novak and it will not be Andy Murray! It will be a new kid on the block!

I agree. After hanging around the 3-4 spots for a couple years, they will lack the fire needed, when the opportunity arrises to get no.1

roberthenman
06-15-2009, 03:41 PM
:haha: nooooooooooooooo

cocrcici
06-20-2009, 11:08 AM
Yes,no escape...

dodo
06-20-2009, 12:02 PM
of course he will. fed will run out of steam in a year or two and nadal will not return his 2008 form (knees+he wont have dear old roger to chase). so novak will get there. not for long (unless he really makes breakthrough, the talent is certainly there), but he will have a taste.

Guga_fan
06-20-2009, 03:11 PM
If this were asked to me in mid-2008 I would have definitely said yes, and would say he was going to win many slams. Than he had a bad 2nd half of the season, but won the Masters Cup, and I thought he would get his game together and play his best again.

But when he traded rackets and became a total pusher I changed my mind, and I am not going to reconsider this until he proves he can play at AO 2008/Us Open 2007/Montreal 2007 level again.

Sean
06-20-2009, 08:05 PM
Does Djokovic still exist?

Sapeod
06-20-2009, 08:07 PM
Does Djokovic still exist?
Yes, but he's not really remembered anymore. Even Del Potro is put in as a Wimby threat more than him :lol:

Avon
06-20-2009, 08:12 PM
Djokovic keeps playing the way he’s playing by this time next year he will not even be the Serb No.1

cocrcici
06-20-2009, 08:16 PM
Djokovic keeps playing the way he’s playing by this time next year he will not even be the Serb No.1

:haha:

star
06-20-2009, 08:18 PM
If this were asked to me in mid-2008 I would have definitely said yes, and would say he was going to win many slams. Than he had a bad 2nd half of the season, but won the Masters Cup, and I thought he would get his game together and play his best again.

But when he traded rackets and became a total pusher I changed my mind, and I am not going to reconsider this until he proves he can play at AO 2008/Us Open 2007/Montreal 2007 level again.

I think that's fair. I don't agree he's a "total pusher," but I do think that he has to prove to everyone, including himself, that he can play at a high level once again.

He did hang in there against Nadal on clay, but Nadal wasn't at his best, so I don't know if that's encouraging. He's fun to watch when playing at a high level. I hope he gets back there again.

Manon
06-20-2009, 08:23 PM
I think that's fair. I don't agree he's a "total pusher," but I do think that he has to prove to everyone, including himself, that he can play at a high level once again.

He did hang in there against Nadal on clay, but Nadal wasn't at his best, so I don't know if that's encouraging. He's fun to watch when playing at a high level. I hope he gets back there again.

Yep, good Guga_fan post.

MagicMilan
06-20-2009, 08:26 PM
Thinking usually goes before posting ;)

Lawn Tennis
06-20-2009, 08:31 PM
Djokovic is in a tough situation. Let's say Federer retires when he's 31 like Sampras did. By that time, Novak will be 25 years old. I hate to say it, but Novak will not be better than Roger 3 years from now. On top of that, he will have to contend with Andy Murray, 25 years old too. Nadal will be 26, and I'm willing to accept the consensus that he may be worn out by then due to his style of play (though I kinda doubt it). Now throw in a new half decade worth of younger, trophy-hungry athletes, and it becomes clear that Novak is stuck between a rock and a hard place. I believe Del Potro has a much better chance to become world number one.

Avon
06-20-2009, 08:32 PM
Thinking usually goes before posting ;)
Sorry if I upset you I am sure Djokovic is not a one-slam wonder and he is more than capable of staying Serb No.1.

Lawn Tennis
06-20-2009, 08:35 PM
He did hang in there against Nadal on clay, but Nadal wasn't at his best, so I don't know if that's encouraging.

I don't think Nadal could've played any better at Madrid.

cocrcici
06-20-2009, 08:36 PM
Sorry if I upset you I am sure Djokovic is not a one-slam wonder and he is more than capable of staying Serb No.1.

