*Mardy at the USO - Cheering Thread* [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

*Mardy at the USO - Cheering Thread*

Jennay
08-23-2004, 04:38 PM
So, after Mardy's terrific run at the Olympics, he goes to NY with a silver medal. Can he go further than ever before with his new found confidence? :D

Depending on the draw, I think Mardy can get to the 4th round or Quarterfinals. I don't think any further, yet, because of his lack of experience in big matches.

Good luck to Mardy in Flushing Medows! :bigclap: :banana: :yippee:

andyroxmysox12191
08-23-2004, 10:06 PM
go mardy :banana: let's see how his draw is first....then we'll see how far he can make it ;)

MissPovaFan
08-23-2004, 10:16 PM
My prediction for Mardy is that he will reach the THIRD ROUND.

Aleksa's Laydee
08-24-2004, 09:53 AM
My prediction for Mardy is that he will reach the THIRD ROUND.

why thanks for that insight :rolleyes:

Aleksa's Laydee
08-24-2004, 09:54 AM
Good Luck mardy you can win it :woohoo:

Golfnduck
08-24-2004, 09:07 PM
When does the draw for the USO come out?

snaillyyy
08-24-2004, 09:16 PM
The main draw will be done tomorrow. Qualifying draw is on the USOpen website.
http://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/draws/index.html

Aleksa's Laydee
08-24-2004, 10:45 PM
Lets pray for a FAB draw :)

andyroxmysox12191
08-25-2004, 06:53 PM
well the draw is out obviously *sigh* max in the second round probably :fiery: then timmy :sobbing: i hope he can pull through this.

tangerine_dream
08-25-2004, 08:06 PM
S/V players don't bother him. Mardy has beaten Beastie and Timbo before. The one thing that's always questionable (and more so now after the Olympics) is his mental strength. Does he believe he can win? Does he want to? Will the crowd help him or will it jangle his nerves? I hope Mardy can go deeper at USO this year than he has in years past.

On top of that: a potential rematch with Massu in the quarters. Heh. :devil:

Aleksa's Laydee
08-25-2004, 10:10 PM
Carlos Moya ESP (3) v.Brian Baker USA

Qualifier v Amer Delic USA

Qualifier v.Alexander Popp GER

Olivier Rochus BEL v. Mario Ancic CRO (27)

Dominik Hrbaty SVK (22)v.Oscar Hernandez ESP

Karol Kucera SVK v Xavier Malisse BEL

Qualifier v.Qualifier

Victor Hanescu ROM v. Paradorn Srichaphan THA (15)

Gaston Gaudio ARG (9)v.Juan Monaco ARG

Daniel Elsner GER v.Thomas Johansson SWE :sobbing: noooooooo

Greg Rusedski GBR v. Cyril Saulnier FRA :sobbing: noooooooo

Qualifier v.Nicolas Kiefer GER (19) ouch

Mardy Fish USA (26)v.David Ferrer ESP

Qualifier v. Max Mirnyi BLR

Irakli Labadze GEO v. Qualifier

Ivo Karlovic CRO v. Tim Henman GBR

Jennay
08-26-2004, 12:31 AM
Tough draw for Mardy. Lets hope the Olympic final was positive to his frame of mind and he can go far :bigclap:

Deboogle!.
08-26-2004, 01:50 AM
Let's hope Mardy is PHYSICALLY ok for the USO.. then I worry about his noggin

-sOfia-
08-27-2004, 01:57 AM
Cmon Mardy :bounce:

Golfnduck
08-27-2004, 05:05 PM
I'm also a little worried how Mardy will be mentally for the USO. But he will have a little down time to reflect on the match which could help him or hurt him depending on how he looks at it.

