Highest ace-point ratio ever? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Highest ace-point ratio ever?

its.like.that
06-12-2009, 04:38 PM
In today's Karlovic v Roddick match, there were a total of 50 aces served from 146 points played.

That gives a ratio of: 50/146 = 0.3425, meaning that on average throughout the match, more than 1 in every 3 points consisted of an ace being served.

Can anyone think of a higher ratio they've ever seen? Or is this a new record?

:D

mitalidas
06-12-2009, 04:48 PM
Braccialli v/s Karlovic had a very high number, over 80 aces, in 5 sets Wimbledon 2005.

Feli v/s Pimpim at Australia (2005) was another one.

ATP stats can give you the total number of points in each of those

mitalidas
06-12-2009, 04:52 PM
Karlovic/Bracciali = 84/391 = .21 < Roddick/Karlovic

Look back on a 3-setter for Ivanisevic/Sampras, probably come up with ratios closer to .3

pesto
06-12-2009, 04:58 PM
Only 25/146 = 17% points won against the serve in this match. Glad it's over.

its.like.that
06-12-2009, 05:11 PM
Only 25/146 = 17% points won against the serve in this match. Glad it's over.

Well aside from the aces, there were also plenty of uncontrolled returns that went out, and plenty of rallies that consisted of serve-return-put away volley.

It would be interesting to see stats on the average number of shots per rally in this match, and the breakdown of rallies that were 1,2,3 and 4+ shots long.

:lol:

mitalidas
06-12-2009, 05:13 PM
It would be interesting to see stats on the average number of shots per rally in this match
:lol:

I see what you mean. But "interesting" as a word to describe any such match is ill placed.

GlennMirnyi
06-12-2009, 06:23 PM
It's always very interesting to check such a display of technique.

Mint Chip
06-12-2009, 06:47 PM
What I would like to know is there a match that Roddick ever played when his matches wasn't boring? And the same goes for Karlovic

Everko
06-12-2009, 06:55 PM
What I would like to know is there a match that Roddick ever played when his matches wasn't boring?

Roddick vs Kohli: Aus 08
vs Gasguet: Wimbledon quarters 07
vs Gulbis: Us open

and several more. I hate Roddick but I hardly find him boring as a player. (Its also great because he loses those is entertaining matches more often)

scoobs
06-12-2009, 07:03 PM
This grass needs to be slowed down a bit :o

sheva07
06-12-2009, 07:05 PM
Roddick vs. El Aynaoui @ AO was boring?

MrChopin
06-12-2009, 07:07 PM

The opposite is true... speed them up and have more of them. We have enough slow courts these days. There is no more S&V on hard. At least keep it alive (or "bring it back to life") on grass.

GlennMirnyi
06-12-2009, 07:11 PM

Even more?

mitalidas
06-12-2009, 07:12 PM

Might have little to do with surface, and lot to do with the players.

Karlo had 55 aces in his match against Hewitt at the French.

scoobs
06-12-2009, 07:14 PM
The opposite is true... speed them up and have more of them. We have enough slow courts these days. There is no more S&V on hard. At least keep it alive (or "bring it back to life") on grass.
Speeding up the grass won't spark a renaissance in SV unless the hardcourts are correspondingly sped up - to make it worthwhile for kids and juniors coming up to adopt a serve-volley style and get success with it for more than just 1 month of the year. All that will happen if only the grass is sped up or the balls made lighter is that you'll just get big servers dominating again, whether they come to net behind it or not.

GlennMirnyi
06-12-2009, 07:16 PM
Speeding up the grass won't spark a renaissance in SV unless the hardcourts are correspondingly sped up - to make it worthwhile for kids and juniors coming up to adopt a serve-volley style and get success with it for more than just 1 month of the year. All that will happen if only the grass is sped up or the balls made lighter is that you'll just get big servers dominating again, whether they come to net behind it or not.

Actually neither is a good solution.

The only solution to bring back technique and adroitness to tennis is to reduce racket head size. Speeding back surfaces will only work as a palliative solution.

scoobs
06-12-2009, 07:18 PM

The only solution to bring back technique and adroitness to tennis is to reduce racket head size. Speeding back surfaces will only work as a palliative solution.
racquet head sizes almost certainly, and possibly also look at tightening the regulations around string materials and configurations.

