Will Roland Garros 2009 go down as the Mickey Mouse GS of the decade? [Archive] - MensTennisForums.com

Will Roland Garros 2009 go down as the Mickey Mouse GS of the decade?

06-10-2009, 04:28 AM
Even more so than the first Grand Slam of 2008 played on Plexiclay which Djokovic won beating a mug in the final, or the 2005 Australian Open?

Federer had the dream draw and still almost blew it twice, to Hass and Del Potro in 5 setters!

I'm thrilled Federer won his 14th GS, he played solid at times. But if the historians think this is all he needs to do to be GOAT, I can understand their skepticism. He hasn't really turned around his rut completely (Madrid was a great start), he needs Wimbleton too and US open preferably. He was still vintage Fed Error at times, this gives him perfect spring board for Wimbledon though.

rofe
06-10-2009, 04:33 AM
It was always a MM GS along with the AO. Wins in those two tournaments should not be considered valid.

Wimbly and USO are where the real action is.

JolánGagó
06-10-2009, 06:37 AM
Yes, totally MM GS, one with a big *

TMJordan
06-10-2009, 06:39 AM
You are stupid.

ballbasher101
06-10-2009, 06:42 AM
Are people really this jealous of Federer :confused:. The guy deserved it so get over it :mad:.

Arkulari
06-10-2009, 06:43 AM
No, to me it was the AO '08 :o

Ariadne
06-10-2009, 06:54 AM
http://absolutef.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/facepalm.jpg

Mechlan
06-10-2009, 07:51 AM
You haven't been watching tennis very long if you think this was the MM GS of the decade.

As for Federer's "rut", he's just getting older. Funny that people think he's going to somehow turn it around and start dominating again. He's not. He's going to lose as much as he has been the past year. He might have more confidence than before, but that's not a miracle cure for all the problems he's been having.

CmonAussie
06-10-2009, 08:46 AM

AO 08 was MM:rolleyes::confused:
Federer, Nadal, Djokovic & Tsonga ~~ the 4 semifinalists [not a good enough lineup aye]:p

CmonAussie
06-10-2009, 08:50 AM
Even more so than the first Grand Slam of 2008 played on Plexiclay which Djokovic won beating a mug in the final, or the 2005 Australian Open?
Federer had the dream draw and still almost blew it twice, to Hass and Del Potro in 5 setters!

I'm thrilled Federer won his 14th GS, he played solid at times. But if the historians think this is all he needs to do to be GOAT, I can understand their skepticism. He hasn't really turned around his rut completely (Madrid was a great start), he needs Wimbleton too and US open preferably. He was still vintage Fed Error at times, this gives him perfect spring board for Wimbledon though.

2005 AO was MM:rolleyes::confused:
Federer vs. Safin & Hewitt vs. Roddick [Top-4 seeds]~~ yeah good point:p

Here`s some highlights of that MM tourney::
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4U9bp3I3qk

Beat
06-10-2009, 09:07 AM
:help: at this thread. i thought these discussions were over once and for all. oh, how naive of me.

BackhandMissile
06-10-2009, 09:13 AM
Yes, but it's Nadal and Djokovic's fault for playing cluelessly and thinking their presence alone would be enough to carry them all the way.

Federer played whoever was put in front of him. It could have been Djokovic in the semis, and Nadal in the finals, and that alone makes the rest of the draw irrelevant because to beat both in a row in clay is an asking task.

They messed up, and it's their own fault.

oliverbwfc
06-10-2009, 09:21 AM
Nah, Nah, RG 08 was far worse

Commander Data
06-10-2009, 09:23 AM
http://absolutef.files.wordpress.com/2009/04/facepalm.jpg

:yeah::yeah::yeah:

why mickey mouse? all the top players competed. From what I have seen Fed beat the two players with the best form in that week (Del Potro and Söderling), it was well deserved.

BTW: Some experts said that the level of tennis was the best they had seen for years :shrug:

FlavorNuts
06-10-2009, 09:23 AM
No doubt this tournament sucked. Acasuso should have taken Fed out in 3 sets.

zcess81
06-10-2009, 09:47 AM
:yeah::yeah::yeah:

why mickey mouse? all the top players competed. From what I have seen Fed beat the two players with the best form in that week (Del Potro and Söderling), it was well deserved.