Deboogle!.
08-28-2004, 03:33 PM
I think Mardy will be ok mentally... for him, I mean. he went right to NYC where he hopefully met up with his coach, he had Andy and the rest of the US team around and he said that he and Andy were gonna hit a lot at the USO - if there's one thing Andy can share with his friend, it's that he doesn't mentally dwell on losses too much. Hopefully the two of them could hit together, practice, and also enjoy the city a little to help Mardy move forward mentally :) And mardy has the benefit of what should be a relatively easy first round match, to get his feet and his head into the tournament

Aleksa's Laydee
08-29-2004, 06:35 PM
Mardy plays second on armstrong court on the opening day....good luck mardy :banana:

Jennay
08-29-2004, 07:08 PM
Thanks Siobhan :hug:

Lets go Mardy! :banana: :banana: :bigclap:

Aleksa's Laydee
08-30-2004, 08:54 PM
COME ON MARDY!!!! 7-5 6-3 *4-1 :woohoo:

Aleksa's Laydee
08-30-2004, 09:00 PM
finishes it with an ace!!! 7-5 6-3 6-2 :D :D :D :woohoo: :yeah:

Aleksa's Laydee
08-30-2004, 09:50 PM
and mardy wont face max in the next round :woohoo: :banana:

Aleksa's Laydee
08-30-2004, 09:52 PM
:worship: :worship: :worship:

Aleksa's Laydee
08-30-2004, 10:03 PM
and some more ;)

Deboogle!.
08-30-2004, 10:13 PM
Mardy got a break with his draw not having to face max

but... the stats from today's match are relatively horrific. He NEEDS to get up his first serve % and decrease the DFs and UEs or he won't be around too long.
http://www.usopen.org/en_US/scores/stats/day7/1129ms.html

Jennay
08-30-2004, 10:37 PM
Nice win Mardy! :banana: :D

Stupid USA only showed the first set :rolleyes:

snaillyyy
08-30-2004, 10:47 PM
Great pics Siobhan! Thanks :cool: :banana:

Nice to see Mardy get the first match out the way

melissa7
08-31-2004, 02:53 AM
Yay Mardy!! :dance:

-sOfia-
08-31-2004, 03:15 AM
Yay Mardyyyy!!!

tangerine_dream
08-31-2004, 04:36 PM
Awesome win, Mardy! Keep up the great playing. :yeah: And thanks for the pictures, bjorkfish. He looks great. :)

August 30, 2004
Fish prefers gold, but Open to this win

By David Boroff
ESPN.com

NEW YORK -- Mardy Fish relished competing in the Olympics, but this week, his goals are a bit more "Grand."

Fresh off his silver-medal performance in Athens, Fish hopes to reach new heights at the U.S. Open.

Looking to make the second week of a Grand Slam event for the first time ever, the American started strong at the Open on Monday, routing David Ferrer 7-5, 6-3, 6-2.

Earlier this month, Fish fell to Chile's Nicolas Massu in the Olympic final to capture the silver.

Fish certainly appreciates his Olympic experience. He was honored -- along with other medalists -- in a ceremony at Arthur Ashe Stadium involving former President George Bush on Monday night.

"A lot of people have been asking me, you know, what would you rather do, win a gold medal or win a Grand Slam," Fish said. "I would prefer a gold medal around my neck with the national anthem playing. You know, I think that would be the ultimate in sports for me."

But while Fish will have to wait four more years for the possibility of another shot at gold, a more immediate opportunity looms if Fish gets hot in Flushing. He next plays Michal Tabara of the Czech Republic.

But the lessons he learned in Athens were not lost over the Atlantic.

Fish tried to be more aggressive at the Games, not just relying on his powerful serve. This different approach proved useful in his victory on Monday, as Fish struggled with his first serve, missing more than half of his attempts.

"I went over [to Athens] and really found a game plan that, you know, can work if I'm not serving well, because I didn't really serve my best over there," Fish said. "If you look at a lot of the tournaments that I've won or the finals that I've made, I've always served well."