It'll never happen.

I was joking about slowing the grass down.

I just think people moaning about speeding the grass up is lazy thinking and wouldn't bring about the outcome they claim to desire.

its.like.that
06-12-2009, 08:05 PM

:eek: Some big words there Gu ;).

But in essence, I agree with what you are saying.

There should be restrictions on racquet head size, and materials. The element of skill required to play the game needs to be increased, and mugs like Karlo erradicated.

And there shouldn't be any more clowns out there running around with a racquet 2/3rds of their body size, like Michael Chang.

fast_clay
06-12-2009, 08:28 PM
the average shots per point must've been somewhere around 1.7... :lol:

GlennMirnyi
06-12-2009, 08:54 PM
racquet head sizes almost certainly, and possibly also look at tightening the regulations around string materials and configurations.

It'll never happen.

I was joking about slowing the grass down.

I just think people moaning about speeding the grass up is lazy thinking and wouldn't bring about the outcome they claim to desire.

There should be restrictions on racquet head size, and materials. The element of skill required to play the game needs to be increased, and mugs like Karlo erradicated.

And there shouldn't be any more clowns out there running around with a racquet 2/3rds of their body size, like Michael Chang.

Yep.

I heard some people are asking for a reduction of head size, as we speak. It would work pretty nicely and would eventually stop clowns using junior rackets from winning Grand Slams.

I believe that restrictions on materials are a bit utopian. There's no way to stop scientific development, and it would be a retrograde step. I believe in rules changing again and again concerning rackets and strings to keep the power surge in check. That would also oblige racket manufacturers to find different ways to still give a bit of power to players, without breaking the aforementioned restrictions. :)

Smoke944
06-12-2009, 08:57 PM

How would restrictions on equipment hurt Karlovic in particular? :confused:

Har-Tru
06-12-2009, 09:16 PM

that wouldn't give you serve and volley, it would give you serve.

speed is fine in queen's.

Mint Chip
06-12-2009, 09:44 PM
Roddick vs Kohli: Aus 08
vs Gasguet: Wimbledon quarters 07
vs Gulbis: Us open

and several more. I hate Roddick but I hardly find him boring as a player. (Its also great because he loses those is entertaining matches more often)

Gulbis had a meltdown from the lack of talent on the other side of the net, Gasquet woke the hell up after being down 2 sets and a break to win a good match. It was interesting because of Gasquet's backhand passing shots nothing else.Definately wasn't Roddick's serve. Kohlschreiber against Roddick was an okay match wasn't that good but glad he lost. Him against El Aynaoui was preety much sad that due to that fact Roddick won. Baseliners should never lose to Roddick no matter what. :cool:

sammy01
06-12-2009, 09:51 PM

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, players can barely get serves back in court from the likes of roddick and ivo now, speed it up more and even less returns will go in and you will see less volleys.

Dini
06-12-2009, 10:00 PM
I sometimes feel sorry for Ivo which so wrong given that he's given players so much pain in the backside. But take the awesome serve away and he's a top 200 player at best.

its.like.that
06-13-2009, 07:22 AM
How would restrictions on equipment hurt Karlovic in particular? :confused:

Without the extra power, Karlo's serve won't be nearly as effective, and with a smaller racquet head, a player with a low skill level like Karlo will miss-hit every second shot.

its.like.that
06-13-2009, 07:27 AM
I sometimes feel sorry for Ivo which so wrong given that he's given players so much pain in the backside. But take the awesome serve away and he's a top 200 player at best.

No way.

Isner and Karlo would be futures at best without the serve.

feuselino
06-13-2009, 07:52 AM
Scary thing is that Roger already uses one of the smallest head-sizes on the tour... At least I think I read that somewhere...

Black Adam
06-13-2009, 08:19 AM
Pimpim uses a very small head and look at the aces he slams down. You are almost as bad as Formula 1 trying to change what's already perfect. That kind of tennis is gone and chances are it won't be back.