Simon takes out Grigor 7-6 7-6 [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Simon takes out Grigor 7-6 7-6

green25814
06-10-2009, 06:02 PM
Simon was too intelligent and savvy on the big points.

asmazif
06-10-2009, 06:04 PM
Oh ffs, stop losing tight matches, dammit.

Chiakifug
06-10-2009, 06:04 PM
Very entertaining match, importent win for Simon. Had a bit of a bad spell in the second but finished strong, looked like his old self most of the time. Must be glad to be off clay.

HeretiC
06-10-2009, 06:06 PM
Lucky Simon for playing an inexperienced kid and escaping a straight sets defeat. :lol:

FedererBulgaria
:o:o So misse chances and SET POINTS:confused:

rhinooooo
Fun match. Dimi has a more enjoyable game than most of the top 100, I hope he makes it.

Wasn't solid enough on the big points, but responded to the setbacks well. He was screwed in the 2nd set. A break up and *40-15, Simon hits a ball out but called in. Dimi doesn't challenge as he only has one left. Bad decision in the end, as he got broken right back.

These faster surfaces are alot better for Gilles.

Wolbo
In 50 years time Simon will proudly tell his grandchildren that he once beat the legendary Dimitrov. :worship:

CooCooCachoo
I love watching Grisha. His game and attitude are great. Saw him on grass last year and thought he was bad. He's come a loooong way in a short time though. Great prospect, this kid.

Mint Chip
06-10-2009, 06:07 PM
Never in Doubt. Should of betted more on Simon though

Horatio Caine
06-10-2009, 06:08 PM
First glimpse of Dimitrov, and I'm not too surprised that he is still stuck in the doldrums as far as rankings go. Some nice touches here and there, but really too hit-and-miss.

Simon was too solid, but really that was an almost embarrassing standard for a current #7 ranked player. Not that he is going anywhere soon...currently a top 15 player on 2009 performances. Not a hater, but he disappointed me.

HeretiC
Dimitrov had 2 SPs in the first set, 1 on his serve and a very makable one. Up a break in the second set 4-2 40-15 and ball from Simon goes out, line judge says nothing and kid didn't challenge :retard:, it would have been 5-2.

FedFan_2007
GriGOAT is just biding his time before he wins all the slams.

jonathancrane
Shiet

green25814
I really like Grigor Dimitrov's game, but he still has some way to go IMO.

Chiakifug
In 50 years time Simon will proudly tell his grandchildren that he once beat the legendary Dimitrov. :worship:

Twice ;)

FedererBulgaria
06-10-2009, 06:09 PM
He plays MUCH,MUCH bettre tennis againg Nadal!

nanoman
Finally saw Grigoat in action.
He was robbed the 2nd set. Idiot was too stupid to challenge.

Overall I thought he played on a pretty good level.
His serve needs a lot of improvement. It is ,frankly, crap. His returns are hit and miss. His BH drive however is already better than Fedmug's though.

FedFan_2007
Grisha will take the Wimbledon WC and take it all the way for the title! YE #1 for sure!

seljanin
06-10-2009, 06:10 PM
Pity. Dimitrov played a fine match, but once again failed upon the important points. Several nice, enjoyable, low volleys by Dimitrov :yeah: I like Dimitrov's game, it's pretty fluent and watchable, in my opinion.

Chiseller
He was lucky that Grigor didn't challenge the ball at 40-15!
Was a bit dull imo. Simon was passive but Grigor clearly lacks in experience to make something out of it.

LinkMage
Simon will hopefully lose next round.

+1

A pusher has no place winning on grass.

GlennMirnyi
Simon will hopefully lose next round.

out_here_grindin
06-10-2009, 06:11 PM
Good match. Dimitrov was a couple of points from winning this thing.
He has nice shots and touch, but it seems that at this point in his career he is trying to hard to impress people with his shots rather than being strategic in points. This should change and maybe soon.

HeretiC
06-10-2009, 06:12 PM

Twice, he beat him in Marseille few months ago in a similar match (chances wise), only in 3 sets.

yellowboy906
06-10-2009, 06:15 PM

In 50 years time dimitrov will proudly tell his grandchildren that making many people believe he's the next big thing is quite an achievement.

rocketassist
06-10-2009, 06:18 PM
I thought Dimitrov reminded me of Youzhny. Great single hander and decent forehand but it's nothing like Fed's. Good net touch as well. He'll make the second week at Wimbledon a few times, whether he can do anything else depends on his improvement.