It was an interesting day and night for the American men as a whole. Andre Agassi, amid rumors that this might be his last Open at 34, beat Robby Ginepri in straight sets. Taylor Dent advanced when Younes El Aynaoui of Morocco retired in the second set.

Up-and-coming American Brian Baker, in as a wild card, lost to third-seeded Carlos Moya after taking the first set. And Todd Martin capped Day 1 with an emotional retirement announcement after losing a four-setter to Fabrice Santoro.

--------------

Notebook: Silver medalist Fish, Dent reinvigorated by Games

Aug. 30, 2004
SportsLine.com wire reports

NEW YORK -- Americans Mardy Fish and Taylor Dent went to Athens for the Summer Olympics with low expectations and returned home with renewed confidence -- and in Fish's case a silver medal.

They both showed off their rejuvenated games Monday in the opening round of the U.S. Open.

With his medal resting in his locker, the 26th-seeded Fish easily dispatched David Ferrer 7-5, 6-3, 6-2 in two hours. The medalists were honored at a ceremony before the night session.

"I feel like the Olympics has gotten me back on track," Fish said. "You know if I can take advantage and really ... try to scrap out some wins and try to play, you know, some good tennis against some really good players deep in a grand slam."

Dent, seeded 21st, was leading Younes El Aynaoui 6-1, 2-1 when the Moroccan quit because of an existing right foot injury.

Dent made it to the semifinals in Athens, where he lost to eventual champion Nicolas Massu of Chile in a 16-14 third set. While he didn't get a medal, Dent relished the Olympic experience and felt it was a bonus that he advanced so far.

"I think that week I got back to where I was a year ago around this time where I was really not too concerned at how I was executing my game, and I was just really worried about -- I mean not worried, but really focused on how I was mentally competing out on the court," Dent said.

tangerine_dream
09-01-2004, 05:41 PM
:banana:

September 1, 2004

Fish's Claims INDESIT ATP Player of the Month Honor

America’s Mardy Fish is the INDESIT ATP 2004 Race Player of the Month for August after his impressive run at the 2004 Olympic Games in Athens, where he claimed the silver medal. The American climbed 21 positions, the biggest jump in the Top 50 of the INDESIT ATP 2004 Race in August.

Fish began the month in 48th position, but he stormed to the final of the Olympic Tennis Event, winning five consecutive matches and defeating former World No. 1 Juan Carlos Ferrero en route. After collecting 56 points, the American jumped to 27th place in the INDESIT ATP 2004 Race.

Fish said: “It is an honor to be named INDESIT ATP Race Player of the Month. The past few weeks have been some of the most exciting of my life. The Olympics was a wonderful experience and one that I will never forget. I hope to turn that momentum into some great tennis for the rest of the year.”

From June through October 2004, INDESIT presents a series of monthly competitions in collaboration with Eurosport to promote the INDESIT ATP 2004 Race. The competition is promoted on both Eurosport television and eurosport.com, where it is hosted on a micro-site under www.eurosport.com/gamezone. Contestants’ knowledge of tennis and the INDESIT ATP 2004 Race are put to the test as they vote for the player they believe will move the most positions in the coming month.

-sOfia-
09-02-2004, 03:58 AM
:bounce:

Mardyy!

Aleksa's Laydee
09-02-2004, 12:26 PM
mardy, 3rd on Armstrong court today........GOOD LUCK MARDY!!!!!!!!!!! :banana:

Jennay
09-02-2004, 05:21 PM
Good luck Mardy! Kick some ass! :D

tangerine_dream
09-02-2004, 05:46 PM
Matthew Cronin's Picks: Day 4
by Matthew Cronin
Thursday, September 2, 2004

26-MARDY FISH (USA) vs. MICHAEL TABARA (CZE)

Every point, every game, every set is critical now for Fish, who knows that he's being tabbed as the surprise semifinalist in his quarter. He showed in Athens that he has the potential to be a second-week force at the Slams, but he's never gotten out of the first week before so must keep keenly focused at all times.