:lol:

Lalalovesong
06-20-2009, 09:59 PM
Come on, Tennis is unpredictable.
You never know what's gonna happen in 1 year!

MagicMilan
06-21-2009, 12:27 AM
MTF posts can't upset me, no need to worry ;)

Avon
06-21-2009, 10:38 AM
MTF posts can't upset me, no need to worry ;)

Is it Just Djokovics form then ?

born_on_clay
06-21-2009, 11:01 AM
Nole for the wimbledon title !

DrJules
02-15-2011, 09:35 PM
Could it happen this year.

Mr. Oracle
02-15-2011, 09:59 PM

classy bump!

abraxas21
02-15-2011, 11:02 PM
one day, sure

he'll be a transitional number 1 though. between the end of rafa's domination and the formation of new players like dimitrov, berankis, tomic, raonic, etc.

abraxas21
02-15-2011, 11:03 PM

absolutely no way in hell it happens this year.

ApproachShot
02-15-2011, 11:32 PM
He probably won't this year, but I think there's a strong possibility he may reach #1 in 2012-14. As others have said, he's too good not to. Shame he is playing in the Federer - and most pertinently given their ages - Nadal era, so even though I feel he will reach the top of the rankings, he may not be able to stay there for too long.

Nole Rules
06-15-2011, 08:17 PM
He probably won't this year, but I think there's a strong possibility he may reach #1 in 2012-14. As others have said, he's too good not to. Shame he is playing in the Federer - and most pertinently given their ages - Nadal era, so even though I feel he will reach the top of the rankings, he may not be able to stay there for too long.

We will see.;)

Silvester
06-15-2011, 08:22 PM
We will see.;)

yes we will..do you really think he will be able to defend all his points in early 2012?

Saberq
06-15-2011, 08:24 PM
yes we will..do you really think he will be able to defend all his points in early 2012?

Of course not..He only needs to defend AO and IW or Miami and Rome or Madrid and play semi final or finals in other events and he will do great...

Super Djoker
06-15-2011, 08:35 PM
I hope so but I just feal it might prove a step 2 far! He needs to win Wimbledon to do it I feal! 7.470 points comfortably in the bag so far this year he will never have a better shot!

Super Djoker
06-15-2011, 08:41 PM

He will have back up,s you know! He Is in a perfect position to take the number 1 ranking!

Deivid23
06-16-2011, 01:31 AM
:haha: Good job, MTF

Topspindoctor
06-16-2011, 02:09 AM
Djokovic will become #1 in the world. It is inevitable. Better make a poll if he can hold #1 spot for 100 weeks or more.

Super Djoker
06-16-2011, 02:33 AM
Got a great chance at the minute ! 7.470 points in the bag this year! Don,t be thick! Of course he has a chance! He has played bad in 1 match out of 42 this year! Someone GET A CLUE! Winning 41 back to back is no fluke!

Super Djoker
06-16-2011, 02:36 AM
In fact he did,nt even play bad in that 1 match Federer played A Vintage performance v Novak in Paris! He won,t do it all the time!

Time Violation
06-16-2011, 07:03 AM
new players like dimitrov, berankis, tomic, raonic, etc.

New players doing great :lol:

rafa_maniac
06-16-2011, 07:50 AM
It will take some kind of miracle to stop it happening now.

Mimi
06-16-2011, 07:52 AM
He deserved it and I am ok with this :cheerleader:

BULLZ1LLA
06-16-2011, 09:17 AM
It will take some kind of miracle to stop it happening now.

(It's a shame for Djokovic he's playing in the era of the 2 tennis miracles - Rafa and Federer, and therein lies the problem, especially since Federer just walked all over him. Although even if Djokovic doesn't get the top ranking, it's not a big deal, I've never met a Djokovic fan)

zlaja777
06-16-2011, 09:22 AM
He will become the most deserved new No.1 ever.

