Tommy in England--WIMBLEDON-- Auf Geht's! [Archive] - Page 3 - MensTennisForums.com

Tommy in England--WIMBLEDON-- Auf Geht's!

Pages : 1 2 [3]

thefly
07-03-2009, 02:22 PM
Disappointing match. Most of the time Tommy was just staying alive, Roger never in danger. Even more frustrating since he had his opportunities, especially in the first set, with good shots and often the upper hand in the rallies, but then most of the time he just blew it with errors. And that TB? After that great passing shot, he plays S&V on his 2nd serve against Roger Federer? At that moment? That was just plain stupid.
Another rare chance to show the greatness he's capable of, and again wasted.

Just like Tommy himself I'm sure, it will take a while to look back on the tournament and appreciate the success.

A shame.

<Eve>
07-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Well thefly, i agree on the first part (about TB and stuff), but 2nd and 3rd... no way!

I totally appreciate the succes and don't think its a shame at all :eek: !!! Top 20, first SF, i'm so very proud of him. :worship:

Edit: And hell yeah hardcourt :devil: :devil:

Lugburz
07-03-2009, 02:31 PM
Disappointing match. Most of the time Tommy was just staying alive, Roger never in danger. Even more frustrating since he had his opportunities, especially in the first set, with good shots and often the upper hand in the rallies, but then most of the time he just blew it with errors. And that TB? After that great passing shot, he plays S&V on his 2nd serve against Roger Federer? At that moment? That was just plain stupid.

Just like Tommy himself I'm sure, it will take a while to look back on the tournament and appreciate the success.

A shame.

I wouldn't be that disappointed I spouse,but again you have some point especially on the TB note.
I was same like where the hell you think you're going Thomas! Because that was really good chance to win the 1st...
But yea,you'll be fine when look back to the huuge success Tommy had here.;)
OK,bring on some HC's now :devil:

TommyB.
07-03-2009, 03:08 PM
Yes he had some chances in the first set. Especially at 15-30 on Roger's serve, where he missed one or two easy forehands. And then those unforced errors in the TB ... well it's over.

Great grass season with another title, another GS semi and back to the the top 20. Well done Tommy! :)

el tenista
07-03-2009, 03:11 PM

A shame.

Don't agree with you at all, sorry. Nobody has to be disappointed, Roger is the better player and there was never a real chance to win today.
What a shame, he played semifinals. :rolleyes:

sundog
07-03-2009, 03:49 PM
Well I thought I would be depressed that Tommy lost, but I'm not. I'm really proud of him for his great run at Wimbledon. He made it to the semi's and he should be proud of that. And he's back in the top 20! That is just awesome! Way to go Tommy!

Did you guys see the point in the 5th game of the 3rd set? Roger hit a dropshot so Tommy ran up to the net and dropped it back over. Roger ran to it and Tommy waved his arms trying to block Roger's shot. Roger ended up hitting it out and they both looked at each other with big smiles. It was too cute! :D

Auf Geht's for the hardcourt season, Tommy!

<Eve>
07-03-2009, 03:56 PM
Well I thought I would be depressed that Tommy lost, but I'm not. I'm really proud of him for his great run at Wimbledon. He made it to the semi's and he should be proud of that. And he's back in the top 20! That is just awesome! Way to go Tommy!

Did you guys see the point in the 5th game of the 3rd set? Roger hit a dropshot so Tommy ran up to the net and dropped it back over. Roger ran to it and Tommy waved his arms trying to block Roger's shot. Roger ended up hitting it out and they both looked at each other with big smiles. It was too cute! :D

Auf Geht's for the hardcourt season, Tommy!
Of COURSE I saw that!! :lol: I also said on msn: That was so cute!! Must be us females who think it was cute :p

That really was a great point; it showed the respect between both players. I thought it was amazing they both could laugh about it like it was just practice :D

sundog
07-03-2009, 04:02 PM
I was going to say it was adorable but I toned it down the for guys around here! LOL
I think that was my favorite point ever! :p

thefly
07-03-2009, 04:10 PM
Don't agree with you at all, sorry. Nobody has to be disappointed, Roger is the better player and there was never a real chance to win today.
What a shame, he played semifinals. :rolleyes:

