Who is the best Mental recoverer? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Who is the best Mental recoverer?

Black Adam
06-11-2009, 12:05 AM
By mental recovery I mean going through a series of heartbreaking losses and still having he guts to push your self to keep on playing despite previous heartbreaks. It can also involve having a certain mental block and still pursuing despite it.

I would go with PHM, Roddick and Ancic.
PHM has choked through some of the most heartbreaking losses whereby choking was heavily involved.
Roddick still keeps on playing despite missed opportunities and the streaking losses to Fed.
As for Ancic, I wonder what it is that keeps him going on after all the niggling injuries, the guy just recovers and continues to play.

Har-Tru
06-11-2009, 12:12 AM
Roddick is a good choice. Then again, he sucks and he knows it.

Dini
06-11-2009, 12:13 AM
Paulo. :sad: But I'm not sure he's recovered mentally from all his inexplicable losses though, otherwise he would have gotten some decent results. He doesn't give up and keeps on pushing but to no avail really; falls short everytime.

Andy Roddick comes across as a guy who works his cotton socks off and has a positive attitude no matter what the opposition is, even if he's facing Fed for the 290803th time. I think he gets my vote.

alfonsojose
06-11-2009, 12:20 AM
you mean recoverer?

Black Adam
06-11-2009, 12:21 AM
you mean recoverer?
Thanks, I knew there was something fishy with the thread title.

Black Adam
06-11-2009, 12:21 AM
In the 80's I would go with Lendl given his mental blocks and failures against Connors and McEnroe (they even referred to him as "chicken") and how he later on managed to recover from this mental blocks and wrote one of the most dominant pages of Tennis history.

finishingmove
06-11-2009, 12:22 AM
boggo

Har-Tru
06-11-2009, 12:24 AM
In the 80's I would go with Lendl given his mental blocks and failures against Connors and McEnroe (they even referred to him as "chicken") and how he later on managed to recover from this mental blocks and wrote one of the most dominant pages of Tennis history.

Not really.

boggo

Too good.

Black Adam
06-11-2009, 12:26 AM
Not really.

Yes really. Like Sampras in the 90's, Fedy in the 2000's, Lendl was the most dominant player in the 80's. It doesn't look that dominant because the era was a very strong one :p

out_here_grindin
06-11-2009, 12:33 AM
Roddick and Ancic are both great choices.

but the greatest of all time: Donald "mental giant" Young

Har-Tru
06-11-2009, 12:37 AM
Yes really. Like Sampras in the 90's, Fedy in the 2000's, Lendl was the most dominant player in the 80's. It doesn't look that dominant because the era was a very strong one :p

The most succesful? Yes. The most dominant? Maybe, depending on your definition of dominance. One of the most dominant of tennis history? Hardly.

He lost most of his finals, held a losing H2H in slam finals against Connors (0-2), Wilander (2-3) and Becker (0-3), players from three different generations. Couldn't win on grass and even had a losing record on hard court slam finals (5-6). He lost at least a slam final in EVERY year starting in 1981 until 1989.

Don't get me wrong, Lendl was a great player. The best of his decade. But "dominant" is just a word I wouldn't use to describe him.

Dini
06-11-2009, 12:38 AM
I don't know if this answers the question, but Federer's first years on tour was a complete case of mental midgetry. He was quite a head case in the early 2000's and from what I saw I never believed that he'd go on and achieve so much. I guess after winning his first GS he never looked back. :shrug:

Black Adam
06-11-2009, 12:39 AM
The most succesful? Yes. The most dominant? Maybe, depending on your definition of dominance. One of the most dominant of tennis history? Hardly.

He lost most of his finals, held a losing H2H in slam finals against Connors (0-2), Wilander (2-3) and Becker (0-3), players from three different generations. Couldn't win on grass and even had a losing record on hard court slam finals (5-6). He lost at least a slam final in EVERY year starting in 1981 until 1989.

Don't get me wrong, Lendl was a great player. The best of his decade. But "dominant" is just a word I wouldn't use to describe him.
Weeks spent at number 1?? He was the guy to beat in all those years and he had a terrific consistency. Let's just agree to disagree;)

Black Adam
06-11-2009, 12:40 AM
I don't know if this answers the question, but Federer's first years on tour was a complete case of mental midgetry. He was quite a head case in the early 2000's and from what I saw I never believed that he'd go on and achieve so much. I guess after winning his first GS he never looked back. :shrug:
I guess it was a mental block, whereby his results weren't matching his tennis ability. He overcame that and the rest is history==> good recovery, he could have wind up like a wasted talent like Gasquet.

Johnny Groove
06-11-2009, 12:42 AM
PHM for sure. Also Tommy Haas.

Sometimes mentally being able to deal with injury after injury is more impressive than coming back from epic choke after epic choke.

Har-Tru
06-11-2009, 12:42 AM
Weeks spent at number 1?? He was the guy to beat in all those years and he had a terrific consistency. Let's just agree to disagree;)

He surely was the man to beat. And got beaten accordingly. :cool:

Dini
06-11-2009, 12:43 AM

:lol:

Black Adam
06-11-2009, 12:47 AM
:lol:

I also agree with Tommy Haas who has had niggling shoulder injuries. I would go as far as to say that after his stint as the best number 2 ever, he could have done more if it weren't for those injuries. He is living prrof of a guy who recovers from dissapointing injuries to have a good run from time to time.

out_here_grindin
06-11-2009, 12:49 AM
Nishikori if he can come back strong.

Dini
06-11-2009, 12:50 AM
Well I think we can all agree that Gulbis isn't one of them. :o :tape: :sad:

Gnomey
06-11-2009, 12:38 PM
I reckon Federer still deserved a special mention. I mean, he's been raised to such high heights for years that the sudden string of huge losses last year (AO, FO, and Wimby), the contrast of it all could've thrown another into deep depression. Needless to say, at that level, everything's more magnified than that of your average player's losses. But he didn't chuck a Borg, he kept on trying and heck, he's won 2 grand slams since then.

Goldenoldie
06-11-2009, 01:15 PM
boggo

I didn't know he'd recovered. I must have missed it.

R.Federer
06-11-2009, 01:49 PM
Hewitt!
He has been at the top, has not had a great win in a long time, but seems to still believe he can get a slam win. Some journalist asked him how he is doing this week in week out and keeping a positive outlook and he answered "Well that's why I'm here and you are there" :lol:

Fumus
06-11-2009, 02:20 PM
Agassi.

Black Adam
06-11-2009, 02:49 PM
Agassi.
Oh dear, how could I forget the biggest recovery of all of them, thanks mate.
Blake coming from a broken neck to hae his 2005 run was also one heck of a recovery.

zoparrat
06-11-2009, 03:33 PM
Oh dear, how could I forget the biggest recovery of all of them, thanks mate.
Blake coming from a broken neck to hae his 2005 run was also one heck of a recovery.

And Thomas Muster.