Time Violation
06-16-2011, 10:08 AM
(It's a shame for Djokovic he's playing in the era of the 2 tennis miracles - Rafa and Federer, and therein lies the problem, especially since Federer just walked all over him. Although even if Djokovic doesn't get the top ranking, it's not a big deal, I've never met a Djokovic fan)

Not really a shame, at least no one can say that he was #1 because he was playing against some mugs... and he spanked Rafa 4 times this year, so I ain't complaining :cool: If he lost to Fed, he lost to 16 GS champion, no shame in that and he did beat him in 2 previous slams anyway :)

BULLZ1LLA
06-16-2011, 10:08 AM
He will become the most deserved new No.1 ever.

(Yep, the other guy holds 3 of the 4 slams, while Djokovic holds just the AO, but whatever....)

Time Violation
06-16-2011, 11:55 AM
(Yep, the other guy holds 3 of the 4 slams, while Djokovic holds just the AO, but whatever....)

3 of 4 for a few days more, then it will be 2 of 4, and three months later, 1 of 4 hopefully :cool:

hiperborejac
06-16-2011, 12:01 PM
3 of 4 for a few days more, then it will be 2 of 4, and three months later, 1 of 4 hopefully :cool:

And next year this time 0 slams :p

Time Violation
06-16-2011, 12:05 PM
And next year this time 0 slams :p

Sold. :cool:

MaxPower
06-16-2011, 12:07 PM
djez give that slam obsession a rest. Does ATP stand for Association of Slam Professionals or Association of Tennis Professionals? The ranking shows who the best tennis player is the past 52 weeks. The race shows who the best player is of the year so far. Djokovic soon leads both. Rafa should be happy that he has 100 weeks or so now as nr1. I mean if ppl cared about small simple things like who the actual best player has been according to the ranking instead of just counting slams he would be not even halfway to guys like Fed and Sampras

BULLZ1LLA
06-16-2011, 12:17 PM

(The way things are going, Rafa will hold all 4 this time next year. Only the torn muscle at AO stopped him from holding all 4. You can talk plenty about Djokovic's streak, but realize that Rafa won the 1st set at Indian Wells and Miami, and lost Miami in a 3rd set tie-breaker. Not exactly invincible Djokovic [Djokovic did win 3 straight matches over Rafa in 2009, but still lost at the US Open 2010], and obviously things are different in best-of-5 sets where Rafa has only ever lost ONE match after winning the 1st set)

BULLZ1LLA
06-16-2011, 12:21 PM
djez give that slam obsession a rest. Does ATP stand for Association of Slam Professionals or Association of Tennis Professionals? The ranking shows who the best tennis player is the past 52 weeks. The race shows who the best player is of the year so far. Djokovic soon leads both. Rafa should be happy that he has 100 weeks or so now as nr1. I mean if ppl cared about small simple things like who the actual best player has been according to the ranking instead of just counting slams he would be not even halfway to guys like Fed and Sampras

(Djokovic soon leads both? A repeat of 2008 is the most likely result at Wimbledon, and that means Djokovic stays at number 2. If Djokovic had shown more against Federer at Roland Garros, then we'd give him a chance at Wimbledon. And Rafa will be in a great position in the race too after winning Wimbledon)

Time Violation
06-16-2011, 12:26 PM
(The way things are going, Rafa will hold all 4 this time next year. Only the torn muscle at AO stopped him from holding all 4. You can talk plenty about Djokovic's streak, but realize that Rafa won the 1st set at Indian Wells and Miami, and lost Miami in a 3rd set tie-breaker. Not exactly invincible Djokovic [Djokovic did win 3 straight matches over Rafa in 2009, but still lost at the US Open 2010], and obviously things are different in best-of-5 sets where Rafa has only ever lost ONE match after winning the 1st set)

Unless Rafa finds his last year's USO form, dream on :) Novak never before won a final against Rafa before, and this year he has won 4 already, so what happened in the past doesn't necessarily mean anything.

BULLZ1LLA
06-16-2011, 12:52 PM
Unless Rafa finds his last year's USO form, dream on :) Novak never before won a final against Rafa before, and this year he has won 4 already, so what happened in the past doesn't necessarily mean anything.