Simon was his usual level, but had enough experience to hold him off, but tennis loses when he wins. He won thanks to a few body serves, effective enough on the big points.

Wolbo
06-10-2009, 06:18 PM
Twice, he beat him in Marseille few months ago in a similar match (chances wise), only in 3 sets.In 50 years Simon will be 74 so he is forgiven for not remembering all the nitty gritty details.

pica_pica
06-10-2009, 06:19 PM
:yeah: Good match, with many beautiful shots :inlove:. This Grisha has real potential :). His backhand is nice to watch. He still needs more experience in big points but technically he can rival the big players. Good luck in Wimby, Grisha! :D
And Gillou, nice defense. Imo the creative play of Grisha has forced some good shots out of him. Good luck for the rest of the tournament! :)

sammy01
06-10-2009, 06:25 PM
simons my fave player and dimitrov is my fave young hope.

the match was patchy but im glad simon stepped it up when needed.

both looked smoking hot!

FedFan_2007
06-10-2009, 06:25 PM
Grisha will easily win 17-20 slams and 400 weeks at #1.

FedererBulgaria
06-10-2009, 06:29 PM
Grisha will easily win 17-20 slams and 400 weeks at #1.

Of course:rocker:But first top 100:lol:

HeretiC
06-10-2009, 06:31 PM
In 50 years Simon will be 74 so he is forgiven for not remembering all the nitty gritty details.

Dimitrov forehand has been improved in consistency a lot since the last time I saw him. If Lundgren keeps carving him at this rate, Simon might cherish this 2 wins soon enough.

GlennMirnyi
06-10-2009, 06:32 PM
I've watched Dimitrov and he does have a nice game, but the way he's overrated makes me sick.

The bandwagon also makes me feel nauseous.

FedererBulgaria
06-10-2009, 06:34 PM
I've watched Dimitrov and he does have a nice game, but the way he's overrated makes me sick.

Take it easy,look at him after 2-3 years:cool:

ballbasher101
06-10-2009, 06:46 PM
Unlike some of my fellow MTF members I for one do not jump to premature conclusions. Grigor is a good prospect no doubt about that. He is quite young so we are going to have to wait a few years to see if he fulfills his potential. He does need to improve a few things in his game, his serve needs work and also that forehand of his which leaked errors on big points against Simon. I like the backhand a lot :D.

MatchFederer
06-10-2009, 06:57 PM
I am a fan of this guys game. I find Grigor's game to be very interesting and pleasurable to watch. I can't wait to see if he advances and maybe he will become a major winner, or maybe not. Regardless, I really like this guys game.

CooCooCachoo
06-10-2009, 06:58 PM

I understand what you are saying about the bandwagon, but I am very impressed by Dimitrov's all-court game and his behaviour on court. Most of all, his rapid progress is really encouraging. I have very little doubt that he will be a defining force in and of men's tennis in the years to come.

FedFan_2007
06-10-2009, 07:01 PM
Glenn - I couldn't give a shit or rat's ass about how the Grisha bandwagon makes you sick. Man up or get the hell out of MTF. Seriously we're all sick and tired of your fucking daily bitchfest.

Arkulari
06-10-2009, 07:02 PM
Simon almost lost in straight sets to a guy who's currently #361 :rolls:
he's in the worst form I've ever seen :eek:

MatchFederer
06-10-2009, 07:03 PM
I understand what you are saying about the bandwagon, but I am very impressed by Dimitrov's all-court game and his behaviour on court. Most of all, his rapid progress is really encouraging. I have very little doubt that he will be a defining force in and of men's tennis in the years to come.

Definitely, the all-court game is especially appealing. He already looks quite well rounded. I'd be surprised if he doesn't develop into at the very least a good pro who will provide us with some great tennis. That one hander is very stylish.

