First Impressions [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

First Impressions

bleu_cheese
06-11-2009, 05:25 AM
I'm relatively new to tennis, at least compared to most posters on MTF, who have been watching the sport since 1893. Anyways, my question is... How important are first impressions?

Here's an example. The first tennis match I watched seriously was between Murray and Gasquet in some American Masters tournament a few years back. Gasquet won the match, and impressed me with his attitude, at least in comparison with the screaming Murray. However, I can't help but wonder whether I'd be a fan of Murray had he won the match.

What do you think? If you watch a player for the first time, do you form an opinion instantly, or do you hold your judgment?

Arkulari
06-11-2009, 05:30 AM
if I see a player I like instantly, I start follow him and check for myself if he is what I thought he was, if not, I just simply stop follow their career :shrug:

Har-Tru
06-11-2009, 05:47 AM
first impressions are deceiving... I tend to wait till I see some matches before I make a judgement.

Lebeuf
06-11-2009, 06:35 AM
I remember in 2003 I watched a Federer match against one of the top player at the time but can't remember which one , I just didnt knew who Federer was at the time but he was ranked number 3 , that i remember like it was yesterday.Well he played like a God and I instantly became a fan.Im glad I saw the career of Federer cause who knows when we'll see another one like him.Nobody seems to have the talent he was showing way back.

As for the first impression thing , sometimes it's not the tennis in itself but just the ''character'' , but sometimes it is the tennis.To take Murray as an example , the first time I saw him played I immediately hate him to death.His face and uncool look , his very annoying COME ON , listen Andy , you got millions of $ and you are a good tennis player but you just don't have ''it''.

Nadal is a funny case for me because i dont like him but i dont hate him either which is weird for a player as good and as charismatic as he is.

The only tennis player I truly hate is Murray in fact.

xohxmyx
06-11-2009, 08:34 AM
Nadal is a funny case for me because i dont like him but i dont hate him either which is weird for a player as good and as charismatic as he is.

The only tennis player I truly hate is Murray in fact.

i can relate to that completly!
i HATE murray he just looks annoying and acts annoying he screams/swears to much and his not really pleasing to look at :lol:
and i dont hate or like nadal....well i like him i like him off court he is to genuine and good natured to hate some how but i think his playing style is a little boring... dont know

i think its more important about the players character then if they win or lose....the reason i became such a fan of Gonzalez was because of the way he acted on court(yes i mean the racket breaking umpire argueing parts:p) he was entertaing and when he stopped going crazy it turned out he was a pretty good player
and i remeber watching federer way back in the day i liked him because of how easily he seemed to to move on court and win his matches i just kind of thought....hmm i'd like to know more about that guy.

i think the more you watch tennis the more you begin to pick your "favourites" certain players will just stand out to you more then others....

CmonAussie
06-11-2009, 08:40 AM
~~~
McEnroe, Connors, Cash, Becker, Agassi, Hewitt, Federer & Nadal all gave me the impression from the 1st time that they were unique/likeable.!

Some like McEnroe were rude, still some kind of charisma there.
Federer came across as a samurai the 1st time.
Agassi just with his colouful style & hitting the ball so hard.
Nadal looked like a warrior form age 16.

Goldenoldie
06-11-2009, 08:45 AM
I saw Murray live at Eastbourne in a Davis Cup tie, and thought he was obnoxious, but his tennis spoke for itself.

Now both his tennis and his behaviour have improved tremendously, and I am a big supporter.

So first impressions can change.

Bargearse
06-11-2009, 09:04 AM
First impressions aren't always lasting, but sometimes they are.

I didn't think much of Gustavo Kuerten until I saw him play a match against Rusedski up close and personal about 10-11 years ago. It was at the Sydney International at White City and I was sitting about 4 metres from the court. His backhand was (is) a thing of beauty - his entire game was just so much fun to watch. I was a huge fan after that.

On the other hand, Rusedski is a player I never liked from the get go and this match did nothing to change my mind. He whinged, whined... was kind of irritating.

pica_pica
06-11-2009, 09:15 AM
The first ever tennis match I watched is the Australian Open 2008 final, in which Djokovic beat Tsonga to get his first slam. I'm a big fan of Nole now, but I think it has no relation at all to that match. :shrug: The only thing I got from that match is learning about the rules in tennis and getting to know 2 players. I don't know, maybe I knew too little about tennis back then to appreciate anything.

After that the next I watched is Wimbledon 2008, starting from R16. The first player to really impress me with his tennis is actually Federer. His smooth and elegant tennis gave me a good first impression. I rooted for him in the final therefore. I was disappointed he lost but at the same time I started to notice Rafa, who didn't give me a good first impression to be honest. He looks way too brutal for me but over the past year I have greatly warmed to him due to the many inspiring press conferences he gave. The Wimbledon 2008 final is what really converts me into a tennis fan. Afterwards I searched about tennis players and their stories in the Internet. And I came across Novak's impersonations and other stories about him. Don't ask me why, he somehow captured my heart immediately. I always have crushes on guys with this kind of personality, whether in my real life or not. Plus I really like his tennis. It's not smooth like Federer's but it's crisp and exciting in its way.

Are first impressions important? IMO some people tend to give good first impressions easily but it's not everything. Personality in depth will determine one's popularity in the long term. It's the same case for tennis.

pesto
06-11-2009, 09:33 AM
First impressions are obviously important to your own feelings about a player, but might be well off-the-mark in terms of a fair assessment - particularly when you see a player for the first time as a teenager, and they still have lots of growing to do, physically, mentally, and in terms of playing style.

Burrow
06-11-2009, 09:50 AM
My favourite player is Safin, I liked him instantly because of stupid reasons, like his clothing, then I liked the temper and his powerful game. I don't really think I will ever like a player as much as him again, I can relate to him in a lot of things.

I never make impressions on whether the guy is winning or not.

Ferrero Forever
06-11-2009, 09:54 AM
I think they're probably important. But the first time I ever noticed Ferrero he lost, so I guess its not always related to first impressions.

Audacity
06-11-2009, 10:09 AM
I've liked Hewitt since I was very young. His determination and fire on court is what made me really like him.