(No need to dream, just look at reality. The US Open is suiting Rafa more and more every year, as we've seen. Djokovic is more suited to the Australian Open. Rafa already at Queens the other day was serving several times at 128mph. And Toni has already said that it was their strategy for Rafa to serve with spin at Roland Garros and save the fast serving for Wimbledon and US Open)

DJ Soup
06-16-2011, 12:59 PM
(No need to dream, just look at reality. The US Open is suiting Rafa more and more every year, as we've seen. Djokovic is more suited to the Australian Open. Rafa already at Queens the other day was serving several times at 128mph. And Toni has already said that it was their strategy for Rafa to serve with spin at Roland Garros and save the fast serving for Wimbledon and US Open)

interesting, although coming from bullzilla, it comes with 0 credibility

Time Violation
06-16-2011, 01:02 PM

The reality is that Rafa is not really at his best at the moment, even he said so several times this year. Anyway, we'll see what he has saved soon enough. :)

zlaja777
06-16-2011, 01:04 PM

Again, Djokovic will become the most deserved new No.1 ever.

paseo
06-16-2011, 01:06 PM

No. Fed will win Wimbledon.

Silvester
06-16-2011, 01:12 PM
He will have back up,s you know! He Is in a perfect position to take the number 1 ranking!

I agree he will take the #1..however I wouldn't be suprised if he loses it again before Wimby next year.

BULLZ1LLA
06-16-2011, 02:18 PM
The reality is that Rafa is not really at his best at the moment, even he said so several times this year. Anyway, we'll see what he has saved soon enough. :)

(Gullible, much? Toni and Rafa certainly got inside your head :lol: )

hisham70
06-16-2011, 02:22 PM
Vijay Amritraj predicted that Fed will win Wimbledon 2011, I believe so too, so IMO no. 1 for Nole is still far fetched.

xdrewitdajx
06-16-2011, 02:51 PM
if Federer wins Wimbledon, that most likely helps Djokovic's cause, since Nadal is defending it...

rubbERR
06-16-2011, 02:56 PM
Its already quaranteed the way he is playing, when you arrive that level you dont lose it so easily.

BULLZ1LLA
06-16-2011, 03:16 PM
(Djok hasn't even got the ability to win 3 sets from Rafa in a match on any surface. He can beat Federer, but given what happened at Roland Garros it seems unlikely on grass)

yesh222
06-16-2011, 03:28 PM
If Fed wins Wimbledon then Nole will automatically be #1.

Saberq
06-16-2011, 03:39 PM
(Djok hasn't even got the ability to win 3 sets from Rafa in a match on any surface. He can beat Federer, but given what happened at Roland Garros it seems unlikely on grass)

The level of your stupidity is beyond me....So in Rome for example Rafa would have won sets 3,4,5 if it was played in 5 sets?No he wouldn't and you are a coward

Time Violation
06-16-2011, 04:01 PM
(Gullible, much? Toni and Rafa certainly got inside your head :lol: )

Gullible? :lol: I'd say four (almost) consecutive finals lost, including twice straight setted on the clay speak enough. But anyway, hope you can get more proofs before long :cool:

Crazy Girl
06-16-2011, 05:14 PM
Yes. Sure as the death.

Sonja1989
06-16-2011, 05:18 PM
Of course he will.

Super Djoker
06-16-2011, 07:42 PM

Looking how rafa played , and dropping 3 Sets at the French Open, I,de hardely call rafa invincible wright now! Novak barely got beat 3 sets to 1 losing 2 tiebreakes, with Federer Serving Amazing at the French! Granted Federer totally Deserved his win over novak, But he won,t play like that all the time!

Don,t forget Djokovic has won 7 of the Last 9 with Nadal!

Mountaindewslave
06-16-2011, 07:48 PM

^^^haha this comment makes no sense whatsoever, Rafael Nadal is one of the most consistant players of all time and the same if not more consistant than Sampras was (at least so far comparing the two careers up to age 25)..... I don't even understand a post like this, there is no argument, history remembers the slams, that's all that really matters.