Yeah, these last weeks saw tremendous achievements by Tommy, and especially in the light of where Tommy was standing just some months ago, I should be more than happy for him. And I am. Or I was the last two days. I was filled with so much joy I can't describe it. But today ... today was all about that match, about that one more step to achieve true greatness, make history. And I disagree with Tommy not having had a chance today. He could very well have taken the first set, and then who knows what could have happened. I'm aware even while writing this that I'm not really fair right now, that my expectations were ridiculously high, but I guess that comes with the success. And because how incredible a player Tommy is, and I feel that with saying "hey, well done, the expected clear loss against Roger, but that's ok" I'm not doing him justice.

To sum it up, I guess I'm just torn right now between the magnitude of Tommy's achievements and the realization that there may not be that many opportunities, not that many semis left ...
But I'm sure I'll be over it by next week, and looking forward to the hard courts - because, to be honest, grass was fun, but the HC's are the real deal, right? ;)
Will be interesting to see whether Tommy shows up in Indy (which is two weeks away), but I'm almost certain that he will kick off with winning LA ... :p

Wait a sec, maybe I already CAN risk a small glimps backwards ... 15 matches, just two loses and both to Roger ... ok, that IS pretty cool ... ;)

sundog
07-03-2009, 04:23 PM
To sum it up, I guess I'm just torn right now between the magnitude of Tommy's achievements and the realization that there may not be that many opportunities, not that many semis left ...I felt the same way before the match today, which is why I thought I'd be depressed if he lost. But to my surprise I guess I'm just focusing on all that he's achieved in the last few months. He's playing the best tennis of his career I think. Still, I would love to see him win a grand slam title one day. USO anyone? ;)

And he'd better win LA! I'm going to be there all week just to see him! :D

el tenista
07-03-2009, 05:36 PM
Yeah, these last weeks saw tremendous achievements by Tommy, and especially in the light of where Tommy was standing just some months ago, I should be more than happy for him. And I am. Or I was the last two days. I was filled with so much joy I can't describe it. But today ... today was all about that match, about that one more step to achieve true greatness, make history. And I disagree with Tommy not having had a chance today. He could very well have taken the first set, and then who knows what could have happened. I'm aware even while writing this that I'm not really fair right now, that my expectations were ridiculously high, but I guess that comes with the success. And because how incredible a player Tommy is, and I feel that with saying "hey, well done, the expected clear loss against Roger, but that's ok" I'm not doing him justice.

To sum it up, I guess I'm just torn right now between the magnitude of Tommy's achievements and the realization that there may not be that many opportunities, not that many semis left ...
But I'm sure I'll be over it by next week, and looking forward to the hard courts - because, to be honest, grass was fun, but the HC's are the real deal, right? ;)
Will be interesting to see whether Tommy shows up in Indy (which is two weeks away), but I'm almost certain that he will kick off with winning LA ... :p

Wait a sec, maybe I already CAN risk a small glimps backwards ... 15 matches, just two loses and both to Roger ... ok, that IS pretty cool ... ;)

You got the point ;)

Lugburz
07-03-2009, 06:30 PM
I agree with you thefly on this match today.It was really all about this one,so don't feel alone,my expectations were also high!
Anyway,incredible achievement and awesome comeback,semis at W sounds more than amazing so looking forward to Tommy's season! :devil:

07-03-2009, 10:14 PM
My expections weren't high so I can just say I was proud of Tommy :yeah: How many other players are even in a GS Semi-Final at the age of 31? May be my expectations
were higher than I thought because I had to come back and edit this because I had first said "GS Final" :lol:

leng jai
07-04-2009, 08:37 AM
Let me sum up this match:

Fedclown served liked a monster and held easily 98% of the time.
Fedclown played an excellent match, and the stats show this.
Haasi's forehand is mediocre on grass and Fedclown exploited this.
This is a terrible match up for Haas, especially on grass. Haas' best play on grass is S&V which is a terrible tactic against Fedclown. His ground game on grass is mediocre compared to hard court.
Haas played an awful tiebreak besides that one good passing shot after Fedclown shanked a volley.
Haas is a delicious specimen of a man who I would turn gay for, if I wasn't actually already gay.

