Why isn't Queens's ATP 500 tournament? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Why isn't Queens's ATP 500 tournament?

KrisJB
06-10-2009, 09:18 AM
That's quite ridiculous considering the fact that every grass tournament (except Wimbledon) is a standard ATP 250. Queen's and even Halle have strong fields and it should be proved by ranking points. It's quite funny that Delray Beach, Houston and Queen's are rated in the same way. What is the reason?

orangehat
06-10-2009, 09:20 AM
some ridiculous 500s like Memphis and Acapulco should be removed and replaced with this.

HeretiC
06-10-2009, 09:29 AM
The answer is simple: prize money, when they come up with more bucks(~3 times more than now) they'll get 500.

Bilbo
06-10-2009, 09:37 AM
some ridiculous 500s like Memphis and Acapulco should be removed and replaced with this.

doesn't london has enough big tournaments?

orangehat
06-10-2009, 09:46 AM
doesn't london has enough big tournaments?

Well if not Queens, some other tournaments which could gain some decent lineup unlike the clownish entry list in memphis.

mr_burns
06-10-2009, 09:49 AM
The top of the fields looks always good, but for instance the field in general isn't that strong (even non top 100 directly in)

so that might be ok...and of course it's about money

In general I would like another grass season

RG
Queens/?
Halle as a Masters and maybe joint(just dreaming;-)
Eastbourne/?
Wimbledon

orangehat
06-10-2009, 09:52 AM
The top of the fields looks always good, but for instance the field in general isn't that strong (even non top 100 directly in)

It's a 56 player draw, and the cut off was 103.
In memphis, a 32 player draw, the cut off was 82.

scoobs
06-10-2009, 10:11 AM
I'm guessing they weren't prepared to stump up the extra cash.

Lopez
06-10-2009, 10:53 AM
I'm guessing they weren't prepared to stump up the extra cash.

Exactly.

It's not like they need to lure the top players with prize money to play there. It's one of the few Wimbledon tune-up events, so they'll get a great field of players even if the prize money and ranking points available are small.

Goldenoldie
06-10-2009, 11:23 AM
Money, money always money

scoobs
06-10-2009, 11:52 AM
Exactly.

It's not like they need to lure the top players with prize money to play there. It's one of the few Wimbledon tune-up events, so they'll get a great field of players even if the prize money and ranking points available are small.
exactly - and the ticket prices are already quite exorbitant as it is - any extra prize money offered to make the event a 500 would mean an increase on the gate, something I think they would be reluctant to do in case of hitting demand.

TheWall
06-10-2009, 12:20 PM
They should make Queens a masters and kill Indian Wells or some other ultraslow hardcourt tournament.

oranges
06-10-2009, 01:31 PM
And did you see that by playing and winning a first Round
Main Draw match, players like Hewitt for example earned only 5 points.

That is an absolute joke

Not only that, those who won two 250 tournies already are basically playing just as a warmup, with no points to be gained, other than perhaps slight increase of grass points for Wimby seeding :o

TheBoiledEgg
06-10-2009, 03:02 PM
its now the same as winning Eastbourne :lol: before it was woty alot more.

might as well as play the week after and play joke players.

philosophicalarf
06-10-2009, 04:28 PM
They should make Queens a masters and kill Indian Wells or some other ultraslow hardcourt tournament.

I'd prefer they killed Miami, cos Indian Wells is nice and unique in the surface/weather combination - imposes different demands on players. Both have too big crowds though, they'll never be under threat.

Kill Canada or Cinci imo, too many N American masters.