BTW: Some experts said that the level of tennis was the best they had seen for years :shrug:

Come on, man. Fed has a 9:0 winning record against Soderling and 6:0 against Del Potro...doesn't this say something about Fed's match-up against them? They can be in the form of their life but they will lose 9/10 times against even average Fed. The only reason why Del Potro made it a match is cause of the pressure/expectations Fed was feeling after Nadal/Novak/Murray all got knocked out.

Deserved win? Sure it is, he beat 7 opponents, so it's all fair...but you cannot deny the luck of the draw he's had.

I know you can only play who's across from the net and it's Nadal/Novak/Murray's fault for getting knocked out, but you cannot deny that certain things had to fall into place before Fed could win the French...and this specifically being NOT having to play Nadal. Everyone knew that if Fed was ever going to win the French in his career one of two things would have to happen...either Nadal getting injured and withdrawing, or Nadal getting knocked out in the earlier rounds (which is what happened). Fed lost WAY too many times to Nadal in FO finals to be able to handle him even at Nadal's 80% level.

Commander Data
06-10-2009, 10:00 AM
Come on, man. Fed has a 9:0 winning record against Soderling and 6:0 against Del Potro...doesn't this say something about Fed's match-up against them? They can be in the form of their life but they will lose 9/10 times against even average Fed. The only reason why Del Potro made it a match is cause of the pressure/expectations Fed was feeling after Nadal/Novak/Murray all got knocked out.

Deserved win? Sure it is...but you cannot deny the luck of the draw he's had.

I know you can only play who's across from the net and it's Nadal/Novak/Murray's fault for getting knocked out, but you cannot deny that certain things had to fall into place before Fed could win the French...and this specifically being NOT having to play Nadal. Everyone knew that if Fed was ever going to win the French in his career one of two things would have to happen...either Nadal getting injured and withdrawing, or Nadal getting knocked out in the earlier rounds (which is what happened). Fed lost WAY too many times to Nadal in FO finals to be able to handle him even at Nadal's 80% level.

Del Potro is very young. No wonder fed has a good head to head that does not necesseraly mean that he is not a though opponent. Lets see in couple years who the head to head looks like. It is just the reality that Federer matches up extremly well with heavy hitters and that he matches up badly with Nadal. His fault? yes, he was a bit lucky with he draw this year. in this regard. but lets fact it, he will always ahve an easy draw unless he faces Nadal on clay.

But that does in no way make it a mickey mouse tournament. His draw looked easy at the beginning on paper but it was actually one of the harder draws as it turned out. I don't think Murray of Nadal actually had the thougher draw if you look at the opponets they in fact had to play.

If every Tournament where the winner does not play the top 3 players is a mickey mouse tournament, then I think most of the GS in the 90's have been mickey mouse events.

06-10-2009, 10:00 AM
You are stupid.

Really? Are you forgetting who Nadal lost to?

If I had made a thread, infact someone did, 2 weeks ago, suggesting Toaderling had a Sweedish meatballs chance in hell of beating Nadal, people would think I was :silly:

This fact alone makes the whole tourney mickey mouse. Nadal was unbeatable on clay!

Federer never had a chance in an 09 final against him, not a chance in hell. Had Federer played a semifinal against anyone else who wasnt :inlove: with his ass, at 2 sets to 1 up, Fed would have been assholed out of that tournament. Same goes for Accausso.

Im sorry but Fed is not reformed. Not yet anyway. Thank god he is virtually untouchable on grass.

Commander Data
06-10-2009, 10:10 AM
Really? Are you forgetting who Nadal lost to?

If I had made a thread, infact someone did, 2 weeks ago, suggesting Toaderling had a Sweedish meatballs chance in hell of beating Nadal, people would think I was :silly:

This fact alone makes the whole tourney mickey mouse. Nadal was unbeatable on clay!