The quick Tabara has been struggling with various ailments during the past couple years and has been unable to lift himself off the Challenger circuit on a full-time basis. He's fairly fast and has a big forehand, but if Fish keeps coming to net and putting away makeable volleys, he'll have Tabara wishing he was back in his hotel banging his head to the violent sounds of his favorite band, Metallica. Fish will put together a fine all-court effort and triumph in straight sets.

------------

Good luck Mardy!!!!! :banana:

Aleksa's Laydee
09-02-2004, 08:11 PM
Some yummy pics from the match :drool: :D

Aleksa's Laydee
09-02-2004, 08:20 PM
and a few more :wavey:

Jennay
09-02-2004, 08:47 PM
Thanks for the pics Siobhan :drool:

Jennay
09-02-2004, 10:37 PM
*Sigh* How did this happen? :tears:

Tabara Def. Fish 3-6 6-3 6-1 3-6 3-6

Double fault on matchpoint and breakpoint :sad: :smash:

Deboogle!.
09-02-2004, 11:08 PM
*sighs and throws hands up* I give up :tears:

Aleksa's Laydee
09-02-2004, 11:38 PM
*sighs and throws hands up* I give up :tears:

while siobhan *sighs and bangs head on table repeatedly*

mardy whats going wrong up there (in ya head???) :confused: :rolleyes: :o

-sOfia-
09-02-2004, 11:39 PM
Mardy :sad:

im sorry but he is kinda inconsistent! or he is inconsistent..

tangerine_dream
09-03-2004, 12:33 AM
Dammit Mardy! :banghead: Why, why, WHY do you insist on losing matches you shouldn't be losing to players you should be beating?? Gah! Now I know how the Safin fans feel. So frustrating. :sobbing:

Check out these pics of Mardy:

"Doh! I choked again!
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040902/capt.xnyf19909022259.u_s_open_xnyf199.jpg
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040902/capt.xnyf19309022204.u_s_open_xnyf193.jpg

Hee! Mardy wears black underwear. Just like Lleyton Hewitt. ;) :hearts: :yeah:
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040902/capt.xnyf19809022254.u_s_open_xnyf198.jpg

I bow to thee....oh, Roger the Great....
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040902/capt.xnyf19609022251.u_s_open_xnyf196.jpg

PinkFeatherBoa
09-03-2004, 01:27 AM
:lol: at the pictures Tang. They tell a sad but somewhat true story. I was particuarly intrigued by the fact that he is holding his head in the second to last pic, one can only wonder what goes on inside there. :rolleyes: The Safin fever of the brain is evidently spreading. :shrug::sad:

rue
09-03-2004, 01:49 AM
It really is a shame that he lost a match that he should have won. I think that it will take him a bit of time to really figure out how to be more match tough and get himself in the best shape possible. He has got things he needs to work on and if he does that, or when he does that things will happen for him. He needs more time especially mentally to get it all together. He's got the game, but sometimes his emotions do tend to take over and that could make him lose just like today and in Athens.

andyroxmysox12191
09-03-2004, 03:00 AM
:bigcry: mardeeeeeee :bigcry: i thought he'd at least make it farther :sad: damn dfs :(

Aleksa's Laydee
09-03-2004, 10:21 AM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040902/capt.xnyf19609022251.u_s_open_xnyf196.jpg
He's taken *bannging your head on the table* to a new dimension *banging your head on the tennis court* :haha: :p

Aleksa's Laydee
09-03-2004, 12:01 PM
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040902/capt.xnyf19909022259.u_s_open_xnyf199.jpg

:scared: bugger its athens all over again :scared:

:haha: ;) lets try to lighten up the atmosphere :yeah: :)

Jennay
09-03-2004, 02:48 PM
This is a serious repeat of Athens. Bad call, doublefaults, brainfart, loses. :(