Will any of these oldish players ever win a Grand slam? Post your views. [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Will any of these oldish players ever win a Grand slam? Post your views.

whattheheck
06-10-2009, 12:09 PM
1. Fernando Gonzalez
2. Nikolay Davydenko
3. Tommy Robredo
4. David Nalbandian
4. James Blake
5. David Ferrer
6. Tomas Berdych
7. Radek Stepanek
8. Tommy Haas

Or will they forever be overshadowed by the top 4 players? Clock's ticking.

CmonAussie
06-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Gonzalez might have just lost his last chance,, if he had defeated Soderling in the FO SF he might have been capable of upseting FED in the final due to the pressure on Roger..

Nalbandain has the best chance,, though considering his attitude, weight and now serious injury~~ probably won`t happen!

Certinfy
06-10-2009, 12:14 PM
Gonzo, Blake and Berdych would be the 3 i would pick if they would all play there best.

born_on_clay
06-10-2009, 12:56 PM
None of them
And it's a pity....

Audacity
06-10-2009, 12:58 PM
The last few years now have been dominated by Federer and Nadal. I can't see this trend changing, particularly outside the top 4. :shrug:

DartMarcus
06-10-2009, 12:59 PM
Gonzalez can reach final one day, I think.
Blake can reach semis at USO at best.
Davydenko can reach semis at any Slam, but Wimby.
Robredo, Ferrer will probably reach qf some more times.
Stepanek and Haas have got chances for some suprising slam runs.
Berdych can still reach slam final. Time is not running out for him.

Murraylicious
06-10-2009, 01:19 PM
Tomas Berdych is old? No!

oranges
06-10-2009, 01:25 PM
What a mix of both generations and different potentials in there?!?

BackhandMissile
06-10-2009, 01:35 PM
Out of the list, I think Davydenko was someone who had the chance but no longer does. He seems to lack killer instinct and maybe the desire to win?

Nalbandian is someone who should have won multiple slams under normal circumstances. Lots of talent. Now it seems to be too late.

James Blake? Only looked good for a short while. Don't think he's made of Grand Slam material.

Berdych and Haas seem to be too content with playing up to round 4 or QF's. They won't get much further.

Stepanek is someone who rate quite highly in terms of ability. Don't really know why he hasn't done much at slams.

In any case your answer is that none of them are likely to win a slam. Gonzalez has the best chance of the list (just had a big chance as well), but he needs to concentrate a lot more when he's playing.

dodo
06-10-2009, 01:37 PM
1. Fernando Gonzalez
probably blew his last chance. from a double break up, too. shameful, really. then again, against THAT fed, he wouldnt have stood a chance anyway.
2. Nikolay Davydenko
no. well, he is pretty good at beating players below him, so if we get another miracle semi lineup like last RG, he might stand a chance. Then again, anyone could from that position.
3. Tommy Robredo
never had a chance, never will.
4. David Nalbandian
he has some chances at USO. time is running out bigtime, though.
4. James Blake
hell, no.
5. David Ferrer
if he can recapture his 2007 form, he could be a contender. but it seems he is only moving backwards nowadays.
6. Tomas Berdych
he isnt old at all, only 23. great shotmaker, can beat anyone on an on day, no reason why he couldnt have a few at the tail end of a slam. well, his lack of testicular fortitude, but if sodaking can man up, why cant he.
7. Radek Stepanek
never was good enough.
8. Tommy Haas
too old, too injured, too much of a choker

Everko
06-10-2009, 01:43 PM
they are no where near Grand slam worthy

MacTheKnife
06-10-2009, 01:44 PM
First of all, let's make a distinction between "these players", and oldish style players. (you have quite a variance in styles listed) The players you've listed aren't exactly mental giants under pressure, regardless of their style. So my answer is, it is highly unlucky, but more due to their mental approach than their style of play.

andylovesaustin
06-10-2009, 01:45 PM
For purely sentimental reasons, I'll pick James Blake and Tommy Haas.

James.. well he's an American.. so. But also he's had to overcome some physical challenges and then the loss of his dad which was devastating to him. The J-block and James get on my nerves sometimes though.

And Tommy Haas--he's also had injury problems.. plus has that "choker" stigma. And I thought I read both of his parents were killed in a car crash?:confused:
I also think Hass is very attractive!:inlove:

marcRD
06-10-2009, 01:45 PM
1. Fernando Gonzalez
No
2. Nikolay Davydenko
Maybe if Nadal and Federer somehow stops dominating, I can see him beat all other guys on clay and hardcourt
3. Tommy Robredo
NEEEEEEVVEER!
4. David Nalbandian
His only chanse is to come in on a great indoor run to Australian open, if he gets to SF he can beat any of the big guys.
4. James Blake
Nope.
5. David Ferrer
Dont think so, but maybe he could if the draw opens ut in RG like 2009
6. Tomas Berdych
Small chanse in Australian open.
7. Radek Stepanek
No.
8. Tommy Haas
Old and close to retire, I am sure he wont get to another SF.

shotgun
06-10-2009, 01:55 PM
All these players are over the hill with the exception of Berdych.

nanoman
06-10-2009, 01:56 PM
To win a Slam you have to go through Fed at some stage. So I'll give the best chance to Nalbandian, since the rest of them are Federer's resident bitches.