Federer never had a chance in an 09 final against him, not a chance in hell. Had Federer played a semifinal against anyone else who wasnt :inlove: with his ass, at 2 sets to 1 up, Fed would have been assholed out of that tournament. Same goes for Accausso.

Im sorry but Fed is not reformed. Not yet anyway. Thank god he is virtually untouchable on grass.

yeah, really, you are stupid.

RonE
06-10-2009, 10:19 AM
So much bitterness :tears: :lol:

http://www.lakewoodconferences.com/direct/dbimage/50198851/Tissue_Paper.jpg

Feel free to use the whole stack though the way people are going on that will be enough to last for about maybe 5 seconds :unsure:

lina_seta
06-10-2009, 10:19 AM
yeah, really, you are stupid.

ill third that :rolleyes:
another reactionary thread

zcess81
06-10-2009, 10:21 AM
Del Potro is very young. No wonder fed has a good head to head that does not necesseraly mean that he is not a though opponent. Lets see in couple years who the head to head looks like. It is just the reality that Federer matches up extremly well with heavy hitters and that he matches up badly with Nadal. His fault? yes, he was a bit lucky with he draw this year. in this regard. but lets fact it, he will always ahve an easy draw unless he faces Nadal on clay.

But that does in no way make it a mickey mouse tournament. His draw looked easy at the beginning on paper but it was actually one of the harder draws as it turned out. I don't think Murray of Nadal actually had the thougher draw if you look at the opponets they in fact had to play.

If every Tournament where the winner does not play the top 3 players is a mickey mouse tournament, then I think most of the GS in the 90's have been mickey mouse events.

This certainly was not Mickey Mouse tournament. All the top players were there. I never even suggested that it was. It was all fair and square. And yes you are right in that Fed's opponents do always look easy unless it's Nadal...but he's been proved to struggle against Murray/Novak as of late so they would have made it more difficult for him imo. Tennis is very psychological game, regardless of the surface. Murray may not be best on clay, but I'm sure Fed would not like to play him. He'd choose Del Potro any day, since he's beaten him many times. Like you said Del Potro is a hard hitter and has no much variety to his game and that is why Fed handles him very well. And yes, sure in a few years time when Fed is nearly 30, Del Potro Might improve that H2H, but everyone fades with age.

Radalek
06-10-2009, 10:43 AM

One where Djokovic won in straight sets over Federer in first semi and Tsonga steamrolled over Nadal in second one?You are either very spoiled or started to watch tennis 2 years ago...

leng jai
06-10-2009, 10:48 AM
How can a tournament suddenly become MM just because the top players were too clownish to win?

oz_boz
06-10-2009, 11:04 AM
It was always a MM GS along with the AO. Wins in those two tournaments should not be considered valid.

Wimbly and USO are where the real action is.

:lol: Great reply.

On a slightly more serious note RG and Wimbledon are the MM slams of this decade. Among players born after 1980 the hc bias are huge.

born_on_clay
06-10-2009, 01:08 PM
"Yes, a Fed win was almost inevitable"
Holy words !

bokehlicious
06-10-2009, 01:15 PM

:lol: cheer up mate :awww: :hug: :hug:

asmazif
06-10-2009, 01:21 PM
Way to quote 3 of the best slams of the decade.

DDrago2
06-10-2009, 01:23 PM
Unfortunately Wimbledon looks much more so than RG right now, with everything they have done with the suface. RG is made faster but you still see the clay court game there, where Wimbledon matches turned into baseline pounding like what you see on slow hardcourts! No one aproaches the net, very few short points, almost everything can be retrieved

habibko
06-10-2009, 01:25 PM
NADAL DIDN'T EVEN MAKE THE QUARTERS LAWL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nadal lost in R4 of a MM tourney on clay LAWL!!!!!!

finishingmove
06-10-2009, 01:26 PM
u are the mickey mouse king of mtf

asmazif
06-10-2009, 01:32 PM
Oh, and btw, the poll options are completely irrelevant.

Chiakifug
06-10-2009, 01:44 PM
I really enjoyed this tournament. Best in a long while.