Chiseller
06-10-2009, 07:03 PM
I want to be his only fanboy and feel special for being the only one who sees his potential.. :hysteric: [more blablabla]

MatchFederer
06-10-2009, 07:05 PM
Glenn will warm to a guy who he will inevitably see as someone who plays 'real' tennis. He has already admitted thinking Dimitrov has a nice game, give him a break! :p

sammy01
06-10-2009, 07:09 PM
id take dimitrov over the likes of cilic anyday. dimitrov showed good net play and some beautiful shots. if he learns how to put it all together consistently he has a chance to be a very good player. his game doesn't look like he is limited in certain areas like a cilic.

green25814
06-10-2009, 07:10 PM
Dimitrov is overrated because he plays like a very young Federer. Unfortunately this doesnt mean as much as you might think. Federer went through a huge process in his early twenties, which transformed him as a player. Basically he started working REALLY hard at his game, and Dimitrov has to do the same. He cant just expect to naturally evolve as a tennis player.

riff
06-10-2009, 07:36 PM
too early to tell, he has to move in the ranks, all he has done is impress on several matches vs some top payers
BH is very shaky, second serve needs improvement, 1st is OK when in, mental stability is a problem - may be still young
good luck, and a lot of work

Har-Tru
06-10-2009, 07:41 PM
I hope I'm wrong cause I really like his game, but choking doesn't go away...

Corey Feldman
06-10-2009, 08:12 PM
Nishikori impressed me more last year :shrug:

Guy Haines
06-10-2009, 08:22 PM
Some great posts in this thread.

Love the ;) about beating once and future GOATs twice.

Sounds like was Gilles was lucky, as Grigor is better than his ranking.

green25814, I like what you're saying about Dimitrov having to learn, and about Simon remembering how to play smart. And Sammy, when the players are that good looking, tennis wins. :D

Chiakifug
06-10-2009, 08:56 PM
Simon haters are so fucking annoying. Normally its when a player loses they come out, these ones come out all the time. :rolleyes:

Hope he stays in the top 10 for a loooooooooooooong time just to piss you all off more! :worship:

GlennMirnyi
06-10-2009, 09:01 PM
Take it easy,look at him after 2-3 years:cool:

Why don't YOU wait some 2-3 years and THEN you rate him highly?

Would be good. He's got a nice game.

Glenn - I couldn't give a shit or rat's ass about how the Grisha bandwagon makes you sick. Man up or get the hell out of MTF. Seriously we're all sick and tired of your fucking daily bitchfest.

If you didn't like it, shove it. I couldn't care less about what you think. :)

Etern
06-10-2009, 09:02 PM
To bad Grigor couldn't take the setpoints in first set tie break.

out_here_grindin
06-10-2009, 09:04 PM
I hope I'm wrong cause I really like his game, but choking doesn't go away...

Did Nadal and Federer win every close game in their early careers? No. Did they choke some away? You bet they did. i wouldn't call todays loss a choke anyway. Dimitrov never really imploded or went away in the big moments, it was just simon showing more experience because he is a top 10 player after all.

drazyc
06-10-2009, 09:20 PM
Grigor's major concern is not that he loses to a top 10 player. His biggest concern is that he is not able to win many matches on the challenger tour. We can't expect him to beat top 10 players, but he has to beat players around 100 or weaker if he has any intention of breaking into top 100.

MsTree
06-10-2009, 09:46 PM
Simon haters are so fucking annoying. Normally its when a player loses they come out, these ones come out all the time. :rolleyes:

Hope he stays in the top 10 for a loooooooooooooong time just to piss you all off more! :worship:

:lol:

Deivid23
06-10-2009, 10:05 PM
Amazing how Simon has won this match in straight sets. He should enjoy while it lasts, Grisha is going to crush him soon enough, what a player this kid is going to become in a few years´ time :worship:

rtgy
06-10-2009, 10:15 PM
Did Nadal and Federer win every close game in their early careers? No. Did they choke some away? You bet they did. i wouldn't call todays loss a choke anyway. Dimitrov never really imploded or went away in the big moments, it was just simon showing more experience because he is a top 10 player after all.

Grigor's major concern is not that he loses to a top 10 player. His biggest concern is that he is not able to win many matches on the challenger tour. We can't expect him to beat top 10 players, but he has to beat players around 100 or weaker if he has any intention of breaking into top 100.