Mint Chip
06-10-2009, 02:18 PM
Nalbandian should of won the U.S. open if he would of taken that match point against Roddick. He still able to beat anyone if he puts his mind to it.
Davydenko can win a slam but all about consistency and he needs to get a little more variety in his game.
Berdych is a lost cause unless he wakes the hell up and play like he can all the time.
Haas preety much isn't mentally there to win a slam but it would be great if he won one before he packs it up
Gonzo has some time left and is too inconsistent to win one and isn't patient enough
Stepanek is pretty much too late
Robredo shouldn't even be on the list
Blake sucks
Ferrer is too much of a hot head to win a slam and can win one if he gets more variety but nowadays you don't really need that much varity to win a slam.

Goldenoldie
06-10-2009, 02:22 PM
Only Nalbandian has any chance

superslam77
06-10-2009, 02:26 PM
Gonzo and Nalbandian maybe Kolya..the rest have no chance.

ballbasher101
06-10-2009, 02:49 PM
1. Fernando Gonzalez
2. Nikolay Davydenko
3. Tommy Robredo
4. David Nalbandian
4. James Blake
5. David Ferrer
6. Tomas Berdych
7. Radek Stepanek
8. Tommy Haas

Boredo winning a major, the world will come to an end. Radek the lady's man winning a major, no way in hell. Haas is past it. Davydenko would rather choke than win a major. Blake is too much of an idiot to win a major. The ass lord Gonzo is too inconsistent to be a major winner. David I love burgers Nalbandian would rather stuff himself with fries than win a major. David Ferrer lacks the power game to trouble the big boys so his place is at the kids table. Berdych should not be on the list since he is not that old.

thrust
06-10-2009, 02:50 PM
Easy one- NO!

miura
06-10-2009, 03:21 PM
1. Fernando Gonzalez
2. Nikolay Davydenko
3. Tommy Robredo
4. David Nalbandian
4. James Blake
5. David Ferrer
6. Tomas Berdych
7. Radek Stepanek
8. Tommy Haas

:spit: :haha:

Chiakifug
06-10-2009, 03:24 PM
Sexy will worm his way to Wimby this year.

freeandlonely
06-10-2009, 10:05 PM
Nalbandian.
I still believe.

Cloudygirl
06-10-2009, 10:35 PM
If fit Dave ever turns up to a slam he could win but I think its too late now.

Berdych isn't old he has just been around forever.

Henry Kaspar
06-10-2009, 10:38 PM
Unlikely.

lazybear
06-10-2009, 11:23 PM
I like Nalbi's and Haas' game the most, they're tremendous talents, who could have (and probably should have) done it, but now it's looking really unlikely, especially for Haas. Nalbi has a chance, he's only 27. I think they're the most talented from that group. Gonzalez, Davydenko, Blake (only at USO), they have a puncher's chance as well. If i could choose one guy, it would be Blake at the USO.

sunsfuns
06-10-2009, 11:27 PM
1. Fernando Gonzalez
probably blew his last chance. from a double break up, too. shameful, really. then again, against THAT fed, he wouldnt have stood a chance anyway.
2. Nikolay Davydenko
no. well, he is pretty good at beating players below him, so if we get another miracle semi lineup like last RG, he might stand a chance. Then again, anyone could from that position.
3. Tommy Robredo
never had a chance, never will.
4. David Nalbandian
he has some chances at USO. time is running out bigtime, though.
4. James Blake
hell, no.
5. David Ferrer
if he can recapture his 2007 form, he could be a contender. but it seems he is only moving backwards nowadays.
6. Tomas Berdych
he isnt old at all, only 23. great shotmaker, can beat anyone on an on day, no reason why he couldnt have a few at the tail end of a slam. well, his lack of testicular fortitude, but if sodaking can man up, why cant he.
7. Radek Stepanek
never was good enough.
8. Tommy Haas
too old, too injured, too much of a choker

I agree.

Fit and highly motivated Nalby (yeah right...) is the only one of them who could have won slams in this era. Maybe Gonzo too. Everybody else would need a Johansson size luck. ;)

Bargearse
06-11-2009, 08:35 AM
no.

Mimi
06-11-2009, 09:07 AM
how cruel, they are not that old right? except Haas and Radek:confused::wavey:

MurrayFan1
06-11-2009, 02:09 PM
Stepanek can cause the top players problems. I think he'd have the best chance. But there would have to be a few upsets and one or two of the top 4 going out early.

Burrow
06-11-2009, 02:38 PM
AHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA

Berdych, the 23 year old Czech...OLD!