SerenaFederer
06-10-2009, 01:47 PM
:lol:

cocrcici
06-10-2009, 01:55 PM
Yes :shrug:.................................:lol:

zcess81
06-10-2009, 02:56 PM
Unfortunately Wimbledon looks much more so than RG right now, with everything they have done with the suface. RG is made faster but you still see the clay court game there, where Wimbledon matches turned into baseline pounding like what you see on slow hardcourts! No one aproaches the net, very few short points, almost everything can be retrieved

How is that a bad thing?

RonE
06-10-2009, 02:59 PM
NADAL DIDN'T EVEN MAKE THE QUARTERS LAWL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nadal lost in R4 of a MM tourney on clay LAWL!!!!!!

:haha: :yeah:

TheBoiledEgg
06-10-2009, 03:00 PM
whole of 2002 slams is closer

Arkulari
06-10-2009, 03:03 PM
Rg '04?

Collective
06-10-2009, 03:04 PM
LOL @ Nadull losing at R4 of a MM tournament (in his best surface). What a loser.

Henry Kaspar
06-10-2009, 03:07 PM
Seems people pick a "mug" slam by who wins it.

Historians of the game will always notice that Nadal wasn't really there -- in a footnote. But that's it.

Collective
06-10-2009, 03:22 PM
Oh he was, you might want to look at the draw again.

It's gonna be a lot of scrolling back though, he didn't even make the second week LOL

MacTheKnife
06-10-2009, 03:23 PM
Started a thread on this after the Nadal loss and the vast majority on MTF stated that it would not diminish the title. Way before Fed won it. Somehow I knew some clown would come up with this.

http://www.menstennisforums.com/showthread.php?t=144889&highlight=diminish

Players play their draw, all the top players were in this one, and a GS win is just that, a GS win.

rwn
06-10-2009, 05:09 PM
Seems people pick a "mug" slam by who wins it.

Historians of the game will always notice that Nadal wasn't really there -- in a footnote. But that's it.

I really think I watched him play. Am I imagining things :unsure:

straitup
06-10-2009, 05:11 PM
Rg '04?

Well I was going to say that too...Henman in the semis even though he was on fire

green25814
06-10-2009, 06:20 PM

You stupid FUCK. It cant be a mickey mouse tournament when EVERY TOP GUY PLAYED.

:retard:

Fumus
06-10-2009, 06:23 PM
You are stupid.

:worship::worship:

Har-Tru
06-10-2009, 06:26 PM
Are people really this jealous of Federer :confused:. The guy deserved it so get over it :mad:.

What he said.

Some people are just :retard:.

09-17-2009, 02:05 AM
Do we have a new contender for Mickey Mouse grand slam of the decade?

US OPEN 2009.

On both the womens side and the mens side it's been a long while since we saw such odd result patterns and drama.

Roddick being beaten by long John Isner
Safina surviving against jokes before losing to a joke.
Mugray pooing his pants aginst sillyic.
Dementieva the anorexic losing (actually nothing abnormal there).
James Blake vs Tommy Robredo and the joke second set deciding game.
Tommy Haas losing after DOMINATING Versasco.
Serena Williams threatening to mame a lines judge and in effect defaulting her semi final.
Fatty Kim Kleighsters coming back from 10 years as a mummy to win a GS in straight set final against a pusher (but a HOT pusher).
3/4 of the female players had guts and were morbidly obese.
Former GS champions Safin and Hewitt dying very slow deaths.
Nadal losing 6-2 6-2 6-2 in a grand slammy. :)
Federer blowing a 2 sets to 1 lead over a GS final virgin.
Federer only winning 2/4 of his tiebreaks in the final 3 matches.
Djokovic going out in straights never breaking Frauderer. (He won a set against jesus Fed in 2008)
Gonzo hitting 77 shanks in 36 minutes to lose 6-0 to Nadal :confused:
A GS final virgin wins his first GS final.
Djokovic has a hotter girlfriend than Federer.
Mega babe Melanie Oudin loses to a pusher after beating solid attacking players.