:worship::worship::worship::worship::worship:

Bilbo
06-10-2009, 10:17 PM
good for tennis

Vida
06-10-2009, 10:24 PM
saw only 1 game of the match, simons served in 1st set... cant wait to watch dimitrov for an entire match.

Har-Tru
06-10-2009, 10:36 PM

just my impression. I've only seen three games of this guy admittedly. But I stand by what I said. Nadal and Federer choked sometimes, but if they weren't top players at Dimitrov's age it wasn't because of their choking, which is Dimitrov's case.

Bilbo
06-10-2009, 10:37 PM
Amazing how Simon has won this match in straight sets. He should enjoy while it lasts, Grisha is going to crush him soon enough, what a player this kid is going to become in a few years´ time :worship:

the 2nd berdych?

Dini
06-10-2009, 10:39 PM
He's a touch clumsy on court. :lol: :o

But the potential is there. ;)

sunsfuns
06-10-2009, 10:43 PM
I guess I won't be very original by saying that I like the kids game... :)

malisha
06-10-2009, 10:45 PM
sad day for tennis

this time next year if they play a match Simon will be lucky to win 3 games per set

malisha
06-10-2009, 10:57 PM
the 2nd berdych?

Lol BIlbo

jmsx521
06-11-2009, 04:36 AM
I didn't see him more improved... I think he played better in Rotterdam and Marseille.

bleu_cheese
06-11-2009, 05:00 AM
I think I'm required to be his fan now. I'm a sucker for head cases.

dodo
06-11-2009, 08:18 AM
Nice shotmaking by GriGoat. Sad to see him gift both sets to Simon like that. That ball was so clearly in the 2nd set, cannot believe he didnt see/challenge it.
Looked like his first time on grass, could hardly count the times he almost or completely lost his footing.
Still, hope to see this kid live up to the hype.

HeretiC
06-11-2009, 08:42 AM
I didn't see him more improved... I think he played better in Rotterdam and Marseille.

Then you did not watch careful, this is grass, the surface on which even much more experience players can't accommodate till the end of their careers. His slice has improved, volleys, his forehand consistency too, he is much more patient than he used to be, you can even see that he starts to think a bit instead of going for hot shots all the time. That is quite a lot for a few months job. Lundgren is going into right direction with this kid. Of course, there are still a mountains to be climbed, but the potential is definitely present in large quantities. If everything goes with this dynamics, we should be expecting some decent results from him in 1-2 years.

Goldenoldie
06-11-2009, 08:52 AM
I only watched a few games but I was more impressed with Dimitrov than most of the "young guns" who have been receiving attention recently (Gulbis, Troicki, Nishikori etc). I think he has Cilic type potential

Forehander
06-11-2009, 09:33 AM
Battle of the bony assed baby faces. Gilly-weed is a hot mess though, while Grigor should have won this.

Duh, Dimitrov is 17. Of course he's a baby face. Wait till he's 20's and you'd be drooling all over yourself unless you're a fan of ugly mugs like Del Potro and Marin Cilic.

born_on_clay
06-11-2009, 09:39 AM
This Grigir can be a big deal in the future

feuselino
06-11-2009, 10:02 AM
Off-topic: Great signature, infinityfed. Took me a bit to figure out... ;)

Bernard Black
06-11-2009, 11:26 AM
Hehe, the kid's quite exciting to watch, though at the moment lacking a big weapon, has an ugly slice and poor volleys as you'd expect from a junior.

I like the look of the serve and the forehand, though they were inconsistent in this match, you can clearly see he has a solid foundation to build on there. Backhand could be spectacular, though it's not quite Gasquet standard yet, I like that he's not afraid to unleash it when the opening is there.

The Federer comparisons are obviously going to be made, and to be fair, the Swiss had a similar game in his younger days, though I don't think Dimitrov is quite as talented as Federer was. With work on fitness and movement though, he could be right up there in a few years. I wish him all the best.

sammy01
06-11-2009, 12:38 PM
Duh, Dimitrov is 17. Of course he's a baby face. Wait till he's 20's and you'd be drooling all over yourself unless you're a fan of ugly mugs like Del Potro and Marin Cilic.

i think hes 18 now, and some of us drool already :o:p

Dini
06-11-2009, 12:42 PM
Off-topic: Great signature, infinityfed. Took me a bit to figure out... ;)