Interestingly, Haasi has lost to the the eventual winner in every slam this year (Nadull and Fedclown twice).

<Eve>
07-04-2009, 08:56 AM
Let me sum up this match:

Fedclown served liked a monster and held easily 98% of the time.
Fedclown played an excellent match, and the stats show this.
Haasi's forehand is mediocre on grass and Fedclown exploited this.
This is a terrible match up for Haas, especially on grass. Haas' best play on grass is S&V which is a terrible tactic against Fedclown. His ground game on grass is mediocre compared to hard court.
Haas played an awful tiebreak besides that one good passing shot after Fedclown shanked a volley.
Haas is a delicious specimen of a man who I would turn gay for, if I wasn't actually already gay.

Interestingly, Haasi has lost to the the eventual winner in every slam this year (Nadull and Fedclown twice).
Agree on everything but the gay part :lol: I'll stay straight because of delicious Haas then :drool:
Oh and i'll change mediocre into 'not as good as Fed's' because with mediocre play he wouldn't be a SFist

thefly
07-05-2009, 11:50 AM
I'm wondering how much Tommy's leg was and may still be bothering him. During the match against Roger, the German commentator (who is actually Tommy's brother-in-law, for those of you who don't know that nice little fact ;)) mentioned that Tommy has some muscle issues with his (right?) leg, obviously already since Halle. Tommy also shouted that he wanted to "cut it off" at one point during the Federer match. And now I'm currently catching up with the match vs. Nole and I can see him struggling now and then with the leg. I hope he'll get over this over the next few weeks ...

Btw, watching Tommy on Fox Sports is almost like watching Murray on BBC - lots of love for Tommy from the commentators. I like it. ;)

juv26
07-05-2009, 12:21 PM
I'm wondering how much Tommy's leg was and may still be bothering him. During the match against Roger, the German commentator (who is actually Tommy's brother-in-law, for those of you who don't know that nice little fact ;)) mentioned that Tommy has some muscle issues with his (right?) leg, obviously already since Halle. Tommy also shouted that he wanted to "cut it off" at one point during the Federer match. And now I'm currently catching up with the match vs. Nole and I can see him struggling now and then with the leg. I hope he'll get over this over the next few weeks ...

Btw, watching Tommy on Fox Sports is almost like watching Murray on BBC - lots of love for Tommy from the commentators. I like it. ;)

:yeah:

Tommy fan
07-06-2009, 09:55 AM
A bit late but wanted to congratulate Tommy for (another) great tourniment.
He's been in great form since RG and I really hope he keeps it up. I didn't think he could win Halle, beating Kohlschreiber and Djokovic in big thrillers and I was more than happy to see him continue playing so well in Wimbledon as well, reaching first GS SF in a while after Surviving a HUGE thriller against Cillic, that no one almost thought he could turn around after being down a break few times in the 5th set, and then having impressive wins over a good player like Andreev, and then, shocking Djokovic again with stunning performance.
He fell to Roger in the SF.. But no shame in that.. maybe he could have taken the 1st set, but it doesn't matter now, he lost to one of the greatest players ever and the eventual champion (just like in RG.. Only then he was a bit closer to winning..) so no shame in that..
I really didn't see this good shape of the last 2 months coming, and I think I can speak for all of us while saying it.. We proud of you Tommy, thanks for the lovely moments in the last 2 months, hopefully many more to come!

thefly
07-07-2009, 07:03 PM
Finally manage to finish the Djokovic match. Nice one. And damn it, the next match is soooo far away, I can't WAIT!

Anyway ... I thought a quote from the US commentator after Tommy's win over Nole is the best way to cap this great tournament off:

"As a human story, there's none better."

sundog
07-08-2009, 03:14 AM
Love your post, Tommy fan. Especially this part:

We proud of you Tommy, thanks for the lovely moments in the last 2 months, hopefully many more to come!

Amen to that! Gooooo Tommy! Bring on the hardcourts!