Was something odd in the air at flushing medows?

selyoink
09-17-2009, 02:29 AM
Anyone with a brain knows that AO 09 is the biggest joke of a slam in history. Nadull winning a hard court slam = fixed, mug-filled joke tournament.

MIMIC
09-17-2009, 02:47 AM
Do we have a new contender for Mickey Mouse grand slam of the decade?

US OPEN 2009.

On both the womens side and the mens side it's been a long while since we saw such odd result patterns and drama.

Roddick being beaten by long John Isner
Safina surviving against jokes before losing to a joke.
Mugray pooing his pants aginst sillyic.
Dementieva the anorexic losing (actually nothing abnormal there).
James Blake vs Tommy Robredo and the joke second set deciding game.
Tommy Haas losing after DOMINATING Versasco.
Serena Williams threatening to mame a lines judge and in effect defaulting her semi final.
Fatty Kim Kleighsters coming back from 10 years as a mummy to win a GS in straight set final against a pusher (but a HOT pusher).
3/4 of the female players had guts and were morbidly obese.
Former GS champions Safin and Hewitt dying very slow deaths.
Nadal losing 6-2 6-2 6-2 in a grand slammy. :)
Federer blowing a 2 sets to 1 lead over a GS final virgin.
Federer only winning 2/4 of his tiebreaks in the final 3 matches.
Djokovic going out in straights never breaking Frauderer. (He won a set against jesus Fed in 2008)
Gonzo hitting 77 shanks in 36 minutes to lose 6-0 to Nadal :confused:
A GS final virgin wins his first GS final.
Djokovic has a hotter girlfriend than Federer.
Mega babe Melanie Oudin loses to a pusher after beating solid attacking players.

Was something odd in the air at flushing medows?

:cool:

guga2120
09-17-2009, 02:54 AM
one with a big *

This sums up Roland Garros, 2009.

jcempire
09-17-2009, 04:43 AM
you beat 70% nadal, is that making you exciting???

jcempire
09-17-2009, 04:44 AM
Anyone with a brain knows that AO 09 is the biggest joke of a slam in history. Nadull winning a hard court slam = fixed, mug-filled joke tournament.

:confused:

you know (how good Nadal is before he run out gas and Injury issue)

09-17-2009, 04:55 AM

I actually enjoyed the tournament on the whole although the final was pretty messed up. Shankerer couldnt beat an aging visibly tired Nadal, people said the longer the match went on the more chance Federer had (given Nadals 5 hour semi against Ferddasco). Then loses 6-2 in the 5th.

SetSampras
09-17-2009, 06:02 AM
Its good to see we have a new man in the swing of things on clay which is Del Potro. Watching Fed and Nadal dominate the weak field on clay for the last 4-5 years was pretty brutal. I thought Djoker was going to do something at the French this year and he went to Kohlschreiber. What the heck? Just the tournament prior he almost beat Nadal and softened him up for Fed at Madrid

Action Jackson
09-17-2009, 12:56 PM
Thread of the year.

2003 should win a few rounds of the ACC.

David Kenzie
09-17-2009, 03:46 PM
Roland Garros might be moved to Disney Land in 10 years :D
http://www.leparisien.fr/seine-et-marne-77/apres-la-f-1-disney-lorgne-sur-roland-garros-12-09-2009-635809.php

06-02-2010, 12:50 PM

This retrospectively may turn out to be the most valid post on Mens Tennis Forums, ever.

:worship:

Beat
06-02-2010, 03:11 PM
This retrospectively may turn out to be the most valid post on Mens Tennis Forums, ever.

:worship:

no, it may not.

Sophocles
06-02-2010, 03:15 PM
Yeah, massive *. Only had to beat next year's champion to win it.

Commander Data
06-02-2010, 03:19 PM
Yeah, massive *. Only had to beat next year's champion to win it.

:yeah:

The Rafatrads kinda shovel their own grave.

What is Rafas clay domination worth if he gets owned at RG :wavey:

If he does not win this year, it is gonna be very funny on MTF.

Garson007
06-02-2010, 03:45 PM
It will always go down as Federer's luck slam, but it's a slam never the less.