Mountaindewslave
06-16-2011, 07:51 PM
Again, Djokovic will become the most deserved new No.1 ever.

i don't know about this.... that is an odd thing to say, I am sure that Nadal having 4 or 5 slams or whatever he had before being No.1 was certainly the most deserved new No.1? yes?

Mountaindewslave
06-16-2011, 07:53 PM
The level of your stupidity is beyond me....So in Rome for example Rafa would have won sets 3,4,5 if it was played in 5 sets?No he wouldn't and you are a coward

an opinion does not make him a coward; Nadal is famous for being great at 5 set matches and Djokovic has never beaten Nadal in a Grand Slam... you are delusional if you think that facing Nadal outside of Grand SLams is as tough as facing him in them.

Saberq
06-16-2011, 07:57 PM
an opinion does not make him a coward; Nadal is famous for being great at 5 set matches and Djokovic has never beaten Nadal in a Grand Slam... you are delusional if you think that facing Nadal outside of Grand SLams is as tough as facing him in them.

It's the same really....Nadal gives 110% every time he plays...The only thing is a mental aspect of his opponent and Nole has no problem with that...That Nadal in Slams shit is overrated and you know it my friend....

xdrewitdajx
06-16-2011, 08:01 PM
i don't know about this.... that is an odd thing to say, I am sure that Nadal having 4 or 5 slams or whatever he had before being No.1 was certainly the most deserved new No.1? yes?

Mats Wilander had 6 of his 7 GS before reaching #1

TennisOnWood
06-16-2011, 08:05 PM

Tell that to Saberg

TennisOnWood
06-16-2011, 08:09 PM
Actually.. Mats won all of his Slams before reaching Number 1 after US Open 1988!!

munZe konZa
06-16-2011, 08:16 PM

whatever, that's what they said about clay dominance and finals and Nole beat him this year. Rafa got lucky at the Roland Garros because Nole was rusty in the semi final and that allowed rafa's slave to play an exhibition final. You have to be aware that the talent difference is becoming obvious between them so the only way Rafa has a chance in their matches is some "special circumstances" like last year USO final.

Saberq
06-16-2011, 09:10 PM
Tell that to Saberg

tell me what I knew that....I never said that Djokovic is most deserving number 1 ever if he gets to that postion...He is for this year not overall...I think Nadal deserved it more than Nole did when he became number 1

vn01
06-16-2011, 09:20 PM
yes

MaxPower
06-16-2011, 09:20 PM

and probably wasn't that good for him to reach #1 tbh. Wilander kinda dropped motivation after that.

It's gonna be interesting to see how Djokovic reacts after becoming #1. Will he build on it or will he lose motivation in the very hard training he must have put in for this season judging by his endurance (it's not only the gluten trust me)

TennisOnWood
06-16-2011, 09:31 PM
tell me what I knew that....I never said that Djokovic is most deserving number 1 ever if he gets to that postion...He is for this year not overall...I think Nadal deserved it more than Nole did when he became number 1

Yes, after 3 full years as Number 2, 5 Slams and 12 Masters 1000 titles Rafa deserved it more

Time Violation
06-16-2011, 09:43 PM
Yes, after 3 full years as Number 2, 5 Slams and 12 Masters 1000 titles Rafa deserved it more

Certainly it's not the same trying to overtake Federer or trying to overtake Roddick :p

xargon
06-17-2011, 03:19 AM
in the very hard training he must have put in for this season judging by his endurance (it's not only the gluten trust me)

Well I guess the top four are all on PEDS then.
Let's put them all on trial :)

Topspindoctor
06-17-2011, 04:16 AM
Nadal had to win 5GS + countless titles (including 2 GS in a single year + gold medal) to capture #1 rank. Surely puts clown former #1's like Safin and Roddick into context.

sports freak
06-17-2011, 04:19 AM
Nadal had to win 5GS + countless titles (including 2 GS in a single year + gold medal) to capture #1 rank. Surely puts clown former #1's like Safin and Roddick into context.

sports freak
06-17-2011, 04:21 AM

Nice one Doc :hatoff: